PDA

View Full Version : SPURS 1998-2012:quick analyse of a dynasty.

ginobili fan
06-16-2012, 07:14 AM
The Twin Towers Duncan and Robinson era:

1999: Champions.
2000: 53-29 record(Lakers*)
2001: 58-24 record(Lakers*)
2002: 58-24 record(Lakers*)
2003: Champions.

The Big Three era:

2004: 57-25 record(Fisher*). Robinson retires, Jax and Speedy leaves, we get Rasho, Turkoglu and Horry.
We should have been champions. and by far the most disappointing year.

2005: Champions.

Duncan-Ginobili-Horry-Bowen-Parker the best core we ever had.
2006: 63-19 record. We get Finley.
(Manu*)
We should have been champions.

2007: Champions. The Big Three at his prime.

2008-2012: The Stern Era.

2008: 56-26 record. (Stern doing his job*)
Boston-Lakers (********)
In a normal world we are champions that year.

Injuries and struggling years: the worst years of this decade:
2009: 54-28 record.
2010: 50-32 record.. We get Jefferson...get sweeped by the suns... overall an awful year...:depressed

Recovering times:
2011: we are 2-seed with 61-21 record, high expectations but still managed to loose the Grizzlies series...For me it's just a misstep that happens to everyone sometimes, I wonder how things should have gone vs the Mavs in western conf finals...
2012: 50-16 record. we are still climbing...A great year overall, championship caliber team, one of the best team the Spurs had the last decade.
2013: Recovering success ?...I dream of this end of the road with glory...The perfect way to close this chapter.

your thoughs ?
:flag:

Lincoln
06-16-2012, 08:48 AM
You're fuckin retarded and delusional. If not for bullshit flukes, Spurs should've 3peated!

Leetonidas
06-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Wow what a great analysis, groundbreaking stuff here

100%duncan
06-16-2012, 08:59 AM
^ Co sign

ginobili fan
06-16-2012, 09:34 AM
You're fuckin retarded and delusional. If not for bullshit flukes, Spurs should've 3peated!

No, they should have 6peated !!!

dunkman
06-16-2012, 09:52 AM
In 2003 Parker was already good, somewhat inconsistent with his jumper though. And we had Bowen since the 01-02 season. Bowen made an all-defensive team before joining the Spurs.

In 2004 the Pistons and the Lakers were clearly better. I didn't look like the Spurs were favorites. Tbh I was surprised when the Spurs won the first two games vs the Lakers. Even without the 0.4, the Spurs were not lock to pass the Lakers, 'Wolfs or Pistons.

In 2006, the Spurs were the favorites from the start of the season. Manu sent us fishing with a dumb +1 foul that tied game 7. The Spurs already won that game.

In 2008, the Celtics were the favorites. They had the more consistent big 3, better defense, much better bigman rotation with better rebounders, even with the Spurs emerging from the west (and the Lakers were better after the Gasol trade), the Spurs had no chance vs the C's.

On paper, after adding RJ and Dice the Spurs should have won the championship, but RJ was a non factor.

This season the Spurs surprised, they were a contender for the first time since 2007. But they were no better than the other 3 teams that have made it to the conference finals.

TDMVPDPOY
06-16-2012, 10:43 AM
04 is still sour, not off 0.4

but stupid management, one year rental of the turgonoshow

davi78239
06-16-2012, 10:55 AM
I think the spurs win in 7 games vs the Lakers in 04 if not for fisher and go on and beat the wolves. As far as the Pistons, who knows. I think that would of been another 7 game series.

DesignatedT
06-16-2012, 12:28 PM
We were the 1 seed in 2011

stxspurs
06-16-2012, 01:35 PM
sorry but .04 isnt possible imo. it was a awesome shot

ViceCity86
06-16-2012, 01:49 PM
1999 Spurs-Duncan Robinson dominance
2003 Spurs-Duncan one man virtuoso
2005-2007-Big 4
2008-present-The decline

ViceCity86
06-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Everyone keeps hating Ginobli for the dumb foul on Dirk in 06,but they forgets he hit a dagger 3 on previous possession.

Give and Take

therealtruth
06-16-2012, 01:53 PM
We would have won 8 championships if Parker had a good jumper and 3pt range.

tesseractive
06-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Everyone keeps hating Ginobli for the dumb foul on Dirk in 06,but they forgets he hit a dagger 3 on previous possession.

Give and Take

On the contrary, I think everyone does remember his 3 and all the great work he did that game, and that's why everyone forgives him the foul and he gets so little hate for costing us that series.

If that was Parker, people would have been in the streets of San Antonio burning him in effigy, and he would have been traded that summer.

PublicOption
06-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Whatever the case, whether rules changes, bogus trades, sterns goon refs, stacking teams, the league made a concerted effort to deny us championships so the league could prosper.....what a shame.

PublicOption
06-16-2012, 05:20 PM
We should have at least 6 championships, and if the league doesn't let Shaq go to LA, 9.

PublicOption
06-16-2012, 05:23 PM
In that same period, Dallas should have at least 2 or maybe even 3. I beleive in a fair league it would have been us and Dallas every year for the last 7-8 at least.

Horse
06-16-2012, 05:49 PM
In 2003 Parker was already good, somewhat inconsistent with his jumper though. And we had Bowen since the 01-02 season. Bowen made an all-defensive team before joining the Spurs.

In 2004 the Pistons and the Lakers were clearly better. I didn't look like the Spurs were favorites. Tbh I was surprised when the Spurs won the first two games vs the Lakers. Even without the 0.4, the Spurs were not lock to pass the Lakers, 'Wolfs or Pistons.

In 2006, the Spurs were the favorites from the start of the season. Manu sent us fishing with a dumb +1 foul that tied game 7. The Spurs already won that game.

In 2008, the Celtics were the favorites. They had the more consistent big 3, better defense, much better bigman rotation with better rebounders, even with the Spurs emerging from the west (and the Lakers were better after the Gasol trade), the Spurs had no chance vs the C's.

On paper, after adding RJ and Dice the Spurs should have won the championship, but RJ was a non factor.

This season the Spurs surprised, they were a contender for the first time since 2007. But they were no better than the other 3 teams that have made it to the conference finals.
Horseshit in 08 many wondered if the celtics would make the playoffs cause they thought garnett, allen and pierce was all they had. Then rondo and perkins and a pretty good bench come out of nowhere. I believe we would've beat them in the finals in Manu was healthy.

dunkman
06-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Horseshit in 08 many wondered if the celtics would make the playoffs cause they thought garnett, allen and pierce was all they had. Then rondo and perkins and a pretty good bench come out of nowhere. I believe we would've beat them in the finals in Manu was healthy.

Doc Rivers was the coach, Thibs one of the assistants
Pierce had 30, Garnett 31, Ray Allen 32
Posey and Tony Allen (wasnt used much) as wing defenders
Perkins, Glen Davis, Powe and PJ Brown complementing Garnett
Rondo was a role player, he would become a star the following season
Cassell and Eddie House as PG backups

The Celtics ended 66-16 that season
Even without complementary players, who in his right mind though the Celtics were to miss the playoffs after adding KG and Ray Allen?

Sean Cagney
06-16-2012, 10:44 PM
We would have won 8 championships if Parker had a good jumper and 3pt range.

And many teams can use an IF on a few years to say they might have one or two rings nad have NONE!

BTW I don't get why people think we just win it all in 04 if we get past LA, those Pistons were GOOD! Later on we beat them in 7 games but it took Brent Barry to spell Tony when he was freezing up and Nazr trade to matchup with their frontline! We didn't have HEDON'T EITHER a year later! Pistons were not gimme, they could have beaten us too.

08 Celts were VERY GOOD! If anyone thinks we just go and win that one they are crazy! WE could easily be 4-2 in finals if we made it those years. I feel we would have beaten Miami that year yes, but those other years are a tossup and a possible loss.

Yeah well people were very wrong about that team! The three and the role players were more than enough to win it all! I don't think we beat that Celts team in that series, without HC and so on I feel Spurs lose that series.

Funny I thought this was the Spurs year to repeat finally! THen the Celts add two guys like that and Lakers get a gift all star PF after the break! Spurs were a clear path to the finals IMO if those teams don't get the gifts they got! Spurs repeat got derailed from this on TOP of Manu's injury (Which was one of many to come during or before the playoffs for years).

DMC
06-16-2012, 10:58 PM
I think the spurs win in 7 games vs the Lakers in 04 if not for fisher and go on and beat the wolves. As far as the Pistons, who knows. I think that would of been another 7 game series.
I don't think so. The Lakers found a way to stop Tony from getting into the lane after he abused them a couple of times. Tim needed a circus shot at home just to take the lead with .4 seconds remaining.

The Lakers would have beaten the Spurs.

DMC
06-16-2012, 11:01 PM
sorry but .04 isnt possible imo. it was a awesome shot
.04 seconds is impossible. .4 is difficult, .04 impossible. The clock didn't measure 100ths of a second.

TampaDude
06-17-2012, 09:31 AM
The 2008 Celtics would've crushed the 2008 Spurs in the Finals. Nobody was beating the Celtics that year.

SA210
06-17-2012, 12:35 PM
No, they should have 6peated !!!

More true than most people will ever realize.

therealtruth
06-17-2012, 01:09 PM
In that same period, Dallas should have at least 2 or maybe even 3. I beleive in a fair league it would have been us and Dallas every year for the last 7-8 at least.

Dallas didn't win a championship till their defense got better with Chandler. Offense helps but you need defense to win a championship.

phxspurfan
06-17-2012, 01:34 PM
The 2008 Celtics would've crushed the 2008 Spurs in the Finals. Nobody was beating the Celtics that year.

This. Wasn't this Celtics team the best defensive team ever, after the '04 Pistons? I think both teams were holding playoff caliber teams to 60-something points a game. People seem to forget that those champions won with better defense than the Spurs had during those years. We would have gotten to the finals but lost.