PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green needs to go!!!

LASToog36
06-19-2012, 04:33 PM
why?
simple he is garbage and cant handle pressure..
i bet the cavs are laughing at us right now...

he has an ugly shot takes wild shots, and i think his jermey lynn fame is done.. trade him trade him trade him!!!

z0sa
06-19-2012, 04:36 PM
He looked like the X factor all season and then shriveled to Bonneresque levels when the pressure came. Sad story, but he did have a good first 2 (pressureless) rounds, so hopefully he does better next season.

tesseractive
06-19-2012, 04:39 PM
He handled pressure just fine at UNC.

And if the problem is his shot mechanics, all the more reason to keep him around for longer so Chip can keep working with him to sort them out.

tesseractive
06-19-2012, 04:39 PM
He handled pressure just fine at UNC.

And if the problem is his shot mechanics, all the more reason to keep him around for longer so Chip can keep working with him to sort them out.

DesignatedT
06-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Why would the Cavs be laughing at us

ChumpDumper
06-19-2012, 04:48 PM
GNSF weighs in.

CGD
06-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Danny can stay in my book, and should only leave if we get some value for him. I'd argue he's an upgrade to George Hill too. The Bonner comparison is garbage just based on how long Bonner has been a non-factor in the playoffs.

DMC
06-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Danny should stay. He broke into the starting lineup for a reason. Sure he wilted in the playoffs, but he's damn near a rookie. Give him some time. He's got defensive and offensive skills, and doesn't cost a shit ton of money and doesn't seem to be full of himself too much.

I like him.

baseline bum
06-19-2012, 05:03 PM
I'd like to keep him. Had Bruce Bowen not had a huge series against the Lakers in '03 people would have been calling for Stephen Jackson's head the same way they do Green. Jack averaged 8.3 PPG on 33% shooting (19% from the three) in what was by far the most important series of that playoffs, and people would have called him a huge choker had they blown it. Moral of the story: don't write a good player off based on one really bad series (unless it's Turkoglu who had no one within 15 feet of him on virtually every shot :pctoss)

DesignatedT
06-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Danny is a good role player. Nothing else. I'd like to keep him because our other options are limited.

elemento
06-19-2012, 05:14 PM
I don't think he needs to go but i don't want to see SA overpaying to keep him.

Trill Clinton
06-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Yo, chill.

He's a good player but yes, he will be playing in another jersey next season.

ChumpDumper
06-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Yo, chill.

He's a good player but yes, he will be playing in another jersey next season.Why do you say that?

racm
06-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Why do you say that?

Someone will overpay him.

Tbh I'm okay that his cold spell coincided with the Thunder series- his market value plummeted, allowing the Spurs to sign him for cheap. :hat

Josh810
06-19-2012, 08:02 PM
why?
simple he is garbage and cant handle pressure..
i bet the cavs are laughing at us right now...

he has an ugly shot takes wild shots, and i think his jermey lynn fame is done.. trade him trade him trade him!!!
Am I the only one that noticed this? Jeremy Lin fame? :lol

Spurs Brazil
06-19-2012, 08:09 PM
I'd like to keep him. Had Bruce Bowen not had a huge series against the Lakers in '03 people would have been calling for Stephen Jackson's head the same way they do Green. Jack averaged 8.3 PPG on 33% shooting (19% from the three) in what was by far the most important series of that playoffs, and people would have called him a huge choker had they blown it. Moral of the story: don't write a good player off based on one really bad series (unless it's Turkoglu who had no one within 15 feet of him on virtually every shot :pctoss)

:tu

Andthentherewas21
06-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Hes good enough, and would be worth the qualifying offer. Not much more than that though unless he can develop a shot off the dribble.

therealtruth
06-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Danny should stay. He broke into the starting lineup for a reason. Sure he wilted in the playoffs, but he's damn near a rookie. Give him some time. He's got defensive and offensive skills, and doesn't cost a shit ton of money and doesn't seem to be full of himself too much.

I like him.

Green's defense is probably why we even had a chance this season. He's one of our top perimeter defenders.

SenorSpur
06-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Green's defense is probably why we even had a chance this season. He's one of our top perimeter defenders.

Agree. Danny Green is still a developing player, who deserves a longer look. Based upon what we've already seen, there is certainly enough there to justify bringing him back. One bad series does not mean the Spurs should kick him to the curb.

Nathan89
06-19-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm all for signing and trading Green. He's another choker and I want to rid the team of those guys this off-season.

JonNOKC
06-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Its all about $$$ - if the price is right - I am not sure of his ceiling - personally I think he falls in the category of an excellent 5th wing outside the two deep at SG or SF - and an average primary backup

Legacy
06-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Dear God, please STFU already. :cry:cry:cry

Legacy
06-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Am I the only one that noticed this? Jeremy Lin fame? :lol

No.

TDMVPDPOY
06-19-2012, 11:24 PM
lol giving up on a young stud, while the other stud on 3m a year didnt even bother showing up in the playoffs

DMC
06-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Yo, chill.

He's a good player but yes, he will be playing in another jersey next season.
So you are saying he will be in a New Jersey next season?

Kidd K
06-20-2012, 12:39 AM
I completely disagree.

For starters, this was Danny Green's FIRST year where he got significant playing time. He was considered to be a scrub for years, then magically he's good for a season. . .now you want him to go because he choked in the WCF?

Give the dude a break. We're lucky he was as good as he was this year. We need him next season if you want any semblance of a decent season and a final championship run.

Destroying the team now is a failure of an idea. As it is, we only lost because the officials rigged the series in favor of the Chokelahoma City Bastard Children of Stern. Not because Danny Green choked on a handful of shots the first few games before being benched.

Though if you really think the Spurs can replace Danny Green with a superior player who gets paid the same paltry salary, by all means, fill us in on this mysterious replacement who's vastly superior.

Sean Cagney
06-20-2012, 01:06 AM
If they can replace him at all then yes, if not he should be here next year! He played great this year, sides the WCF he was very good.

iManu
06-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Grant Hill drinks sprite.

ginobilized
06-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Keep him and pay him with two Santana albums and a bag of chips

I'd count Abraxis as 2 Santana albums....Chips are usually complimentary in SA.
Keep him. timvp's player pairs stats (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200042) showed a lot of upside to Danny Green being on the floor.

pad300
06-20-2012, 02:43 PM
We're gonna keep him if we can. Why? Because we have his early Bird rights, and can therefore sign him w/o using part of our MLE and/or LLE... Letting him walk for anything less than a MLE level offer would be dumb in financial terms.
It is very, very likely that he will end up playing for the Spurs next year on his qualifying offer of about 2.7 Million...

Keepin' it real
06-20-2012, 03:20 PM
This one's easy:

If the Spurs ARE NOT serious about competing for an NBA title next season, re-sign Danny Green.

If the Spurs ARE serious about competing for an NBA title next season, do not re-sign Danny Green.

He showed in the WCF that he is a mental midget, ala Matt Bonner. That kind of mental weakness is a cancer on a team with title aspirations, especially since you would figure he would be a starter again next season. His disappearing act destroyed the Spurs rotation vs. OKC. I, for one, don't want the Spurs to be stupid enough to let him screw the Spurs again.

Cow Eye
06-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Danny Green is a curiosity to me. He played so well for so long, even stretching into the playoffs. But what happened to him against OKC definitely seems more than just a slump, and I agree it seemed that he cracked under the pressure.

I would be inclined to give him another chance, god knows Bonner has had multiple chances, to see if he has matured mentally. If he screwed it up again though, then I'd be on the dump-him bandwagon.

Edit: Also, the fact that he crashed and burned in the semi's will let us sign him for cheaper.

Legacy
06-20-2012, 03:29 PM
So Bonner gets a crapload (literally :p:) of chances, and Green only gets ONE and he's DONE?? ... That's some good stuff right there. :lol

Keepin' it real
06-20-2012, 03:35 PM
So Bonner gets a crapload of chances, and Green only gets ONE and he's DONE?? That's some good stuff right there. :lol

Bonner should have had ZERO chances. The fact that he was given several does not change the fact that Green is unquestionably a choker. The fact that Green's a starter (instead of a role player coming off the bench) makes his choking much more problematic.

Chuck Barkley harped on this during the WCF. When Pop sat Green and started Manu, it contributed significantly to the deterioration of the Spurs' rotations and their supposed strength (their bench).

Spurs7794
06-20-2012, 03:45 PM
People are so quick to bash a player. Everyone knew Bonner was a choker because he played scared and looked scared.
Green just got into a slump. It wasn't until game 5 and 6 where he started passing up shots and really hurting the Spurs. Instaed of sticking by what got them there, Pop panicked and took him out of the starting lineup for those games which killed his confidence. None of this tells me he choked. He just played poorly. Resign him.

Legacy
06-20-2012, 03:47 PM
:cry ... I'll always be TOO DAMN REAL for anybody on ST to handle... and I've even got the username and the T-Shirt to prove it, you dumb-ass homers... :cry :sleep

Maddog
06-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Danny Green is a curiosity to me. He played so well for so long, even stretching into the playoffs. But what happened to him against OKC definitely seems more than just a slump, and I agree it seemed that he cracked under the pressure.

I would be inclined to give him another chance, god knows Bonner has had multiple chances, to see if he has matured mentally. If he screwed it up again though, then I'd be on the dump-him bandwagon.

Edit: Also, the fact that he crashed and burned in the semi's will let us sign him for cheaper.

I tend to agree
I'm in favor of giving him another chance-as long as he come cheap (and he should after that playoff ending). He does a lot good things and in all reality this was his rookie season

Legacy
06-20-2012, 03:51 PM
People are so quick to bash a player. Everyone knew Bonner was a choker because he played scared and looked scared.
Green just got into a slump. It wasn't until game 5 and 6 where he started passing up shots and really hurting the Spurs. Instaed of sticking by what got them there, Pop panicked and took him out of the starting lineup for those games which killed his confidence. None of this tells me he choked. He just played poorly. Resign him.

Keepin' it real
06-20-2012, 03:56 PM
lol "slump"

pad300
06-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Danny Green's Shooting percentages this year
http://i49.tinypic.com/s66f83.jpg

A six game moving average of Danny Green's Shooting percentage this year
http://i46.tinypic.com/2cpai3q.jpg

Look at them! He's an ungodly streaky shooter
His Average FG% was 0.413, with a standard deviation of 0.218
(overall FG% was 0.438 - ie he took more shots when he was shooting well...)
His Average 3pt% was 0.394, with a standard deviation of 0.305
(overall 3pt% was 0.418 - again he took more 3's when he was hitting them).

His series against the Thunder is not a choke, it's reversion to the mean. Especially after looking at the 6 game weighted average at games 20 and 49... was he somehow choking against the huge pressure 20 and 49 games into a 62 game season?!? Until his shooting gets less streaky, he's not going to be a game breaker, but give the kid a chance...If only because not giving him a chance means our capspace situation is really quite fucked.

pad300
06-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Man those graphs came out big, but I don't see how to make them smaller.

therealtruth
06-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Bonner should have had ZERO chances. The fact that he was given several does not change the fact that Green is unquestionably a choker. The fact that Green's a starter (instead of a role player coming off the bench) makes his choking much more problematic.

Chuck Barkley harped on this during the WCF. When Pop sat Green and started Manu, it contributed significantly to the deterioration of the Spurs' rotations and their supposed strength (their bench).

Exactly. Green helped balance the rotation and provided defense. In fact I would have liked Pop to have tried Green at the 3. He played well as a 3 against the Clippers.

LASToog36
06-20-2012, 10:42 PM
if u all are happy with making it to the wcf and thats about it then yahhh we should keep him...if he was a lock down defender like sefelosha than yahhh.. but since hes just barely above average we atleast need him to create a shot off the dribble and not be a panzy... if were gonna win we need more aggressive ballers...just sayin

K-State Spur
06-21-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm all for signing and trading Green. He's another choker and I want to rid the team of those guys this off-season.

there's a long list of solid role playoff performers who didn't perform well in their first regular postseason minutes. shane battier, who has been clutch the past 2 postseasons, was shit his first 3 times in the postseason.

THERE IS A REASON THAT POP (and other coaches) LIKED TO SURROUND HIS STARS WITH PROVEN VETS. They're more likely to deliver when the game is on the line. Young guys often struggle in their first couple go arounds. We can't have it both ways - we can't ask the team to get younger/more athletic and add proven playoff winners.

and - for the record - Green was NAILS in round 1 & 2. the LAC series easily could have gone 6 games if not for his shooting.

while Green will never be the caliber of player that SJax would, it should be noted that this board would have (and maybe did) called Mr. Clutch a playoff choker until midway through the Dallas series in his first run. He was AWFUL against LAL. But he had Manu to step up behind him and perform in that series, then he got it together later.

K-State Spur
06-21-2012, 07:37 AM

Yeah, and Bonner's given us 4 playoffs worth of data to prove it as well.

He's never had a 2 series stretch like Green did against UTA & LAC.

mountainballer
06-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Green was more or less a rookie this season, with just 28 games under his belt coming into this season.

so let's evaluate him as if he just played his 1st season. from this point of view his season looked pretty good for me. his most obvious problem was his shooting inconsistensy. he isn't the first rookie to struggle in this department. (IMO it's mainly the problem to adjust to differnt defenders every game). it's not that he can't shoot. he can. obviously. if he can improve this, he will be a very helpful role player in the Raja Bell mold.

he had some very good games vs. Jazz and Clippers. if Spurs don't play the Thunder, people here would call it a priority to re sign him (outside the Duncan re signing) and would propose contracts comparing to full MLE offers. Green was awful vs. Thunder. this happens. still two good PO series vs. one bad.

re sign him for something like 3 years / 10 million. he is worth that price. if he get's more somewhere else, let him go.

Duncan2177
06-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Trade Green To Boston For The 21st Pick

Boston want him. We dont really need him with De Colo coming over. We could land Fab Melo with the 21st pick. He may be the next Tyson Chandler. No "O", but all "D", rebounding and shot blocking. Throw in Bonner or Blair if need be. Hopefully they would take Bonner off our hands. Both are expendable with Lorbek coming over.

2012 Roster:

PG: Parker, Neal, Joseph

SG: Manu, De Colo

SF: Leonard, Jackson

PF: Diaw, Lorbek

C: Duncan, Splitter, Melo

Maybe: Blair, Bonner, Byars

If we can trade Bonner or Blair away it will allow us to bring in Hanga and/or Richards to the D-League and call up in spots.

racm
06-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Has to be a sign and trade though.

Hm, so my suspicions that his problem was his hot streak cooling instead if choking like Bonner are true.