PDA

View Full Version : 2 Rules I'd Like To See Changed.

PM5K
06-18-2012, 07:21 PM
The first, is when an offensive player intentionally stops when a defender is behind him in order to draw a foul. It does from time to time happen unintentionally, so I would suggest that this not be called in the back court, when it happens in the back court it's virtually always intentional, however when it happens in the front court it's more likely to be unintentional.

The other is related to offensive fouls (charging). If a player take a charge while the offensive player is still on the floor that is fine, but to get one when the player has already released his shot and is coming back down from jumping, I don't think that should be an offensive foul.

Just my .02.

stretch
06-18-2012, 07:53 PM
:toast

i agree 100%

DMC
06-18-2012, 09:23 PM
The shot clock should start when the ball hits the floor or is touched on the inbounds, since that team already had possession of the ball.

It doesn't make sense to have game clock but no shot clock running.

dav4463
06-18-2012, 11:29 PM
The first, is when an offensive player intentionally stops when a defender is behind him in order to draw a foul. It does from time to time happen unintentionally, so I would suggest that this not be called in the back court, when it happens in the back court it's virtually always intentional, however when it happens in the front court it's more likely to be unintentional.

The other is related to offensive fouls (charging). If a player take a charge while the offensive player is still on the floor that is fine, but to get one when the player has already released his shot and is coming back down from jumping, I don't think that should be an offensive foul.

Just my .02.

You would have too many guys like Blake Griffin who would just jump forward at full speed, release the ball, and then crash down on whoever is there....too many injury chances....has to be an offensive foul or if player is in air before defense gets there...a block.

JamStone
06-19-2012, 09:22 AM
They should just get rid of the charge half circle. Either a player is set to take the charge or he's not. Having a fraction of an inch of the bottom heel on the half circle doesn't change that. The charge/block call is tough enough as it is without the refs having to also take a look at the defender's feet.

I'd like to see the officials actually enforce traveling and palming the ball on star players.

DMC
06-19-2012, 11:00 AM
I hate the charge call. You either defend the paint or you don't. The 3pt line should be the restricted area tbh.

mercos
06-19-2012, 03:01 PM
I agree with both changes. In general, I don't like how the game has become so fixated on drawing fouls. Players develop moves now specifically designed to draw fouls. I'm not a fan of watching a free throw shooting contest. Make them play the game.

silverblk mystix
06-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Put rules in that would make it harder to fix games.

#1) Give each coach 3 challenges -per half. Any challenge has to be reviewed immediately and a separate panel of refs decide the challenge. (Some will say this will slow the game--but it is already a free throw contest whenever you allow refs to dictate.)
These challenges can be reviewed at any time---not just these bullshit rules like-if it was already rules a 3 -then you can't review blah-blah...they can be reviewed if a coach challenges-period.

#2) Get rid of the inner circle near the basket---if it is a charge- it is a charge regardless of where the feet are.

#3) Widen the court by 3 feet on either side and extend the 3 point line by 3 feet all around.

tesseractive
06-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Give each coach 3 challenges

:vomit:

clambake
06-19-2012, 03:21 PM
i would like to see them change the drug rules for players with killer talent.

call it the roy tarpley exclusion.

Venti Quattro
06-19-2012, 03:26 PM
They should just get rid of the charge half circle.
I like the half-circle. It serves as some reference point and the court is more beautiful with it.

DMC
06-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Put rules in that would make it harder to fix games.

#1) Give each coach 3 challenges -per half. Any challenge has to be reviewed immediately and a separate panel of refs decide the challenge. (Some will say this will slow the game--but it is already a free throw contest whenever you allow refs to dictate.)
These challenges can be reviewed at any time---not just these bullshit rules like-if it was already rules a 3 -then you can't review blah-blah...they can be reviewed if a coach challenges-period.

#2) Get rid of the inner circle near the basket---if it is a charge- it is a charge regardless of where the feet are.

#3) Widen the court by 3 feet on either side and extend the 3 point line by 3 feet all around.

The separate panel of refs cannot be bought out, great idea.

If you remove the allure of the 3, you clog the lane and the game slows to a halt. Don't need a wider floor if you are going to clog the lane anyhow.

silverblk mystix
06-19-2012, 04:57 PM
The separate panel of refs cannot be bought out, great idea.

If you remove the allure of the 3, you clog the lane and the game slows to a halt. Don't need a wider floor if you are going to clog the lane anyhow.

These challenges will also be watched by the viewing audience also.

In other words -Stern will have to explain why a call was made one way- when the whole world saw it on replays over and over.

You won't remove the allure of the 3- you will only make it more of a challenge. Only really good shooters will attempt them. The non-shooters will actually learn basketball basics.

JamStone
06-19-2012, 05:13 PM

Nearly impossible considering the ramifications of doing that. You widen the court by 3 feet, you're talking at least one row of premium court side seats away and the revenue they bring 41 games a year. Those seats are part of how each team calculate revenue and expenses per season. And then you're talking about teams/owners massively rearranging their financial outlook for each season and/or talking about building new stadiums to accommodate the court dimension changes.

Budkin
06-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Add a 4 pt line in honor of 'Toine.

Seventyniner
06-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Add a 4 pt line in honor of 'Toine.

Make halfcourt the 4-point line, and inside the opponent's 3-point line the 5-point zone. The opponent's paint is the 6-point zone. Suddenly, teams that are slightly ahead late in games have to cover the entire floor. It also allows players an excuse to chuck those shots up in practice all day, cause they do it anyway.