PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Trade Thread:

ace3g
06-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress

New Orleans trades Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza to Washington for Rashard Lewis and the #46 pick. (damn you auto-correct)

ernest787
06-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Great trade for new Orleans

A 22 million expiring or can amnesty Lewis if they prefer.

#1 pick.
#10 pick
And can resign Gordon with lots of cap space

Interesting

Nathan89
06-20-2012, 01:31 PM

New Orleans trades Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza to Washington for Rashard Lewis and the #46 pick. (damn you auto-correct)

Great trade for NO.

Emeka and Nene is a front court. Not sure if they are a great pairing.

lurker23
06-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Great trade for new Orleans

A 22 million expiring or can amnesty Lewis if they prefer.

#1 pick.
#10 pick
And can resign Gordon with lots of cap space

Interesting

You can't amnesty guys you acquire via trade. Only guys who were under contract with your team prior to the lockout.

Pelicans78
06-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Hornets can buy out Lewis for 13 million before July 1st. If they do, it will save them 30 million in cap space. This is a great trade by Demps.

lmbebo
06-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Not a bad trade. Guess that kills the "trade for Okafur" thread.

Nathan89
06-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Hornets can buy out Lewis for 13 million before July 1st. If they do, it will save them 30 million in cap space. This is a great trade by Demps.

He could have had Scola and K.Martin taking up cap space for the next 3-4 years. Good thing Stern saved the team.

ace3g
06-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Hopefully next tweet is:

Spurs trade Matt Bonner to ....

lmbebo
06-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Hopefully next tweet is:

to the Bobcats for a conditional 2021 3rd round draft pick and a pack cheetos.

TimmehC

This. Dell is doin' work.

ernest787
You can't amnesty guys you acquire via trade. Only guys who were under contract with your team prior to the lockout.

My understanding may be off but I thought as long as u had not used your amnesty you could amnesty a player that you acquired via trade as long as they were on a pre lock out contract

If I'm wrong it's still a great trade due to the expiring contract or as mentioned above the ability to buy him out.

Interested to see what the hornets do with cap space

Pelicans78
06-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Hornets can't amnesty Lewis, but they can buy him out for 13 million instead of paying him 23 million.

Bruno
06-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Good move by the Hornets. They are rebuilding and Okafor/Ariza weren't part of the process. Next step for them is to tank too 2012/2013 to get another good pick in the 2013 draft before using their capspace in the 2013 free agency.

I don't get it for Wizards. Oklafor makes especially little sense while they have Nene and Seraphin.

TD 21
06-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Good move by the Hornets. They are rebuilding and Okafor/Ariza weren't part of the process. Next step for them is to tank too 2012/2013 to get another good pick in the 2013 draft before using their capspace in the 2013 free agency.

I don't get it for Wizards. Oklafor makes especially little sense while they have Nene and Seraphin.

I think they want to surround Wall with mature, established veterans. Plus, not that Ariza is anything special, but between him and Singleton, this frees them up to draft Beal third. A Wall-Beal-Ariza-Nene-Okafor starting five, in the East, isn't that bad, so long as Wall and Beal come at least close to living up to their potential.

Nene and Okafor can play together, because Nene's got the mid range shot and mobility to play the four, though it'll be more difficult as he ages. But, in two years Okafor's deal is up anyway, so they can let him walk and move Nene back to the five full time then. Between those two, Vesely, Booker and Seraphin, this guarantees Blatche being amnestied (if it wasn't to begin with), I would think.

iManu
06-20-2012, 02:29 PM
I think they want to surround Wall with mature, established veterans. Plus, not that Ariza is anything special, but between him and Singleton, this frees them up to draft Beal third. A Wall-Beal-Ariza-Nene-Okafor starting five, in the East, isn't that bad, so long as Wall and Beal come at least close to living up to their potential.

Nene and Okafor can play together, because Nene's got the mid range shot and mobility to play the four, though it'll be more difficult as he ages. But, in two years Okafor's deal is up anyway, so they can let him walk and move Nene back to the five full time then. Between those two, Vesely, Booker and Seraphin, this guarantees Blatche being amnestied (if it wasn't to begin with), I would think.

I like your logic.

:hat:hat Blatche thread! :hat:hat

:wakeup

SamoanTD
06-20-2012, 03:07 PM
See I told yall we werent going to get that trade.

tesseractive
06-20-2012, 03:32 PM

Good analysis. :tu

Lately, the Wiz have had to trade some of their prospects (e.g. McGee) just because the team was collectively so immature that none of them were developing well. So this makes perfect sense as a continuation of that.

ajballer4
06-20-2012, 04:43 PM
I think another part of the Wiz's thinking is to surround Wall with some veteran talent and if he still doesn't get better, it may be time to realize he is a good player, but not of superstar potential.

elemento
06-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Hopefully next tweet is:

The Raps for a 2nd round pick

CGD
06-20-2012, 05:38 PM
I actually like this trade for the Wiz too:

Wall
Singleton
Ariza
Nene
Okafor

Major upgrade from last year's roster. They have some other interesting young players too + the 3rd pick this year. Now if they can just get rid of Blatche. . .

Seventyniner
06-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Now the question is: what sweetener could the Spurs offer NO to trade Bonner into their cap space? Like Bruno said, they're not likely tie up much of their cap space this season into long-term contracts.

Actually, this becomes more feasible if the Hornets have trouble getting up to the salary floor, which is higher than in past seasons. Shamsports appears to be down, though, so I can't check the Hornets' salaries for 2012-2013.

TimmehC
06-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Now the question is: what sweetener could the Spurs offer NO to trade Bonner into their cap space? Like Bruno said, they're not likely tie up much of their cap space this season into long-term contracts.

Actually, this becomes more feasible if the Hornets have trouble getting up to the salary floor, which is higher than in past seasons. Shamsports appears to be down, though, so I can't check the Hornets' salaries for 2012-2013.

If they buy out Lewis(very likely), they should be around $26M in committed salaries.

Andthentherewas21
06-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Great basketball move, but poor financial investment. $13 million for some guy you have no intention of having play on your team, so you can free up capspace to pay other people to play. They essentially traded to give him the equivalent of an amnesty.

Big P
06-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Great basketball move, but poor financial investment. $13 million for some guy you have no intention of having play on your team, so you can free up capspace to pay other people to play. They essentially traded to give him the equivalent of an amnesty.

It was better than paying EO for 2 more years at $28 mil and TA $15 for 2 more years....it was a brilliant financial move.

Andthentherewas21
06-20-2012, 09:08 PM
It was better than paying EO for 2 more years at $28 mil and TA $15 for 2 more years....it was a brilliant financial move.

Unless you do it to sign an oft-injured Eric Gordon to a max contract and go out and overpay Chris Kaman to stay. Its not brilliant until you know what they do with the savings

Wild Cobra Kai
06-20-2012, 09:08 PM
My understanding may be off but I thought as long as u had not used your amnesty you could amnesty a player that you acquired via trade as long as they were on a pre lock out contract

If I'm wrong it's still a great trade due to the expiring contract or as mentioned above the ability to buy him out.

Interested to see what the hornets do with cap space
Nope. They have to be a pre-lockout contract signed by YOUR team. Once a player is traded, they cannot be amnestied.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Spurs should consider Amere S. Knicks trying to dump him, Bad long term but short term would give us a shot next year.

Spurs will never take on a contract they can't get medical insurance on. A'm'a'r'e is red flagged.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Spurs should consider Amere S. Knicks trying to dump him, Bad long term but short term would give us a shot next year.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/129/577/How+About+No.jpg?1307079577

Big P
06-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Unless you do it to sign an oft-injured Eric Gordon to a max contract and go out and overpay Chris Kaman to stay. Its not brilliant until you know what they do with the savings

Savings is savings....and how would you know how EG's career is going to end up or that the Hornets are going to overpay Kaman?

Seventyniner
06-20-2012, 11:13 PM
If they buy out Lewis(very likely), they should be around $26M in committed salaries.

Thanks. I think the floor is now 90% of the cap, or around $45M. If that $26M is spread out amongst 8-9 players, they'll have to add a good bit more. They might do something like the Warriors did and sign Kwame Brown (or someone else) to a 1-year/$7M contract to preserve the 2013 cap space. Since Bonner can be waived next summer and only have to be paid $1M, I could see the Hornets absorbing his salary if the Spurs make it worth their while. I just wonder what it would take, and if it would be too much.

maverick1948
06-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Floor on cap is 90% of 58 Mill or 52 Mill. The Hornets have about 29 (16 mil plus Lewis buyout of 13). Gordon is going to cost them as someone will make an offer. I guess about 7 Mil for Gordon. The #1 and #10 picks will cost 6.2 M total. If they keep the 2nd round pick on the team, it will cost about .5 M. That makes a total of 10 players on contract at a total of 42+ or -. They need a minimum of 4 more players and 10 mil to meet the NBA requirements on cap and roster. This tells me that the salary cap is going to come into play after next season and not this year. Demps is going to work like RC and Pop to have a great team and not destroy the salary cap.

We should offer Bonner for the 46th pick. Maybe Kyle O'Quinn will still be avaiable for us to draft and maybe Bernard James at the 59. Couldn't hurt to make offer.

One other thing the Hornets can do. Offer Jack and #10 pick and 2013 protected 1st round for Deron Williams on a sign and trade.

:toast

ace3g
06-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA

The Houston Rockets are shopping Samuel Dalembert, according to sources. He may be packaged with one of Houston's first-round picks.

Sam Amick

As @alexkennedynba noted, Houston is indeed shopping C Samuel Dalembert to attach w/ one of its picks (14 & 16) & move up. He has $1.5 mil buyout for next season.

Duncan2177
06-21-2012, 05:15 PM
It looks like the Houston Rockets have a deal in the works to move Sam Dalembert and possibly the 16th pick.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Agloco
06-21-2012, 05:32 PM

The trade was brilliant, future moves obviously non-withstanding.

ace3g
06-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Report: Houston Rockets trying to trade for Top 10 pick in NBA Draft

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/46492/rockets-set-sights-on-moving-up-in-draft

ginobili fan
06-25-2012, 05:36 AM
shitty move by the hornets.
F**** Rashard uugly ass lewis with his 20mil contracts amnesty sucks,nba sucks,lebron sucks,New orleans sucks, anyway who cares ?

loveforthegame
06-26-2012, 09:15 AM
» Update: 10:01 AM

Adrian Wojnarowski: Minnesota has agreed to trade the 18th overall pick in Thursday's draft to Houston for Chase Budinger, league sources tell Y! Sports. Twitter

JonNOKC
06-26-2012, 09:21 AM

Adrian Wojnarowski: Minnesota has agreed to trade the 18th overall pick in Thursday's draft to Houston for Chase Budinger, league sources tell Y! Sports. Twitter

Wow - like Chase but in deep draft surprise that is all it took to get the 18th pick - guess it boils down to taken a proven commodity vs the unknown, and not like Minnesota's scouts/GM should have much confidence in their ability to draft the right guy

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Wow - like Chase but in deep draft surprise that is all it took to get the 18th pick - guess it boils down to taken a proven commodity vs the unknown, and not like Minnesota's scouts/GM should have much confidence in their ability to draft the right guy

Wolves didn't need another rookie on their roster, they need someone with experience (though Budinger doesn't have a whole lot of it). And Houston is trying to load up picks to offer Orlando for Dwight.

DPG21920
06-26-2012, 09:33 AM
If Chase is worth the 18th pick you have to think Tiago is at least in that ballpark value wise depending on team need.

JonNOKC
06-26-2012, 09:42 AM
If Chase is worth the 18th pick you have to think Tiago is at least in that ballpark value wise depending on team need.

I was thinking the same thing - I initially scoffed at Tiago getting us a back end lottery pick but may not be that far fetched

afireinside20
06-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Any way we could get Adam Morrison on our squad?

Richie
06-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Budinger for 18? Hopefully we have ambitions for a higher pick or could have given them better

pad300
06-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I was thinking the same thing - I initially scoffed at Tiago getting us a back end lottery pick but may not be that far fetched

Not to mention Blair might get you to the mid to late 20's. Nicholson or Wroten territory...

loveforthegame
06-26-2012, 11:04 AM
The Kings need to shake things up. I can see them accepting.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221719/Rockets_Offer_Lowry_14th_16th_Picks_To_Kings_For_E vans_5th_Selection

The Rockets have offered Kyle Lowry along with the No. 14 and No. 16 picks to the Kings in exchange for Tyreke Evans and the No. 5 pick.

Sacramento is currently deciding whether to accept the offer.

Via Jonathan Givony/DraftExpress (via Twitter)

CGD
06-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Budinger for 18? Hopefully we have ambitions for a higher pick or could have given them better

David Khan at his finest.

stxspurs
06-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Any way we could get Adam Morrison on our squad?

Your kidding right?

timvp
06-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Budinger for 18 helps us figure how much the Spurs players are worth. Splitter has to have more value than Budinger, so he's probably worth somewhere in the 12-14 range. Budinger is more valuable than Blair and Neal so those two are probably second rounders with an outside shot at a very late first rounder if another team is enamored.

JonNOKC
06-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Budinger for 18 helps us figure how much the Spurs players are worth. Splitter has to have more value than Budinger, so he's probably worth somewhere in the 12-14 range. Budinger is more valuable than Blair and Neal so those two are probably second rounders with an outside shot at a very late first rounder if another team is enamored.

One thing I wonder is if you have to put an asterisk on this because it was David Kahn - I guess in the end it only takes one GM to feel a player is worth a certain spots - but certainly doesn't hurt to be able to tell another team hey this guy got the 18th pick and my guy is a little better and big man are harder to find

gambit1990
06-26-2012, 02:09 PM

as soon as i saw budinger for 18 it had me thinking splitter could go for 12.

8FOR!3
06-26-2012, 04:02 PM
You've got to think if you can get anything around pick 15 for Splitter you'd do it. There's so many potentially good bigs in this draft. You might have the opportunity to draft someone younger, more athletic, with higher upside. Splitter's talented no doubt, but I almost think he's more fit for European play. That's not disregarding basketball in Europe, that's just saying it's a different style of play.

spurraider21
06-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Great deal for the Hornets. Eric Gordon is a stud to build around and they have all the financial flexibility in the world

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-26-2012, 04:22 PM
I like Splitter...but pull the trigger if possible. Please.

Beanzamillion21
06-26-2012, 04:30 PM
I like Splitter...but pull the trigger if possible. Please.

agreed.

TD 21
06-26-2012, 04:30 PM

"Has to have" isn't strong enough; absolutely, unequivocally has, is more like it. And significantly so. You're still undervaluing him at 12-14. 10-12 is more like it.

Blair could very well be worth a late 1st, but if he's not, he's worth two 2nds, at least one of which within' the first five picks. Neal is probably worth an early 2nd.

Kidd K
06-26-2012, 04:41 PM

Amazing trade for the Wizards. They really ripped them off imo.

I wish we could've traded for those guys.

I think it's terrible for New Orleans though because they could've gotten a hell of a lot more than that for Okafor. Lewis is garbage and ridiuclously overpriced. His contract is toxic too since he's practically 6x overpaid at this point and getting nearly as much as Kobe.

Okafor is worth 5x as much as Lewis imo. Much cheaper, and at least 3x better on the floor. So they can simply trade him and get plenty back, keep him and have a great frontcourt rotation, or trade one of their other, inferior bigs and keep Okafor.

Kidd K
06-26-2012, 04:45 PM

Just proves my point when I was saying Blair is worth a hell of a lot more than getting packaged with a second rounder for a mere 27th pick. Told you guys that shit was a dumb idea. . .

If Budinger can get an 18th round pick, Blair can at least get a 20th-22nd pick imo. By himself.

gambit1990
06-26-2012, 04:52 PM
i would like to flip splitter and blair for john henson.

Nathan89
06-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Amazing trade for the Wizards. They really ripped them off imo.

I wish we could've traded for those guys.

I think it's terrible for New Orleans though because they could've gotten a hell of a lot more than that for Okafor. Lewis is garbage and ridiuclously overpriced. His contract is toxic too since he's practically 6x overpaid at this point and getting nearly as much as Kobe.

Okafor is worth 5x as much as Lewis imo. Much cheaper, and at least 3x better on the floor. So they can simply trade him and get plenty back, keep him and have a great frontcourt rotation, or trade one of their other, inferior bigs and keep Okafor.

No. Okafor has a multi-year terrible contract. Lewis is on the last year of his terrible contract. That's why New Orleans made the deal and it was a great deal for them.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-26-2012, 05:34 PM
What teams are in the draft that would want splitter?

And what players might be available at those picks that would be a good spurs fit

Spurs da champs
06-26-2012, 05:37 PM
What teams are in the draft that would want splitter?

Boston, Indiana & possibly Golden State.

Nathan89
06-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Portland #11 or Buck #12, seem like the best fits for Splitter.

Andthentherewas21
06-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Portland #11 or Buck #12, seem like the best fits for Splitter.

Portland in particular because Lamarcus Aldridge has said he doesn't like playing the 5, and if they want a chance at Nash they are going to have to show that the team isn't in rebuild mode.

TimmehC
06-26-2012, 06:36 PM
i would like to flip splitter and blair for john henson.

Dude needs to put on some muscle, but he's basically Unibrow-lite. I like it.

Thomas82
06-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Dude needs to put on some muscle, but he's basically Unibrow-lite. I like it.

I want Andre Drummond myself if we can get him. If not, I would be cool with Meyers Leonard, John Henson, or Perry Jones.

Richie
06-26-2012, 07:00 PM
I don't think splitter gets a lottery pick because there are better Cs in the lottery than him. Why trade for splitter when you can take Leonard or Henson?

ace3g
06-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Detroit has traded Ben Gordon and a protected future first-round pick to Charlotte for Corey Maggette, league sources tell Y! Sports.

For Detroit, deal to ship out Gordon saves them nearly $15 million on the final two years of his contract. Maggette has an expiring deal.

The deal sends Detroit's 2013 first-round pick to Charlotte with lottery protection, sources tell Y!

loveforthegame
06-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Weird trade for the Bobcats.

Mel_13
06-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Even the Golden State FO thinks that Charlotte spent too much to acquire that 1st round pick.

gambit1990
06-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Weird trade for the Bobcats.

spurraider21
06-26-2012, 07:35 PM
We keep talking about amnestying or trading bonnet. The only thing we can do is wait for jax's and manu's contracts to expire after this season. Don't expect huge moves. Well probably retain Diaw and Green and bring in lorbek but that's about it

timvp
06-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Golden State absorbed ~$12 million for the 30th pick in the draft.

Charlotte absorbed $15 million for a shot at a lottery lottery pick a couple years from now.

Charlotte made the better trade out of those two ... but not a very good trade unless Gordon still has some value left.

timvp
06-26-2012, 08:04 PM
"Has to have" isn't strong enough; absolutely, unequivocally has, is more like it.
The hell did I just read.

Dex
06-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Well, first Charlotte needs to worry about getting OUT of the lottery if they want that pick, tbh.

Dex
06-26-2012, 08:06 PM

He thinks you think he doesn't know what you think you know...I think.

CGD
06-26-2012, 08:20 PM
First thing that came to mind with that Houston trade is that they are going to package the 14 & 18 for a top five pick.

Duncan2177
06-26-2012, 08:33 PM
We keep talking about amnestying or trading bonnet. The only thing we can do is wait for jax's and manu's contracts to expire after this season. Don't expect huge moves. Well probably retain Diaw and Green and bring in lorbek but that's about it

:vomit:

ace3g
06-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Clippers discussing possible trade for Lamar Odom. ESPN linkage: http://es.pn/MS58xS

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA

Teams are inquiring about Anderson Varejao, but the Cleveland Cavaliers haven't been impressed with any of the offers they've received.

iManu
06-27-2012, 04:25 AM
Charlotte absorbed $15 million for a shot at a lottery lottery pick a couple years from now.

I thought that it was lottery protected, Doc?

Maybe I'm confused, but I feel like Charlotte is already trying to sabotage themselves, but I don't admire their position in having to take what I think is a gamble on Robinson.

ace3g
06-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard

Lots of teams calling Denver to trade for Nuggets' young players. 1of several moves being discussed: Wil Chandler to G State for 7th pick

loveforthegame
06-27-2012, 12:06 PM
I assume GS would be sending out a wing if they're getting Chandler?

elemento
06-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Man am i the only one feeling that picks are worth shit in this draft ?

Chase freaking Budinger for the 18th and now Wilson Chandler for the 7th pick ? Really ?

If GS trades the 7th pick for Chandler they have the dumbest FO in the NBA by far. They paid 11m to get our shit 1st round pick and now they're gonna trade a nice lottery pick for Wilson Chandler?

ace3g
06-27-2012, 02:29 PM

Houston has traded Sam Dalembert as part of a package to Milwaukee, league sources tell Y!

Dalembert and the 14th pick go the Bucks for the 12th pick, Jon Brockman, Jon Leurer and Brockman, sources tell Y!

Shaun Livingston also goes to the Rockets as part of the package, sources tell Y!

gambit1990
06-27-2012, 02:35 PM

Houston has traded Sam Dalembert as part of a package to Milwaukee, league sources tell Y!

Dalembert and the 14th pick go the Bucks for the 12th pick, Jon Brockman, Jon Leurer and Brockman, sources tell Y!

Shaun Livingston also goes to the Rockets as part of the package, sources tell Y!

ace3g
06-27-2012, 02:41 PM

Yes, Brockman's so good, they traded him twice. Sorry. Livingston, Brockman and Leurer and 12th pick to Houston for Dalembert and 14th pick.

Houston holds the 12th, 16th and 18th picks in Thursday's draft now. They'll keep working to move up.

CGD
06-27-2012, 03:22 PM

Houston holds the 12th, 16th and 18th picks in Thursday's draft now. They'll keep working to move up.

Way to go Houston.

timvp
06-27-2012, 03:34 PM
I don't really get that trade for Milwaukee. Dalembert looks good on paper but he doesn't have a history of actually making teams better. There's a reason why ever team who has him is continuously looking to get rid of him. Then again, Milwaukee is the same team that got fooled by Drew Gooden so I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

IMO, Jon Leuer is the best player in the trade. He's a stretch four with an intriguing amount of talent who was already a legit rotation player as a rookie. If he improves at all, the Rockets got a major steal.

Maddog
06-27-2012, 03:53 PM
I don't really get that trade for Milwaukee. Dalembert looks good on paper but he doesn't have a history of actually making teams better. There's a reason why ever team who has him is continuously looking to get rid of him. Then again, Milwaukee is the same team that got fooled by Drew Gooden so I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

IMO, Jon Leuer is the best player in the trade. He's a stretch four with an intriguing amount of talent who was already a legit rotation player as a rookie. If he improves at all, the Rockets got a major steal.

It would make some sense if the bucks felt they had a legit chance to win a title next 2 years and needed that piece. Instead they have dropped two slots and got rid of a decent prospect.
One thought is that they hope they can flip him later or have another deal in mind. He is for trade purposes an expiring contract since the second year left is a team option.

CGD
06-27-2012, 04:10 PM
If there was any truth to Houston vein players for Dwight Howard, they now have some nice assets. We haven't heard the last from the rockets.

TD 21
06-27-2012, 05:27 PM

My saying, "Has to have" isn't strong enough; absolutely, unequivocally has, is more like it", was in response to you saying, "Splitter has to have more value than Budinger".

ace3g
06-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

Mo Williams will pick up '12-'13 option and accept trade to Utah, league source says.

Williams' decision completes trade sending Lamar Odom to Clippers without Mavs having to take back salary.

DPG21920
06-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Good move for the Clips - If Lamar is motivated, he adds even more length, skill and versatility to their front court. If he's not, well, they didn't lose too much IMO. You can find shooters and Bledsoe came on towards the end of the season somewhat.

I wonder if Lamar agreed to extend his deadline on his option so the Clips could waive him for only a portion of his contract or not?

ace3g
06-30-2012, 12:41 PM

ESPN sources: Rockets actively shopping Luis Scola in trade talks. Linkage: http://es.pn/OPuBxt

Mel_13
06-30-2012, 12:43 PM

ESPN sources: Rockets actively shopping Luis Scola in trade talks. Linkage: http://es.pn/OPuBxt

Here we go.....

DesignatedT
06-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Even though his game seems to be taking a hit with age I would have still liked Scola on the Spurs if his contract wasn't so ridiculous. But with 3 years 30 mil left no thanks.

lmbebo
06-30-2012, 12:48 PM
hrmm

Spurs send rockets Spanoulis, a future 2nd round pick and cash considerations to the Rockets for Scola and Jackie Butler.

Make it happen RC!

Big P
06-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Maybe they amnesty him..lol..wishful thinking....3 years $30+ mil...not gonna happen.

Bruno
06-30-2012, 04:49 PM
If Spurs want to add a PF with a bad contract, I would rather go with Tyrus Thomas than with Scola.

elemento
06-30-2012, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't go so as far as Bruno did with Tyrus freaking Thomas, but i don't want to be the team paying Scola 30m in the next 3 years.

His defense is horrible and he is coming from a down year getting 6 rebounds a game. That's pathetic.

The only way i see Scola coming to SA is in big trade involving 3/4 teams and we somehow get Scola for Jax's expiring or Bonner + some of our scrubs.

Other than that, i don't see SA offering someone like Splitter for him.

racm
06-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Scola would be nice to have if he weren't overpaid and old.

ace3g
06-30-2012, 08:22 PM

Brooklyn and Atlanta are engaged in talks on a possible Joe Johnson trade, sources tell Y! Nets plan would be to pair with Deron Williams.

Both Hawks and Nets are engaged in talks on several fronts. No deal close on Johnson, but sides have gone back and forth on possibility.

elemento
06-30-2012, 08:25 PM
I will be shocked if Brooklyn sends a re-signed Brook Lopez to Atlanta in exchange of Joe Johnson.

That would be a good move by Atlanta imo.

timtonymanu
06-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Alright now, this is what I call an offseason.

That draft was so boring with practically no trade talks.

CGD
06-30-2012, 08:38 PM

Brooklyn and Atlanta are engaged in talks on a possible Joe Johnson trade, sources tell Y! Nets plan would be to pair with Deron Williams.

Both Hawks and Nets are engaged in talks on several fronts. No deal close on Johnson, but sides have gone back and forth on possibility.

Danny Ferry at work! Executive of the year IMMEDIATELY if he unloads Joe Johnson piece of shit contract. I still cringe of the thought of that massive piece of crap. Baby Chee-ses

Andthentherewas21
06-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Desperation time for Brooklyn

Andthentherewas21
07-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Joe Johnson to the Nets for all the Nets you've never heard of

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8124182/brooklyn-nets-agree-trade-atlanta-hawks-joe-johnson-sources-say

CGD
07-02-2012, 05:59 PM
So let's say nets acquire JJ, does the CBA prevent them from turning around and trading JJ themselves at the feb deadline (say for Dwight)?

DPG21920
07-02-2012, 06:01 PM
No, they can trade JJ. But there is no way ORL would do that so it's moot.

ace3g
07-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Ferry is making moves:

Just going online and on SportsCenter: Hawks have agreed in principle to deal Marvin Williams to Utah for Devin Harris to shed even more $

Dex
07-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Even with Williams and Johnson, Nyets still probably only move to the middle of the pack. Wonder what else they have up their sleeves....

timvp
07-02-2012, 06:09 PM
I can't believe the Nets would do that. Turn down a chance of getting Dwight Howard while trading away a pick for the right's to absorb Joe Johnson's monstrous deal?

That might be the dumbest move I've ever heard. They were going to get D-Ho either by trade or in free agency next season. Instead, they commit salary cap suicide by trading for Joe Johnson?

That can't be real.

timvp
07-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Marvin Williams to Utah is pretty good news for the Spurs since that will hopefully stop them for bidding on Danny Green.

DPG21920
07-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Unless Danny Ferry now wants to bring in a more cap friendly player in Green to replace Marvin...

crc21209
07-02-2012, 06:15 PM
I can't believe the Nets would do that. Turn down a chance of getting Dwight Howard while trading away a pick for the right's to absorb Joe Johnson's monstrous deal?

That might be the dumbest move I've ever heard. They were going to get D-Ho either by trade or in free agency next season. Instead, they commit salary cap suicide by trading for Joe Johnson?

That can't be real.

The Nets just didnt have what Orlando wanted. Brooklyn already said that Orlando didnt want to deal with them, so they had to move on. You can't wait for a crybaby superstar forever...

loveforthegame
07-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Ferry doing an amazing job.

Maybe he'd like to help us by taking Bonner or Blair? Pretty please.

timvp
07-02-2012, 06:19 PM
The Nets just didnt have what Orlando wanted. Brooklyn already said that Orlando didnt want to deal with them, so they had to move on. You can't wait for a crybaby superstar forever...

His deal was expiring. At worst the Nets would have been the heavy favorites if they kept open the necessary salary cap room.

Howard is a championship caliber centepiece. Johnson, Wallace and even Williams are all scrubs compared to him.

DPG21920
07-02-2012, 06:21 PM
If Ferry trading away Marvin leads to him throwing a MLE type deal at Green that would suc and I can definitely see that happening unfortunately. While Ferry is doing well now, he is still Ferry and really likes Green.

AFBlue
07-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Utah dealing Harris for another forward is curious, but it's a smart move for ATL. Ferry just owning other GMs right now.

DPG21920
07-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Also, in thinking about it - there is no way that Deron didn't give them to OK. Maybe Deron is the one that soured on Dwight? Even if that is the case, as an organization you have to step in and run the ship and not let players (who only care about themselves and winning now) make decisions.

That is what happens when you are held hostage (which Nets feel like they are with Deron or bust).

DPG21920
07-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Utah dealing Harris for another forward is curious, but it's a smart move for ATL. Ferry just owning other GMs right now.

Depending on what they do. ATL was a playoff team, now they aren't anywhere close IMO (especially if they deal Smith for cap space and not talent). He has done a good job getting cap space, but he hasn't got any real young talent or high picks (the NJ trade was lottery protected I think) so it has to turn into something for it to matter.

Luckily, he has Horford still & Teague is at least some upside. I would probably keep Smith if I were them and build around Horford/Smith.

Mel_13
07-02-2012, 06:34 PM
If Ferry trading away Marvin leads to him throwing a MLE type deal at Green that would suc and I can definitely see that happening unfortunately. While Ferry is doing well now, he is still Ferry and really likes Green.

Could happen.

DPG21920
07-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Dwight/Horford :wow

blkroadrunners
07-02-2012, 06:36 PM
I still think ATL is a playoff team assuming Ferry doesn't trade Smith (most likely 5-8 seed though). JJ's overrated, and few of their star players were in-and-out of their lineup, mainly Horford most of the shortened season.

I'm curious how the 2013 off-season will look for them in whom they'll target.

TD 21
07-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Ferry is probably gearing up to take a run at Howard. Who cares if right now he "wouldn't commit beyond next season". They're home for him and they've got two of his best friends, in Smith and Morrow. Bring him in for a year, take the Nets out of the mix next summer and they'd probably have as good a chance by next summer (remember, Williams wasn't exactly thrilled to be a Net at first; now he's likely to re-sign with them). They also have a very solid package to offer, starting with Horford and Teague. For ancillary assets, they have two 1sts in the next draft and they're loaded with expiring contracts.

I'm hearing that the Mavs are now the team Howard wants to go to, but the reality is, they've got nothing of any significance to offer.

DPG21920
07-02-2012, 06:37 PM
I still think ATL is a playoff team assuming Ferry doesn't trade Smith (most likely 5-8 seed though). JJ's overrated, and few of their star players were in-and-out of their lineup, mainly Horford most of the shortened season.

I'm curious how the 2013 off-season will look for them in whom they'll target.

Well depending on how Teague develops, CP3 could definitely be in play. Dwight too.

DPG21920
07-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Ferry is probably gearing up to take a run at Howard. Who cares if he "wouldn't commit beyond next season". They're home for him and they've got two of his best friends, in Smith and Morrow. Bring him in for a year, take the Nets out of the mix next summer and they'd probably have at least a decent chance to re-sign him. They also have a very solid package to offer now, starting with Horford and Teague. For ancillary assets, they have two 1sts in the next draft and they're loaded with expiring contracts.

I'm hearing that the Mavs are now the team Howard wants to go to, but the reality is, they've got nothing of any significance to offer.

Nets are out of the mix now if the JJ deal goes through. ATL doesn't have to do anything for that to happen :lol

TD 21
07-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Nets are out of the mix now if the JJ deal goes through. ATL doesn't have to do anything for that to happen :lol

I know, that's why I said, "take the Nets out of the mix next summer".

Honestly, out of realistic trades (Clippers aren't trading Griffin), I don't see a better potential offer for Howard. Bynum is a major health risk and they lack secondary assets. Between Horford, Teague and a secondary asset or two, plus the potential to dump a contract such as Turkoglu or Richardson in the process, that's got to be very appealing to the Magic.

blkroadrunners
07-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Well depending on how Teague develops, CP3 could definitely be in play. Dwight too.

I wouldn't be suprised w/ Howard since he's from Atlanta.

DPG21920
07-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Why would ATL trade though? They will have a ton of cap space and if they can keep Horford and bring in Dwight (heck, maybe even Smith too) then you keep the assets. The only concern is if Dwight gets traded to Dallas (whom he says he will re-sign with, but they don't have assets) or LA (which definitely could happen).

Bruno
07-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Ferry did a great job at unloading JJ contract.

if they can keep their own free agents, Nets will have a good team. Williams/Johnson/Wallace/Humphries/Lopez is a damn nice starting five. Their bench is weak with only Marshon Brooks but they can still sign some good FAs with the MLE/LLE.

timvp
07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
The Nets did good work turning into the Hawks. 4th seed and out in the second round each season.

Bruno
07-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I agree with you that is hard to understand why they are repeatedly screwing their chance to get Howard with their trades for Wallace and JJ.

DPG21920
07-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Ferry did a great job at unloading JJ contract.

if they can keep their own free agents, Nets will have a good team. Williams/Johnson/Wallace/Humphries/Lopez is a damn nice starting five. Their bench is weak with only Marshon Brooks but they can still sign some good FAs with the MLE/LLE.

That cap space though....their core is aging and somewhat injury prone (Wallace and Brook). But they should be competitive. But unless they really click and get some nice value FA's, they will struggle. Definitely potential to be solid and definitely a playoff team if healthy, but was that their goal?

ace3g
07-03-2012, 02:59 PM

Brooklyn is finalizing a sign-and-trade deal with the Los Angeles Clippers for Reggie Evans, league sources tell Y! Sports.

DPG21920
07-03-2012, 03:15 PM
The intersting part about all of this Brooklyn stuff is that none of it has really eaten any cap space for this year (well at least before they signed Teletovic, now they have the apron to contend with).

You get caught up in what they are doing and it kills their cap for the future, but I didn't stop to think that before Teletovic, they had not done anything to their cap for this season.

CGD
07-03-2012, 04:45 PM
The intersting part about all of this Brooklyn stuff is that none of it has really eaten any cap space for this year (well at least before they signed Teletovic, now they have the apron to contend with).

You get caught up in what they are doing and it kills their cap for the future, but I didn't stop to think that before Teletovic, they had not done anything to their cap for this season.

I forget, did they have bird/early bird rights to Wallace?

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 04:47 PM
I forget, did they have bird/early bird rights to Wallace?

Full Bird Rights.

DPG21920
07-03-2012, 05:05 PM
So Brooklyn used their 3M TPE to get Reggie Evans.

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 05:06 PM
So Brooklyn used their 3M TPE to get Reggie Evans.

Only way to make that deal.

ace3g
07-04-2012, 12:07 PM

The Knicks have emerged as frontrunners to land Steve Nash in a sign-and-trade deal, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Knicks, Suns are in the critical stages of discussions on a sign-and-trade deal that would pay Nash $27M-$30M over 3 years, sources tell Y!

NY package would include Iman Shumpert, Toney Douglas and likely 3 low money players to get Nash salary needed to close gap on Toronto offer

CGD
07-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Not a bad move by the suns. It also helps that Nash is a character guy willing to do a sign an trade, since the new CBA really eliminates the player financial incentive to do it.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Not a bad move by the suns. It also helps that Nash is a character guy willing to do a sign an trade, since the new CBA really eliminates the player financial incentive to do it.

He's agreeing to a S&T to a team that can't offer him market value in order to leave the team offering him the most money empty-handed. If Nash does this, it's not to help Phoenix, it's because he prefers New York to Toronto.

timvp
07-04-2012, 12:17 PM
:lol Canada

elemento
07-04-2012, 12:25 PM
NY fans will be mad if NY gives the Suns Shumpert in the S&T for Nash. They overrate the kid like crazy.

And i gotta agree with Mel. Nash simply does that because he prefers NY over Toronto.

Not to mention that he leaves the Suns in very good terms by allowing them to get a few assets in a S&T scenario.

Bruno
07-04-2012, 01:21 PM
rofl Raptors.

Spurs should call them to offer Cory Joseph. Maybe they could get a couple of first round picks for him.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
rofl Raptors.

Spurs should call them to offer Cory Joseph. Maybe they could get a couple of first round picks for him.

:lol

We should offer our Canadian and our wannabe Canadian.

Bonner+Joseph+Byars for Amir Johnson

Bruno
07-04-2012, 02:09 PM
:lol

We should offer our Canadian and our wannabe Canadian.

Bonner+Joseph+Byars for Amir Johnson

Good idea to include Bonner. If they get both Bonner and Jospeh, they might even throw a presentation at their arena like Heat did with 2 summers ago.

ace3g
07-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Just going up online and via SportsCenter: Sources tell ESPN that Raptors are on verge of acquiring Rockets guard Kyle Lowry via trade

timvp
07-05-2012, 01:17 PM

Just going up online and via SportsCenter: Sources tell ESPN that Raptors are on verge of acquiring Rockets guard Kyle Lowry via trade

:lol Rockets imploding.

benefactor
07-05-2012, 01:33 PM
:lol PF's running the point

DPG21920
07-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Well from purely a PG perspective, if the were only able to keep one of Lowry/Dragic, getting Lin instead (from an upside perspective) is not that big of a difference to me overall. Lowry is solid, but who knows for how long. Goran has a lot of potential, but so does Lin.

But yeah, they had a rough off season so far.

benefactor
07-05-2012, 01:39 PM
David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
Rockets are telling people theyre guaranteed future Lottery pick from Toronto in Lowry deal (ESPN first), tho it's unclear how that happens.

rofl admitting they are tanking before the season starts

Mel_13
07-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Well from purely a PG perspective, if the were only able to keep one of Lowry/Dragic, getting Lin instead (from an upside perspective) is not that big of a difference to me overall. Lowry is solid, but who knows for how long. Goran has a lot of potential, but so does Lin.

But yeah, they had a rough off season so far.

Until the Knicks match on Lin.

timtonymanu
07-05-2012, 01:42 PM
http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/daryl-morey-2011-4-19-13-30-50.jpg

DPG21920
07-05-2012, 01:43 PM
David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
Rockets are telling people theyre guaranteed future Lottery pick from Toronto in Lowry deal (ESPN first), tho it's unclear how that happens.

rofl admitting they are tanking before the season starts

I think that is because they are doing some sort of stipulation on the pick that HOU does not get TOR's pick until that pick is a lottery pick.

So how they have the stipulations on traded picks in the opposite direction usually (if it's a lotto pick, it goes to the next year with slightly less stipulations and so on..), this one is the reverse of that seemingly.

DPG21920
07-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Until the Knicks will match on Lin.

Definitely a big possibility :lol

timtonymanu
07-05-2012, 01:57 PM

Toronto will send Gary Forbes to Houston with the protected first-round pick, league source tells Y!

MaNu4Tres
07-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Rockets and Mavs are prime examples of why cap space can be fools gold. Nothing is ever guaranteed with cap space. Spurs experienced this in 2003. If you whiff on the top free agents (which is most likely going to happen) you have to overpay for middle tier free agents who lose their market value fast in the trading market.

That is why I never really understand why fans get so obsessed with cap space. It can be irrelevant more often than not.

DPG21920
07-05-2012, 02:11 PM
I like cap space because of the flexibility it allows. It allows you to trade for known players that are pretty damn good for unknown values (draft picks) or little basketball value (expiring contracts) somtimes due to fit, money....

Mel_13
07-05-2012, 02:18 PM
I like cap space because of the flexibility it allows. It allows you to trade for known players that are pretty damn good for unknown values (draft picks) or little basketball value (expiring contracts) somtimes due to fit, money....

If you have the time to be patient, usually associated with no pressure or expectation to win, that is the ideal way to use cap space.

Like Presti, an extemely lucky guy, in 2007. Got Durant in the lottery and had zero pressure for the team to win for his first two full seasons (he may have had pressure from ownership to lose as much as possible that first season). He was able to accumulate draft picks and cap space without regard to current team success.

MaNu4Tres
07-05-2012, 02:21 PM

Cap space does give you options, but let's get real here. Most GM's create significant cap-space for a primary reason: To go after an elite superstar(s).

You don't need max-like cap space (which many fans are obsessed with) to have flexibility to make maneuvers like you mentioned.

I much rather use expirings to trade for known commodities and draft picks (imo). Because if you don't, you will most likely have to use that cap space to overpay for a so-so player that will you be trying to get rid of two years down the road. (this applies to small markets and teams that aren't really a desired destination from a contending standpoint).

ace3g
07-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Sixers acquire Wright from Warriors for draft pick

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-sixers/sixers-talk/Sixers-acquire-Wright-from-Warriors-for-?blockID=738194&feedID=694&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

timtonymanu
07-10-2012, 04:58 PM
lol Richard Jefferson still won't get playing time.

TD 21
07-10-2012, 05:12 PM
lol Richard Jefferson still won't get playing time.

How won't he? He might start at the beginning of the season (until Barnes is ready to take over), but even if he doesn't, he'll be their sixth man.

Weird trade by the 76ers, who already have plenty of depth at small forward (Iguodala, Young, Harkless) and need a backup point guard. I wonder if this is a prelude to the long rumored Iguodala trade.

BackHome
07-10-2012, 06:16 PM
I want AKC to come back to Utah and then do a sign and trade for him giving up SJ.

Mr. Body
07-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Rockets and Mavs are prime examples of why cap space can be fools gold. Nothing is ever guaranteed with cap space. Spurs experienced this in 2003. If you whiff on the top free agents (which is most likely going to happen) you have to overpay for middle tier free agents who lose their market value fast in the trading market.

That is why I never really understand why fans get so obsessed with cap space. It can be irrelevant more often than not.

What else were the Rockets supposed to do? They were annually a middle-of-the-road team, overachieving, good enough to just not make the playoffs. Either they took a big swing at a top free agent or two, or they had to blow up the team.

They whiffed on the former, and so have moved to the latter. They have to go for the top draft picks now.

tdunk21
07-11-2012, 07:24 PM
RT @DraftExpress: Ian Mahinmi (4 yrs, $16M) to Indy in sign-and-trade w/Dallas. Darren Collison and Dahntay Jones to Mavs (TRADE CALL IN AM)

loveforthegame
07-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Good deal for the Mavs.

Mel_13
07-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Dallas collects more players with one year remaining on their contracts so Cuban can chase free agents a year from now. Ian gets a nice payday to be Hibbert's backup. Indy seems like a good landing place for him.

AFBlue
07-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Yawn turned into Collison...wow, great deal for Mavs.

szkorhetz
07-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Wtf Indy? Fuck U Pritchard...

ace3g
07-11-2012, 07:31 PM

Indiana is pursuing a trade with Charlotte for restricted free agent point guard DJ Augustine, sources tell Y! Sports.

benefactor
07-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Steal for the Mavs. Collison has the potential to be the future at PG for them.

Nathan89
07-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Mavs flipping Spurs "trash" into a starting point guard.:bang

TD 21
07-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Steal for the Mavs. Collison has the potential to be the future at PG for them.

It's a good trade for them, no question. But I think the ship has sailed on Collison being anything more than a fringe starter. Ideally, he's more of a high quality backup. He played out of his mind for a few months during his rookie season and fooled people into thinking he's better than that, but reality set in soon after (look for this same thing to happen to Dragic next). This is definitely a better option than signing Sessions to the long term deal he's seeking or signing Felton for a season, though.

For the Pacers, this makes their already highly questionable drafting (and that's being generous) of Plumlee in the 1st round even more ridiculous. They wasted a 1st round pick on a guy who, barring debilitating injury to Hibbert or Mahinmi (or them eventually trading Mahinmi), has no chance at cracking their rotation for at least 4 seasons, when they could have had a lottery caliber talent like Jones. Unbelievable how stupid that was.

Em-City
07-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Mahinmi is the player who's improving.. not Collison. Collison is on a bad contract and hill is capable of playing 40 mins a game.

agree on the drafting of Plumlee though - wasteful

Mel_13
07-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Collison's going to his third team in 4 years. Headed down that Drew Gooden career path.

benefactor
07-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Mahinmi is the player who's improving.. not Collison. Collison is on a bad contract and hill is capable of playing 40 mins a game.

agree on the drafting of Plumlee though - wasteful
Collison is still on his rookie deal.

benefactor
07-11-2012, 08:06 PM
It's a good trade for them, no question. But I think the ship has sailed on Collison being anything more than a fringe starter. Ideally, he's more of a high quality backup. He played out of his mind for a few months during his rookie season and fooled people into thinking he's better than that, but reality set in soon after (look for this same thing to happen to Dragic next). This is definitely a better option than signing Sessions to the long term deal he's seeking or signing Felton for a season, though.

For the Pacers, this makes their already highly questionable drafting (and that's being generous) of Plumlee in the 1st round even more ridiculous. They wasted a 1st round pick on a guy who, barring debilitating injury to Hibbert or Mahinmi (or them eventually trading Mahinmi), has no chance at cracking their rotation for at least 4 seasons, when they could have had a lottery caliber talent like Jones. Unbelievable how stupid that was.
I think he can be a solid starting point. Not a superstar but good enough to run the ship.

Em-City
07-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Collison is still on his rookie deal.

my bad..

jesterbobman
07-11-2012, 08:32 PM
I don't mind the Pacers trading Collison, they weren't going to sign him after this year as they've commited to Hill as their PG. But you have to get something better than Mahinmi in the package, as they could've just signed Ian to a deal, and giving up Collison to jettison Jones isn't good.

If they add Augustin and a Wing(Gerald Green) they're in good shape though, just rejigging supporting pieces.

therealtruth
07-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I thought the Mavs were going to free Roddy B.

ElNono
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Mavs got Kaman too, and are looking at Brand... I'd say they're doing pretty good... I'm wondering if the Spurs are even shopping Ginger...

Duncan2177
07-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Mavs got Kaman too, and are looking at Brand... I'd say they're doing pretty good... I'm wondering if the Spurs are even shopping Ginger...

Probably not because he's Pops butt buddy and is so incredibly in love with him and would miss his back rubs from him to. :rolleyes

DesignatedT
07-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Looks like the Mavs have the same philosophy as last season. Sign everyone to 1 year deals.

ElNono
07-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Looks like the Mavs have the same philosophy as last season. Sign everyone to 1 year deals.

It's not a bad a bad philosophy if you can pull it off... problem is most players want long term deals...

DesignatedT
07-11-2012, 11:16 PM
It's not a bad a bad philosophy if you can pull it off... problem is most players want long term deals...

Yeah. Just gotta help but think Dirk is sitting there like wtf. Doing that isn't going to win Dallas anything, but it does keep them major players in next years free agency. Dirk isn't getting any younger though.

ElNono
07-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Bynum, maybe also Howard will be available next year... and as baseline bum was saying on the NBA forum, if they land Brand they'll already be much better than last season.

DesignatedT
07-11-2012, 11:32 PM
maybe if maybe if

ace3g
07-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Rick Bonnell ‏@rick_bonnell

Exclusive: The #Bobcats are re-engaged in acquiring Kris Humphries to upgrade their power forward spot, an informed source tells Observer.

ace3g
07-12-2012, 08:07 PM

Mark Bartelstein, agent for Calderon, confirms to ESPN that trade talks underway. He & Raps prez Colangelo "working together" to find deal

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/8162133/sources-toronto-raptors-jose-calderon-welcome-trade

Mel_13
07-13-2012, 01:46 PM
he Grizzlies have engaged the Minnesota Timberwolves in trade talks in hopes of acquiring one of three guards, according to a source with knowledge of the discussions.

Memphis has interest in Wayne Ellington, Wesley Johnson or Martell Webster – each of whom have reportedly been made available.

Ellington likely is the Grizzlies' main target because of his salary. The 6-4 guard will earn a little more than $2 million this season. Johnson will make $4.2 million and Webster’s deal is for $5.7 million.

Ellington, 24, averaged 41-percent shooting in three seasons with Minnesota. He’s a career 38-percent three-point shooter. Johnson, 25, shot 40 percent overall and 34 percent from beyond the arc in two NBA seasons. Webster, 25, is a seven-year veteran who spent the last two seasons averaging 41-percent shooting (37 percent from three-point range) for Minnesota.

Conventional wisdom suggests that the Griz would try to use Dante Cunningham in a deal given they re-signed forwards Darrell Arthur and Marreese Speights.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/jul/13/grizzlies-trade-talks-timberwolves-land-guard-sour/?CID=happeningnow

Neal+Joseph for Cunningham works.

TD 21
07-13-2012, 05:30 PM
he Grizzlies have engaged the Minnesota Timberwolves in trade talks in hopes of acquiring one of three guards, according to a source with knowledge of the discussions.

Memphis has interest in Wayne Ellington, Wesley Johnson or Martell Webster – each of whom have reportedly been made available.

Ellington likely is the Grizzlies' main target because of his salary. The 6-4 guard will earn a little more than $2 million this season. Johnson will make $4.2 million and Webster’s deal is for $5.7 million.

Ellington, 24, averaged 41-percent shooting in three seasons with Minnesota. He’s a career 38-percent three-point shooter. Johnson, 25, shot 40 percent overall and 34 percent from beyond the arc in two NBA seasons. Webster, 25, is a seven-year veteran who spent the last two seasons averaging 41-percent shooting (37 percent from three-point range) for Minnesota.

Conventional wisdom suggests that the Griz would try to use Dante Cunningham in a deal given they re-signed forwards Darrell Arthur and Marreese Speights.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/jul/13/grizzlies-trade-talks-timberwolves-land-guard-sour/?CID=happeningnow

Neal+Joseph for Cunningham works.

That would just be stupid on the Spurs part. Why help a team that's in the 4-6 range in the conference fill arguably their biggest need? You only even consider that if they can do the same for you or if they're willing to take an albatross off your hands. In this case, they wouldn't do either. And Cunningham is an undersized, overpriced fifth big, who's not much of a rebounder.

Three better Neal trades . . .

1. Spurs trade Blair to Hornets or Warriors for their 2nd in '13, then trade that 2nd, along with Neal, to Bucks for Sanders.

2. Spurs trade Neal and cash to Pistons for draft rights to Middleton and their 2nd in '13.

3. Spurs trade Neal and Byars to Trail Blazers for Babbitt.

Other than 1, the return in these trades is underwhelming. But they'll be hard pressed to do much better and unlike Blair, who just based on how many they have signed at his position(s), could be kept, Neal can't be, for that very reason. In 2 and 3, at least they'd fill a semi-positional need (depth at forward; particularly small forward) and in the case of one, get a decent draft pick with it.

Mel_13
07-13-2012, 05:46 PM
That would just be stupid on the Spurs part.

Thanks for the feedback.

Vic Petro
07-14-2012, 04:36 PM
This report makes it sound like Dwight Howard to LA is a done deal.

http://www.clickorlando.com/sports/Sources-Howard-will-end-up-with-Lakers/-/1636890/15515918/-/dsasas/-/index.html?%20utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Andthentherewas21
07-14-2012, 04:45 PM

http://www.clickorlando.com/sports/Sources-Howard-will-end-up-with-Lakers/-/1636890/15515918/-/dsasas/-/index.html?%20utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

That report also uses the phrases "It is where the league wants him to end up", and "It is widely believed". Not exactly strong journalism there.

I'm not saying Dwight couldn't end up as a Laker, especially given a deal for Bynum is one of the better deals they could get at this point. However I would be careful as to how much stock you put in a report that sounds like it was written by a member of the Orlando Magic equivalent of Spurstalk.

ace3g
07-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo

Knicks close to obtaining point guard Raymond Felton in sign and trade with Blazers, source tells Y! Sports.

timvp
07-14-2012, 08:36 PM

Knicks close to obtaining point guard Raymond Felton in sign and trade with Blazers, source tells Y! Sports.

Felton, Lin and Kidd?

ElNono
07-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Felton, Lin and Kidd?

And Prigioni... :lol

More likely they pick up Felton and drop Lin... did you see Houston's latest offer?

ElNono
07-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Al Iannazzone: The Knicks are not matching the offer sheet to Landry Fields, his agent said.

timvp
07-14-2012, 08:54 PM
I can't believe the Knicks will dump the cash cow that is Jeremy Lin.

Wow.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 08:56 PM

Rockets found loophole that would cost them $8 million on third year of Lin offer sheet and Knicks $15 million, source tells Y! Sports.

Marc J. Spears Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo

Luxury tax team NYK fear of matching Lin deal understandable when 3rd year of tough to trade contract would cost $15 million,source tells Y!

ElNono
07-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Basically, looks like Houston offered a 5-5-15 contract or something like that...

CGD
07-14-2012, 09:02 PM
The infamous poison pill. But I thought the Knicks already accounted for that. Seems like an odd about face after the gm was quoted as feciously saying they would match anything up to 1Billion dollars.

ElNono
07-14-2012, 09:15 PM
tbqh, money isn't an issue for Dolan... but the Felton angle does add a new twist

ace3g
07-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN

The Knicks have acquired Raymond Felton and Kurt Thomas from Portland for Jared Jeffries and Dan Gadzuric, sources tell the Daily News

CGD
07-14-2012, 10:49 PM
So hears a question. I know a team could match an offer sheet, but could they better the offer as well? For example, if the Knicks wanted to avoid the poison pill, could they offer Lin slightly more money and an additional year, which would enable them to structure the deal in a cap friendly way?

timvp
07-14-2012, 10:50 PM
^No.

Redshadows
07-14-2012, 10:55 PM

Damn.

CGD
07-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Figured, or else Houston wouldnt have even contemplate such a structure in the first instance.

therealtruth
07-14-2012, 11:00 PM
It's ironic that Lin would want to sign with the team that cut him. If I was Lin it would be payback everytime I played them.

NickiRasgo
07-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN

The Knicks have acquired Raymond Felton and Kurt Thomas from Portland for Jared Jeffries and Dan Gadzuric, sources tell the Daily News

:wow

Redshadows
07-14-2012, 11:05 PM
It's ironic that Lin would want to sign with the team that cut him. If I was Lin it would be payback everytime I played them.
Maybe Lin just want Knicks to match the offer.

Nathan89
07-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN

Not sure what Portland likes about those players.

racm
07-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Jeffries can do something on the court, unlike old man Thomas.

MR.SILVER&BLack
07-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Not sure what Portland likes about those players.
they probably just wanted to get rid of Felton.

Mel_13
07-14-2012, 11:39 PM
they probably just wanted to get rid of Felton.

Felton was a free agent. They probably see Jeffries as an upgrade over Thomas. The Gadzuric contract has no guaranteed money, so he may very well be cut.

racm
07-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Jeffries is young enough to give you meaningful court minutes.

ace3g
07-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Source: Wolves have deal to flip Wayne Ellington for Dante Cunningham

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Source_Wolves_have_deal_to_flip_Wayne_Ellington_fo r_Dante_Cunningham071612

ace3g
07-19-2012, 03:37 PM

Celtics to acquire G Courtney Lee from Rockets in a sign and trade sending back F JaJuan Johnson, sources tell Y! Details being finalized.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 03:42 PM

Celtics to acquire G Courtney Lee from Rockets in a sign and trade sending back F JaJuan Johnson, sources tell Y! Details being finalized.

Yet another PF on a rookie contract for the Rox. Nice pickup for the Celts.

Robz4000
07-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Rockets are continuing to look like one giant clusterfuck of a roster right now. Meanwhile, the Celtics are really making noise. Everyone wants to so readily declare Miami the winners of the East, yet the Celtics are right there.

tesseractive
07-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Yet another PF on a rookie contract for the Rox. Nice pickup for the Celts.

No kidding. Wow. :tu

timvp
07-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Great get for the Celtics.

Damn.

TD 21
07-19-2012, 04:05 PM
According to Hollinger, non guaranteed contracts of Moore and Williams almost certainly involved, which would enable Lee to get market value ($4.2M).

They're still more than likely not winning another championship in the Garnett/Pierce era, but I knew last season that their demise was greatly exaggerated. They've added some quality youth to the roster, with Green (overrated and vastly overpaid; but useful as a seventh man), Sullinger and Lee. Add them to Bass, Bradley and Rondo and like the Spurs, they're suddenly not that old anymore. The only "old guys" in the rotation are Garnett, Pierce and Terry.

At this writing, I've got them fifth most likely to win a championship next season, behind the Heat, Thunder, Spurs and Lakers.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 04:12 PM
According to Hollinger, non guaranteed contracts of Moore and Williams almost certainly involved, which would enable Lee to get market value ($4.2M).

There's another example of unrealized potential in the form of an athletic PF.

Mel_13
07-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Celtics will send E'Twaun Moore, JaJuan Johnson, Sean Williams and 2nd rd pick in Courtney Lee trade. Those 3 won't play today.

https://twitter.com/SteveBHoop

Robz4000
07-19-2012, 04:34 PM

They're still more than likely not winning another championship in the Garnett/Pierce era, but I knew last season that their demise was greatly exaggerated. They've added some quality youth to the roster, with Green (overrated and vastly overpaid; but useful as a seventh man), Sullinger and Lee. Add them to Bass, Bradley and Rondo and like the Spurs, they're suddenly not that old anymore. The only "old guys" in the rotation are Garnett, Pierce and Terry.

At this writing, I've got them fifth most likely to win a championship next season, behind the Heat, Thunder, Spurs and Lakers.
Don't forget about Fab Melo either. Guy may not be all that impressive right now, but he's just what Boston needs when KG is on the bench.

MaNu4Tres
07-19-2012, 05:28 PM
So I heard Rockets are pretty thin at power forward.

Seventyniner
07-19-2012, 07:05 PM
So Hollinger still has the Spurs ahead of the Lakers. Would a Bynum/Howard trade change his mind?

benefactor
07-19-2012, 07:10 PM
So Hollinger still has the Spurs ahead of the Lakers. Would a Bynum/Howard trade change his mind?
You should probably start worrying about things that matter.

ace3g
07-24-2012, 06:23 PM

Hornets, Suns, Wolves are nearing agreement on a 3-way deal that would send Robin Lopez to the Hornets in a sign-and-trade, sources tell Y!

Along with Lopez, Suns would send Hakim Warrick to Hornets. Minny would send Wesley Johnson and a 1st round pick to the Suns, sources say.

At least part of package back to Minny would include Brad Miller (his contract), Jerome Dyson and draft picks, sources say.

For Wolves, deal clears cap space and apparently is a prelude to another potential signing or deal, sources say.

Drom John
07-25-2012, 08:42 AM
For Wolves, deal clears cap space and apparently is a prelude to another potential signing or deal, sources say.

Kirilenko is the target.

racm
07-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Good move for Minny. They get a veteran who still has something left in the tank unlike Roy.

gambit1990
07-25-2012, 04:07 PM
The Hornets, Suns and Timberwolves have agreed to a multiplayer trade sending 7-foot center Robin Lopez and forward Hakim Warrick from Phoenix to New Orleans, while moving forward Wesley Johnson and a first-round draft pick from Minnesota to Phoenix, a person familiar with the deal said.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8200060/robin-lopez-joins-new-orleans-hornets-3-team-trade

ace3g
07-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Via Official Cleveland Cavaliers announcement
The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired point guard Jeremy Pargo, Memphis’ 2014 second round draft pick and cash considerations from the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for guard/forward D.J. Kennedy, Cavaliers General Manager Chris Grant announced today from Cleveland Clinic Courts.

"Our approach remains consistent as we try to bring in young talent, create future opportunity with draft picks as potential assets and maintain flexibility,” said Cavaliers General Manager Chris Grant. “Jeremy adds depth to our backcourt. He is a young, aggressive, athletic guard who we feel fits well with our style of play, both defensively and offensively. We look forward to welcoming him to Cleveland."

http://www.iamagm.com/article/grizzlies-trade-jeremy-pargo-to-cavs-for-dj-kennedy#.UBCRW6NdC7u

Bruno
07-25-2012, 07:50 PM
^ While it's possible that Jeremy Pargo would have been better in Spurs system, it looks like Spurs have made the right move by not signing him last offseason. Pargo has been bad with Memphis and they had to give a 2nd round pick to salary dump him.

ace3g
07-30-2012, 05:51 PM

Clippers just announced that they've acquired Willie Green from Dealin' Danny Ferry's Atlanta Hawks for draft rights to Sofo Schortsanitis

TD 21
08-09-2012, 05:23 PM
a framework of the possible deal includes Howard and Denver forward Al Harrington going to the Lakers, Philadelphia guard Andre Iguodala going to the Nuggets, Los Angeles center Andrew Bynum moving to the 76ers, and Los Angeles forward Pau Gasol and Denver guard Arron Afflalo going to the Magic, sources told Yahoo! Sports.http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--lakers--magic-in-blockbuster-four-team-trade-talks-to-send-dwight-howard-to-l-a-.html;_ylt=A2KLJMZbLiRQ7wkABQCiuYdG;_ylu=X3oDMTN1Y 3RpbnE0BG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNZWdhdHJvbiBOQkEEcGtnAzN jNWZhZDA2LTVjYzUtMzRjZC05M2EwLTFlNGI2NDBlZmFlMQRwb 3MDMQRzZWMDbWVnYXRyb24EdmVyAzk0NjY3YTYzLWUyNWYtMTF lMS1iNjY3LTIyMDM3Zjg0OWY1MQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTFoZGZwdmhsBGludGwDY2EEbGFuZwNlbi1jYQRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuYmEEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Who knows if this actually goes down. But if it does, I don't care how much of a long shot it may seem, the Spurs would be insane to not put in a serious offer to the Magic for Gasol (who's expected to be re-routed in this scenario). I'd offer Splitter, Jackson, Neal, Blair, Bonner, Joseph and two future 1sts for Gasol, Richardson, Harper and a future 2nd.

szkorhetz
08-09-2012, 07:33 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--lakers--magic-in-blockbuster-four-team-trade-talks-to-send-dwight-howard-to-l-a-.html;_ylt=A2KLJMZbLiRQ7wkABQCiuYdG;_ylu=X3oDMTN1Y 3RpbnE0BG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNZWdhdHJvbiBOQkEEcGtnAzN jNWZhZDA2LTVjYzUtMzRjZC05M2EwLTFlNGI2NDBlZmFlMQRwb 3MDMQRzZWMDbWVnYXRyb24EdmVyAzk0NjY3YTYzLWUyNWYtMTF lMS1iNjY3LTIyMDM3Zjg0OWY1MQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTFoZGZwdmhsBGludGwDY2EEbGFuZwNlbi1jYQRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuYmEEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Who knows if this actually goes down. But if it does, I don't care how much of a long shot it may seem, the Spurs would be insane to not put in a serious offer to the Magic for Gasol (who's expected to be re-routed in this scenario). I'd offer Splitter, Jackson, Neal, Blair, Bonner, Joseph and two future 1sts for Gasol, Richardson, Harper and a future 2nd.
If we could get Gasol for this package than yes, do it. Both teams would get, what they need
TBH, I think Gasol will be a Rocket at the end.

Redshadows
08-09-2012, 08:22 PM
If we could get Gasol for this package than yes, do it. Both teams would get, what they need
TBH, I think Gasol will be a Rocket at the end.
Yeah, HOU always like him and have a lot of young players.