PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats may offer #2 pick to Thunder for Harden?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-14-2012, 12:01 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19352135/charlotte-looking-to-deal-no-2-pick

Charlotte looking to deal No. 2 pick

By Jeff Goodman | College Basketball Insider
June 14, 2012 12:45 pm ET

The Charlotte Bobcats are eyeing the possibility of dealing the No. 2 overall pick in a trade that would bring a more established player, multiple sources told CBSSports.com.

Rod Higgins and Rich Cho understand that the Bobcats need more than just a talented rookie, whether it be Bradley Beal, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Harrison Barnes, Thomas Robinson or even Andre Drummond -- to make the Bobcats competitive from their laughingstock of a season.

One source said that Oklahoma City's James Harden could be in play due to the Thunder's salary situation following next season. GM Sam Presti already has Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook on the books for more than $29 million next season -- and both Harden and Serge Ibaka will command huge contracts after the 2012-13 campaign.

Charlotte was an NBA-worst 7-59 this past season and there is no clear-cut second overall pick behind Anthony Davis, who will be taken by New Orleans with the No. 1 selection on June 28.

Beal and Barnes can both help Charlotte on the offensive end while Kidd-Gilchrist and Robinson would bring a toughness, especially on the defensive end. Drummond is a high-risk choice despite his physical tools.

None of these players is considered a franchise-changer -- and that's why the Bobcats would prefer to deal the pick and land an established player such as Harden who could come in immediately and make an impact.

pass1st
06-14-2012, 12:07 PM
The draft has shooters with potential to probably surpass Harden, but it would take time and OKCs window is wide open to win for the next few years. Bad time to trade out core

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-14-2012, 12:08 PM
All depends on if OKC feels Harden or Ibaka is more important to the core of the team.

Findog
06-14-2012, 12:57 PM
All depends on if OKC feels Harden or Ibaka is more important to the core of the team.

I think if they amnesty Perk then they can afford to keep one of them. Right now I think Harden is far and away the better player but Ibaka could turn into a helluva player himself if he can become more reliable and consistent with his mid-range jumper. Right now I think he's a nice player, a valuable role player, but a little overrated.

As good as Harden is, I think he's definitely going to get a max offer and he can be the second-best player on a title team. Is it fiscally prudent for OKC to pay a max or near max salary to their third-best player?

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-14-2012, 02:18 PM
It was fiscally imprudent for OKC to max out the chimp they have playing PG when comparable players (Rondo, Parker) signed extensions for noticeably less.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-14-2012, 02:21 PM
If the price is right after this season OKC should try to sign Harden and Ibaka long term as I agree with Findog that it's gonna be hell for OKC if they both hit free agency.

z0sa
06-14-2012, 02:22 PM
It was fiscally imprudent for OKC to max out the chimp they have playing PG when comparable players (Rondo, Parker) signed extensions for noticeably less.

:lol $80 million

urunobili
06-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Kidd-Gilchrist could play a similar role cheaper TBH

Spurs da champs
06-14-2012, 02:41 PM
why fix what isn't broken? Besides Harden has found his role; its very hard to see him carry a team night in and night anyways tbh.

Latarian Milton
06-14-2012, 08:42 PM
I think if they amnesty Perk then they can afford to keep one of them. Right now I think Harden is far and away the better player but Ibaka could turn into a helluva player himself if he can become more reliable and consistent with his mid-range jumper. Right now I think he's a nice player, a valuable role player, but a little overrated.

As good as Harden is, I think he's definitely going to get a max offer and he can be the second-best player on a title team. Is it fiscally prudent for OKC to pay a max or near max salary to their third-best player?

beard nigga ain't just the 3rd best on his team imho. westbrook might have better athleticism but 9 out of 10 times it's the beard nigga who helps his team more. if OKC have to let one of the big 3 walk, it should be Chimpbr:lol:lolk not harden

benefactor
06-14-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't think it is. It's hard to justify paying that much for three perimeter players. They have painted themselves in a corner with the contract they gave Westbrook now it looks like they might have some tough decisions to make because of it.

I think Robinson or MKG will both contribute immediately in the league and both would make an impact on that OKC roster. Durant is only going to get better and Maynor is coming back for them. All things considered, it's something they at least need to talk about.

Findog
06-14-2012, 09:48 PM
I don't think it is. It's hard to justify paying that much for three perimeter players. They have painted themselves in a corner with the contract they gave Westbrook now it looks like they might have some tough decisions to make because of it.

I think Robinson or MKG will both contribute immediately in the league and both would make an impact on that OKC roster. Durant is only going to get better and Maynor is coming back for them. All things considered, it's something they at least need to talk about.

Or like Milton says, maybe think about trading Westbrook. I think it's clear they can't afford all five of Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka and Perkins.

Nathan89
06-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Bump.

Does this choking change anything?

Russ
06-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Even Michael Jordan isn't that dumb.

Pelicans78
06-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Harden is playing as bad as Lebron did in last year's Finals.

dunkman
06-19-2012, 11:07 PM
No brainer tbh . . .

Clipper Nation
06-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Bobcats probably don't even want him anymore :lol

Budkin
06-19-2012, 11:16 PM
That's not happening anymore.

Nathan89
06-19-2012, 11:18 PM
That's not happening anymore.

Bobcats have championship aspirations?:lol

weebo
06-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Harden is not a #1 on any team. He's nothing more than a nice role player but nothing more.

TIMMYtoZO
06-19-2012, 11:23 PM
With MJ as the owner, this deal is very well on the table for OKC. :lol