PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else disappointed in music now adays?

lebomb
06-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Everything is electronic and sounds the same. There arent any more real bands (unless its country/hard rock/Jazz)......but mainstream top 40 music sucks big time. You dont even see groups singing with more than one person anymore. What happened to harmony? Boys II Men, UNV, Back street faggots...........etc.? There really isnt any talent out there. Noone plays instruments as much either. I miss the good ol days when you had to really be able to sing (not electronically enhanced) and you had a band behind you that played drums, horns, guitar. Discuss and vent if you would like. :wakeup

clambake
06-20-2012, 11:07 AM
polka

Bigzax
06-20-2012, 11:42 AM
not a party rock fan huh?

leemajors
06-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Everything is electronic and sounds the same. There arent any more real bands (unless its country/hard rock/Jazz)......but mainstream top 40 music sucks big time. You dont even see groups singing with more than one person anymore. What happened to harmony? Boys II Men, UNV, Back street faggots...........etc.? There really isnt any talent out there. Noone plays instruments as much either. I miss the good ol days when you had to really be able to sing (not electronically enhanced) and you had a band behind you that played drums, horns, guitar. Discuss and vent if you would like. :wakeup

you and silverblackmystikal should form a band, bro

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2012, 12:37 PM
And I have the perfect name. Troll Support.

BacktoBasics
06-20-2012, 12:40 PM
The problem is radio, TV and general media not a lack of talented artist and musicians. I have a few hundred GBs of music and maybe a tenth of that is regular radio play. There is more music now than there ever was. Its also more accessible you just got look for it. The days of being spoon fed good music are over.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-22-2012, 12:48 PM
So do you give new music, be it genres you're into or not, a "fair" chance or do you just dismiss it as a whole simply by going off clips or songs on the radio or however you listen to your music. I understand people have different/personal tastes in music and I'm not challenging that. I'm simply asking why people say certain music sucks. The OP stated that no one plays instruments as much any more and I'm guessing that's why he's disappointed with music these days. I don't believe that's a factual statement at all. Someone has to create music to make music, be it good or bad music. There's plenty of artists out there that play their instrument and I'm not speaking of the one that holds an unplugged guitar and strums and points to the crowd. I don't know if you're disappointed on account of the instrumentation or what. There's acoustic and electronic instruments. Acoustic ones have stayed the same but electronic instruments have come a lonnnnnnng way since their inception. I know there's "purists" that swear by acoustic instruments but I dont think thats a valid reason to say something sucks because it differs from what you're accustomed to. Again, I'm not trying to challenge your preference. There's quite a few artists that I've said in the past "sucked" but I'd do that not really checking out their stuff. For almost all of them, I'd ask myself why I never checked them out earlier and that spans across many different genres. I know everyone has their own criteria why they like certain music and why they don't but I'm just curious if the "suck" label is given out of haste or if an actual "trial" is done with an artist's music.

leemajors
06-22-2012, 01:00 PM
So do you give new music, be it genres you're into or not, a "fair" chance or do you just dismiss it as a whole simply by going off clips or songs on the radio or however you listen to your music. I understand people have different/personal tastes in music and I'm not challenging that. I'm simply asking why people say certain music sucks. The OP stated that no one plays instruments as much any more and I'm guessing that's why he's disappointed with music these days. I don't believe that's a factual statement at all. Someone has to create music to make music, be it good or bad music. There's plenty of artists out there that play their instrument and I'm not speaking of the one that holds an unplugged guitar and strums and points to the crowd. I don't know if you're disappointed on account of the instrumentation or what. There's acoustic and electronic instruments. Acoustic ones have stayed the same but electronic instruments have come a lonnnnnnng way since their inception. I know there's "purists" that swear by acoustic instruments but I dont think thats a valid reason to say something sucks because it differs from what you're accustomed to. Again, I'm not trying to challenge your preference. There's quite a few artists that I've said in the past "sucked" but I'd do that not really checking out their stuff. For almost all of them, I'd ask myself why I never checked them out earlier and that spans across many different genres. I know everyone has their own criteria why they like certain music and why they don't but I'm just curious if the "suck" label is given out of haste or if an actual "trial" is done with an artist's music.

i think you are right and this is the sticking point. Just like Mingus hated the electric bass, and jazz purists turned on Miles when he plugged in.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Hour 2

sick

http://www.npr.org/2005/08/23/4182988/brian-wilsons-smile-live-in-concert

yet poppier than popovich

If you like the beach boys you should check out Jellyfish, if you haven't already. Spilt Milk in particular.

silverblk mystix
06-22-2012, 04:32 PM
And I have the perfect name. Troll Support.

I like

Sheeple Jerk-off

better....kinda has a ring to it...

z0sa
06-22-2012, 04:48 PM
If you don't like today's music, you have 70+ previous years of recordings to choose from.

redzero
06-22-2012, 04:54 PM
More nostalgiafaggotry.

Clipper Nation
06-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Mainstream hip hop is dead tbh... other than J Cole, Kanye, Jay-Z, and Common... underground is where it's at... these cats on the radio these days write the same boring bars over the same techno beats, all jocking the steez that KANYE started in 07 tbh...

Wild Cobra Kai
06-23-2012, 09:56 AM
The problem is radio, TV and general media not a lack of talented artist and musicians. I have a few hundred GBs of music and maybe a tenth of that is regular radio play. There is more music now than there ever was. Its also more accessible you just got look for it. The days of being spoon fed good music are over.

If you don't like today's music, you have 70+ previous years of recordings to choose from.

This, and nowadays is one word.

Trainwreck2100
06-23-2012, 11:05 AM
http://i.imgur.com/H3PMy.png

redzero
06-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Unfunny reddit-like humor.

HeatChamps
06-24-2012, 12:52 PM
The talent went to progressive rock/metal.

Avante
06-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Nothing wrong with...

Ben Harper
Amos Lee
Chris Thomas King
Harry Manx
Ray Lamotagne
Mark Lemhouse
Michael Younger
Derek Trucks
Kenny Wayne Shepard