PDA

View Full Version : Will we do something in this draft, yes or no?

The ADMIRAL 50
06-27-2012, 01:14 AM
The draft is close Spurstalkers, very close.

As it stands right now, the Spurs have only the second to last pick in the entire draft, #59. It's no secret we could use an injection of a solid young player, much like the FO managed to pull off this time last year. Flipping combo guard George Hill for the jaw-droppingly potential riddled and already solid as shit Kawhi Leonard turned out to be a masterstroke, not to mention the fact the deal included possibly-soon-to-be-Spur Erazem Lorbek and super young, super raw, blatantly-comparable-to-Dirk Davis Bertans. Naturally, it would be naive to expect as much this time around, but that can hardly stop us Spurtalkers from hoping for and maybe even expecting it. Sure we may not have a ton of assets, and yea it may take overpaying to get a good pick in this year's dense draft, but what the hell; I'm sure Pop and RC can think of something. Even possible moves into a better second round position have been discussed, but truth is we really won't have any idea what we are capable of doing until we do or don't do it.

So the question is this: Do you believe the Spurs will do something, ANYTHING, besides simply pick at #59 in Thursday night's draft?

Personally, I think we need to. Ergo, I think we will. I generally hold the FO in high regard and because we need to I believe they'll pull off something. Simply picking at #59 alone isn't enough and even if the move isnt as dramatic or impacting as we may hope or as we might have witnessed last year, I think the Spurs have something up their sleeve. Of course, the sad sack cynic in me could easily play a detailed devil's advocate, as I'm sure many Spurstalkers will, but my vote, and my hope, is yes.

ElNono
06-27-2012, 01:19 AM
Fairly used to the Spurs not doing much of anything, so my expectations going in will be that. That said, they really surprised everyone last year, so there's always hope they can pull some sort of deal. This draft is much different than last season though, and I expect it will be much harder to snag some higher pick.

AussieFanKurt
06-27-2012, 02:09 AM
I hope so, I guess

BatManu20
06-27-2012, 02:35 AM
Hope we will, but don't see any teams giving up their first round pick to us unless we trade a future first rounder, which would be dumb on our part considering we only have this year to really compete. Anything could happen though.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-27-2012, 03:28 AM
Hope we will, but don't see any teams giving up their first round pick to us unless we trade a future first rounder, which would be dumb on our part considering we only have this year to really compete. Anything could happen though.

Chase Budinger, a middling one way wing player just netted Houston pick #18.

intlspurshk
06-27-2012, 03:50 AM
If Tiago is offered, then mid 1st round pick is possible

iManu
06-27-2012, 04:10 AM
Blair + Neal + Next year's 1st round: no sweat off our balls.

Since we don't have a 1st rounder this year, not having one next year makes little/no difference.

Blair and Neal, unfortunately, are somewhat redundant (and worth a lot more to someone else).

sananspursfan21
06-27-2012, 09:53 AM

Saw that this morning. Seems to show that gm's arent really too high on the crop of talent either

racm
06-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Saw that this morning. Seems to show that gm's arent really too high on the crop of talent either

Well, the Wolves would rather take a known commodity (Budinger flourished under Adelman) rather than take a flyer on a prospect.

Plus, Budinger is better than the running joke known as the Minnesota wing rotation.

pad300
06-27-2012, 10:13 AM
I think they will try to do something, they would surely like to add a) some athleticism to the bigs, b) a backup pg, and c) they should always be looking for talent. I am uncertain if a) they think the draft is a good opportunity this year (as opposed to say, a s&t deal for Garnett as a FA), and b) if they will succeed.

SamoanTD
06-27-2012, 10:23 AM

After I saw that I was thinking we could trade for all the 1st round picks if there pulling that shit.:lol

urunobili
06-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Blair and/or Neal will grant them a 20th or so...

jag
06-27-2012, 10:52 AM
I tend to think they will. They know they won't win with the current roster, and the regular season showed how valuable some of their assets are/can be. They have pieces to move, so I'm sure the FO will do what it can to position itself to take a young player that can contribute immediately (Hill/Blair/Leonard).

They could end up not making any moves, but I don't think it will be for lack of trying.

xmas1997
06-27-2012, 11:03 AM
They need to do something to make up for the blunder of trading their first round draft pick and Jefferson for Jackson when they could have kept the pick and amnestied Jefferson.

Mel_13
06-27-2012, 11:04 AM
They need to do something to make up for the blunder of trading their first round draft pick and Jefferson for Jackson when they could have kept the pick and amnestied Jefferson.

:lmao

smaka
06-27-2012, 11:05 AM
I think we will make a move.... which means next year imo we don't see Splitter/Neal/Blair/?? in a Spurs uniform...

Twisted_Dawg
06-27-2012, 11:19 AM
I think a lot of Spurs fans tend to overvalue Blair/Neal/Sputter. Sputter might bring a pick from 25-30. Neal or Blair: high 2nd rounder at best.

smaka
06-27-2012, 11:23 AM
I think a lot of Spurs fans tend to overvalue Blair/Neal/Sputter. Sputter might bring a pick from 25-30. Neal or Blair: high 2nd rounder at best.

hm why was Budinger worth 18th pick then?

Mel_13
06-27-2012, 11:27 AM
hm why was Budinger worth 18th pick then?

He was worth the 18th pick to Adelman and Kahn. That tells us nothing about what value other teams may assign to players like Blair and Neal.

Think about it this way. The 18th pick is worth more than the 20th pick. Do you think Boston would have traded the 20th pick for Budinger? I don't.

loveforthegame
06-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Last year after the Memphis embarrassment the Spurs made changes. I think the OKC meltdown is a cry for even more help.

I'd like to believe they'll be making changes but not sure if they'll do it with the draft. I hope so but I think we're going to be sorely disappointed.

Thomas82
06-27-2012, 12:55 PM
I see the Spurs trying to make a trade up in this draft. I think Bonner, Neal, Blair, and possibly Splitter are the trading chips. And possibly next year's 1st rounder as well.

- Spurs have De Colo to replace Neal. IMO Big Upgrade at the Backup PG position
- Spurs have Lorbek to replace Bonner. Again big upgrade at the backup PF position
- Spurs will probably be replacing Splitter with a C in this draft. Likely pick would be Drummond, who would be that shot blocking athletic C that many want.
- Spurs more than likely resign Diaw, unless they somehow acquire KG, which is not likely but anything can happen. Diaw makes Blair somewhat expendable at this point.

Spurs could easily package a deal of Spliiter, Bonner, Neal, or Blair and next year's first to move high in the lottery. Honestly the pick would be a Bonus, because moving Bonner, Blair and Neal off the books, Spurs will be able to sign De Colo and Lorbek and resign Diaw.

Spurs have alot of options. And all those cheap FA pickups and low draft picks might net them a pick around 7-15 range in this year's draft. The main focus should be unloading Bonner for sure and signing Lorbek and De Colo to upgrade the roster.

If the Spurs ended with roster like this after the draft and FA I would be elated.

Parker/De Colo
Green/Manu
Leonard/SJax
Duncan/Lorbek
Diaw/Drummond

Houston is looking at him too. That's who I want us to have, but I would also be happy with Meyers Leonard too if we got him.

TMTTRIO
06-27-2012, 01:08 PM
hopefully we'll get lucky like this again in the draft.
Ln1VDqRZvSg

AFBlue
06-27-2012, 01:22 PM
If nothing else, I think they'll look to buy an additional pick in the second round. This is a very deep draft and the Spurs will need to continue their model of "rebuilding on the fly". While they may not make any franchise-altering moves, I expect them to capitalize on the surplus of value this draft presents.

Spursfan092120
06-27-2012, 01:52 PM
He was worth the 18th pick to Adelman and Kahn. That tells us nothing about what value other teams may assign to players like Blair and Neal.

Think about it this way. The 18th pick is worth more than the 20th pick. Do you think Boston would have traded the 20th pick for Budinger? I don't.

They also got draft rights to Lior Eliyahu in the deal.

spurraider21
06-27-2012, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't imagine we do. We have nobody really worth trading. Our first order of business is to resign Timmy to a 1 or 2 year deal. As long as Tim is around they will not be trading Tony Parker. Parker was our best player for a majority of the season and is making less than 13 million, a pretty good deal for a player like that in his prime. Our 2 other large contracts are Manu and Jax (14 and 10 mil, respectively), but they are both key contributers and perhaps equally importantly, are both expiring contracts and are thus very valuable to hang onto for this season. Our best move is to do our best to resign Diaw and Green. Neal and Blair are both very (very) cheap and are worth hanging onto. Kawhi is obviously untouchable. Our other contracts of note are Tiago (roughly 4 million, not much at all for a big with some skill, considering Deandre Jordan makes 11 mil), and Bonner (about 3.5 mil). One addition I would imagine we make would be Lorbek coming over which makes Bonner expendable (as Lorbek is a more skilled stretch 4). I doubt anybody would trade for Bonner, though. I'm not sure if its worth amnestying a 3 million dollar contract considering Bonner can eat regular season minutes. The only other issue is bringing in a true backup point guard, and there are rumors Nando de Colo is coming over. Don't expect a splash trade, as we have no first round pick.

Budkin
06-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Blair and Neal have to go.

TimmehC
06-27-2012, 02:11 PM
If someone they like drops, yes. Otherwise, they'll probably look for teams with a surplus at certain positions after the draft to try to make a deal.

gambit1990
06-27-2012, 02:32 PM
i want to say we will.

after trading hill for leonard (& draft rights), trading jefferson for jackson, and acquiring diaw, we went from getting beat by an 8th seed in the 1st round of the playoffs to being 6 wins away from a title.

we were close and the window isn't opening.

i hope someone would take splitter & blair for a #10 to #14 so we might have a shot at john henson or possibly andre drummond.

at least the wait is almost over.

AFBlue
06-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Blair and Neal have to go.

No they don't. Neal needs to not be the backup PG and Blair needs not be the starting C, but they're both cheap and relatively effective role players. If they can upgrade then it's a no-brainer, but neither has to go.

Nathan89
06-27-2012, 05:25 PM
I think Blair and Neal will be traded. It's the last year of their contract and I don't believe the Spurs will be able to retain either for good value. Moving the two of them gives them a possibility to get better players this year but mostly it preventing the value of the assets from just leaving next year.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Fairly used to the Spurs not doing much of anything, so my expectations going in will be that. That said, they really surprised everyone last year, so there's always hope they can pull some sort of deal. This draft is much different than last season though, and I expect it will be much harder to snag some higher pick.

If Budinger can return HOU the #18....

dbestpro
06-27-2012, 07:14 PM
The simple fact is they didn't even work out anyone that might be considered a first round draft pick so you can rest assure that our first pick in the draft will be near the end of the draft.

AFBlue
06-27-2012, 07:17 PM
The simple fact is they didn't even work out anyone that might be considered a first round draft pick so you can rest assure that our first pick in the draft will be near the end of the draft.

They didn't work out Leonard last year.