PDA

View Full Version : The War of 1812

Galileo
06-17-2012, 12:41 AM
The War of 1812

The Republican Party feared military establishments and war-making because these were the means by which governments had traditionally enhanced executive power at the expense of liberty.

President Madison, as one admirer noted, had withstood both a powerful foreign enemy and widespread domestic opposition “without one trial for treason, or even one prosecution for libel.” No subsequent American president has ever been able to constrain the growth of executive power in wartime as much as he did.

MORE:

http://ronsview.org/2012/06/12/war-and-executive-power/

:king

SnakeBoy
06-17-2012, 12:57 AM
The War of 1812

The Republican Party feared military establishments and war-making because these were the means by which governments had traditionally enhanced executive power at the expense of liberty.

Well since the Republican Party wasn't founded until 1854, I'm not going to read the link.

Galileo
06-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Well since the Republican Party wasn't founded until 1854, I'm not going to read the link.

The quote is from Gordon Wood, the world's leading expert on the Founding Fathers and early republic.

Wild Cobra
06-17-2012, 01:26 AM
The quote is from Gordon Wood, the world's leading expert on the Founding Fathers and early republic.
And republic automatically means republican?

By just word association, Londo Mollari is also a good republican.

http://www.netmoon.com/babylon5/photo/staffel2/zhadum.jpg (http://www.netmoon.com/babylon5/actors/mollari.htm)

PublicOption
06-17-2012, 01:33 AM
funny how the republcian party used to be a radical liberal party.....what happened?

............JP Morgan Chase bought them all off.

Galileo
06-17-2012, 01:34 AM
And republic automatically means republican?

By just word association, Londo Mollari is also a good republican.

http://www.netmoon.com/babylon5/photo/staffel2/zhadum.jpg (http://www.netmoon.com/babylon5/actors/mollari.htm)

That's the vernacular term used at the time. Sort of like the A's instead of the Athletics, or KFC instead of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Galileo
06-17-2012, 01:38 AM
funny how the republcian party used to be a radical liberal party.....what happened?

Its not the same party. In 1824, the republican party splintered in the War of the Giants (election on 1824). The Andrew Jackson wing became the democrats, the other wings fluctuated.

In 1840, there was a third party called the Liberty party, they then were gobbled up into a bigger coalition called the free soil party, which then was assimilated into the modern Republican party.

Wild Cobra
06-17-2012, 01:41 AM
I think Mollari would be in Obama's administration if he were here.

Thoughts?

Galileo
06-17-2012, 02:07 AM
I think Mollari would be in Obama's administration if he were here.

Thoughts?

who is mollari?

Wild Cobra
06-17-2012, 02:18 AM
who is mollari?
You haven't ever seen the TV series Babylon 5? It was one of the best science fiction series ever made. He was on of the ambassadors on the station, and and near the end, became his home-worlds emperor.

fDhF9sxDm7E

I hope it's not choppy like it was when I watched it, but I have 25 windows opened right now, so that's probably why.

Wild Cobra
06-17-2012, 02:27 AM
I have the pilot movie, five seasons, and other associated movies on DVD. After seeing this, I think I'll watch the series start to end again... That is, when I find time.

EVAY
06-17-2012, 02:50 PM
I would consider it slightly more difficult to expand the power of the government when said government is running around the country trying to avoid being captured by the British.

In other words, I think it might overstate Madison's reticence regarding power. It might just be a function of opportunity (or its lack). Also remember, of all U.S. wars, this was one of the shortest.

Galileo
06-17-2012, 03:04 PM
You haven't ever seen the TV series Babylon 5? It was one of the best science fiction series ever made. He was on of the ambassadors on the station, and and near the end, became his home-worlds emperor.

fDhF9sxDm7E

I hope it's not choppy like it was when I watched it, but I have 25 windows opened right now, so that's probably why.

never seen it, I think I heard of it, though. I don't watch commercial TV very much.

Galileo
06-17-2012, 03:08 PM
I would consider it slightly more difficult to expand the power of the government when said government is running around the country trying to avoid being captured by the British.

In other words, I think it might overstate Madison's reticence regarding power. It might just be a function of opportunity (or its lack). Also remember, of all U.S. wars, this was one of the shortest.

The war was short because Madison used an aggressive approach to get a peace treaty written, only 8 days after the war started, he sent the negotiators to Europe. Only 5 days after the war started, Madison told the British foreign minister he would stop the war if the British stopped kidnapping US sailors. And on the day war was declared, James Monroe also met with the British foreign minister and asked him to seek peace.

EVAY
06-17-2012, 03:34 PM
The war was short because Madison used an aggressive approach to get a peace treaty written, only 8 days after the war started, he sent the negotiators to Europe. Only 5 days after the war started, Madison told the British foreign minister he would stop the war if the British stopped kidnapping US sailors. And on the day war was declared, James Monroe also met with the British foreign minister and asked him to seek peace.

Plus the fact that Britain was a whole lot more interested in defeating Bonaparte in France than they were about messing around with another American war. The British B team was sent to America. The A team was in France, Spain and Belgium.

boutons_deux
06-17-2012, 04:06 PM

The ONE TRUE EXPERT?

Sorta like the NUMBER ONE TRUE CHRIST? :lol

could there be any diversity of expertise? :lol

Galileo
06-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Group Project: Let's Rank The Presidents and Summarize Their Presidencies

James Madison-Accomplishments of president James Madison, our greatest president:

1) the first president to establish limited executive and war powers. Madison set many precedents regarding what a president can do in a time of war:
a) no military draft needed to win
b) no central bank needed
3) no income tax needed
4) no significant standing army needed
5) no violations of civil liberties
6) no censorship of the press
7) no round up of ethnic minorities or enemies
8) declaration of war debated by public and duly voted upon by congress
9) declaration of war states specifically the causes for war and the goals for victory
10) no special executive war powers claimed by president

2) War of 1812 the greatest victory in US history:

a) very low casualties, entire war had fewer deaths than single civil war battles or single battles in Napoleon wars
b) lasting peace established with England
c) Victories at New Orleans, Baltimore, Plattsburgh/Lake Champlain, Horseshoe Bend, Chippewa, Lake Erie, the Thames, Tippecanoe, York, and the 2nd Barbary War are among the greatest in US history
d) War of 1812 & 2nd Barbary war established free trade on the Great Lakes, Mississippi River, Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean Sea, Mediterranean Sea, and Atlantic ocean.
e) Madison retired as the most popular 2nd term president in all US history per many authorities including John Adams
f) Madison started the Era of Good Feelings
g) victories of the USS Constitution, aka Old Ironsides, among the most acclaimed in all US history.
h) Patriotic Uncle Sam icon created during Madison's term
i) famous people like Sam Houston and Davy Crockett got their careers started under Madison
j) War of 1812 veterans dominated congress and the presidency for almost 50 years.

3) Madison delivered 7 vetoes, compared to 0 by Jefferson and Adams and only 2 (minor ones) by Washington.

a) the principle of separation of church and states was clearly established by James Madison, via vetoes.

4) Madison set limits on the powers of a central bank:

a) In January 1815, despite being in the middle for a war, Madison vetoes a bill that would have expanded the powers of the central bank (Madison also let the 1st bank die in 1811, even though he knew war was coming).
b) In 1816, Madison signed a bank bill that had the exact sames powers as the bank already deemed Constitutional by George Washington.
c) Everybody knew exactly what Madison was doing.
d) hence the Federal Reserve Act is not only blantantly unconstitutional, but bad policy as well, per other Madison principles (banks only needed to pay of debts from NECESSARY defensive wars).

5) Madison hand-picked his successor, one of the few to do so:

a) James Monroe went on to become one of our greatest presidents.

6) Madison was never involved in any scandals.

was notable as about the only president ever to conduct a major war without engaging in any massive civil-liberties violations, massacring civilians, or installing any major permanent expansions of the federal government. On the other hand, he oversaw tax increases and signed the Second Bank of the United States into law.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?377729-Group-Project-Let-s-Rank-The-Presidents-and-Summarize-Their-Presidencies

Blake
06-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Rofl ron paul forum

ChumpDumper
06-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Madison got his ass kicked by a Britain with most of its army tied behind its back.

Stringer_Bell
06-18-2012, 06:41 PM

I'm completely flabbergasted that you would insinuate our political leaders, the men and women that put their professional lives on hold to serve the citizens, can be bought off at the expense of freedom. In fact, I don't think you know anything about the Republican Party. I suggest you check out books by popular Republicans such as Sean Hannity and Glenn Beckkk...they'll teach you about the values that make the Grand Old Party so important to our nation's future.

SnakeBoy
06-18-2012, 10:40 PM
2) War of 1812 the greatest victory in US history:

a) very low casualties, entire war had fewer deaths than single civil war battles or single battles in Napoleon wars
c) Victories at New Orleans, Baltimore, Plattsburgh/Lake Champlain, Horseshoe Bend, Chippewa, Lake Erie, the Thames, Tippecanoe, York, and the 2nd Barbary War are among the greatest in US history
d) War of 1812 & 2nd Barbary war established free trade on the Great Lakes, Mississippi River, Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean Sea, Mediterranean Sea, and Atlantic ocean.
e) Madison retired as the most popular 2nd term president in all US history per many authorities including John Adams
g) victories of the USS Constitution, aka Old Ironsides, among the most acclaimed in all US history.
i) famous people like Sam Houston and Davy Crockett got their careers started under Madison
j) War of 1812 veterans dominated congress and the presidency for almost 50 years.

k) Ensured the ultimate genocide of native americans by real americans

You left one off, I added it for you.

ChumpDumper
06-19-2012, 02:17 AM
War of 1812 the greatest victory in US history:

k) The US actually lost their war of aggression led by an incompetent Madison.