PDA

View Full Version : Dwight pushing to be traded to the Nets before the draft

djohn2oo8
06-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Hennigan will immediately be confronted with making a decision on All-Star center Dwight Howard’s future. Howard is signed through the 2012-13 season, but another fallout with management has left him wanting a trade soon. Howard will push for a trade to the Brooklyn Nets before the June 28 NBA draft to clear the way for Nets free agent Deron Williams to re-sign with the Nets and partner in the new Brooklyn arena next season.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--magic-to-hire-okc-s-rob-hennigan-as-new-gm.html

The Magic should show some balls and trade his ass to the Bobcats, or anywhere besides Brooklyn.

TIMMYtoZO
06-21-2012, 10:18 AM
:lol Good luck with that, Dwight. The Nets don't have their lottery pick.

Clipper Nation
06-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Clippers/Nets Finals next year tbh... Stern's gonna be making that NYC vs. LA money...

Venti Quattro
06-21-2012, 10:23 AM
:cry What a Christian thing to do. :cry

baseline bum
06-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Trade him to the Nets? For what? They have literally nothing I would want if I'm the Magic's GM. Howard is a complete moron for signing away his right to opt out.

Killakobe81
06-21-2012, 10:24 AM
What I dont get is why the Nets gave up their lotto pick for a Wallace rental? Besides Marshawn Brooks what assests do the Nets have? Wallace opted out, Lopez (IIRC) is a RFA and Dwill is UFA what exactly could they offer the Magic? Unless they can pull off some complicated sign and trades dont see how this trade happens.

Killakobe81
06-21-2012, 10:29 AM
And what the fuck is Dwights fascination/obsesssion with Brooklyn? Go back to his original list. So at least he can throw the Magic fans a bone and give them SOME leverage ... maybe force Cuban, Buss and maybe even the Bulls to get in a bidding war. Not sure any team on his first list has the right assets but force them to make something happen. No team in the lottery area (Shaq, Webber and Dwight) has had so much luck, but they have only 2 Finals appearances to show for it. Sure the Clips Bobcats etc get a lot of heat and rightfully so ...but Magic have done less with more than any franchise of the past 25 years maybe only the Blazers are close.

Killakobe81
06-21-2012, 10:33 AM
In the lottery era the Magic have won 3 times. They had a chance to draft 3 of the best (coming out of college/HS) bigmen of the past 20 years. How do you NOT ring at LEAST once?

Clipper Nation
06-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Sure the Clips Bobcats etc get a lot of heat and rightfully so ...but Magic have done less with more than any franchise of the past 25 years maybe only the Blazers are close.
The Suns are up there too tbh... nothing worse than rooting for a team that's always good but constantly shoots themselves in the foot... I'm a Charger fan, I know that feel...

Clipper Nation
06-21-2012, 10:36 AM
For real though, Dwight will never be traded tbh... the Magic will keep bribing him with candy to stay in Orlando...

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-21-2012, 11:06 AM
In the lottery era the Magic have won 3 times. They had a chance to draft 3 of the best (coming out of college/HS) bigmen of the past 20 years. How do you NOT ring at LEAST once?
They've had bad luck in a lot of other areas, however with Dwight they can't attribute it to bad luck as much as horrible management.

With Shaq, they only had him for 4 years before he bolted so they never had him in his prime when he added more polish to his game and became more of a winner. If they kept Shaq and Penny's knees didn't deteriorate, they would have probably rung multiple times after Jordan retired, especially since after MJ retired Phil Jackson went to LA so he could coach Shaq which means he coulda gone to Orlando as well. They surrounded Shaq with a great supporting cast (Hardaway, Dennis Scott, Horance Grant, Nick Anderson, Brian Shaw) but couldn't do anything about Shaq wanting to play for LA.

Following Shaq and Penny, they were actually close to getting a big 3 of T-Mac, Grant Hill and Tim Duncan which also would have rung multiple times, but Duncan ended up resigning with San Antonio and Grant Hill then had tons of injury problems. The big 3 they almost had became the one man T-Mac show.

With Dwight, it was a lot more bad management than it was bad luck like it was with Shaq/Grant Hill. When you are in the "start from scratch with the #1 overall pick" situation like they were with Dwight, they initially cared too much about being competitive quickly rather than really rebuilding around Dwight.

Compare it to what the Sonics did when they got the #2 pick in 2007. The Sonics traded Ray Allen for the #5 pick so they could pair Durant with another young player with tons of potential. The Magic traded T-Mac for Steve Francis Cuttino Mobley which did nothing but make it so Orlando got a late lottery pick in 2005 rather than a high lottery pick. Maybe hindsight is 20/20, but they should have taken a more long term approach once they got the #1 pick in 2005.

Furthermore, the Sonics' picked Russell Westbrook as Durant's sidekick with the #4 pick the year after they picked Durant. The Magic picked Fran Vasquez, someone who has yet to make his NBA debut, with the #11 pick the year after they picked Dwight. Then after that, the Magic had the #11 pick again which they used on JJ Redick. So while OKC used their next 2 draft picks after Durant to give Durant a legitimate 2nd and 3rd scoring option, the Magic used their next 2 picks after Dwight to select someone who never signed and someone who was never gonna be more than an off the bench spot up shooter. After that Dwight was good enough to make Orlando a playoff team which eliminated the chance of them getting a high draft pick again as long as they had Dwight.

Their fuckups with Dwight are pretty similar to Cleveland's fuck ups with Lebron. Both teams needed to use the draft after Lebron/Dwight's rookie year to get a young sidekick for each player. Because both teams failed to use the draft surrounding Lebron/Dwight with young talent, they ended up getting desperate and using cap space to overpay free agents.

Koolaid_Man
06-21-2012, 11:10 AM
And what the fuck is Dwights fascination/obsesssion with Brooklyn? Go back to his original list. So at least he can throw the Magic fans a bone and give them SOME leverage ... maybe force Cuban, Buss and maybe even the Bulls to get in a bidding war. Not sure any team on his first list has the right assets but force them to make something happen. No team in the lottery area (Shaq, Webber and Dwight) has had so much luck, but they have only 2 Finals appearances to show for it. Sure the Clips Bobcats etc get a lot of heat and rightfully so ...but Magic have done less with more than any franchise of the past 25 years maybe only the Blazers are close.

Dwight is caught up in the JZ hype. He will be asking fans to feel sorry for him in a few yrs when its clear he won't win shit. This guy is proving to be of the dumbest of all-time....literally... New Jersey really....why not Chicago...they could trade some good assets and still have enough left for him and Rose to compete with...dude has the mind of a 16 yr old.

Kai
06-21-2012, 11:16 AM
If he wants to go to the Nets that badly BEFORE the draft, his dumbass should have just opted out. The Nets clearly planned on signing both him and Deron in the offseason. What a fucking idiot. He screwed both himself and Brooklyn over at the same time. I hope he ends in in Charlotte as well.

Findog
06-21-2012, 11:18 AM
As much of a dumb, pampered, indecisive baby Dwight is, would you really want to build your team around him? I got excited when I heard we were on his short list of teams to be traded to, but as great of a player as he is, there seems to be something missing between his ears.

Findog
06-21-2012, 11:19 AM
If he wants to go to the Nets that badly BEFORE the draft, his dumbass should have just opted out. The Nets clearly planned on signing both him and Deron in the offseason. What a fucking idiot. He screwed both himself and Brooklyn over at the same time. I hope he ends in in Charlotte as well.

You know, the Magic are never going to get anything close to equal value for Dwight...they'd take some combination of expiring deals, picks and young players for him, even if it doesn't come close to being equal value. I would love to see Charlotte maybe part with Gerald Henderson and their #1 pick in next year's draft for a one-year rental. Fuck Howard.

Killakobe81
06-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Dwight is caught up in the JZ hype. He will be asking fans to feel sorry for him in a few yrs when its clear he won't win shit. This guy is proving to be of the dumbest of all-time....literally... New Jersey really....why not Chicago...they could trade some good assets and still have enough left for him and Rose to compete with...dude has the mind of a 16 yr old.

The Rose injury scares me, and I have been one of his few supporters on here. I know modern science is remarkable, and I dont think he ONLY a athlete, I think he has some PG skills that are not strictly reliant on his hops and quickness. BUT he does not have the floor game of a Paul or Nash either, so we shall see.

My reason for mentioning Chicago is they have a huge market, a franchise that has won and a dedicated fan-base. Even if Rose is never what he once was, I would trust the Bulls more than the Nets. Jay-Z proved he could run rap but his presence shouldnt be a major factor, here. Even his best buddy Lebron decided not to join the Roc-La Familia

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-21-2012, 11:22 AM
As much of a dumb, pampered, indecisive baby Dwight is, would you really want to build your team around him? I got excited when I heard we were on his short list of teams to be traded to, but as great of a player as he is, there seems to be something missing between his ears.
I hear what you're saying, and maybe building a team around Dwight isn't ideal, but it's by far the best available scenario for the Nets or Magic. If the Nets don't get Dwight and D-Will ends up leaving they have a daunting rebuilding project ahead of them that'll take at least 3-5 years.

Kai
06-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Only reason I can think of for him not opting out is because he wants to get a bigger deal for re-signing. You get an extra year and a higher percentage increase in salary for re-signing which comes out to a difference of about $30 million dollars. I'm guessing this dude is trying to force a trade to Brooklyn so he can both play for the team of his choosing AND get paid maximum value. The Magic may have told him in february that they would trade him to some shitty team at the deadline if he wouldn't commit to them (for the best deal, not to spite him), so he said he'd stay, knowing fully that he would still demand a trade to Brooklyn as soon as the season ended. If this is the case, where he wants to have his cake and eat it too, he can go straight to hell, IMO.

UZER
06-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Trade him for D Will. Then when he gets to Brooklyn, he will want to be traded back to Orlando to play with DWill.

Killakobe81
06-21-2012, 11:30 AM
They've had bad luck in a lot of other areas, however with Dwight they can't attribute it to bad luck as much as horrible management.

With Shaq, they only had him for 4 years before he bolted so they never had him in his prime when he added more polish to his game and became more of a winner. If they kept Shaq and Penny's knees didn't deteriorate, they would have probably rung multiple times after Jordan retired, especially since after MJ retired Phil Jackson went to LA so he could coach Shaq which means he coulda gone to Orlando as well. They surrounded Shaq with a great supporting cast (Hardaway, Dennis Scott, Horance Grant, Nick Anderson, Brian Shaw) but couldn't do anything about Shaq wanting to play for LA.

Following Shaq and Penny, they were actually close to getting a big 3 of T-Mac, Grant Hill and Tim Duncan which also would have rung multiple times, but Duncan ended up resigning with San Antonio and Grant Hill then had tons of injury problems. The big 3 they almost had became the one man T-Mac show.

With Dwight, it was a lot more bad management than it was bad luck like it was with Shaq/Grant Hill. When you are in the "start from scratch with the #1 overall pick" situation like they were with Dwight, they initially cared too much about being competitive quickly rather than really rebuilding around Dwight.

Compare it to what the Sonics did when they got the #2 pick in 2007. The Sonics traded Ray Allen for the #5 pick so they could pair Durant with another young player with tons of potential. The Magic traded T-Mac for Steve Francis Cuttino Mobley which did nothing but make it so Orlando got a late lottery pick in 2005 rather than a high lottery pick. Maybe hindsight is 20/20, but they should have taken a more long term approach once they got the #1 pick in 2005.

Furthermore, the Sonics' picked Russell Westbrook as Durant's sidekick with the #4 pick the year after they picked Durant. The Magic picked Fran Vasquez, someone who has yet to make his NBA debut, with the #11 pick the year after they picked Dwight. Then after that, the Magic had the #11 pick again which they used on JJ Redick. So while OKC used their next 2 draft picks after Durant to give Durant a legitimate 2nd and 3rd scoring option, the Magic used their next 2 picks after Dwight to select someone who never signed and someone who was never gonna be more than an off the bench spot up shooter. After that Dwight was good enough to make Orlando a playoff team which eliminated the chance of them getting a high draft pick again as long as they had Dwight.

Their fuckups with Dwight are pretty similar to Cleveland's fuck ups with Lebron. Both teams needed to use the draft after Lebron/Dwight's rookie year to get a young sidekick for each player. Because both teams failed to use the draft surrounding Lebron/Dwight with young talent, they ended up getting desperate and using cap space to overpay free agents.

Great analysis, great post. But doesnt change the bottom line. You get 3 stars of that stature you cant lose all 3. The Webber trade made some sense, but I did think it was silly to let Shaq drive that (as rumors indicated) trade. Penny before he hurt his knees was one of my favorite players, but a Webber Shaq front-court would have been amazing too. Shaq was always petty and campaigned for Penny, pre-draft and then later soured on Hardaway due to jealousy. (Thank GOD though, because it helped us 3 peat.).
Bad management is indeed a big part of this. Outside of Duncan and Lebron (and maybe you can argue the Oden draft) The Magic won 3 of the 5 most desirable draft lotteries and not only do they not have a ring to show for it, they are weeks or months away from having NONE of the 3 retire with the franchise. That is horrible, not just bad management.

Killakobe81
06-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Imagine if Cleveland won the lotto with Lebron, then followed that draft with Dwight Howard the next. Lose both guys then win the lotto AGAIN with Kyrie Irving. Fail to win a ring and Kyrie leaves when his contract is up. That is essentially what the Magic are facing. No excuses for something like that happening.

weebo
06-21-2012, 11:48 AM
What I dont get is why the Nets gave up their lotto pick for a Wallace rental? Besides Marshawn Brooks what assests do the Nets have? Wallace opted out, Lopez (IIRC) is a RFA and Dwill is UFA what exactly could they offer the Magic? Unless they can pull off some complicated sign and trades dont see how this trade happens.

because they're the nets :lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Great analysis, great post. But doesnt change the bottom line. You get 3 stars of that stature you cant lose all 3. The Webber trade made some sense, but I did think it was silly to let Shaq drive that (as rumors indicated) trade. Penny before he hurt his knees was one of my favorite players, but a Webber Shaq front-court would have been amazing too. Shaq was always petty and campaigned for Penny, pre-draft and then later soured on Hardaway due to jealousy. (Thank GOD though, because it helped us 3 peat.).
Bad management is indeed a big part of this. Outside of Duncan and Lebron (and maybe you can argue the Oden draft) The Magic won 3 of the 5 most desirable draft lotteries and not only do they not have a ring to show for it, they are weeks or months away from having NONE of the 3 retire with the franchise. That is horrible, not just bad management.
I agree with the Dwight part, however losing Shaq I don't fault them for. Shaq left after 4 years at age 23 because, according to his words, hated having so much attention on him on Orlando while he would be one of many attractions in LA. Compare that to Lebron leaving Cleveland after 7 years or Dwight just finishing his 8th season with Orlando. Your overall point is right in this instance though because Dwight you can tell is emotionally attached to Orlando and did everything he could to give Orlando as many chances as possible but his supporting cast is worse than ever now and they Magic don't have any clear direction. He WANTED to bring a title to Orlando, but at this point knows it's not happening.

baseline bum
06-21-2012, 11:50 AM

While they were close to getting Duncan, they could have never done that big 3; McGrady was always the consolation prize. That was the era when no one took less and they didn't have the cap space for all three.

baseline bum
06-21-2012, 11:53 AM

Haha, the Vazquez pick was a colossal fuckup. He told them he wasn't coming to the NBA and they picked his ass anyways. :rollin

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-21-2012, 12:04 PM
While they were close to getting Duncan, they could have never done that big 3; McGrady was always the consolation prize. That was the era when no one took less and they didn't have the cap space for all three.
You sure about that? I remember Orlando having next to no contracts on their books entering the 2000 off season and having a plan to go after all 3. Could be wrong though as I was just starting to watch basketball at the time.

Clipper Nation
06-21-2012, 12:07 PM
because they're the nets :lmao

Well that, and also because that dumbass Otis Smith actually wanted him in a Dwight trade, tbh...

weebo
06-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Dwight is like the husband in a shitty marriage with a shitty wife with no prospects of a better future but he sticks around for the kids.

Killakobe81
06-21-2012, 12:12 PM
I get what you are saying DOK, and your posts here remind me of why you are rspected around here. It's nice to talk ball with someone who knows it.
I get that Shaq wanted to leave, which i find his hypocrisy towards, Dwight comical. But franchises tank, give away stars .50 cents onthe dollar to be in position to get the most ping-pong balls. They win that 3 times, and in none of those drafts was the top pick Olowokandi, Kwame Brown or even Oden. You have to build and keep at least ONE championship out of that kind of fortune. I'm just arguing it takes collosally bad management to not win one with that kind of luck.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Well I agree there. The Magic have had horrible management with Dwight, and I remember how hypocritical I thought it was for Shaq to say it'd be a tragedy if Dwight went to LA. Dwight gave Orlando more of a chance than Shaq ever did in spite of Orlando giving Shaq a sidekick (Penny) unlike any sidekick Dwight has had.

baseline bum
06-21-2012, 12:40 PM
You sure about that? I remember Orlando having next to no contracts on their books entering the 2000 off season and having a plan to go after all 3. Could be wrong though as I was just starting to watch basketball at the time.

Yeah, they didn't have any capspace after two max contracts. That's why they gave Detroit Ben Wallace in that sign and trade for Hill even after Duncan turned them down despite Big Ben being the main reason they had that shocking 41-41 season when everyone had them winning maybe 15-20 games coming in.

Koolaid_Man
06-21-2012, 01:17 PM
The Rose injury scares me, and I have been one of his few supporters on here. I know modern science is remarkable, and I dont think he ONLY a athlete, I think he has some PG skills that are not strictly reliant on his hops and quickness. BUT he does not have the floor game of a Paul or Nash either, so we shall see.

My reason for mentioning Chicago is they have a huge market, a franchise that has won and a dedicated fan-base. Even if Rose is never what he once was, I would trust the Bulls more than the Nets. Jay-Z proved he could run rap but his presence shouldnt be a major factor, here. Even his best buddy Lebron decided not to join the Roc-La Familia

Rose will be fine he's young enough...his problem is that he's buying into the ESPN highlights of some of his spectacular moves...I went to that Bulls vs Knicks back in March in Chicago and Rose plays like he buys into his own hype...and this takes away from his game...everything he does he seems to want it to be spectacular...other than that I think he'll be fine...just needs to settle down...

tesseractive
06-21-2012, 02:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--magic-to-hire-okc-s-rob-hennigan-as-new-gm.html

The Magic should show some balls and trade his ass to the Bobcats, or anywhere besides Brooklyn.

To New Orleans for Rashard Lewis' expiring deal? I'm sure he'd love being part of Anthony Davis's supporting cast on a rebuilding project. :lol

Clipper Nation
06-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Eric Gordon, Dwight Howard, and Anthony Davis wouldn't be a rebuilding project tbh... that'd be a squad... but it won't happen.

Latarian Milton
06-21-2012, 07:33 PM
nigga got superman's size & athleticism but a midget's brain, however havin this player on your roster was still so intriguing that you'd wanna trade another year's championship run for a slim chance of getting him

Latarian Milton
06-21-2012, 07:38 PM
I hear what you're saying, and maybe building a team around Dwight isn't ideal, but it's by far the best available scenario for the Nets or Magic. If the Nets don't get Dwight and D-Will ends up leaving they have a daunting rebuilding project ahead of them that'll take at least 3-5 years.

if DH ends up joinin NJ via a trade, deron will stay and that'd be a double-fuck against dallas. dallas should do everything they can to block any possible deal involving DH imho even if they ain't gettin him this year, just sign Deron as a FA this summer and DH will come next year. if you don't sign neither nigga this summer you're gonna sign some shitty players instead with the cap space, which would be the worst scenario for dallas imho

Budkin
06-21-2012, 07:53 PM

Horrible management and coaching.

Budkin
06-21-2012, 07:57 PM

So they fired the coach and GM to please him and now he wants to leave anyway? :lmao