PDA

View Full Version : Sleep paralysis

gospursgojas
06-25-2012, 12:49 AM
I get this shit at least once a week. It used to scare the crap out of me, now its just annoying as fuck.

Anyone else?

baseline bum
06-25-2012, 12:55 AM
A few years ago I used to have dreams like that where I'd be laying in bed paralysed feeling wide awake; don't know if I actually was or not though. I was working really shitty and long hours and was also pretty out of shape. About once or twice a week is how often I would get them.

You're supposed to be paralysed in your sleep though; it's a signal your body sends out when getting healthy sleep, and it's what keeps one from sleepwalking.

DeadlyDynasty
06-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Used to get that all the time back when I did x

lefty
06-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Alien abduction TBH

gospursgojas
06-25-2012, 01:00 AM
A few years ago I used to have dreams like that where I'd be laying in bed paralysed feeling wide awake; don't know if I actually was or not though. I was working really shitty and long hours and was also pretty out of shape. About once or twice a week is how often I would get them.

You're supposed to be paralysed in your sleep though; it's a signal your body sends out when getting healthy sleep, and it's what keeps one from sleepwalking.

Did you just call me fat?

baseline bum
06-25-2012, 01:14 AM
Don't tell the mods after Norris got murked earlier.

mojorizen7
06-25-2012, 04:59 AM
Its probably a succubus. Just go with it.

spursfan09
06-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Yes I get it. Not too often like maybe once a year. Do you get an evil feeling?

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Used to get it frequently. Not sure if its associated to this, but I used to have very bad acid reflux (without me knowing I had it).

To help the acid reflux subside, the doctor had told me to elevate my bed so I slept with my upper body propped up at an incline.

Ever since then I've never had any sleep paralysis to date. (And I used to get it very frequently; once a week or so.)

Creepn
06-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Yeah it terrified me as a kid and it still freaks me the fuck out now. I get all paranoid and wonder if I'm in a coma or something or if I'll ever wake up. It mostly comes when I'm sleeping flat on my back though.

Anyway, these days I try to make the best of it. Since your mind is aware, I just start making up and control my own dreams. Most of them are sex dreams of course and I always awake just when I'm about to bust a nut.

mavs>spurs
06-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Yeah it terrified me as a kid and it still freaks me the fuck out now. I get all paranoid and wonder if I'm in a coma or something or if I'll ever wake up. It mostly comes when I'm sleeping flat on my back though.

Anyway, these days I try to make the best of it. Since your mind is aware, I just start making up and control my own dreams. Most of them are sex dreams of course and I always awake just when I'm about to bust a nut.

yup there are varying degrees of sleep paralysis, what you just described is a half awake, half dreamlike state. sometimes, you're fully awake and 100% conscious. THAT shit is scary, you'r a prisoner in your own body, fully aware that this isn't a dream and wondering if you will ever be able to move again.

Kai
06-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Happened to me before, couldn't even breath. Scary as fuck.

mavs>spurs
06-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Happened to me before, couldn't even breath. Scary as fuck.

WHOA now that's crazy. never had THAT before..i used to get it a lot when i was exhausted back working and going to school full time. i'd come home in the afternoon and take a nap and if i ever happened to flop on my back in my sleep, it happened. the best way to avoid it is not sleeping on your back but even then sometimes you end up that way in your sleep, it sucks.

Brazil
06-25-2012, 05:38 PM
what the heck is sleep paralysis ?

Trainwreck2100
06-25-2012, 06:35 PM
what the heck is sleep paralysis ?

your brain is awake but your body is not

gospursgojas
06-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Yah...at the most I ever have it for 5-10 seconds...but for those 5-10 secs you're wondering if its gonna last forever.

DarkReign
06-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Never heard of it before this. Crazy shit.

Chachachango
06-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Thing happened to me when i was 15. After a minute of trying to get out of it I said fuck this shit and went back to sleep. Second time it happened I just went back to sleep.

gaKNOW!blee
06-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Yes I get this shit every week. Everytime I get it I feel like I'm probably gonna die lol.

Notorious H.O.P.
06-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Most people who experience this try moving their arms or legs but are unable to. The trick is supposed to be to try to wiggle your toes. Once you manage to get any type of movement, the rest of your body relaxes and you can move again.

cantthinkofanything
06-26-2012, 02:45 PM
if you can calm down, these are good opportunities to have out of body experiences

Bigzax
06-26-2012, 03:04 PM
i had this a few months ago while dreaming there was an alien grey in the room. it was a freaky few minutes.

mrsmaalox
06-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Isn't sleep paralysis a symptom of poor sleep patterns or not getting enough sleep?

ALVAREZ6
06-26-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm pretty sure I've had this a couple of times, annoying more than anything. It's been a while but I was aware of what it was, was very annoying... "WTF arms, I'm clearly telling ordering you to move, fuck..."

I remember it only lasting no more than 10 seconds.

Some reports read that various factors increase the likelihood of both paralysis and hallucinations. These include:
-Sleeping in a face upwards or supine position
-Increased stress
-Sudden environmental or lifestyle changes
-A lucid dream that immediately precedes the episode
-Excessive consumption of alcohol coupled with lack of adequate sleep

gospursgojas
06-26-2012, 05:28 PM
i had this a few months ago while dreaming there was an alien grey in the room. it was a freaky few minutes.

Yeah. Sometimes its just you cant move, sometimes you cant move and you see/feel a evil or dangerous presence in the room...which is the freakiest kind.

cantthinkofanything
06-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Yeah. Sometimes its just you cant move, sometimes you cant move and you see/feel a evil or dangerous presence in the room...which is the freakiest kind.

No. The freakiest kind is when you are having a dream about flying, then you wake up in a state of sleep paralysis. Then you open your eyes and there is a nurse hovering over you who tells you that you've been in an accident and are now a quadriplegic.

Brazil
06-26-2012, 06:01 PM
your brain is awake but your body is not

wow never heard about that

sounds pretty scary

CuckingFunt
06-26-2012, 06:11 PM
I've only ever had this happen a couple of times, but both were during/immediately following incredibly lucid nightmares. In both cases, I desperately wanted to look around and make sure whatever it was I saw in the dream wasn't actually in the room with me, but I couldn't. Fucking terrifying. Glad it hasn't happened in at least 16+ years.

Stringer_Bell
06-26-2012, 06:43 PM
1) Don't sleep on your back.
2) Don't dry hump or masterbate without cumming before you sleep.
3) DO NOT LISTEN TO JAZZ MUSIC BEFORE YOU SLEEP FOR THE LOVE OF GAWWWWWD!!!

Follow those 3 steps, and you will not encounter Sleep Paralysis. God bless.

mingus
06-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Has happened to me before. It occurred when I slept on my back one night. I woke up paralyzed, which was accompanied by crying baby sounds that seemed to come from a nearby room. I tried to get up to see what was happening but was unable to. I'm pretty sure it was caused by sleeping on my back. It has never happened when I sleep on my side.

baseline bum
06-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Wow, so do people here sleep on their sides mostly?

mavs>spurs
06-26-2012, 09:17 PM
I've only ever had this happen a couple of times, but both were during/immediately following incredibly lucid nightmares. In both cases, I desperately wanted to look around and make sure whatever it was I saw in the dream wasn't actually in the room with me, but I couldn't. Fucking terrifying. Glad it hasn't happened in at least 16+ years.

:lmao that's actually happened to you? it's common to see scary shit like that while in paralysis but DAMN i'm glad it's never happened to me, i just see my empty room.

ALVAREZ6
06-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Wow, so do people here sleep on their sides mostly?

I rarely sleep on my back, throughout most of my life I exclusively slept on my stomach, and now I sleep on my stomach and sides about 50/50.

mavs>spurs
06-26-2012, 09:31 PM
yeah i can't sleep on my back, sides all the way

mingus
06-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Now that I think of it, my experience could've been at least partially caused by chronic sleep deprevation, in addition to sleeping on my back. I was getting ~3 hours of sleep a night for three or so months leading up to it. During that time I also had an auditory hallucination where I also heard babies crying. Which I had no idea were hallucinations and attempted to look for where the were emanating. I actually walked a couple hundred feet from my house to do so.

lefty
06-26-2012, 09:47 PM
It happens even when I sleep on the side

In my case I think it's sleep deprivation

DPG21920
06-26-2012, 10:30 PM
:lmao that's actually happened to you? it's common to see scary shit like that while in paralysis but DAMN i'm glad it's never happened to me, i just see my empty room.

Only happened one time to me and I am the same as you - I didn't see anything, but I remember thinking in my head that I was in hell. It was the blackest dark I have ever seen and I remember feeling an intense feeling that someone was observing me in an empty, black cell. Lasted about 5 minutes.

mFFL03
06-26-2012, 10:43 PM
I haven't had one in a while, but mine usually occur as a nightmare which turns into a lucid dream. I know I'm dreaming but I can't wake up. My eyes feel glued shut, I can barley yell out, so my body just gives out a whimper.

mavs>spurs
06-26-2012, 10:54 PM
i used to have this happen so often that i figured out there is a way to get out of it

TE
06-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Has happened to me only once. I was sleeping face down when I couldn't move, yet I was awake. I am fortunate it happened only for a span of like 10 seconds cause I could've suffocated.

LA24
06-26-2012, 11:06 PM
I use to get this all the time. Like once or twice a week. Then it would go
away for a few years, then come back. Right now, I haven't had it for awhile.
But when I did get it, it wouldn't matter if it was day or night or my sleeping position.

I got it before sleeping on the side during a daytime nap with the tv
on. I could actually see everything, and just can't move. And even when
I had it during the daytimes, it's still scary as hell. The whole experience
feels very sinister. I've also had it sleeping on the couch with my sister
next to me talking on the phone, and I was trying to "speak," getting
her to wake my ass up, but I couldn't do it.

I've never seen anything when it happens, but you get this sinking
feeling like you're falling into it deeper and deeper. For me, I have to
always fight hard to get my body to move or wake up. If I just lay
idle, it'll get worse and that sinking feeling intensifies.

The weirdest shit was when I was on a vacation with my gf once, and
we were asleep in the hotel, she wakes me up complaining that she felt
a "presence" and coldness in the room. I was like "ok, whatever" and
went back to sleep. Then she wakes me up saying she kept getting the
sleep paralysis thing. Then when I when I tried to go back to sleep, I
started getting it too. And for the like 1 hour, we both couldn't fall asleep
without falling into paralysis. I've never seen any paranormal stuff
or ghosts in my life, but when I'm stuck in the sleep paralysis, it
always feels like there's an evil presence around. Why is that ?

mavs>spurs
06-26-2012, 11:11 PM
^the "presence" thing everyone talks about is quite common. what you believe could be the reason boils down to your personal beliefs about the supernatural. i really don't have any idea, but i DO know that there is a way to get out of it though, IF you're fully awake and can consciously reason.

Trainwreck2100
06-26-2012, 11:14 PM
presence is called a 'hag' iirc

LA24
06-26-2012, 11:23 PM
^the "presence" thing everyone talks about is quite common. what you believe could be the reason boils down to your personal beliefs about the supernatural. i really don't have any idea, but i DO know that there is a way to get out of it though, IF you're fully awake and can consciously reason.

I'm curious about your method of getting out of it.

The only method I know is to muster all my strength and
"force" the body awake. Laying idle never works for me.

Barfunk
06-26-2012, 11:31 PM
I get this every now and again, especially when I don't get enough sleep or am sleeping during the day due to exhaustion from a hangover or just plain tired.

In one instance, it looked and felt like a demonic spirit jumped on top of me, had me by the neck, and was choking me. Evil sounds were spewing from it's voice in my ear. It felt real. It scared me pretty decent as I woke up breathing hard and sweating. I think I've seen that spirit float around me maybe a few times in this half asleep, half awake paralyzed state. I unable to speak or move in the paralysis. I don't think it lasts that long but it could feel longer than it is.

I have also experienced during sleep paralysis, what seemed to be me leaving my body, and once realized, I went back in. I don't know if the out of body thing was real or not, but it's hard to describe because it happens so fast and it is very subtle and hazy. The out of body thing has happened twice in my life and when it did I thought maybe there is another side or some sort of existence after death, but I don't know because it might have been extreme hallucinations from the sleep paralysis.

mavs>spurs
06-26-2012, 11:32 PM
you're already thinking in the right direction, you have to muster all your strength and focus it in one area: your head. you won't be able to move your limbs but you have a bit of control over your head, lift your head and neck with all your strength and you'll snap out of it. sometimes you have to rock yourself forward and push a few times to gain "momentum" so to speak, but you do actually have a bit of control over your neck right at the base of your skull.

shyne
06-26-2012, 11:34 PM
I've had some wear I'm outside pissing or in a urinal, but I'm really pissing in my bed. Wake up as soon as I'm finished it's fucking crazy.

Creepn
06-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Sometimes I try to wake my body up so hard that I end up dreaming that I am awake and I go to the bathroom and brush my teeth and get dressed. Then when I actually wake up, I'm like wtf?? lol

Never had that "evil" presence feeling thing though. I'm telling you guys, sex dreams work. You will have fun and will wake up everytime. Sometimes I even get a little upset that I awoke from paralysis because I wanted to continue the dream. You just have to relax and take control.

LA24
06-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Sometimes I try to wake my body up so hard that I end up dreaming that I am awake and I go to the bathroom and brush my teeth and get dressed. Then when I actually wake up, I'm like wtf?? lol

Never had that "evil" presence feeling thing though. I'm telling you guys, sex dreams work. You will have fun and will wake up everytime. Sometimes I even get a little upset that I awoke from paralysis because I wanted to continue the dream. You just have to relax and take control.

I don't think what you're describing is sleep paralysis. SP is anything but fun.

Creepn
06-27-2012, 12:18 AM
I don't think what you're describing is sleep paralysis. SP is anything but fun.

It's scary if you panic. I still panic sometimes and try to struggle out of it. But the times that I've taken control it just becomes more tolerable and you just wake up on your own. You just have to own it.

Next time it happens, dream of a beautiful girl or anything happy. You're mind is awake and the canvas is whatever you want to dream on it.

ALVAREZ6
06-27-2012, 12:28 AM

Yeah I think he's simply thinking about lucid dreaming, which sometimes precedes sleep paralysis. And if you have sex dreams you may be able to dream lucidly at times, where you know you are dreaming.

mrsmaalox
06-27-2012, 09:55 AM
you're already thinking in the right direction, you have to muster all your strength and focus it in one area: your head. you won't be able to move your limbs but you have a bit of control over your head, lift your head and neck with all your strength and you'll snap out of it. sometimes you have to rock yourself forward and push a few times to gain "momentum" so to speak, but you do actually have a bit of control over your neck right at the base of your skull.

I've never had sleep paralysis, but I have severe carpal tunnel syndrome and used to wake up with my hands, arms and shoulders numb and paralyzed; this neck flexing was the only way to get the feeling and movement back.

An occupational therapist made some wrist splints for me that I wear for sleep every night, and I have not had that kind of episode in about 10 years.

ALVAREZ6
06-27-2012, 10:47 AM
I've never had sleep paralysis, but I have severe carpal tunnel syndrome and used to wake up with my hands, arms and shoulders numb and paralyzed; this neck flexing was the only way to get the feeling and movement back.

An occupational therapist made some wrist splints for me that I wear for sleep every night, and I have not had that kind of episode in about 10 years.
Shit...I will give this neck trick a try if I'm ever in the situation again. About 5 years ago I used to wake up, like you say, with my entire arm numb. I don't know if it was paralyzed, maybe sometimes but definitely not always because I can remember waking up and being freaked out that something was grabbing and touching my torso, when in reality it was my numb arm. For a period, this was happening pretty often.

gospursgojas
06-27-2012, 06:36 PM
For some reason I can always move my left leg so when I get it...im fully aware of whats happening so I just bang my left leg on whatever Im near, or the bed, and try to wake my ass up.

Supposedly in this state is when out of body experiences are possible. You dont fight it, and try to get up spiritualy (whatever that means) and wah lah, youre in the insudious movie.

But fuck that, Im not doing that shit.

The evil pressence thing must be a trick in our brain to scare the shit out of us to wake us up, and it just depends on your beliefs. If youre religious or truly believe in angels and demons and such, your brain goes to that to scare you awake. If youre not then your brain may go to other such beings like greys or old witches (hags) and what not.