PDA

View Full Version : 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music

Fabbs
06-18-2012, 12:53 AM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/12-extremely-disappointing-facts-about-popular-mus

mrsmaalox
06-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Eh. The only one I think is truly disappointing about music is the last one. The others seem more about the "times" than the music.

Bill_Brasky
06-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Population sizes, easier access, etc

benefactor
06-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Population sizes, easier access, etc
/thread

mouse
06-18-2012, 02:11 PM
99% of the bands today would have got booed offstage at Woodstock.

silverblk mystix
06-18-2012, 02:21 PM

Being booed would have been the nicest thing that would have happened to them.

Avante
06-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Most people today don't know music. They don't have any depth. They can't go back. So they think this shit today is great. When in reality it totally sucks. Yes I've tried but it's sooooo bad. I want the music to move me, make some dent.

This takes me places.

_mmZFox4Rkg (http://_mmZFox4Rkg)

Stringer_Bell
06-18-2012, 06:28 PM

There were bands at Woodstock that got booed off stage (or attempted) because their gear was too expensive looking or they weren't wearing everyman clothes.

I'm pretty offended by the Barbra Streisand "fact." She's amazing, unlike Celine Dion that sucks fat dick and sings about it constantly.

Capt Bringdown
06-18-2012, 08:21 PM
We are living through a period of bad art. It happens:
Rococo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rococo)

ChumpDumper
06-19-2012, 02:23 AM
Yay, another music snob thread!

FuzzyLumpkins
06-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Hipsters being hipster.

Drachen
06-19-2012, 08:29 AM
We are living through a period of bad art. It happens:
Rococo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rococo)

I am not art person, but the architecture looks pretty cool.

UZER
06-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Some songs are Gladiator...some songs are Billy Madison...some songs are formula movies. Depending on the day, I might be in the mood for one or the other. It doesn't mean I don't understand and appreciate the beauty of the cinemagraphy, score, script, acting in Gladiator. Sometimes, I know how a movie starts, end, and everything in between, but its still entertaining. Sometimes I just want to laugh at silliness for the sake of laughing at sillines.

I know that some music absolutley sucks out there and are pure money grabs, but movies are they same way. But to call people out for liking some mainstream music seems silly.

PakiDan
06-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Ok....

1. For the most part, the older artists did not have sales and marketing mediums like itunes, amazon and at the base level, the internet. Had those sales avenues been present back then, then I believe it would greatly skew the numbers being presented in favor of the older artists.

2. Justin Bieber is a genius expressly for the way he barged his way into the music industry and created the musical empire that he has at such a young age. Nobody handed him anything. I myself do not listen to his music, but I appreciate the fact that he has accomplished more in his young life through hard work and perseverance than most of you will do in your entire life.

silverblk mystix
06-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Ok....

1. For the most part, the older artists did not have sales and marketing mediums like itunes, amazon and at the base level, the internet. Had those sales avenues been present back then, then I believe it would greatly skew the numbers being presented in favor of the older artists.

2. Justin Bieber is a genius expressly for the way he barged his way into the music industry and created the musical empire that he has at such a young age. Nobody handed him anything. I myself do not listen to his music, but I appreciate the fact that he has accomplished more in his young life through hard work and perseverance than most of you will do in your entire life.

Define accomplished?

If you mean $$$ I agree. Is that the end all be all though?

For some -yes.

For others- not so much.

mouse
06-19-2012, 02:53 PM
To be honest there is no need to buy any music after 1990. Every style and beat you could possibly need you can get from 1969-1989

Music today is like listening to an old joke that has been said no matter how good you say it its been done.before.

redzero
06-19-2012, 03:26 PM
To be honest there is no need to buy any music after 1990. Every style and beat you could possibly need you can get from 1969-1989

Music today is like listening to an old joke that has been said no matter how good you say it its been done.before.

nostalgiafaggotry

Avante
06-19-2012, 03:32 PM
The music that really moves a long time listener of music won't be what we see today. Kids who don't know any better , sure.

Who hasn't been pumping gas when up pulls a car load of kids and that loud gangsta bullshit? They really do think it's cool, and it is to their uneducated ear.

Never have understood LOUD music...why?

silverblk mystix
06-19-2012, 04:48 PM
The music that really moves a long time listener of music won't be what we see today. Kids who don't know any better , sure.

Who hasn't been pumping gas when up pulls a car load of kids and that loud gangsta bullshit? They really do think it's cool, and it is to their uneducated ear.

Never have understood LOUD music...why?

I can understand LOUD. If you like any kind of heavy rock or metalish music--it has to be loud to feel powerful

What I don't understand is when the music is LOUD and SHITTY. Or is so BASS-heavy that you can only hear the bass.

Can someone explain this? If I hear a piece of music I want to hear every instrument. Why is some music loud in the bass parts only?

I don't get that.

leemajors
06-19-2012, 04:56 PM
it's not for you, you don't have to.

mouse
06-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Justin Bieber is a genius expressly for the way he barged his way into the music industry I myself do not listen to his music,.

:lmao

mouse
06-19-2012, 05:01 PM

What do you consider music?

When your not reading the 9/11 commission report.

ChumpDumper
06-19-2012, 05:05 PM
What do you consider music?Who cares?

That's the point.

When your not reading the 9/11 commission report.Post your theory and I'll consider it.

silverblk mystix
06-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Who cares?

That's the point.

Post your theory and I'll consider it.

Right. No one cares about this music because it isn't any good. If it was good-people would care.

So you confirmed the original sentiment-yet you had to come in here and scoff.

Ok.

ChumpDumper
06-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Right. No one cares about this music because it isn't any good. If it was good-people would care.

So you confirmed the original sentiment-yet you had to come in here and scoff.

Ok.There was no original sentiment.

Some dude just posted a link without comment.

And yeah, I will scoff any thread claiming there is some right or wrong answer to a matter that is purely one of personal taste.

I.E., I like the song "Mustang Sally" but who gives a shit?

UZER
06-19-2012, 05:34 PM
I personally hate half the stuff thats out, but I do like some of it. But all you people saying the music sucks today sound just like the parents from 20 yrs ago. This music era doesnt belong to you. It belongs to the kids of today....no matter how crappy it is.

To say people wont be listening to it in 20 years isnt necessarily true because the kids of today will still listen to because it was their era. And those same kids will hate what their kids are listening to and calling it crap. You cant control the music thats out when youre growing up. There are the occassional kids that reject the music of their era buts thats rare.

silverblk mystix
06-19-2012, 05:38 PM
There was no original sentiment.

Some dude just posted a link without comment.

And yeah, I will scoff any thread claiming there is some right or wrong answer to a matter that is purely one of personal taste.

I.E., I like the song "Mustang Sally" but who gives a shit?

I like the song- "D-league Expert"

but that's just me...

ChumpDumper
06-19-2012, 05:41 PM
I like the song- "D-league Expert"

but that's just me...There is no such song.

You're more the "Prison Sex" type anyway.

MannyIsGod
06-19-2012, 05:50 PM

Hipsters being hipster.

My music is better than yours!

There is no such song.

silverblk mystix
06-19-2012, 05:55 PM
There is no such song.

Where's the complaining about "homo-eroticism?"

Is this what's on YOUR mind?

ChumpDumper
06-19-2012, 05:59 PM

:lmaoIt's a song by Tool.

You went straight to the homo angle. We know exactly what is on your mind.

MannyIsGod
06-19-2012, 06:12 PM

Not knowing the song and trying to act so deep while really just annoying the shit out of a lot of people on the site.

What a TOOL.

silverblk mystix
06-19-2012, 06:27 PM

Not knowing the song and trying to act so deep while really just annoying the shit out of a lot of people on the site.

What a TOOL.

Go jerk off over cartoons.

silverblk mystix
06-19-2012, 06:28 PM
lol naming your band TOOL

Garbage music anyway.

MannyIsGod
06-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Go jerk off over cartoons.

lol naming your band TOOL

Garbage music anyway.

:lol Middle aged hipster who thinks he's deep and thinks about me jerking off.

ChumpDumper
06-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Damn. He really didn't know about Tool.
Go jerk off over cartoons.Thus ends the age of enlightenment.

silverblk mystix
06-19-2012, 06:46 PM
If it bothers both of you-I am on the right track.

silverblk mystix
06-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Damn. He really didn't know about Tool.Thus ends the age of enlightenment.

I've heard of Tool-every thing of theirs sucks too.

DPG21920
06-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Silverblk - why is it you cant seem to get along with anyone and constantly engage in these little battles?

silverblk mystix
06-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Silverblk - why is it you cant seem to get along with anyone and constantly engage in these little battles?

You tell me.

DPG21920
06-19-2012, 06:59 PM
I've never spoken with you and you already seem stand-offish to my question. I don't know, or I would not have asked.

silverblk mystix
06-19-2012, 07:03 PM
I've never spoken with you and you already seem stand-offish to my question. I don't know, or I would not have asked.

I haven't spoken to you either and don't think I answered "standoffish" but I would suggest you read the entire thread and decide for yourself as to your question.

That seems a little more reasonable than anything else.

Agloco
06-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Now this is music:

P7gMkiOPSeA

mojorizen7
06-19-2012, 11:01 PM
If you look at Black culture music from say...the dawn of time up until about 1990,the overall creative influence and depth of it upon ALL POPULAR MUSIC in general is astonishing. There would be no Beatles,no Led Zeppelin,no Van Halen,no Soundgarden. Thats just rock music. Throw country music in there too,and pop.

Sadly, Black music has devolved and degenerated into mostly hollow crap over the last 15-20 years. No soul,no depth.

Modern R&B is quite possibly the biggest joke of a word for the type of music it represents. There is no blues. Its sequencers and voice. Thats it.

Has rap music evolved since the early 90's? If you think so please explain how.

Its a shame really.

Not bagging on fans of rap,hip hop or modern R&B......just the culture of music void of progression,influence and longevity where it once was so strong.

Avante
06-19-2012, 11:10 PM
I personally hate half the stuff thats out, but I do like some of it. But all you people saying the music sucks today sound just like the parents from 20 yrs ago. This music era doesnt belong to you. It belongs to the kids of today....no matter how crappy it is.

To say people wont be listening to it in 20 years isnt necessarily true because the kids of today will still listen to because it was their era. And those same kids will hate what their kids are listening to and calling it crap. You cant control the music thats out when youre growing up. There are the occassional kids that reject the music of their era buts thats rare.

The talent just isn't there anymore. No country singers come close to Hank, Marty, Merle or Johnny. The rockers can't hold a candle to The Beatles, Jimi, Janis, Jim, The Rolling Stones. The blues cats can't really relate like those who actually lived the life. All we see today is a packaged deal done by subpar artists.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-19-2012, 11:24 PM
he's been on the rag, lately.

uh oh

:spless:TROLL SUPPORT!!!!!!!!:spless:

CuckingFunt
06-19-2012, 11:32 PM
While at lunch today with a few friends and unknown hipster friends-of-friends, I mentioned that I had been listening to Fiona Apple's new album and that it was really good.

The most annoyingly hipster-y of the unknown hipsters went on some long diatribe about how uncool and irrelevant Fiona Apple is. I don't really give a shit about differences in personal taste because it's such an impossible thing to argue, but just for the hell of it I casually mentioned that it's getting raves and that Pitchfork rated it a 9. I think I could actually see her head explode a little before she quickly stated, as if it were meant to be a continuation of her previous diatribe, that she'd probably listen to the album anyway, you know, just for the sake of curiosity.

Fucking hipsters...

UZER
06-20-2012, 12:14 AM
The talent just isn't there anymore. No country singers come close to Hank, Marty, Merle or Johnny. The rockers can't hold a candle to The Beatles, Jimi, Janis, Jim, The Rolling Stones. The blues cats can't really relate like those who actually lived the life. All we see today is a packaged deal done by subpar artists.

I agree with you 100%. I have many issues with todays music and "artist", such as autotune. But some people think its absolutley ridiculous to like any "pop" song that is out right now just because its on the radio. Some songs are just catchy because thats what there supposed to be whether the artist sucks or not. that is what guilty pleasures are.

Just like I said earlier, some movies dont have great depth but are still entertaining to you. The same goes for some songs. It doesnt mean I have less music knowledge or cant understand and appreciate real soulful music be it rock rnb country etc.

Avante
06-20-2012, 12:42 AM
I agree with you 100%. I have many issues with todays music and "artist", such as autotune. But some people think its absolutley ridiculous to like any "pop" song that is out right now just because its on the radio. Some songs are just catchy because thats what there supposed to be whether the artist sucks or not. that is what guilty pleasures are.

Just like I said earlier, some movies dont have great depth but are still entertaining to you. The same goes for some songs. It doesnt mean I have less music knowledge or cant understand and appreciate real soulful music be it rock rnb country etc.

Once you've heard Hank Williams, Robert Johnson, Tom Waits, Townes Van Zandt, Bessie Smith, Muddy Waters, Nina Simone, The Stones, Bob Dylan, Dr. John, Lightnin Hopkins, Delbert McClinton, early Elvis, what impact can these guys today make?

sx4PsxUvMqY (http://sx4PsxUvMqY)

DeadlyDynasty
06-20-2012, 12:49 AM
This message is hidden because Avante is on your ignore list.

silverblk mystix
06-20-2012, 01:06 AM
he's been on the rag, lately.

uh oh

:spless:TROLL SUPPORT!!!!!!!!:spless:

silverblk mystix
06-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Oh I don't know, if you've ever been to the political forum or the spurs forum and you read some of the threads that Manny is Gay and Cummdumpster participate in...

then if you happen to notice that out of their combined 110,000 posts - at least 108,000 of those have been in some petty argument with other posters...whether it be politics and/or sports...

you might start to wonder why DPG asked me why I am getting in arguments here.

It could just have something to do with the fact that those two morons think they run something here.

Add to that the following;

#1) I speak my mind

#2) I won't take shit from them or anyone

#3) I don't join in cliques

Might just shed some light.

Or you can believe anything you want- as I see you never answered my question to you Viva---why'd you go from talking amiably to me about music to all of a sudden trying to talk shit to me?

MannyIsGod
06-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Sure dude, its everyone else and not you. You're just a deep fellow who speaks his mind, doesn't take shit from anyone, and is too cool for everyone else. Its definitely not that you're a douche bag that everyone sees right through and that you post stupid shit.

Not that at all.

:tu

Avante
06-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Sure dude, its everyone else and not you. You're just a deep fellow who speaks his mind, doesn't take shit from anyone, and is too cool for everyone else. Its definitely not that you're a douche bag that everyone sees right through and that you post stupid shit.

Not that at all.

Never seen so many totally out of touch with reality as I see on this board. Nobody here is all that. Way to many wahwhwah-ers, way too many ..A TROLL YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yet so many think they are so cool...hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silverblk mystix
06-20-2012, 01:22 AM

Not that at all.

Of course, and out of your 50,000 posts at least 48000 were in some petty squabble with anyone that disagreed with you. That has nothing to do with it either.

It kills you that I don't agree with your stupid bullshit. It kills you that I don't play your stupid games.

You are a total joke.

ChumpDumper
06-20-2012, 03:25 AM
I can honestly say that Manny gives less of a shit about what other people think than pretty much anyone here.

All the declarative statements from you wannabe hipsters illustrate just how desperate you are for respect from strangers on an anonymous message board. Seriously, posting shit like that makes you look even more insecure than we thought you were in the first place.

MannyIsGod
06-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Of course, and out of your 50,000 posts at least 48000 were in some petty squabble with anyone that disagreed with you. That has nothing to do with it either.

It kills you that I don't agree with your stupid bullshit. It kills you that I don't play your stupid games.

You are a total joke.

I'm glad you counted my posts. Nothing you do kills me and I'm not sure why you would think that. I screw with you because I find it hilarious. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Dance monkey, dance.

I may be a joke but I'm laughing at you, middle aged hipster.

silverblk mystix
06-20-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm glad you counted my posts. Nothing you do kills me and I'm not sure why you would think that. I screw with you because I find it hilarious. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Dance monkey, dance.

I may be a joke but I'm laughing at you, middle aged hipster.

Now its suddenly hipster.

What else can you do?

Here's a difference between people;

You can start a shitty geek thread about nothing and I don't feel the need to go post in it and scoff at it- If the subject matter doesn't interest me- you can stay in that geek thread page after page.

Other people post a thread and you and chumpie Have to run in and try and start shit.

Starving for attention much?

Keep talking at a computer screen for another 50,000 posts- very impressive.

MannyIsGod
06-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Oh shit - post count smack from the middle aged hipster posting on an internet message board about how good his music taste is and how he loves "human dramas" (LOL).

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Oh I don't know, if you've ever been to the political forum or the spurs forum and you read some of the threads that Manny is Gay and Cummdumpster participate in...

then if you happen to notice that out of their combined 110,000 posts - at least 108,000 of those have been in some petty argument with other posters...whether it be politics and/or sports...

you might start to wonder why DPG asked me why I am getting in arguments here.

It could just have something to do with the fact that those two morons think they run something here.

Add to that the following;

#1) I speak my mind

#2) I won't take shit from them or anyone

#3) I don't join in cliques

Might just shed some light.

Or you can believe anything you want- as I see you never answered my question to you Viva---why'd you go from talking amiably to me about music to all of a sudden trying to talk shit to me?

I asked you a simple fucking question, flapjack. What "shit" could that be???? No need to analyze anything. Answer the damn question!! Geez......

silverblk mystix
06-20-2012, 09:49 AM
I can honestly say that Manny gives less of a shit about what other people think than pretty much anyone here.

All the declarative statements from you wannabe hipsters illustrate just how desperate you are for respect from strangers on an anonymous message board. Seriously, posting shit like that makes you look even more insecure than we thought you were in the first place.

Well shit.

Cumminmydumpster endorsing manny is gay -

There it is- the SEAL OF APPROVAL!

:lmao:lmao

ChumpDumper
06-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Well shit.

Cumminmydumpster endorsing manny is gay -

There it is- the SEAL OF APPROVAL!

:lmao:lmaoWell shit.

Mustang Sally reverts to gay smack after trying to act enlightened for a couple of days.

You lasted longer than I thought tbh but you still failed, and that's what's important. Mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned.

MannyIsGod
06-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Seriously whats up with the homosexual fixation?

johnsmith
06-20-2012, 10:17 AM
For the record, I for one am laughing with chump and manny and laughing AT silverblk.

ChumpDumper
06-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Seriously whats up with the homosexual fixation?I don't know, but he, Fabbs and TJastal have formed a de facto crew whose common trait is composing elaborate homoerotic fan fiction about other male posters. They really get into it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

MannyIsGod
06-20-2012, 10:25 AM
For the record, I for one am laughing with chump and manny and laughing AT silverblk.

Your TROLL SUPPORT is much appreciated.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Troll support!!!!!!!

Frenzy
06-20-2012, 10:42 AM
If that's a troll that's one old ass troll.

mouse
06-21-2012, 07:27 AM
If you can get a legend like MannyIsGod to post more than once in your topic and is also able to get a heavy hitter like ChumpDumper to post out of his element ?
I say, TOTW easy!

:toast

silverblk mystix
06-21-2012, 09:30 AM
If you can get a legend like MannyIsGod to post more than once in your topic and is also able to get a heavy hitter like ChumpDumper to post out of his element ?
I say, TOTW easy!

:toast

:lol

...and the illustrious Mouse to boot.

Remember those children in the playground that had to be the center of attention and bullied everyone else? If they didn't get all the attention- they would do something to draw attention back to them whenever a new kid arrived to school.

Pathetic.

ChumpDumper
06-21-2012, 01:34 PM
lol bullies

DarkReign
06-21-2012, 03:46 PM

True and agreed.

Eehhhh....

Not so much. Hendrix, Beatles, U2 will be listened to forever so long as society doesnt collapse. Tell that to Loverboy, Styx and Foghat. Or even a lower tier, Night Ranger. The 70s #1 lists for both singles and albums is littered with craaaaaaaap. Forgettable crap that only endures on the Oldies station, which btw, is starting to play Prince. Only a matter of time before all that "great" music from the 70s is utterly forgotten. A mere 30+ years ago.

Thats just the 80s. The 90s arent old enough yet to determine who will and wont be forgotten. But forgotten it shall be to some degree.

My old man hat says a lot of new music is forgettable. Time will tell.

cantthinkofanything
06-21-2012, 04:00 PM
True and agreed.

Eehhhh....

Not so much. Hendrix, Beatles, U2 will be listened to forever so long as society doesnt collapse. Tell that to Loverboy, Styx and Foghat. Or even a lower tier, Night Ranger. The 70s #1 lists for both singles and albums is littered with craaaaaaaap. Forgettable crap that only endures on the Oldies station, which btw, is starting to play Prince. Only a matter of time before all that "great" music from the 70s is utterly forgotten. A mere 30+ years ago.

Thats just the 80s. The 90s arent old enough yet to determine who will and wont be forgotten. But forgotten it shall be to some degree.

My old man hat says a lot of new music is forgettable. Time will tell.

LOL. Loverboy > Night Ranger. Not agreeing or disagreeing. Just find it funny.