PDA

View Full Version : Texas GOP Platform Explicitly Opposes Critical Thinking

scott
06-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Actual excerpt from the Texas GOP Platform:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Interesting... tactic?

Thoughts from the forum Red Teamers?

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/news/2012-06-27/gop-opposes-critical-thinking/

boutons_deux
06-27-2012, 01:34 PM
TX Repugs in the VRWC/"Christian" ranks of fucktards inducing The Age of Benightedness.

boutons_deux
06-27-2012, 01:36 PM
in the same TX thread, another asshole

Meet Larry Smith, Texas' Wannabe Anti-Shariah Sheriff

Larry Smith, a former Drug Enforcement Administration agent running for sheriff in Smith County, Texas, has a unique plank in his platform: He has pledged to protect this deep-red border county from the creeping menace of Islamic religious law, or Shariah.

Outside of science fiction, this Texas county—which voted for John McCain at a 70 percent clip—doesn't seem the most likely place for an Islamist takeover. After all, creeping Shariah is mostly a myth. The issue might come up in civil cases if both parties to a contract have accepted an agreement based on religious law, but the Constitution bars religious law from superseding civil law.

Despite his out-there Shariah stance, Smith has earned the endorsement of the county's local paper. And local Democrats aren't even fielding a candidate in the sheriff's race. That means next Tuesday's Republican primary—which includes four candidates for the county's top law enforcement post—will likely decide whether Smith County's next sheriff devotes time to worrying about a Shariah takeover.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/05/shariah-sheriff-larry-smith

cheguevara
06-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Every political power in history has opposed critical thinking

scott
06-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Every political power in history has opposed critical thinking

Most don't take a point of writing it down and broadcasting it though.

cheguevara
06-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Most don't take a point of writing it down and broadcasting it though.

maybe they're following their own advice?

SnakeBoy
06-27-2012, 02:10 PM

I think if the blue team thinks this is appropriate education for kids in middle school then this country is fucked.

http://hots.org/tour/index.html

Take the tour.

scott
06-27-2012, 02:23 PM
I think if the blue team thinks this is appropriate education for kids in middle school then this country is fucked.

Take the tour.

Which parts did you find inappropriate for the target demographic?

scott
06-27-2012, 02:24 PM

Take the tour.

And when is it appropriate to teach critical thinking skills?

SnakeBoy
06-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Your question assumes that having 8th graders simplistic video games and crossword puzzles equals critical thinking skills, I don't agree.

I would say that judging from your post we need to focus more on reading comprehension skills. I would say that except I know you're smart enough to understand what the gop statement really opposes and you are just just spinning for the sake of your team.

But to play along, why do you oppose knowledge based education?

mavs>spurs
06-27-2012, 02:48 PM
The dumbing down of America began long ago, this isn't anything new :lol

Think about it, people who can't think critically tend to not question things. You know, things that the government does. They become easily manipulated.

TeyshaBlue
06-27-2012, 02:52 PM

Interesting... tactic?

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/news/2012-06-27/gop-opposes-critical-thinking/

There are reasoned arguments against outcome based initiatives. But, most laymen seem to equate OB to No Child Left Behind, which is a very crude comparison. I can see where that would taint the impression one might have of an outcome based program tho.

The blog posted is little more than a boutons-esque slobbering rant.

z0sa
06-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Critical thinking is against Americans' values? Ok :lol

but I agree that they are saying that in a more figurative yet specific way, about these supposed "critical thinking" skill initiatives. But presentation is everything ...

SnakeBoy
06-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Scott let me tell you a quick story and see if you think this kids parents opposed critical thinking skills.

When I owned a small retail store I hired a 15 year old kid. He was very smart and wanted to be a mechanical engineer. He took a critical thinking course at Smithson Valley High and in class they played monopoly and other board games. When his parents found out they pulled him out of Smithson Valley High and sent him to another school. After he graduated his parents sent him to UTA to get his engineering degree on their dime.

Now did his parents oppose critical thinking skills or do you think it was something else they opposed?

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2012, 03:04 PM
The willingness to believe that parents' beliefs are inherently correct and should not be challenged seems to be both: (1) an attempt to ensure, in many cases, that deeply flawed but earnestly held beliefs will perpetuate themselves; and (2) completely counter to a child's seemingly inherent need or desire to question a parent's judgments.

I also wonder: if the parent's authority lies (in part) in instilling certain fixed beliefs and if teachers should not teach with a purpose to challenge fixed beliefs instilled through the proper exercise of parental authority, if the parents of children in a particular classroom have been instilled with conflicting fixed beliefs, then what? Is the next step insisting that all parents should instill the same fixed beliefs? or are some fixed beliefs more worthy of protection than others?

TeyshaBlue
06-27-2012, 03:21 PM
That willingness seems to be hardwired into the psyche of a child for the most part. So is the need to question a parent's judgement.

The kicker here is that these two behaviors manifest themselves at different times. This is what I like about OCBE in light of the emerging trends that show a college degree uber alles is not all it could be, it (OCBE) has the potential for flexibility that input based systems just can't accomodate.

Wild Cobra
06-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Interesting... tactic?

I would assume that "HOTS," like any other good sounding program, is a failure.

HOTS is a program. Do you really think anyone would be against instilling critical thinking? I'll bet it's another mandated program that costs millions or billions, and doesn't produce results.

TeyshaBlue
06-27-2012, 03:34 PM
My caveat to my prior post: When in the realm of special needs students, the input based system is has the ability to be individualized, which is much more difficult in the OCBE system as I understand it.

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Just to be clear, my point wasn't to champion current theories of education. I tend to think most public education is woefully inadequate and that we get further and further away from the ideal as we develop one-size-fits-all approaches to educating children. My child is still several years away from entering the educational system in any meaningful way, but when I talk with friends who have school aged children, I'm frequently appalled to hear stories about things that happen in public school classrooms these days.

I just thought the "parent as absolute bastion of absolute truth" notion was silly.

TeyshaBlue
06-27-2012, 04:46 PM
I just thought the "parent as absolute bastion of absolute truth" notion was silly.

It is at some levels. It's also a defense mechanism at others.:toast

scott
06-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Your question assumes that having 8th graders simplistic video games and crossword puzzles equals critical thinking skills, I don't agree.

I would say that judging from your post we need to focus more on reading comprehension skills. I would say that except I know you're smart enough to understand what the gop statement really opposes and you are just just spinning for the sake of your team.

Your answer makes a lot of assumptions about what you don't agree to. You took the simplest part of what the statement is about and applied it to the highest level of the demographic. You mentioned something about spinning?

Reading comprehension? Which team is my team?

Destructing the sentence, it says this:

We oppose the teaching of... critical thinking skills... that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE)... which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Your assumption that I oppose Knowledge-based Education seems to point that you could use some more critical thinking skills. Are OBE and KBE mutually exclusive? Have I suggested that KBE has no place in a classroom, or that I am opposed to it?

scott
06-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Scott let me tell you a quick story and see if you think this kids parents opposed critical thinking skills.

When I owned a small retail store I hired a 15 year old kid. He was very smart and wanted to be a mechanical engineer. He took a critical thinking course at Smithson Valley High and in class they played monopoly and other board games. When his parents found out they pulled him out of Smithson Valley High and sent him to another school. After he graduated his parents sent him to UTA to get his engineering degree on their dime.

Now did his parents oppose critical thinking skills or do you think it was something else they opposed?

This is a fun story, but doesn't really address the point being discussed here, which FWD has been able to narrow in on: the idea that our students shouldn't have their fixed beliefs challenged, and doing so undermines parental authority.

Mind you, I'm not defending any system that is being used today - because (as I'll touch on later) in my experience those systems aren't working.

As an actual professional educator, I'm continually appalled at the lack of critical thinking skills my students have as college sophomores. Getting back to your example, had these students had certain games introduced to them as a part of curriculum at an early stage, they would be better thinkers. For example, some systems are introducing chess as a part of the curriculum around 3rd grade. That doesn't mean the students sit around and play chess all day, it's merely one component of the educational system. There are a lot of "games" (we aren't talking about Call of Duty or Shoots N' Ladders here) that foster and teach critical thinking, and they should be included in the curriculum IMO.

scott
06-27-2012, 05:36 PM
That willingness seems to be hardwired into the psyche of a child for the most part. So is the need to question a parent's judgement.

The kicker here is that these two behaviors manifest themselves at different times. This is what I like about OCBE in light of the emerging trends that show a college degree uber alles is not all it could be, it (OCBE) has the potential for flexibility that input based systems just can't accomodate.

Flexibility and recognition that we don't live in a binary, one-size-fits-all world is an amazing thing, isn't it?

scott
06-27-2012, 05:37 PM
I would assume that "HOTS," like any other good sounding program, is a failure.

HOTS is a program. Do you really think anyone would be against instilling critical thinking? I'll bet it's another mandated program that costs millions or billions, and doesn't produce results.

You'd lose that bet, but good try.

TeyshaBlue
06-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Flexibility and recognition that we don't live in a binary, one-size-fits-all world is an amazing thing, isn't it?

YOU LIE!!:lol

ploto
06-27-2012, 06:03 PM
The willingness to believe that parents' beliefs are inherently correct and should not be challenged seems to be both: (1) an attempt to ensure, in many cases, that deeply flawed but earnestly held beliefs will perpetuate themselves; and (2) completely counter to a child's seemingly inherent need or desire to question a parent's judgments.

I also wonder: if the parent's authority lies (in part) in instilling certain fixed beliefs and if teachers should not teach with a purpose to challenge fixed beliefs instilled through the proper exercise of parental authority, if the parents of children in a particular classroom have been instilled with conflicting fixed beliefs, then what? Is the next step insisting that all parents should instill the same fixed beliefs? or are some fixed beliefs more worthy of protection than others?

We all know they are only interested in protecting their fixed beliefs.

mavs>spurs
06-27-2012, 07:30 PM
We all know they are only interested in protecting their fixed beliefs.

pretty fucking ironic coming from someone who champions circumcision in the face of all kinds of modern information and discoveries.

pot meet kettle.

ElNono
06-27-2012, 07:35 PM

If it's mere 8th graders simplistic video games and crossword puzzles, why would they "have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority"?

Sound like pretty weak/insecure parents, tbh

Drachen
06-27-2012, 07:49 PM
If it's mere 8th graders simplistic video games and crossword puzzles, why would they "have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority"?

Sound like pretty weak/insecure parents, tbh

under NO CIRCUMSTANCES shall your words ever cross

ploto
06-27-2012, 09:20 PM
pretty fucking ironic coming from someone who champions circumcision in the face of all kinds of modern information and discoveries.

pot meet kettle.

Where did I champion circumcision? I could not care less. I have no penis. I questioned the inconsistencies of your argument.

mavs>spurs
06-27-2012, 09:22 PM
I could not care less. I have no penis.

That's a pretty selfish way of looking at it, I guess we just shouldn't care about human rights or others in this country anymore.

Sorry, but I have a problem with mutilating the genitals of baby boys and girls, and any sane human being should too.

SnakeBoy
06-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Mind you, I'm not defending any system that is being used today - because (as I'll touch on later) in my experience those systems aren't working.

So you're not defending the programs just criticizing those who oppose the very programs that you say are not working.

Nice job on the deconstruction btw. Omitting "and other programs" does indeed change the meaning to suit your point. I notice daily kos has taken the same approach as you on this topic.

Go Team!

ploto
06-27-2012, 11:09 PM
That's a pretty selfish way of looking at it, I guess we just shouldn't care about human rights or others in this country anymore.
I am just not buying you as caring about human rights. Rather you seem to be using it to support your obsession with blaming your sexual inadequacies on your foreskin, or lack thereof.

Actually, my critical thinking compels me not to accept the assumption that Germany is somehow a bastion of human rights. Rather it is easily noted that many things are available for governments to persue to support the well being of infants, but they have chosen to target the one that is a religious rite for Jews and Muslims.

ElNono
06-27-2012, 11:13 PM
So you're not defending the programs just criticizing those who oppose the very programs that you say are not working.

You're still missing scott's point... the issue isn't with opposing certain programs that, among other things, foster critical thinking...

The issue is opposing programs because they foster critical thinking...

mingus
06-28-2012, 12:19 AM
I think schools should challenge the way an individual thinks. Challenging =/= changing.

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 01:00 AM
I am just not buying you as caring about human rights. Rather you seem to be using it to support your obsession with blaming your sexual inadequacies on your foreskin, or lack thereof.

Actually, my critical thinking compels me not to accept the assumption that Germany is somehow a bastion of human rights. Rather it is easily noted that many things are available for governments to persue to support the well being of infants, but they have chosen to target the one that is a religious rite for Jews and Muslims.

i have no sexual inadequacies so far i'm too young, but no doubt i'll probably be on the little blue pill or in denial come 50 like everyone else.

personal attacks aside, human rights trump parents religious rights. bodily integrity is sacred and must be upheld.

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 03:44 AM
The issue is opposing programs because they foster critical thinking...
Do you really believe that's what is happening?

scott
06-28-2012, 08:30 AM

Because I didn't go to the "If it's not 1, it must be 0!" school of logic, like you apparently did, I am capable of acknowledging we don't live in a binary world where KBE and OBE are mutually exclusive teaching methods. Ironically, anyone with a cursory set of critical thinking skills is able to recognize this.

Nice job on the deconstruction btw. Omitting "and other programs" does indeed change the meaning to suit your point. I notice daily kos has taken the same approach as you on this topic.

Since you brought up reading comprehension skills earlier in this thread, maybe you can provide an explanation of why you feel admitting "and similar programs" changes the meaning of the first half of the sentence.

Unedited, the phrase reads like this:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which...

There are only two ways to interpret this part of the sentence. Either:

A. We oppose...

the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification)
critical thinking skills
and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which...

B. We oppose...

the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification)
critical thinking skills
and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning)

which...

C. We oppose the teaching of...

Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification)
critical thinking skills
and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning)

which...

or

D. We oppose the teaching of...

Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification) that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning)
critical thinking skills that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning_

which...

I actually chose to give the GOP Platform the benefit of the doubt and deconstruction to interpretation D, the most generous of the possible interpretation. In reality, it's a quite poorly written sentence. Ironically fitting.

So tell me, how does omitting "and similar programs" change the meaning of the deconstruction?

Go Team!

You never answered me before, which is my team?

Drachen
06-28-2012, 08:40 AM

Dude, you disagree with him on this one issue plus you started a thread entitled "why you should vote for obama", OBVIOUSLY you are on the opposite team.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Do you really believe that's what is happening?

If that's not what's happening they need to fire whoever is writing thats stuff, because that's exactly what it says...

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 11:22 AM

Take the tour.
LOL...

Finally looked at that.

Here we are at home, trying to wean our kids off video games, and what are the schools doing...

TeyshaBlue
06-28-2012, 11:43 AM
.....has nothing to do with the video games your kids are playing at home...

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
.....has nothing to do with the video games your kids are playing at home...
I know that. I get the idea that something fun makes learning easier. Still, to what extent is this program in use? Is it making a difference? Is it mandated or optional?

Schools these days seem to take a "one size fits all" approach. I am sick of it. I would like to see more control at the lower levels and less control at the higher levels.

Drachen
06-28-2012, 11:54 AM
I know that. I get the idea that something fun makes learning easier. Still, to what extent is this program in use? Is it making a difference? Is it mandated or optional?

Schools these days seem to take a "one size fits all" approach. I am sick of it. I would like to see more control at the lower levels and less control at the higher levels.

Oh the irony especially in light of scott's participation in this thread.

scott
06-28-2012, 11:56 AM
http://nextlol.com/images/342-i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.png

Drachen
06-28-2012, 12:02 PM
http://nextlol.com/images/342-i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.png

If anyone thinks that we need less critical thinking, they should read this thread.

RandomGuy
06-28-2012, 12:33 PM

team schmeam.

Puzzle solving and strategies for games are very useful things for learning how to analyze problems, something an engineer needs.

He didn't say he opposed it from what I could see.

The reason that people from around the planet clamber to get into US schools is that they teach things like this, as opposed to mindless memorization.

Still not sure what the issue is here, though, to see what the OP is talking about.

RandomGuy
06-28-2012, 01:26 PM

Interesting... tactic?

Gawd, read the whole platform. What a fucking joke. Conspiracy theory and religious nutbags are obviously running the show there

The sanctity of human life, created in the image of God, which should be protected from fertilization to natural death.

“The laws of nature and nature’s God”

Preservation of Republican Form of Government - We support our republican form of government in Texas as set forth in the Texas Bill of Rights and oppose Initiative and Referendum. We also urge the Texas Legislature and the U.S. Congress to enact legislation prohibiting any judicial jurisdiction from allowing any substitute or parallel system of Law, specifically foreign Law (including Sharia Law), which is not in accordance with the U.S. or Texas Constitutions.

Gotta keep that sharia law out.

The Rights of a Sovereign People - The Republican Party of Texas supports the historic concept, established by our nations’ founders, of limited civil government jurisdiction under the natural laws of God, and repudiates the humanistic doctrine that the state is sovereign over the affairs of men, the family and the church.

Rights Versus Products -- We oppose calling welfare and other income and product redistribution schemes “rights” or “entitlements”. We know that fundamental human rights are inherent to individuals and are granted by God

Family and Defense of Marriage ― We support the definition of marriage as a God-ordained, legal and moral commitment only between a natural man and a natural woman

Pornography ― We encourage the enforcement of laws regarding all forms of pornography, because pornography is detrimental to the fabric of society.

:lmao Good luck on that.

RU 486 - We urge the FDA to rescind approval of the physically dangerous RU-486 and oppose limiting the manufacturers’ and distributors’ liability.
Morning After Pill - We oppose sale and use of the dangerous “Morning After Pill.”

UN Treaty on the Rights of the Child ― We unequivocally oppose the United States Senate’s ratification of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

um, what?

Caring for Our Mentally Disabled Citizens ― We urge the Legislature to continue funding and operating all state-supported living centers for the mentally disabled, increase training standards of state-supported living center employees, and ensure efficient funding and quality of service.

how will this be paid for, exactly?

American Identity Patriotism and Loyalty – We believe the current teaching of a multicultural curriculum is divisive. We favor strengthening our common American identity and loyalty instead of political correctness that nurtures alienation among racial and ethnic groups. Students should pledge allegiance to the American and Texas flags daily to instill patriotism.

Controversial Theories – We support objective teaching and equal treatment of all sides of scientific theories. We believe theories such as life origins and environmental change should be taught as challengeable scientific theories subject to change as new data is produced. Teachers and students should be able to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of these theories openly and without fear of retribution or discrimination of any kind.

Teach the controversy... blech. Because the origin of life is so up in the air with real scientists... :rolleyes

Here is the OP's bit:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Judeo-Christian Nation – As America is a nation under God founded on Judeo-Christian principles, we affirm the constitutional right of all individuals to worship in the religion of their choice.
Safeguarding Our Religious Liberties – We affirm that the public acknowledgement of God is undeniable in our history and is vital to our freedom, prosperity and strength. We pledge our influence toward a return to the original intent of the First Amendment and toward dispelling the myth of separation of church and state. We urge the Legislature to increase the ability of faith-based institutions and other organizations to assist the needy and to reduce regulation of such organizations.

Theocracy, here we come.

Heretics need not apply.

What fucking garbage.

To be fair, I found no few things that I whole-heartedly agreed with.

Winehole23
06-28-2012, 01:31 PM
To be fair, I found no few things that I whole-heartedly agreed with. like what, please?

Winehole23
06-28-2012, 01:32 PM
(areas of agreement tend to be deemphasized in the heat of debate, but they are still interesting)

SnakeBoy
06-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Puzzle solving and strategies for games are very useful things for learning how to analyze problems, something an engineer needs.

Good point, maybe I'm wrong on this issue. My degree is EE from UTSA (it's no MIT I know) and I now remember that when I worked as an engineer and later as a software developer I would sometimes struggle with problems and think to myself "I don't need more knowledge I just need to be better at crossword puzzles".

Sarcasm aside, hey what do I know. I oppose programs that claim to teach critical thinking skills but don't work therefore I must oppose critical thinking.

SnakeBoy
06-28-2012, 02:30 PM

You started the thread and you are clearly (imo) playing the blue team card in this thread. Just as you are in the "Activist Judges" thread you started. But I know your an independent just as I am, and Randomguy, and Wild Cobra, and DarrinS, and El Nono, and..........

I've started threads where I played the red team card even though I'm not really on the red team. Then I decided such stupid and dishonest threads really make this forum suck.

Blake
06-28-2012, 02:35 PM

I'm disgusted with the no child left behind policy instituted by W.

scott
06-28-2012, 02:39 PM
You started the thread and you are clearly (imo) playing the blue team card in this thread. Just as you are in the "Activist Judges" thread you started. But I know your an independent just as I am, and Randomguy, and Wild Cobra, and DarrinS, and El Nono, and..........

I've started threads where I played the red team card even though I'm not really on the red team. Then I decided such stupid and dishonest threads really make this forum suck.

How was I playing the Blue Team card? I think I'm playing the "opposing critical thinking is a bad move" card.

And you realized I started the "Activist Judges" thread before the SCOTUS ruling right?

SnakeBoy
06-28-2012, 02:45 PM
How was I playing the Blue Team card? I think I'm playing the "opposing critical thinking is a bad move" card.

No you are playing the Texas GOP Platform Explicitly Opposes Critical Thinking card.

I don't believe these programs work. This has been confirmed in this thread by a professional educator. So I oppose these programs. Does this mean I oppose critical thinking?

TeyshaBlue
06-28-2012, 03:00 PM
No you are playing the Texas GOP Platform Explicitly Opposes Critical Thinking card.

I don't believe these programs work. This has been confirmed in this thread by a professional educator. So I oppose these programs. Does this mean I oppose critical thinking?

um, who?

SnakeBoy
06-28-2012, 03:07 PM
um, who?

As an actual professional educator, I'm continually appalled at the lack of critical thinking skills my students have as college sophomores.

TeyshaBlue
06-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Ok. I got lost when you conflated critical thinking with "those programs"/

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 03:12 PM
scott where do you teach bro? i'm looking for a good economics program for grad school (not immediately)

SnakeBoy
06-28-2012, 03:17 PM
scott where do you teach bro? i'm looking for a good economics program for grad school (not immediately)

I don't know where he teaches but let me tell you something young man. Choosing which program you should pursue because an instructor in that program posts on an internet forum that you also post on is definitely the way to go. Hey, have you taken any of these critical thinking programs?

leemajors
06-28-2012, 03:41 PM
scott where do you teach bro? I'm looking for a good economics program for grad school (not immediately)

utsa

scott
06-28-2012, 03:46 PM

There is a really good list and ranking on the web. Let me track it down for you.

scott
06-28-2012, 03:50 PM

First 5 pages of Google search isn't finding the list I was looking for, so I would basically recommend you focus your search on institutions that have a PhD program, and not consider anything without one (UTSA doesn't have one).

From there it obviously depends on your desired area of concentration and whether you prefer a more research or teaching-focused career.

scott
06-28-2012, 03:51 PM

Which it does. So cool.

You may or may not oppose critical thinking, but you definitely aren't very good at it if this thread is any indication. I said our current education system isn't working, not the things that the GOP Platform say they oppose aren't working.

scott
06-28-2012, 03:52 PM
I don't know where he teaches but let me tell you something young man. Choosing which program you should pursue because an instructor in that program posts on an internet forum that you also post on is definitely the way to go. Hey, have you taken any of these critical thinking programs?

Because undoubtedly he was going to roll immediately upon my response.

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 04:17 PM

Because undoubtedly he was going to roll immediately upon my response.

Yeah scott this guy's retarded and has some sort of problem with me, pay him no mind.

The question was actually 2 fold, one I was curious which school he taught at, and 2 i figured an economics professor could tell me all about which programs were the best and maybe a recommended plan of action.

I'm taking intermediate macroeconomics right now just as an elective, aced the first test i'm thinking it might be worth pursuing later on it's at least interesting.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Somebody posted other nuggets from this "platform"...

We affirm that the practice of homosexuality tears at the fabric of society and contributes to the breakdown of the family unit. Homosexual behavior is contrary to the fundamental, unchanging truths that have been ordained by God, recognized by our country’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans.

Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable “alternative” lifestyle, in public policy, nor should “family” be redefined to include homosexual “couples.” We believe there should be no granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of state of origin. Additionally, we oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction or belief in traditional values.

Voter Rights Act – We urge that the Voter Rights Act of 1965 codified and updated in 1973 be repealed and not reauthorized.

We urge amendment of the Internal Revenue Code to allow a religious organization to address issues without fear of losing its tax-exempt status. We call for repeal of requirements that religious organizations send the government any personal information about their contributors.

We support adoption of American English as the official language of Texas and of the United States.

Nbadan
07-03-2012, 04:03 AM
The Terrifying Texas GOP Platform
by John T. Harvey at Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntharvey/2012/07/01/texas-gop-platform/

"SNIP.....................................

The document (available here) has already made headlines with the portion that opposes the “teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills” and “critical thinking skills.” Although a partial retraction followed, this was in terms of the wording, not the general meaning. It appears that their fear is that these “focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.” Think about that for a moment. First off, do they really and truly believe that teachers and school boards across the State of Texas are designing curricula specifically aimed at training children to challenge their parents? Second, do you know which values and concepts are rejected in the absence of higher order and critical thinking? None! Therefore, depending on the time and place when we decide to stop challenging ideas and meekly accept what we are told, we might thereafter and forever be racists, sexists, communists, fascists, democrats, capitalists, Christians, Buddhists, Lutherans, geocentrists, pacifists, Wiccans, or whatever the prevailing views of that day were. Nothing would ever again be questioned. Were we to implement such a policy, we’d have to be certain that we had already identified the concepts and values that were “correct” (whatever that really means). Even a cursory reading of their platform makes it very clear that this is precisely what Texas Republicans believe and what those concepts and values are. This begs the question, who is really aiming to force their beliefs on our children, Texas schools or Texas Republicans? Personally, I prefer what I learned during my twelve years of Catholic school and eight years of public higher education: if a belief cannot stand up to scrutiny, then we shouldn’t believe it; and if it does, we will hold it all the more strongly for the very reason that it withstood our challenge.

Another disturbing feature of the document is that while they “urge the Legislature to direct expenditures to academics as the first priority,” they also contend that “Since data is (sic) clear that additional money does not translate into educational achievement, and higher education costs are out of control, we support reducing taxpayer funding to all levels of education institutions” (emphasis added). Not only is the second statement inconsistent with the first (not to mention rather frightening), it isn’t true. The implications of the data are far from clear. In point of fact, economists have found that–not surprisingly–it matters how the money is spent (see here for a survey of the relevant literature). For example, reducing class sizes and adding remedial help appear to be particularly cost effective. Thus, contrary to the Texas GOP’s assertion, there are programs that both add to costs AND increase educational achievement. Furthermore, the most significant finding in the literature over the years has been that teacher quality is the absolute, number one factor driving student attainment. Surely the Texas GOP is not arguing that higher salaries would not tend to attract higher quality teachers or that funds for training and apprenticeship would not be well spent? The bottom line is, the actual evidence flies in the face of their claim that the research shows unequivocally that there is no connection between funding and outcomes. It simply isn’t true. A cynic might be tempted to conclude that the real goal of the Texas Republican Party is simply to find a means of circumventing Article VII of the Texas Constitution, requiring the State to “establish and make suitable provision for the support and maintenance of an efficient system of public free schools” (wherein, according to the Texas Supreme Court in Edgewood ISD vs. Kirby, efficient is not equivalent to “economical,” “inexpensive,” or “cheap”). I hope that’s not the case.

The economic policies recommended by the document are equally impractical and ill-considered. Bearing in mind that the fundamental problem faced in an advanced capitalist economy is insufficient demand to generate employment for all those willing to work (see Why Do Recessions Happen?), the following recommendations would operate to make this problem even worse:

......................................SNIP"