PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Parker suing New York club over eye injury

Agloco
06-22-2012, 09:27 AM
20 million though? That's one valuable retina.....

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/06/22/spurs-parker-lawsuit.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Posted Jun 22 2012 9:18AM

NEW YORK (AP) -- San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker is suing a New York City club and its operators for $20 million over a scratched retina he says he suffered during a fight involving singer Chris Brown and members of hip-hop star Drake's entourage.

The suit was filed in State Supreme Court in Manhattan on Thursday. It says the W.i.P club in SoHo and its operators were negligent in security and supervision, which allowed the fight to take place.

Chris Brown, his girlfriend and his bodyguard were among eight injured during the fight inside the club last week. Police say members of Drake's entourage stopped Brown as he was leaving. The fight escalated and bottles were thrown.

There was no answer at phone numbers listed as affiliated with those named in the lawsuit.

Budkin
06-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Well considering that if he were blinded in one eye he'd have to retire from the NBA I say it's fair.

TE
06-22-2012, 11:47 AM
20 Mill? :lol

boutons_deux
06-22-2012, 11:48 AM
He can afford to lose the suit. His lawyer ain't workin pro bono

boutons_deux
06-22-2012, 12:07 PM
not unclassy. It's The American Legalistic Way.

He was on commercial property. They (should, which is probably a requirement for city/state operating licenses) have tons of liability insurance. If he wins, it's free money. Why not take it?

ElNono
06-22-2012, 12:19 PM
That gotta be a "scratched cornea"... the retina is inside the eye, in the back part of it.

You can have a retina detachment or disease, but you're not getting that scratched unless something goes all the way through the eye.

ElNono
06-22-2012, 12:25 PM
In papers filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, Parker holds W.i.P.’s owners responsible for the “corneal laceration of the left eye and other injuries”

cd98
06-22-2012, 01:22 PM
This is stupid and the lawsuit should be dismissed. First, the idea that the club should have known not to allow Brown and Drake to enter the club at the same time is completely dumb. Are club owners now required to determine if potential customers have personal conflicts that could lead to a bar fight and to exclude one of the parties to avoid the conflict so they can evade liability? Who do they exclude?

Second, he has a "corneal laceration" due to his participation in the fight, which probably subjects him to some proportionate responsibility for his injuries (if he backed away from the fight and left the establishment then he wouldn't have gotten injured- i.e. pull a Carmelo), and the real culprit are Brown and Drake and their respective possies. Why didn't he sue them?

Finally, the "corneal laceration" will sideline him for one week, and he has somehow suffered $20 million in damages? Nonsense. This is classic "man slips in front of a public library" logic. I hope he loses, and loses big time.

Drom John
06-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Parker sues the club, forcing the club to sue Drake and his entourage.
If Parker wins, club insurance company pays Parker, Drake pays club's insurance company.
End result, Drake indirectly pays Parker, but Parker can say I didn't sue you.

Parker sues now, because it forces the club to preserve evidence, find witnesses and so on, so the club has a better shot at subrogation.

Damages = cost of medical treatment (easy to prove), possible loss of future salary (speculative at this stage, but by the time of trial maybe not so speculative).

Security is one issue. Another is whether the glass was broken by a drunk. Who served the drunk alcohol?

BRHornet45
06-22-2012, 02:03 PM
sons any ounce of respect that I had for Tony Parker went out the door. what a pussy. I hope he gets attacked again next time he is out at a club. this just goes to show you the type of person that he is.

DesignatedT
06-22-2012, 02:09 PM
easy money

Paranoid Pop
06-22-2012, 02:15 PM
sons any ounce of respect that I had for Tony Parker went out the door. what a pussy. I hope he gets attacked again next time he is out at a club. this just goes to show you the type of person that he is.

A guy who like to party in a club without getting bottles thrown at him :sleep?

Reck
06-22-2012, 02:16 PM
easy money

That he will not get.

jag
06-22-2012, 02:17 PM
That gotta be a "scratched cornea"... the retina is inside the eye, in the back part of it.

You can have a retina detachment or disease, but you're not getting that scratched unless something goes all the way through the eye.

Nono with the ophthalmology goods

bus driver
06-22-2012, 02:22 PM

GTFO of here.

the nba rigged the draft so the hornets could get the first pick, now that is pussy shit.

z0sa
06-22-2012, 02:38 PM

:rollin

TDMVPDPOY
06-22-2012, 02:51 PM
lol this pussy who didnt fight back, now sueing....

Budkin
06-22-2012, 03:01 PM

He's going to fight back with a piece of glass in his eye?

dbreiden83080
06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
What a Joke.. :lol

Tony how about you keep the partying with your new woman in SA and maybe you'd stay out of trouble.. 20 mil

Clown..

ducks
06-22-2012, 03:21 PM
if he could not see he can not play
the lawyer suggested the number he said ok

does it hurt to ask for it?

oh duncan and manu would sue also

freetiago
06-22-2012, 03:54 PM
pretty close to being blinded his whole life
20 millions a lot but thats just 2 seasons to him and whatever he could make from the olympics
should be sueing drake/chris brown

ploto
06-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Kind of ironic that a guy who owns a club is suing some other club for getting glass in his eye there. I hope his security can control everything that everyone does in his club in SA.

ohmwrecker
06-22-2012, 05:19 PM
There is no e in suing.

BackHome
06-22-2012, 06:03 PM
:rolleyes

classy

can you imagine duncan or manu putting themselves in this situation, or reacting in this way?

Your one dumb motha fcker! You fuck your eye up it not like you can get a new one ....:bang

Spurtacus
06-22-2012, 06:11 PM
20 mil is looney tunes man. I understand wanting to get paid for an injury but was it really the clubs fault.

timvp
06-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Now let's blame Tony Parker for the existence of lawyers. Good one, Spurs fan.

Cane
06-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Makes up for the lack of big market endorsements :downspin:

BatManu20
06-22-2012, 08:16 PM
:greedy

CubanMustGo
06-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Kind of ironic that a guy who owns a club is suing some other club for getting glass in his eye there. I hope his security can control everything that everyone does in his club in SA.

Kind of ironic that ploto once again posts something critical of something a Spurs player does.

Sorry, make that kind of expected.

-21-
06-22-2012, 09:18 PM
If his injury was career-threatening serious then 20M sounds pretty fair, that's about a year and a half of his salary. But why sue the club? Go sue Chris Brown and Drake :lol

Tony is lucky his the Spurs best player. If it was another player (outside of the big 3 and Jax) that got in this kind of rumble, Pop and RC would kick that guy out of SA.

Duncan2177
06-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Parker is a greedy motherfucker.

Spur|n|Austin
06-22-2012, 09:26 PM
not unclassy. It's The American Legalistic Way.

He was on commercial property. They (should, which is probably a requirement for city/state operating licenses) have tons of liability insurance. If he wins, it's free money. Why not take it?

:rolleyes

The American Legalistic Way has created a society where people sue for anything and everything. "I'm sorry that your coffee was too hot sir."

dunkman
06-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Parker sustained a serious injury in that club, I'm quite sure he will win the case. Perhaps not for $20M, though.

Reck
06-22-2012, 09:38 PM

If he goes to court this could go on for years. The other lawyers can stretch this for years to come.

Last thing Spurs need as a team is to deal with inpending TP personal bs outside the court.

cd98
06-22-2012, 10:17 PM
If his injury was career-threatening serious then 20M sounds pretty fair, that's about a year and a half of his salary. But why sue the club? Go sue Chris Brown and Drake :lol

Tony is lucky his the Spurs best player. If it was another player (outside of the big 3 and Jax) that got in this kind of rumble, Pop and RC would kick that guy out of SA.

Even if it was career ending, he has a guaranteed contract for at least the next several years.

PublicOption
06-22-2012, 10:38 PM
parker sounds like a pussy......when my daughter was 7months old she scratched my cornea.....it happens....and it sucks..but the eye heals very quickly.

I guess I better sue my daughter, she is 3 now has $35 in her piggy bank..I want it ALL.

PublicOption
06-22-2012, 10:39 PM
.....is parker jewish?

Budkin
06-22-2012, 10:59 PM
.....is parker jewish?

Wow.

BatManu20
06-22-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm blaming Parker for wilting in the playoffs, then hanging out in a club in NEW YORK CITY with Drake and Chris Brown, then getting glass in his eye (jeopardizing his trade value) then suing for 20 million dollars.

nope duncan/manu/robinson would not have been at that club. and nope duncan/manu/robinson would not be suing for 20 million.

Parker's 30 fucking years old.

Being at the same NYC club as Chris Brown and Drake??? Whottt a loser.

He was only in NYC for a couple nights and was there because he was waiting to fly to France to get ready for the Olympics. Don't comment if you don't know your shit.

SamoanTD
06-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Hmmm maybe he will win the money give it to diaw so he will sign for less :stirpot: or maybe I just need to stop talking lol.

dbreiden83080
06-23-2012, 12:49 AM

So Tony is now pussy whipped by his lawyer.. Hope she's hot...

kjhip1
06-23-2012, 03:45 AM
meh...if he wins he gets $20 million..its worth a shot in the dark...

Bill_Brasky
06-23-2012, 04:05 AM
parker sounds like a pussy......when my daughter was 7months old she scratched my cornea.....it happens....and it sucks..but the eye heals very quickly.

I guess I better sue my daughter, she is 3 now has $35 in her piggy bank..I want it ALL.

Your eye isn't the eye of a PG for a playoff basketball team tho

TDMVPDPOY
06-23-2012, 04:48 AM
why isnt he suing the guy that glassed him?....

MaNuMaNiAc
06-23-2012, 07:27 AM
So much feigned outrage in this thread its hard to read through all the bullshit...

jag
06-23-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm blaming Parker for wilting in the playoffs, then hanging out in a club in NEW YORK CITY with Drake and Chris Brown, then getting glass in his eye (jeopardizing his trade value) then suing for 20 million dollars.

nope duncan/manu/robinson would not have been at that club. and nope duncan/manu/robinson would not be suing for 20 million.

:lmao

Dumb motherfucker, there's a reason you're pink.

BatManu20
06-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Seriously though Parker needs to try and stay out of the media for a while after this. This and last years fiasco with Brent Barry's wife make him look a huge tool. C'mon Tony

Spurs da champs
06-23-2012, 02:38 PM
:lmao

Dumb motherfucker, there's a reason you're pink.

Yes because he spoke his mind instead of being a mindless bot.

clambake
06-23-2012, 02:42 PM
you guys should have stood up for your homegirl instead of him.

ducks
06-23-2012, 02:49 PM

manu accordin to timvp stats was the worse player of the big three
he by far much more better games then duncan and manu combined in the postseason

BC3
06-23-2012, 05:32 PM

are you a thug?

Slippy
06-23-2012, 09:40 PM
manu accordin to timvp stats was the worse player of the big three
he by far much more better games then duncan and manu combined in the postseason

had to do a google translation

Tony when matter the least was the better rather than the other big 2 together.

lefty
06-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Wow

Parker is a real asshole :lmao

Fag :lol

Kidd K
06-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Well considering that if he were blinded in one eye he'd have to retire from the NBA I say it's fair.

tbh, if that did happen, 20m isn't fair since Parker's remaining contract is worth 20m, and he's currently in his prime which means he'd be losing an additional 5 years or so on top of that.

In that scenerio, he should be sueing for 50m+ to make up for lost "expected revenue". And 50m is an understatement considering he'd also lose advertising deals and other such things.

jiggy_55
06-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Parker had eye surgery and his eye condition is much worse than originally thought, he says he could have lost his eye.. He has to return to USA on July 5th at the demand of the Spurs and then will know his status for the Olympics..

Someone translate: http://www.tp9.net/mediaboxfr/jai-failli-perdre-mon-oeil-2373.html

racm
06-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Great, a PG with one good eye.

He should invest in sports goggles a la Kareem - the Spurs are doing their best Showtime impression already anyway.

JP le Requin
06-24-2012, 12:14 PM
TP is coming back to NY to check his eye,spurs staff is really worried about him...he almost his eye..and his career..thats why his lawyer sui the club...

he may not play in London if his eye isnt well recovered...on of his dream..i really hope he will play (moreover i bought tickets to see FRANCE VS SPAIN on 15th juilly @ bercy, Paris)

JP le Requin
06-24-2012, 12:16 PM
he is coming back in usa on 5th jully...not before because he cant take an international plane (too long hours maybe)

ginobili fan
06-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Wtf bye bye fnt :bang:bang:bang

DMC
06-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Parker sues the club, forcing the club to sue Drake and his entourage.
If Parker wins, club insurance company pays Parker, Drake pays club's insurance company.
End result, Drake indirectly pays Parker, but Parker can say I didn't sue you.

Parker sues now, because it forces the club to preserve evidence, find witnesses and so on, so the club has a better shot at subrogation.

Damages = cost of medical treatment (easy to prove), possible loss of future salary (speculative at this stage, but by the time of trial maybe not so speculative).

Security is one issue. Another is whether the glass was broken by a drunk. Who served the drunk alcohol?

/thread

DMC
06-24-2012, 12:53 PM
tbh, if that did happen, 20m isn't fair since Parker's remaining contract is worth 20m, and he's currently in his prime which means he'd be losing an additional 5 years or so on top of that.

In that scenerio, he should be sueing for 50m+ to make up for lost "expected revenue". And 50m is an understatement considering he'd also lose advertising deals and other such things.

He cannot sue for what he might lose, only what he has lost. He has to show financial loss. If he loses his career, he can then sue. If he misses the Olympics, that could be worth a lot to him personally though.

MannyIsGod
06-24-2012, 01:22 PM

Why is it ironic? Have there been incidents at Tony's club?

MannyIsGod
06-24-2012, 01:23 PM

:lol

So true.

MannyIsGod
06-24-2012, 01:26 PM
There's a lot of stupid in this thread. The club is in charge of security there and is responsible to make sure bar fights do not happen and that the patrons that visit there are not injured. Thats common fucking sense. So those of you saying that the club somehow didn't have a responsibility to prevent a brawl from occurring on its premises are out of your minds.

Agloco
06-24-2012, 02:25 PM

In papers filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, Parker holds W.i.P.’s owners responsible for the “corneal laceration of the left eye and other injuries”

:tu

In my haste, I didn't notice the error.

Regardless, I'm thinking that Parker's cornea is of comparable valuable to his retina tbh.

:lol 20 million

BackHome
06-24-2012, 03:49 PM
He cannot sue for what he might lose, only what he has lost. He has to show financial loss. If he loses his career, he can then sue. If he misses the Olympics, that could be worth a lot to him personally though.

So you can't sue for pain and suffering?

wut
06-24-2012, 08:34 PM
So you can't sue for pain and suffering?
You can, but here's the deal, to be awarded for pain and suffering you must prove that the accused maliciously intended to cause you pain. That will be a tough sell since the club is the accused and the claim is that the club knowingly gave alcohol to two waring groups which caused the damages. I doubt you could successfully claim that the club maliciously gave alcohol to both groups with the intent of hurting Parker.

TDMVPDPOY
06-24-2012, 08:37 PM
so how come he didnt fight back, let alone the douchebag he was hanging out with, let alone his freeloading entourage???......

wut
06-24-2012, 08:56 PM
You can, but here's the deal, to be awarded for pain and suffering you must prove that the accused maliciously intended to cause you pain. That will be a tough sell since the club is the accused and the claim is that the club knowingly gave alcohol to two waring groups which caused the damages. I doubt you could successfully claim that the club maliciously gave alcohol to both groups with the intent of hurting Parker.
To further my point, Parker will most likely receive damages caused by an injury that took place at the club, since it is the clubs responsibility to insure the safety of its guests. This won't be too difficult to prove with a good lawyer.

A lot of people don't realize that they're responsible for what happens on their property even if it's the guests fault; if proven to be neglect by the owner.

BackHome
06-25-2012, 06:19 PM
so how come he didnt fight back, let alone the douchebag he was hanging out with, let alone his freeloading entourage???......

TD - You even been in a fight much less a free for all brawl? Probably not then you would be asking stupid ass questions. How the hell you going to fight against a bottle that someone through from probably thirty feet away in the dark?

vy65
06-25-2012, 09:53 PM
This is stupid and the lawsuit should be dismissed. First, the idea that the club should have known not to allow Brown and Drake to enter the club at the same time is completely dumb. Are club owners now required to determine if potential customers have personal conflicts that could lead to a bar fight and to exclude one of the parties to avoid the conflict so they can evade liability? Who do they exclude?

Second, he has a "corneal laceration" due to his participation in the fight, which probably subjects him to some proportionate responsibility for his injuries (if he backed away from the fight and left the establishment then he wouldn't have gotten injured- i.e. pull a Carmelo), and the real culprit are Brown and Drake and their respective possies. Why didn't he sue them?

Finally, the "corneal laceration" will sideline him for one week, and he has somehow suffered $20 million in damages? Nonsense. This is classic "man slips in front of a public library" logic. I hope he loses, and loses big time.

This is fucking retarded. For one, it completely ignores the fact that Drake and Chris Brown are celebrities whose beef is national entertainment news. Put in terms of the standard tony will argue, WiP knew or should have known that letting in celebrities with a history of animosity, into a crowded club serving alcohol, is a good recipe for bad shit happening.

For two, there's no allegation that Tony was throwing punches. He got injured protecting his girlfriend, not fucking one of the rappers up. There's no basis for claiming contributory negligence. Plus you're confusing a criminal standard for the justification of violence - withdrawal. That has no relevance here. Who does tony sue from the entourages? How can he know which one caused the eye injury? This is a law school problem that illustrates the need for joint and several liability. From Tony's perspective, it's legally easier to sue the club.

I have no idea what "slipping in front of a library logic" is or it's relevance here. Eye injuries are scary. Maybe not 20 mm, but plaintiffs always exaggerate their damages in the hopes of moving the ball when this shit eventually settles.

vy65
06-25-2012, 09:54 PM
There's a lot of stupid in this thread. The club is in charge of security there and is responsible to make sure bar fights do not happen and that the patrons that visit there are not injured. Thats common fucking sense. So those of you saying that the club somehow didn't have a responsibility to prevent a brawl from occurring on its premises are out of your minds.

This.

There's a reason premises liability exists.

vy65
06-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Plus the fact that tony probably was dropping some serious cash to be in the club -- a pretty good basis for arguing the club owes him a higher duty of care viz. security.

senorglory
06-26-2012, 02:23 AM
Plenty lawyers in this thread.

ace3g
07-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Rapper The Game disses Tony Parker for filing lawsuit in Drake vs. Chris Brown fight:

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2012/07/02/rapper.game.disses.tony.parker.filing.lawsuit.drak e.vs.chris.brown.fight.thats.ho

DesignatedT
07-02-2012, 09:45 PM
lol

Sean Cagney
07-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Rapper The Game disses Tony Parker for filing lawsuit in Drake vs. Chris Brown fight:

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2012/07/02/rapper.game.disses.tony.parker.filing.lawsuit.drak e.vs.chris.brown.fight.thats.ho
WTF is with Games voice nowadays and his newer styles, he was nice before but dude just flat out sucks now IMO.

Spurs da champs
07-03-2012, 12:17 AM

:lol...So true!

"That's hoe shit!"

Sean Cagney
07-03-2012, 01:50 AM

"That's hoe shit!"

Whats funny is I was a huge fan of Game for a while, but he said never dissing legends and you Jigga and so on! THEN he goes and disses so and so and then pulls it back and says I was not dissing them or retracts it lol! Dude is bipolar as hell it seems! Game is or was very talented, but dude is bipolar as hell.

BTW TONY you were out there that late and you got hit by something bro, thats the par of the course! You take the risk for that being out that late and with a certain crowd bro! Be luck you did not lose your eye nor get shot like some do! You got dough why sue for your being out at the wrong time? It's life TONY.

racm
07-03-2012, 03:07 AM
How many championship rings does The Game have?

spursfan09
07-03-2012, 05:46 AM
:lol people trying to say its tony fault because he put himself in this position. If any regular joe was at TPs night club and a fight broke out and you suffered an eye injury that could damage your carrier believe me; you would be suing Tony in a heartbeat

Sense
07-03-2012, 06:31 AM

"That's hoe shit!"

:lol I guess this one's warranted coming from the poster with "da" in his name.

It's funny that he likes to call out NBA stars.. and out of everyone Tony Parker.:lol, it would have been funnier had he mentioned his rap album rather than something any logical man would have done, and the best thing he has is "HOE SHIT".