PDA

View Full Version : If Hill was worth the 15th pick last year, would Neal+Blair be worth that THIS year?

SpurPadre
06-26-2012, 08:25 PM
As in, we'd deal Neal AND Blair to get around the 15th pick (maybe anywhere from 12-18th pick) this year. Would it be worth it to us and would some team take that deal?

baseline bum
06-26-2012, 08:26 PM
A lot less.

DMX7
06-26-2012, 08:27 PM
A paperclip and some pocket lint.

Steve-O-Matic
06-26-2012, 08:29 PM
As in, we'd deal Neal AND Blair to get around the 15th pick (maybe anywhere from 12-18th pick)........would some team take that deal?
Not a chance. Not even close.

SpurPadre
06-26-2012, 08:30 PM
A lot less.

Yeah, that's what I thought but maybe some team close to making the playoffs might take the bait? Are these two guys even worth a 20th pick?

urunobili
06-26-2012, 08:30 PM
I don't think that's way off TBH. I see something more in the early 20's for both whim are proven and all rooks that low in the draft are yet to be just that.

SpurPadre
06-26-2012, 08:31 PM
I get the no chance on this happening opinion but come on, G. Hill isn't far and away better and/or more valuable than Neal and Blair combined.

Steve-O-Matic
06-26-2012, 08:34 PM
I don't think that's way off TBH. I see something more in the early 20's for both whim are proven and all rooks that low in the draft are yet to be just that.

At which point that makes it a bad deal for the Spurs.

SpurPadre
06-26-2012, 08:35 PM
At which point that makes it a bad deal for the Spurs.

Unless Drummond somehow falls MUCH further than people think he may fall...

Wild Cobra Kai
06-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Shit, Houston just got #18 for a one way wing player who is nothing really special.

Duncan2177
06-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Blair+Splitter

baseline bum
06-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought but maybe some team close to making the playoffs might take the bait? Are these two guys even worth a 20th pick?

Very doubtful in this stacked draft.

jimo2305
06-26-2012, 09:57 PM
depends on who's available in the draft

SamoanTD
06-26-2012, 10:08 PM
I guess anythings possible if the other teams willing.

racm
06-26-2012, 10:32 PM
I think the Hill scenario was special. Bird wanted a young guard who could serve as a sixth man/starter, and he wanted to offload stuff like Lorbek's rights.

Of course this meant that the Spurs got the biggest coup (Hill for Kawhi+Lorbek+Bertans) that Pop was laughing all the way to the bank.

SenorSpur
06-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Probably no more than a high second - and that's just an uneducated guess.

Frankly, I'd be a helluva lot more thrilled if some team were take Bonner's sorry ass.

DMC
06-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Gary Neal probably doesn't get much in a trade. He's a pure shooter but he makes stupid decisions. Come to think of it, the Knicks could use him.

Blair is Bobcats material all the way.

Andthentherewas21
06-26-2012, 11:53 PM
I could actually see Boston agreeing to that for one of their 1st rounders. Gives them some "frontcourt" depth and a replacement for Ray Allen (in the offense at least). Also gets them younger but with some experience so they can still try and compete

spurraider21
06-26-2012, 11:56 PM
i really don't understand the blair hate. he is very valuable to us (more than any trade would bring in) and should have been used far more extensively in the thunder series. unlike splitter, he would actually be able to score against guards in the paint.

the only knock on blair is that he has no place in a game against the Lakers or even the Grizz. outside that he's pretty darn good at what he does. i say hang on to him. and as far as Neal goes, even though he's better served as a strict 2-guard off the bench, he's our only semi-backup point guard we have. i dont count cory joseph. unless he is replaced we need him. our best hope is to bring back diaw/green (hope green matures) and bring lorbek in

Nathan89
06-26-2012, 11:58 PM
For the two of them if we can't get 15-18 it's probably not a good deal for the Spurs.

Andthentherewas21
06-27-2012, 12:09 AM
i really don't understand the blair hate. he is very valuable to us (more than any trade would bring in) and should have been used far more extensively in the thunder series. unlike splitter, he would actually be able to score against guards in the paint.

the only knock on blair is that he has no place in a game against the Lakers or even the Grizz. outside that he's pretty darn good at what he does. i say hang on to him. and as far as Neal goes, even though he's better served as a strict 2-guard off the bench, he's our only semi-backup point guard we have. i dont count cory joseph. unless he is replaced we need him. our best hope is to bring back diaw/green (hope green matures) and bring lorbek in

Blair is great for the Spurs in that he gives the Spurs good production at a relatively low price, and helps keep the wear and tear on Duncan during the regular season.

The problem is when it comes to the postseason, his size makes him a liability against bigger lineups and his limited range makes it hard to space the floor with both him and Duncan on the court. So basically your paying him to reduce Duncan's regular season minutes.

ducks
06-27-2012, 12:11 AM
they would hang up the phone and cuss and say wtf are they smoking

SpursDynasty85
06-27-2012, 12:30 AM
I could see them being worth a 14-18th depending on what the team drafting's needs are. As someone pointed out above, Chase Budinger (+unkowns) warranted an 18th pick. You could argue Gary Neal alone is worth more than Budinger. Plus, Dejuan Blair might still have a lot of value outside of the Spurs. His play as of late hasn't thrived well in our fast pace offense, oriented around gaurd play and pick and rolls, but the dude finds ways to dominate certain teams (ala OKC).

ElNono
06-27-2012, 01:15 AM
Last season's draft was deemed amongst the poorest in years... this season's draft is considered to be super stacked... it might/might not pan out like that, but that's the impression going in, so you would think it would take quite some assets to be able to get to the top-15...

spurspokesman
06-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Probably no more than a high second - and that's just an uneducated guess.

Frankly, I'd be a helluva lot more thrilled if some team were take Bonner's sorry ass.
this

G-Dawgg
06-27-2012, 03:21 AM
You guys are really undervaluing Gary Neal... He is a really good scorer. His defense is very average, but I'd keep him over Danny Green in a heartbeat. He's our 4th best scorer easily ahead of Stephen Jackson and is still reasonably young.

spurraider21
06-27-2012, 04:12 AM
Blair is great for the Spurs in that he gives the Spurs good production at a relatively low price, and helps keep the wear and tear on Duncan during the regular season.

The problem is when it comes to the postseason, his size makes him a liability against bigger lineups and his limited range makes it hard to space the floor with both him and Duncan on the court. So basically your paying him to reduce Duncan's regular season minutes.

at his salary thats perfect to be honest. i still think he would help in the postseason if its a good matchup, which okc is.

racm
06-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Exactly and both Neal and Blair numbers are comparable to Bundinger's. Both player's are good value players and based on their performances, in retrospect, both probably would have been drafted in 15-20 range based on their performances over the past 2 years.

I see Bonner, Blair and Neal being shipped for a pick. All three combined are good regular season players and would be welcome by a struggling franchise just looking to make the playoffs. I could see a team like the Bucks making a trade like this. They basically have no bench and that is what killed them down the stretch last year.

Bonner, Blair, Neal can easily produce 25-30pts a night and that is something the Buck really need at this point, and something that they more than likely aren't going to get from the 12th pick in the draft. Factor in their combined salaries is less than 6 mil, this would be a pretty good trade for the Bucks and the Spurs.

Bonner/Blair/Neal for #12 and...?

Bonner should make up for their losing Ilyasova, Blair would be a better big than Kwame Brown, and Neal would be another high scoring small SG in their rotation.

Plus, he can say he's teammates with Beno. :rollin

smaka
06-27-2012, 11:15 AM
You guys are seriously underestimating Blair and Neal. If Budinger is worth of 18th pick, then hell yeah Blair+Neal are wort at least that, but I'd say they are worth even more. Neal is a pure shooter with guts, Blair is a master in clown shots under the rim.

I wouldnt trade them for 20th pick or worse, no way.

xmas1997
06-27-2012, 11:16 AM
I think Houston is positioning itself to take Drummond hoping he will drop to them.

Kidd K
06-27-2012, 11:38 AM

Lame-o Chase Budinger netted the Rockets and 18th pick.

I think Neal and Blair combined is just a little bit better than Chase Budinger (I'm being sarcastic, they're a lot better).

So yes, they're easily worth over a 20th pick. But neither is as good as George Hill was. . .that guy was underappreciated on here.

Kidd K
06-27-2012, 11:40 AM
I think Houston is positioning itself to take Drummond hoping he will drop to them.

I don't think Drummond will drop to 14 tbh. I doubt he drops past 9 or 11. The Pistons and Blazers aren't that stupid.

SenorSpur
06-27-2012, 12:44 PM
I think Drummond is the guy the Spurs might be targeting. He is raw but he's got potential. At the very least he will be a defensive monster like Chandler with his athleticism and wingspan 7'5" in his rookie season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/46693/andre-drummond-blank-slate

I totally agree with this article about Drummond. The kid looks a little wayward and probably would regress if he went to some shitty franchise. But if he went to a franchise like the Spurs learning from TD himself, I see the guy molding himself to a great player in the future.

For Drummond's sake, unless he goes to a stable franchise and gets some good coaching, he's probably destined on becoming the next Kwame Brown.

swaggerjackson
06-27-2012, 12:49 PM
I think Tiago is the only one who will really draw enough interest for a draft pick in the 12 to 18 range. Neal and Blair would probably be sweetners, not the main package.

Thomas82
06-27-2012, 01:06 PM

I think Drummond is the guy the Spurs might be targeting. He is raw but he's got potential. At the very least he will be a defensive monster like Chandler with his athleticism and wingspan 7'5" in his rookie season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/46693/andre-drummond-blank-slate

I totally agree with this article about Drummond. The kid looks a little wayward and probably would regress if he went to some shitty franchise. But if he went to a franchise like the Spurs learning from TD himself, I see the guy molding himself to a great player in the future.

I don't think Drummond will drop to 14 tbh. I doubt he drops past 9 or 11. The Pistons and Blazers aren't that stupid.

For Drummond's sake, unless he goes to a stable franchise and gets some good coaching, he's probably destined on becoming the next Kwame Brown.

If the Spurs want Drummond, they would probably have to move up into the top 5 to get him, or have one of those teams draft him for them, and trade him to the Spurs. Houston wants him if (since) they can't get Dwight Howard. To be honest, I believe the best place for Drummond would be with the Spurs. I don't see him reaching his full potential with any other team.

maverick1948
06-27-2012, 03:33 PM
:(Chase Budinger for #18.

I think some on here think players have little or no value, until, they are talked about in a trade. Bonner, Blair, Neal and Jackson, all have trade value. Of course, you mention Jackson in a trade you are an idiot to most who think he is a god of some sort. He would bring youth and value to the Spurs but dont dare trade their darling. You hear sign Diaw, sign Diaw, but he disappeared in the playoffs against OKC. Let Diaw go.

That said, we have only 3 players under contract to trade with. What are their values and why.

Bonner. If he is to be traded, we need to look at teams needing a 3pt shooter and a big.
Blair. Another semi big to trade. His value has been greatly enhanced because he played all but 3 games in 3 years. He can rebound, score and run the court.
Neal. Sharpshooter for teams needing scoring.

If Budinger is worth an #18 pick, then Neal and Blair are each equal to that. Neal has stats about the same as Bud. Some a little higher some lower, but about equal overall. Blair has about the same as both of them but does different things.

Each of these have a beautiful contract to work with. Bonner 3.6 this year and 1 guaranteed next. Neal under a mill and Blair under a mill. Using this, I think we can move into the top 15 with the right trade to the right team.

Philly holds the #15. Blair is a Penn native and the sixers could use him or Bonner(NH born) to replace Hawes and Brand. Neal could add scorer to back court.

Phoenix has the #13. I dont believe we could work a trade with Phoenix becaused of the Nash issues. If he leaves, the dump and rebuild, if he stays, they will want to sign a couple of vets to put with him.

Milwaukee at #12. They can use just about any big man with experience. Bonner and Blair could work in their system. Milwaukee also, needs back court help. A package of Neal and Blair for the 12 and Leuer. Gives the Bucks 10 mil to try and resign Elyasova.

#11 belongs to Portland. Doubt they give this up, but a offer could not hurt.

#10 New Orleans. May want more than we would part with to get this pick, unless Demps wants to return favor to Spurs for helping him get the GM job.

Going the other way, Dallas and Orlando will likely keep their picks at 17 and 19.

Boston has a ton of cap space and would like to sign a couple of solid free agents. A trade of either 20 or 21 would be possible, but at this point, I dont think we would get value back. Although, I would trade Neal for either.

A draft and trade with Atlanta at 23 would be nice. They are way over the cap. The 23 salary starts at 1.1 M. A trade for Neal or Blair cuts back salary and give them a vet to play from the beginning.

Bonner alone might net a second between 36 and 45, depending on the need of a team after the 1st round.

Neal and Blair packaged to Cleveland for the 24 and 34.

Loads of options for us with these three, but throw in Jax and get cap space and we would really be on the way.

:(

Agloco
06-27-2012, 05:33 PM
A lot less.

SenorSpur
06-27-2012, 07:06 PM
:(Chase Budinger for #18.

I think some on here think players have little or no value, until, they are talked about in a trade. (

^This

Draft day trade and trade deadline day are two days out of the year when player's values tend to be over-inflated. Sometimes it's because teams are simply desparate to do deals.

That said, if the Spurs really want to get into the first round, it would be logical to target one of those teams that have at least two first round picks (Boston). However for their particular needs, I don't think the Spurs need to worry about getting into the first round, I believe their kind of big player can be had at the top of the second round.

As for Drummond, I don't see the Spurs going anywhere near him because of his dogged poor work habits and motor.

racm
06-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Rockets got # 12 and Livingston/Brockman/Leuer for #14 and Dalembert. This means they have no center and are definitely going for broke for Dwight.

CGD
06-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Rockets got # 12 and Livingston/Brockman/Leuer for #14 and Dalembert. This means they have no center and are definitely going for broke for Dwight.

Or they are looking to draft a big of course.

I like what Houston is doing. I'm still confused as to why the Bucks did that trade tbh. Looking at the salaries, they really arent shedding much at all (prolly around 2M since most of those contracts are partially guaranteed); then again, they must think there isnt that much of a talent gap in those 2 spots so the 2M in savings is worth it.

ploto
06-27-2012, 11:15 PM
A too short SG who can not defend and a too short PF who gets fat...