PDA

View Full Version : What's the market value of our assets in terms of draft picks?

venitian navigator
06-24-2012, 04:37 AM
I frankly have the impression that lots of people think it is not that much.
But it's really weird seeing hypotetical trades for pick like Parker and Splitter for Portland 6 and 11.

So that's my current (maybe optimistic) wiew about the potential trades for this year draft picks considerin our main assets (for reason related to age I didn't consider Tim, Manu and Jackson: they're obvioulsy a lot more valueable to our team than for anybody else in terms of market value; nor Leonard - too much Spurs written on him - nor the free agents we have or could have still some rights about - like Diaw, Green, Anderson, Mills, Byars nor Joseph 'cause actually he didn't show his game at the nba level nor players we have rights but never playerd till now for us - like Lorbek, Sanikidze, Hanga, Javtokas, Bertans etc etc).

Parker : he's just 30 years old and come from a season when he's been considered as mvp, clearly a top five, and jhas run as the main player our vteam to the best regular season record of the year.
His market value is higher than ever.
More than this he brings the commodity to attract other french free agents, such Diaw and Batum...and that should be a very important perspective for a team like Portland.
He's still a player you can build a franchise if you want your team to immediatly be in play offs consideration and staying there for at least the next three years.

MV (market value) : aside Davis, he could be worth more than the rest of the top draft picks just by himself. Starting from the n° 2 pick of Charlotte plus players or future dfart picks. Possibly a package of the n° 6 and 11 plus something else from Portland

Splitter : considering today names and Drummond rapid fall on the board in these days, there's no big outside of Davis and Robinson with an higher value. Splitter is just 26, in the prime of his energy and already nba proven. Has one of the best ratio of production for minutes played. One of the best pick and rolls as a big in the nba and plays defense (if given the chance to play minutes).

MV : any draft pick after the "big five" names (Davis, Barnes, Beal, Robinson, MKG) so startin from the n° 6 pick or combination of picks and players comparable to that value.

Blair : just 22 years old. His contract is fantastic for any team giving the chance to cut him just after the season if he doesn't work m(differently from picks contracts). Started quite all season for a team that's been always with a play off record. Given the minutes and a system with more freedom, he showed he can be a terrific offensive machine also against the best defensive teams (see his regular season games against OKC) with games in double double for points and rebounds.

MV : any draft pick starting from the n° 15 or a combination comparable to this value (ex. Boston n° 21 and 22 or Cleveland 24, 33 and 34)

Neal : just 26 years old and so in his prime. Also his contract is fantastic for the same reasons of Blair. Has shown the unique ability to shoot in any way and expecially from three point range, included last second shots in play off games. A wonderful commodity from the bench with veteran experience and the chance to also play point guard for some minutes if necessary.

MV : any draft pick starting from n° 23 or a combination comparable to this value ( ex . cleveland 24 and 34). However, I see him as a very good fit for a team like Atlanta)

Bonner : not old. Can shoot from three point range anytime and at a wonderful percentage (one of the best in years in the nba). Knows his role. He probably has made his time for our team. A good commodity for a team that needs his skills, and really valueable for all the regulars season games.

MV : a late pick from first round coming from teams deluded of what has reamined available (from 27 going on) or a middle second round (valueable the same of a late first draft pick 'cause no cap space touched)

Slippy
06-24-2012, 06:11 AM
MV : any draft pick after the "big five" names (Davis, Barnes, Beal, Robinson, MKG) so startin from the n° 6 pick or combination of picks and players comparable to that value.

If the ideal big happens to be available it would make sense to do a trade. If Pop views Splitter more than just a back-up to Tim moving forward then probably not.

mountainballer
06-24-2012, 06:51 AM
a 1st round pick for Bonner??????????????????????????????
kid, get real.
a mid 1st round pick for Blair???????????????????????????????????
a 1st rounder PLUS a 2nd rounder for Neal?????????????????????????????

sorry, but this is some of the greatest nonsense ever written on this site. and this site definitely isn't nonsense free.

SamoanTD
06-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Blair-2nd rounder mid late
Bonner- probably can't get anything unless in package
Neal-2nd round mid
Splitter-Same as Neal

Also depends on the other teams needs. So maybe the early 2nd round picks of cleveland (one or the other).

Kidd K
06-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Blair-2nd rounder mid late
Bonner- probably can't get anything unless in package
Neal-2nd round mid
Splitter-Same as Neal

Also depends on the other teams needs. So maybe the early 2nd round picks of cleveland (one or the other).

You're undervaluing Blair, Splitter and Neal.

Neal can get an early 2nd rounder, Splitter could get a late first rounder if not an upper/mid first rounder. Bigs are rare and valuble. Odds of finding a "Splitter" caliber big in the draft at around 16-20 who will play NOW are piss poor low. Best thing you could get is a slightly worse version of Andre Jordan. No offense, mediocre rebounding, mediocre defense, but can occaisionally get some weak side blocks and some uncontested dunks.

So if a team wants a big, and the ones on the FA market are too expensive or lame, I could see a team trading a 16-20 for him. Possibly with a scrub throw in with Splitter or some sort of salary move in exchange.

With Blair, you could straight up get a late 1st rounder with (26-30, or at worst very early 2nd round). He can score and rebound. Some team (in the east most likely, since the bigs there tend to be mediocre and/or undersized), would make that deal.

Bonner though, yeah you won't get shit Bonner besides a super late 2nd rounder + a scrub who gets paid slightly less than Bonner and would instantly get cut from the team or be benched for the entire season and used solely as a body for team practice.

dunkman
06-24-2012, 09:28 AM
The Spurs were unable to get a first rounder for Scola. On the other hand, Hill was traded for the 15th and 42th overall picks and Lorbek's rights.

So it depends how bad a team wants a player, if it's an yet to be rookie of his buyout and other considerations, the age is important too. If a team is a champion with chances to repeat, they get no fair trades.

Blair was 37th overall and is a serviceable bigman, his salary is very low, he's 23, I would say he could be worth an near the bottom first rounder. Few second rounders make it to the NBA, so why would the Spurs trade to get one?

Neal is a combo guard as Hill, he can create his shot and has good handles, but he's 27, not that athletic and can't defend PG's. He has a low contract, I would say he wouldn't command an first rounder and has more value for the Spurs than for other teams.

Bonner is 32 or so, with ~4M salary, he shots great but never in playoffs and tbh the Spurs could get a near bottom first rounder for him only if its packaged with an longer 4M/year bad contract.

MR-Clutch
06-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I wonder what bertans and hanga's value is.

CGD
06-24-2012, 10:19 AM
I dont agree with your conclusions, but the thought is a good one. Splitter in particular is an interesting chip especially after the top 4 bigs in the draft are gone.

CGD
06-24-2012, 10:27 AM
The thing that screws up TP's value for draft purposes, is that the team he would go to would have to be a PG away from being a viable playoff team. In other words, teams like Charlotte, Wizards, Cavs, and Kings (who pick 2-6), are either in strict rebuild mode or already have a young PG they hope to build around.

The first team in the top 10, therefore, that could go for a TP is Portland at 7 since they have a young core of Aldridge and Batum already in place, and really are an elite PG away from being a solid playoff team. If you're the Spurs though, a package to get the 7th pick starts making a lot less sense doesn't it? If for example, a team like the Jazz had acquired a top 5 pick, that may make more sense bc they are clearly a good PG away from being a solid team.

timvp
06-24-2012, 03:06 PM
It makes no sense to trade Parker from the Spurs point of view so it's pointless to figure his market value in the draft.

I would think that Splitter would be worth a first round pick. Earlier in the season, he was probably worth close to a lottery pick. After he flamed out in the playoffs, he's probably ~15 at best.

Blair not being able to be insured keeps is value as a second round pick.

Neal's value is also a second round pick, IMO.

Bonner has negative value. You'd have to give a team a pick to take on his salary.

rascal
06-24-2012, 07:07 PM
You over rated all the values of the Spurs.

Parker's eye injury has made his value fall.

AFBlue
06-24-2012, 09:00 PM
It just takes one team. I don't think many saw George Hill as netting a pick just outside the lottery. The Pacers had need and saw no real value at their spot. I would look to teams with multiple first round picks or late first round picks and offer Blair and/or Neal. Might not work in this deep of a draft, but you never know.

SenorSpur
06-24-2012, 09:28 PM
I find it highly unlikely that the Spurs could conceivably be able to trade into the first round. Of course, no one saw last year's deal coming either. Personally, I don't feel as though the Spurs even need to trade into the first round. They should be able to get a solid, young PF/C type in the second round. That said, the ideal scenario would be for the Spurs to be able to part with either Bonner or Blair for an early or mid second round pick.

TD 21
06-24-2012, 09:42 PM
It just takes one team. I don't think many saw George Hill as netting a pick just outside the lottery. The Pacers had need and saw no real value at their spot. I would look to teams with multiple first round picks or late first round picks and offer Blair and/or Neal. Might not work in this deep of a draft, but you never know.

Exactly.

Splitter is worth a lottery pick. I don't buy that one poor playoff showing is going to alter his value. Its not like this was a fringe prospect, who may have played over his head during the regular season (such as Green) or a perennial playoff choker (such as Bonner).

Blair is worth a late 1st - early 2nd. More likely, early 2nd. A year ago, I think they'd have had a better shot at a late 1st. Then, he had two seasons left on his rookie contract and was still an elite rebounder.

Neal is worth an early 2nd. Even though he'd be a sixth man on some teams, I just can't imagine a player as athletically limited as him being worth more. Like Blair, the fact that he's now a season away from a significant raise doesn't help matters.

Bonner has little to no value on his own. But paired with more attractive players (Splitter, Blair, Neal, even Jackson, because of his big expiring contract), he shouldn't be difficult to move. Stretch fours are all the rage now and in the regular season, Bonner just so happens to be one of the best. Sure, he's a bonafide playoff choker, but as I've said before, Spurs fans view their players within' the context of, can (insert player) be a rotation player on a championship team? But the vast majority of general managers in the league aren't even dreaming of realistically contending, so they don't think in those terms. They're merely trying to plug holes and in many cases, keep/extend their jobs. And there's been a lot worse contracts digested over the years than one guaranteed season, at $3.63 million. Even if it is for a one dimensional, proven choker.

SenorSpur
06-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Bonner could probably be moved to a team that is desparate for 3-pt shooting. Of course, it would likely have to be a non-playoff contending team because as everyone knows, Bonner has proven time and again that he is simply a regular season player only.

cd98
06-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Spurs won't do anything in this draft. They don't have the assets to get a high draft pick and no one in the first round is worth trading any of our significant pieces for.

Vic Petro
06-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Cleveland (#33, 34) and Portland (#40, 41) both have 4 draft picks including two in the 2nd round. I'd imagine the Spurs will call both about Blair and/or Bonner.

venitian navigator
06-25-2012, 09:31 AM
It makes no sense to trade Parker from the Spurs point of view so it's pointless to figure his market value in the draft.

I would think that Splitter would be worth a first round pick. Earlier in the season, he was probably worth close to a lottery pick. After he flamed out in the playoffs, he's probably ~15 at best.

Blair not being able to be insured keeps is value as a second round pick.

Neal's value is also a second round pick, IMO.

Bonner has negative value. You'd have to give a team a pick to take on his salary.

I can understand the logic in not trading Parker...but undeniably the time to sell him, if we're gonna ever sell him, is now.
Otherwise, ok, let's go to war with him till Timmy decides to play...but it's obvious that the less Tim is playing the more arise the chance for Parker to be traded soon.
Imho retaining Parker makes sense only if Tim decides to play for at least other three seasons...also in a lesser role.
This year he was fantastic and I dob't see, considering his kind of game and how many bigs can play regular season games including a great part of his minutes, why he should play less years than K. Malone or Jabbar.

Coming to the other players, frankly I think you're being too much objective and, maybe, also objectively undervaluing them.

All of them have been players decisive in the regular season for the team with the best regular season record : after a season like this, their value can only be considered higher than it normally could be...

Plus, differently than rookies, all of them have already proved many times they are legitimate nba players...

Plus, all of them have just one more year of contract and that only, considering the impending new salary rules, it's a wonderful quality in a trading perspective (first round picks have at least two years guaranteed).

In any case, if I were a Spurs GM, I would never end ever trade one of these players for the value you propose.

At this point, just one more season with Neal, Blair, Splitter and, ok, Bonner (but only for the regular season games) is better than some unproven, and probably unsigned after training camp, player...

elemento
06-25-2012, 09:51 AM
What AFBlue said

Tony Parker is still our most valuable piece. He could net us a really good lottery pick.

Blair and Neal could net an early 2nd or a late 1st round pick, especially among teams that don't have time to develop players and want players that can help them right now.

Splitter is worth a lottery pick easily. People may not be satisfied with his performance against OKC, but he could be the starting Center of many teams in the NBA.

9.3 points/5.2 rebounds/0.8 block FG 61.8% / TS 64.9% PER 20.5 19 min per game

PER 36

17.6ppg / 9.8rpg / 1.5bpg

Improved FT
2011 – 54.3%
2012 – 69.1%

This is a starting Center material not playing enough minutes because he is TD's backup.

The only guy i don't see having any value is Bonner. Maybe for Toronto considering he is a fan favorite there, for a 2nd round pick. Other than that, he is pure salary-dump.

elemento
06-25-2012, 09:52 AM
What AFBlue said

Tony Parker is still our most valuable piece. He could net us a really good lottery pick.

Blair and Neal could net an early 2nd or a late 1st round pick, especially among teams that don't have time to develop players and want players that can help them right now.

Splitter is worth a lottery pick easily. People may not be satisfied with his performance against OKC, but he could be the starting Center of many teams in the NBA.

9.3 points/5.2 rebounds/0.8 block FG 61.8% / TS 64.9% PER 20.5 19 min per game

PER 36

17.6ppg / 9.8rpg / 1.5bpg

Improved FT
2011 – 54.3%
2012 – 69.1%

This is a starting Center material not playing enough minutes because he is TD's backup.

The only guy i don't see having any value is Bonner. Maybe for Toronto considering he is a fan favorite there, for a 2nd round pick. Other than that, he is pure salary-dump.

weebo
06-25-2012, 10:04 AM
All this speculation doesn't mean jack until Tim's situation is resolved. If Tim resigns, we keep the same team and tweak it here and there. However, if Tim decides to call it a day we blow this mutha up and start the rebuilding process.

Dex
06-25-2012, 10:25 AM

And a back rub....or a fat dime bag tbh......

Then again, they managed to turn Richard Jefferson into Stephen fuckin' Jackson, so after that magic trick of epic proportions, anything is possible, I suppose.

Keepin' it real
06-25-2012, 11:17 AM
I can understand the logic in not trading Parker...but undeniably the time to sell him, if we're gonna ever sell him, is now.

The best time to trade Parker would have been after the 2007 title and Parker's Finals MVP. But hindsight is 20-20, as they say.