PDA

View Full Version : Tyshawn Taylor?

JonNOKC
06-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Let me first say I am only passing on information I got from friend this morning

He is close to sports radio personality in Tulsa and is a Kansas alumni/donor

In conversation about Kansas probable draftees - the media member said he had talked to current member of Self's staff (who had been with Self at Tulsa) and was told if Taylor fell a little in the draft to keep a look out for Spurs possible move. According to member of staff - someone in Spurs had called and talked to coach Self about Taylor (presumably RC but did not give specifics) and then very recently someone from spurs spoke directly/interviewed Tyshawn.

Again this is indirect information but guy has no reason to make it up - he is a big Kansas guy and big Thunder fan - obvious connections between Self and Buford and probably just Spurs doing due diligence in case a guy really takes a dive

Bruno
06-26-2012, 10:06 AM
I've been intrigued by him too. I've said it in a couple of other threads but Spurs could really use an athletic quick guard for defensive purposes. Taylor seems to have all the tools to fit that role.

JonNOKC
06-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Definitely a physical talent but struggled to be consistent - again this was indirect information - but I definitely feel comfortable enough with source to say at the very least The Spurs have had phone conversation with both Self and Taylor himself - he has fell some in the mock drafts and have seen him going anywhere from 26th pick to 47th overall

K-State Spur
06-26-2012, 10:21 AM
He's got some skills: good athlete + good size for position + improved jumpshot + solid defender.

Negatives would be: inconsistent production + not a great passer (inflated APG totals due to talent around him) + TERRIBLY careless with the basketball + little bit of personal baggage. He once picked a fight with the football team - if it had been anybody's football team except KU's, he might have been seriously hurt.

MR-Clutch
06-26-2012, 11:04 AM
I was pushing Tony Wroten, but this guy pretty much fits the same mold. He would be a good addition, and another step to help get the spurs more athletic.

timvp
06-26-2012, 12:53 PM
I don't doubt what you're saying and Taylor fits the description of a player the Spurs could use ... however RC Buford and Bill Self are best friends and the Spurs already spend a good chunk of time sitting in during practices at Kansas so it's unlikely that they had to do any last minute digging.

Beanzamillion21
06-26-2012, 01:04 PM
if it had been anybody's football team except KU's, he might have been seriously hurt.
:lol

JonNOKC
06-26-2012, 01:18 PM
I don't doubt what you're saying and Taylor fits the description of a player the Spurs could use ... however RC Buford and Bill Self are best friends and the Spurs already spend a good chunk of time sitting in during practices at Kansas so it's unlikely that they had to do any last minute digging.

I agree and Taylor been at Kansas for a while now - main thing I found interesting was Kansas staffer saying to watch for possible move if Taylor fell some - I guess the question is whether he is saying that based on the Buford/Self connection and maybe RC or someone from Spurs commenting on Taylor, OR if he actually knows something more specific

DesignatedT
06-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Solid prospect

SsKSpurs21
06-26-2012, 01:46 PM
from nbadraft.net...

To get minutes at the NBA level, he will need to play for a forgiving coach with a long leash or revamp his playing style and decision making

looks like he might be in the doghouse alot if drafted.

Vic Petro
06-26-2012, 01:52 PM
I'd rather have Doron Lamb tbh

Bruno
06-26-2012, 02:11 PM
The whole turnover/playmaking aspect wouldn't be that a big deal with Spurs because he would be paired with a very good playmaker/passer with either Manu or De Colo.

A scenario that would make a lot of sense for Spurs would be to trade Neal for an early second round pick to draft Taylor. Parker/Ginobili/Green/De Colo/Taylor seems to be a very well build and balanced backcourt.

K-State Spur
06-26-2012, 04:24 PM
The whole turnover/playmaking aspect wouldn't be that a big deal with Spurs because he would be paired with a very good playmaker/passer with either Manu or De Colo.

I do think it would still matter because his turnovers don't always come from trying to make plays - he's really one of the most careless players I have ever seen with the ball.

He had 4+ TOs in 18 of KU's 39 games last year. It's more a question of whether or not Pop thinks the lack of focus is fixable vs. whether or not that would jive with the NBA game.