PDA

View Full Version : College football officially has a playoff!

Drachen
06-26-2012, 06:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8099187/ncaa-presidents-approve-four-team-college-football-playoff-beginning-2014

A four-team playoff for college football has been formally approved by a presidential oversight committee, a dramatic change for the sport that will begin in 2014. The four teams will be chosen by a selection committee, and the semifinals will be held at current bowl sites and the national championship game will be awarded to the highest bidder.

Blake
06-26-2012, 07:18 PM
bout time.

DMX7
06-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Too bad it doesn't start this year.

vander
06-26-2012, 09:15 PM
gay

Blake
06-26-2012, 09:45 PM
gay

lol Boise St

ThePop
06-26-2012, 10:33 PM
good

Vito Corleone
06-27-2012, 09:40 AM
My money is that BSU will be the first school/fan base to bitch because they got left out of the playoff.

I hope they do, that way changes will be made and we will get it up to 8 teams. Never under-estimate the greed of the NCAA and Universities in general.

vander
06-27-2012, 06:43 PM
My money is that BSU will be the first school/fan base to bitch because they got left out of the playoff.

I hope they do, that way changes will be made and we will get it up to 8 teams. Never under-estimate the greed of the NCAA and Universities in general.

BSU can't even go undefeated on a cupcake schedule anymore, any BSU fan that thinks BCS is the reason they can't win it all is delusional. the BCS was the best possible system for teams like BSU.

4 team playoff is OK i guess, but an 8 team playoff would be terrible, LOL @ 2, maybe even 3 loss teams winning the title.

this is college football, there are 120+ teams and only 12 games on the schedule, strength of schedule matters, body of work matters, the regular season matters, the BCS formula worked (except for the coaches poll part)

NFO
06-28-2012, 06:44 PM
this is college football, there are 120+ teams and only 12 games on the schedule, strength of schedule matters, body of work matters, the regular season matters, the BCS formula worked (except for the coaches poll part)

If strenght of schedule mattered, why was it no longer a component of the BCS????

Also the coaches were supposed to take into account SOS, which you say was worthless.

Game over for Bosie St.

vander
06-29-2012, 02:58 PM
it wasn't? i'm pretty sure sos was calculated/factored in the 'computer' parts of the formula. and the coaches poll was just a conflict of interest, plus what coaches spend 5 minutes thinking about where other teams should be ranked.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-29-2012, 03:16 PM
If strenght of schedule mattered, why was it no longer a component of the BCS????

Also the coaches were supposed to take into account SOS, which you say was worthless.

Game over for Bosie St.

He's saying the coaches poll is worthless because they didn't consider a lot of what they were "supposed" to consider because they had conflict of interest. It seemed to make sense to me, I always thought coaches being able to vote was stupid.

Vito Corleone
06-29-2012, 04:30 PM
SOS is a weak indicator of who deserves to go in the playoffs.

In 2005 Texas played one great team in OOC and a very weak conference slate and we still were the best team in the country. No one can dictate how strong your SOS is going to be even in the SEC.

Last year, outside of LSU and Bama the entire SEC sucked ass.

I still predict that this playoff system will still leave a team out that is more deserving than some school and the AP is going to annoint them the champs because they won their bowl game.

Blake
06-29-2012, 04:57 PM
UT had an SOS rank of 11 in 05.

And Arky had a great team last year.

Clipper Nation
06-29-2012, 05:18 PM
SOS is a joke, especially in a sport where teams make their own schedules tbh...

vander
06-29-2012, 06:48 PM
SOS is a joke, especially in a sport where teams make their own schedules tbh...

SOS would be better if teams didn't make their own schedules? :huh

so if BSU was forced to play a cupcake schedule and therefore left out of a BCS game, that would be LESS of a joke?

and come on, in a league where Idaho and Alabama are technically on the same tier, and only 12 games are played, SOS doesn't matter? smh

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Last year, outside of LSU and Bama the entire SEC sucked ass.
Arkansas?
Georgia?

Blake
06-29-2012, 11:26 PM
South carolina

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-29-2012, 11:48 PM
I woulda said them but their QB was mexican

Vito Corleone
06-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Arkansas?
Georgia?

Both sucked ass. IOW the white spec on the top of chicken shit is still chicken shit.

Blake
06-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Both sucked ass. IOW the white spec on the top of chicken shit is still chicken shit.

so basically if you are ranked #5 or lower, you are chicken shit.

Good talk. :tu

Sisk
06-30-2012, 06:30 PM

:lmao

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRj91RWMw_Eg8X6h88JOu9GP2C7P_GNG 0h6CpxaJwtOmf-JX2lC

NFO
06-30-2012, 09:42 PM
it wasn't? i'm pretty sure sos was
calculated/factored in the 'computer' parts of the formula.

It was from 98 thru 03, but not from 2004 thru 2014, like your general statement applied.

and the coaches poll was just a conflict of interest, plus what coaches spend 5 minutes thinking about where other teams should be ranked.

I understand the conflict of interest, the time it took, who actually filled it out, etc...

My point was that since SOS was eliminated in 2003 SOS was no longer a component of your beloved BCS, however that coaches were to follow a criteria, of which SOS was to be a part of it, which obviously had problems in and of itself.

He's saying the coaches poll is worthless because they didn't consider a lot of what they were "supposed" to consider because they had conflict of interest.

I am aware of that. You missed the point I was trying to make.

vander
06-30-2012, 10:03 PM
isn't Sagarin part of the BCS formula? pretty sure he uses SoS, wouldn't be surprised if the other 5 computer components had a SoS aspect as well...

spursncowboys
07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm glad Big 12, Big 10, SEC and Pac 12 have a playoff system

Vito Corleone
07-01-2012, 11:35 PM
:lmao

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRj91RWMw_Eg8X6h88JOu9GP2C7P_GNG 0h6CpxaJwtOmf-JX2lC

Lol, I might have graduated from U of M but that doesn't mean I give two shits about the Gophers. I still have yet to see a U of M game, I lived in Minnesota for 3 years and in that time I finished my degree there and then I moved to Utah. Had it have been Utah first I would have graduated from U of Utah. For me all it was was a place to finish my degree.

Outside of me and two of my cousins, every member of my family that finished a degree got it at the University of Texas. Since before I could walk I was a Longhorn fan. My love of football came from watching Earl Campbell run for the Longhorns and later the Oilers.