PDA

View Full Version : Explain Restaurant Gratuity

Pages : [1] 2

Xevious
06-15-2012, 04:48 AM
So the rule of thumb is that you tip 15 to 20% of your check. Why is that? Should gratuity not be based on amount and quality of service? For example, if the waiter is taking care of a large party, they obviously deserve a larger tip. If you are dining at a nice restaurant, where you have more than one server, and they usually give you more attention and are generally more knowledgable, I understand a large tip.

But while on vacation, I took my family of five out to Rainforest Cafe. The prices are higher than average because you're paying for the atmosphere. So when I got my bill, I was trying to understand why I should leave my waiter an 18% tip. The service and food are no better than Chili's. We didn't drink alcohol, we saw our waiter maybe four or five times... why the hell am I paying him so much?

Monostradamus
06-15-2012, 04:53 AM
I'm sure Creepn and Trill Clinton feel the same way.

Wild Cobra
06-15-2012, 05:05 AM
So the rule of thumb is that you tip 15 to 20% of your check. Why is that? Should gratuity not be based on amount and quality of service? For example, if the waiter is taking care of a large party, they obviously deserve a larger tip. If you are dining at a nice restaurant, where you have more than one server, and they usually give you more attention and are generally more knowledgable, I understand a large tip.

But while on vacation, I took my family of five out to Rainforest Cafe. The prices are higher than average because you're paying for the atmosphere. So when I got my bill, I was trying to understand why I should leave my waiter an 18% tip. The service and food are no better than Chili's. We didn't drink alcohol, we saw our waiter maybe four or five times... why the hell am I paying him so much?
If you don't like the prices, eat at Chili's.

Pay the expected gratuity. More if you really liked the service, less if it was substandard.

Bill_Brasky
06-15-2012, 05:16 AM

:lmao

CubanSucks
06-15-2012, 05:29 AM
just go down to 15%. If they sucked, a little less than that. It's not that difficult.

my first thought before clicking on the thread

Wild Cobra Kai
06-15-2012, 07:18 AM
just go down to 15%. If they sucked, a little less than that. It's not that difficult.

A lot of place attach an autmatic tip on parties of X or more, X being 6 or 8 or whatever their arbitrary number is. It's on the menu, normally.

leemajors
06-15-2012, 08:26 AM
A lot of place attach an autmatic tip on parties of X or more, X being 6 or 8 or whatever their arbitrary number is. It's on the menu, normally.

I think it is legally required to be on the menu if they do so.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Wow, Wild Cobra had a sensible response.

If you're gonna bitch about tipping, then don't eat at sit down restaurants, take your kids to McDonalds. Waiters and Waitresses get nothing in base salary and rely on tips as pay. It's not like tips are just a bonus for them.

Lincoln
06-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Yeah here in Texas waiters make 2.13 hourly wage +tips. I never screw over servers because I know that they rely on tips. I'll usually tip 15-20% depending on service.

They get enough dumb n!ggers and teenagers that won't tip so why should we add to it?

Lincoln
06-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Although apparently to some orientals and Europeans, gratuity confused them. Do some of those countries not tip?

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-15-2012, 08:48 AM
French people from what I've heard are horrible tippers and always use the "I'm foreign!" excuse.

I. Hustle
06-15-2012, 08:48 AM

If you're gonna bitch about tipping, then don't eat at sit down restaurants, take your kids to McDonalds. Waiters and Waitresses get nothing in base salary and rely on tips as pay. It's not like tips are just a bonus for them.

Eating at a decent restaurant does not automatically give servers the right to be dicks and expect money. If my server isn't coming to my table and checking on me or I have to wait 20-30 minutes before someone even takes my drink order... then they are going to get shit on too.

Lincoln
06-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Eating at a decent restaurant does not automatically give servers the right to be dicks and expect money. If my server isn't coming to my table and checking on me or I have to wait 20-30 minutes before someone even takes my drink order... then they are going to get shit on too.

That's understandable but sometimes the restaurant is busy and understaffed, you're not their only table. They may have a big party across the room

Lincoln
06-15-2012, 08:52 AM
I've gotten some shit servers though when the building was empty...most waiters are stoners imo

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-15-2012, 08:52 AM
:cryI need the server to check on me:cry

:cryI'm important:cry

Muser
06-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Although apparently to some orientals and Europeans, gratuity confused them. Do some of those countries not tip?

We don't tip as much as Americans, but waiters get paid a higher wage here.

I. Hustle
06-15-2012, 09:27 AM
:cryI need the server to check on me:cry

:cryI'm important:cry

Are you really that stupid? If I am PAYING for your service then I expect your service.

If you think asking me what I would like to drink or what it is I would like to eat is just checking up on me then you need to hit up a spot where your drink doesn't come in a styrofoam cup.

I. Hustle
06-15-2012, 09:29 AM
That's understandable but sometimes the restaurant is busy and understaffed, you're not their only table. They may have a big party across the room

I've gotten some shit servers though when the building was empty...most waiters are stoners imo

If the place is packed then I will let that shit slide. I can recognize that. But if I see Paco in the corner talking to Rashad and staring at Autumn and not taking care of their tables then they aren't getting jack shit from me.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Bringing your food and drinks + taking your order = service

Checking up on you to make you feel important is something Mexicans (you in this case) and Blacks think is what a waiter/waitress needs to do to get a tip.

thispego
06-15-2012, 09:37 AM

THAT is what's bullshit, that's night right for restaraunt owners to do and waiters/waitresses are stupid for accepting it.

I RARELY tip the full 15% unless it's really good service then I'll tip up to 20%

but if I'm not given above and beyond service then they are getting a shitty tip. Food and drink costs so much anyways I'm taking tip money away just to pay the tab. not my fault they have bullshit business practices and underpay their staff :rolleyes

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-15-2012, 09:42 AM
I agree Pego which is why I rarely eat at sit down restaurants, it's a bullshit business practice. When I don't feel like cooking I'll get subway or something.

leemajors
06-15-2012, 09:47 AM
If you don't accept the low wage, there is always someone who will. restaurant owners never hesitate to tell servers they are expendable.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2012, 10:04 AM

:rollin

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2012, 10:08 AM
If they absolutely suck, I tip $1
If they do just enough, I give them double the tax(15%+)
If they're on it, I move the decimal over one on the total and give them double that(20%)

I. Hustle
06-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Bringing your food and drinks + taking your order = service

Checking up on you to make you feel important is something Mexicans (you in this case) and Blacks think is what a waiter/waitress needs to do to get a tip.

Again, if I have to wait for 20-30 minutes BEFORE you even come take my drink order and then around the same amount of time for my meal order then you are getting a crappy tip.

If you don't think that checking to see if I would like some more wine/beer/whatever is neccesary then you are an idiot. It has nothing to do with me feeling important and everything to do with customer service. If you can't understand this then you must be an idiot.

LOL at you thinking I'm Mexican.

The Reckoning
06-15-2012, 10:10 AM
yeah when i waited tables in 08 i received whatever the minimum wage for waiters was back then..it was like a dollar or something.

the law is if your tips dont equal minimum wage, you can dispute it with the manager during payroll. mine was smart though because he didnt allow pooling tips, so nobody could keep up with it.

i was fucking broke....like terribly. i worked 11 hour shifts and maybe made 40 dollars. i bussed my own tables as well.

I. Hustle
06-15-2012, 10:12 AM
http://www.etiquettescholar.com/dining_etiquette/tipping_etiquette.html

silverblk mystix
06-15-2012, 10:41 AM
If you have to question whether to tip or not-you should not eat out.

I tip at least 20% usually more.

I always seem to get great waiters/waitresses and they deserve a huge tip and I give it to them.

On the other hand- Mrs. Mystix is pretty much one of those genius gourmets who cooks the cleanest and healthiest exotic dishes at home so I prefer home cooking these days.

On the very rare occasion that I get a waiter who is a dik and after numerous chances he is still an a-hoe, I politely ask for a manager and request a different waiter-or better yet- I ask for a manager and advise him that we are taking our business elsewhere and report the a-hoe waiter.
(this is when it is obvious that the incident is racial/prejudicial ,etc.)

Otherwise I know they work hard for tips and I try to tip generously.

Creepn
06-15-2012, 10:57 AM
At least you muthafuckas have a choice. White guy tipping low, waiter would just think he/she needs to do better. ONE black guy tipping low = a week of bitching and racial stereotypes. Then the waiter comes to a black table already expecting a shitty tip and gives them bad service which leads the black family to leave a shitty tip. It's a vicious dirty cycle folks. We all get hurt.

I. Hustle
06-15-2012, 11:03 AM
But are you...

Still tippin on 4-4's

TeyshaBlue
06-15-2012, 11:12 AM
True Story. My brother is an accomplished asshole.
We were eating at a bar and grill in Lubbock a few years ago. Nobody in the joint but us, and one waitress who was busy chatting w/her boyfriend on the phone. We waited for 10 minutes with no service at all. Finally, my brother got up, and asked the waitress to bring out the manager. She does. He lays into the manager about the lack of service, who in turn roasts the waitress right in front of us.
In tears, she comes to our table and asks what we would like from the menu.

My brother says "Can you give us a few minutes, we haven't made up our minds."

Monostradamus
06-15-2012, 11:12 AM
At least you muthafuckas have a choice. White guy tipping low, waiter would just think he/she needs to do better. ONE black guy tipping low = a week of bitching and racial stereotypes. Then the waiter comes to a black table already expecting a shitty tip and gives them bad service which leads the black family to leave a shitty tip. It's a vicious dirty cycle folks. We all get hurt.

Consider shitty service payback for your ancestors all being poor tippers. Unless you want to pay reparations to the food service community, of course.

Creepn
06-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Consider shitty service payback for your ancestors all being poor tippers. Unless you want to pay reparations to the food service community, of course.

Yeah but who started it? Do you really think white waiters back in the day gave my black ancestors quality service? Think about it.

Wild Cobra
06-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Yep, and you just started that vicious circle.

Monostradamus
06-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Yeah but who started it? Do you really think white waiters back in the day gave my black ancestors quality service? Think about it.

The black community needs to do the right thing and pay reparations to all waiters in America! 40 percent and a mule!

We shall overcome...

Wild Cobra
06-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Does it matter who started it? Who's going to be man enough to end the cycle?

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2012, 11:42 AM
We were eating at a bar and grill in Lubbock a few years ago. Nobody in the joint but us, and one waitress who was busy chatting w/her boyfriend on the phone. We waited for 10 minutes with no service at all. Finally, my brother got up, and asked the waitress to bring out the manager. She does. He lays into the manager about the lack of service, who in turn roasts the waitress right in front of us.

http://static.artfagcity.com/wordpress_core/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/orsonclapping.gif

SpurinDallas
06-15-2012, 12:03 PM
I waited tables while I was out of work for about 6 months at the end of 2008 and some days you would be having a killer day tipwise. Everyone tipping generously and then a black family would be sat into your section and we called that a "Momentum Killer".

I once got $10 bucks off of a tab of $145 from a black family. The service was great, they even complimented my manager. Total bullshit.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-15-2012, 12:04 PM
I waited tables while I was out of work for about 6 months at the end of 2008 and some days you would be having a killer day tipwise. Everyone tipping generously and then a black family would be sat into your section and we called that a "Momentum Killer".

I once got $10 bucks off of a tab of $145 from a black family. The service was great, they even complimented my manager. Total bullshit.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-15-2012, 12:04 PM
So you admit you tip poorly?

Fpoonsie
06-15-2012, 12:05 PM

SpurinDallas
06-15-2012, 12:08 PM

You'd be proud man. I was the one who coined that phrase. About 3 of us were catching the score at the bar of some game that was on, talking about how the night was going and then a table of 5 black folks were being sat in my section just as I was talking about how great my night was going, and I told the bartender as we both watch my table being sat, "Talk about a momentum killer". After that, it became the norm of Outback Steakhouse. :lol

Wild Cobra
06-15-2012, 12:23 PM

What is it about "black culture?"

When I was between jobs, I delivered pizza. Same thing. Generally had good tips from all other races. Almost always shitty tips from black households.

Can anyone explain this?

Can anyone defend this?

resistanze
06-15-2012, 12:26 PM
:lmao Now you got WC going for real

Wild Cobra
06-15-2012, 12:26 PM
:lmao Now you got WC going for real
Just relating personal experience. It it unique? I think not.

Can you explain or defend it?

Creepn
06-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Lol "momentum killer". I have to admit that is funny. :lol

SpurinDallas
06-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Just relating personal experience. It it unique? I think not.

Can you explain or defend it?

I feel you man. I've RARELY had any black tables tip me properly, despite good service. Not to mention they are also the neediest tables as well. When I got a table full of black women, I knew they were going to do their best to make me their bitch and have me running around as if they are the only table I have to take care of. Dealing with that, their attitudes, and shitty tipping = Bullshit.

Once I got chummy with the hostesses, I told them to NEVER seat me black folks again, unless we were on a wait and they had no choice.

ploto
06-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Really the whole system is ridiculous. Restaurants should pay their people a proper wage for their jobs and charge you for the meal accordingly.

I am sick of tip jars on counters everywhere as if I am supposed to tip the cashier for letting me pay.

Creepn
06-15-2012, 12:35 PM
I feel you man. I've RARELY had any black tables tip me properly, despite good service. Not to mention they are also the neediest tables as well. When I got a table full of black women, I knew they were going to do their best to make me their bitch and have me running around as if they are the only table I have to take care of. Dealing with that, their attitudes, and shitty tipping = Bullshit.

Once I got chummy with the hostesses, I told them to NEVER seat me black folks again, unless we were on a wait and they had no choice.

Honestly I'm kind of glad you got shitty tips. You're kind of an asshole. I'm sure it radiates in person if I can feel it radiating through the internet. Same goes for WC.

Wild Cobra
06-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Honestly I'm kind of glad you got shitty tips. You're kind of an asshole. I'm sure it radiates in person if I can feel it radiating through the internet. Same goes for WC.
That's OK. I wouldn't expect anything better from you.

SpurinDallas
06-15-2012, 12:38 PM

Please, that has nothing to do with it. I'd get really friendly to the point were we're all laughing or talking sports, etc. They thank me for great service, I thank them for allowing us to serve them. They leave, I take the check presenter. Open it up. $75 tab. $5 tip. That's just the way it is. You've obviously never waited tables.

Lincoln
06-15-2012, 12:39 PM
I worked at olive garden for a summer job last year and I can testify to blacks and teenagers tipping bad. You'd be rolling one night and be making great tips at every table and then when the n!ggers walk in, everyone quickly looks around and hopes that they aren't seated in their section. I treat them the way I do everyone else and give them the same service as well but it doesn't matter to them.

One time that really pissed me off was a party of blacks coming in 6 minutes before closing. They stayed there for literally an hour and they tipped 12 on a 145. Fuck them.

Lincoln
06-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Although sometimes ghetto ass hood blacks would walk in and give me some of the best tips that night :lol. I think it was like a 30 on a 70 tab

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-15-2012, 12:41 PM
So you admit you tip poorly?
Notice how Creepn ignored this question :lol

Wild Cobra
06-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Really the whole system is ridiculous. Restaurants should pay their people a proper wage for their jobs and charge you for the meal accordingly.
We all have opinions. Tipping is a tradition, not a city in China.

I am sick of tip jars on counters everywhere as if I am supposed to tip the cashier for letting me pay.
Then go elsewhere. This is a free nation.

My God.

An extra dollar or two in a tip jar doesn't hurt. If you can't part with that kind of money, then you shouldn't be eating out. You're too poor to and have more important places to spend you money.

Creepn
06-15-2012, 12:43 PM
I already know how to solve this problem. Have a sign at every restaurant about the tipping percentage. Believe it or not, a lot of people don't know about the percentages. I didn't know about it until my early 20's. I would just leave a couple of bucks on the table before. I gave my black people about a year's worth of this racial stereotype! I'M SORRY!!:(

resistanze
06-15-2012, 12:43 PM
When I went to the USA I saw tipping jars at Subway? Are you actualy supposed to tip there?

Lincoln
06-15-2012, 12:45 PM
No, they make minimum wage or more

Wild Cobra
06-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Although sometimes ghetto ass hood blacks would walk in and give me some of the best tips that night :lol. I think it was like a 30 on a 70 tab
It's pretty rare, isn't it. The best tip I has was a $55 tip on a $45 order. Two Hispanic men argued over who was going to pay for the pizza order. At first I was a little frustrated, because I needed to get back for the next delivery. Then one of them directed his attention right at me, slapped a $100 bill in my hand, and said "I'm paying for it. Keep the rest." I walked away happy!

resistanze
Good. The fuck you need a tip for making a sammich?

Lincoln
I already know how to solve this problem. Have a sign at every restaurant about the tipping percentage. Believe it or not, a lot of people don't know about the percentages. I didn't know about it until my early 20's. I would just leave a couple of bucks on the table before. I gave my black people about a year's worth of this racial stereotype! I'M SORRY!!:(

I guess tipping percentage isn't talked about in a black household

DUNCANownsKOBE
When I went to the USA I saw tipping jars at Subway? Are you actualy supposed to tip there?
No. I'm with Ploto on that one, cashiers shouldn't be tipped.

DUNCANownsKOBE
I guess tipping percentage isn't talked about in a black household
Black people just suck at math tbh

Wild Cobra
06-15-2012, 12:47 PM
I do.

baseline bum
People who complain about black tippers have never served Persians tbh. Nothing like parking someone's Bentley and getting 25 cents for it.

resistanze
No. I'm with Ploto on that one, cashiers shouldn't be tipped.
Yeah. I initially felt bad but then I remembered I was buying a fucking 6 inch chicken teriyaki at Subway :lol

Creepn
06-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Please, that has nothing to do with it. I'd get really friendly to the point were we're all laughing or talking sports, etc. They thank me for great service, I thank them for allowing us to serve them. They leave, I take the check presenter. Open it up. $75 tab. $5 tip. That's just the way it is. You've obviously never waited tables.

It's black ignorance about the percentages and waiting. It's not that they wouldn't pay more, they simply do not know. That family you served genuinely thought they gave you a good tip. I try and spread the word though

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Good. The fuck you need a tip for making a sammich?

:lol

SpurinDallas
06-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Also used to hate when I would bring change back to a table and the man would leave cash in there for a tip, the woman would open it up, say something to her man, and take some cash out. Let the man take care of business!! LOL

ploto
06-15-2012, 12:54 PM
If you can't part with that kind of money, then you shouldn't be eating out. You're too poor to and have more important places to spend you money.

Who said I am a poor tipper? I actually am a very generous tipper. I have a couple of places that I eat out at regularly and that I have a regular waiter or waitress that I ask for by name. They are happy to see me. At one, I bring a large group every year for my kid's birthday and I always tip about 40%. When I go out to breakfast, I have tipped 100% because all I eat is some pancakes that cost a few dollars. That does not mean that I think it is a good system.

An extra dollar or two in a tip jar doesn't hurt.

When I go to my bakery and get a $2.00 cream cheese kolache, I should tip the person at the counter who grabs my kolache out of the case and hands it to me? The people who do the same thing at HEB don't have a tip jar on the counter. They are all getting paid a regular wage.

baseline bum
06-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Also used to hate when I would bring change back to a table and the man would leave cash in there for a tip, the woman would open it up, say something to her man, and take some cash out. Let the man take care of business!! LOL

Shit, what was it like it when it was a black woman?

SpurinDallas
06-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Shit, what was it like it when it was a black woman?

:lol Don't ask

Wild Cobra
LOL...

Reminds me of one regular delivery. A teenage boy always answered the door to pay for the pizza his mother ordered. He always had an extra $5.00 in his hand over the deliver price. It seemed obvious that his mother gave him $5 extra, but he didn't know the order price. He would always pay the amount and pocket the $5. Not much a person can do, is there?

FYI... It was a white boy...

mrsmaalox

I don't tip when I have to stand there at the counter and wait for my product; they need to actually bring me something. But as a rule, if they have a jar out asking for tips, or if the register receipt has a place for tips, I ignore it.

Setting out a jar only works for musicians as far as I am concerned.

SpurinDallas
06-15-2012, 12:57 PM
LOL...

Reminds me of one regular delivery. A teenage boy always answered the door to pay for the pizza his mother ordered. He always had an extra $5.00 in his had over the deliver price. It seemed obvious that his mother gave him $5 extra, but he didn't know the order price. He would always pay the amount and pocket the $5. Not much a person can do, is there?

FYI... It was a white boy...

A savvy white boy. :lol

Wild Cobra
06-15-2012, 01:01 PM
A savvy white boy. :lol
The makings of a politician!

Oh, Gee!!
06-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Yep, and you just started that vicious circle.

Does it matter who started it? Who's going to be man enough to end the cycle?

TeyshaBlue
06-15-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't tip when I have to stand there at the counter and wait for my product; they need to actually bring me something. But as a rule, if they have a jar out asking for tips, or if the register receipt has a place for tips, I ignore it.

Setting out a jar only works for musicians as far as I am concerned.

Please come to my gigs.:greedy

DisAsTerBot
06-15-2012, 01:37 PM
are you kidding me, black ignorance?!?!

you can't use the french, "im foreign" excuse.

fucking self oppresion

DisAsTerBot
06-15-2012, 01:41 PM

did you not go out to eat with your parents? ever wondered what they were filling out?

I definitely don't remember the exact situation in which I learned of tipping percentages, but I know my Dad pointed it out along the way at some point. Having good parents probably helps

CuckingFunt
06-15-2012, 01:44 PM
As a rule, I tip well for almost anything dealing with food/beverages, my hair dresser, and live music. I will admit to being a shitty tipper for other services, though. I never know who I'm supposed to tip, who I'm not, or how much. As a result, I avoid valets, sky caps, and stuff like that as much as possible. My general social awkwardness means I'd rather not do it than do it wrong.

For me, a sit down restaurant is bare minimum 15%. If you give me bare minimum service, you'll get 15%. If I get particularly bad service, I may go down a bit from there (I've done it only a couple of times), but it would have to be egregiously bad service. Good service is 20%, and that's where most things end up, and great service goes up from there.

Other food/beverage tips are a bit more dependent upon situation.

I always tip bartenders. Always. Every drink. And if someone buys me a drink, I almost always cover tips for that round. I've got friends who never tip bartenders, but who can't manage to figure out why I'm getting heavy pours and they're getting watered down cups of 89% ice. Tipping bartenders is just automatic, to me. Like tipping dealers. And I can't at all relate to the people who don't do it.

And I'll leave something in a lot of tip jars, but not all. If it's a small, local joint, I'll usually throw a buck in the jar. If it's Starbucks, when I pay in cash I'll usually toss in my coin change or a dollar, depending on amounts and what I got, but if I pay on a card I'm not putting a tip on the receipt. They get paid well, so I don't feel compelled, but they also typically handle and/or prepare my drink directly and I usually see the same baristas pretty regularly, so there's incentive to show appreciation for a good job. I don't know if I've ever seen a tip jar at Subway, thought it's been years since I've been to one, but I wouldn't leave a tip there. For the same reason I wouldn't leave a tip at a McDonald's or any other big chain. (Though, considering my Starbucks rationale, maybe I would if it was someplace I went regularly? Don't know.)

Other than that, like I said, hair dresser and live music. And I'm exceedingly generous with the latter. Not enough people realize that though New Orleans has a great music scene, most of the bands playing are doing so for tips only.

Creepn
06-15-2012, 01:48 PM
did you not go out to eat with your parents? ever wondered what they were filling out?

I definitely don't remember the exact situation in which I learned of tipping percentages, but I know my Dad pointed it out along the way at some point. Having good parents probably helps

Tipping percentages just wasn't talked about. My parents just threw a couple of bucks on the table and thats that. No waiter ever said anything nor were there signs. It has nothing to do with parenting. They were great parents and I'm thankful to have them. I believe the internet shed a lot of light on this issue though.

DisAsTerBot
06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
ignorance should never be an excuse

Creepn
06-15-2012, 01:51 PM
ignorance should never be an excuse

It is what it is. All we can do is learn and help others learn.

DisAsTerBot
06-15-2012, 01:51 PM
It is what it is. All we can do is learn and help others learn.

fair enough
:toast

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Tipping at Starbucks? :lol

baseline bum
06-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Tipping at Starbucks? :lol

1WM-EUEZTbM

Edward
06-15-2012, 02:03 PM
I know my Dad pointed it out along the way at some point.
Well that explains a lot since Creepn doesn't have a dad

resistanze
06-15-2012, 02:04 PM
http://www.technologytell.com/gadgets/files/2012/01/Samsung-150x150.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2012, 02:21 PM
It costs a latté :lmao

CuckingFunt
06-15-2012, 02:35 PM
1WM-EUEZTbM

Perhaps I feel compelled to help out my fellow Art History MA earners.

:depressed

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Tell them to get another job.

CuckingFunt
06-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Tell them to get another job.

my fellow Art History MA earners.

Keeping them happy at Starbucks keeps them from looking for the jobs I want.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2012, 02:54 PM
What a friend you are :lol

Alice
06-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Nothing worse than a cheap tipper.

paperboy
06-15-2012, 03:07 PM
they get two dollars...

PizzaDeliveryGuy
06-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Nothing worse than a cheap tipper.

Tell me about it. :bang

CubanMustGo
06-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Starbucks has better benefits for employees (ahem, baristas) than a lot of places. For what they charge for a freaking cup of coffee they can be thankful they get benefits out of that. I'll tip at neighborhood coffee bars 'til the cows come home (cow tipping?) but not at $tarbuck$.

Nothing pisses me off more than going up to a counter, ordering and picking up your food, having to schlep your own drink, and being presented with a credit card bill that has a space for "TIP" on it. Nil.

Real restaurants? Rare that we leave less than 20% because the servers get screwed by the system otherwise. But if someone doesn't stop by in 10 minutes, we're off to the next place, because if you get crappy service on something as basic as a greeting, it's unlikely that things will get better.

Gumby
06-15-2012, 03:14 PM
I greet my server with a smile and it usually helps with the service.

Monostradamus
06-15-2012, 03:14 PM
The only place i get naggerish about tips is Sonic. I never tip there and never will. It's not my fault your company is retarded and makes you rollerskate my order to me, instead of handing it out a window like a normal fast food joint.

TheSonicGuy
06-15-2012, 03:17 PM
I always tip at Sonic and I find extra tots in my meals.

Slomo
06-15-2012, 03:17 PM

Exactly! We had this debate on this forum before. Pay people a decent salary and then the tip becomes a small (emphasis on small) but real appreciation of their good service.
What I never understood was people actually defending this system as being good, but refused to implement it to other service based jobs (bank clerks, plumbers, accountants...)

French people from what I've heard are horrible tippers and always use the "I'm foreign!" excuse.

The truth is that the vast majority of tourists do not know how important the tip is to the waiters salary. More importantly many who know, refuse to believe it and think it's nothing more than a scam, since they don't understand why is the client responsible for the salary and not the employer...
I've explained the American tipping system to many friends on their first visits to the US and I always get the "are you kidding me look".

Although it is slowly becoming universally known and now it's being usurped in quite a few tourist traps in Europe.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2012, 03:18 PM
The only place i get naggerish about tips is Sonic. I never tip there and never will. It's not my fault your company is retarded and makes you rollerskate my order to me, instead of handing it out a window like a normal fast food joint.

I use the drive thru simply for that reason

SpurinDallas
06-15-2012, 03:19 PM
I greet my server with a smile and it usually helps with the service.

I agree 100%.

Nothing worse than approaching your table to introduce yourself, ask how they are doing and some jackass dad interrupts you just so he can tell you what he wants to drink.

Me: HI, my name is _____, and I'll be taking care of....
Asshole customer (cutting me off): I'll have a coke, she'll have a sweet tea with extra lemons, etc..

If you're already in a bad mood, stay your ass home. Geez.

CubanMustGo
06-15-2012, 03:21 PM
I gotta say we really enjoyed visiting Germany where tips were such a small part of the equation .... but then again $5 for a soft drink got old. The bier was cheaper and better so no wonder people there drink so much of it. :-)

mrsmaalox
06-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Last time I was in the UK and France, the gratuity was included in every dining bill, not just the large party ones.

cantthinkofanything
06-15-2012, 03:25 PM
I use the drive thru simply for that reason

I try to use the credit card readers under the awning which don't work most of the time. So when the kid skates out, I look in my wallet and make a frowny face and say, "guess I'll have to use a card".

Bartender
Not only do I get cash in my tip jar but plenty of phone numbers too.

Creepn

That's bullshit. They bring out your food in all kinds of weather while you wait comfortably in your car. Deserves at least your change from your order.

Slomo
06-15-2012, 03:26 PM
I gotta say we really enjoyed visiting Germany where tips were such a small part of the equation .... but then again $5 for a soft drink got old. The bier was cheaper and better so no wonder people there drink so much of it. :-)

And it's better for you :lol (at least that's what I am told by Bavarians).

To be completely fair - because Germany is one of the more affordable west European destinations - the $5 soft drinks are the result of the bad $/€ exchange rate. I remember how expensive even the fast food joints were during my first visit to the US. It was OK in $, but my salary was not in $ :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2012, 03:27 PM
I agree 100%.

Nothing worse than approaching your table to introduce yourself, ask how they are doing and some jackass dad interrupts you just so he can tell you what he wants to drink.

Asshole customer (cutting me off): I'll have a coke, she'll have a sweet tea with extra lemons, etc..

Wow. I'd never do that. I like keeping the spit, pubic hair, fromunda cheese and phlegm count in my food and drink to a bare minimum and never give the server any grief. If I have a complaint, they'll see it in the tip.

Edward
06-15-2012, 03:28 PM
:lol you're supposed to tip at Sonic? That's not something that's ever even crossed my mind.

Slomo
06-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Last time I was in the UK and France, the gratuity was included in every dining bill, not just the large party ones.

Yes it's part of the bill and it is also clearly marked on the menu - and you are not paying the waiter but the restaurant.

Monostradamus
06-15-2012, 03:31 PM
That's bullshit. They bring out your food in all kinds of weather while you wait comfortably in your car. Deserves at least your change from your order.

Like you're one to talk. "it's not cuz most black peole are cheap and rude, it's cuz we aren't taught the percentage :cry"

Lincoln
06-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Tbh Sonic waiters are fucked...no one wants to tip at a fast food place. They make a waiters wage too so they have to rely on tips(which I imagine are terrible at sonic)

silverblk mystix
06-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Travel/hotels,etc

I usually go to the bank and get a few hundred in small bills and use these for tipping housekeepers, bartenders, bell staff,etc...

I tip generously and usually make friends with staff who give me tips on places to visit, cool shopping places, bookstores,etc...

If I couldn't afford this- I would stay at a motor lodge-type place.

mFFL03
06-15-2012, 03:37 PM
10-20% depending on service.

If you are going to skimp someone, skimp on the bartender. At a good bar in dallas they earn at least 60K...before taxes...if they even report anything.

Creepn
06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Like you're one to talk. "it's not cuz most black peole are cheap and rude, it's cuz we aren't taught the percentage :cry"

Nothing to do with percentages at all. If you see that kid bring out your food in cold ass weather and let him count your change while you're warm and toasty in your car just shows that you are a heartless bastard. That goes for everybody. That's a test I'd give people to see how they really are.

mrsmaalox
06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Yes it's part of the bill and it is also clearly marked on the menu - and you are not paying the waiter but the restaurant.

Paying the restaurant twice?

Edward
06-15-2012, 03:42 PM
I seriously don't know anyone who tips the Sonic people. At least at the one near my house, all the Sonic employees are morbidly obese and would slip and fall on rollerskates :lmao

FkLA
06-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Has there ever been an explanation from blacks for why the majority of them dont tip ?

Edward
06-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Tbh Sonic waiters are fucked...no one wants to tip at a fast food place. They make a waiters wage too so they have to rely on tips(which I imagine are terrible at sonic)
Pretty sure they make at least minimum wage...

Lincoln
Bartenders make bank, even at a small little bar at chillis, my friend makes like 1k a week just serving drinks and collecting tips

Edward
Has there ever been an explanation from blacks for why the majority of them dont tip ?
Creepn is trying to plead ignorance on det one.

baseline bum
06-15-2012, 03:44 PM

They make fucking waiter's wages? Shit. That's ridiculous to tip at Sonic. Their food is shitty, it's not cheap in comparison to other fast food of similar quality (Jack in the Crack, Whataburger, Carl's Jr, Burger King), and you're supposed to pay an extra dollar tip on top of that? :lol

I quit going to Sonic years ago because I wasn't going to stiff their workers and I won't tip on fast food.

Edward
06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
No lie these two guys I know dropped out of college because of how much they made bartending so they went to do it full time (even though you can easily bartend and take 12 units) and they pocket like 75k a year each doing weddings and events.

Lincoln
06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Pretty sure they make at least minimum wage...

Lol the black guy I had last time said they make a waiters wage which I thought wasnt true but I took his word.

The ones here in my city are always packed though so I wonder if they make good tips

Edward
06-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Waiters' wage is seriously like 4 bucks an hour without tips.

Alice
06-15-2012, 03:51 PM
What is odd is that I've been stiffed on tips much more by whites than blacks.

Edward
06-15-2012, 03:53 PM
What is odd is that I've been stiffed on tips much more by whites than blacks.
Cool story mouse/JoeChalupa/BigSnax

Sisk
06-15-2012, 03:55 PM
THAT is what's bullshit, that's night right for restaraunt owners to do and waiters/waitresses are stupid for accepting it.

I RARELY tip the full 15% unless it's really good service then I'll tip up to 20%

Why do you give a shit anyways? You're paying with your baby mama's money.

Slomo
Paying the restaurant twice?

No it's part of the price structure and should be clearly marked on the menu (by law). Historically it is not a tip but more of a couvert (cover?) charge. In theory it is for an above standard service/setting and to show that the food is not more expensive just the service.

In reality this is often not the case anymore (especially in France) and it's the way that the restaurant chooses to structure it's prices to show you the price of the food and the price of the service (kinda like sales taxes in the US - you never pay the price on the tag but x% more and everybody knows it - again kinda). The only real tip is whatever change you decide to leave on the table for the waiter, but it is something extra, a bonus - not a necessary part of her/his salary.

Lincoln
I wonder if wage is any different at sonic than a classic restaurant? When I was at Olive Garden last summer, we made $2.13 hourly but the tips more than made up for it. Being a server sucks though imo and I left.

FkLA
06-15-2012, 03:58 PM
No hate but being a male waitress is pretty embarrassing imo.

Lincoln
06-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Not when girls leave their number tbh

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2012, 04:10 PM

Gotta love that Mexican machismo :lol
Geez

CuckingFunt
06-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Bartenders don't always make bank. The few I've dated/known were doing alright, a bit better than alright when you factor in tips, but none were making $60-75k.

Even if they were, though, I still think bartenders are deserving of tips and appreciation. They supply alcohol when it is needed AND they have to put up with tons of drunk assholes. Saints among men, they are.

Edward
06-15-2012, 04:11 PM
I wonder if wage is any different at sonic than a classic restaurant? When I was at Olive Garden last summer, we made $2.13 hourly but the tips more than made up for it. Being a server sucks though imo and I left.
There's no way people at Sonic make enough in tips for the restaurant to only pay them $2.13 an hour.

Edward
06-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Bartenders don't always make bank. The few I've dated/known were doing alright, a bit better than alright when you factor in tips, but none were making $60-75k.

Even if they were, though, I still think bartenders are deserving of tips and appreciation. They supply alcohol when it is needed AND they have to put up with tons of drunk assholes. Saints among men, they are.
I'm not hating, it's a tough job, especially the ones who work at bars/clubs that are jam packed every night.

CuckingFunt
06-15-2012, 04:12 PM

Not as embarrassing as being a female waiter.

SpurinDallas
06-15-2012, 04:16 PM

You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes

DPG21920
06-15-2012, 04:44 PM
:lol I just don't get the "it's a bad system" idea. It's all semantics. If you are willing to spend money going out to eat, whether they up the price of the food and make tipping "optional" because they pay the wait staff better or they do it this way, in the end you are coming out the same for the most part.

ididnotnothat
06-15-2012, 04:45 PM

Not when you are a waiter and not a waitress. I waited tables during my college years and met and dated quite a few women and the tips were great.

Lincoln
06-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Exactly^

Slomo
06-15-2012, 05:33 PM
:lol I just don't get the "it's a bad system" idea. It's all semantics. If you are willing to spend money going out to eat, whether they up the price of the food and make tipping "optional" because they pay the wait staff better or they do it this way, in the end you are coming out the same for the most part.

It's a bad system because it singles out how a specific group of people is getting paid. I'll make it easier for you, if it is a good system, why aren't employees from other service based industries asking/fighting/begging for the introduction of tip based salaries in their respective jobs?

But yeah, since I only eat in restaurants, why the fuck should I care.

DPG21920
06-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Because other service jobs don't feel it's a sustainable model for the level of talent they need to run a successful business?

So you are saying you are standing up against a "bad business" practice even though the alternative (paying them higher salaries, raising the price of food to compensate) results in the same out come in what you the consumer pays?

Evidently the model is fine because plenty of people still go out to eat and spend their money. Just because it doesn't apply to many models, doesn't mean it's a terrible one and in the scheme of things I don't see the big deal in an industry such as the restaurant industry.

There are several models that don't apply across the board, but that does not make them bad or worth arguing about. Take the pedi-cabs in Austin,TX (bicycle cabs) that operate on the "pay what you feel it's worth" model. It's not something you can use in every industry (people have tried tweaking this type of model in other business forms and it has not found success), but for this particular industry it seems to work.

MannyIsGod
06-15-2012, 05:39 PM
OP is Manu obviously.

DPG21920
06-15-2012, 05:41 PM

leemajors
06-15-2012, 05:45 PM
and you generally have to tip out runners and the kitchen from your tips.

MannyIsGod
06-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Really, I don't mind tipping at all. I just figure its part of the price at the restreraunt, but the fact that I'm paying you directly for service makes me really pissed off when I don't get good service. See my old pizza delivery threads. :lol

I HATE tip jars for shit like clerks at a gas station or shit like that. I also never tip at Sonic. I feel tipping at Sonic is a total crock.

I usually tip dealers when I play live poker but I only toke a dollar. That whole shit pisses me off too but I would rather not piss off a dealer who could "accidently" muck my cards etc etc. I feel thats more like a blackmail situation though. :lol

DPG21920
06-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Has anyone eaten at Mellow Mushroom?

Fpoonsie
06-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Yes.

Their Philosopher's Pie is phenomenal (heh alliteration). I signed up for their beer club, too.

DPG21920
06-15-2012, 06:30 PM
So did you Mushroom tip?

- Lefty

Fpoonsie
06-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Goddammit.

leemajors
06-15-2012, 06:40 PM
I HATE tip jars for shit like clerks at a gas station or shit like that. I also never tip at Sonic. I feel tipping at Sonic is a total crock.

if they can make me laugh with the tip jar and i have cash i will tip.

ElBorracho
06-15-2012, 07:26 PM
I always, always tip the the piano man.

ploto
06-15-2012, 07:38 PM
I agree 100%.

Or maybe the person just wants to drink and eat and not visit with the waiter? Maybe the person does not want to waste anyone's time when he knows what he wants already.

Or maybe he had to wait a long time for the table and just wants something to drink.

I mean your task is to find out what they want to drink and eat and bring it to them.

I admit to getting annoyed by waiters who are trying to be my friend and chit chat with me. I even had a waiter once sit next to me in my booth. No thank you. Please, take my order in a timely manner and bring out my food hot, and you will get a nice tip. I have even told waiters before, "This will be your easiest table and tip of the night. This is what I want to drink; this is what I want to eat."

tlongII
06-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Are you supposed to tip cabbies? If so, how much? I've never been sure...

Agloco
06-15-2012, 08:28 PM
I've left 500 dollar tips, I've also left zero. I don't tip based on the bill unless obligated to do so when I am with a large party. I base my tips solely on service. Usually I leave 20- 50 bucks.

Kind of related: How does one handle tips at a drive through or when walking in to pick up an order? I've always found this to be an akward situation as i put a line through the tip and write down the same total.

Creepn
06-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Or maybe the person just wants to drink and eat and not visit with the waiter? Maybe the person does not want to waste anyone's time when he knows what he wants already.

Or maybe he had to wait a long time for the table and just wants something to drink.

I mean your task is to find out what they want to drink and eat and bring it to them.

I admit to getting annoyed by waiters who are trying to be my friend and chit chat with me. I even had a waiter once sit next to me in my booth. No thank you. Please, take my order in a timely manner and bring out my food hot, and you will get a nice tip. I have even told waiters before, "This will be your easiest table and tip of the night. This is what I want to drink; this is what I want to eat."

Well from what I umderstand, you are a hottie. Comes with the territory.

Wild Cobra
06-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Believe it or not, a lot of people don't know about the percentages.
The education system is worse than I thought.

Xevious
06-15-2012, 10:58 PM
I've left 500 dollar tips, I've also left zero. I don't tip based on the bill unless obligated to do so when I am with a large party. I base my tips solely on service. Usually I leave 20- 50 bucks.

This was the point I was originally trying to make. Tips should be based on quality of service, not my bill total. In the case of Rainforest Cafe, the food is expensive because it's a tourist trap. The server has nothing to do with the fake rainforest. And then on the other hand, just because my bill is small at some restaurants, why does that server deserve less for doing the exact same thing?

In any case... I tip well, I always have. I just don't understand the system.

DPG21920
06-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Goddammit.

DMC
06-15-2012, 11:11 PM

but if I'm not given above and beyond service then they are getting a shitty tip. Food and drink costs so much anyways I'm taking tip money away just to pay the tab. not my fault they have bullshit business practices and underpay their staff :rolleyes

Why tip a cashier at Taco Bell?

DMC
06-15-2012, 11:14 PM

Kind of related: How does one handle tips at a drive through or when walking in to pick up an order? I've always found this to be an akward situation as i put a line through the tip and write down the same total.
You don't tip fast food. They make wages.

I don't tip my plumber, electrician, tile guy, but I do tip my lawncare guy.

Don't feel awkward about not giving them money for free. They don't feel awkward about not giving you food for free.

Kori Ellis
06-15-2012, 11:15 PM

Was it at Macaroni Grill? I can't believe they think that that behavior is good business. I think it makes everyone so uncomfortable.

DPG21920
06-15-2012, 11:17 PM
It was at Shennanigans IIRC

tlongII
06-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Are you supposed to tip cabbies? If so, how much? I've never been sure...

You people gonna answer this or not? :madrun

Kori Ellis
06-15-2012, 11:23 PM
You people gonna answer this or not? :madrun

Yes. $5 for short trips, extra if they load your suitcases in the trunk for you or something.

mrsmaalox
06-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Was it at Macaroni Grill? I can't believe they think that that behavior is good business. I think it makes everyone so uncomfortable.

I hate it when they crouch next to the table too.

baseline bum
06-15-2012, 11:33 PM

Wow, I have never had that happen at a Macaroni Grill. The worst part is you couldn't tell someone who handles your food to fuck off.

Monostradamus
06-15-2012, 11:38 PM

Oh Jesus Christ, so letting the waiter give a 10 second introduction to be friendly is too much? You have to be a Grade-A cu.nt to think it's too much for a waiter to simply introduce themselves.

MannyIsGod
06-15-2012, 11:39 PM
So Santa Fe has a restaurant week in late February or early March and its nice because during that time really expensive places drop their menu prices a huge amount in an effort to get people out. Its a week when Jess and I go to places we wouldn't otherwise think about going to because the bill would be way to high.

Well, one of the awesome parts of that is you realize how different the service is from a places like Chilis to a cities top places. The decision to tip well at those places is always easy because the service is so damn good.

But yeah, :lol we're not rich so that's just a one week out of the year for us.

SpurinDallas
06-15-2012, 11:41 PM

With that attitude, someone should just order a pizza and make it a movie night.

Creepn
06-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Oh Jesus Christ, so letting the waiter give a 10 second introduction to be friendly is too much? You have to be a Grade-A cu.nt to think it's too much for a waiter to simply introduce themselves.

Hey don't talk to her like that.

tlongII
06-16-2012, 01:23 AM
Yes. $5 for short trips, extra if they load your suitcases in the trunk for you or something.

Really? Man, they must hate me! :lol

silverblk mystix
06-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Anyone ever get those waiters that hit on your date? Your girl/wife or guy/husband?

That happened to me a few times and it was as if I didn't exist-but my girl got really great service and undivided attention.

Unfortunately for him, at the end of the meal my girl told me- don't tip that asshole he thinks he's some kind of player!

Another time - the girl I was dating actually gave him some play throughout the evening- I cut her loose shortly after- and actually gave the guy a sizable tip to thank him for exposing the nature of this girl who I thought had potential.

leemajors
06-16-2012, 10:07 AM
lol cucked during a meal

ploto
06-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Another time - the girl I was dating actually gave him some play throughout the evening- I cut her loose shortly after- and actually gave the guy a sizable tip to thank him for exposing the nature of this girl who I thought had potential.

:wow :lol

Lincoln
06-16-2012, 10:23 AM
lol cucked during a meal

Lincoln
06-16-2012, 10:25 AM

Damn you must be a fatass bitch if you can't wait an extra 20 seconds in your life for someone to respectfully greet you. That lost 20 seconds really hurts you, doesn't it?

What a bitch.

ploto
06-16-2012, 10:25 AM
With that attitude, someone should just order a pizza and make it a movie night.

Or maybe I don't want to hear you try to force an appetizer on me because there is some contest for the waiter who gets the most appetizer orders.

ploto
06-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Damn you must be a fatass bitch if you can't wait an extra 20 seconds in your life for someone to respectfully greet you. That lost 20 seconds really hurts you, doesn't it?

A respectful greeting takes a few seconds. Hi, I am whoever and I will be serving you tonight. Would you like something to drink?

You do not need to ask me why I am there or what's going on and what about the Spurs...

If I am at a top-end restaurant for dinner, and I know the meal will last a long time, that is one thing. If I am at the Quarry shopping and I am running into Chili's for a quick lunch, then that is another thing altogether. I finished shopping; I need to get my kid from school at a certain time; I am not there to visit with the waiter.

Lincoln
06-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Maybe someone does what an appetizer or desert? How the fuck is a waiter supposed to know if they don't ask? Most people do get appetizers and the waiters give good suggestions so stop being a selfish fatass bitch.

And it's not some contest, a more expensive bill=higher tip. :rolleyes what the fuck is wrong with you?

ploto
06-16-2012, 10:33 AM
And it's not some contest, a more expensive bill=higher tip. :rolleyes what the fuck is wrong with you?

Restaurants have contests for waiters all the time. Do you not know this?

Lincoln
06-16-2012, 10:34 AM
A respectful greeting takes a few seconds. Hi, I am whoever and I will be serving you tonight. Would you like something to drink?

You do not need to ask me why I am there or what's going on and what about the Spurs...

Are you this stupid? Most waiters get a higher tip if they get along with a customer and have some small talk. Not everyone is a grumpy bitch like yourself.

:madrun the extra 30 seconds lost is going to kill me! I want my food NOW! :madrun

ploto
06-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Well, one of the awesome parts of that is you realize how different the service is from a places like Chilis to a cities top places. The decision to tip well at those places is always easy because the service is so damn good.

Did they brush the crumbs from the bread off your table with the tiny broom? I love that for some reason!

Lincoln
06-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Restaurants have contests for waiters all the time. Do you not know this?

I've worked at Olive Garden and picked up a couple shifts at cheesecake factory/purple cow diner and there was never a contest or agenda. They ask you that because of the chance that you do want an appetizer which equals a higher tip for them.

ploto
06-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Are you this stupid? Most waiters get a higher tip if they get along with a customer and have some small talk. Not everyone is a grumpy bitch like yourself.

I believe there is an appropriate level of intimacy in certain situations and some waiters cross that line.

silverblk mystix
06-16-2012, 11:02 AM

:madrun the extra 30 seconds lost is going to kill me! I want my food NOW! :madrun

Stop being an asshole and address people with a little respect. Is that impossible for you?

Lincoln
06-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Do you address the inmates with respect tbh

silverblk mystix
06-16-2012, 11:09 AM

Absolutely. I address them as SIR and ASK them to do something that I need done.

Most of them will return the respect and do what needs to be done.

Any other questions?

mrsmaalox
06-16-2012, 11:10 AM
There's a huge difference in a waiter making himself comfy in the booth next to you and what SpurinDallas described, a friendly introduction. There's really no reason to cut someone off during their introduction, no matter how tired, hurried, hungry, thirsty, or important you are. It may be a contest or not, the employee is just doing what management requires of them and shitting on them for it is just plain rude. If it is such an inconvenience, register a complaint to the management or just don't go there. These are the kind of customers that make it difficult for restaurants to keep competent employees and then leads to threads like "Why does service suck so bad?" :lol

silverblk mystix
06-16-2012, 11:11 AM
There's a huge difference in a waiter making himself comfy in the booth next to you and what SpurinDallas described, a friendly introduction. There's really no reason to cut someone off during their introduction, no matter how tired, hurried, hungry, thirsty, or important you are. It may be a contest or not, the employee is just doing what management requires of them and shitting on them for it is just plain rude. If it is such an inconvenience, register a complaint to the management or just don't go there. These are the kind of customers that make it difficult for restaurants to keep competent employees and then leads to threads like "Why does service suck so bad?" :lol

Good point.
It is a two way street.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Some play? What kinda play happens with you by her?

So Santa Fe has a restaurant week in late February or early March and its nice because during that time really expensive places drop their menu prices a huge amount in an effort to get people out.Man, that sounds like great thing for restaurants to do. I wish that'd happen everywhere.

MannyIsGod
06-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Anyone ever get those waiters that hit on your date? Your girl/wife or guy/husband?

That happened to me a few times and it was as if I didn't exist-but my girl got really great service and undivided attention.

Unfortunately for him, at the end of the meal my girl told me- don't tip that asshole he thinks he's some kind of player!

lol cucked during a meal

:lmao !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MannyIsGod
06-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Man, that sounds like great thing for restaurants to do. I wish that'd happen everywhere.

I think most cities are starting to do it, actually. (I'm assuming you're not being sarcastic :lol )

mrsmaalox
06-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Man, that sounds like great thing for restaurants to do. I wish that'd happen everywhere.

You know the first few years I lived in SA (moved here in 2003) some association of restaurants here on the north side would do a prix fixe promotion that lasted about a month. Lots of the higher end restaurants would participate and you'd get a chance to try out something you normally wouldn't. It was really great. But I haven't heard about it recently, maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

Creepn
06-16-2012, 01:15 PM
+1 on mannys post holy shit.:rollin

Some people are a little too honest.

MannyIsGod
06-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Dallas:

http://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?pid=121&m=20

35 bucks per person. The Santa Fe one is about that much but it varies by each place.

http://culinariasa.com/wine-festival/main/restaurants.php

Looks like its in Aug in San Antonio.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-16-2012, 01:26 PM
I think most cities are starting to do it, actually. (I'm assuming you're not being sarcastic :lol )

I wasn't. I'm gonna have to go to the google

Up in here in the metroplex, there's a taste of Addison, taste of Dallas that has restaurants of the city serve their stuff in sample sizes and are real good. Addison was the better one because its a smaller town and theres a bunch of great restaurants in Addison.

mrsmaalox
06-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Some play? What kinda play happens with you by her?

LOL!! Remember that "Bellisima!!" skit on SNL with Kirstie Alley?? The waiters were licking her face and banging the other female customers on the tables! :lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
06-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Nah. I don't watch too much SNL.

silverblk mystix
06-16-2012, 02:32 PM
lol cucked during a meal

lol indeed...

I was single for most of the 17 years I lived in L.A. and I dated some winners- I could tell you stories about L.A. women.

One difference when it comes to flirty waiters and waitresses.

Male waiters flirting with your female date- it is just that- flirtation.

Female waitress flirting with YOU in front of your date-- it is ONLY for the tip.
A lot of guys think the waitress is actually attracted to them- but they are working you for a tip. Never fell for that game.

leemajors
06-16-2012, 03:35 PM

Yup, that is usually the first question on the survey at the Alamo - Were you greeted properly?

Viva Las Espuelas
06-16-2012, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't think a server's employment hinges on if they didn't greet the person "properly". There are such things as difficult/crabby/asshole customers. Yes, there are crappy/bad servers but I think a bad greeting would be the least of their worry's or crappy/bad performance.

leemajors
06-16-2012, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't think a server's employment hinges on if they didn't greet the person "properly". There are such things as difficult/crabby/asshole customers. Yes, there are crappy/bad servers but I think a bad greeting would be the least of their worry's or crappy/bad performance.

fairly standard chain or call center micromanagement menatality, that and sales.

tlongII
06-16-2012, 11:10 PM
I still ain't tippin no cabbie.

I. Hustle
06-17-2012, 03:36 PM
For the brief time I was waiting tables in LA I used to pull bitches right in front of their dates. Its easy to see who the suckers were. I even had a dude leave me a big tip when I took his chick. I gave her more than the tip that night.

DMC
06-17-2012, 06:34 PM
For the brief time I was waiting tables in LA I used to pull bitches right in front of their dates. Its easy to see who the suckers were. I even had a dude leave me a big tip when I took his dick. He gave me more than the tip that night.

silverblk mystix
06-17-2012, 06:42 PM

I. Hustle
06-17-2012, 07:06 PM

Well played sir

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Some play? What kinda play happens with you right by her?

Spurtacus
06-18-2012, 01:38 AM
Didn't see this mentioned but I tip based on the service AND the food. If I feel like I got great food for the price I will tip around 20-25%. If the food and service was poor quality then 10%. 15% for food and service that met my expectations but didn't blow me away with awesomeness.

I'm cheap and prefer buffets anyways. Golden Corral :tu

I. Hustle
06-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Some play? What kinda play happens with you right by her?

She was blowing the waiter while Mystix jerked it.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2012, 08:58 AM
I guess its embarassing for him to tell us.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2012, 09:00 AM
fairly standard chain or call center micromanagement menatality, that and sales.

Wasn't addressing that aspect of these surveys. "Hinges"

silverblk mystix
06-18-2012, 09:01 AM
I guess its embarassing for him to tell us.

Not at all, this was some bimbo I dated once and never called her again.

The fact that you are in here trying to be disrespectful is the reason why I don't feel the need to play your game.

I. Hustle
06-18-2012, 09:11 AM

RESPECT ME!!!!

Edward
06-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Golden Corral
Gross.

silverblk mystix
06-18-2012, 09:15 AM
"play my troll game- I need attention!"

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Not at all, this was some bimbo I dated once and never called her again.

The fact that you are in here trying to be disrespectful is the reason why I don't feel the need to play your game.

:lol disrespectful??? Geez, I'm just asking a damn question.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2012, 09:17 AM

RESPECT ME!!!!

smh.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2012, 09:18 AM
He has visions of doing everyone's mom in here yet he wants respect :lmao
GTFO

silverblk mystix
06-18-2012, 09:23 AM
:lol disrespectful??? Geez, I'm just asking a damn question.

Like I told you before;

You used to be ok and we discussed guitars/music and suddenly you are one of the assholes in here trying to gather the sheeple and play games.

Don't know what happened to you.

I. Hustle
06-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Who are you talking about? I don't want to do anyone's mom. I also don't beg for respect. It was a shot at Mrs.Tix "disrespectful" comment.

You've been here a while and act like this is new. Miami Heat, Kori What, ThisPreggo, Igotnokok, Tyson Chandler, Silverblk, etc. they are all the same. You say things here and there, they get riled up and it helps kill the time.

I. Hustle
06-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Like I told you before;

You used to be ok and we discussed guitars/music and suddenly you are one of the assholes in here trying to gather the sheeple and play games.

Life....

life happened to him.

Blake
06-18-2012, 09:32 AM

Absolutely. I address them as SIR and ASK them to do something that I need done.

would you please spread your cheeks open a little further, sir

I. Hustle
06-18-2012, 09:33 AM
would you please spread my cheeks open a little further, sir

fify

silverblk mystix
06-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Who are you talking about? I don't want to do anyone's mom. I also don't beg for respect. It was a shot at Mrs.Tix "disrespectful" comment.

You've been here a while and act like this is new. Miami Heat, Kori What, ThisPreggo, Igotnokok, Tyson Chandler, Silverblk, etc. they are all the same. You say things here and there, they get riled up and it helps kill the time.

smh

Amazing how a simple mind looks at a precious thing like- time.

silverblk mystix
06-18-2012, 09:34 AM
would you please spread your cheeks open a little further, sir

Blake firing another first shot. I already told you about poking the bear.

I. Hustle
06-18-2012, 09:39 AM
smh

Amazing how a simple mind looks at a precious thing like- time.

Says the moron going back and forth with me and others on here.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2012, 09:40 AM

Not you

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Like I told you before;

Nothing happened to me. Just asking a simple question. Just needed a simple answer.

Blake
06-18-2012, 09:42 AM

I'm not into bears, tbh.

I. Hustle
06-18-2012, 09:42 AM

Is that what they call you? The bear? I bet you get poked a lot.

I. Hustle
06-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Not you

HE talks about doing people's moms? For real? I thought this guy was all about respect, common courtesy and talking about guitars.

Interesting

Blake
06-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Gross.

The commercial for the fudge fountain does them no favors, imo

silverblk mystix
06-18-2012, 09:46 AM
HE talks about doing people's moms? For real? I thought this guy was all about respect, common courtesy and talking about guitars.

Interesting

Show me where I talked about doing anyone's mom.

Didn't happen.

silverblk mystix
06-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Nothing happened to me. Just asking a simple question. Just needed a simple answer.

You went from having intelligent discussions about music to trying to gather troll support?

Really, nothing happened?

Ok.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Troll support???? Geez.

I. Hustle
06-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Show me where I talked about doing anyone's mom.

Didn't happen.

It was a QUESTION directed to Espuelas. I never said "Yeah, Mrs.Tix keeps talking about doing people's moms".

I am also not trying o come to the aid of or assist Viva. I know you are used to two taking on two guys at a time but I can assure you that this is not one of those situations.

SpurinDallas
06-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Prom season also sucked. Teens can't tip for shit either, and what was worse was when you had the table of 3 couples during Prom and all the girls either wanted to split something with the other girls or order off the kids menu! MEH

ploto
06-18-2012, 09:59 PM
There's really no reason to cut someone off during their introduction, no matter how tired, hurried, hungry, thirsty, or important you are.

Anyone who serves the public knows that some people with whom they deal will be tired, grouchy, and rude. Considering them to be assholes does not seem to serve a purpose when you are counting on that asshole to tip you. If they interupt you to order their drinks, then just take their drink order. Dealing with difficult people is part of everyone's job.

ploto
06-18-2012, 10:01 PM
... all the girls either wanted to split something with the other girls or order off the kids menu! MEH

If the portions were the right size, people who not have to split. I do it all the time. Sometimes, one meal is more than both my kid and I can eat combined.

DPG21920
06-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Great attitude, Ploto.

DPG21920
06-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Do waiters really get pissed at people splitting? I mean, I know it lessens the bill, but would that really bother people?

Edward
06-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Prom season also sucked. Teens can't tip for shit either, and what was worse was when you had the table of 3 couples during Prom and all the girls either wanted to split something with the other girls or order off the kids menu! MEH
My grandma on both my mom's side and dad's side (old Jewish women) love ordering off the kid's menu and ask the waiter/waitress if they can every time they go out. They're also stereotypical restaurant Jews in the sense they complain about everything and always have special requests. Waiters and waitresses must hate them :lol

leemajors
06-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Do waiters really get pissed at people splitting? I mean, I know it lessens the bill, but would that really bother people?

it depends on the software they are using - with aloha splitting checks is fairly easy.

Monostradamus
06-19-2012, 08:20 AM
The commercial for the fudge fountain does them no favors, imo

That thing must be a disease nest.