PDA

View Full Version : Fracking

Pages : [1] 2 3

mavs>spurs
06-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Yikes. Holyyyy shit I just made a major connection. So for about 2 years now, I have been having heart palpitations and bad headaches which i thought were tension headaches. Around the time that all this fracking in the article started happening. I never made the connection that the foul, sewage like smell i would smell if I left the house at night could be from fracking. I always wondered what that was and never knew it until reading this article.

Pisses me off how it's legal for them to get away with this shit and the burden of proof is on the citizen. This crap has been causing my entire family health problems, mostly just mild headaches and bad sinus trouble but occasionally heart palpitations. Anyone else live by any of this?

http://www.earthworksaction.org/media/detail/vapors_sicken_arlington

Residents of several Arlington neighborhoods where Chesapeake Energy is drilling for natural gas claim the vapor clouds released by certain stages of the operations are making them sick — and they’re challenging the company to allow outside monitoring of the emissions.

Numerous people living in the Fish Creek, Norwood, Oaks, and Interlochen neighborhoods say they are getting nosebleeds, headaches, and other ailments when Chesapeake conducts fracking: shooting millions of gallons of chemical-laced water deep into underground shale formations to release trapped natural gas.

Residents’ problems, they say, occur during the flowback stage of fracking, a several-days-long process when the extremely salty and toxic liquid returns to the surface. Some residents have teamed up with the Texas Oil and Gas Accountability Project, which is part of the Earthworks environmental group, an organization dedicated to protecting communities from the effects of irresponsible mineral and energy development. The residents said Chesapeake has long ignored their good-faith pleas to control the emissions.

Chesapeake spokespersons say the vapor clouds are clean steam from hot water.

The neighbors, according to a press release, are specifically asking Chesapeake to “provide independent verification of the company’s claim that fumes released from Chesapeake facilities ... were simply steam — and therefore could not have caused harm to area residents.”

Jane Lynn reported suffering heart palpitations a few minutes after a vapor cloud enveloped her in her Fish Creek neighborhood. “Last December they were flowing back a well in my neighborhood, so I decided to take pictures of the escaping vapor,” Lynn said. “I was literally in the vapor cloud, and the odor was overwhelmingly strong. Within minutes there was tightness in my chest. Later that day I began getting heart palpitations — which I’ve only gotten previously when exposed to gas escaping from a well site.”

The previous December, while Chesapeake was flowing back another nearby well, both Lynn’s husband and a neighbor’s son got nosebleeds, she said, “and in the 25 years I’ve known my husband, he’d never had a nosebleed before.”

Nosebleeds and heart palpitations, as well as nausea and headaches, are common around gas drilling operations (“Sacrificed to Shale,” Fort Worth Weekly, Oct. 14, 2009).

Arlington resident Ranjana Bhandari said she was stuck at a traffic light when fumes from a nearby well caused her face and sinuses to begin hurting and gave her son a headache. “The symptoms lasted for hours and then returned when I was stuck at a railway crossing in the vicinity a few days later,” she said.

Jean Stephens had walked out of her Design Center store on South Bowen Road in Arlington and was overcome with nausea and an inability to breathe when a vapor cloud blew through her parking lot. “It was just a severely nauseating foul odor,” she said. “I’d never smelled it before. I was so sick that I didn’t even think to call the fire department for about 20 minutes. And by the time they came a few minutes later, it was largely dissipated. It just came and went.”

Chesapeake did not respond to requests for comment from Fort Worth Weekly. However, according to the press release, Julie Wilson, Chesapeake’s vice-president for urban development, did respond to public inquiries about the fumes.

In an e-mail to one Arlington resident posted on anti-drilling activist Kim Feil’s website (Barnettshalehell.wordpress.com), Wilson noted, “Our staff has investigated your concern and is happy to report there are no issues. The ‘vapor’ you see ... is steam from hot water. We are in the period called ‘flowback,’ when water from deep within the earth is returning to the surface and being temporarily stored in the on-site tanks until it is cool enough to be disposed of. The water is in excess of 160 degrees, which causes the steam. Despite the alarming stories that are unfortunately sometimes circulated, we can assure you there are no harmful emissions to worry about.”

She additionally noted that Chesapeake has workers onsite throughout the flowback operation “to assure that all is well.”

Sharon Wilson (no relation), who runs her own Barnett Shale blog, Bluedaze: Drilling Reform, and is an organizer with Earthworks’ Texas OGAP, said Chesapeake’s claims that the sickening vapor is just steam are nonsense. “Some of the worst levels of toxic chemicals in the air have been recorded when there is fracking and flowback,” she said. “So for Chesapeake to claim that it’s just clean steam is irresponsible at the very least. People boil water all the time and don’t get sick.”

Sharon Wilson, a longtime advocate for responsible drilling, said she just wants it done in a way that doesn’t harm people. “If you can’t do that, then you shouldn’t be allowed to drill near residential neighborhoods,” she said. “This is an industry that came up with some amazing technology. Hydraulic fracturing is truly amazing. But ... the good ideas can’t just stop with getting the gas out of the ground.”

Asked why those being affected don’t just have their own testing done rather than challenging Chesapeake to do it, Sharon Wilson said, “It’s expensive ... and the burden of proof shouldn’t be on the public. It’s Chesapeake’s responsibility to prove their wells are not making people sick. But even if these people did have an outside company brought in, well, remember what happened when Calvin Tillman, the former mayor of DISH, Texas, did that? The gas companies went after the company doing the testing, accusing them of shoddy work. They tried to destroy that company’s reputation. So, yes, we could do fence-line testing, but the gas company probably wouldn’t take it seriously.”

Sharon Wilson is also upset with Arlington officials, who, she said, are pretending that no one is getting ill, while she speaks daily with people who claim they were affected by the vapor clouds. “The officials basically ignore their constituents on this issue, and I think [constituents will] find out that there are some unusual alliances being made and that it really isn’t in their best interests to just ignore the situation,” she said.

Jim Parajon, director of planning and development for Arlington, disagrees. “We have not ignored any complaints or requests by the citizens of Arlington with regards to ... gas drilling odors,” he said. “In the case of Ms. Lynn, for instance, we’ve followed up on several of her complaints. We’ve had the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and our own fire department out to those sites where she says there is a heavy chemical odor. Unfortunately, we’re not finding the same things ... . On different occasions neither the fire department nor TCEQ could find any noticeable odors at [those] sites.”

Lynn sees it differently. “I called the fire department on two occasions, and I called TCEQ,” she said. After one of those visits, she said, “a fireman came to my home and said I was absolutely right. The two words he used to describe the odor were ‘chemical’ and ‘pungent.’ ”

Lynn said that since she’s started her blog (fishcreekmonitor.blogspot.com) in early February, she’s heard from many people who say they’ve gotten ill from nearby drilling. “My kids are wondering what happened to their mother,” she said. “What happened was gas drilling in Arlington.”

Sharon Wilson thinks the issue should have been taken care of long ago. “If they’re smart enough to develop horizontal hydro-fracking,” she said, “they’re smart enough to come up with a way to do it that does no harm.”

Neither she nor Lynn thinks Chesapeake will agree to voluntary monitoring. “They know they’re poisoning people,” Lynn said. “And they don’t care. So why should they allow an outside party to verify what we all know, when they have everything to lose if they do?”

SnakeBoy
06-18-2012, 11:40 PM
During fall and winter I get sinus problems and headaches. That's also the time of year the cold fronts are bringing Arlington air south towards San Antonio. That must be the cause, damn those frackers!

mavs>spurs
06-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Symptoms are year round for us, I never used to get headaches in my life until 2 years ago. That strong sewage smell HAD to be the fracking. I never thought of it until I read the article but that distinctive smell popped right into my head as I was reading. I remember calling my parents and asking them if they could smell anything that I thought one of the rigs were leaking. I didn't know what fracking was back then. PS I have a bad headache right now, per the usual.

boutons_deux
06-19-2012, 05:19 AM
RickyBobby's apolitical, Human-American-loving TCEQ, a David immune to regulatory capture by UCA Goliath, is going to use TX taxpayers $Ms at going after frackers for screwing up land, air, water, people?

Halberto
06-19-2012, 06:28 AM
the fracking hysteria continues... Why aren't the employees of these fracking companies getting sick from the "fumes"? I guess everyone near these fracksites should be 100% healthy all the time.

Drachen
06-19-2012, 08:20 AM
the fracking hysteria continues... Why aren't the employees of these fracking companies getting sick from the "fumes"? I guess everyone near these fracksites should be 100% healthy all the time.

I am not trying to make an arguement one way or another on the OP, but just suggesting a situation where this may be possible. It may be due to methane in the water and perhaps the workers (many of which live in hotels quite a bit away from the worksites) don't get any, or as much exposure to the water which is being polluted with the methane.

(yes, I know OP was talking about fumes, I am just spitballing here)

boutons_deux
06-19-2012, 08:23 AM

I KNOW that NOBODY should be sickened EVER by fracking fumes, liquids, sand (silicosis).

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2012, 10:12 AM
That smell is probably just sulphur dioxide in low concentrations...It's fairly common in drilling processes. Smells like sewage/rotten eggs?

Yonivore
06-19-2012, 10:17 AM
That smell is probably just sulphur dioxide in low concentrations...It's fairly common in drilling processes. Smells like sewage/rotten eggs?
Smells like Luling has for as long as I can remember, I imagine.

baseline bum
06-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Smells like Luling has for as long as I can remember, I imagine.

Their BBQ is worth putting up with the smell in the air tbh.

boutons_deux
06-19-2012, 11:58 AM
The fracking land leasing companies have clauses in their contracts with landowners that cancel all lease payments if the landowner goes public with pollution or other whines.

TeyshaBlue
06-19-2012, 12:09 PM
's funny. My contract has no language at all like that.:wtf

TeyshaBlue
06-19-2012, 12:10 PM
I was actually looking specifically for something like that before I signed it....this was back before the frac-outrage was upon us which might explain the lack of said language.

Winehole23
06-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Their BBQ is worth putting up with the smell in the air tbh.:tu

(City Market)

leemajors
06-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Their BBQ is worth putting up with the smell in the air tbh.

that and you just don't notice after 10 mins.

baseline bum
06-19-2012, 01:34 PM
:tu

(City Market)

Easily my favorite restaurant in the state.

mavs>spurs
06-19-2012, 03:17 PM

Huh? No way dude, my dad has been having really bad sinus problems for a while and our doctor specifically told him that it was probably the fracking and that it was causing a lot of people around here health problems. He said that it was accepted amongst doctors but not yet challenged or proven by studies that the fracking caused health problems and that technically he really wasn't supposed to even be telling it to his patients.

mavs>spurs
06-19-2012, 03:19 PM

yes that was exactly it..stunk like SHIT

Wild Cobra
06-19-2012, 03:29 PM
r7KcpgQKo2I

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2012, 04:07 PM
yes that was exactly it..stunk like SHIT

You know that shit causes testicular cancer in young males, right? You should get checked out.

mouse
06-19-2012, 05:09 PM
I will wait for Agloco to explain how Fracking is not only good for the soil it promotes healthy gums.

mavs>spurs
06-19-2012, 05:10 PM
leave it to spurstalk to make immature smug comments about REAL issues

some of you love the tyranny and the poison, you actually like being raped

bunch of sexual deviants

Das Texan
06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
What? a lease? bonus money?

where the fuck do I sign?????

what? you want to actually fucking drill on this?

Fuck you bitches.

CosmicCowboy
06-20-2012, 08:32 AM
What? a lease? bonus money?

where the fuck do I sign?????

what? you want to actually fucking drill on this?

Fuck you bitches.

A friend of mine that has a ranch in the wet part of the eagleford shale got $3000 an acre just for the signing/exploration rights.

He paid $2600 an acre for the ranch just 4 years ago. Sweet deal.

boutons_deux
06-20-2012, 09:56 AM
's funny. My contract has no language at all like that.:wtf

google "fracking leases gag clauses", even doctors are being gagged.

"What do they have to hide"

coyotes_geek
06-20-2012, 10:13 AM
google "fracking leases gag clauses", even doctors are being gagged.

"What do they have to hide"

I did (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&rlz=1R2ADRA_enUS458&q=fracking+leases+gag+clauses&sa=X&ei=6OfhT4CxOuL00gGh__z_Aw&ved=0CAUQgwM&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=1f298ac0ad04a910&biw=1680&bih=869). Through the first 10 pages I see zero links about leases including gag orders. Feel free to link one if I've missed it.

Halberto
06-20-2012, 10:58 AM
That's because the oil companies paid google off. -boutons

Halberto
06-20-2012, 11:03 AM
I KNOW that NOBODY should be sickened EVER by fracking fumes, liquids, sand (silicosis).

I agree. Let's just fire all the people these companies hire and ignore a valuable resource that could boost our economy during a rough patch so that people can stop getting sinus infections.

boutons_deux
06-20-2012, 11:03 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/ohio-drilling-regulations-doctors_n_1538982.html

boutons_deux
06-20-2012, 11:04 AM
This is the UCA, profits before people's health and lives.

100 kids killed working on farms every year, but Repugs don't want them regulated.

Halberto
06-20-2012, 11:05 AM
lol your source has "GREEN" all over it's page. very unbiased.

CosmicCowboy
06-20-2012, 11:07 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/ohio-drilling-regulations-doctors_n_1538982.html

uhhh....so?

coyotes_geek
06-20-2012, 11:16 AM

Not a story about gag orders being included in leases. Care to try again? Or would it be easier to just admit that you're full of shit?

boutons_deux
06-20-2012, 11:18 AM
lol your source has "GREEN" all over it's page. very unbiased.

next time I'll get links to API or Fox Repug Propaganda network

TeyshaBlue
06-20-2012, 11:26 AM
maybe links relative to your lease language gagging claim would be a good start.

boutons_deux
06-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Pennsylvania Doctors Worry Over Fracking 'Gag Rule'

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/17/152268501/pennsylvania-doctors-worry-over-fracking-gag-rule

I can't find the article that said fracking lease payments were voided or reduced if a landowner filed complaints.

It's very clear, going back to dickhead exempting fracking from the Clean Water Act, that the fracking industry wants everything about their shitty business to remain secret, gagging whomever they can.

TeyshaBlue
06-20-2012, 11:50 AM
lol @ very clear. And you're wrong about the CWA, again.

http://water.epa.gov/type/groundwater/uic/class2/hydraulicfracturing/wells_hydroreg.cfm

lol.

TeyshaBlue
06-20-2012, 11:51 AM
double lol

http://www.fairwarning.org/2011/10/fracking-contractor-pleads-guilty-to-violating-clean-water-act/

TeyshaBlue
06-20-2012, 11:53 AM
You sorta have a case, boutons, if you can just manage to put it together correctly.

coyotes_geek
06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
I can't find the article that said fracking lease payments were voided or reduced if a landowner filed complaints.

Finding something that doesn't exist can be tough.

TeyshaBlue
06-20-2012, 11:57 AM

I would recommend thinkprogress.borg. They're pretty good at that. Maybe Fox News would suffice in a pinch.

coyotes_geek
06-20-2012, 11:58 AM
I would recommend thinkprogress.borg. They're pretty good at that. Maybe Fox News would suffice in a pinch.

touche'

:toast

boutons_deux
06-20-2012, 01:13 PM

Prove leases that penalizes landowners who file complaints, talk DON'T EXIST

TeyshaBlue
06-20-2012, 01:15 PM
:lol @ goal post move
:lol @ failspin
:lol @ proving a negative
:lol @ this thread

coyotes_geek
06-20-2012, 01:33 PM

:rollin

You're not very bright. You're also a liar.

mavs>spurs
06-20-2012, 02:09 PM
you guys giving boutons shit are the wrong ones..my doctor said the exact same thing boutons is trying to tell you guys. he said that the fracking was the cause of my dads allergy problems and that he technically was not supposed to even be telling him that. said it with contempt too, he obviously doesn't like or agree with following that rule.

TeyshaBlue
06-20-2012, 02:12 PM
you guys giving boutons shit are the wrong ones..my doctor said the exact same thing boutons is trying to tell you guys. he said that the fracking was the cause of my dads allergy problems and that he technically was not supposed to even be telling him that. said it with contempt too, he obviously doesn't like or agree with following that rule.

Lrn2read, UTA.

boutons made a claim that was incorrect. He stupidly doubled down on it. He got his ass handed to him.

Nobody is dismissing what your family doctor said one summer at Band Camp. http://homerecording.com/bbs/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

mavs>spurs
06-20-2012, 02:28 PM
regardless, boutons is right there is a gag order on doctors because a doctor told me

TeyshaBlue
06-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Once again, nobody is disputing that. Seriously. Get a grownup to read this thread to you.:rollin

cantthinkofanything
06-20-2012, 02:45 PM
regardless, boutons is right there is a gag order on doctors because a doctor told me

Is this the same doctor that convinced you to start your war on circumcision?

coyotes_geek
06-20-2012, 03:12 PM

Curious how you and your doctor know about this gag order on Texas doctors yet nothing shows up on an internet search. Given all the buzz about fracking and the abundance of environmentally concerned citizens who dislike a) Texas and b) the oil & gas industry I would have thought that someone out there would have been able to sniff this out. Must be one of those double secret probation type gag orders.

mavs>spurs
06-20-2012, 03:44 PM
because doctors aren't going to risk shit to go on the record. if they know they aren't supposed to do something, then they won't shit outside of a few angry rants to patients

cantthinkofanything
06-20-2012, 04:11 PM
because doctors aren't going to risk shit to go on the record. if they know they aren't supposed to do something, then they won't shit outside of a few angry rants to patients

Shit, and don't forget that they are part of the conspiracy to make us continue to take Big Pharma's poisons.

mavs>spurs
06-20-2012, 04:43 PM
:lol you really think doctors want you to be healthy bro? there's no money in that. everything they give you just fixes one thing at the expense of something else so you come right back

it's why there isn't a cancer cure yet, there's money in treatment not in a cure

TeyshaBlue
06-20-2012, 04:53 PM
...and the wheels come completely off.

cantthinkofanything
06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
:lol you really think doctors want you to be healthy bro? there's no money in that. everything they give you just fixes one thing at the expense of something else so you come right back

it's why there isn't a cancer cure yet, there's money in treatment not in a cure

No arguments here aside from I think there are still plenty of docs who do care about the patient.

Big Pharma would like nothing more than to create laws regulating and restricting natural treatments.

CosmicCowboy
06-20-2012, 04:56 PM

http://xtremehockey.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/wheels_off.jpg

SnakeBoy
06-20-2012, 06:22 PM

:lol this thread delivers.

Halberto
06-20-2012, 06:47 PM

Is your doctor a Geologist? Is boutons? No, but I am (I'm actually typing this from a wellsite right now). Do they understand the fracking process? Probably not, but I do. Your doctor knows how to diagnose your symptoms, but he doesn't know what he's talking about with fracking. There are a lot of people that sit within 100 feet of the well for hours on end. Wouldn't all these people be suffering immensely from such a direct exposure? If it were true the environmentalists would have been on it immediately. Environmentalists have been successful in creating a terrible distortion of fracking, they know people will just take their word for it without full investigation. They go to disgusting measures to make it happen.

mouse
06-21-2012, 07:47 AM
:lol this thread delivers.

I hope next time you contribute esse!

:toast

boutons_deux
06-21-2012, 08:53 AM
"Environmentalists have been successful in creating a terrible distortion of fracking"

You Lie

Where are the distortions?

why did dickhead EXEMPT specifically (Halliburton's) fracking from EPA/Clean Water act?

Das Texan
06-21-2012, 09:11 AM
If there is gag order language in a fucking oil and gas lease then its a custom one.

The Producers 88, aka the most common form out there contains no such language.

Until this is proven mavs>spurs and all others making this claim are full of shit, or believing doctors who are even more full of shit.

The oil and gas industry does some things in a shady manner, I'll be the first to admit that, their education of the public recently over what exactly fracking is and what goes into the process is a major point of contention. While not required to disclose whats in the fluids that are used in the process, they probably should, but will probably not do so until the government regulations force them to do so. Go cry to Congress over this big secret, they are the ones who allow the companies to not disclose the info; they disclose whatever the government tells them to do.

But as far as fucking over landowners, they actually generally go above and beyond in working with landowners, especially when it comes to surface damages; the ones you hear about are by and large those that simply want to cause trouble.

Halberto
06-21-2012, 09:24 AM
"Environmentalists have been successful in creating a terrible distortion of fracking"

You Lie

why did dickhead EXEMPT specifically (Halliburton's) fracking from EPA/Clean Water act?

In New York there was heavy propaganda to stop fracking in the Marcellus shale. An example of their pitiful mind games was to coin the term "drive-bys" for the traffic 18-wheelers in residential areas. Seriously? What a low move. It worked though, the papers started using the term.

Boutons, you are the liberal version of CC and WC so I won't even attempt to debate with you. Bottom line is YOU don't know what you're talking about and refuse to listen to those who do.

CosmicCowboy
06-21-2012, 09:34 AM
In New York there was heavy propaganda to stop fracking in the Marcellus shale. An example of their pitiful mind games was to coin the term "drive-bys" for the traffic 18-wheelers in residential areas. Seriously? What a low move. It worked though, the papers started using the term.

Boutons, you are the liberal version of CC and WC so I won't even attempt to debate with you. Bottom line is YOU don't know what you're talking about and refuse to listen to those who do.

I resent that comment on several levels.

Goran Dragic
06-21-2012, 09:40 AM
yeah CC isn't even close to WC as a right wing nut. His views are pretty sensible for the most part and he's independent on a lot of issues. I'd vote for someone with similar views to CC, no way I'd ever vote for someone with the views if WC :lol

TeyshaBlue
06-21-2012, 09:42 AM

You Lie

He didn't. Again. :facepalm

boutons_deux
06-21-2012, 09:50 AM

Like San Antonio, NYC takes its water out of the ground direct to the distribution system.

If fracking fucked up that NY aquifer, do you really think the frackers would pays $10Bs to build and maintain the now-non-existent NYC water treatment plants?

Better safe than sorry, esp since the perps would get escape liability.

with assholes like you, it's let the corps do whatever the fuck they want to do, and then let's see if Human-Americans, their land, water, air, health is fucked up.

Halberto
06-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Like San Antonio, NYC takes its water out of the ground direct to the distribution system.

If fracking fucked up that NY aquifer, do you really think the frackers would pays $10Bs to build and maintain the now-non-existent NYC water treatment plants?

Better safe than sorry, esp since the perps would get escape liability.

with assholes like you, it's let the corps do whatever the fuck they want to do, and then let's see if Human-Americans, their land, water, air, health is fucked up.

:lol This is what I'm talking about. Any Geologist will tell you that most major aquifers exist ~100ft down, in some extreme cases ~700 ft.That leaves literally more than a mile of sedimentary stratigraphy between the targeted formation and the aquifer above. Did you catch that? Are you even reading? Probably not. The hydraulic fractures typically reach up to 100 ft vertically and remain in the formation. Simply put, it's virtually impossible for those fractures to make their way up all the way into the ground water. When you consider the differing rigidness of superimposed rock lithologies, their porosity and permeability.... absolutely no way do the cracks or fluids make their way up there.

But that's not what you want to hear. Hopefully others will read this and understand fracking a little better.

boutons_deux
06-21-2012, 10:14 AM
what goes in the hole is not the only source of pollution, dumbfuck

the waste water comes back up full of all kinds of shit that went down and stuff that got picked up down there. MILLIONS of gallons PER WELL. And silicois is also a risk since sand goes down and up, in areas where wind-blown sand doesn't exist.

TeyshaBlue
06-21-2012, 10:19 AM
lol. You realize the well bores are cased before fracking, right. Dumbfuck.http://homerecording.com/bbs/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

Like I said in page two, if you'd pull your head out of your thinkprogess ass, you could almost make a case. But you can't be bothered to commit to rational thought and actual research.

TeyshaBlue
06-21-2012, 10:19 AM
google "frac tank", bot.

boutons_deux
06-21-2012, 10:20 AM
what does casing have to do with fracking fluid once it get out of the lower end of the casing and then comes back up and OUT of the casing?

TeyshaBlue
06-21-2012, 10:22 AM
what does casing have to do with fracking fluid once it get out of the lower end of the casing and then comes back up and OUT of the casing?

Make the case for this. Maybe a cite or two?

coyotes_geek
06-21-2012, 10:28 AM
lol boutons

TeyshaBlue
06-21-2012, 10:31 AM

If you're talking about recovering the frac fluid/slurry, generally you run that into a frac tank. If not a tank, companies used to run it back into a lined receiving "pond" and then pump it to a tank. I don't think they do that much anymore. Cheaper to just rent a tank.

TeyshaBlue
06-21-2012, 10:31 AM
<------Used to own a frac tank company in West Texas

TeyshaBlue
06-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Still in business apparently.

http://www.majon.com/local/oil-and-gas-field-services/texas/snyder/sunrise-frac-tanks

TeyshaBlue
06-21-2012, 10:38 AM
*Brush with fame post*

I bought the company from Barry Tubb (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0875613/)

Halberto
06-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Oh, the fluid just has to pass through sides of thick steel pipes after the cement.

cantthinkofanything
06-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Oh, the fluid just has to pass through sides of thick steel pipes after the cement.

I'm sure Boutons is referring to when you drill a well and then the oil shoots out of the ground like a geyser and all the oil men dance around under the rig. Now that corporate non-humans have introduced frac fluid into the mix...well...that's going all over the place too.

CosmicCowboy
06-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Heres a picture of frac fluid being spilled that Croutons got from thinkprogress.

http://www.rockcitynews.com/photos5b/antibushwar4/images/gusher-gif.gif

cantthinkofanything
06-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Heres a picture of frac fluid being spilled that Croutons got from thinkprogress.

http://www.rockcitynews.com/photos5b/antibushwar4/images/gusher-gif.gif

Yes. This is what I was talking about. And with today's technology, it shoots even harder and further. Sometimes, far enough to be absorbed into the atmosphere. Then it comes down with the rain and eventually makes it's way into the above ground water supplies.

coyotes_geek
06-21-2012, 10:57 AM
I also hear that oil companies kill baby ducklings to use their feathers in fracking fluids. They're so mean and evil.

CosmicCowboy
06-21-2012, 10:58 AM
I also hear that oil companies kill baby ducklings to use their feathers in fracking fluids. They're so mean and evil.

little puppies too!

ElNono
06-21-2012, 01:50 PM

How come they didn't get to ducks yet? :lol

coyotes_geek
06-21-2012, 02:05 PM
How come they didn't get to ducks yet? :lol

:lol

Manu put in a good word for him.

TeyshaBlue
06-21-2012, 02:17 PM

Manu put in a good word for him.

:lol:lol

mavs>spurs
06-21-2012, 03:11 PM
well, we will find out in about a year

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-30/fracking-health-challenges-to-be-examined-by-u-s-advisers-1-.html

boutons_deux
06-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Injection Wells: The Poison Beneath Us

http://www.propublica.org/images/ngen/gypsy_big_image/well-062012.png

Over the past several decades, U.S. industries have injected more than 30 trillion gallons of toxic liquid deep into the earth, using broad expanses of the nation's geology as an invisible dumping ground.

No company would be allowed to pour such dangerous chemicals into the rivers or onto the soil. But until recently, scientists and environmental officials have assumed that deep layers of rock beneath the earth would safely entomb the waste for millennia.

There are growing signs they were mistaken.

Records from disparate corners of the United States show that wells drilled to bury this waste deep beneath the ground have repeatedly leaked, sending dangerous chemicals and waste gurgling to the surface or, on occasion, seeping into shallow aquifers that store a significant portion of the nation's drinking water.

In 2010, contaminants from such a well bubbled up in a west Los Angeles dog park. Within the past three years, similar fountains of oil and gas drilling waste have appeared in Oklahoma and Louisiana. In South Florida, 20 of the nation's most stringently regulated disposal wells failed in the early 1990s, releasing partly treated sewage into aquifers that may one day be needed to supply Miami's drinking water.

There are more than 680,000 underground waste and injection wells nationwide, more than 150,000 of which shoot industrial fluids thousands of feet below the surface. Scientists and federal regulators acknowledge they do not know how many of the sites are leaking.

Federal officials and many geologists insist that the risks posed by all this dumping are minimal. Accidents are uncommon, they say, and groundwater reserves — from which most Americans get their drinking water — remain safe and far exceed any plausible threat posed by injecting toxic chemicals into the ground.

But in interviews, several key experts acknowledged that the idea that injection is safe rests on science that has not kept pace with reality, and on oversight that doesn't always work.

http://www.propublica.org/article/injection-wells-the-poison-beneath-us

The USA: UCA's SuperFund Site, from sea to shining sea. :lol

TeyshaBlue
06-21-2012, 04:11 PM
This is not fracking.

lol deflection

boutons_deux
06-21-2012, 04:23 PM
GFY

Injecting shit into wells and hoping it stays down there is exactly what fracking is.

boutons_deux
06-21-2012, 04:23 PM
GFY

Injecting shit into wells and hoping it stays down there is exactly what fracking is.

CosmicCowboy
06-21-2012, 04:24 PM
GFY

:lmao

coyotes_geek
06-21-2012, 04:25 PM
This thread isn't going too well for boutons.

boutons_deux
06-21-2012, 04:26 PM
in your opinion

TeyshaBlue
GFY

Um. No. You still have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Best stay in your little VRWC thread where you're safe. You're getting bitch-slapped to oblivion in this thread.:lmao:lmao

coyotes_geek
in your opinion

Not just mine.

TeyshaBlue
06-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Again...google "Frac Tanks".http://homerecording.com/bbs/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

coyotes_geek
06-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Seriously boo, at this point all you're doing is proving that you really don't know anything about fracking other than that your eco-bot programmers instructed you to be against it.

TeyshaBlue
06-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Stop stalking me!:cry:cry

Halberto
06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
in your opinion

http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg

redzero
06-22-2012, 02:47 AM
boutons has the shittiest posting style on this site. Does he really think typing "Repug" for the 20,000th time is clever?

Wild Cobra
06-22-2012, 05:36 AM
yeah CC isn't even close to WC as a right wing nut. His views are pretty sensible for the most part and he's independent on a lot of issues. I'd vote for someone with similar views to CC, no way I'd ever vote for someone with the views if WC :lol
Yes, I do seem to be in a class by myself here...

mouse
06-24-2012, 03:21 PM
when ever you pump anything deep into the ground the chances of it showing up in drinking water is 98% so I really don't see why all the confusion.

How about you non believers dig a well downstream from an aids clinic and i have all the patents urinate and defaecate outside and let me know how your coffee taste after about a year.

boutons_deux
06-24-2012, 03:26 PM
boutons has the shittiest posting style on this site. Does he really think typing "Repug" for the 20,000th time is clever?

You Can't Handle The Truth, you stylish asshole

boutons_deux
06-24-2012, 03:29 PM
when ever you pump anything deep into the ground the chances of it showing up in drinking water is 98% so I really don't see why all the confusion.

How about you non believers dig a well downstream from an aids clinic and i have all the patents urinate and defaecate outside and let me know how your coffee taste after about a year.

The spin is that fracking is so deep the that what goes down NEVER reaches the aquifer.

You do know that of the millions of gallons that go down (wanna bet the mother frackers pay the same water rate as residents? royalties on destroying the water?), millions of gallons come up and are stored on the surface or taken somewhere?

Halberto
06-24-2012, 11:29 PM
lol boutons agreeing with the guy that believes modern science is a farce

Halberto
06-24-2012, 11:31 PM

And the grand canyon was also created in 6 days, just like how your brain developed

redzero
06-25-2012, 04:22 AM
You Can't Handle The Truth, you stylish asshole

:lol truth has nothing to do with it. Your posting style would be just as shitty if you were on the other end of the political spectrum.

You need to take a break from politics; it's clearly affected you for the worse.

TeyshaBlue
06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
The spin is that fracking is so deep the that what goes down NEVER reaches the aquifer.

You do know that of the millions of gallons that go down (wanna bet the mother frackers pay the same water rate as residents? royalties on destroying the water?), millions of gallons come up and are stored on the surface or taken somewhere?

Well, this is an improvement. You've at least learned that the fluids are recovered. Good job. :tu

TeyshaBlue
06-25-2012, 09:18 AM

lol @ 98% chance of this statistic being pulled from your ass.

mouse
06-26-2012, 10:53 PM
lol @ 98% chance of this statistic being pulled from your ass.

The 2% of those that are educated enough in this forum to see my valid point is worth my time.

TE
06-26-2012, 11:05 PM
The 2% of those that are educated enough in this forum to see my valid point is worth my time.

:lmao

Halberto
06-26-2012, 11:05 PM

:lol "educated"

my bachelors in geophysics > your absent high school diploma

mouse
06-27-2012, 07:33 AM
:lol "educated"

my bachelors in geophysics > your absent high school diploma

First off you may have a framed piece of paper on your wall saying you got through a school or a class but that doesn't make you wise smart or "educated"

Paris Hilton could have a PHD and I still wouldn't let her operate on me.

Are you saying your smarter than Steve Jobs or Bill Gates both dropped out of collage?

You want to debate me on if Fracking is harmful to the drinking water go right ahead, it's your ass not mine that will suffer that, I can guarantee you.

on a side note I attended MIT 1984-86 but I don't seem to get the pleasure from tooting my horn as you do.

TeyshaBlue
06-27-2012, 09:11 AM

First off you may have a framed piece of paper on your wall saying you got through a school or a class but that doesn't make you wise smart or "educated"

Are you saying your smarter than Steve Jobs or Bill Gates both dropped out of collage?

You want to debate me on if Fracking is harmful to the drinking water go right ahead, it's your ass not mine that will suffer that, I can guarantee you.

on a side note I attended MIT 1984-86 but I don't seem to get the pleasure from tooting my horn as you do.

I see you cannot defend your asinine 98% figure. Shocking.

I owned a frac tank company for a few years. Prior to that I worked extensively in the oil business. I've got a clue as to how the frac process works. :rolleyes

mouse
06-27-2012, 09:55 AM
I see you cannot defend your asinine 98% figure. Shocking.

as expected your in the 98% remember?

Can you imagine people who live on this planet still think this was carved out over Millions of years? http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/grand-candwon.jpg

A million years of rain would have already washed away the dirt you see in the photo above not to mention no Fossils have been found between the dirt layers?

this is not Cancer Science people. After all if Science know what happened 12 billion years ago, you think they should have know about Cancer by now?
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/mouse-MIT.jpg

TeyshaBlue
06-27-2012, 10:07 AM
lol @ dodging

TE
06-27-2012, 01:00 PM

It doesn't specifically say one is smarter or more wise, but I'd take a college educated opinion over an opinion like yours.

:lol at bringing up two anomalies, you simply can't face the fact that you were to stupid to get a college degree.

:lol at thinking you can debate the effects of fracking by spitting out conspiracy bullshit.

If you attended MIT, prove it.

Halberto
06-27-2012, 01:44 PM

ed·u·cat·ed (http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ebreve.gifjhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif-khttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gifthttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifd)adj.1. Having an education, especially one above the average.
2. a. Showing evidence of schooling, training, or experience.
b. Having or exhibiting cultivation; cultured: an educated manner.

3. Based on a certain amount of experience or factual knowledge: an educated guess.

My degree and my career fit that description pretty well. How about you?

Also, being a test subject at MIT doesn't mean you attended the school.

Agloco
06-27-2012, 02:09 PM

Just :lol

z0sa
06-27-2012, 02:11 PM
:lol truth has nothing to do with it. Your posting style would be just as shitty if you were on the other end of the political spectrum.

You need to take a break from politics; it's clearly affected you for the worse.

Boutons is somewhere around 50-60 years old (lol). I don't think he'll be taking a break anytime soon if he hasn't already.

You're definitely 100% correct about he having the shittiest posting style on the site. He's even ignorant and pessimistic about the NBA/Spurs, too, saying they wouldn't even make the playoffs in March. :lol

mouse
06-29-2012, 01:20 AM
My degree and my career fit that description pretty well. How about you?

Also, being a test subject at MIT doesn't mean you attended the school.

This isn't who's got a larger cock contest. Are you that kid in school that had to bring the largest marble or the newest yo-yo to feel better about yourself maybe fill that huge void of acceptance you lack that your step dad neglected to do when he was to busy tea bagging your sister he met at the local truck stop one night when he was asking customers for change to buy a colt 45, are you refereeing to him?

Sorry to disappoint you but that guy in the next room of that flimsy single wide trailer your aunt/mom scammed from FEMA during Katrina is not him. So once the wall stops shaking from the headboard in the next room re tape the David Robinson poster back up and hang your diplomas and think how useless they are when your back at Cosco Monday.

Is that where you want to go next resume wars? hey what ever gives you a semi.

You want to toot your horn go right ahead I rather my postings on this subject and your lack of intelligent come backs speak for themselves.

back on topic the Fracking supporters better do some homework before they come in here talking shit.

CosmicCowboy
06-29-2012, 08:27 AM
This isn't who's got a larger cock contest. Are you that kid in school that had to bring the largest marble or the newest yo-yo to feel better about yourself maybe fill that huge void of acceptance you lack that your step dad neglected to do when he was to busy tea bagging your sister he met at the local truck stop one night when he was asking customers for change to buy a colt 45, are you refereeing to him?

Sorry to disappoint you but that guy in the next room of that flimsy single wide trailer your aunt/mom scammed from FEMA during Katrina is not him. So once the wall stops shaking from the headboard in the next room re tape the David Robinson poster back up and hang your diplomas and think how useless they are when your back at Cosco Monday.

You want to toot your horn go right ahead I rather my postings on this subject and your lack of intelligent come backs speak for themselves.

back on topic the Fracking supporters better do some homework before they come in here talking shit.

:lmao @ mouses meltdown. I think he missed the part where Halberto was a geologist working in the oil industry. His weekly paycheck is probably more than mouses entire net worth.

boutons_deux
06-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Are Fracking Wastewater Wells Poisoning the Ground beneath Our Feet?

Over the past several decades, U.S. industries have injected more than 30 trillion gallons of toxic liquid deep into the earth, using broad expanses of the nation's geology as an invisible dumping ground.

No company would be allowed to pour such dangerous chemicals into the rivers or onto the soil. But until recently, scientists and environmental officials have assumed that deep layers of rock beneath the earth would safely entomb the waste for millennia.

Records from disparate corners of the United States show that wells drilled to bury this waste deep beneath the ground have repeatedly leaked, sending dangerous chemicals and waste gurgling to the surface or, on occasion, seeping into shallow aquifers that store a significant portion of the nation's drinking water.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=are-fracking-wastewater-wells-poisoning-ground-beneath-our-feeth

cantthinkofanything
06-29-2012, 09:19 AM

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=are-fracking-wastewater-wells-poisoning-ground-beneath-our-feeth

You should just quit driving or using any kind of hydrocarbon based energy since you're so bent out of shape over it. How can you live with yourself knowing you're lining the pockets of the corrupt VRWC.

boutons_deux
06-29-2012, 09:50 AM
You should just quit driving or using any kind of hydrocarbon based energy since you're so bent out of shape over it. How can you live with yourself knowing you're lining the pockets of the corrupt VRWC.

looks like you think you and people you value will escape the health and financial costs of fracking.

TeyshaBlue
06-29-2012, 09:59 AM

You havent posted one, single, salient fact concerning fracking yet. :facepalm

TeyshaBlue
06-29-2012, 10:09 AM

You realize that fracking disposal is a small subset of these wells, right? I understand you want to conflate all industrial injection sites with fracking to bolster a case you simply do not have the data to make. lol

From the author: As the author of this article, I just want to clarify: Nowhere does this article discuss fracking wells or say that there are 680,000 fracked wells (there are actually many more) but if you read what I have published today it is about a different topic really -- waste across all industries that is handled under a separate, federally regulated program. Geologists are concerned that the fractures underground are increasing permeability for all underground fluids.

That being said, we need to do a much better job with the data we have to model what's going on underground with these sites.

boutons_deux
06-29-2012, 11:21 AM
"Geologists are concerned that the fractures underground are increasing permeability for all underground fluids."

Fracking wells and fracking wastewater wells are just more insults to the earth and potential disasters that Human-Americans will pay for in health and taxes long after the culprits escape with their profits, just like the SuperFund sites (cleanup of which the Repugs want to defund).

Halberto
06-29-2012, 12:23 PM

Wow. I'm in shock. You're not a troll, you really are retarded and clearly butthurt.

I'm not "tooting my horn", I'm simply showing my 5 years of education in Geological sciences as opposed to your 30 minutes of browsing the web for biased articles. Geological degree from UT Austin >>> a few hours of reading articles. Not only do I understand Geology way more than you, but I understand the drilling and extraction side of the oil industry as well. You point at any machine on a drill site and I can tell you what it does. I simply know a lot more than you and boutons.

Also, what's up with these weird ass insults? :lol

mouse
06-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Wow. I'm in shock. You're not a troll, you really are retarded and clearly butthurt.

I'm not "tooting my horn", I'm simply showing my 5 years of education in Geological sciences as opposed to your 30 minutes of browsing the web for biased articles. Geological degree from UT Austin >>> a few hours of reading articles. Not only do I understand Geology way more than you, but I understand the drilling and extraction side of the oil industry as well. You point at any machine on a drill site and I can tell you what it does. I simply know a lot more than you and boutons.

Also, what's up with these weird ass insults? :lol

I knew you would get it! :toast

boutons_deux
10-15-2012, 05:36 AM
Pennsylvania Fracking Law Opens Up Drilling on College Campuseshttp://mjcdn.motherjones.com/preset_12/fracku.jpg

For a system starved by budget cuts, it's an appetizing deal: The Indigenous Mineral Resources Development Act (http://www.motherjones.com/documents/461000-indigenous-mineral-resources-incentives) mandates that 50 percent of all fees and royalties from the mineral leases will be retained by the university where those minerals are mined, 35 percent will be distributed across the state system, and another 15 percent will go towards subsidizing student tuition.

Of course, those benefits don't take into account externalized costs.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/10/pennsylvania-fracking-law-opens-drilling-college-campuses

Banksters Great Depression craters tax revenues, cut the budgets, then let the mega-oilcos fuck up the country.

aka, disaster capitalism.

Human-Americans, always for sale and willing to sell out, being sold down the river of no return.

cantthinkofanything
10-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Human-Americans, always for sale and willing to sell out, being sold down the river of no return.

Meh. People will evolve to the point where the body will actually use these frac'ing chemicals to become stronger. You're so fucking shortsighted.

boutons_deux
10-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Meh. People will evolve to the point where the body will actually use these frac'ing chemicals to become stronger. You're so fucking shortsighted.

yep, many 1000s of years, IF the witch's brew of chemicals were stable, but BigChem keeps inventing new toxic shit.

MannyIsGod
10-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Its not my personal field of study but personally I've not seen proof that fracking is very dangerous. I have not really looked into it very much, though. I'll talk to the hydrogeologist I work for to see what his opinion is, though. He's worked for oil companies in the past but I'm not sure if he has experience with fracking.

boutons_deux
10-15-2012, 02:06 PM
"He's worked for oil companies"

Assume he's compromised, like TB

BigOil has been working very hard to suppress, defund any studies of fracking.

The Big GiveAway was when dickhead/Repugs exempted fracking industry from the EPA/Clean Water Act. Now, why would they do that? :lol

cantthinkofanything
10-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Its not my personal field of study but personally I've not seen proof that fracking is very dangerous. I have not really looked into it very much, though. I'll talk to the hydrogeologist I work for to see what his opinion is, though. He's worked for oil companies in the past but I'm not sure if he has experience with fracking.

I generally agree. In any event, it's fairly insignificant when compared to 1) the relatively small number of people affected and 2) how much other shit people are exposed to (and in many cases willingly).

TeyshaBlue
10-15-2012, 02:08 PM

The Big GiveAway was when dickhead/Repugs exempted fracking industry from the EPA/Clean Water Act. Now, why would they do that? :lol

lol @ compromised. Educated, perhaps.

And you repeat the lie that fracking was exempted from the CWA. lol boutons.

MannyIsGod
10-15-2012, 02:23 PM

What a stupid comment. He's very levelheaded and generally undrestand's the sciences involved with ground water as well as anyone can (not very - ground water hydrology is not a very well versed field). To dismiss out of hand the opinion of someone who's been involved in oil exploration (he worked to model possible contamination scenarios and specifically learned more about hydrology because he didn't believe what his employers were saying) because you fear he's "contaminated" is some flat out idiocy.

I pretty damn sure if he said that fracking was bad you'd be all over it in support.

MannyIsGod
10-15-2012, 02:24 PM
I generally agree. In any event, it's fairly insignificant when compared to 1) the relatively small number of people affected and 2) how much other shit people are exposed to (and in many cases willingly).

Well I'm not in support of fucking up aquifers at all so I hope its clean but generally the little research I've seen shows that there is a lot of knee jerk reaction against fracking. I compare it to how people hate GMO's without understanding that they may not all be bad for you at all.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2012, 02:51 PM
As long as the chemicals used in the process are secret, suspicions about the safety of fracking are completely legitimate.

boutons_deux
10-15-2012, 03:04 PM
What a stupid comment. He's very levelheaded and generally undrestand's the sciences involved with ground water as well as anyone can (not very - ground water hydrology is not a very well versed field). To dismiss out of hand the opinion of someone who's been involved in oil exploration (he worked to model possible contamination scenarios and specifically learned more about hydrology because he didn't believe what his employers were saying) because you fear he's "contaminated" is some flat out idiocy.

I pretty damn sure if he said that fracking was bad you'd be all over it in support.

IIRC, TB :lol said he used to work in the fracking business, and said it was without damage to aquifers, the waste water was fine and disponsed of in perfect harmlessness, absolutely no problem, not even any risk, anywhere with fracking.

TeyshaBlue
10-15-2012, 03:11 PM
IIRC, TB :lol said he used to work in the fracking business, and said it was without damage to aquifers, the waste water was fine and disponsed of in perfect harmlessness, absolutely no problem, not even any risk, anywhere with fracking.

You're an idiot who uses gross oversimplifications to hide your complete ignorance on a subject. You can't even accurately repeat what I said. Fucking coward.

TeyshaBlue
10-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Here's your real words.

"The fracking land leasing companies have clauses in their contracts with landowners that cancel all lease payments if the landowner goes public with pollution or other whines."

They dont. Bitch slapped.

"google "fracking leases gag clauses", even doctors are being gagged."

They aren't. Bitch slapped.

"Prove leases that penalizes landowners who file complaints, talk DON'T EXIST"

Stupid goal post move. Self-bitch slapped.

RandomGuy
10-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Symptoms are year round for us, I never used to get headaches in my life until 2 years ago. That strong sewage smell HAD to be the fracking. I never thought of it until I read the article but that distinctive smell popped right into my head as I was reading. I remember calling my parents and asking them if they could smell anything that I thought one of the rigs were leaking. I didn't know what fracking was back then. PS I have a bad headache right now, per the usual.

Sewage smell is methane.

http://www.4radon.com/camocugasde.html

Multigas detector is about $60 with shipping, handling.

People are worried about the chemical slurry, but it appears the real problem is methane seeping up through the cracks.

Dunno if anyone has suggested this yet.

RandomGuy
10-15-2012, 03:28 PM

Because, in horizontal drilling, the well head is not over the place you are cracking the rock, goober. Look at any good diagram of this, and you can easily see why.

TeyshaBlue
10-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Because, in horizontal drilling, the well head is not over the place you are cracking the rock, goober. Look at any good diagram of this, and you can easily see why.

There's alot of legislative activity in the horizontal drilling arena right now. However, just because you are running a horizontal bore, doesn't necessarily mean you have fracking concerns that are somehow greater than a vertical bore.

TeyshaBlue
10-15-2012, 03:31 PM
There's alot of legislative activity in the horizontal drilling arena right now. However, just because you are running a horizontal bore, doesn't necessarily mean you have fracking concerns that are somehow greater than a vertical bore.

The potential for problems may be larger simply because your bore-length is much longer than a vertical plot.

RandomGuy
10-15-2012, 03:34 PM

Well, the well head is not always over the place that is getting fracked.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/75/HydroFrac.png/800px-HydroFrac.png

The places where the seepage might be occurring are often many miles away from the wellhead.

TeyshaBlue
10-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Well, the well head is not always over the place that is getting fracked.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/75/HydroFrac.png/800px-HydroFrac.png

The places where the seepage might be occurring are often many miles away from the wellhead.

Agreed.

"The potential for problems may be larger simply because your bore-length is much longer than a vertical plot."

cantthinkofanything
10-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Well I'm not in support of fucking up aquifers at all so I hope its clean but generally the little research I've seen shows that there is a lot of knee jerk reaction against fracking. I compare it to how people hate GMO's without understanding that they may not all be bad for you at all.

No...I don't want any pollution of aquifers either. I also don't want any pollution of the air or oceans etc. I realize my car pollutes the air and flushing dead batteries down the toilet probably messes something up. But it's too inefficient to do otherwise.

MannyIsGod
10-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Polluting aquifers is far worse than the air, ocean, or any other medium I can think of.

cantthinkofanything
10-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Polluting aquifers is far worse than the air, ocean, or any other medium I can think of.

why come?

MannyIsGod
10-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Aquifers are a confined space that we can't really clean. Air and water pollution is typically dispersed while if you put shit into a ground water supply it sits there and moves slow as hell. The slow movement is good in that the initial contamination is contained but we just don't know much about how GW moves.

rjv
10-15-2012, 06:03 PM
http://pubs.usgs.gov/ds/718/

for anyone interested. the real question is "how likely are they to leak ?".

FuzzyLumpkins
10-15-2012, 06:20 PM

It's interesting that people that are concerned with the possibilities of stem cell research are okay with this. Seems the same decision calculus is not used.

rjv
10-15-2012, 06:42 PM
It's interesting that people that are concerned with the possibilities of stem cell research are okay with this. Seems the same decision calculus is not used.

true and, for such individuals, i'm not sure what ethical guidelines sway their positions on environmental concerns because, as you pointed out, they do seem to be diametrically opposed to the ones that sway their beliefs on biomedical research.

Halberto
10-23-2012, 12:11 PM

Thanks! Didn't know that. *continues developing drilling prospects for HORIZONTAL WELLS*

leemajors
10-23-2012, 01:17 PM
it's sure destroyed the dove hunting at my dad's place outside of Three Rivers.

boutons_deux
01-20-2013, 08:43 AM
http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2013/01/16/drilling_wide-1441c4009ef43edadc5fc20160cc9430b866d629-s4.jpg

For a year (with extensions), North Dakota allows drillers to burn gas, just let it flare. There are now so many gas wells burning fires in the North Dakota night, the fracking fields can be seen from deep space.

Natural Resources Defense Council, every day drillers in North Dakota "burn off enough gas to heat half a million homes."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/01/16/169511949/a-mysterious-patch-of-light-shows-up-in-the-north-dakota-dark?ft=3&f=111787346&sc=nl&cc=es-20130120

boutons_deux
04-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Pennsylvania Court Deals Blow to Secrecy-Obsessed Fracking Industry: Corporations Not The Same As Persons With Privacy RightsA Pennsylvania judge in the heart of the Keystone State’s fracking belt has issued a forceful and precedent-setting decision holding that there is no corporate right to privacy under that state’s constitution, giving citizens and journalists a powerful tool to understand the health and environmental impacts of natural gas drilling in their communities.

“Whether a right of privacy for businesses exists within the prenumbral rights of Pennsylvania’s constitution is a matter of first impression,” wrote Washington County Court of Common Pleas Judge Debbie O’Dell Seneca late last month. “It does not.”

Judge O’Dell Seneca’s ruling comes in an ongoing case where several newspapers sued to unseal a confidential settlement where major fracking corporations paid $750,000 to a family that claimed the gas drilling had contaminated their water and harmed their health. The Court ordered that settlement unsealed, enabling the papers, environmentalists and community rights advocates to examine the health issues and causes.

http://www.alternet.org/fracking/pennsylvania-court-deals-blow-secrecy-obsessed-fracking-industry-corporations-not-same

TeyshaBlue
04-17-2013, 11:34 AM
"The Court’s ruling is significant because the fracking companies have relied on secrecy agreements with landowners to hide the environmental and health impacts of gas drilling. "
lol hide.
lol alternet.

DMX7
04-17-2013, 10:31 PM
This planet is fucked.

ErnestLynch
04-18-2013, 02:04 AM
Some places fracking is safer than others. They've been fracking for 70 years out in west texas. Now some places in Pennsylvania it may be a little iffy but I'm no geologist. Much shallower wells back there. Not all formation depths are the same or production zones. This stuff in Eagle Ford is around 13-14 thousand feet I believe. Well below the aquifer.

ErnestLynch
04-18-2013, 02:06 AM
http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2013/01/16/drilling_wide-1441c4009ef43edadc5fc20160cc9430b866d629-s4.jpg

All new fields they have to burn off the gas till they get the facilities and pipelines built. My son works up there and he says they're building pipelines all over the place.

Wild Cobra
04-18-2013, 03:18 AM
This planet is fucked.
No, the planet will do just fine. If we scratch Mother Earth enough, she will smite us. She will do just fine. It is us that is fucked if something happens. She will recover.

BobaFett1
04-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Huh? No way dude, my dad has been having really bad sinus problems for a while and our doctor specifically told him that it was probably the fracking and that it was causing a lot of people around here health problems. He said that it was accepted amongst doctors but not yet challenged or proven by studies that the fracking caused health problems and that technically he really wasn't supposed to even be telling it to his patients.

Sir just take care of yourself and get that shit shut down. Chesapeake is so effin greedy.

RandomGuy
04-18-2013, 12:29 PM

Virtually certain that some aquifer will eventaully be tainted, and there is some indications taht this has already happened.

RandomGuy
04-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Some places fracking is safer than others. They've been fracking for 70 years out in west texas. Now some places in Pennsylvania it may be a little iffy but I'm no geologist. Much shallower wells back there. Not all formation depths are the same or production zones. This stuff in Eagle Ford is around 13-14 thousand feet I believe. Well below the aquifer.

Fracking is cracking strata that far down allowing gas to percolate *up* through the new fissures created.

Don't thienk the fluids used will mess up aquifers, but the different pockets of various gases will. This is what I think is happenign now in a few places based on reports we do have.

Time will tell, wht the ultimate results of all this will be, but w are rushign headlong into widespread use of this before we have a lot of good data on what exactly happens when you do this on a widespread area.

IF I was drawing water from underground wells, I would sure be testing my water on a monthly basis.

leemajors
06-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Energy Companies taking advantage of Amish, their religion does not allow for lawsuits:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113354/energy-companies-take-advantage-amish-prohibition-lawsuits#

thx symple, i'm a dope.

symple19
06-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Energy Companies taking advantage of Amish, their religion does not allow for lawsuits:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/11/4419736/feedly-launches-cloud-before-google-reader-shutdown

Wrong link, dude

boutons_deux
06-11-2013, 04:41 PM
how deep are the holes for the waste water?

same depth as the extraction holes?

mouse
06-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Some places fracking is safer than others.

That's like saying some of the Nazi concentration camps were not as bad as others.

mouse
06-11-2013, 05:06 PM
bvT4PycSAPksNG51aMedDU

RandomGuy
06-12-2013, 09:54 AM
That's like saying some of the Nazi concentration camps were not as bad as others.

No, not really.

boutons_deux
06-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Fracking is a boon to manufacturers but not their workersBut state employment data, academic research and a week-long tour of half a dozen factories in Ohio suggests the shale gas revolution has been a disappointment when it comes to job creation.

“The industries benefiting are more capital intensive than labor intensive,” said Tom Waltermire, the chief executive of Team NEO, the economic development agency for northeast Ohio.

“Even a manufacturing renaissance won’t require the same headcount per unit of output as we had 20 or 30 years ago. If it did require that, the renaissance would never happen.”

In March, a study by Cleveland State University concluded that while gas exploration had unleashed a surge in economic activity in Ohio, job growth – even in counties directly affected by the drilling – was stagnant. The employment growth that many assumed would follow the energy investment was “not yet evident,” the study’s authors said.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/14/u-s-shale-is-a-boon-to-manufacturers-but-not-their-workers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29

boutons_deux
06-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Fracking Is Already Straining U.S. Water Supplies

Some of America's most intensive oil and gas development is occurring in drought-prone regions where water is scarce

As the level of hydraulic fracturing of oil and gas wells in the United States has intensified in recent years, much of the mounting public concern has centered on fears that underground water supplies could be contaminated with the toxic chemicals used in the well-stimulation technique that cracks rock formations and releases trapped oil and gas. But in some parts of the country, worries are also growing about fracking’s effect on water supply, as the water-intensive process stirs competition for the resources already stretched thin by drought or other factors.

Every fracking job requires 2 million to 4 million gallons of water, according to the Groundwater Protection Council (http://www.gwpc.org/sites/default/file/Shale%20Gas%20Primer%202009.pdf). The Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA, has estimated (http://yosemite.epa.gov/sab/sabproduct.nsf/0/D3483AB445AE61418525775900603E79/$File/Draft+Plan+to+Study+the+Potential+Impacts+of+Hydra ulic+Fracturing+on+Drinking+Water+Resources-February+2011.pdf) that the 35,000 oil and gas wells used for fracking consume between 70 billion and 140 billion gallons of water each year. That’s about equal, EPA says, to the water use in 40 to 80 cities with populations of 50,000 people, or one to two cities with a population of 2.5 million each.

Ceres found that 47 percent of these wells were in areas “with high or extremely high water stress” because of large withdrawals for use by industry, agriculture, and municipalities. In Colorado, for example, 92 percent of the wells were in extremely high water-stress areas, and in Texas more than half were in high or extremely high water-stress areas.

Another recent study (http://www.circleofblue.org/waternews/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Nicot+Scanlon_EST_12_Water-Use-Fracking.pdf) by the University of Texas looked at past and projected water use for fracking in the Barnett, Eagle Ford, and Haynesville shale plays in Texas, and found that fracking in 2011 was using more than twice as much water in the state as it was three years earlier. In Dimmit County, home to the Eagle Ford shale development in South Texas, fracking accounted for nearly a quarter of overall water consumption in 2011 and is expected to grow to a third in a few years, according to the study.

etc

http://www.alternet.org/fracking/fracking-already-straining-us-water-supplies

and the poisoned, toxic is forced back down waste wells to contaminate ground water. An expensive, Human-American-subsidized "externality" that BigOilGas will never pay for.

boutons_deux
06-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Chevron CEO admits fracking raises “legitimate” safety concerns

Energy producers must deal with the “legitimate concerns” that gas development associated with hydraulic fracturing is unsafe by adopting tougher standards, Chevron Corp. Chief Executive Officer John Watson said. …
“Public expectations are very high, and there’s no reason they shouldn’t be high,” Watson said. “There are some risks out there. Some risks are overstated. But we have to engage them either way.”

Kurt Glaubitz, a Chevron spokesman, said Watson was referring to concerns with truck traffic and the disposal of hazardous wastewater from the fracking process as areas of concern the industry needs to confront.

Those are stronger words than we’ve heard from the Obama administration, which is taking a less-than-aggressive approach to regulating (http://grist.org/news/draft-fed-rules-would-let-frackers-do-whatever-they-want-but-theyre-still-not-happy/) the fracking industry — much to the anger of environmentalists.

http://grist.org/news/chevron-ceo-admits-fracking-raises-legitimate-safety-concerns/?utm_source=syndication&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=feed

boutons_deux
06-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Frackademia: University of Tennessee Set to Lease Forest For Fracking, Enriching Governor's Family Eight thousand and six hundred acres of the Cumberland Forest (http://www.ohio.com/blogs/drilling/ohio-utica-shale-1.291290/university-of-tennessee-seeking-drilling-leases-on-8-000-acres-1.404893) owned by University of Tennessee-Knoxville will be leased off to the oil and gas industry this August (http://purchasing.tennessee.edu/30001591.pdf) in a new form of "frackademia (http://www.desmogblog.com/directory/vocabulary/10232)" - and one of the top financial beneficiaries will be the family of Republican Gov. Bill Haslam, who sits on UT-Knoxville's Board of Trustees (http://bot.tennessee.edu/members.html).

Haslam Family: Leveraging UT-Knoxville Ties for Fracking Profits

Gov. Haslam, the former Mayor of Knoxville, took $398,110 from the oil and gas industry (http://www.followthemoney.org/database/StateGlance/contributor_details.phtml?c=116564&i=33) before his Nov. 2010 gubernatorial race victory.

The Haslam family is an oil and gas family through and through, standing to profit immensely from a fracking boom in Tennessee and nationwide.

In 2012, the Haslam family - owners of Pilot Flying J (http://www.pilotflyingj.com/?ASP.default_aspx) truck fueling stations, a corporation where Bill Haslem used to serve as president (http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/jan/18/growth-and-change-business-evolves-haslam-siblings/) - purchased Western Petroleum (http://www.pilotflyingj.com/pilot-flying-j-to-acquire-western-petroleum) and Maxum Petroleum (http://www.waudcapital.com/news/2012/07-12-max.html). Both Western and Maxum are major suppliers of fuel and lubricants for fracking operations. Pilot Flying J is the nation's No. 1 retailer of diesel fuel (http://bigstory.ap.org/article/pilot-flying-j-raid-focuses-incentive-practices) and is the 6th most profitable corporation in the U.S. (http://www.forbes.com/largest-private-companies/list/), earning over $29 billion in 2012.

Pilot Flying J also has 63 of its stations nationwide retrofitted with natural gas pumps (http://www.cleanenergyfuels.com/pdf/CE-OS.ANGH.012412.pdf) for 18-wheelers owned by T. Boone Pickens (http://www.desmogblog.com/directory/vocabulary/3362)' Clean Energy Fuels Corporation (CEF) (http://clean%20energy%20fuels%20corporation%20%28cef%29/) as part of CEF's "America's Natural Gas Highway (http://www.desmogblog.com/2012/11/15/locking-shale-demand-ge-signs-deal-clean-energy-fuels-gas-powered-vehicles)." Some perspective: CEF currently has 67 U.S. fueling stations in total.

By the end of 2013 - an article in EcoWatch explains (http://ecowatch.com/2013/fracking-goes-south/) - Pilot Flying J "plan[s] to have 100 truck stops capable of fueling 18-wheelers with...natural gas."

Bill Haslam's father, Jim Haslem - a co-chair (http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/dec/03/gingrich-mounting-tennessee-campaign-as-poll/) of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's Tennessee campaign and former member (http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/jul/03/4-new-ut-trustees-named/?print=1) of the UT-Knoxville Board of Trustees - gave a $32.5 million donation to UT-Knoxville in 2006 (http://www.utk.edu/news/haslamgift.shtml). It was the largest ever private donation to the university from an individual.

http://truth-out.org/news/item/16923-frackademia-university-of-tennessee-set-to-lease-forest-for-fracking-enriching-governors-family

boutons_deux
06-26-2013, 08:53 AM
What the Frack is Up with Drinking Water and Shale Gas Extraction? (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/water-works/2013/06/24/what-the-frack-is-up-with-drinking-water-and-shale-gas-extraction/)

A study (http://www.eurekalert.org/jrnls/pnas/pdfs/pnas.201221635.pdf) out today in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences helps to build the case that the practice of hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking,” does indeed pollute underground water reserves.

They found that of the drinking water they tested in homes less than a kilometer away from a natural gas well, 82 percent had well-related methane levels that averaged six times higher than levels found in homes farther than a kilometer. (Some methane occurs naturally, so researchers teased out the isotopic signatures of methane from natural-gas sources.)

“Overall, our data suggest that some homeowners living <1 km from gas wells have drinking water contaminated with stray gases,” wrote the study authors.

They speculate that natural-gas-well casings may be leaking, and that the geology of the formation makes a difference in terms of what can and can’t migrate to drinking water supplies.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/water-works/?p=196&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DiscoverMag+%28Discover+Magaz ine%29#.UcoSuqziW5I

I read where about 1/3 of natgas is being flared due to lack of good price, no/insufficient pipelines

Halberto
06-27-2013, 01:25 AM
They speculate that natural-gas-well casings may be leaking, and that the geology of the formation makes a difference in terms of what can and can’t migrate to drinking water supplies.

this is your number one reason, independent of fracking. Fractures don't penetrate water tables and the fluids CAN'T migrate through every lithology up to the water table. Boy, you sure act as if you actually know what you're talking about.

boutons_deux
06-27-2013, 08:40 AM
so you're heroically, very logically separating fracking from the failed fracking casings? :lol

I can't find it now, but I read that casings have lifetime of 20 years, will crack and leak that poison into the water table, aquifer.

TeyshaBlue
06-27-2013, 09:56 AM
so you're heroically, very logically separating fracking from the failed fracking casings? :lol

I can't find it now, but I read that casings have lifetime of 20 years, will crack and leak that poison into the water table, aquifer.

What? Thinkprogress down or something?

TeyshaBlue
06-27-2013, 09:57 AM

lol simpleton.

boutons_deux
06-27-2013, 10:01 AM
TB :lol dickless coward, got nothing to say

TeyshaBlue
06-27-2013, 10:09 AM
TB :lol dickless coward, got nothing to say

You mean like the bitch slapping I gave you yesterday?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218619&page=2&p=6707738&viewfull=1#post6707738

Not to mention the repeated bitch slapping by CG, Halberto and moi delivered to you in this very thread.:lmao

Not only are you a coward, but you're a delusional coward at that.:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

boutons_deux
06-27-2013, 10:44 AM
You mean like the bitch slapping I gave you yesterday?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218619&page=2&p=6707738&viewfull=1#post6707738

Not to mention the repeated bitch slapping by CG, Halberto and moi delivered to you in this very thread.:lmao

Not only are you a coward, but you're a delusional coward at that.:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

TB :lol nobody bitch slaps The Great Boutons

TeyshaBlue
06-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Everybody bitch slaps you. You're just too fucking delusional to respect that.

lol rss fellator.

boutons_deux
06-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Everybody bitch slaps you. You're just too fucking delusional to respect that.

lol rss fellator.

TB :lol trash talking the evil RSS :lol GFY

TeyshaBlue
06-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Rss is great. As a confirmation bias blanket, it's pathetic. lol coward

boutons_deux
06-27-2013, 12:53 PM

confirmation bias blanket? :lol

TeyshaBlue
06-27-2013, 01:17 PM
I know you have no lucid response. Nothing new.

Winehole23
06-28-2013, 11:25 AM
What? Thinkprogress down or something?I find this: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=methane-in-pennsylvania-duke-study

boutons_deux
06-28-2013, 11:28 AM
I find this: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=methane-in-pennsylvania-duke-study

dammit, quit posting facts and studies that show fracking is toxic. TB :lol is a fracking-is-toxic denier.

Scientific American is a Comic Book -- WC

TeyshaBlue
06-28-2013, 02:25 PM
I find this: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=methane-in-pennsylvania-duke-study

Good article. Nothing particularly groundbreaking....Im curious why a they wouldnt run a bond log after a cement job. Pretty routine down here. The second page is fairly interesting.

TeyshaBlue
06-28-2013, 02:26 PM
dammit, quit posting facts and studies that show fracking is toxic. TB :lol is a fracking-is-toxic denier.

Scientific American is a Comic Book -- WC

Get a grownup to read the article to you. It doesnt say quite what thinkprogress tells you to think.

Fucking moron.

boutons_deux
07-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Get a grownup to read the article to you. It doesnt say quite what thinkprogress tells you to think.

Fucking moron.

TB :lol has nothing to say. :lol

boutons_deux
07-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Confirmed: Fracking Triggers Quakes and Seismic Chaos

http://www.motherjones.com/files/quake_630_2.gif

Major earthquakes thousands of miles away can trigger reflex quakes in areas where fluids have been injected into the ground for fracking and underground waste water storage, according to a study published in the journal Science on Thursday.

Previous studies, covered in a recent Mother Jones feature (http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/03/does-fracking-cause-earthquakes-wastewater-dewatering) from Michael Behar, have shown that injecting fluids into the ground can increase the seismicity of a region. This latest study shows that earthquakes can tip off smaller quakes in far-away areas where fluid has been pumped underground.

Fracking waste fluids "kind of act as a pressurized cushion," said a lead author on the study.

The scientists looked at three big quakes: the Tohuku-oki earthquake in Japan in 2011 (magnitude 9), the Maule in Chile in 201 (an 8.8 magnitude), and the Sumatra in Indonesia in 2012 (an 8.6). They found that, as much as 20 months later, those major quakes triggered smaller ones in places in the Midwestern US where fluids have been pumped underground for energy extraction.

"[The fluids] kind of act as a pressurized cushion," lead author Nicholas van der Elst of the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University explained to Mother Jones. "They make it easier for the fault to slide."

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2013/07/earthquakes-triggered-more-earthquakes-near-us-fracking-sites

TeyshaBlue
07-11-2013, 04:12 PM
TB :lol has nothing to say. :lol

lol simpleton. You have no idea what that study said. Lol RSS fellator.

TeyshaBlue
07-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Odd how Mother Jones (:lol) can't be bothered to link the actual study. Of course that doesn't matter to moon bats like boutons who thinks what he's told to think.:lol:lol

boutons_deux
07-11-2013, 04:27 PM
more proof that injecting fluid into earth causes earthquakes

SoCal geothermal power production causes earthquakes, study says

The geothermal power plants at Southern California’s Salton Sea don’t just produce electricity, they also trigger thousands of temblors not far from one of the West Coast’s most dangerous earthquake faults, a study says.

A study published online Thursday in the journal Science found that as production rose at the Imperial County geothermal field, so did the number of earthquakes. From 1981 through 2012, more than 10,000 earthquakes above magnitude 1.75 were recorded in the area.
“That group of earthquakes …. is connected to the production,” said Emily Brodsky, a UC Santa Cruz geophysicist and the paper’s lead author.

The largest quake during the three-decade study period was magnitude 5.1; the vast majority of quakes were small. But they are occurring about 12 miles from the southern end of the San Andreas fault, which seismologists predict will eventually rock the Southland with a devastating temblor.

Could the little earthquakes in the geothermal field trigger something bigger on the San Andreas?

“The big question at this point is what is the probability of jumping that gap and actually starting to interact with the San Andreas?” Brodsky said. “We don’t know the answer to that question.”

“It is plausible. Is it a certainty? No,” she added.

Geothermal power production started in the Salton Sea field in 1982 and includes one of the largest and hottest geothermal wells in the world. Plants extract super-heated water from thousands of feet beneath the earth’s surface and use it to produce steam that drives turbines to generate electricity. The remaining brine is then injected back into the ground.

It’s been known for decades that injecting fluids into the earth can lead to seismic activity. Previous studies have linked earthquakes to geothermal production.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/1780/article/p2p-76635813/

boutons_deux
07-11-2013, 04:29 PM
lol simpleton. You have no idea what that study said. Lol RSS fellator.

TB :lol all-knowing defender of fracking at all costs. It's perfectly harmless, everywhere. :lol

TeyshaBlue
07-11-2013, 04:31 PM
lol moonbat straw man

Pathetic...which is what we expect from you.

boutons_deux
07-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Injection Wells Spawn Powerful Earthquakes

Such man-made earthquakes are not rare at all, and some come quickly after injection of wastewater, as in quiescent Youngstown, Ohio, which endured a magnitude 4.0quake after wastewater injection (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=ohio-earthquake-likely-caused-by-fracking) started at a nearby disposal well. The shaking has not recurred since pumping stopped.

That such wastewater injection triggers quakes (http://www.theworld.org/2013/03/oil-extraction-earthquakes/) comes as no surprise. Evidence for them began in the 1960s, when the weapon–making Rocky Mountain Arsenal near Denver attempted to dispose of hazardous chemicals by pumping the liquid underground. During four years of such disposal, the pumping triggered 16 earthquakes, even after the injection stopped.

And the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) deliberately triggered quakes in the Rangely oil field in northwestern Colorado to determine what types of underground pressures might set off temblors.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=drilling-and-pumping-wells-spawn-powerful-earthquakes&WT.mc_id=SA_DD_20130712

TeyshaBlue
07-12-2013, 02:07 PM
lol Spawn. If by spawn the author means there's a correlation, then ok. But, the facts are far from established in this study.

"Study co-author Geoffrey Abers of Columbia University said that "there's something important about getting unexpectedly large earthquakes out of small systems that we have discovered here, " adding that "the risk of humans inducing large earthquakes from even small injection activities is probably higher" than had been believed.
An increase in seismic events has been noted across the US "midcontinent"
But seismologist Austin Holland of the Oklahoma Geological Survey said while the study showed a potential link between the earthquake and wastewater injection, "it is still the opinion of those at the Oklahoma Geological Survey that these earthquakes could be naturally occurring"."

boutons_deux
07-12-2013, 02:16 PM
"Oklahoma Geological Survey"

:lol there's an unbiased source NOT in BigOil's pocket, sorta like TX Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, or the Texas State Board of Education. :lol

TeyshaBlue
07-12-2013, 03:25 PM
lol simpleton

That came from your link, moron.

boutons_deux
07-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Ninety Percent of Pennsylvanians Want Fracking Companies to Reveal Toxic Chemicals

Pennsylvanians want to put a moratorium on fracking.

And it’s not just a few thousand, but a majority of the state’s residents.

Pennsylvania lies in the heart of the Marcellus Shale, possibly the most productive shale for gas in the country.

A joint University of Michigan/Muhlenberg College study reveals that only 49 percent of Pennsylvanians support shale gas extraction and 58 percent of all Pennsylvanians want the state to order “time out” until the health and environmental effects of fracking can be fully analyzed. That same study revealed that 60 percent of Pennsylvanians believe fracking poses a major risk to ground water resources, only 28 percent disagree; 12 percent have no opinion.

Petitions with more than 100,000 signatures requesting a moratorium were delivered to Gov. Tom Corbett in April. As is typical for the man who willingly accepted more than $1.8 million in campaign contributions from the oil and gas industry, it didn’t matter.

High-volume hydraulic horizontal fracturing, better known as fracking, requires per well three to nine million gallons of fresh water, about 10,000 tons of silica sand, and about 100,000 gallons of a lubricant mixture that the drilling companies won’t reveal the contents. However, a U.S. House of Representatives study suggests that of about 750 chemicals that could be used in that solution—every well and every company uses a different mixture—about 650 are toxic or known carcinogens. That mixture is forced into the earth, past the aquifers that provide drinking water, and then is brought up and placed into plastic-liner storage bins, where it is eventually loaded into trucks that travel throughout Pennsylvania, occasionally leaking onto the roads, and usually into Ohio, where millions of gallons of the fluids are forced back into the earth. Scientific evidence now links those deep injection wells to earthquakes. Scientists have also shown health and environmental effects from fracking, and that methane, an explosive greenhouse gas extracted from the earth, has added to the problems of climate change.

http://www.truth-out.org/buzzflash/commentary/item/18084-ninety-percent-of-pennsylvanians-want-fracking-companies-to-reveal-toxic-chemicals

boutons_deux
07-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Former Mobil VP Warns of Fracking and Climate Change

Now what's happened is that the prospect of finding more of those conventional reservoirs, particularly on land and in the places that have been heavily explored like the US and Europe and the Middle East just is very, very small. And the companies have pretty much acknowledged that. All of them talk about the need to go to either non-conventional shale or tight sand drilling or to go into deeper and deeper waters or to go into really hostile Arctic regions and possibly Antarctic regions.

Methane release: fracking the planet's future

So when you talked about "the race for what's left," that's what's going on. Both the horizontal drilling and fracturing have been around for a long time. The industry will tell you this over and over again - they've been around for 60 years, things like that. That is correct. What's different is the volume of fracking fluids and the volume of flow-back that occurs in these wells. It is 50 to 100 times more than what was used in the conventional wells.

The other [difference] is that the rock above the target zone is not necessarily impervious the way it was in the conventional wells. And to me that last point is at least as big as the volume. The industry will tell you that the mile or two between the zone that's being fracked is not going to let anything come up.

But there are already cases where the methane gas has made it up into the aquifers and atmosphere. Sometimes through old well bores, sometimes through natural fissures in the rock. What we don't know is just how much gas is going to come up over time. It's a point most people haven't gotten. It's not just what's happening today. We're opening up channels for the gas to creep up to the surface and into the atmosphere. And methane is a much more potent greenhouse gas in the short term - less than 100 years - than carbon dioxide.

LA: I think the main question is how fast can these movements educate enough people about the dangers of fracking and its impact on global warming. It will take masses of people demanding action from politicians to offset the huge amount of money that the industry is using to influence lawmakers, a world-scale version of those standing-room-only town meetings. Something has to wake up the general public. It will either be education from the environmental movements or some kind of climate disaster that no one can ignore.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/17605-former-mobil-vp-warns-of-fracking-and-climate-change

boutons_deux
07-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Emissions From North Dakota Flaring Equivalent To One Million Cars Per Year (http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/07/29/2373991/report-emissions-from-natural-gas-flaring-equivalent-to-one-million-cars-per-year/)

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Ceres_NightFlaresMap.jpg

A new report (https://www.ceres.org/press/press-releases/new-report-north-dakota-natural-gas-flaring-more-than-doubles-in-two-years) released today by the investor group Ceres found that the unconventional oil boom in North Dakota has led to a dramatic increase in the amount of natural gas that is intentionally burned off, or flared, carrying major economic and environmental consequences. In 2012 alone, flaring resulted in the loss of approximately $1 billion in fuel and greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to adding nearly one million cars to the road.

According to Ceres, nearly 30 percent of North Dakota gas is currently being flared each month as a byproduct of oil production — double the volume of just two years ago. This is due to the fact that at current market rates, oil is approximately 30 times more valuable than natural gas. Therefore, as companies rush to extract oil from the Bakken shale field and cash in on the high price of crude, they have little economic incentive to invest in the infrastructure necessary to capture the gas that bubbles up alongside the oil. So the gas is treated as waste and burned.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/07/29/2373991/report-emissions-from-natural-gas-flaring-equivalent-to-one-million-cars-per-year/

EPA must fine these mofos.

boutons_deux
07-29-2013, 06:56 PM
transcript not available yet

Pa. Landowners Feel Cheated By Royalty Payments From Fracking

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=206728504

Chesapeake is a shitbag company, among others.

PA judges say "royalty" not defined so BigGas can deduct fees from the royalties for damn near anything, leaving the landowners with $0 or no checks at all.

scroteface
07-29-2013, 07:10 PM
yeah we stopped getting that good money a long time ago. just thugs being thugs tbh, the worst part is the waste thats going on that shit should last forever they're short sighted and only care about themselves here and now.

boutons_deux
07-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Obvious how this movie ends.

The Na'vi gonna lose.

CosmicCowboy
07-30-2013, 06:36 AM
Natural gas prices crash, rpyalty payments drop. What a surprise. There is a huge glut of natural gas in the US right now.

boutons_deux
07-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Natural gas prices crash, rpyalty payments drop. What a surprise. There is a huge glut of natural gas in the US right now.

and the hope is that LNG exports, corporations exporting America's limited, natural resources, will push the price up to around $6+.

fracking everywhere willy nilly has proved to be extremely stupid corporate behavior. Many more wells, and gas than pipelines to deliver the gas, so they waste the gas they don't let escape as flares. fucking brilliant gas cowboys.

boutons_deux
07-30-2013, 08:34 AM
Internal EPA report highlights disputes over fracking and well water WASHINGTON — One year ago, the Environmental Protection Agency finished testing drinking water in Dimock, Pa., after years of complaints by residents who suspected that nearby natural gas production had fouled their wells. The EPA said that for nearly all the 64 homes whose wells it sampled, the water was safe to drink.

Yet as the regulator moved to close its investigation, the staff at the mid-Atlantic EPA office in Philadelphia, which had been sampling the Dimock water, argued for continuing the assessment

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-epa-dimock-20130728,0,4847442.story

EPA field officials know fracking is screwing up water, but EPA HQ and lobbyists shut them down.

boutons_deux
07-30-2013, 08:38 AM
can't find the NPR/TPR link, but TX has de-paved 83 miles of road, tore up the blacktop replace with gravel, owned by taxpayers, destroyed by fracking traffic and reduced the speed limit from 70 to 30 mph. BigGas doesn't pay for its destruction.

Halberto
07-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Emissions From North Dakota Flaring Equivalent To One Million Cars Per Year (http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/07/29/2373991/report-emissions-from-natural-gas-flaring-equivalent-to-one-million-cars-per-year/)

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Ceres_NightFlaresMap.jpg

A new report (https://www.ceres.org/press/press-releases/new-report-north-dakota-natural-gas-flaring-more-than-doubles-in-two-years) released today by the investor group Ceres found that the unconventional oil boom in North Dakota has led to a dramatic increase in the amount of natural gas that is intentionally burned off, or flared, carrying major economic and environmental consequences. In 2012 alone, flaring resulted in the loss of approximately $1 billion in fuel and greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to adding nearly one million cars to the road.

According to Ceres, nearly 30 percent of North Dakota gas is currently being flared each month as a byproduct of oil production — double the volume of just two years ago. This is due to the fact that at current market rates, oil is approximately 30 times more valuable than natural gas. Therefore, as companies rush to extract oil from the Bakken shale field and cash in on the high price of crude, they have little economic incentive to invest in the infrastructure necessary to capture the gas that bubbles up alongside the oil. So the gas is treated as waste and burned.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/07/29/2373991/report-emissions-from-natural-gas-flaring-equivalent-to-one-million-cars-per-year/

EPA must fine these mofos.

Your naive point of view is exposed again.

Have you ever been on an oil rig at night, or ever at all?

The derrick lights the sky up much more than the PULSING flame of UNUSABLE gas being burned off. You think these rig hands work in the dark? Oh, and it's only burned off while the rig is in the drilling phase. Once it's completed the gas is captured and sold.

Something tells me your brain will ignore this truth, like a liberal version of Fox News.

boutons_deux
07-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Your naive point of view is exposed again.

Have you ever been on an oil rig at night, or ever at all?

The derrick lights the sky up much more than the PULSING flame of UNUSABLE gas being burned off. You think these rig hands work in the dark? Oh, and it's only burned off while the rig is in the drilling phase. Once it's completed the gas is captured and sold.

Something tells me your brain will ignore this truth, like a liberal version of Fox News.

you're the ignorant version of halberto

the article claims 30% of the gas is flared, do you dispute that?

something like 50% of the gas wells have been shut since 2011

there's not nearly enough pipelines to get the gas to market

and the price has collapsed so the producers are keeping the gas in the ground until prices rise

etc, etc, etc.

Halberto
07-30-2013, 11:27 AM
:lol I don't know why I bother with you. You're the avante of the politcal forum

Halberto
07-30-2013, 11:31 AM
For those that care to listen to my in-the-field knowledge, if the flares were big enough to light the sky up, or emit enough light pollution comparable to a street lamp, it would be worth their time and money to find a means to transport it. Something about their figures don't add up.... bad math for an agenda. This picture proves it.

Our wells are spaced out much farther than these bakken wells, and also have a high OGR (oil to gas ratio). We built pipelines for the gas.

This guy found an article he likes and refuses to listen to any other arguments.

Th'Pusher
07-30-2013, 11:44 AM
For those that care to listen to my in-the-field knowledge, if the flares were big enough to light the sky up, or emit enough light pollution comparable to a street lamp, it would be worth their time and money to find a means to transport it. Something about their figures don't add up.... bad math for an agenda. This picture proves it.

Our wells are spaced out much farther than these bakken wells, and also have a high OGR (oil to gas ratio). We built pipelines for the gas.

This guy found an article he likes and refuses to listen to any other arguments.

So why aren't we seeing these same light clusters in the Gulf of Mexico where oil rigs are abundant? Rig clusters not tight enough?

Halberto
07-30-2013, 12:00 PM
So why aren't we seeing these same light clusters in the Gulf of Mexico where oil rigs are abundant? Rig clusters not tight enough?

Offshore activity is an area where I'm not very knowledgeable, but I assume the activity is pretty limited in comparison to onshore. I don't know much about light pollution either, but I'd say that's a fair assessment.

boutons_deux
07-30-2013, 12:21 PM
The economics of flaring

Two economic factors explain why oil producers sometimes flare associated gas rather than using it or selling it.
One is the high cost of bringing the gas to market. No company would drill a gas well without pipeline access, but oil wells are a different matter. Although an oil well can produce a considerable amount of associated gas, it still constitutes a relatively small share of the total value of the energy produced. It is often worth drilling for the oil alone even if the gas is wasted. In the past, much of the world’s flaring went on in remote locations with limited access to gas pipelines, especially Siberia and the Niger Delta. North Dakota has now joined that group of productive but remote oil fields without adequate access to gas pipelines.

The other factor that enters into the decision to flare is the current low price of gas, brought about by the fracking revolution. Whether it is worth hooking up to the pipeline network over any given distance depends, in turn, on how much the gas is worth. Recently gas prices in the United States have been bumping along near record lows. As a recent report from OIlPrice.com (http://oilprice.com/newsletters/premium/01022013) puts it, “Natural gas is no longer a good business to be in; there are too many players, too many wells and no ready demand sources to soak up the surplus.” If things have gotten to the point where it isn’t even worth sinking a gas well, it is easy to see how far from economical it can be to market the associated gas from an oil well.

- See more at: http://www.economonitor.com/dolanecon/2013/02/11/too-much-flaring-of-natural-gas-how-a-carbon-tax-could-help/#sthash.NMbyzF2f.dpuf

Halberto
07-30-2013, 02:37 PM

Halberto
07-30-2013, 02:40 PM
My point is that isn't that they arent burning off gas, it's that it's not the amount to be the primary source of light pollution as the picture alludes to.

TeyshaBlue
07-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Absolutely. And you're dead on. Avante has to be bouton's sock puppet....or the other way around.

I grew up playing by the light of gas flares in West Texas tho. Sun Oil used to flare off gas at the refinery at the edge of town now and again. When they did, we could play till midnight.:lol

boutons_deux
07-30-2013, 03:28 PM
:lol I don't know why I bother with you. You're the avante of the politcal forum

you certainly don't bother with responding to my bitch-slapping points

"the article claims 30% of the gas is flared, do you dispute that?"

more"

"It is not as if no one is doing anything about excessive flaring. Since 2002, the World Bank has had a Global Gas Flaring Reduction Partnership (http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/TOPICS/EXTOGMC/EXTGGFR/0,,menuPK:578075~pagePK:64168427~piPK:64168435~the SitePK:578069,00.html), which has attacked the problem on several fronts. By promoting best practices and encouraging the development of markets for associated gas, the partnership has made some headway. Gas flaring worldwide dropped from 172 billion cubic meters in 2005 to 140 billion in 2011, equivalent to taking 52 million cars off the road. The World Bank’s partnership is happy to take at least partial credit for that. However, it appears that flaring is again on the increase, especially in North Dakota.
North Dakota has been making efforts to cut flaring, as well. In principle, state regulations allow a well to flare for no more than a year before it is connected to some kind of gathering system, although permits are sometimes extended. Last year some 1,000 wells were connected, but more than that were drilled, so the amount of flaring increased. In addition to encouraging producers to hook up to the pipeline network, North Dakota uses tax incentives and other carrots to encourage the use of associated gas as a fuel for the generators that power equipment at drilling sites."

- See more at: http://www.economonitor.com/dolanecon/2013/02/11/too-much-flaring-of-natural-gas-how-a-carbon-tax-could-help/#sthash.NMbyzF2f.Ooj06Nxs.dpuf"

Halberto
07-30-2013, 03:50 PM
you certainly don't bother with responding to my bitch-slapping points

http://askawiseman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/hypocrite.jpg

Halberto
07-30-2013, 04:00 PM
lol @ "bitch-slapping points"...

30% is flared, what about the other 70%? When is this flared, in unison as the picture suggests? That "bitch-slapping point" raises more questions than it answers.

tlongII
07-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Fracking is very promising in my opinion. It is our chance for energy independence.

boutons_deux
07-30-2013, 04:41 PM
30% is flared, what about the other 70%?

your question, you answer it, you seem to be an expert on passing gas

Halberto
07-30-2013, 04:46 PM
^ :lol this troll

You post one reference saying all the gas is burned because it's so isolated that it's not worth building pipelines.... then another saying 30% is burned. So the other 70% is sold? And the 30% is burned at once in every well plot in the entire basin like overpressured wellbores producing a blowtorch show??? And a satellite happened to catch this spectacle and snap a picture. All those lights, those are flares.... :toast

Halberto
07-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Your problem is you can't comprehend my argument because you haven't seen what I've seen (giant flare stacks producing giant flares) in person and you don't understand how it all works. You just hunt down another article and pretend like it doesn't matter what I say, what I KNOW, and continue your zealous agenda like a liberal god warrior.

Th'Pusher
07-30-2013, 06:50 PM
lol @ "bitch-slapping points"...

30% is flared, what about the other 70%? When is this flared, in unison as the picture suggests? That "bitch-slapping point" raises more questions than it answers.

You two appear to be talking past each other. As a layman, what are the effects to the environment of the 30% that are admittedly being flared off? That's a negative externality for which the oil and gas companies are not paying when determining in the cost of production.

who cares if it can be seen from space.

AntiChrist
07-30-2013, 07:18 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/saudi-prince-alwaleed-warns-on-fracking-2013-7

Halberto
07-30-2013, 11:02 PM
You two appear to be talking past each other. As a layman, what are the effects to the environment of the 30% that are admittedly being flared off? That's a negative externality for which the oil and gas companies are not paying when determining in the cost of production.

who cares if it can be seen from space.

Well, I'd be lying if I said I knew the true consequences of what burning 30% (is the amount known in BCF?) does for the environment. Clearly it's not helpful, but the magnitude is debatable. What I can tell you is that the oil companies don't enjoy burning it off like wild hooligans, it's lost money. Even at $2.50 /mcf (which is rising in value) that adds up to thousands of dollars a day. This fishy number of 30% is likely a necessary evil. While drilling gas is stuck in the drilling mud and must be circulated out before the mud goes back into the borehole (the mud is continually circulating through the drilling process). The gas at that point is not able to be captured and stored due to it's expansion and the immediate need to get it out for safety reasons. 30% of a well's gas is not burned during the drilling phase, less than 5% probably, so there probably is some issues with pipeline expansion creating an issue. Flares exceeding 40 ft for a wellsite are a cause for concern, it indicates overpressuring and risks the well blowing out and the safety of those around it. When it starts to get that bad they stop drilling, increase the mudweight and the flare lowers.... saving people and also saving money. It should also be noted that the flares pulse, it peaks maybe once every 4 seconds.

That being said, the article sure seems false in claiming it's lighting up the sky over the Bakken... and the sketchy and very unspecific figures they provide lose more merit with the picture.

TeyshaBlue
07-30-2013, 11:35 PM
The article is completely false in portraying the light as flares. As you stated earlier, the lights were from the rigs.....not that the moonbat blogs would ever admit that fuckup.:lmao

TeyshaBlue
07-30-2013, 11:44 PM
http://www.economonitor.com/dolanecon/2013/02/11/too-much-flaring-of-natural-gas-how-a-carbon-tax-could-help/

Nbadan
08-03-2013, 02:18 AM
When drilling company Range Resources offered the Hallowich family a $750,000 settlement to relocate from their fracking-polluted home in Washington County, Pennsylvania, it came with a common restriction. Chris and Stephanie Hallowich would be forbidden from ever speaking about fracking or the Marcellus Shale. But one element of the gag order was all new. The Hallowichs’ two young children, ages 7 and 10, would be subject to the same restrictions, banned from speaking about their family’s experience for the rest of their lives.

It’s not the only time gas exploration companies have gone to great lengths to keep the health problems caused by fracking under wraps. A 2012 Pennsylvania law requires companies to tell doctors the chemical contents of fracking fluids, so long as doctors don’t reveal that information, even to patients they are treating for fracking-related illness.

Sharon Wilson, and organizer with Earthworks, said that was the point. “These gag orders are the reason can give testimony to Congress and say there are no documented cases of contamination. And then elected officials can repeat that.” She makes it clear she doesn’t blame the families who take the settlements. “They do what they have to do to protect themselves and their children.”

Wary of the bad press for putting a lifetime gag order on two minors, Pizzarella told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that “we don’t believe the settlement applies to children.” This, despite ready availability of the settlement transcript, in which the company’s lawyer states “I guess our position is it does apply to the whole family. We would certainly enforce it.”

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/08/02/2401591/frack-gag-for-kids/

"Today in a statement given to the Post-Gazette, we learn that Range may be issuing an affidavit releasing the gag on the Hallowich children."

The question I ask... Would they be backing down if this extortion had not become public...?

This common practice by the gasholes when they eff up peoples water IS extortion.

boutons_deux
08-03-2013, 09:01 AM
http://www.economonitor.com/dolanecon/2013/02/11/too-much-flaring-of-natural-gas-how-a-carbon-tax-could-help/

carbon tax? a fantastic solution, as in pure fantasy! :lol

Carbon pollution taxation has a very good chance of getting imposed by the federal and red state legislatures dominated and/or blocked by legislatures with $100Ms from BigCarbon in their pockets, with the promise of $100Ms more to come.

boutons_deux
08-08-2013, 11:15 AM
New Study Finds High Levels of Arsenic in Groundwater Near Fracking Sites
A recently published study (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es4011724) by researchers at the University of Texas at Arlington found elevated levels of arsenic and other heavy metals in groundwater near natural gas fracking sites in Texas’ Barnett Shale.
While the findings are far from conclusive, the study provides further evidence tying fracking to arsenic contamination. An internal Environmental Protection Agency PowerPoint presentation recently obtained by the Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-epa-dimock-20130728,0,4847442.story) warned that wells near Dimock, Pa., showed elevated levels of arsenic (http://www.propublica.org/article/so-is-dimocks-water-really-safe-to-drink) in the groundwater. The EPA alsofound arsenic (http://www.propublica.org/article/epa-chemicals-found-in-wyo.-drinking-water-might-be-from-fracking-825) in groundwater near fracking sites in Pavillion, Wyo., in 2009 — a study the agency later abandoned (http://www.propublica.org/article/epas-abandoned-wyoming-fracking-study-one-retreat-of-many).

http://www.propublica.org/article/new-study-finds-high-levels-of-arsenic-in-groundwater-near-fracking-sites

inorganic arsenic! It's What's For Dinner

boutons_deux
08-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Wisconsin’s Surprising Involvement In The Fracking Boom (http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/08/08/2432061/wisconsin-surprising-fracking-boom/)

Sand is used as a ‘proppant’ — during fracking, the granuals hold open fractures in the rock formations, so that the natural gas can be released.

Sand mines have been a part of the Wisconsin landscape for hundreds of years, or about as long as dairy cows. Used to make pavement and for water filtration, silica sand has long been a small, but steady industry. Over the last couple of years, however, the demand for sand, and particularly, Wisconsin’s special blend, has sky-rocketed. According to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (http://dnr.wi.gov/), in 2010 there were about five frac sand mines and processing plants.

Now there are somewhere on the order of 115 throughout dozens of counties in central and western Wisconsin.

The rising demand has come almost exclusively from fracking operations. The sand of the Dairy State is so sought after because it is almost pure quartz — every grain is nearly spherical and it has a high compressive strength. Minnesota, northern Illinois, and Iowa all have similar sand composition.

The rapid pace of sand mine development in Wisconsin has many environmentally-minded Midwesterners alarmed. While sand mining might seem relatively benign as these things go — like a child on the beach with a bucket — there is growing concern over the human health and environmental impacts of the industry.

As Sarah Williams, staff attorney at Midwest Environmental Advocates (http://midwestadvocates.org/) based in Madison, Wisconsin, explained, the fine silica from mining sites is something of a nightmare in the human lung.

“These are tiny, jagged crystals that get lodged in people’s lungs,” said Williams. “Over time, they cause a degenerative lung disease called silicosis, that has no cure and ultimately leads to death.”

The explosion in sand mining for fracking is already having adverse impacts on the region’s water supply. Since November 2011, the DNR has issued 20 notices of violation to 19 different mining companies. There have been numerous accidents in recent years, where storm water has washed massive quantities of sand into local waterways. In April 2012, sediment from a Interstate Energy Partners of Plymouth, Minnesota mine ended up in a wetland, eventually flowing into the St. Croix River, a federally protected waterway. Sand can change river pH, water flow patterns and the health of the fish and other animals that call the river, wetland or lake home.

The DNR has been quoted by multiple sources (http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/sand-mines-in-wisconsin-unearth-environmental-problems-b9966691z1-218315291.html) as saying that these problems are just “growing pains.”

As Wisconsin and other states struggle with the fallout from increased sand mining for fracking, it adds to the mounting evidence that the impacts of the natural gas boom will be felt far beyond the drill sites.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/08/08/2432061/wisconsin-surprising-fracking-boom/

and there's more:

Sand From Fracking Could Pose Lung Disease Risk To Workers

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2013/03/22/fracking-sand_wide-dbc8087c5d5b313530115b6f490c0be7c935b63b-s6-c30.jpg

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/03/29/175042708/Sand-From-Fracking-Operations-Poses-Silicosis-Risk

Poor little, persecuted BigCarbon just can't catch a break for all the shit the dump on the planet. snif snif

boutons_deux
08-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Frackonomics: The Science and Economics of the Gas Boom

Fracknapping

You might wonder why the EPA has not limited or regulated fracking operations, in light of the combustible water, cancer-causing chemicals, and earthquake clusters.

The EPA might well have adopted significant national policies on fracking by now, had the practice not been made exempt from the main national environmental laws in the Energy Policy Act of 2005, an offspring of Dick Cheney’s secretive energy committee.

The exemptions from the

Clean Water Act,

the Safe Drinking Water Act,

the Clean Air Act, and

the Superfund law

drastically limit the agency’s authority to act on fracking.

The drive to limit even EPA research into fracking is decades old. An extensive New York Times report, based on interviews with scientists and reviews of confidential files, found that “more than a quarter-century of efforts by some lawmakers and regulators to force the federal government to police the industry better have been thwarted, as EPA studies have been repeatedly narrowed in scope and important findings have been removed.” When Congress first directed the EPA to investigate fracking in the 1980s, the Times reported, EPA scientists found that some fracking waste was “hazardous and should be tightly controlled.” But the final report sent to Congress eliminated these conclusions. An agency scientist relates, “It was like science didn’t matter. ... The industry was going to get what it wanted, and we were not supposed to stand in the way.”

Similarly, when an EPA public-advisory letter to the state of New York called for a moratorium on drilling, the advice was stripped from the released version. A staff scientist said the redaction was due to “politics,” but could as well have said “business power.” More importantly, the first major EPA review of fracking found “little or no threat to drinking water.” This was an eyebrow-raising claim, given that five of seven members of the peer review panel had current or former energy industry affiliations, a detail noted by agency whistle-blower Weston Wilson. Other studies have been narrowed in scope or colored by similar conflicts of interest. More recently, the agency announced that its study finding contamination of Wyoming groundwater will not be subjected to outside peer review, and that further work instead will be funded directly by industry. As the EPA is presently drafting a brand-new report on the subject, these past embarrassments should be kept in mind.

This brings up the problem of regulatory capture, where an industry to be monitored gains major influence over regulators’ policies. As mentioned above, fracking is very loosely regulated by the states, which is always a favorite outcome for corporate America since the regulatory resources of state governments are far smaller and the regulators are even more easily dominated than those of the federal government. The industry-sponsored FracFocus website is the state-sanctioned chemical-information clearing house, and a masterpiece of smooth PR design, suggesting clear water and full transparency. But Bloomberg News reports that “more than 40 percent of wells fracked in eight major drilling states last year had been omitted from the voluntary site.”

Other state reactions have varied. In 2010, the New York State legislature voted to ban fracking, but then-Governor Paterson vetoed the bill and instead issued a temporary moratorium on the practice, though fracking remains illegal in the New York City watershed. Finally, while the EPA’s main study is still pending, the agency has taken some steps, as in 2012 when it required well operators to reduce methane gas emissions from wells and storage pits to limit air pollution. But even here the regulation wears kid gloves: The new moves do not cut into industry profits. In fact, capturing the “fugitive” methane, the agency estimates, will save the industry $11 to $19 million annually. Also, the regulation won’t take effect until 2015.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/18071-frackonomics-the-science-and-economics-of-the-gas-boom

boutons_deux
08-11-2013, 03:34 PM
A Texan tragedy: ample oil, no water

Fracking boom sucks away precious water from beneath the ground, leaving cattle dead, farms bone-dry and people thirsty

Three years of drought (http://www.theguardian.com/environment/drought), decades of overuse and now the oil (http://www.theguardian.com/business/oil) industry's outsize demands on water for fracking (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/interactive/2011/apr/26/shale-gas-hydraulic-fracking-graphic) are running down reservoirs and underground aquifers. And climate change is making things worse.

In Texas (http://www.theguardian.com/world/texas) alone, about 30 communities could run out of water by the end of the year, according to the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/).

Nearly 15 million people are living under some form of water rationing, barred from freely sprinkling their lawns or refilling their swimming pools. In Barnhart's case, the well appears to have run dry because the water was being extracted for shale gas fracking (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/apr/20/shale-gas-fracking-question-answer).

Ranchers dumped most of their herds. Cotton farmers lost up to half their crops. The extra draw down, coupled with drought, made it impossible for local ranchers to feed and water their herds, said Buck Owens. In a good year, Owens used to run 500 cattle and up to 8,000 goats on his 7,689 leased hectares (19,000 acres). Now he's down to a few hundred goats.

The drought undoubtedly took its toll but Owens reserved his anger for the contractors who drilled 104 water wells on his leased land, to supply the oil companies.

Water levels were dropping in his wells because of the vast amounts of water being pumped out of the Edwards-Trinity-Plateau Aquifer, a 34,000 sq mile water bearing formation.

"They are sucking all of the water out of the ground, and there are just hundreds and hundreds of water trucks here every day bringing fresh water out of the wells," Owens said.

"If you're going to develop the oil, you've got to have the water," said Larry Baxter, a contractor from the nearby town of Mertzon, who installed two frack tanks on his land earlier this year, hoping to make a business out of his well selling water to oil industry.

By his own estimate, his well could produce enough to fill up 20 or 30 water trucks for the oil industry each day. At $60 (£39.58) a truck, that was $36,000 a month, easily. "I could sell 100 truckloads a day if I was open to it," Baxter said.

He rejected the idea there should be any curbs on selling water during the drought. "People use their water for food and fibre. I choose to use my water to sell to the oil field," he said. "Who's taking advantage? I don't see any difference."

San Angelo, a city of 100,000, dug a pipeline to an underground water source more than 60 miles away, and sunk half a dozen new wells.

Las Cruces, just across the border from the Texas panhandle in New Mexico, is drilling down 1,000ft in search of water.

"We've got to get floods. We've got to get a hurricane to move up in our country and just saturate everything to replenish the aquifer," he said. "Because when the water is gone. That's it. We're gone."

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/aug/11/texas-tragedy-ample-oil-no-water

mouse
08-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Top MIT Professors refuse to do a live debate on this subject.

Nbadan
08-12-2013, 01:38 AM
Texan drought sets residents against fracking

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/video/2013/aug/11/texas-drought-fracking-video

Halberto
08-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Keep preaching guys, you're doing great. One day people will remember all the good you've done here.

boutons_deux
08-12-2013, 10:23 AM
"Las Cruces, just across the border from the Texas panhandle in New Mexico, is drilling down 1,000ft in search of water."

when fracking victims start drilling down for "fossil water" at 1000 ft+, they will get the toxic fracking waste water that nobody's ever supposed to see again. :lol