PDA

View Full Version : Sweet! Just booked an offshore kayak fishing trip in Hawaii...

CosmicCowboy
06-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Here's the description:

Off Shore: We also offer big game kayak fishing. This is for the experienced kayak paddler. Client ability must first be assessed. This is a dangerous run. Weather must be completely evaluated to achieve the best conditions. Conditions need to be right and paddlers need to be strong. This is a 2-3 mile paddle out to the deep sea. Out here anything is possible and paddlers need to be ready for adverse weather changes, strong currents, and unfavorable winds. There are sharks out here. Poles, bait, tackle and tools are provided. Water, snacks, lunch and small cooler are also provided. If you want to catch a mahi, ono, tuna, sailfish or marlin this is a great way to do it.

I. Hustle
06-18-2012, 02:54 PM
ppffftttt richers

CosmicCowboy
06-18-2012, 02:56 PM
ppffftttt richers

You don't have credit cards?

clambake
06-18-2012, 02:57 PM
thats awesome. of course, my kayak needs to be about 40ft and sleeps 6.

baseline bum
06-18-2012, 02:57 PM
I never would have thought fishing and kayak together in the same sentence. :lol

CosmicCowboy
06-18-2012, 03:02 PM
I never would have thought fishing and kayak together in the same sentence. :lol

I've been fishing at the coast with kayaks for 15 years.

johnsmith
06-18-2012, 03:02 PM
That looks like a lot of work when I see people doing that.

CosmicCowboy
06-18-2012, 03:03 PM
thats awesome. of course, my kayak needs to be about 40ft and sleeps 6.

yeah I'm chartering a 56' Hatteras for one day too so I can take the crew.

clambake
06-18-2012, 03:05 PM
yeah I'm chartering a 56' Hatteras for one day too so I can take the crew.

how much $$$$ is that?

CosmicCowboy
06-18-2012, 03:05 PM
That looks like a lot of work when I see people doing that.

It's not that bad if you do it right. Kind of like riding a bicycle with your arms...about the same level of exertion.

CosmicCowboy
06-18-2012, 03:06 PM
how much $$$$ is that?

Surprisingly less than in Texas because they don't have to drive so far to get to deep fishing water...about a grand.

johnsmith
It's not that bad if you do it right. Kind of like riding a bicycle with your arms...about the same level of exertion.

I saw a big group going out of Port A a couple weeks ago and I thought, "man, I'm glad our boat has a motor".

TE
Gfy op

Sportcamper
06-18-2012, 03:08 PM
I never would have thought fishing and kayak together in the same sentence.

It is very popular in Cali…Especially for sand bass & halibut…I was in Cayucos watching a kayak getting circled by a huge shark for an hour. The guy could not get away from it….Must have had some smelly bait on board…

CosmicCowboy
06-18-2012, 03:15 PM
It is very popular in Cali…Especially for sand bass & halibut…I was in Cayucos watching a kayak getting circled by a huge shark for an hour. The guy could not get away from it….Must have had some smelly bait on board…

Yeah, sharks are a given any time you are in salt water...any deeper than knee deep and you are no longer at the top of the food chain...Caught a big kingfish in Florida a couple of months ago fishing for sails and a shark clipped him off right behind the gills...nothing left but head...Hell, I've run into big bull sharks in the bay wade fishing...

Drachen
06-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Here's the description:

Off Shore: We also offer big game kayak fishing. This is for the experienced kayak paddler. Client ability must first be assessed. This is a dangerous run. Weather must be completely evaluated to achieve the best conditions. Conditions need to be right and paddlers need to be strong. This is a 2-3 mile paddle out to the deep sea. Out here anything is possible and paddlers need to be ready for adverse weather changes, strong currents, and unfavorable winds. There are sharks out here. Poles, bait, tackle and tools are provided. Water, snacks, lunch and small cooler are also provided. If you want to catch a mahi, ono, tuna, sailfish or marlin this is a great way to do it.

Awesome! I went kayak fishing (on canyon lake) for the first time a few months ago and have wanted a kayak ever since (yes I know, not comparable). That shit is fun. You have to watch out though. I watched a Magnum PI episode when I was like 7 where he went kayaking of the coast of Hawaii and somehow got stuck far off the coast with a certain deep ocean current between him and the coast. He knew that if he paddled toward the coast that he would be swept off to russia. He had to wait a very long time and he was way off course to where he was supposed to be. Then, at the end of the two part episode (yes 2!), TC and Higgins came and picked him up in a helicopter.

Drachen
06-18-2012, 03:20 PM
I guess what I am trying to say is have fun!

CosmicCowboy
06-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Awesome! I went kayak fishing (on canyon lake) for the first time a few months ago and have wanted a kayak ever since (yes I know, not comparable). That shit is fun. You have to watch out though. I watched a Magnum PI episode when I was like 7 where he went kayaking of the coast of Hawaii and somehow got stuck far off the coast with a certain deep ocean current between him and the coast. He knew that if he paddled toward the coast that he would be swept off to russia. He had to wait a very long time and he was way off course to where he was supposed to be. Then, at the end of the two part episode (yes 2!), TC and Higgins came and picked him up in a helicopter.

LOL, i'll make sure the wife is standing by with the chopper warmed up...

And yeah, I love my yaks...my daughter borrowed them last weekend to run the guadalupe...they are 14' and really stable...On calm days I have actually stood up in mine and fly fished at the coast...

johnsmith
06-18-2012, 03:41 PM

And yeah, I love my yaks...my daughter borrowed them last weekend to run the guadalupe...they are 14' and really stable...On calm days I have actually stood up in mine and fly fished at the coast...

It doesn't sound like there is near enough beer consumed on your fishing trips CC. Let me know, and I'll take you out with us, we'll show you how to do this right.

TeyshaBlue
06-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Motorized Kayaks FTW

Drachen
06-18-2012, 03:48 PM

I am not in a place where I can buy one yet (probably going to get a road bike first), but I can take advantage of week long rentals of kayaks from UTSA for free. They are 12 footers, so not too bad.

CosmicCowboy
06-18-2012, 04:17 PM
It doesn't sound like there is near enough beer consumed on your fishing trips CC. Let me know, and I'll take you out with us, we'll show you how to do this right.

:lmao

Oh, there is lots of beer being consumed, I just have excellent tolerance after many years of intense training.

tlongII
06-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I don't see how you could catch a large tuna, sailfish, or marlin in one of those things.

mavs>spurs
06-18-2012, 04:20 PM
i'm planning on getting a kayak soon for freshwater fishing, that's about as far as i'll go. the idea of sharks scares the fuck out of me. this video made me even think twice about freshwater

kj8fED5Otmo

mavs>spurs
06-18-2012, 04:24 PM
qact3tARlm0

CosmicCowboy
06-18-2012, 04:47 PM
I don't see how you could catch a large tuna, sailfish, or marlin in one of those things.

It just depends how early in the day you hook up. It could be a 4 or 5 hour sleigh ride on a big marlin or tuna till you wear them out. Sailfish probably an hour. on a Marlin I'd probably just do an IGFA release and leader it and release it...I'm not trying to pull a thrashing 300# marlin into the yak for a picture. Got my ass kicked by a green 90# sailfish a couple months ago on a big boat doing a photo op. I intentionally brought him in fast to get a picture and release him healthy and he was a little too healthy.

Koolaid_Man
06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
As season Oars man myself - I could give advice but I will refrain..

and lol @ Tyson so much fail in this thread..just wow

Koolaid_Man
06-18-2012, 04:55 PM
I own a timeshare in Hawaii but I'll probably sell it soon the fishing out there should be good......Bora Bora in Tahiti is my next destination...

clambake
06-18-2012, 06:02 PM
sweet!!! i just signed up for a gig in hawaii where i get to witness the autopsy of shark attack victims!

thispego
06-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Why would you wanna go deep sea fishing in a kayak? :lol that sounds miserable

Lincoln
06-18-2012, 06:24 PM
:lol taco bell employee with a bastard child questioning anyone's decisions

Shouldn't you be upstairs bitching about the refs still faggot?

thispego
06-18-2012, 06:31 PM

You a loser, bro :lol

BlairForceDejuan
06-19-2012, 05:15 AM

Dude it's great. We've been kayak fishing for about 10 years now and I enjoy it a lot more than going out in a $30k boat. You're right on the water and can go in 2 inches of water so you can get back in the marshes where the big boy reds like to hide. When you hook up to a big fish they drag you around (Texas Sleigh Ride). It's a much more intimate experience with nature. I've had reds try to take my lures literally 1 foot from my feet in the kayak when I'm reeling back in to cast back out.

I'm super comfortable in my rigged out Malibu kayaks, but not crazy about going out in the middle of the ocean yet. Not scared of sharks or anything since I'm already used to watching my ass for big gators but strong currents, crazy weather, too far away from land...I don't know about that!

I've never "big game" fished, but I'd be kinda iffy about how far out a huge ass swordfish would drag me out once hooked up.

Drachen
06-19-2012, 08:24 AM
I just thought of a question. After the Texas sleigh ride is over (sounds like fun! LOL). What do you do? Smash the fish over the head? Where do you put a big ass shark/swordfish/etc? Do you lash it to the side of your boat? Do they wake you up and drag you some more?

I. Hustle
06-19-2012, 08:32 AM
http://www.kayakcrazy.com/f/public/1326141110_253_FT248_africageographic200509p4243.j pg

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I just thought of a question. After the Texas sleigh ride is over (sounds like fun! LOL). What do you do? Smash the fish over the head? Where do you put a big ass shark/swordfish/etc? Do you lash it to the side of your boat? Do they wake you up and drag you some more?

to start with, I never kill billfish...just line them, quick picture, and release them. As far as a big tuna, wahoo, etc. will just have to play that one by ear...typically you gaff them and then drag them in with you...I don't seriously expect to catch a multi-hundred pound ahi tuna but it would be fun to sleigh ride if I did...

Sportcamper
06-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Awesome photo…That is about what I watched in Cayucos…:lol

Blake
06-19-2012, 11:37 AM
http://www.kayakcrazy.com/f/public/1326141110_253_FT248_africageographic200509p4243.j pg

The line running down the middle of the photo adds authenticity, imo

I. Hustle
06-19-2012, 11:56 AM
LOL I didn't say it was real Blake. I could just imagine that happening.

baseline bum
06-19-2012, 12:19 PM
I have never done any kayaking, much less less kayaking with a fishing pole. I assume just the kayaking itself is a monster upper body workout (would love to take one out to Yellowstone Lake, Thousand Island Lake up in the Sierras, or maybe Jackson or Jenny Lake out in Grand Teton some day).

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2012, 01:43 PM
LOL I didn't say it was real Blake. I could just imagine that happening.

It IS a real photo. It was taken off the coast of Africa.

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2012, 01:46 PM
I have never done any kayaking, much less less kayaking with a fishing pole. I assume just the kayaking itself is a monster upper body workout (would love to take one out to Yellowstone Lake, Thousand Island Lake up in the Sierras, or maybe Jackson or Jenny Lake out in Grand Teton some day).

Done properly it's not as tough as you would think...it's not like paddling a boat...basically you hold the paddle almost straight out in front of you and then roll your shoulders bending at the waist and use your back muscles. The kayaks aren't as resistant to motion as you would expect.

clambake
06-19-2012, 01:47 PM
It IS a real photo. It was taken off the coast of Africa.

its actually 2 pictures.

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2012, 01:51 PM
its actually 2 pictures.

It's not. That's a photo of a magazine. It was originally published in 2005 in Africa Geographic. The guy in the kayak is a biologist doing research on the sharks.

clambake
06-19-2012, 01:54 PM
why does each side look so different if its one photo?

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2012, 01:55 PM
why does each side look so different if its one photo?

It's a full two page photo in a magazine. The line is the fold in the magazine.

The picture is real.

clambake
06-19-2012, 01:58 PM
it looks like the landscape matches perfectly, yet the skyline doesn't. nor does some water ripples.

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2012, 02:03 PM
it looks like the landscape matches perfectly, yet the skyline doesn't. nor does some water ripples.

*sigh*

http://www.whitesharktrust.org/media/newsmedia2/africageographic200509p0000.jpg

This amazing photograph shows a great white shark trailing a man in a sea kayak. The photograph's caption explains:
Sitting in a 3.8 meter sea kayak and watching a four meter great white approach you is a fairly tense experience.
Although some have doubted its authenticity, the photograph is genuine. It was taken from the September 2005 issue of Africa Geographic. The article details a study of Great White Sharks in South Africa by biologists Michael C. Scholl and Thomas P. Peschak. Kayaks were used to study the sharks because, unlike the motorized research vessel, they could manoeuvre more easily in shallow or treacherous water and had no engine noise to disturb the sharks' natural behaviours. The authors explain more about the incident shown in the photograph:
Although we had extensively tested the sharks' reactions to an empty kayak and had observed no signs of aggression, this gave us little comfort as we eyed a great white heading straight for us, albeit slowly. Just a metre or so from the craft it veered off, circled and slowly approached from behind. It did this several times, occasionally lifting its head out of the water to get a better look. Then it lost interest, and as it continued on its way we were able to follow a short distance behind. Once we'd come to terms with having nothing between ourselves and a four-metre shark except a thin layer of plastic, our kayak made an ideal research platform for observing great white behaviour in shallow water.
The article provides a very interesting insight into Great White Sharks and includes a number of other excellent photographs.

This photograph, along with other shark photographs taken by Michael Scholl and Thomas Peschak, was later reused as part of an April Fools joke perpetrated by a French magazine. After its publication, the story - a fanciful tale involving a Great White Shark's devotion to a kindly fisherman who once saved its life - began circulating via email and the Internet as a slide show.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/shark-following-kayaker.shtml

BlairForceDejuan
06-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Yeah. You'd be surprised how easily Kayaks glide on the water. It's not really a hard workout at all unless you are paddling into the wind. If it's strong winds, it sucks heh. Once you get going you really only have to paddle once every couple seconds to keep gliding.

In kayaks though you can get superrrrrr close to fish, whereas in a big loud boat even with a trolling motor you will scare them away comparatively. The only downside is you can't blast across to the other side of the bay if the fish aren't biting.

Lincoln
06-19-2012, 02:43 PM

You a loser, bro :lol

Hey, I'm just stating facts about your failure of a life. I bet your mom was real proud that her son became a druggie taco bell manager working for 10$ an hour at 27 with a bastard child

clambake
06-19-2012, 03:09 PM
great story. why didn't they explain the 2 pictures?

Blake
06-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Guy in a shark suit, imo

SpurinDallas
06-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Shark bait woo ha ha

thispego
06-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Hey, I'm just stating facts about your failure of a life. I bet your mom was real proud that her son became a druggie taco bell manager working for 10$ an hour at 27 with a bastard child

:lol facts

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2012, 04:05 PM
great story. why didn't they explain the 2 pictures?

Here is the same photo without the reproduction imperfection.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3271/2368068448_ff71703765_o.jpg

ALVAREZ6
06-19-2012, 04:21 PM
^^^I would shit my pants 5 times in that situation^^^

Don't Great Whites breach somewhere off the coast in South Africa too? If that thing were curious enough it could very easily snag that dude.

z0sa
06-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Here is the same photo without the reproduction imperfection.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3271/2368068448_ff71703765_o.jpg

Yeah the idea of this actually happening just ruined any idea of offshore kayaking for me

baseline bum
06-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah the idea of this actually happening just ruined any idea of offshore kayaking for me

Eh, you'll see them swimming too. I remember swimming at a practically deserted Redondo Beach one April day and seeing 2 or 3 sharks within maybe 100-200 feet of me and deciding it was probably better to slowly go back to shore for the day. :lol

mouse
06-19-2012, 05:04 PM
How did the horn tooter miss this topic?

Sorry CC I can't picture your redneck ass on a kayak please post the pics if it happens. :toast

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2012, 05:05 PM
I was hurricane surfing out of freeport and was out at the third break (about 1/4 mile offshore) at sunrise and saw an 18' hammerhead in the wave right behind me perfectly outlined by the rising sun only about 10 feet away. Waves were 6-8 and coming in 5 wave sets and the last was always the biggest...I was waiting for the last one when I saw it...I belly flopped on my board and paddled with my fingers and caught that wave and rode that bitch all the way to the sand, then just rolled out on the sand and shook for about 5 minutes as the adrenaline rush peaked and wore off.

DMC
06-19-2012, 05:08 PM
I've had a big bull shark take a 30" redfish off my line 5' from where I was wade fishing, and he didn't even bite the fish, just engulfed it.

thispego
06-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Lol y'all tell the same stories over and over

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2012, 05:17 PM
I've had a big bull shark take a 30" redfish off my line 5' from where I was wade fishing, and he didn't even bite the fish, just engulfed it.

About 5 years ago was wade fishing at Kates Hole just south of the Land Cut and were about 1/4 mile from the boat (leap frogging with two other guys) in waist deep water...we were killing the big trout...I had already released a 28 and a 29...cast a croaker to some noisy water in front of us and it was a damn bull shark and he actually hit the damn croaker and hooked up right in the corner of his mouth...he came blowing up out of the water when he felt the hook and there was 5' of shark just from his nose to the front of his dorsal...obviously broke him off immediately but it was definitely a butt puckering few minutes there trying to figure out what that bad boy was up to.

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2012, 05:19 PM

Meh...some memories stand out more than others.

Why don't you tell us that one about the time you were eating cheetos and beat your little sister playing XBox.

DMC
06-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Did I tell you about how I moved out of state and made payments on my kid? Or how about the time I made friends with a fat guy with a mop head who looked like a Southpark character? Or that one time I tried to score drugs on Spurstalk?

clambake
06-19-2012, 05:28 PM

Why don't you tell us that one about the time you were eating cheetos and beat your little sister playing XBox.

MannyIsGod
06-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Sounds pretty bad ass but I'm with those who said that the picture of the Great White behind the kayak pretty much fucked it for them. :lol

I definitely want to go Tuna finishing though. The idea of eating FRESH fucking sashimi on a boat just sounds soooooooooooooooo good to me. I'll leave the kayaking to you.

MannyIsGod
06-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Sounds pretty bad ass but I'm with those who said that the picture of the Great White behind the kayak pretty much fucked it for them. :lol

I definitely want to go Tuna finishing though. The idea of eating FRESH fucking sashimi on a boat just sounds soooooooooooooooo good to me. I'll leave the kayaking to you.

thispego
06-19-2012, 06:20 PM

I don't play gay ass video games

thispego
06-19-2012, 06:28 PM
At least CC's rehashed stories are cool, dmc tells stories that happen to everyone :lol

Samuel Eto'o
06-19-2012, 06:32 PM
I don't play gay ass video games

BlairForceDejuan
06-19-2012, 07:49 PM
That's why I'll rarely use a stringer when I'm in the kayak. If it's 30" or more I'll keep it, but shorter than that..nah

Seen too many 7'+ gators on the surface around where I fish.

DMC
06-20-2012, 12:19 AM
At least CC's rehashed stories are cool, dmc tells stories that happen to everyone :lol
So everyone can relate.

I try to keep it simple for the Taco Bell staff.

If I got into any detail about what I really do, you would have to go back to school just to keep up.

CosmicCowboy
06-20-2012, 08:28 AM
That's why I'll rarely use a stringer when I'm in the kayak. If it's 30" or more I'll keep it, but shorter than that..nah

Seen too many 7'+ gators on the surface around where I fish.

Are you talking about reds? You know the slots 20-28, right?

BTW, I take those insulated bags and frozen water bottles and bag the fish and put them inside the hatch.

BlairForceDejuan
06-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Are you talking about reds? You know the slots 20-28, right?

BTW, I take those insulated bags and frozen water bottles and bag the fish and put them inside the hatch.

I know. Where I fish, or due to my skill lol, 30" reds are extremely rare. I've only ever had to use one of my tags on a 32". I love freshly caught redfish, but between my uncle being retired down there and my dad semi-retired down there I have years worth of redfish filets to eat. I throw those suckers back and pray I'll catch them again once they are giants. I caught that 32" red in a boat though. I am still waiting to feel what it feels like to be dragged around by one in a yak. :(

That's a good idea. I'll look into that.

thispego
06-20-2012, 12:04 PM
So everyone can relate.

I try to keep it simple for the Taco Bell staff.

If I got into any detail about what I really do, you would have to go back to school just to keep up.