PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Spurs may be trying to move way up in the draft

Duncan2177
06-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Someone posted this on spursreport.com, Don't know how much truth there's to it but here it is.

Rumor: Spurs may be trying to move way up in the draft

A buddy who has been a good source of insider talk and rumors from around the league is telling me that the Spurs may be trying to land the #2 pick in the draft from Charlotte in order to get Kansas player Thomas Robinson (PF).

There are some reports out there that the Spurs have been looking at Big Men who are way beyond their draft pick range and now this report leads me to believe that there may be something to this rumor.

Check it out and post your thoughts as to who SA would trade for that pick if true.

Charlotte Bobcats – The Bobcats may not trade the second overall pick, but it won’t be for lack of trying. In recent weeks, Charlotte has been in contact with a number of teams and they’ve made it clear that the No. 2 pick is available. However, multiple league sources have said that the Bobcats are looking for a lot in return. They would like to add a face of the franchise player, which is why they’ve reportedly expressed interest in young stars like Rudy Gay and James Harden. If the Bobcats can’t use the pick to make a splashy move, they’ll likely draft Thomas Robinson. However, Charlotte continues to hold out hope that they can move the pick and bring in a player who can make an impact right away.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturday-which-picks-are-available

mexicanjunior
06-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Parker and Splitter would be the only things I could see as realistic trade chips to move up that high.

baseline bum
06-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Blow up the team for fucking Thomas Robinson? :vomit:

Cant_Be_Faded
06-18-2012, 04:09 PM
KU players rarely rarely pan out

DesignatedT
06-18-2012, 04:10 PM
lol not happening

Cant_Be_Faded
06-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Its like pierce and Vaughn and then everyone else

Thomas82
06-18-2012, 04:17 PM
I can see us moving up, but not for Thomas Robinson. I don't think he would be a good fit next to Tim Duncan, and we need somebody taller than 6'9".

ace3g
06-18-2012, 04:20 PM
smokescreen for when Spurs draft Bernard James in 2nd round.

DesignatedT
06-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Bobcats aren't that stupid. Kawhi would most likely have to be apart of any deal that sends the #2 pick here which means this is retarded.

DPG21920
06-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I can't see the Spurs doing anything drastic unless it's someone they are absolutely in love with. It's hard to imagine after the success they had this year (even with an epic shitty collapse) that they would want to blow it up - and getting into the top 5 will take Parker or Gino and that is blowing it up IMO.

It's hard to see Gino's value being that high and it doesn't make a ton of sense to trade TP, but you never know. If the Spurs get a pick that high, you just have to trust the kid will be a damn good basketball player.

But this can come down to assest and perceived value. As great as Kawhi and Parker and Gino are, the number two pick (in any draft) is pretty damn valuable. But it just doesn't add up that they blow it up with the success they've had and this late into the game.

TimmehC
06-18-2012, 04:32 PM
:lol Spursreport still exists?

BTW, if something like this actually "leaked" from the Spurs org., you can be damn sure it's a smokescreen.

JustinJDW
06-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Move up to #2 to get Thomas Robinson? No way. Tired of these 6'8" big man. And Charlotte would be stupid to take Robinson over MKG.

Legacy
06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
I don't think he would be a good fit next to Tim Duncan, and we need somebody taller than 6'9".

:pop: -- HAH! Fat chance, morons! ... NOBODY and I mean NOBODY will EVER be a good fit next to Timmy. Period. :hat

mexicanjunior
06-18-2012, 04:56 PM
:pop: -- HAH! Fat chance, morons! ... NOBODY and I mean NOBODY will EVER be a good fit next to Timmy....except Matt Bonner. Period. :hat

fify

Duncan2177
06-18-2012, 04:58 PM
:pop::pctoss

Legacy
06-18-2012, 04:58 PM
fify

:lmao

jason1301
06-18-2012, 05:02 PM
That kid has the potential to be much better pleayer than a Prime Tony, and considering that Tony, Manu and Timmy will keep regressing, I say go for it.

Ditty
06-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Drummond & Leonard anchoring the defense for the future :smokin

alucardthereaper
06-18-2012, 05:05 PM

i'm with you there....

szkorhetz
06-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Move up to #2 to get Thomas Robinson? No way. Tired of these 6'8" big man. And Charlotte would be stupid to take Robinson over MKG.
MKG will never be as good as Kawhi. So, Kawhi would be considered as the second overall pick in this draft? Nice.

Budkin
06-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Trade Kawhi and give Bonner a contract extension.

szkorhetz
06-18-2012, 05:14 PM
5year/60 mill?

ferg
06-18-2012, 05:19 PM

I was stationed with that kid in northern Cali. I think he is def spurs material. very humble and coachable. Would be a solid move.

AFBlue
06-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Was Robinson even interviewed by the Spurs at the Draft Combine? I know they interviewed Drummond, but I hadn't heard of anything involving Robinson.

Seems impossible without surrenduring Tony Parker, and that seems almost impossible.

stxspurs
06-18-2012, 05:36 PM
sounds like nonsense. especially since they are talking about a 6'9" PF

Thomas82
06-18-2012, 05:46 PM
sounds like nonsense. especially since they are talking about a 6'9" PF

My thoughts exactly!! I believe they'll move up, but it'll be for somebody that's around 6'11".

CGD
06-18-2012, 06:03 PM
No where in the articel pointed to as the "source" does it mention the Spurs being linked to the #2 pick.

tesseractive
06-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Parker and Splitter would be the only things I could see as realistic trade chips to move up that high.

Splitter? I can't imagine he's worth remotely close a #2 pick. Besides, Charlotte wants somebody good enough that they can start organizing the team around and winning. That means Tony.

If I'm not mistaken, we'd need to take salary back -- the new cap rules max out at $5M in salary difference if I understand them correctly.

So what if it was something like Tony, Bonner, and Gary Neal for Tyrus Thomas, DJ Augustin, and the #2?

Add some athleticism at the 4, get back a point guard who can at least play a little, and get a high pick with a potential franchise player to develop -- whether that's Robinson, MKG, or someone else.

In return, the Bobcats get a franchise player who made an All-NBA team last year and has a Finals MVP to his name, and add a couple of sharpshooters for him to pass it to.

When you're the Bobcats, trading for an actual franchise player is way better than drafting yet another potential franchise player who may not pan out. Not least because then they could use their cap space and have a real chance of luring a free agent to come play with Tony.

Completely crazy? Have I totally misgauged value somewhere?

cd98
06-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Why trade the number 2 pick for Tony Parker, a 30 year old point guard that will probably only have two or three dominant seasons before age takes away his speed and elite scoring ability? They want someone that is an established NBA player in his mid to late 20s. If they take Tony, they won't turn things around and by NBA title contenders in three years, so why waste it on a good chance that they will draft an all star caliber player with the number 2 pick?

DesignatedT
06-18-2012, 06:25 PM
So what if it was something like Tony, Bonner, and Gary Neal for Tyrus Thomas, DJ Augustin, and the #2?

lol

Libri
06-18-2012, 06:28 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/Smoke_screen.jpg

tesseractive
06-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Why trade the number 2 pick for Tony Parker, a 30 year old point guard that will probably only have two or three dominant seasons before age takes away his speed and elite scoring ability? They want someone that is an established NBA player in his mid to late 20s. If they take Tony, they won't turn things around and by NBA title contenders in three years, so why waste it on a good chance that they will draft an all star caliber player with the number 2 pick?

Because if they start winning games, they have a shot to attract free agents and to keep guys like Biyombo. Right now, no one in their right mind would go play in Charlotte given the choice. If they had a legit star -- and one who could set other players up, to boot -- they would look a whole lot more appealing.

Besides, if they had a star, they might be able to sell some season tickets over the next couple of years. Absolutely nobody wants to go to a Bobcats game right now, and drafting Robinson or MKG won't change that.

baseline bum
06-18-2012, 06:45 PM
If Parker is traded it will be a pretty clear indication that Duncan is retiring (which I seriously doubt). In that case I think you try to trade Parker for the Trailblazers two picks. The two guys I like at #2 are both SFs (MKG, Barnes) and picking one of them would probably require trading Kawhi (no dice).

Twisted_Dawg
06-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Someone posted this on spursreport.com, Don't know how much truth there's to it but here it is.

Lost me and stopped reading at Spursreport.

Is that piece of shit site still running?

Duncan2177
06-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Lost me and stopped reading at Spursreport.

Is that piece of shit site still running?

Yes it is http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/

lmbebo
06-18-2012, 06:57 PM
used to visit that site a lot more, but ever seen Dusty(I think?) left, it just slowly died for me.
This site, while cruder at times, just seems to have a lot better info and takes.

As for the "rumor", I think the spurs are always doing there homework, looking for ways to improve the team. Would be great if they could get a decent big in the lotto without giving up too much (Tim, Tony, Manu, Kwahi), but thats unlikely.

Doubt portland trades with us anyways. They always seem hell bent to screw us.

tesseractive
06-18-2012, 06:58 PM
If Parker is traded it will be a pretty clear indication that Duncan is retiring (which I seriously doubt). In that case I think you try to trade Parker for the Trailblazers two picks. The two guys I like at #2 are both SFs (MKG, Barnes) and picking one of them would probably require trading Kawhi (no dice).

Supposedly we were willing to trade Parker at the right price last year (Ludden reported it in his Yahoo piece, which is as definitive as we're going to get, I think), so I'm not sure you're correct in terms of what the front office is thinking. As always, I could be completely wrong, though.

My assumption was that Kawhi could handle a move to shooting guard -- he's certainly defended the 2 this year, and 2/3 is more or less interchangeable in our system. Do you think that would be a problem?

DPG21920
06-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Not speaking on anything else (right or wrong, personal feelings), trading TP for the 2nd pick in the draft would be good value obviously. I don't think TP's value is nearly that high.

Budkin
06-18-2012, 07:01 PM
There's a rumor that the Spurs are trying to get better.

baseline bum
06-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Supposedly we were willing to trade Parker at the right price last year (Ludden reported it in his Yahoo piece, which is as definitive as we're going to get, I think), so I'm not sure you're correct in terms of what the front office is thinking. As always, I could be completely wrong, though.

My assumption was that Kawhi could handle a move to shooting guard -- he's certainly defended the 2 this year, and 2/3 is more or less interchangeable in our system. Do you think that would be a problem?

Everything about moving Parker was tied with salary dumping Jefferson, and Dick is gone now.

baseline bum
06-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Not after Robinson, hes not worth the second pick. Spurs looking to get one of portlands picks or NO 10....Targets John Henson, Lennard, Waiters.

Spurs will go after Batum or Hill in the summer.

Spurs have made Blair, Splitter trade bait to make this happen.

I don't want Batum at all after Leonard's impressive year. Besides, Portland has something like $25 million in cap room this summer to not only re-sign him, but to add another quality player.

DPG21920
06-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Jackson Heights own, Mr. Randy Watson.

Legacy
06-18-2012, 07:10 PM
There's a rumor that the Spurs are trying to get better.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/193345/MattBaggins.jpg

Legacy
06-18-2012, 07:11 PM
sexual chocolate!

Dat boy good!!

iManu
06-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Parker and a pick for Robinson,

Splitter, Neal, Blair, picks, etc. etc. for Okafor and the #10 (Especially if Lillard is still there).

That would mean dominance (and safety) for years to come.

baseline bum
06-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Parker and a pick for Robinson,

Splitter, Neal, Blair, picks, etc. etc. for Okafor and the #10 (Especially if Lillard is still there).

That would mean dominance (and safety) for years to come.

LOL Corey Joseph starting point guard = dominance

Dex
06-18-2012, 07:21 PM
:lmao Two weeks and Tony has already gone from being team MVP to trade bait again.

Dex
06-18-2012, 07:22 PM
And for those of you who are ready for the Spurs to go into all-out rebuilding mode already, go down to PistonsTalk and ask the guys there how much they have enjoyed the last few seasons.

BatManu20
06-18-2012, 07:41 PM
That might be the dumbest thing i've ever heard. That's nothing more then a rumor.

tesseractive
06-18-2012, 07:43 PM
:lmao Two weeks and Tony has already gone from being team MVP to trade bait again.

I like Tony. I think he did a brilliant job this year. And I still think he might be worth trading, given the right deal.

NickiRasgo
06-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Why the Spurs wants to move higher in the NBA Draft by (assuming) one of our player when we can simply do this off-season are minimal change of the roster? I mean I'm already contented with our current roster. The only thing I want this NBA Draft for the Spurs is draft a defensive-big, nothing else. Maybe, trade Blair, Neil and any other else like Mills or Bonner then draft Bernard James for the second round or any available defensive-bigs..

AFBlue
06-18-2012, 07:58 PM
I like Tony. I think he did a brilliant job this year. And I still think he might be worth trading, given the right deal.

Plain and simple, this is Tony's team. There is no scenario that has the Spurs trading Tony Parker and maintaining "contender" status. The only scenario where trading Tony makes sense is a Tim Duncan retirement.

SenorSpur
06-18-2012, 08:00 PM
I highly doubt the Spurs are trying to move all the way up to the #2 slot. Besides not having the necessary assets by which to do so, I don't think they're looking to fast track an immediate rebuild - especially with Duncan presumed to be coming back. Another thing to remember, any of those bottom-feeding teams, like the Bobcats, that are willing to trade their high lottery pick, will likely attempt to attach one of their bad contracts as part of any trade.

That said, if the Spurs are indeed trying to get into 1st round, I'd have to think they'd likely be targeting somewhere in the middle of the round - similar to last year. I'm sure they'll be looking toward getting good value for a big that may slide. Possible targets could be John Henson or Meyers Leonard. I doubt they'd be willing to take a flyer on a player with a questionable motor like Andre Drummond. Despite his athletic prowess, the risk with him would be way too high. The Spurs FO is much too smart to take an unnecessary risk like that.

Duncan2177
06-18-2012, 08:08 PM
I highly doubt the Spurs are trying to move all the way up to the #2 slot. Besides not having the necessary assets by which to do so, I don't think they're looking to fast track an immediate rebuild - especially with Duncan presumed to be coming back. Another thing to remember, any of those bottom-feeding teams, like the Bobcats, that are willing to trade their high lottery pick, will likely attempt to attach one of their bad contracts as part of any trade.

That said, if the Spurs are indeed trying to get into 1st round, I'd have to think they'd likely be targeting somewhere in the middle of the round - similar to last year. I'm sure they'll be looking toward getting good value for a big that may slide. Possible targets could be John Henson or Meyers Leonard. I doubt they'd be willing to take a flyer on a player with a questionable motor like Andre Drummond. Despite his athletic prowess, the risk with him would be way too high. The Spurs FO is much too smart to take an unnecessary risk like that.

Fab Melo?

Budkin
06-18-2012, 08:45 PM
And for those of you who are ready for the Spurs to go into all-out rebuilding mode already, go down to PistonsTalk and ask the guys there how much they have enjoyed the last few seasons.

Not until Timmy is done. With some improved defense we can be right up there again next year.

jgome21
06-18-2012, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't mind if the spurs somehow traded up for a late 1st rounder and nabbed Fab Melo.

coachmac87
06-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Thomas Robinson is 6'10. He will be a legit pf in this league in many years. Possibly be early fav of ROY.

AFBlue
06-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Fab Melo?

Bigs that may drop into the late teens/early 20's where I think the Spurs could land with a trade piece and/or a future pick...

Jared Sullinger (medical red flag)
Perry Jones (no production to match skill)
Terrence Jones (tweener)
Tyler Zeller (low ceiling)
Arnett Moultrie (unheralded prospect)
John Henson (no projection in terms of his body)

AFBlue
06-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Thomas Robinson is 6'10. He will be a legit pf in this league in many years. Possibly be early fav of ROY.

He measured out just under 6'9 in shoes at the draft combine. He was also middle of the pack when it came to standing reach. But, I'm not disagreeing that he could be a legit PF for years...love the athleticism, motor, rebounding, and production.

cd98
06-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Because if they start winning games, they have a shot to attract free agents and to keep guys like Biyombo. Right now, no one in their right mind would go play in Charlotte given the choice. If they had a legit star -- and one who could set other players up, to boot -- they would look a whole lot more appealing.

Besides, if they had a star, they might be able to sell some season tickets over the next couple of years. Absolutely nobody wants to go to a Bobcats game right now, and drafting Robinson or MKG won't change that.

MKG will sell tickets. It's Charlotte. Free agents aren't going there even if Tony gets traded there. And Tony will probably whine his way out. At this point in his career he doesn't want to be part of phase I of a rebuilding project.

Bill_Brasky
06-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Can't see Spurs moving into the top 10. If they wanna trade into the first round they might be able to swing something but I don't see us landing anything higher than 15.

Salty
06-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Dumb question. I don't believe this rumor, but IF it were at all true and we had to take a bad contract as part of the deal, would it be possible to use our amnesty clause on that player?

Wild Cobra Kai
06-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Dumb question. I don't believe this rumor, but IF it were at all true and we had to take a bad contract as part of the deal, would it be possible to use our amnesty clause on that player?

No. Player must be on the team that signed him to the bad contract to be amnestied. Any trade voids that.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-18-2012, 11:28 PM

In reality, they didn't do it right. They tried to do it without burning it to the ground, and that never works. They should have torched it when they shipped out Chauncey. Instead, they tried to plug in Stuckey and signed two free agents that didn't fit their system at all in Gordon and Villanueva. Disaster ensued.

senorglory
06-18-2012, 11:34 PM

Does that include Danny manning?

ducks
06-18-2012, 11:35 PM
manu and splitter for pick
told you people

TDMVPDPOY
06-18-2012, 11:40 PM
this clown says SR, then links HOOPSHYPE? gtfo

sehui
06-19-2012, 12:14 AM
whatever the spurs do, i have faith in our front office.

Duncan2177
06-19-2012, 12:29 AM
this clown says SR, then links HOOPSHYPE? gtfo

Yup go look for yourself buddy http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/

mountainballer
06-19-2012, 01:55 AM
linking to SR twice does not exactly rise the credibility of the "source". a trade for #2 is total nonsense. end of story.
(some retards there propose Neal+Blair plus the rights for Lorbek and DeColo. oh well)

reports say, that most of the picks from teams that own 2 first rounders are on the market (likely it's the lower of the two picks). for the right price. this would be #10, #11, #16, #22, #24, #30

there are two realistic scenarios to get one of those picks.

A offer Leonard and you probably get #10 or #11
B offer Splitter and you probably get #16 or #22

scenario A does not happen.

scenario B isn't totally unrealistic, in their current situation Houston would do this trade. (maybe even for #14?)
Meyers will be gone at 16. we are talking Zeller or Moultrie in this area.

Duncan2177
06-19-2012, 02:48 AM
linking to SR twice does not exactly rise the credibility of the "source". a trade for #2 is total nonsense. end of story.
(some retards there propose Neal+Blair plus the rights for Lorbek and DeColo. oh well)

reports say, that most of the picks from teams that own 2 first rounders are on the market (likely it's the lower of the two picks). for the right price. this would be #10, #11, #16, #22, #24, #30

there are two realistic scenarios to get one of those picks.

A offer Leonard and you probably get #10 or #11
B offer Splitter and you probably get #16 or #22

scenario A does not happen.

scenario B isn't totally unrealistic, in their current situation Houston would do this trade. (maybe even for #14?)
Meyers will be gone at 16. we are talking Zeller or Moultrie in this area.
No it doesn't but it's fun to speculate sometimes if the rumor is true or not this is fun.

intlspurshk
06-19-2012, 04:32 AM
Lottery teams do not need Tony, who only have 2-3 good years left and will then decline. They can trade lottery pick for young stars like Rudy Gay, Stephen Curry, Rondo, etc. I laughed to death if anyone propose Manu + whoever can get a lottery pick in return. Manu is an old player with 1-2 years left and his value is all time low.

racm
06-19-2012, 05:41 AM
CIA Pop again tbh

Wild Cobra Kai
06-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Lottery teams do not need Tony, who only have 2-3 good years left and will then decline. They can trade lottery pick for young stars like Rudy Gay, Stephen Curry, Rondo, etc. I laughed to death if anyone propose Manu + whoever can get a lottery pick in return. Manu is an old player with 1-2 years left and his value is all time low.

All lottery teams are not alike. For instance, Portland has a nucleus in place already, and would probably LOVE Tony to plug right in and voila, they're back in the playoffs. I'm not advocating that, just saying that you're painting with too broad a brush.

I. Hustle
06-19-2012, 08:00 AM
You think Tony only has 2-3 good years left? That's dumb. He has already evolved from the player he was before and I see him continuing to evolve as he gets older.

Josepatches_
06-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Not speaking on anything else (right or wrong, personal feelings), trading TP for the 2nd pick in the draft would be good value obviously. I don't think TP's value is nearly that high.

Agree

cd98
06-19-2012, 10:45 AM
You think Tony only has 2-3 good years left? That's dumb. He has already evolved from the player he was before and I see him continuing to evolve as he gets older.

So much of what he does is dependent on speed. He'll lose some of that speed over the next few years (similar to Allen Iverson), then he won't be the same player. He might still be a good player, but not elite. He's not a Steve Nash jumpshooter or a Jason Kidd playmaker. Not saying that he won't be a solid player at 33 or 34, but why would someone with a no. 2 pick and a future that looks like a four year rebuilding project be interested in Tony Parker? And how hard is Tony Parker going to play for a team that won't have the talent to make the playoffs?

Tony has value to a team that needs a point guard to make the playoffs. Portland is a possibility. Or even Indiana (with its many, many assets). But not the Bobcats.

CGD
06-19-2012, 12:18 PM
I think TP is gone after next season when Manu, Jax, and possible TD are off the books. Spurs will do right by TP to give him a shot to compete for a title with another team, and the Spurs will unload the best asset they have. TP is awesome, but he will probably go the way of KJ with the Suns whose game was also predicated on speed.

ducks
06-19-2012, 01:51 PM
sr never was right on one not one thing

T Park
06-19-2012, 01:54 PM
I think TP is gone after next season when Manu, Jax, and possible TD are off the books. Spurs will do right by TP to give him a shot to compete for a title with another team, and the Spurs will unload the best asset they have. TP is awesome, but he will probably go the way of KJ with the Suns whose game was also predicated on speed.

Duncan is only gonna sign a one year contract?

dbestpro
06-19-2012, 02:05 PM
I could see Splitter moved so the Spurs can get Sullinger if he starts to fall due to his back issues.

SpursFaninMS
06-19-2012, 02:14 PM

???

Don't see many high draft picks like Robinson that have been busts.

Most of their players have the "great college player but don't translate to NBA stigma" and are drafted lower. Robinson isn't in that category.

Thomas82
06-19-2012, 03:13 PM
I could see Splitter moved so the Spurs can get Sullinger if he starts to fall due to his back issues.

I can see us getting Perry Jones before we get Sullinger. Besides, we need somebody taller than 6'9".

Duncan2177
06-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Bernard James?

SenorSpur
06-19-2012, 04:37 PM

The Spurs already have their version of Sulligner - his name is DeJuan Blair.

Why on earth would the Spurs need to invest in yet another undersized frontcourt player? This team needs size, length, toughness and athleticism in whatever big they get from this draft. Sullilnger does nothing to address any of those issues - for that matter neither does Blair.

therealtruth
06-19-2012, 05:55 PM

Why on earth would the Spurs need to invest in yet another undersized frontcourt player? This team needs size, length, toughness and athleticism in whatever big they get from this draft. Sullilnger does nothing to address any of those issues - for that matter neither does Blair.

I agree. Undersized bigs haven't worked so great for us lately.

AFBlue
06-19-2012, 07:17 PM

DeJuan Blair is a hustle guy with no real post game to speak of. Sullinger would be an offensive upgrade over any big not named Duncan. Having said that, I agree he doesn't solve the issue of lacking interior length, defense or athleticism. Ultimately I think the reason he won't be a target is because Lorbek brings what Sully would.

dunkman
06-19-2012, 07:38 PM
I doubt Leonard will get traded, he has huge upside. Pop hates Splitter, though. He may get lost, Blair may be moved too. Green isn't an FA, not sure what other younger players could be of interest for a trade scenario.

The Spurs could offer their pick and Blair to go few positions up, or the pick and Splitter to go +10 positions. While Ibaka was picked with a lower first rounder, its difficult to get an all-star pick with let's say a 15-th pick.

Parker could be moved for a better PG only, but there aren't many of them. The Celtics wanted to move Rondo, the Spurs wanted Paul, and the other PG's aren't worth the risk tbh. The Spurs could also trade Parker for an all-star big, in a scenario where the other team send an above average PG too.

SpursFaninMS
06-19-2012, 07:41 PM

How in the world do you say Sullinger is DeJuan Blair?

Sullinger is three inches taller and they have completely different skill sets.

I get some of your concerns with Sullinger, but the comparison to Blair? Not even close.

He may be the best option we can hope for, though. We are not climbing up to #2. After that, the rest of the bigs are underwhelming.

In terms of upside, I think Sullinger has more than any big outside of Davis and Robinson with the caution tag being his back.

baseline bum
06-19-2012, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the Spurs trade into the mid first round to pick up Perry Jones (I think he'd be an absolute steal here), but they don't have any expendable talent like Hill this year. His teammate Quincy Miller might be a good gamble too a little later in the first.

SenorSpur
06-19-2012, 07:57 PM
How in the world do you say Sullinger is DeJuan Blair?

Sullinger is three inches taller and they have completely different skill sets.

I get some of your concerns with Sullinger, but the comparison to Blair? Not even close.

He may be the best option we can hope for, though. We are not climbing up to #2. After that, the rest of the bigs are underwhelming.

In terms of upside, I think Sullinger has more than any big outside of Davis and Robinson with the caution tag being his back.

The height comparsion notwithstanding, both Blair and Sullinger are undersized bigs. THAT is the common thread. Be that as it may, Sullinger is somewhat of a tweener - not quick enough to play SF, not necessarily big strong enough to play PF. That is the rub. If the Spurs keep Diaw and bring over Lorbek, they will not have done enough to address their sheer lack of size, athleticism and toughness in the frontcourt.

I stand by my earlier point that Sullinger addresses NONE of what the Spurs are lacking in the frontcourt. The OKC and Memphis playoff series are still fresh in my mind.

I hope his back issues are nothing severe. Perhaps he'll find his niche with the right team, but the Spurs are not the right fit for him.

SpursFaninMS
06-19-2012, 08:00 PM
The guy I would want to see the Spurs draft is Arnett Moultrie. He is a natural scorer and a pretty darn good defender when he wants to be. Reminds me alot of Aldridge and his stats were comparable to his in college.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1182024-arnett-moultrie-highlights-analysis-and-pro-projections

I think he would groom nicely in the Spurs system.

Seen a lot of Moultrie....not sold on him at all.

His post game is underdeveloped. I won't see he can't do it, but he has a long way to go.

SpursFaninMS
06-19-2012, 08:19 PM
The height comparsion notwithstanding, both Blair and Sullinger are undersized bigs. THAT is the common thread. Be that as it may, Sullinger is somewhat of a tweener - not quick enough to play SF, not necessarily big strong enough to play PF. That is the rub. If the Spurs keep Diaw and bring over Lorbek, they will not have done enough to address their sheer lack of size, athleticism and toughness in the frontcourt.

I stand by my earlier point that Sullinger addresses NONE of what the Spurs are lacking in the frontcourt. The OKC and Memphis playoff series are still fresh in my mind.

I hope his back issues are nothing severe. Perhaps he'll find his niche with the right team, but the Spurs are not the right fit for him.

Yes, Sullinger is a tweener and undersized; but as I was saying, nowhere near the extent that Blair is. To compare: Sullinger is the same size as Z-Bo, one of the players we fear the most. Edit: Also, his wingspan is 7'1.

Defensive concerns: Do not dispute. He's got a lot to improve on, but he's still got three inches on Blair and is a physical.

Doesn't address what we are lacking? Not sure what you're seeing there.

--He's got a classic post game....one of the best we've seen from a college prospect in a long time. With Duncan's post game fading, we need this desperately.
--Physical player
--Tough rebounder
--Can step out and hit the jumper too

The OKC and Memphis losses fresh on your mind: Completely different things cost us each series. Though we can debate this for a long time, we can probably agree that OKC beat us outside of the paint and slowed down our offense due to us having zero ability to penetrate except for TP in a couple of games and Manu in a couple others. Memphis' bigs beat us up a couple of years.

I'm really interested to see what happens with Sully's back. If he can stay healthy, I guarantee this guy will be a force on offense. The post up player is a dying breed and because of this, fewer players know how to defend a back to the basket scorer. The guy's offense game is outstanding.

He's got flaws, for sure; but I would take him over wannabe SFs like Perry Jones or Moultrie in a heartbeat.

SenorSpur
06-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Yes, Sullinger is a tweener and undersized; but as I was saying, nowhere near the extent that Blair is. To compare: Sullinger is the same size as Z-Bo, one of the players we fear the most.

Defensive concerns: Do not dispute. He's got a lot to improve on, but he's still got three inches on Blair and is a physical.

Doesn't address what we are lacking? Not sure what you're seeing there.

--He's got a classic post game....one of the best we've seen from a college prospect in a long time. With Duncan's post game fading, we need this desperately.
--Physical player
--Tough rebounder
--Can step out and hit the jumper too

The OKC and Memphis losses fresh on your mind: Completely different things cost us each series. Though we can debate this for a long time, we can probably agree that OKC beat us outside of the paint and slowed down our offense due to us having zero ability to penetrate except for TP in a couple of games and Manu in a couple others. Memphis' bigs beat us up a couple of years.

I'm really interested to see what happens with Sully's back. If he can stay healthy, I guarantee this guy will be a force on offense. The post up player is a dying breed and because of this, fewer players know how to defend a back to the basket scorer. The guy's offense game is outstanding.

He's got flaws, for sure; but I would take him over wannabe SFs like Perry Jones or Moultrie in a heartbeat.

God yes! I would too. I've not watched a lot of Sullinger, but the times I've seen him, I wasn't blown away by his production. As a matter of fact, Robinson "ate his lunch" when they went head to head. I admit that I have some questions as to how his game will translate into the pros. He may do very well. I just don't want him with the Spurs.

The final point I'll make here is that at 36 years old, Duncan should not be forced to continue being the best shotblocker, rebounder and post defender on the Spurs. It's too much of a load for him. He needs serious help in those areas and there really isn't no one on the roster capable of helping him with the heavy lifting. Thus the need for more of an athletic, defensive-minded PF/C type, in the mode of a Bernard James, Robert Sacre, Henry Sims or Kyle O'Quinn.

The Spurs don't necessarily need more post offense. They will be much improved in that area with the likely addition of Lorbek. Instead, they are more desparate for help in the aforementioned areas where Duncan is declining. As such, the Spurs MUST get away from the undersized and underskilled bigs.

SpursFaninMS
06-19-2012, 08:48 PM
God yes! I would too. I've not watched a lot of Sullinger, but the times I've seen him, I wasn't blown away by his production. As a matter of fact, Robinson "ate his lunch" when they went head to head. I admit that I have some questions as to how his game will translate into the pros. He may do very well. I just don't want him with the Spurs.

The final point I'll make here is that at 36 years old, Duncan should not be forced to continue being the best shotblocker, rebounder and post defender on the Spurs. It's too much of a load for him. He needs serious help in those areas and there really isn't no one on the roster capable of helping him with the heavy lifting. Thus the need for more of an athletic, defensive-minded PF/C type, in the mode of a Bernard James, Robert Sacre, Henry Sims or Kyle O'Quinn.

The Spurs don't necessarily need more post offense. They will be much improved in that area with the likely addition of Lorbek. Instead, they are more desparate for help in the aforementioned areas where Duncan is declining. As such, the Spurs MUST get away from the undersized and underskilled bigs.

I don't necessarily disagree 100 percent with what you are saying. I guess my point of view on this is that I think there A LOT of different things we need. Our team needs a post scorer, size, someone to defend a 4, athleticism, ability to penetrate, and toughness. Basically, we could use everything outside of shooting. I feel like Sullinger definitely provides the post scoring, toughness, and is not woefully undersized. I've watched a lot of him and have been high on him for a long time. Robinson crushed him, no doubt; but do remember that Kansas keyed their defense on him when OSU's other big scorer ran into foul trouble. We will have to agree to disagree on him, though. I'm glad to see you can actually have a rational disagreement on this board.

By the way, glad someone isn't falling for the Perry Jones/Arnette Moultrie-type player that is fool's gold.

SenorSpur
06-19-2012, 09:33 PM

I don't necessarily disagree 100 percent with what you are saying. I guess my point of view on this is that I think there A LOT of different things we need. Our team needs a post scorer, size, someone to defend a 4, athleticism, ability to penetrate, and toughness. Basically, we could use everything outside of shooting. I feel like Sullinger definitely provides the post scoring, toughness, and is not woefully undersized. I've watched a lot of him and have been high on him for a long time. Robinson crushed him, no doubt; but do remember that Kansas keyed their defense on him when OSU's other big scorer ran into foul trouble. We will have to agree to disagree on him, though. I'm glad to see you can actually have a rational disagreement on this board.

By the way, glad someone isn't falling for the Perry Jones/Arnette Moultrie-type player that is fool's gold.

You're right. The Spurs do need a myriad of skill set enhancements along the frontline. It's very unlikely they can get all that with one player. After all, they don't have a number one overall pick and they're just no more Tim Duncan's out there.

I heard today that Sullinger's back issues could cause him to slide possibly into the second round. While I doubt that he'd slide that far, if the Spurs were to somehow be able to sneak into the middle of the round and get him, there's no way they could bring back Blair. Same for Lorbek. If he's joining the team next year, I don't think you can bring back Bonner. This is a team that doesn't need to carry players of similar skill sets.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think Sullinger is a bad player. I just think there are better options for what the Spurs need at this juncture - particularly the four I mentioned in my previous post.

For the record, you're right about Jones and Moultrie. Fool's gold of the highest order. Both masquerading as SF's in a PF's body.

therealtruth
06-19-2012, 10:18 PM
I am tired of losing in the playoffs because teams stop Parker.

Spursfan092120
06-19-2012, 11:28 PM
I am tired of losing in the playoffs because teams stop Parker.

So Tony's supposed to dominate every team and other people get away with disappearing...and it's all Tony's fault. Yeah..that makes sense.

SpursFaninMS
06-19-2012, 11:39 PM
So Tony's supposed to dominate every team and other people get away with disappearing...and it's all Tony's fault. Yeah..that makes sense.

Not all Tony's fault.....Matt Bonner's fault, too.

Vic Petro
06-20-2012, 12:46 AM
If he falls out of the top 10, Henson would be an interesting target. He's skinny as hell but he can rebound and he can help Timmy protect the rim.

therealtruth
06-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Not all Tony's fault.....Matt Bonner's fault, too.

TP is our MVP. The MVP has to step up.

racm
06-20-2012, 07:19 AM
If he falls out of the top 10, Henson would be an interesting target. He's skinny as hell but he can rebound and he can help Timmy protect the rim.

Only if the Bucks would accept a package of Blair/Bonner/Neal for the 12th pick. They need a defensive big to compliment their undersized scoring backcourt.

Andthentherewas21
06-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Only if the Bucks would accept a package of Blair/Bonner/Neal for the 12th pick. They need a defensive big to compliment their undersized scoring backcourt.

If they need a defensive big, why are the taking Blair/Bonner/Neal whose combined defense could maybe stop a JV girls HS basketball team?