PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili deserved the MVP.

IceColdBrewski
06-23-2005, 11:26 PM
Plain and simple. Duncan did good and all but Manu is the main reason we are celebrating tonight.

Duncan getting the MVP is the only problem I have with this celebration. Manu deserves it more.

conversekid
06-23-2005, 11:30 PM
Maybe a Co-MVP... but Spurs go nowhere without Tim. I could handle a Co-mvp, but manu by himself would have been wrong.

kandinski
06-23-2005, 11:30 PM
meaby you are right, but, now is not important, dont you think??
we are the champions...... period...

Trade Parker Church!!!!

Brodels
06-23-2005, 11:31 PM
I still feel that Bowen should have been MVP. I don't really care that much, but he would have gotten my vote.

They wouldn't have won with Duncan or Manu or Bowen. So given that all were integral, Bruce gets my vote because he brought it every night. He hit his outside shots. And he was the defensive MVP of the series. That's half of the game.

He absolutely took Billups out of the game in the second half tonight. And that's as valuable as anything anyone else did.

Nikos
06-23-2005, 11:32 PM
No way I give it to Bowen. I would give it to Duncan by default. But Duncan Ginobili Horry and Bowen were the most important Spurs this series.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-23-2005, 11:33 PM
the shole team was important!!

chungoman
06-23-2005, 11:34 PM
who cares about the mvp right now? man, we're the fuckin champions!

1Parker1
06-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Were you watching Tim Duncan in the 3rd quarter when the game was on the line? Did you see him grabbing those offensive rebounds, diving for those loose balls? Did you see him in the 4th quarter, drawing double teams and making great assists which led to Bowen and Manu's 3 pointers? :rolleyes

Who gives a freak? Bottom line, Bowen, Manu, Horry, and Duncan deserved it, You can't give it to everyone, so you give it to the leader and the guy who holds the team together for 7 games in the Finals. And that's TIM DUNCAN, BABY!

2005 CHAMPS! :)

Experiment2100
06-23-2005, 11:35 PM
His bad decisions in the last game killed his chances

Pistons < Spurs
you guys are sooo much like the Pistons. The great thing about both teams....is that they are true TEAMS. It makes it very difficult to truly choose a MVP. So many guys deserve it. So many guys contributed.

manubili
That proves mvp is overrated. If they gave it to Manu, i would feel unfair with Horry and Tim, etc.

We won the championship and that's what matters!!!!!!!!

T Park
25 and 11 in a finals game is pretty sweet.

I dunno, whenever the big guy gets dominate in a second half like that, its tough to beat that.

Who cares.

atlfan25
06-23-2005, 11:36 PM
they were all mvp's duncan did deserve it the most tho :smokin

manubili
06-23-2005, 11:36 PM
you guys are sooo much like the Pistons. The great thing about both teams....is that they are true TEAMS. It makes it very difficult to truly choose a MVP. So many guys deserve it. So many guys contributed.

exactly!

MaNuMaNiAc
06-23-2005, 11:37 PM

I dunno, whenever the big guy gets dominate in a second half like that, its tough to beat that.

Who cares.
What the hell are you doing here T Park, go celebrate, and don't post here until a year from now quiter!

Dre_7
06-23-2005, 11:38 PM
I knew Timmy would get it when he dove for that lose ball and got the wind knocked out of him. He showed up tonight in soo many ways!!!

Timmy is the MVP!!! With a lil help from Manu and Big Shot Bob. If you have to give it to only one person, its gotta be Timmy!!

spurster
06-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Horry hitting the gamewinner in Game 5 is a BIG reason why the Spurs won this title.

WalterBenitez
06-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Plain and simple. Duncan did good and all but Manu is the main reason we are celebrating tonight.

Duncan getting the MVP is the only problem I have with this celebration. Manu deserves it more.

Maybe, who knows ...

Spurs is Champ again, and probably Manu will improve to reach the only MVP's trophy he has not (up to now).

Timoha
06-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Tim Duncan showed up in a major way in the second half when the game was on the line and DOMINATED and made things happen for others and made his FT :) A great game by him. And some clutch shooting as well.

T Park
06-23-2005, 11:43 PM
What the hell are you doing here T Park, go celebrate, and don't post here until a year from now quiter!

I aint goin nowhere.

Spurs 4 EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MadDog73
06-23-2005, 11:44 PM
No way. Tim was the points and rebound leader for the Spurs. He's where it all happens. When Tony and Manu can't hit the broadside of a barn, Tim is there.

That said, "of course" the team matters. I hate the MVP award. I think players should refuse it. But if it has to be awarded, it has to go to Timmy.

I don't think any player (except Tim, of course) would argue with me.

EDIT: Looking at the playoff stats, Tim dominated Rebounds and Blocked shots, and avg. more points than Manu.

I love Manu and Horry, but Tim deserves it, hands down. We wouldn't even be in the Finals without Tim.

conversekid
06-23-2005, 11:45 PM

Stop talking like this. You're going to make it hard to cuss the pistons :)

sfer1
Duncan scored 25 points but he shot 10 for 27 from the floor.

WayDowntownBang
I think Timmy deserves it. Without his presence in the middle.. and especially his clutch free throws tonight, the Spurs don't win.

Manu was amazing, and who can deny Horry.. but, I think you have to give it to Duncan.

chaco
06-23-2005, 11:46 PM
The people's MVP: Ginobili caps dream season with big Game 7
By Greg Beacham
ASSOCIATED PRESS

9:27 p.m. June 23, 2005

Associated Press
Manu Ginobili hit a big three-pointer down the stretch on the way to 23 points.
SAN ANTONIO – Manu Ginobili had the ball in his hands on nearly every possession late in the San Antonio Spurs' biggest game of the season – and he didn't drop it once.
The freewheeling forward from Bahia Blanca, Argentina, capped an amazing five-year run at almost every level of elite basketball with an outstanding performance in the fourth quarter of Game 7 of the NBA Finals on Thursday night.

Ginobili scored 23 points in the San Antonio Spurs' 81-74 victory, ending his breakthrough playoff series with another impressive game. He scored 11 points in the fourth period, including six in the final minute, and didn't make a turnover as the Spurs held off one last charge by the Detroit Pistons.

At the final buzzer, all the Spurs seemed to be trying to hug Ginobili, who raced across the court and pointed at his family in the stands. He averaged 18.7 points per game in the series, and the few basketball fans who didn't know his scintillating game got a look at Ginobili's best.

Though Tim Duncan was voted the series MVP, there was little doubt Ginobili was the people's choice. The San Antonio crowd chanted "Manu! Manu!" when commissioner David Stern prepared to present the trophy, and there was scattered booing when Duncan's name was about to be announced.

Ginobili has done little wrong in his sport since 2001, when he won the first of two straight championships in the top Italian league. He won his first NBA title as a rookie reserve with the Spurs in 2003.

He then led Argentina to a gold medal in the Athens Olympics, forever endearing himself to his nation – and every nation whose fans disliked the American dominance of the event.

With the Spurs nursing a lead in the final minutes of the NBA season, Ginobili clearly wasn't intimidated by the stage. With the shot clock winding down with 2:57 to play, he hit a 3-pointer from the right wing and ran back upcourt with both fists clenched.

The crowd exploded when Ginobili scored on a driving layup with 35 seconds left. He then hit two free throws with 22 seconds left, earning a big hug from Tim Duncan – and two more with 7 seconds to play.

When the buzzer sounded and confetti fell, reserve Sean Marks picked up Ginobili in a reverse bear hug, and he flailed his arms and legs with childlike excitement.

The fans simply love Ginobili, who has become a particular favorite among the vast Hispanic and Latino communities of San Antonio.

Ginobili is more than a heartthrob. He's a leading icon of Stern's urgent move to globalize the league. With his good looks, flashy game and flashier jewelry, it won't be surprising if Ginobili soon is among the most recognized athletes in the world.

Ginobili put on a show in the first two games of the finals, scoring 53 points and wowing the crowd with countless daredevil drives.

But the Pistons wised up when the series moved back to the Detroit suburbs, using several defenders to limit his charges to the basket. Ginobili also bruised his leg early in Game 3, and though he claimed the injury wouldn't limit him, he wasn't the same player in the middle three games.

Ginobili was revived back at home in Game 6 with 21 points and 10 rebounds, also playing superb defense.

Spurminator
06-23-2005, 11:52 PM
I'm not sure if Bowen is my top choice for MVP (though I wouldn't have complained) but I think he earned a jersey retirement this year.

Nobody epitomizes Spurs Basketball better. I couldn't be happier for him.

Timoha
06-23-2005, 11:54 PM
I want a special trophy to be made for Bowen, lol. What a team player. He's so god at what he sepcializes at and brings it every game. Other players woul dhave been pissed if no offensive plays were run for them. But Bowen just takes pride in what he does best, which is playing team ball and of course defense. :)

ducks
06-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Horry
Game 5 14 Or 15 Three's
And Game 7 He Kepted The Spurs In It Early

Ginobili!!
06-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Yeah!!!! Ginobili deserved the MVP TROPHY!!!!!!

By the way, Hi!!! Im new from Argentina, where everyobdoy today watched this awesome game and the country that gave you Ginobili!!

You are welcome :fro

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Horry
Game 5 14 Or 15 Three's
And Game 7 He Kepted The Spurs In It Early

Kept is the past form of keep

MI21
06-24-2005, 12:10 AM
This series showed me so much about Tim, Manu and Bowen.

I knew Horry had it in him, but Manu's performance was virtuoso and when Tim took control of a tight game with his scoring and passing, any doubt I had about him was erased. He controlled the second half, and deserved MVP.

As for Bowen, how does he not win DPOY? That block on Billups' 3PA, wow.

Sense
06-24-2005, 12:15 AM

This is what I feared the most about Tonight, people arguiing about the MVP..

Without Tim Duncan we aren't a team..... I'm sorry but Tim Duncan deserved it... Manu does nothing without Duncan Tonight and they recognized that..

The Main thing is that The Spurs Won The Championship!

TIM DESERVED IT AND THATS IT.. THIS WAS A TEAM..

CubanMustGo
06-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Manu scored a total of 34 points and had 14 rebounds in three games at Detroit (TD: 56 pts/45 reb). We couldn't have won the series without his contributions in the other games, but MVPs average more than 11 ppg/5 rpg on the road. Manu will have a chance to get his down the road.

And as TIM HIMSELF said, "It's definitely an honor, but this team has so many MVPs.''

ca®lo
06-24-2005, 12:36 AM
"It's definitely an honor, but this team has so many MVPs.'' <-- this ends the discussion

emveepee
06-24-2005, 12:41 AM
Big Shot Rob

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2005, 12:44 AM
Man, they need to cut up that trophy...

Clutch MVP - Horry
Heart MVP - Manu
Defensive MVP - Bowen
Statistical MVP - TD

Jelly
06-24-2005, 12:45 AM
they shouldn't even do an MVP award. It goes against the whole concept in team and in this series everyone had great moments and awful moments. But how can you even suggest Tim didn't deserve it tonight when he was something like 24 and 11 ?????? That's almost twice as many points as the leading scoring Piston!!!!! ALL (except maybe Nazr) of our Spurs are MVPs tonight, but TIM DUNCAN BROUGHT US HOME!!!

WE LOVE YOU TIM!!!

TwoHandJam
06-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Tough call. I think either of Manu, Tim or Bowen deserved it and I would have been happy with any of them winning it. I just wish they could all share it.

AFE7FATMAN
06-24-2005, 01:05 AM
It is hard to pick a MVP for a team game.

If I go with my heart it is Manu-------------He is all heart.

If I go with my Brain it is TIM --------------Fundamentals & Smart

However Logic tells me it belongs to Big Shot Rob- We wouldn't have been here without him. Can we give this guy a raise?

caspian
06-24-2005, 01:07 AM
Maybe a Co-MVP... but Spurs go nowhere without Tim. I could handle a Co-mvp, but manu by himself would have been wrong.

Completely agree.

GattoBlaster
06-24-2005, 01:12 AM
It should have been a co-MVP year...Timmy and Manu.

duncan2k5
06-24-2005, 01:12 AM
come on guys. we are too spoiled. while detroit argues about who they should trade we argue who should have been MVP...WHO GIVES A F*CK??????? WE WON BABY!!!!!!!!!!!

SequSpur
06-24-2005, 01:15 AM
Bullshit.

Without Duncan the Spurs wouldn't even be there.

STFU already.

IcemanCometh
06-24-2005, 01:23 AM
http://www.htautographs.com/matted/pinchot.jpg

yes Manu totally deserved it.

Dre_7
06-24-2005, 01:24 AM
However Logic tells me it belongs to Big Shot Rob- We wouldn't have been here without him. Can we give this guy a raise?

And there wouldnt have been a game 5 for Horry to win if it wasnt for Timmy. It was a tough call, but the right decision was made. Tim was the MVP!!

NCaliSpurs
06-24-2005, 01:56 AM
You silly bastards.

106 Games later and they play for game 7.

Who was the central part in winning most of those 106 games?

It's not just about the finals sometimes. Duncan is this team's MVP.

ata
06-24-2005, 02:02 AM
I still feel that Bowen should have been MVP. I don't really care that much, but he would have gotten my vote.

They wouldn't have won with Duncan or Manu or Bowen. So given that all were integral, Bruce gets my vote because he brought it every night. He hit his outside shots. And he was the defensive MVP of the series. That's half of the game.

He absolutely took Billups out of the game in the second half tonight. And that's as valuable as anything anyone else did.
Agree, Bowen should be MVP!
Consistency trough all 7 games, defense on Hamilton and Billups + clutch three-pointer in 4Q fo game 7.
All have contributed, however Bowen was the only one consistent!

caspian
06-24-2005, 02:36 AM
The people's MVP: Ginobili caps dream season with big Game 7
By Greg Beacham
ASSOCIATED PRESS

9:27 p.m. June 23, 2005

Associated Press
Manu Ginobili hit a big three-pointer down the stretch on the way to 23 points.
SAN ANTONIO – Manu Ginobili had the ball in his hands on nearly every possession late in the San Antonio Spurs' biggest game of the season – and he didn't drop it once.
The freewheeling forward from Bahia Blanca, Argentina, capped an amazing five-year run at almost every level of elite basketball with an outstanding performance in the fourth quarter of Game 7 of the NBA Finals on Thursday night.

Ginobili scored 23 points in the San Antonio Spurs' 81-74 victory, ending his breakthrough playoff series with another impressive game. He scored 11 points in the fourth period, including six in the final minute, and didn't make a turnover as the Spurs held off one last charge by the Detroit Pistons.

At the final buzzer, all the Spurs seemed to be trying to hug Ginobili, who raced across the court and pointed at his family in the stands. He averaged 18.7 points per game in the series, and the few basketball fans who didn't know his scintillating game got a look at Ginobili's best.

Though Tim Duncan was voted the series MVP, there was little doubt Ginobili was the people's choice. The San Antonio crowd chanted "Manu! Manu!" when commissioner David Stern prepared to present the trophy, and there was scattered booing when Duncan's name was about to be announced.

Ginobili has done little wrong in his sport since 2001, when he won the first of two straight championships in the top Italian league. He won his first NBA title as a rookie reserve with the Spurs in 2003.

He then led Argentina to a gold medal in the Athens Olympics, forever endearing himself to his nation – and every nation whose fans disliked the American dominance of the event.

With the Spurs nursing a lead in the final minutes of the NBA season, Ginobili clearly wasn't intimidated by the stage. With the shot clock winding down with 2:57 to play, he hit a 3-pointer from the right wing and ran back upcourt with both fists clenched.

The crowd exploded when Ginobili scored on a driving layup with 35 seconds left. He then hit two free throws with 22 seconds left, earning a big hug from Tim Duncan – and two more with 7 seconds to play.

When the buzzer sounded and confetti fell, reserve Sean Marks picked up Ginobili in a reverse bear hug, and he flailed his arms and legs with childlike excitement.

The fans simply love Ginobili, who has become a particular favorite among the vast Hispanic and Latino communities of San Antonio.

Ginobili is more than a heartthrob. He's a leading icon of Stern's urgent move to globalize the league. With his good looks, flashy game and flashier jewelry, it won't be surprising if Ginobili soon is among the most recognized athletes in the world.

Ginobili put on a show in the first two games of the finals, scoring 53 points and wowing the crowd with countless daredevil drives.

But the Pistons wised up when the series moved back to the Detroit suburbs, using several defenders to limit his charges to the basket. Ginobili also bruised his leg early in Game 3, and though he claimed the injury wouldn't limit him, he wasn't the same player in the middle three games.

Ginobili was revived back at home in Game 6 with 21 points and 10 rebounds, also playing superb defense.

This is just plain un-objective. Good example of biased journalism that defines modern media...speak to your audience...get ratings.

P.S. Manu Ginobili is my favorite player.

TheTwenty
06-24-2005, 03:19 AM
Atenas 2004

Brown-Popovich-Tim against Manu -----> Gold and MVP for Manu

Nba 2004-2005

Brown against Popovich-Tim-Manu ------> Spurs Champions

I agree It should have been a co-MVP year...Timmy and Manu

SFSpursFan
06-24-2005, 03:25 AM
Had Manu not gotten hurt in Game 3, he would have been the MVP. The media was itching to make him a "legend". Even that idiot Whitlock guy from Kansas City admitted that. I think his leg bothered him a lot more than anyone let on...

Having said that, Tim asserted himself in the second half, and that opened Manu up for some nice drives to the basket. Shame on those who booed the announcement of Tim as MVP.

Manu has chances to be a Finals MVP in the future....

Rummpd
06-24-2005, 07:02 AM
CO MVPS! Remember Duncan kept them in the game by himself in one of the two opening wins and won game 7.

BigShotBob
06-24-2005, 07:05 AM
I thought Horry should have been co-MVP with Manu and Duncan. Say what you will about his overall series stats, but the only Spur to just flat-out take a game over and put the team on his back for one game was Horry in Game 5. You can say Duncan is forced to do that every game, but I've seen Duncan play better in his career. We're not going to game 7 no matter what if Horry doesn't have that miracle game.

boutons
06-24-2005, 07:07 AM
"there was scattered booing when Duncan's name was about to be announced."

Who/why TF was booing Duncan in SBC after we won?
Pistons fans?
How can anybody boo Duncan?

beck253
06-24-2005, 08:07 AM
I thought Horry should have been co-MVP with Manu and Duncan. Say what you will about his overall series stats, but the only Spur to just flat-out take a game over and put the team on his back for one game was Horry in Game 5. You can say Duncan is forced to do that every game, but I've seen Duncan play better in his career. We're not going to game 7 no matter what if Horry doesn't have that miracle game.

What Manu did in games 1 and 2, then?

Useruser666
06-24-2005, 08:32 AM
Every Spur deserves it!

ObiwanGinobili
06-24-2005, 09:00 AM
it's hard to choose ONE mvp for this series. There was no one guy stepping up each and every game.. the 1st 2 it was Manu for sure, but Tim's #'s were more than decent and he really made his mark thru GOOD DECISIONS. Barry nad Horry had thier momments also. Bowen was the only consistant player the whole series.. but we all know that to get MVP he's got to have big pts and rebounds, thast just the way it is.

So yes Timmy wins by default, but I think the MVP trophy should have gone to THE TEAM.

smeagol
06-24-2005, 09:19 AM
We won! Does it really matter who the MVP is?

Fuck no! Give it to T-Mass for all I care.

We won!

ALVAREZ6
06-24-2005, 09:19 AM
We won! Does it really matter who the MVP is?

Fuck no! Give it to T-Mass for all I care.

We won!
Exactly.

WalterBenitez
06-24-2005, 09:44 AM
"It's definitely an honor, but this team has so many MVPs.''

translation ...

"Yeah ... yeah ... Bruce, Tony and MANU deserved it ... but this time is MINE"

:lmao

easjer
06-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Timmy all the way. But more importantly - A FUCKING CHAMPIONSHIP for EVERYBODY!

wildbill2u
06-24-2005, 10:03 AM
I knew Timmy would get it when he dove for that lose ball and got the wind knocked out of him. He showed up tonight in soo many ways!!!

Timmy is the MVP!!! With a lil help from Manu and Big Shot Bob. If you have to give it to only one person, its gotta be Timmy!!

Man, I hate that avatar. Whenever Tim holds the ball like that, like a girl and looks like he wants to hide behind the ball, then you know his game isn't going good. :pctoss

Obvious
06-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Is a 10-27!! an MVP score?

waly.mg
06-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Probably Timmy is the best player of the World

But Timmy have too many troubles in this series

I think that the games changes when Timmy start to made his FT

But when everybody desappears Manu was the Man

Manu scores 4/6 FG in the second half, and 9 of the finals 12 points of the team, but he´s a SG and he don´t take the rebounds

And $tern is not yet ready to call Manu for MVP, and it´s impossible to say, TD dont have the numbers, but TD has 41,9 % from the field in the series, and Manu 49,4%, 38,7% from 3 and 85,4% FT

TD made 129 FG attempts and 54 FT
Manu 85 and 41, and only had 13 points less

In 44 FGA and 13 FTA, TD only can overscored Manu in 13 points, thats all

Supergirl
06-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Manu and Bowen were integral to winning, as was Barry's solid performance coming in as our back up PG and Horry's points off the bench.

But all of that was created by Duncan's dominance in the fourth quarter, and the double and triple teams the drew, and his subsequent excellent passing out of that defense.

He had 5 TOs in the game - but did he have ANY in the fourth quarter? Wait, I think I remember, he did have one TO forced by the Pistons D in the fourth.

No, Tim's dominance and Bruce's D on Billups in the fourth are the reasons we won. Tim deserved the MVP, but he rightly said in accepting it that "there are so many MVPs on this team" - it was a team effort. It was beautiful.

waly.mg
06-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Barry what???¡¡¡¡¡¡

(2:02) [DET 66-72] Billups Free Throw 1 of 2 (11 PTS)
(1:31) [SAN] Bowen Substitution replaced by Barry
(1:31) [SAN] Team Timeout: Regular
(1:29) [SAN] Barry Turnover: Bad Pass (2 TO) Steal: B. Wallace (2 ST)
(1:20) [DET 68-72] Billups Jump Shot: Made (13 PTS)