PDA

View Full Version : Better in his prime: AI or Wade?

LkrFan
06-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Career numbers:

AI - 26.7 ppg, 6.2 apg, 2.2 spg
Wade - 25.2 ppg, 6.2 apg, 1.7 spg

I say The Answer. Better talent. Played every game like it was his last. More heart. More feared.

Anyone disagree? Then...

Discuss.

Venti Quattro
06-19-2012, 07:57 AM
Both are better than Kobe, definitely.

LnGrrrR
06-19-2012, 07:58 AM
AI and I don't even think its that close.

Venti Quattro
06-19-2012, 08:00 AM

We would NEVER see AI get wheel-chaired off with a shoulder injury. By that standard, he is already better than Wade.

resistanze
06-19-2012, 08:05 AM
AI is one of my favorite players to watch all-time, but Wade was easily a better player at his peak (and probably career), I don't see how anyone could see it otherwise. We're talking about a guy that put up 30 PPG at over 49% shooting with 7.5 APG in a year. Wade shoots about 49% in his career. Wade has had incredible playoff runs. Wade has done all of this with herpes.

AI shot below 43% from the field for his career. Fearless, but was a chucker who's only successful playoff run had a team built around his chucking. No defense, just gambled in the passing lanes.

Wade easily.

Pelicans78
06-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Wade is easily the better player. Better defensively, more versatile offensively. Iverson was very good, but Wade is better.

Russo21
06-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Close one. Suppose i'd have to say AI. Sure he had problems but everyone does. He was pretty feared back in his heyday.

Russo21
06-19-2012, 08:27 AM
5 years averaging over 30 ppg for a career average of 26.7.
Led a shitty Philly team to the finals. He was pretty good. I see him as a player most will half forget in 10 years time though.

Edward
06-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Wade's peak wasn't very long but it was easily better than AI's because of how much more efficient Wade was.

JamStone
06-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Wade's a better all around player because of size and defense. But in his peak, Iverson was just a complete gangsta on the court.

If we're going by peak as in one or two seasons, I'd go with Iverson. If we're going by peak as in best stretch of their careers no matter how short or long, Wade's 1 or so month run in the 2006 playoffs over those 20 or so games is probably historically hard to top by anyone named other than Michael Jordan or Wilt Chamberlain. If we go by a stretch of one playoff run, it's Wade.

scanry
06-19-2012, 10:03 AM
^ Wade had his best series against the Piston back in 2006. I don't know his numbers, but he drove to basket like crazy in that series and unlike in the finals, he earned the points as his shot was falling. :wow

Didn't you guys have the best record in the league that year? I remember you'all having like 4 all stars that year? They were like the Spurs this year until they ran into their OKC Buzzsaw.

stretch
06-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Wade, definitely.

AI had too many flaws in comparison to Wade. Too small, poor man defender, AWFUL shot selection, killed teammates rhythm, etc...

Killakobe81
06-19-2012, 10:07 AM

:lol I know he is not your favorite but dont be obtuse. Lebron maybe better than Kobe, Duncan and Shaq have strong cases for being better in their prime too. But neither AI or Wade are close to being better than Kobe.

VBM
06-19-2012, 10:10 AM
AI was a monster who helped mediocre squads overachieve. Wade had an insane playoff run, but that title did come with a barely post-prime Diesel. AI, to a fault, always believed he was the best player on the court at any given time and had that killer instinct that you just can't teach. Gotta go with The Answer.

baseline bum
06-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Wade easily. I'm a big Iverson fan, but I never saw him have a series like Wade against Detroit in 06.

Venti Quattro
06-19-2012, 10:26 AM
:lol I know he is not your favorite but dont be obtuse. Lebron maybe better than Kobe, Duncan and Shaq have strong cases for being better in their prime too. But neither AI or Wade are close to being better than Kobe.

crofl you don't get it do you. Come on son, they taught as sarcasm at the great UCLA. :lol

Ace
06-19-2012, 10:32 AM
^ Wade had his best series against the Piston back in 2006. I don't know his numbers, but he drove to basket like crazy in that series and unlike in the finals, he earned the points as his shot was falling. :wow

Didn't you guys have the best record in the league that year? I remember you'all having like 4 all stars that year? They were like the Spurs this year until they ran into their OKC Buzzsaw.

Crofl classic LkrFag thread...

Wade easily and not just because that Pistons series but his career numbers all around. Wade is more efficient, a much better defender, more versatile and has a championship. People remember the Dallas series more because it was the finals but Wade has had monster series against some of the top defenses in the league.

DMC
06-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Many of these great players who just happened by luck to be caught up in the Jordan comparison era are sold short when it comes to appraisal.

If I had to chose, I would take Wade over AI even if only for defense.

JamStone
06-19-2012, 10:53 AM

I don't think I've ever seen one single player just unable to miss for an entire playoff series the way Wade played and shot the ball that series. I vividly remember sitting at a bar playing pool with my brother and watching Wade throw his body around as he often did with no regard for his body and then flip circus horse shot after circus horse shot and making EVERYTHING. There was one particular drive where Wade got caught in the air and having to twist and contort his body because of good help defense (I believe by McDyess) and he had his back to the basket and throwing some stupid, crazy shot over his head and it went in, plus the foul of course. Right there, I basically said, yeah, it's over. That might have been like only game 2 too (not sure but I think it was still early in the series). What made matters worse for the Pistons and Pistons fans was that both Antoine Walker and Jason Williams were shooting the ball extremely well at different stretches of the series. Made it very difficult to double or collapse the defense. It wasn't even so much Shaq's presence than it was Wade going superman and role players hitting shots.

I do believe the Pistons had the best record in the league. And their defense, while not as good as the previous two years, was still very strong. The Pistons tried a bunch of different things. Rip, Billups, and Tayshaun guarded Wade. They did pinch at the top of the key and at the elbows to cut off driving angles. Still didn't matter. Wade was ridiculous. And legitimately ridiculous. He wasn't just relying on questionable foul calls, even though he got his share. He just wouldn't miss.

ElNono
06-19-2012, 11:34 AM
AI was no slouch during the playoffs either... don't forget he dropped 30 in his first playoff game and still holds the record dropping 48 in his very first NBA Finals game...

Ace
06-19-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't think I've ever seen one single player just unable to miss for an entire playoff series the way Wade played and shot the ball that series. I vividly remember sitting at a bar playing pool with my brother and watching Wade throw his body around as he often did with no regard for his body and then flip circus horse shot after circus horse shot and making EVERYTHING. There was one particular drive where Wade got caught in the air and having to twist and contort his body because of good help defense (I believe by McDyess) and he had his back to the basket and throwing some stupid, crazy shot over his head and it went in, plus the foul of course. Right there, I basically said, yeah, it's over. That might have been like only game 2 too (not sure but I think it was still early in the series). What made matters worse for the Pistons and Pistons fans was that both Antoine Walker and Jason Williams were shooting the ball extremely well at different stretches of the series. Made it very difficult to double or collapse the defense. It wasn't even so much Shaq's presence than it was Wade going superman and role players hitting shots.

I do believe the Pistons had the best record in the league. And their defense, while not as good as the previous two years, was still very strong. The Pistons tried a bunch of different things. Rip, Billups, and Tayshaun guarded Wade. They did pinch at the top of the key and at the elbows to cut off driving angles. Still didn't matter. Wade was ridiculous. And legitimately ridiculous. He wasn't just relying on questionable foul calls, even though he got his share. He just wouldn't miss.
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/74777/Dwayne_Wade_Miami_Heat.jpg

resistanze
06-19-2012, 11:42 AM

I vaguely remember Wade shooting something like 70% from the field in the first 3 games of the Pistons series. It was ridiculous.

scanry
06-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Didn't Wade catch the flu before the finals? IMO that changed the series as he wasn't 100% in the first two games. I think they could've split and come back to Miami 1-1.

People underestimate that Heat squad due to the phantom whistles. They had a great coach and their role players were playing lights out. I don't think you beat a Pistons squad (and their defense) by not being legit. Their (Pistons) defense went south after that season.

Blake
06-19-2012, 11:57 AM

Koolaid_Man
06-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Career numbers:

AI - 26.7 ppg, 6.2 apg, 2.2 spg
Wade - 25.2 ppg, 6.2 apg, 1.7 spg

I say The Answer. Better talent. Played every game like it was his last. More heart. More feared.

Anyone disagree? Then...

Discuss.

I would always tell the little kids that looked up to me as the playground legend that I was: "If you want to be good as AI you have to work as hard as Kobe." :lol

Koolaid_Man
06-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Wade easily. I'm a big Iverson fan, but I never saw him have a series like Wade against Detroit in 06.

puhlease...your about as inept at judging basketball as you are stroking kitty

listen...because he was a real nigga AI was denied the privileges that Wade has...now I shouldn't post this because it's going to only encourage BR and his fucking tired shtick..

this is the realest link ever of how refs openly cheated Iverson and favored my nigga Kobe..but Kobe didn't need them to win...Just like MJ didn't even though they cheated for MJ as well :lmao

http://www.boobootv.com/2009/12/07/ref-admits-he-cheated-calling-fouls-on-allen-iverson-on-every-play-cheated-for-kobe-bryant-to-win-20-min/

TIMMYtoZO
06-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Didn't Wade catch the flu before the finals? IMO that changed the series as he wasn't 100% in the first two games. I think they could've split and come back to Miami 1-1.

People underestimate that Heat squad due to the phantom whistles. They had a great coach and their role players were playing lights out. I don't think you beat a Pistons squad (and their defense) by not being legit. Their (Pistons) defense went south after that season.

That 2005-2006 Piston team was one of the most overrated teams in NBA history. They played way over their heads in the regular season. Even when they went 3-1 vs Miami in the regular season (that 1 win coming off Wade going ape shit in the 4th and hitting the game winner while being down 13 in the 4th), I knew Miami would handle them pretty easily in a series. The Mavs had a very good team that year. That was the only true legit team Miami faced.

Woo Bum-kon
06-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Wade. Only and idiot would choose that chucker.

JamStone
06-19-2012, 02:14 PM

Truth is the defense had already started to go south that season with Flip Saunders replacing Larry Brown that year. And even with Ben Wallace signing with the Bulls after 2006, the Pistons defense actually didn't decline all that much statistically from 2005-06 to 2006-07. I remember Pistons players even saying that they didn't put any practice time into defense under Flip Saunders, so they were basically playing defense how they remembered and were coached by Larry Brown in Flip Saunders first few seasons, with some wrinkles of some zone defense.

LkrFan
06-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Wade's a better all around player because of size and defense. But in his peak, Iverson was just a complete gangsta on the court.

If we're going by peak as in one or two seasons, I'd go with Iverson. If we're going by peak as in best stretch of their careers no matter how short or long, Wade's 1 or so month run in the 2006 playoffs over those 20 or so games is probably historically hard to top by anyone named other than Michael Jordan or Wilt Chamberlain. If we go by a stretch of one playoff run, it's Wade.

Wade shot more FTAs in 2006 then MJ ever did? Think about that for a moment... His 250 FTAs are more than any non-big man in NBA history. In other words - he was aided in his historic 2006 playoff run. 97 FTAs in a 6-game Finals is unheard of for a guard. That's 16 FTAs/game. Give AI those extra freebies and I'll guarantee you he averages over 45.

Wade is not as good as people think. He's stronger than most perimeter players, so with the current NBA rules his numbers are inflated tbh.

LkrFan
06-19-2012, 02:35 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

JamStone
06-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Wade shot more FTAs in 2006 then MJ ever did? Think about that for a moment... His 250 FTAs are more than any non-big man in NBA history. In other words - he was aided in his historic 2006 playoff run. 97 FTAs in a 6-game Finals is unheard of for a guard. That's 16 FTAs/game. Give AI those extra freebies and I'll guarantee you he averages over 45.

Wade is not as good as people think. He's stronger than most perimeter players, so with the current NBA rules his numbers are inflated tbh.

Wade in the 2006 playoffs averaged 10.9 FTA per game.

Iverson in the 2001 playoffs averaged 9.5 FTA per game.

Now granted the last two NBA Finals games were ridiculous. But that's just those two games. And those two games don't negate what he did the rest of those playoffs.

Wade isn't as good as some people think now. Back in 2006, even if you take into consideration the free throw debacles of those last two Finals games, Wade was as good a player as I've seen in the playoffs. And I'm old enough to have watched every Michael Jordan championship run in the 90s.

LkrFan
06-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Crofl classic LkrFag thread...

Wade easily and not just because that Pistons series but his career numbers all around. Wade is more efficient, a much better defender, more versatile and has a championship. People remember the Dallas series more because it was the finals but Wade has had monster series against some of the top defenses in the league.

Wade is more efficient at shooting layups and dunking. When you miss a shot while getting fouled, they don't count the miss. I wish they did though (you'll see why later :toast). On the surface you see Wade going off for 43 points against the Mavs in the 2006 Finals. The box score shows him going 11-28 to get it. Not that bad right? Then you see he also went 21-25 (http://www.nba.com/games/20060618/DALMIA/boxscore.html) from the charity stripe. So, we already know he chucked at least 28 shots and still got his Stern mandated 25 FTAs. For the times he were gifted 25 freebies, how many of them were actually missed shot attempts? Let's say 12 were - since you get get 2 FTAs per shot attempt that you were fouled against. That really means he shot a shitty 11/40 to get his 43 points. :lol

^Very "AI" like if you ask me. :downspin:

LkrFan
06-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Wade in the 2006 playoffs averaged 10.9 FTA per game.

Iverson in the 2001 playoffs averaged 9.5 FTA per game.

Now granted the last two NBA Finals games were ridiculous. But that's just those two games. And those two games don't negate what he did the rest of those playoffs.

Wade isn't as good as some people think now. Back in 2006, even if you take into consideration the free throw debacles of those last two Finals games, Wade was as good a player as I've seen in the playoffs. And I'm old enough to have watched every Michael Jordan championship run in the 90s.
The whole Finals were ridiculous. He shot less than 10 FTAs once. You show 10.9 attempts - that's misleading. NBA.com shows me he had 250 FTAs during those playoffs. Only Shaq had more - ever. That means he must have been even better than MJ ever was in a single playoff series. You really think Wade was on MJ's level? Wow Jammie. Just wow.

Wade averaged 16 FTAs in the Finals. That's insane. He wasn't that good, was he? I think not.

#41 Shoot Em Up
06-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Wade

TIMMYtoZO
06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/74777/Dwayne_Wade_Miami_Heat.jpg

Game 4 ECF 2006. I believe that was in the 3rd quarter and it gave Miami the lead for good.

Spursfan092120
06-19-2012, 03:13 PM
We would NEVER see AI get wheel-chaired off with a shoulder injury. By that standard, he is already better than Wade.

This

TIMMYtoZO
06-19-2012, 03:17 PM
As for the thread, give me prime Wade over AI. More versatile, better defender, better shotblocker, better rebounder, better leader etc etc. That run in 2006 was something else especially late in the games.

LkrFan
06-19-2012, 03:24 PM
AI was no slouch during the playoffs either... don't forget he dropped 30 in his first playoff game and still holds the record dropping 48 in his very first NBA Finals game...

This. I was nervous as fuck when Fish and Lue were checking him in the Finals tbh. :lol

Venti Quattro
06-19-2012, 03:27 PM
This. I was nervous as fuck when Fish and Lue were checking him in the Finals tbh. :lol

:lmao Lue
:lmao falling down while guarding AI
:lmao walked over by Iverson

LkrFan
HH and Acehole on the same thread at the same time. :wow

LkrFan
:lmao Lue
:lmao falling down while guarding AI
:lmao walked over by Iverson

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Koolaid_Man
06-19-2012, 04:36 PM
As for the thread, give me prime Wade over AI. More versatile, better defender, better shotblocker, better rebounder, better leader etc etc. That run in 2006 was something else especially late in the games.

You crackas are insane....you really believe a overhyped 2006 Heat team could actually fuck with a 2001 prime Kobe and Shaq Laker squad....give AI credit...what he did in a losing effort to one of the most Dominant teams in NBA history is far more impressive than Wade beating a pussy Mavs team with a bunch of free throws..:lol

gaKNOW!blee
06-19-2012, 04:52 PM
4x scoring champion and two other seasons scoring 30+ per game...pretty damn impressive for a guy who probably wasn't even 6'.

Ace
06-19-2012, 05:20 PM
The whole Finals were ridiculous. He shot less than 10 FTAs once. You show 10.9 attempts - that's misleading. NBA.com shows me he had 250 FTAs during those playoffs. Only Shaq had more - ever. That means he must have been even better than MJ ever was in a single playoff series. You really think Wade was on MJ's level? Wow Jammie. Just wow.

Wade averaged 16 FTAs in the Finals. That's insane. He wasn't that good, was he? I think not.

With idiotic takes like this it's no wonder you're the laughing stock of ST. You use that logic on Wade and the same goes for A.I. You have no argument here, not stats or even just simple logic. Wade is better on both sides and far better on the defensive. Wade was amazing since his rookie year, a series against the top seeded Pacers most people forget.

LkrFan
06-19-2012, 05:40 PM
:cry Please love my Wade :cry

:lol

Ace
06-19-2012, 05:50 PM
:lol

Majority here disagree with you, great thread. :tu

LkrFan
06-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Majority here disagree with you, great thread. :tu

I guess that settles it then. :) Wade, although aided by over 250 FTAs, had a better playoff run than Wilt, MJ, Bird, Magic, KAJ, Mailman, Barkley, Ewing, and every other legend. What a stud! :lol

mavs>spurs
06-19-2012, 06:31 PM
People voting for AI is just the nostalgia talking. Everyone liked rooting for the little guy because he was an underdog and played with a lot of heart, but Wade is miles ahead in defense and efficiency it really isn't even very close.

Ace
06-19-2012, 07:12 PM
I guess that settles it then. :) Wade, although aided by over 250 FTAs, had a better playoff run than Wilt, MJ, Bird, Magic, KAJ, Mailman, Barkley, Ewing, and every other legend. What a stud! :lol

Reading comprehension would do wonders for you...

HarlemHeat37
06-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Iverson was fortunate to have played in the early 2000s era of basketball, tbh..

His image coincided with the peak of the "gangster hip-hop" era, at a time where AND1 basketball was popular, and street ball had a resurgence..Iverson's style of play and image translated perfectly to the NBA demographic at the time, also aided by the media and the post-Jordan hype of individual players..

Iverson's style of play, despite making the NBA Finals, could have never led to an NBA title, tbh..AI's teams were built the same way as Derrick Rose's Bulls, they would have lost to any elite team..fortunately for the Sixers, they played in arguably the weakest era in NBA history..

Iverson's 2001 playoff run is arguably the most overrated playoff run in NBA history..his TS% was an atrocious 48%, the pinnacle of inefficiency on a high usage rate..Dikembe Mutombo's contributions to the 2001 run is one of the top 5 most underrated playoff runs in NBA history..

Latarian Milton
06-19-2012, 08:47 PM
AI played at a time when SG's didn't use their body much and that's why some slim/short niggas (david wesley for another example) could earn livings at this position, if he plays in today's game even in prime version, he'd get bulled by them beefy SG's every night.

JamStone
06-19-2012, 09:00 PM
AI played at a time when SG's didn't use their body much and that's why some slim/short niggas (david wesley for another example) could earn livings at this position, if he plays in today's game even in prime version, he'd get bulled by them beefy SG's every night.

Iverson and Wesley are probably the only two examples of really short SGs in the early 2000s. I wouldn't say it was an era thing. With Iverson, he's just a more natural fit at SG offensively. And with Wesley, I believe he played primarily as a PG early on in his career and only moved over to the 2 when Baron Davis emerged with the Hornets. In both cases, they were paired with guys in Davis and Eric Snow who were capable of defending opposing 2-guards so often times they were still guarding the PG position but playing off the ball offensively.

I think in any era, including now, Iverson would be more of a scoring guard than a PG. In his prime, there weren't really any guards whether they were PGs or SGs who could check Iverson, much less bully him.

dbreiden83080
06-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Wade..

Typical AI game..

28 pts on 35% shooting..

midnightpulp
06-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Wade. No comparison. A.I. is the most overrated player of all-time. A chucker's chucker.

Ace
06-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Wade. No comparison. A.I. is the most overrated player of all-time. A chucker's chucker.

Well you can see why LkrFag is a fan...

PublicOption
06-19-2012, 11:08 PM
AI and its really not even close.