06-18-2012, 04:15 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_patrick_mills.jpg
Born: Aug 11, 1988
Height: 6-0 / 1.83
Weight: 185 lbs. / 83.9 kg.
Prior to NBA / Country:
St. Mary's (CA) / Australia
Years Pro: 2

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/patrick_mills/career_stats.html)

He has a $885K player option.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Can we merge the two Mills threads? There are already two pages of discussions on the Current Spur one.

Bruno
06-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Can we merge the two Mills threads? There are already two pages of discussions on the Current Spur one.

Well, this thread is to talk whether or not Spurs should re-sign Mills and at what cost. The "current Spur" thread is to talk about what he is doing on the court.

Bruno
06-18-2012, 11:02 AM
If Mills doesn't change his mind and opt out, Spurs will have to decide whether or not making a qualifying offer of $1,085,120. In the case of Spurs not doing draft day trades and Spurs adding De Colo, this choice isn't that easy to do. At the end, the deciding factor is how confident Spurs are that Nando can be the backup PG.

elemento
06-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Honestly i think we should let him go.

He is not a reliable backup PG, even though he is a classy player with a nice attitude.

I know most Spurs fans don't like Cory, but i still think he can be a decent PG for us and i want to see him getting some burn next season.

Bruno what can you say about De Colo as a backup PG only ? I've seen many guys saying he is more a SG than a PG. I don't want another Neal experiment to be honest, even though i know De Colo is a much better ball-handler than Gary.

thx

loveforthegame
06-18-2012, 12:37 PM
He's opting out.

http://www.projectspurs.com/2012-articles/june/report-patty-mills-to-test-free-agency.html

sehui
06-18-2012, 01:03 PM
makes sense, he wasn't getting paid and shit, and finally got some playing time to show off his skills.

Best of luck to your future endeavors, Patty

Bruno
06-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Bruno what can you say about De Colo as a backup PG only ? I've seen many guys saying he is more a SG than a PG. I don't want another Neal experiment to be honest, even though i know De Colo is a much better ball-handler than Gary.

2 or 3 years ago, I saw him too more as a SG than a PG but I've changed a little my mind on that after what he has done in Spain.

Offensively, I think he has no trouble playing both guard spots. He played a lot of PG in Spain and has really improve in the steadiness area. Defensively, he won't be great against either PG or SG even if has improved in this area. He is more committed and in great shape.

ace3g
06-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Paul Garcia PS ‏@24writer

I listened to an the radio interview where Patty Mills said he was going to opt out. But, he's actually still torn with the decision.

Mills says he won't make his final decision until June 25, the deadline, but most likely he will be wanting to explore his options.

@Ericb1980 He said no teams have contacted him or will contact him until he's fully opted out. Though he thinks his stock may have risen

ace3g
06-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Jeff McDonald ‏@JMcDonald_SAEN

Some housecleaning news from tonight: Buford says Spurs have extended qualifying offers to restricted FAs Danny Green, Patty Mills.

BackHome
06-29-2012, 12:45 PM
WTF on Patty Mills......the dude is just way to small.

CGD
06-29-2012, 02:10 PM
The Spurs have to lead the league with the largest accumulation of talented players earning around $1M. Neal, Blair, and Patty. Dollar for dollar, those are pretty awesome find.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-30-2012, 09:01 AM
WTF on Patty Mills......the dude is just way to small.

He's probably the best ball handler outside of Tony and Manu on the club. He can handle, REALLY shoot, and is super quick. I'd actually be interested in knowing what that new fast motion arena camera system would say about that.

Perhaps our expectations for a backup PG might be a bit too high? Neal didn't make it, and DeColo is not signed yet. Extending a QO to Patty only makes good sense.

dylankerouac
06-30-2012, 11:34 AM
He's probably the best ball handler outside of Tony and Manu on the club.

Agreed. At this price there is no room for complaint. Give the guy a training camp, consistent backup minutes at the 1 and see if he can improve the secondary squad.

If he does this for a year he can let his stock increase and aim for a better deal next year. I am sure he wants money now, who wouldn't, but he can gain more with a successful year as a backup to Tony. Plus a shot for a ring and some extra dollars with playoff games.

mosdef17
07-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Does anyone know how much he signed for and the duration? I didn't want to start another thread...

CGD
07-10-2012, 10:31 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I've found zero details.

mosdef17
07-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Being a Spurs fan in Australia, I'm just trying to find out how long the Spurs managed to secure the legitimacy of my Patty Mills jersey for!

Patty in the past 12months alone played for three teams that I follow (and have followed for 10+ years): The Melbourne Tigers, The Spurs and the Australian Boomers. Pretty funny.

timvp
07-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Does anyone know how much he signed for and the duration? I didn't want to start another thread...

From what I hear, two years at about $2.2M.

CGD
07-10-2012, 11:58 PM

Where is that coming from salary wise? Rest of MLE, vet min, or did we sign him using one of the Bird exceptions? Not sure about the Bird rules since we acquired him mid-season last year.

Drz
07-10-2012, 11:58 PM
I like it. The increase in their offensive output is better than the decrease in their defense when he's on the floor. Net positive, good enough for me. Plus, he's fun.

timvp
07-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Where is that coming from salary wise? Rest of MLE, vet min, or did we sign him using one of the Bird exceptions? Not sure about the Bird rules since we acquired him mid-season last year.

He has non-bird rights so he's able to get that amount (by my math it might be closer to $2.1M) without the Spurs using any exception.

mosdef17
07-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Nice, I was hoping (and assuming) it was a multi-year deal. He's great to have just because against the bad teams he can play 20mins of backup PG and play well enough to win. Then against the good teams he can relieve Tony for 10-12mins. Hoping he ends up averaging between 10 and 15mins.

temujin
07-11-2012, 03:24 AM

Very cheap.
Great deal.

mosdef17
07-18-2012, 01:03 AM
Mark Deeks: Patrick Mills re-signed for the value of his qualifying offer ($1,085,120), with a $1,133,950 player option year for 2013-14 (http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html). Twitter (http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-18-2012, 03:30 AM
Mills is also fast. Haven't had a PG duo this quick since Parker/Claxton, oddly enough.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Mills could learn a lot from Parker because he's quick enough to get to the rim, or to a 12ft teardrop, any time he likes, and if Parker can teach him how to maximise his driving game that will be a great compliment to Mills' streaky 3pt shooting.

I really like Mills, and not just because he's from my city, Canberra. I think he could be a spark-plug for the team off the bench, which would free up Pop to use Manu however he liked and get him more rest.

As the team is currently constructed, we need more than one superb game in the WCFs from Manu to win, or we need others to provide what Manu provides - a scoring and playmaking spark off the bench - which, as we all saw, faltered so painfully against OKC this year. I really think Mills, Jax and Diaw will be able to help out with those things next season. Can't wait to see them after a full pre-season together. :D

Vic Petro
07-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Some nice praise from Chris Paul

Los Angeles Clippers point guard Paul, a member of the star-studded US Olympic team expected to win gold, paid tribute to Mills's performance in Beijing, where Australia was beaten by the US in the quarters.
''Patty wasn't in the NBA yet back in [Beijing] '08 and he did an unbelievable job then,'' Paul said after arriving in Manchester ahead of a friendly match against Great Britain tonight.

''He is an even better player now and he's a different player with the national team than he is in the NBA.
''With the national team he gets to get loose, get going and be the player that he is.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/getting-loose-will-help-mills-in-london-20120718-22ash.html