PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Williams wants only Nets or Mavs

#41 Shoot Em Up
06-24-2012, 02:06 PM
When NBA free agency begins at midnight July 1, Brooklyn Nets star guard Deron Williams will be choosing from a two-team list that only features the Nets and the Dallas Mavericks, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com on Saturday night that, while this summer's No. 1 free agent remains "up in the air" about which team he'll ultimately chose, Williams already has made the decision to narrow his list of potential destinations to those two franchises.

Other teams, including the Phoenix Suns, Portland Trail Blazers and Houston Rockets, had been hoping to lodge their own bids for Williams once free agency begins, sources said. The Los Angeles Lakers, likewise have continued to express interest in a sign-and-trade package built around Pau Gasol for Williams, sources say, despite the Nets' longstanding insistence that they have no interest in Gasol and would only consider such a move if they were getting back All-Star center Andrew Bynum, whom the Lakers have not made available.

Sources say Williams, in any case, already has instructed his representatives to advise any team that calls starting at 12:01 a.m. July 1 that he intends to either re-sign with the Nets or return to his hometown with the Mavericks after a glittering high school career in the Dallas area.

The Nets have expressed confidence all season in their ability to retain Williams, pointing to the team's forthcoming move to Brooklyn, increased off-court marketing opportunities for Williams with a team bound for New York and the fact that Russian billionaire owner Mikhail Prokhorov can offer a contract one-year longer than Dallas can worth nearly $100 million.

The maximum four-year offer the Mavericks can counter with approaches $75 million. But sources close to the process say Williams has ruled out every other suitor apart from the 2011 champions because of his respect for Mavs cornerstones Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Kidd and his belief that owner Mark Cuban would make the follow-up moves necessary to return Dallas to title contention after a first-round exit in the 2012 playoffs.

While Williams is already settled in the New York area and known to have enjoyed his time living there, sources say he already has done some preliminary househunting in Dallas this month in the event that he chooses to return to the Western Conference. He's been with the Brooklyn-bound club since Feb. 23, 2011, when the Utah Jazz followed up the New York Knicks' acquisition of Carmelo Anthony by dealing Williams to Prokhorov's Nets, who had chased Anthony for months.

During a promotional appearance in Los Angeles earlier this month, Williams made it clear that he'll choose the team he feels is best positioned to contend for a championship fastest, expressing disappointment that he has tasted very little of the playoffs since leading Utah to the Western Conference finals in 2007.

"I want to go to a place where I feel like they will have a chance to build and build fast," Williams told the Los Angeles Times. "I'm not really in the mood for being part of a rebuilding process. I'm getting older. I'm about to be 28. I want to win. I want to win now. Also, I want to live in a place where I want to live and my kids will enjoy living. That's pretty much it."

The decision, then, would appear to be riding on which team's future he rates higher.

The Nets are hoping the expected re-signing of swingman Gerald Wallace, big man Brook Lopez's pending return from foot trouble and Prokhorov's pledge to keep trying to trade for Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard ultimately will convince Williams to stay.

The Mavs' pitch centers around Nowitzki's proven ability to lead a team to a championship, Cuban's history of repeatedly reloading the roster and Dallas' contention that the path to the Finals might be slightly easier in the West in spite of the Oklahoma City Thunder's collection of talented youngsters, given that several of the West's top contenders -- such as San Antonio and the Lakers -- have older rosters.

Williams' mother, Denise Smith, told ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan in an interview this week that even she doesn't know which team Williams will choose. But she did say she expects her son to end the suspense quickly.

"No, no I don't (know)," Smith told ESPNDallas.com by phone from her home in the Dallas suburb of The Colony. "I thought he was going one way and another time thought he was going another way."

"I think he and his agent have gone over all of the possibilities and I think it (his decision) will be made pretty fast," Smith continued. "I think he wants it out of the way, just because I know I'm asked every day, so I know he's asked a million times.

Williams and his wife, Amy, who first met in the second grade, have four children. In recent offseasons, though, Williams has based his family in Utah, San Diego and Manhattan, preferring to keep some distance from his Texas roots.

The All-Star guard is scheduled to join his Team USA teammates in Las Vegas on July 5 for the first day of training camp before the London Olympics, but Williams will likely be forced to sit out practices until July 11, which is the first day new contracts can legally be signed this offseason.

weebo
06-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Deron Williams is overrated.

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 02:32 PM
He would be great paired with Dirk, but doesn't vault Dallas to the top. He'd be a great start though.

pass1st
06-24-2012, 03:06 PM
D-will is pulling a D12, tbh. Won't just pull the fucking trigger

djohn2oo8
06-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Seeing how Dwight won't get traded to Brooklyn and Deron isn't resigning, let the waiting game begin.

mavs>spurs
06-24-2012, 04:54 PM
i don't want him for anywhere near the max, nor more than 4 years.

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Well that's good, because Mavs can only offer him a 4 year deal.

mavs>spurs
06-24-2012, 04:57 PM
4 years 55 million sounds good to me

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-24-2012, 05:01 PM
When Chimpbrook gets 5 years 80 million Deron Williams isn't settling for det.

mavs>spurs
06-24-2012, 05:04 PM
then let his ass rot in new jersey imo, he's not good value for that kind of money. he'll be 28 in a couple days, may have only a couple more prime years left as far as we know, and shot 40% from the field this past season. i could care less about deron fucking williams if the FO thinks that this is the move that's going to make it worth letting Tyson go and not even defending our championship.

djohn2oo8
06-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Crazy how Howard is holding up everything.

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Ya - that was a la la land post unless D-will surprises to allow for them to add more. Dallas is in a very tight spot, even with him. They will need an entire roster filled out and likely between 30-40M tied up in just two guys (dirk and d-will).

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-24-2012, 05:06 PM
then let his ass rot in new jersey imo, he's not good value for that kind of money. he'll be 28 in a couple days, may have only a couple more prime years left as far as we know, and shot 40% from the field this past season. i could care less about deron fucking williams if the FO thinks that this is the move that's going to make it worth letting Tyson go and not even defending our championship.
Agreed. There isn't a point guard in the NBA worth a max contract, especially one who hasn't been relevant or notably good for 2 years now.

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 05:09 PM
I still don't get Cuban's thinking with this move unless he swipes Dwight and Deron (which is such a long shot - but its possible).

Deron is still elite - playing with crappy talent makes everyone look worse. He had to take more bad shots than he normally would and still had some incredible games.

mavs>spurs
06-24-2012, 05:14 PM
I still don't get Cuban's thinking with this move unless he swipes Dwight and Deron (which is such a long shot - but its possible).

Deron is still elite - playing with crappy talent makes everyone look worse. He had to take more bad shots than he normally would and still had some incredible games.

well see that's what we'd like to THINK but can in no real way actually confirm until next year gets here..and you don't pay top dollar for a gamble. the only way i want him is at a discount, otherwise he isn't making us any better.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-24-2012, 05:15 PM

At this point the thinking is Cuban better come away with something to show for letting Chandler leave, or else he'll look really stupid.

Teams make similar mistakes all the time tbh, however I've never seen a GM/owner make the mistake right after the player he just let go played a pivotal role on a championship team. Usually it's an owner/GM who overreacts to a disappointing playoff loss and assumes they grass must be greener on the other side.

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 05:17 PM
I guess you just have to consider the alternatives. PG's - right or wrong - command a good amount of money. You don't get Parker like values very often. He will definitely make Dallas better, but how much is the key? If he gets a 15M+ contract, Dallas doesn't have a lot to work with and currently a gutted roster.

But there really isn't anyone better and you have to spend the money.

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 05:18 PM
At this point the thinking is Cuban better come away with something to show for letting Chandler leave, or else he'll look really stupid.

Teams make similar mistakes all the time tbh, however I've never seen a GM/owner make the mistake right after the player he just let go played a pivotal role on a championship team. Usually it's an owner/GM who overreacts to a disappointing playoff loss and assumes they grass must be greener on the other side.

Agreed and the strangest part of all is that he could of had his cake and eaten it too IMO. There is no question (barring injury) that he could have kept the team together, signed Tyson and then salary dumped him to a long line of suitors if all he wanted was cap space.

But he valued the cap space so much he wanted in guaranteed.

mavs>spurs
06-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Cuban is such a basketball retard outside of 1 lucky shot in the dark with Tyson in 2011, he's starting to become the new jerry jones. let's not forget originally they brought in Tyson as an extension of the dust chip and wanted to part with him by the deadline, it was not some genius calculated move. he needs to hire a competent GM and stay the hell out of the way. if he would have put a competent defensive big next to dirk all these years, dirk would have more than 1 ring. anyone with a brain for basketball can see this is the type of player who complements dirk so perfectly.

instead, he'd rather fawn over pg's. think about it, every move the mavs have made through the years was centered around the pg position. when they brought in jason terry, he was originally our starting pg for the first year or 2. then he fawned over devin harris for a while, then hyped up the kidd trade as if our missing piece was at the pg position. while i don't disagree with the trade, it was TYSON who put us over the top NOT jason kidd. he's like the anti-DoK in this regard and it drives me nuts.

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Cuban has a lot of pressure to do something too. With making a bold move and blowing up a championship team squad in a shortened season - he has to make himself look smart. Signing a big name like Deron is about the only way to even get started. Even that will look bad if he doesn't add to it a few months down the road.

clambake
06-24-2012, 05:47 PM
nothing at all like jerry jones.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-24-2012, 05:47 PM
It just goes to show that for every team that guts its roster and successfully completes a bold free agency plan (Miami), there are countless teams that gut their roster and have to overpay/settle for the scraps out of desparation because their free agency plan didn't pan out, or they didn't have a plan (Detroit settling on Ben Gordon and Charlie V, New York settling on Amare, New Jersey settling on Anthony Morrow/Farmar, Chicago settling on Boozer, Phoenix settling on Turk/Warrick/Childress, etc.).

Pinning your hopes on a miracle free agency class just isn't a recipe for success.

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Especially when you don't have guys that spend a ton of time together and are great friends (bosh, wade & lebron).

I absolutely don't get why teams like NJ, PHX or DET did what they did. I get NY - Amare is a premier player, Chi got Boozer who is solid and fits well offensively, but if you whiff, you don't overpay average/below average guys just because you have money. Keep that cap space and make yourself available for salary dumps for players with more upside.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-24-2012, 05:53 PM
New Jersey had a plan and it backfired once they realized Jay-Z was the only reason 2010 free agents were paying them attention. I don't think the Suns had a plan at all beyond, "Grrr! I'm so mad at how Amare played in the WCF against Gasol! I'll be damned if I pay him the max!"

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 05:55 PM
But you don't just spend for the sake of it. If you whiff, you fill out the roster with value and keep the flexibility - you don't spend big bucks and give long deals to players like Childress, Gordon/Charlie V...

mavs>spurs
06-24-2012, 05:57 PM
But you don't just spend for the sake of it. If you whiff, you fill out the roster with value and keep the flexibility - you don't spend big bucks and give long deals to players like Childress, Gordon/Charlie V...

agreed, but this conflicts with what you just said a minute ago:

But there really isn't anyone better and you have to spend the money.

This is why I just don't want to give Deron the max. I have a terrible gut feeling that we'd regret it, sooner rather than later even. You can always go back next offseason and spend money you didn't spend before, but you can't so easily undo an awful crippling contract that will dictate your flexibility for years to come.

racm
06-24-2012, 05:58 PM
It just goes to show that for every team that guts its roster and successfully completes a bold free agency plan (Miami), there are countless teams that gut their roster and have to overpay/settle for the scraps out of desparation because their free agency plan didn't pan out, or they didn't have a plan (Detroit settling on Ben Gordon and Charlie V, New York settling on Amare, New Jersey settling on Anthony Morrow/Farmar, Chicago settling on Boozer, Phoenix settling on Turk/Warrick/Childress, etc.).

Pinning your hopes on a miracle free agency class just isn't a recipe for success.

Which is why barring the Richard Jefferson fiasco (which was actually a trade) the Spurs have largely avoided the crapshoot of aiming at big name FAs and choosing to develop talent through the draft, then adding pieces via free agency.

It's a model so successful they got beat by a team whose GM worked in the Spurs FO, not to mention that FOs left and right are poaching staff from San Antonio or Oklahoma City.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-24-2012, 05:58 PM
I agree completely. The Suns' situation was particularly dumb. Sarver was giving long term deals out to Childress, Warrick, and Frye, while he was also telling Suns fans about how the new CBA was gonna have stuff that made giving role players long term deals even more stupid :lol

The best was when Sarver had a presser specifically about how the new CBA was gonna have franchise tags like the NFL which was gonna help the Suns retain free agents in the future. I'm pretty sure Sarver has no idea what a franchise tag is :lol. A franchise tag means you can match the offer any other team gives a player, which he had the opportunity to do with both Joe Johnson and Amare :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Which is why barring the Richard Jefferson fiasco (which was actually a trade) the Spurs have largely avoided the crapshoot of aiming at big name FAs and choosing to develop talent through the draft, then adding pieces via free agency.

It's a model so successful they got beat by a team whose GM worked in the Spurs FO, not to mention that FOs left and right are poaching staff from San Antonio or Oklahoma City.
The draft and also trades. The Spurs being able to build entirely through the draft was a special occasion. Most successful teams build their core through a combo of drafting and trades.

nowhereman523
06-24-2012, 06:00 PM
How are we so far in this thread without anyone mentioning 57 points?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOrEWxAuDUQ

mavs>spurs
06-24-2012, 06:02 PM

one game against the bobcats imo

monosylab1k
06-24-2012, 06:04 PM
At this point Cuban has to sign D Will. The fans are already pissed off about letting Chandler and Barea go. If he then whiffs on Deron, there will be a fan mutiny in Dallas. I still understand what Cuban was thinking, but as the Triple D Dynasty looks less and less likely, Cuban is looking more and more retarded.

I think Deron signs here. What is more important this offseason is Donnie drafting a decent player in the 1st round, since that hasn't happened in fucking forever.

racm
06-24-2012, 06:07 PM
I agree completely. The Suns' situation was particularly dumb. Sarver was giving long term deals out to Childress, Warrick, and Frye, while he was also telling Suns fans about how the new CBA was gonna have stuff that made giving role players long term deals even more stupid :lol

The best was when Sarver had a presser specifically about how the new CBA was gonna have franchise tags like the NFL which was gonna help the Suns retain free agents in the future. I'm pretty sure Sarver has no idea what a franchise tag is :lol. A franchise tag means you can match the offer any other team gives a player, which he had the opportunity to do with both Joe Johnson and Amare :lol

To be fair, it wasn't his fault Atlanta panicked and made Joe Johnson synonymous with albatross contracts. Amare leaving for the only coached he loved (and picking up an albatross contract in the process) was probably his fault too.

Really, it shows how good Nash was that his teammates were all eventually overpaid.

And I doubt the Spurs would have reached the WCF this year if RC didn't ship George Hill (a solid combo guard, but IMO not a piece to put you over the top) for Kawhi Leonard (who is a stud) and the rights to Lorbek (who should be an upgrade over Bonner, unless he decides money is more important)

Not as impressive as a rookie dropping 55 IMO

mavs>spurs
06-24-2012, 06:08 PM
It's too bad all this didn't happen just a year later. Next years draft class features both CP3 and Bynum as unrestricted free agents.

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 06:11 PM
agreed, but this conflicts with what you just said a minute ago:

This is why I just don't want to give Deron the max. I have a terrible gut feeling that we'd regret it, sooner rather than later even. You can always go back next offseason and spend money you didn't spend before, but you can't so easily undo an awful crippling contract that will dictate your flexibility for years to come.

I guess we differ on where we rank Deron. I said you don't spend money on average players - Deron is a very top talent (even if you don't agree about the impact). That is why I don't blame NY for Amare. They missed on Lebron, but Amare was an impact player and the best you can do. Deron is an impact player and the best they can do this year IMO. He isn't in the same mold of doing what NJ did or PHX.

racm
06-24-2012, 06:11 PM
It's too bad all this didn't happen just a year later. Next years draft class features both CP3 and Bynum as unrestricted free agents.

Not to mention barring a trade, Dwight Howard.

I'd take the injury prone guy who dropped 30 boards over the team cancer who dogged it to get his coach fired, though. :downspin:

djohn2oo8
06-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Not to mention barring a trade, Dwight Howard.

I'd take the injury prone guy who dropped 30 boards over the team cancer who dogged it to get his coach fired, though. :downspin:
Howard got his coach fired too.

racm
06-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Howard got his coach fired too.

What I said.

mavs>spurs
06-24-2012, 06:17 PM
I guess we differ on where we rank Deron. I said you don't spend money on average players - Deron is a very top talent (even if you don't agree about the impact). That is why I don't blame NY for Amare. They missed on Lebron, but Amare was an impact player and the best you can do. Deron is an impact player and the best they can do this year IMO. He isn't in the same mold of doing what NJ did or PHX.

To me, Deron is an impact player like an Amare in that 2nd tier. Also in my eyes, over paying relative to what a player brings to the table is still overpaying, it doesnt matter if you overpay some role players or overplay a glorified #2 option, it still cripples your flexibility and hurts your ability to contend long term.

I just can't think of a reason in my mind that justifies giving Deron the max. We'd surely regret it when he's 31. I don't even think he's a max player now, like DoK said there isn't a pg in the league worth the max. I'd rather just pass and build a team the right way, with solid defense and bigs.

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Sure but Dirk is aging and you have limited time. If you get Deron and you have Dirk/Deron, then you spend wisely on FA's, you have a competitive team right away.

Deron is definitely tier 2, but when you have a tier 1 like Dirk, you have to get that tier 2 guy.

mavs>spurs
06-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Sadly, I'm afraid they're both tier 2 at this point. Dirk/Deron just doesn't contend for a championship therefore it's pointless.

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 06:27 PM
It's not pointless - you have to give them a shot. With Dirk and Deron, if you add other players (they will still have some cap space and draft picks) you have a shot.

Point is with guys like Charlie V, Childress...you have 0 chance.

mavs>spurs
06-24-2012, 06:30 PM
It's not pointless - you have to give them a shot. With Dirk and Deron, if you add other players (they will still have some cap space and draft picks) you have a shot.

Point is with guys like Charlie V, Childress...you have 0 chance.

Who are those other guys you had in mind? I'm looking at the list and there isn't much in the category of unrestricted. Not seeing any names who propel us into contention with OKC/Miami. I think it would be fun for a while to keep the "dream" alive a bit longer, but realistically we'd be 2nd round fodder like 08-10. Our team is gutted.

mavs>spurs
06-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Guys don't forget that in all likelihood we lose Jet this year. From what I understand, they have parted ways. I don't work in the FO though could be wrong, but unlikely.

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Ya, that was part of the risk of blowing the team up if you don't land Deron/Dwight (which is an extreme long shot now).

They have to draft well with this pick to start. It is not just this year either. They may have to wait a little bit (until next year, fill out this year's roster with some low cost/decent upside players on small short contracts) until they can really piece it together.

But if you pair Dirk/Deron and you have Roddy who develops some, some decent young bigs (seems like you don't need a dominant post game any more to win)

You are looking at Deron/Roddy/Marion/Dirk/.....with some depth bigs Wright/Ian....you are on a decent path.

Hell, if they can talk Deron into it (like they would have had to talk Dwight/Deron if they came) into taking less than max, you can make a run at a guy like JaVale McGee instead of Dwight and still have a pretty athletic solid team (Deron/Roddy/Marion/Dirk/McGee).

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Dallas has Azubuike that is on a cheap contract - and if he is healthy, he is a decent player.

Another out of the box idea is going after Deron/KG. KG would be a great compliment to Dirk and he showed he has some gas left in the tank. If Dallas is willing to give him a long contract, that might be enough to get him to Dallas IMO.

#41 Shoot Em Up
06-24-2012, 06:48 PM

Don't count that out my nigga. If Cuban strikes out on D-Will don't expect him to panic and waste all that cap space on average players, he'll do what we saw this year...a bunch of 1 year deals in order to keep the powder dry

#41 Shoot Em Up
06-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Dallas has Azubuike that is on a cheap contract - and if he is healthy, he is a decent player.

Another out of the box idea is going after Deron/KG. KG would be a great compliment to Dirk and he showed he has some gas left in the tank. If Dallas is willing to give him a long contract, that might be enough to get him to Dallas IMO.

KG gonna stay in Boston or retire. Would be a good idea but I can't see him playing anywhere but Boston

DPG21920
06-24-2012, 06:51 PM
I agree - but he might be enticed if a team gives him a 3/4 year deal.

Latarian Milton
06-24-2012, 08:10 PM
so dallas should do everything needed to block any possible deal between orlando & brooklyn tbh. dallas is definitely his favorite destination, the nets ain't worth a shit and the only possibility they becoming a legit option here is if they get DH.

nigga is a LOCKED one for dallas if they can prevent them nets from gettin DH tbh

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-24-2012, 08:45 PM
To be fair, it wasn't his fault Atlanta panicked and made Joe Johnson synonymous with albatross contracts. Amare leaving for the only coached he loved (and picking up an albatross contract in the process) was probably his fault too.

Really, it shows how good Nash was that his teammates were all eventually overpaid.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

First, it was his fault fault JJ got that contract. JJ's agent proposed a very reasonable extension offer a year earlier and Sarver responded with something like, "You want your next contract, go earn it!" Well, JJ earned it and Sarver was too cheap to leave up to his word. The contract he just signed is albatross, but JJ kept up a high level of play during the 5 year contract he signed with Atlanta that Sarver didn't match.

Also, the "only coach he ever loved" thing is total GNSF bullshit. Amare has made countless public comments indirectly criticizing D'antoni, and Amare gave the Suns the chance to match the Knicks offer (at a small discount). He signed with the Knicks because they offered him $40,000,000 more in guaranteed money than the Suns did.

Anyway, you, in typical GNSF fashion, lack reading comprehension skills and completely butchered the point of my post. My post was talking about how Sarver was raving about possibly having franchise tags to help him keep free agents while having no fuckin idea how a franchise tag worked. A franchise tag enables you to match any offer another team gives, something he had the choice to do with both JJ and Amare but elected not to do. Point being, a franchise tag would have done jack shit for him in either situation and he was just talking out of his ass. Franchise tags don't help owners who are too cheap to give players their market value, they help owners like Dan Gilbert, not Robert Sarver.

Killakobe81
06-25-2012, 09:57 AM
I love Dwill but a max deal does seem a bit much in the New CBA

BUMP
06-25-2012, 03:17 PM
I love Dwill but a max deal does seem a bit much in the New CBA

Like ylab1 said, it doesn't really matter. Cuban's gonna have to pay whatever it takes to get him otherwise he'll look like a giant dumbass

mavs>spurs
06-25-2012, 03:18 PM
^in my eyes that would only make him more of one imho

djohn2oo8
06-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Deron would only give a discount to Dallas.

DPG21920
06-25-2012, 03:50 PM
^in my eyes that would only make him more of one imho

Even if he did what I proposed or added something major (Bynum ) the following year too?

Kai
06-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Deron for the max isn't the worst contract in the world. He's not nearly as bad as some of you make it sound. He's had a shit cast around him, with Dirk I could see him shine again.

mavs>spurs
06-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Even if he did what I proposed or added something major (Bynum ) the following year too?

if they got bynum sure, but i dont see them being able to afford 2 max contracts. deron needs to come here for what he's actually worth if we are going to have any flexibility to work with.

DPG21920
06-25-2012, 04:15 PM
if they got bynum sure, but i dont see them being able to afford 2 max contracts. deron needs to come here for what he's actually worth if we are going to have any flexibility to work with.

They never could afford 2 max contracts with Dirk making the money he does - It is the same drill if Dwight/Deron were to ever come - they would have to take less than max (15-18M per year each).

What about KG, JaVale McGee...You pair Dirk and Deron with them plus based Rod and not so bad (doesn't make up for blowing the team up IMO, but definitely has potential).

mavs>spurs
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM
They never could afford 2 max contracts with Dirk making the money he does - It is the same drill if Dwight/Deron were to ever come - they would have to take less than max (15-18M per year each).

What about KG, JaVale McGee...You pair Dirk and Deron with them plus based Rod and not so bad (doesn't make up for blowing the team up IMO, but definitely has potential).

right they would BOTH have to compromise...meaning that if we offer deron the max, you can rest assured that neither dwight nor bynum are going to volunteer to "compromise" enough for the both of them :lol

I'm interested in KG. what i'd like to do is offer deron about 4 yrs/60 million, sign kg to a 1 year, and then make a play at bynum next year. in a perfect world of course, just my pipedream.

DPG21920
06-25-2012, 04:31 PM
That would be ideal, but I can't see KG signing if it's not a 3+ year deal. But in a perfect world, that bridges things as best as you could reasonably hope if you don't get Dwight (gives you a shot next year and beyond).

mavs>spurs
06-25-2012, 04:36 PM
nobody is giving kg a 3 year deal, he's 36 years old :lol a 3 year deal would be retarded. i might can see someone giving him 2 years, but holy shit i'm tired of being TOSB we need to get younger, not older.

DPG21920
06-25-2012, 04:45 PM
You'd be surprised. KG still played well and it might be worth it to a team to give him a 3 year deal. I don't think it's likely, but that is what I think it would take to pry him away from Boston.

mavs>spurs
06-25-2012, 04:47 PM
yeah he found the fountain of youth this season but the thing is, once you get waaaaay up there in age, even one more decent year is far from guaranteed. look what happened to hakeem.

m>s
06-26-2012, 09:47 AM
couldn't afford 3 maxes even under the old CBA, need at least one of them or two, if not all to accept paycuts to make the great thing happen tbh, and that's exactly what miami did two years ago but you aint duplicating shit in dallas. if they both join us as FA's niggas would have to accept something far below the max standard in order to play together in dallas, due to the fact that dirk already makes 20+ m/yr and his salary can't be cut down under the new CBA

tripe D dynasty = pipedream :cry