PDA

View Full Version : Obamacare decision announced...

Pages : [1] 2

CosmicCowboy
06-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Tomorrow.

Gotcha bitches!...:lol

boutons_deux
06-27-2012, 02:13 PM
real clear politics thinks "balls n strikes" Roberts will write the decision, since he didn't write any of the recent decisions.

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2012, 02:36 PM
real clear politics thinks "balls n strikes" Roberts will write the decision, since he didn't write any of the recent decisions.

Tom Goldstein of SCOTUSblog, who watches that Court about as closely as anyone and has been quite prescient about outcomes in the past, agrees on the likelihood that the Chief Justice writes the principal opinion (in a landmark case of this sort, one would think that the Chief Justice -- who assigns the opinion writing task for whichever side of the case he happens to be on -- would keep that assignment for himself).

Goldstein nevertheless predicts, with some hesitation, that the mandate will survive this challenge in some form or fashion.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2012/06/in-the-end/

z0sa
06-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Did you know that if you hold the cursor over the topic area for a moment, it will show you the first sentence or two of the post?

TeyshaBlue
06-27-2012, 02:57 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/teyshablue/You-Lie-Bitch-that-is-not-funny-and-you-know-it.jpg

boutons_deux
06-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Why I Hope SCOTUS Strikes Down Obamacare

It's likely the Supreme Court's ruling on Obamacare will be influenced by politics instead of historical precedent.

Since John Roberts' appointment as Chief Justice, SCOTUS has ruled in favor of corporate America's chief lobbying institution, the US Chamber of Commerce, in all seven cases where the Chamber took one side or the other. The Chamber has openly stated that the individual mandate can't be separated from the Affordable Care Act.

There won't be any middle ground for SCOTUS to take: they either keep the law intact, or strike all of it. Clarence Thomas' family receiving $1.5 million from anti-healthcare-reform special interests will undoubtedly play a part in his decision.

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/272-39/12121-focus-why-i-hope-scotus-strikes-down-obamacare

johnsmith
06-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Good one?

Wild Cobra
06-27-2012, 04:02 PM

It's likely the Supreme Court's ruling on Obamacare will be influenced by politics instead of historical precedent.

Since John Roberts' appointment as Chief Justice, SCOTUS has ruled in favor of corporate America's chief lobbying institution, the US Chamber of Commerce, in all seven cases where the Chamber took one side or the other. The Chamber has openly stated that the individual mandate can't be separated from the Affordable Care Act.

There won't be any middle ground for SCOTUS to take: they either keep the law intact, or strike all of it. Clarence Thomas' family receiving $1.5 million from anti-healthcare-reform special interests will undoubtedly play a part in his decision.

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/272-39/12121-focus-why-i-hope-scotus-strikes-down-obamacare
Let me get this strait.

You are saying that the words of a democrat politician, who was a former Clinton aide, is stating a fact while running for office?

Where is the evidence behind his accusation please.

101A
06-27-2012, 04:03 PM

Because Thomas was on the fence? The only thing that would be more surprising than Thomas voting to uphold the mandate would be Sotomayor voting to overturn.

Roberts and Kennedy are the only votes we don't know (on the mandate).

boutons_deux
06-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Boehner vows to repeal ‘Obamacare’ if it survives court challenge

Republican House Speaker John Boehner on Wednesday vowed to repeal all of the Affordable Care Act if the U.S. Supreme Court did not strike down the health care reform law.

“Now we all know the Supreme Court is likely to make some announcement about ObamaCare tomorrow,” he said. “We made it pretty clear, and I’ll make it clear one more time: if the court does not strike down the entire law, the House will move to repeal what’s left of it.”

“ObamaCare is driving up the cost of health care and making it harder for small businesses to hire new workers. Our focus has been the economy, and it will continue to be the economy.”

Boehner accused President Barack Obama of favoring campaigning over creating jobs. He said that House Republicans had passed more than 30 jobs bills. Most those bills involved tax cuts. :lol :lol :lol

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/06/27/boehner-vows-to-repeal-obamacare-if-it-survives-court-challenge/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 02:19 AM
Because Thomas was on the fence? The only thing that would be more surprising than Thomas voting to uphold the mandate would be Sotomayor voting to overturn.

Roberts and Kennedy are the only votes we don't know (on the mandate).
This Thomas/money thing is funny. I wonder if any of the resident liberals here looked up the facts over that. I'm just waiting for them to make fools of themselves more than ShazBot already has.

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 02:20 AM
if it gets overturned, will the current policy still stay in effect for like the rest of the year? i just need it to last a couple more months tbh

Nbadan
06-28-2012, 02:24 AM
many liberals wish it would be overturned and usher in the era of single payer, but I think the law will be upheld at least for the most part...

scott
06-28-2012, 08:38 AM
This is an especially interesting case since the repeal of Obamacare has been a centerpiece of Republican campaigns. If it gets thrown out by the court... then the entire GOP has lost it's main battle cry and the narrative changes.

If it gets upheld, it's a "win" for Obama, but it just strengthens the GOP's campaign issue and may drive voter turnout for the GOP in November.

If it's overturned by the court, Obama faces a defeat of his signature legislation, but then can rally around the idea of single-payer or universal health care (which are considered further left, but are likely to face similar constitutional challenges).

If the court upholds it, Obama has to continue to campaign on the support of a divisive law.

Drachen
06-28-2012, 08:43 AM
if it gets overturned, will the current policy still stay in effect for like the rest of the year? i just need it to last a couple more months tbh

If it is ruled unconstitutional, then it is not unconstitutional in a couple of months, it is unconstitutional now.

jack sommerset
06-28-2012, 08:47 AM
I'll be surprised if this healthcare law stays as is. God bless

Drachen
06-28-2012, 09:08 AM
CNN reporting that the mandate is not a valid use of the commerce clause.

Drachen
06-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Scotusblog says this "The individual mandate survives as a tax"

Drachen
06-28-2012, 09:10 AM
So the mandate is constitutional. Chief Justice Roberts joins the left of the Court.

Drachen
06-28-2012, 09:13 AM
The bottom line: the entire ACA is upheld, with the exception that the federal government's power to terminate states' Medicaid funds is narrowly read.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 09:14 AM
: the entire ACA is upheld, with the exception that the federal government's power to terminate states' Medicaid funds is narrowly read.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 09:15 AM
wow

Drachen
06-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Basically the government cannot use the commerce clause to justify the mandate, but can use the taxing powers of the congress to do so.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 09:19 AM
In that case, they need to raise the tax enough to pay for the health care they are providing. $400 is a joke.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2012, 09:23 AM
I actually wanted this mandate gone. Blah.

Th'Pusher
06-28-2012, 09:25 AM
I actually wanted this mandate gone. Blah.

Don't worry Boehner has vowed to repeal it.

Drachen
06-28-2012, 09:30 AM
In that case, they need to raise the tax enough to pay for the health care they are providing. $400 is a joke.

.. or 2% of your income whichever is higher.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Favorite tweet so far because its true:

GOP can still rejoice: ruling sticks it to the poor

Drachen
06-28-2012, 09:33 AM
it was roberts, not kennedy that crossed.

scott
06-28-2012, 09:35 AM
it was roberts, not kennedy that crossed.

Just about to post how interesting this is. I thought it would either be 5-4 Overturned or 6-3 Upheld. Didn't even think of 5-4 Upheld for my Fantasy Team.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Don't worry Boehner has vowed to repeal it.

Nothing more than a symbolic gesture at this point.

leemajors
06-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Conan:

Thanksgiving with the Supreme Court is going to be so awkward this year.

scott
06-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Sarah Palin comin' in hot!

@SarahPalinUSA
Obama lied to the American people. Again. He said it wasn't a tax. Obama lies; freedom dies.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 09:47 AM
Palin, while a ditz, does have a point. The ruling does give republicans ammo to call out Obama for raising taxes.

Drachen
Sarah Palin comin' in hot!

LOL how lame.

ducks
The Supreme Court has upheld the centerpiece of President Obama's health care overhaul, in effect allowing the law to survive.

In a 5-4 decision unveiled Thursday, the court ruled as constitutional the so-called individual mandate requiring most Americans to obtain health insurance starting in 2014.

The ruling is a victory for the president, ensuring for now that his signature domestic policy achievement remains intact.

It also ensures that the law will play a prominent role in the general election campaign, as Republican candidate Mitt Romney vows to repeal the law if elected.

Chief Justice John Roberts, who was appointed during a Republican administration, joined the four left-leaning justices on the bench in making the decision.

The ruling relied on a technical explanation of how the individual mandate could be categorized. Roberts, in the opinion, said the mandate could not be upheld under the Constitution's Commerce Clause. However, it could be upheld under the government's power to tax.

"The Affordable Care Act is constitutional in part and unconstitutional in part The individual mandate cannot be upheld as an exercise of Congress's power under the Commerce Clause," Roberts wrote. "That Clause authorizes Congress to regulate interstate commerce, not to order individuals to engage it. In this case, however, it is reasonable to construe what Congress has done as increasing taxes on those who have a certain amount of income, but choose to go without health insurance. Such legislation is within Congress's power to tax."

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 09:51 AM
.. or 2% of your income whichever is higher.

2% of income is still much cheaper than buying insurance.

Drachen
06-28-2012, 09:52 AM

Agreed, but you can pay x% of your income for nothing, or X+y% of your income for something.

it is a decision each individual has to make, but for someone making 50k, they can either pay 2k for coverage or 1k for nothing. seems kinda silly.

Th'Pusher
06-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Palin, while a ditz, does have a point. The ruling does give republicans ammo to call out Obama for raising taxes.

The Weekly Standard jumping on the new GOP talking point:
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-i-absolutely-reject-notion-it-s-tax_647927.html

scott
06-28-2012, 09:55 AM
The argument for requiring have their own health insurance is that you make folks responsible for paying for their own health care (when an insured person goes to the hospital, everyone else pays for it).

Now that the Supreme Court has ruled that it can force every legal resident to purchase insurance, it will be interesting to see how this plays into the Immigration Debate. So now what happens when an illegal immigrant with no health insurance shows up at a hospital?

Agloco
06-28-2012, 09:56 AM

Moot point tbh.

Th'Pusher
06-28-2012, 09:56 AM

And what happens to the guy who paid the tax who shows up in the emergency room?

Drachen
06-28-2012, 09:57 AM
The argument for requiring have their own health insurance is that you make folks responsible for paying for their own health care (when an insured person goes to the hospital, everyone else pays for it).

Now that the Supreme Court has ruled that it can force every legal resident to purchase insurance, it will be interesting to see how this plays into the Immigration Debate. So now what happens when an illegal immigrant with no health insurance shows up at a hospital?

I would say nothing since the hospital can't check their immigration status. The hospital doesn't know if it is a citizen who decided to pay the tax, or an illegal immigrant.

Drachen
06-28-2012, 09:59 AM
And what happens to the guy who paid the tax who shows up in the emergency room?

well, at least the government is getting SOME money from them to compensate for the "free" healthcare that they used.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 10:01 AM

You know what will happen. They will still get treatment for free.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 10:02 AM

The failure to address how illegals will be handled is one of the major shortcomings of the law.

I would say nothing since the hospital can't check their immigration status. The hospital doesn't know if it is a citizen who decided to pay the tax, or an illegal immigrant.

Isn't the hospital now forced into a defacto check on immigration status? If all citizens are now forced to have insurance, non-citizens should be the only ones left without it.

Juggity
06-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Excellent news. Roberts made a principled decision here.

Agloco
06-28-2012, 10:12 AM

Depends on what your income is no?

DarrinS
06-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Flashback

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2009/09/obama-mandate-is-not-a-tax/

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 10:16 AM

Just average quality insurance costs $400 a month at least. You would have to make $250,000 a year for 2% to be more.

Agloco
06-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Flashback

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2009/09/obama-mandate-is-not-a-tax/

Semantics tbh. People are ponying up regardless of the moniker used.

scott
06-28-2012, 10:18 AM
You know what will happen. They will still get treatment for free.

Of course, but that's kind of where I'm going.

Perhaps I'm the only one who feels this way (and this is likely better suited for its own thread), but I think it stresses the need for serious immigration reform.

The bottom line, is that so long as relative quality of life differences exist between nations, you will NEVER put a stop to immigration. The idea that you can is naive. One of the basic elements of human nature is the animal instinct to survive and seek out the best living situation possible.

My person opinion is that EVERY HUMAN BEING should have the right to try to do best for themselves and their families. If you were a poor Mexican, you'd be trying your damnedest to get here too.

The idea that we already have a system by which immigrants can come here legally is laughable. For starters, there are quotas in place which by default create the incentive for people to bypass the system in order seek a better life for themselves, the same goes with work permits and visas.

Call it a Guest Worker program, or whatever you want, but we need a system by which people can come to this country without a path to citizenship but still pay taxes. Any other immigration solution is a waste of time.

Agloco
06-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Just average quality insurance costs $400 a month at least. You would have to make $250,000 a year for 2% to be more.

:tu

Thanks for doing the math. This confirms my suspicions.

scott
06-28-2012, 10:24 AM

This is a good point, though if we are trying to net out the fiscal effects of the law, the tax need not be equal to the average cost of insurance, it needs to be equal to the average cost of the health care an uninsured person receives (which may be greater or less than the $400/month you cited).

Drachen
06-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Isn't the hospital now forced into a defacto check on immigration status? If all citizens are now forced to have insurance, non-citizens should be the only ones left without it.

No citizens are forced to have insurance. Citizens are forced to EITHER have insurance OR pay the tax.

boutons_deux
06-28-2012, 10:28 AM
the 4 JINOs against, no surprise.

but was Kennedy or umpire Roberts the 5th for?

up next:

SCALIA SAYS ALL Y'ALL GOTTA BUY BROCCOLI! :lol :lol :lol

what a fucking legal cretin

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 10:31 AM
No citizens are forced to have insurance. Citizens are forced to EITHER have insurance OR pay the tax.

Is the hospital going to have to report the uninsured people they treat to the government so that the government can be sure they're paying the tax? Any way you cut it, it sure seems to me like this law has unintentionally created a system where illegals are identifed.

boutons_deux
06-28-2012, 10:33 AM
The failure to address how illegals will be handled is one of the major shortcomings of the law.

illegals, like uninsured, receive "free care" (compassinate) care only at taxpayer funded facilities.

Now we have 40M uninsured at least paying something in (buy for-profit insurance or pay the penalty).

The real problem is that medical care and insurance are exorbitantly, unjustifiably expensive. any attempts to address that gets shouted down by screams and whining from the sick-care richies.

solution:

govt-employed, govt-financed doctors working on salary, not for fee-for-service,

and a hard-core, univeral no-profit public insurance option, taken out of every paycheck.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 10:35 AM
I'll be surprised if this healthcare law stays as is. God bless

rememba det time when you thought the SCOTUS would kill it? :lol

MannyIsGod
Is the hospital going to have to report the uninsured people they treat to the government so that the government can be sure they're paying the tax? Any way you cut it, it sure seems to me like this law has unintentionally created a system where illegals are identifed.

I don't think so. I think you're reaching.

boutons_deux

somewhat, but a long time ago, the humanitarian decision was made that no taxpayer-financed ER could deny care.

for-profit facilities could always, and still can, let you bleed, etc to death

scott
06-28-2012, 10:36 AM
govt-employed, govt-financed doctors working on salary, not for fee-for-service

I see bright individuals lining up in droves to best a government salaried doctor.

leemajors
06-28-2012, 10:38 AM
illegals, like uninsured, receive "free care" (compassinate) care only at taxpayer funded facilities.

Now we have 40M uninsured at least paying something in (buy for-profit insurance or pay the penalty).

The real problem is that medical care and insurance are exorbitantly, unjustifiably expensive. any attempts to address that gets shouted down by screams and whining from the sick-care richies.

solution:

govt-employed, govt-financed doctors working on salary, not for fee-for-service,

and a hard-core, univeral no-profit public insurance option, taken out of every paycheck.

I think we can all agree on this. I'm very, very glad my employer pays half of my insurance (esp since I have a child).

scott
06-28-2012, 10:38 AM

Don't think he is reaching at all.

This system creates a situation where every person in America legally pays for Health Care in one way or another, and illegal aliens don't.

Agloco
06-28-2012, 10:39 AM
somewhat, but a long time ago, the humanitarian decision was made that no taxpayer-financed ER could deny care.

for-profit facilities could always, and still can, let you bleed, etc to death

This couldn't be further from the truth. Any accredited health care institution is obligated to treat and stabilize the condition you came in with. Afterwards, transfer is arranged to a county facility.

Agloco
06-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Gotta respectfully disagree here Manny. Any illegal coming in for care would be on record as being a non-payer. Intentional or not, a list would be created over time.

Now, what is done with said information is another matter entirely. That almost certainly would become an issue down the road though.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 10:43 AM

There's got to be some mechanism for the government to know which citizens have insurance and which ones have to pay the tax. How is it a reach to think somebody is going to notice if you're not on either list?

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 10:44 AM
He's gonna lose big in November.

clambake
06-28-2012, 10:45 AM

and you will be taxed in 2014.

scott
06-28-2012, 10:46 AM

He might lose, but it assuredly won't be "big".

Until a candidate so amazing to sweep us all off our feet comes along, there will be no more "big" Presidential wins. They'll all be close.

Wild Cobra
Hopefully, we will see more deportations.

boutons_deux
I see bright individuals lining up in droves to best a government salaried doctor.

your anti-govt bias is obvious, asshole

do you liked having the sick-are industry suck out $100Ks of your income over your working years?

not every little, or non-major, treatment needs 5-star delivery in a 5-star facility by $500K+/year doctors.

100K/year are killed by medical errors in those 5-start medical factories.

I'm sure there are plenty of young people wanting practice medicine on a salary rather than wasting months per years working to cover overhead

Juggity
06-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Given his legislative accomplishments, personal popularity, and the court backing his signature achievement, I'd say the chances of your prophecy coming true are increasingly unlikely.

scott
your anti-govt bias is obvious, asshole

do you liked having the sick-are industry suck out $100Ks of your income over your working years?

not every little, or non-major, treatment needs 5-star delivery in a 5-star facility by $500K+/year doctors.

100K/year are killed by medical errors in those 5-start medical factories.

I'm sure there are plenty of young people wanting practice medicine on a salary rather than wasting months per years working to cover overhead

LOL, you think I'm a Republican and SnakeBoy thinks I'm a Democrat.

I think that means I'm exactly where I need to be.

Drachen

Why would they need to report to the government? The government will already know.

coyotes_geek
Now, what is done with said information is another matter entirely. That almost certainly would become an issue down the road though.

I can see Arizona and Texas racing to see who can crank out a law first that requires health facilities that receive medicare/medicaid funds from the state to report uninsured people.

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 10:48 AM
2% just isn't enough to make much a difference. most people who make the $50k and more have employer healthcare that they pay part of. My part is already in excess of $1k annual. My employers part is in excess of $5k annual.

Agloco
06-28-2012, 10:50 AM

solution:

I agree about the costs. They are outrageous.

I disagree with the solution though, unless salaries are kept in line with what they are now. The Mayo Clinic uses this model and it works fairly well. The downside, is that it takes quite a long time to get an appointment to see their physicians (the workload is also reduced). Granted, they are supported by numerous endowments, etc.

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 10:50 AM
and you will be taxed in 2014.
If my taxes increase of this, I will really be pissed. I already pay out for insurance.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Why would they need to report to the government? The government will already know.

How? Honest quesiton, I'm really not sure how the government is going to track who has insurance and who doesn't.

DarrinS
06-28-2012, 10:52 AM
I wonder if Chris Matthews still stands by this comment he made the other day?

Does anyone wonder like I do what this Supreme Court – the one personified by Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas — would have done with the landmark decisions in the post-World War II era. I wonder if this court would have backed desegregation in the Brown case. I doubt this pack of conservatives, which includes Chief Justice John Roberts, Sam Alito and Anthony Kennedy, would have voted to knock down “separate but equal” in the 1950s.

I doubt this group would have removed organized prayer from public schools back in the 1960s – that decision that ignited the moral majority.

I doubt that this court would have recognized a woman’s right to decide on an abortion in the 1970s.

Let me proffer a tougher judgment: would this court – voting as it does today – have upheld the 1964 Civil Rights Bill, which declared it illegal to refuse access to someone because of race to a restaurant, hotel or a gas station restroom?

Would Scalia, Thomas, Kennedy and Alito have approved such a decision, or would they have joined the dissent? Well, maybe Kennedy would have.

The fact is that we have the most conservative court since the early 1930s, and maybe more conservative than that. These justices, led by Scalia, believe in original intent. They want to judge cases the way the Founding Fathers would. Well, the Founding Fathers – need I remind us all – wrote slavery into the Constitution. It took a Civil War and the 13th Amendment to get it out.

clambake
06-28-2012, 10:55 AM

maybe. though you're probably the only one who heard it.

2centsworth
06-28-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm proud of the court. A non-partisan decision. Calling the mandate a tax brings clarity. Nothing in this world is free. Expect that tax to be 2400 per year in no time.

TeyshaBlue
06-28-2012, 10:57 AM
LOL, you think I'm a Republican and SnakeBoy thinks I'm a Democrat.

I think that means I'm exactly where I need to be.

bots are inherently binary.:lol

MannyIsGod
06-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Don't think he is reaching at all.

This system creates a situation where every person in America legally pays for Health Care in one way or another, and illegal aliens don't.

Paying the tax is not paying for healthcare.

DarrinS
06-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Tweet from DNC executive director, Patrick Gaspard

classy

http://static01.mediaite.com/med/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/gaspard.jpg

mercos
06-28-2012, 11:01 AM
While I don't like the mandate (I'd prefer single payer) the ruling is logical. I've thought for quite some time that the law's biggest legal mistake was not calling the fine a tax, because that's what it is. It's an emergency room tax. Buying insurance gets you an exemption. Pretty simple concept. The reasons for not calling it that are obviously political, as taxes are the devil in politics, unless they are for rich people. Surprisingly, the Supreme Court looked through the smoke and mirrors and interpreted the law for what it was. I am glad they specifically said the commerce clause does not permit the mandate, as that could have opened pandora's box. Good day for President Obama, and all the people that benefit from the ACA.

boutons_deux
06-28-2012, 11:03 AM

the 4 Repug/VRWC JINO extemist Repug hacks went solidly as predicted, so Matthews was right on those 4.

Kennedy was a swinger.

My guess is that umpire Roberts just might have thought he better, for his place in history as "the Roberts court", call this ball in favor of Human-Americans and progress of American civilization.

MannyIsGod
I think you guys are really overestimating the systems ability to track undocumented people through further documentation when every instance of this type of situation already in place doesn't.

Wild Cobra
That's probably what will happen. They system will probably stay the same, with the insured paying for the uninsured, and our rates not decreasing. Like all dedicated funds, congress will spend it where ever they please.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Tweet from DNC executive director, Patrick Gaspard

classy

http://static01.mediaite.com/med/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/gaspard.jpg

Hahahahahahahhaha your butt hurt is so high. He's talking directly to you, bitch.

scott
06-28-2012, 11:05 AM

Yes, it precisely is. It is funding the payments that will be made on your behalf when you use the emergency room without insurance.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Of course, but that's kind of where I'm going.

Perhaps I'm the only one who feels this way (and this is likely better suited for its own thread), but I think it stresses the need for serious immigration reform.

The bottom line, is that so long as relative quality of life differences exist between nations, you will NEVER put a stop to immigration. The idea that you can is naive. One of the basic elements of human nature is the animal instinct to survive and seek out the best living situation possible.

My person opinion is that EVERY HUMAN BEING should have the right to try to do best for themselves and their families. If you were a poor Mexican, you'd be trying your damnedest to get here too.

The idea that we already have a system by which immigrants can come here legally is laughable. For starters, there are quotas in place which by default create the incentive for people to bypass the system in order seek a better life for themselves, the same goes with work permits and visas.

Call it a Guest Worker program, or whatever you want, but we need a system by which people can come to this country without a path to citizenship but still pay taxes. Any other immigration solution is a waste of time.

I totally agree and am on record in here as saying the same thing.

scott
06-28-2012, 11:06 AM
I've thought for quite some time that the law's biggest legal mistake was not calling the fine a tax, because that's what it is. It's an emergency room tax. Buying insurance gets you an exemption. Pretty simple concept.

This is exactly correct.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2012, 11:06 AM
How? Honest quesiton, I'm really not sure how the government is going to track who has insurance and who doesn't.
If they rely on hospitals then they're not going to get much info since most people don't visit a hospital already.

scott
06-28-2012, 11:07 AM
I totally agree and am on record in here as saying the same thing.

High fives!

ChumpDumper
06-28-2012, 11:07 AM
I wonder if Chris Matthews still stands by this comment he made the other day?Explain to us why he wouldn't.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Yes, it precisely is. It is funding the payments that will be made on your behalf when you use the emergency room without insurance.

I feel as though if I you disagree with me on this point I'm probably wrong so I'll go with what you're saying.

TheMACHINE
06-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Is this really the biggest tax increase ever?

TheMACHINE
06-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Also...is the $400 in addition to my normal insurance?

scott
06-28-2012, 11:11 AM
I feel as though if I you disagree with me on this point I'm probably wrong so I'll go with what you're saying.

LOL... I'm filled with this... sudden... sense of power.

I like it.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Also...is the $400 in addition to my normal insurance?

Nope. You pay $400 and you don't have to buy insurance. Get cancer and insurance companies have to sell you insurance at the price they charge everyone else and then they have to pay the 100s of thousands for your treatment.

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Obama care...

The biggest tax increase in modern US history...

News at 11...

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Any tax experts out there?

What do you guys think will happen. If this is to actually be a tax, then will we all be taxed? Will what we already pay who have employer insurance become a tax deduction subject to change at the whim of politicians?

Ouch...

I see a loss of future income...

Das Texan
06-28-2012, 11:17 AM
I'll take health insurance that covers all shit for 2% of my income. Sign me the fuck up.

If this doesnt sound like a steal of a deal then you are in reality a fucking idiot or really dont give a flying fuck about your health.

scott
06-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Obama care...

The biggest tax increase in modern US history...

News at 11...

By what measure? You have 30 seconds on the clock, please keep in mind you are competing against Ronald Reagan's 1.82% of GDP in 1982 and increases exceeding 5% of GDP during WWII.

GO!

coyotes_geek
If they rely on hospitals then they're not going to get much info since most people don't visit a hospital already.

The hospitals aren't going to make the list but they are going to be very interested in how they're going to get paid to treat someone. They'll need to know whether they're sending a bill to your insurance company or if they're sending a bill to whatever government office is going to handle reimbursments from the tax pool that uninsured citizens are paying into. There's no way to go through that exercise without noticing that someone isn't on either list.

Wild Cobra
I'll take health insurance that covers all shit for 2% of my income. Sign me the fuck up.

If this doesnt sound like a steal of a deal then you are in reality a fucking idiot or really dont give a flying fuck about your health.
Maybe it was in the plans all along. SS was reduced from 6.2% to 4.2%. When they increase it back to 6.2%, will they say we are all paying for it now?

scott
06-28-2012, 11:20 AM

What do you guys think will happen. If this is to actually be a tax, then will we all be taxed? Will what we already pay who have employer insurance become a tax deduction subject to change at the whim of politicians?

Ouch...

LOL, you are a moron. The Supreme Court didn't say they need to change it to be a tax, they said the Taxing Authority of Congress allows the mandate in the way the ACA lays it out.

Das Texan
06-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Maybe it was in the plans all along. SS was reduced from 6.2% to 4.2%. When they increase it back to 6.2%, will they say we are all paying for it now?

fine with me tbh.

everyone pays the same. cost of doing business as a citizen of the USA. Available to all citizens regardless of social standing. Sounds like a winning deal to me.

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 11:24 AM
LOL, you are a moron. The Supreme Court didn't say they need to change it to be a tax, they said the Taxing Authority of Congress allows the mandate in the way the ACA lays it out.
Just the same.

Obama lied. It is a tax.

How about getting to the point of my question instead of nit picking?

scott
06-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Just the same.

Obama lied. It is a tax.

There is no point to your question, because it has no basis in the reality of what is actually happening. I don't bother getting to the point of questions that are, and I apologize for using technical jargon here, fucking stupid.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Just the same.

Obama lied. It is a tax.

What is your point?

You made a claim and failed to back it up in any way whatsoever.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2012, 11:26 AM
LOL... I'm filled with this... sudden... sense of power.

I like it.

Just on economics, bitch.

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Wow...

A lot of people here:

Wild Cobra, MannyIsGod, ElNono, coyotes_geek, Das Texan, ChumpDumper, CosmicCowboy, FromWayDowntown, rascal, leemajors, boutons_deux, TheMACHINE, George Gervin's Afro, Dr Spur, ducks, DarrinS, mercos, 2centsworth, xeromass, Agloco, cherylsteele, Spurminator

Aren't most of you at work?

clambake
06-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Wow...

A lot of people here:

i am, but i don't really think of it as work.

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 11:27 AM
What is your point?

You made a claim and failed to back it up in any way whatsoever.

The point of my question is "how will we be taxed." No need to focus on what you can nitpick, is there? Is it really necessary to find fault in people?

MannyIsGod
06-28-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm in calc 3. Its boring and easy.

CosmicCowboy

Ouch...

What they will do is artificially make the "pool" insurance cheaper than private insurance. The law says if you drop your existing insurance policy you can't move to a different company, you have to go into the "pool". They will gradually convert everyone to the pool (with the 50% that currently don't pay income taxes still getting coverage in the pool) and then raise taxes on those that pay taxes to cover the REAL cost of coverage. It's the first ugly step towards single payer.

TheMACHINE
will this $400 really cover everything? Sounds like it'll probably get even higher in the short future...then again...im no tax expert.

scott
06-28-2012, 11:30 AM
The point of my question is "how will we be taxed." No need to focus on what you can nitpick, is there? Is it really necessary to find fault in people?

The answer to your question is laid out in the ACA, and has been answered in this thread.

If you don't have insurance you will pay a tax/fee/fine/royalty/penance/tribute of $95 in 2014, 2% of income or $395 in 2015, or 2.5% or $695 in 2016.

If you do have insurance, then you pay no tax/fee/fine/royalty/penance/tribute.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 11:30 AM

I'm working, tbh

scott
06-28-2012, 11:31 AM
will this $400 really cover everything? Sounds like it'll probably get even higher in the short future...then again...im no tax expert.

No. It covers NOTHING other than that you won't be denied care at an emergency room if you show up without insurance. You'll still be presented with a bill at the emergency room, and you'll still get dinged on your credit when you don't pay it. But, you'll still be alive.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 11:33 AM
No. It covers NOTHING other than that you won't be denied care at an emergency room if you show up without insurance. You'll still be presented with a bill at the emergency room, and you'll still get dinged on your credit when you don't pay it. But, you'll still be alive.

Can you really be denied care at an emergency room even if you don't pay? I would suspect that you do not get denied care, but you do incur in tax evasion if you don't pay your tax bill.

Das Texan
06-28-2012, 11:35 AM

which is why i'd sadly have to keep my piece of shit insurance coverage. too bad this doesnt actually accomplish anything in regards to the rising cost of health care.

TheMACHINE
06-28-2012, 11:35 AM
ok so let me get this straight...for people who have insurance already, this does not affect them? Only those who dont have insurance gets affected cuz they have to pay $400?

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Can you really be denied care at an emergency room even if you don't pay? I would suspect that you do not get denied care, but you do incur in tax evasion if you don't pay your tax bill.

No one is ever denied treatment. Most of the tab for the unpaid treatment is currently covered by higher charges to insured patients and local taxes.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 11:39 AM
No one is ever denied treatment. Most of the tab for the unpaid treatment is currently covered by higher charges to insured patients and local taxes.

I know you don't right now, and I suspect that's not changing, although I'm not informed enough to know if this law applies any changes on that respect.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 11:40 AM
ok so let me get this straight...for people who have insurance already, this does not affect them? Only those who dont have insurance gets affected cuz they have to pay $400?

Insured peoples premiums will go up at least 20% to cover the cost of the insurance companies having to accept pre-existing conditions from the ones that were just paying the $400 fee and not buying insurance. Instead of paying the $10,000 for your wife to have a baby, just wait till the third trimester, buy her insurance for $400 a month and then cancel it after the baby is born and the insurance company pays the $10,000.

baseline bum
06-28-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm in calc 3. Its boring and easy.

It'll get more fun when you get to Stokes Theorem tbh.

TeyshaBlue
06-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Just on economics, bitch.

His beer IQ is noteworthy, n00b!

ElNono
06-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Insured peoples premiums will go up at least 20% to cover the cost of the insurance companies having to accept pre-existing conditions from the ones that were just paying the $400 fee and not buying insurance. Instead of paying the $10,000 for your wife to have a baby, just wait till the third trimester, buy her insurance for $400 a month and then cancel it after the baby is born and the insurance company pays the $10,000.

Where do you buy insurance for $400? I've been looking all around here and there's nothing for under $1000 that doesn't have a $10K deductible... And I suspect that's going up...

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Seems to me, one way or another, they will have to raise taxes. And by no small amount.

TheMACHINE
06-28-2012, 11:46 AM
i think whats concerning is not really even the taxes or obamacare...probably the fact that the government is forcing people to actually purchase something.

scott

That is debatable.

Not saying you are necessarily wrong (because I haven't done the research) but it's debatable.

There are factors of this law that will create downward pressure on premiums, and factors which create upward pressure.

TeyshaBlue
Where do you buy insurance for $400? I've been looking all around here and there's nothing for under $1000 that doesn't have a $10K deductible... And I suspect that's going up...

It's not buying insurance, per se. It's taking the $400 tax hit for not having insurance. CC's scenario doesn't make sense if you're equating the tax to an actual premium.

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm working, tbh
I wonder how many places lose work productivity, and by how much, with people surfing instead of working...

TeyshaBlue
It's not like the mother in the scenario can cancel the tax after delivery.

ElNono
BTW, the PCIP monthly premium here (which is subsidized) is in the $600/mo range...

TeyshaBlue
I wonder how many places lose work productivity, and by how much, with people surfing instead of working...

I wonder why you would ask such an asinine question in a discussion of healthcare costs.

Drachen
06-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Seems to me, one way or another, they will have to raise taxes. And by no small amount.

You do know that we already pay for the uninsured right now, right? This is without those uninsured paying even 400 a year.

TeyshaBlue
06-28-2012, 11:49 AM
BTW, the PCIP monthly premium here (which is subsidized) is in the $600/mo range...

Mine too. But since I'm hitting the insurance company for about $173k/year for meds, I'm not bitching about it too much.

ElNono

Well, I'm actually a part-owner, so it's in my best interest work gets done. And it is getting done.

MannyIsGod
I wonder how much productivity is lost be hiring WC.

scott

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+much+productivity+is+lost+to+web+surfing

scott
06-28-2012, 11:50 AM
I wonder how much productivity is lost be hiring WC.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=can+idiots+do+real+work%3F

Drachen
06-28-2012, 11:50 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+much+productivity+is+lost+to+web+surfing

I love that site.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Mine too. But since I'm hitting the insurance company for about $173k/year for meds, I'm not bitching about it too much.

We're in the $2K/year range for doctor expenses... basically, can't afford even the subsidized PCIP...

TeyshaBlue

omfg:lmao

ChumpDumper
I wonder how many places lose work productivity, and by how much, with people surfing instead of working...You watch DVD box sets at work.

Drachen

OK, you can't do that! I am surfing at work and I was just looked at strangely as I literally LOLed

ElNono

:lol

TheMACHINE
06-28-2012, 11:53 AM
i too am self employed and am working.

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 11:55 AM
The answer to your question is laid out in the ACA, and has been answered in this thread.

If you don't have insurance you will pay a tax/fee/fine/royalty/penance/tribute of $95 in 2014, 2% of income or $395 in 2015, or 2.5% or $695 in 2016.

If you do have insurance, then you pay no tax/fee/fine/royalty/penance/tribute.
That addresses the amount. It doesn't address the how.

For example.

Will employers have to recalculate and add a line to their withholding? It can become a tricky thing. Part time during the year, more than one job, etc. The simplest way for employers may be to withhold from everyone, and require them to get it back at the end of the year. Then it complicates the tax system more for us.

clambake
06-28-2012, 11:56 AM

For example.

Will employers have to recalculate and add a line to their withholding? It can become a tricky thing. Part time during the year, more than one job, etc. The simplest way for employers may be to withhold from everyone, and require them to get it back at the end of the year. Then it complicates the tax system more for us.

jesus, man

Drachen
06-28-2012, 11:57 AM

For example.

Wow really??? THIS is what you are going to bitch about? There is a whole forest behind that twig of a tree.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 11:59 AM
:lmao

boutons_deux
06-28-2012, 11:59 AM
easiest would be withhold public health insurance option from everybody's income (earned and unearned, no cap) to pay for a non-profit public health insurance.

That would still allow anybody to go buy for-profit insurance for "better" treatment and to cover non-covered medical expenses, just like now where Medicare people can buy additional for-profit insurance.

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 12:00 PM
You watch DVD box sets at work.
That's because I am only needed when operational equipment has a failure. Trust me, I have a fair share of work that gets done.

LOL...

I heard an operator complain to the plant manager the other day, that our section does so little work. He told her that he likes it when we are sitting down. That means all his equipment is running.

MannyIsGod
Lol

Wild Cobra
Wow really??? THIS is what you are going to bitch about? There is a whole forest behind that twig of a tree.
It is a valid curiosity.

TheMACHINE
06-28-2012, 12:02 PM
one of my buddies on FB wrote this as a response to someone who likes obamacare cuz itll make insurance more afordable and make americans healthier:

"Well, im pretty sure our insurance premiums are going to skyrocket to cover for those who will be paying the "tax" and and will be going to see the doctor more often. So yes, i guess you can say better health for Americans (although programs like this usually lead to loss of jobs and innovation ) but definately not going to be more affordable."

is she right?

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Well, I'm actually a part-owner, so it's in my best interest work gets done. And it is getting done.

LOL...

Same person? Accidental dual posting?

ChumpDumper
06-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Makes sense that WC makes a livelihood off of failure.

scott
06-28-2012, 12:04 PM
one of my buddies on FB wrote this as a response to someone who likes obamacare cuz itll make insurance more afordable and make americans healthier:

"Well, im pretty sure our insurance premiums are going to skyrocket to cover for those who will be paying the "tax" and and will be going to see the doctor more often. So yes, i guess you can say better health for Americans (although programs like this usually lead to loss of jobs and innovation ) but definately not going to be more affordable."

is she right?

Premiums might go up, they might even skyrocket, but it won't be for those reasons.

TheMACHINE
06-28-2012, 12:05 PM
LOL...

whatcha talking about?

ElNono
LOL...

Don't know TheMachine, tbh

clambake
Makes sense that WC makes a livelihood off of failure.

i thought it was hilarious how he said it's always the same parts breaking.

Drachen
06-28-2012, 12:06 PM

is she right?

The biggest difference between the uninsured now and the uninsured after this starts is the tax.

Before: uninsured goes to ER because they are sick, they get treated/billed/don't pay (costs get passed on to the insured or tax payer)

After: uninsured goes to ER because they are sick, they get treated/billed/don't pay (costs get passed on to the insured or tax payer - $400 (or whatever amount) that the uninsured paid.)

TheMACHINE
06-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Premiums might go up, they might even skyrocket, but it won't be for those reasons.

for what reasons? how bout the job loss part and innovation?

TheMACHINE
06-28-2012, 12:08 PM
The biggest difference between the uninsured now and the uninsured after this starts is the tax.

Before: uninsured goes to ER because they are sick, they get treated/billed/don't pay (costs get passed on to the insured or tax payer)

After: uninsured goes to ER because they are sick, they get treated/billed/don't pay (costs get passed on to the insured or tax payer - $400 (or whatever amount) that the uninsured paid.)

but this will affect the insured cuz of higher premiums right? will this affect which doctors we can see or what inurance company we can use?

scott
06-28-2012, 12:11 PM
for what reasons? how bout the job loss part and innovation?

"Well, im pretty sure our insurance premiums are going to skyrocket to cover for those who will be paying the "tax" and and will be going to see the doctor more often"

Those reasons.

And the second part is debatable.

Drachen
06-28-2012, 12:11 PM
but this will affect the insured cuz of higher premiums right? will this affect which doctors we can see or what inurance company we can use?

We already pay higher premiums to cover the ~46 million uninsured. This will lessen the amount of uninsured and for those who stay uninsured, they have to pay SOME money into the system.

scott
06-28-2012, 12:13 PM

maybe. no.

Drachen
06-28-2012, 12:13 PM
"Well, im pretty sure our insurance premiums are going to skyrocket to cover for those who will be paying the "tax" and and will be going to see the doctor more often"

Those reasons.

And the second part is debatable.

Why would those paying the tax go to see the doctor more often? They still won't have insurance, so they will need to pay full price for the Dr. visit, just like today.

scott
06-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Why would those paying the tax go to see the doctor more often? They still won't have insurance, so they will need to pay full price for the Dr. visit, just like today.

^^Yep.

I was saying if Premiums go up, it won't be because people paying the tax are going to the doctor more.

Wild Cobra
06-28-2012, 12:15 PM
We already pay higher premiums to cover the ~46 million uninsured. This will lessen the amount of uninsured and for those who stay uninsured, they have to pay SOME money into the system.
Still, being covered will likely mean they will see the doctors for more reasons and more often.

I believe one reason insurance is so expensive, is that the copays are not large enough in some plans. Some plans have a $0 copay, which leads to seeing a doctor for any silly thing.

Drachen
06-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Still, being covered will likely mean they will see the doctors for more reasons and more often.

I believe one reason insurance is so expensive, is that the copays are not large enough in some plans. Some plans have a $0 copay, which leads to seeing a doctor for any silly thing.

which is better? a ~100 doctor visit, or a ~2000 ER visit every year?

clambake

holy shit. you don't know jack shit about health coverage.

coyotes_geek

There's a large group of people who will have insurance provided for them, right? Won't those people be more inclined to go to the doctor more than they were going to the ER since they're now insured on someone else's dime?

TheMACHINE
06-28-2012, 12:18 PM
well..not to stereotype...but alot of the poor people dont neccesarily take care of themselves...they dont have gym memberships...probably eat fast food more than normal....so i think they will probably see the doctors more often.

Drachen
06-28-2012, 12:19 PM
well..not to stereotype...but alot of the poor people dont neccesarily take care of themselves...they dont have gym memberships...probably eat fast food more than normal....so i think they will probably see the doctors more often.

Poor people have health insurance. It is called Medicaid. When I sold health insurance 7 years ago the fastest growing portion of uninsured were those individuals making between 65 and 85K

Clipper Nation
06-28-2012, 12:19 PM
:lol People actually expecting crooks to repeal crook laws

At least the government can no longer use the Commerce Clause to justify ridiculous taxation, tbh...

clambake
06-28-2012, 12:20 PM
There's a large group of people who will have insurance provided for them, right? Won't those people be more inclined to go to the doctor more than they were going to the ER since they're now insured on someone else's dime?

they'd have to pay for the office visit.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 12:20 PM
We aren't just talking about emergency room access. Add 30 million federally subsidized people to the "insured" pool and SOMEBODY is damn well going to pay for it and it's sure not going to be the newly insured.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 12:22 PM
they'd have to pay for the office visit.

Office visits wouldn't be covered by the insurance they're given??? Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of giving them insurance in the first place?

BlairForceDejuan
06-28-2012, 12:23 PM
hahah this fucking joke of a country

TheMACHINE
06-28-2012, 12:24 PM
theyll probably still pay a co-pay

clambake
06-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Office visits wouldn't be covered by the insurance they're given??? Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of giving them insurance in the first place?

does your insurance cover office visits? do you have a copay? do you think doctors in private practice will choose not to charge their office visit?

DarrinS
06-28-2012, 12:27 PM
"Both of us want to provide health care to all Americans. There’s a slight difference, and her plan is a good one. But, she mandates that everybody buy health care. She’d have the government force every individual to buy insurance and I don’t have such a mandate because I don’t think the problem is that people don’t want health insurance, it’s that they can’t afford it. So, I focus more on lowering costs. This is a modest difference. But, it’s one that she’s tried to elevate, arguing that because I don’t force people to buy health care that I’m not insuring everybody. Well, if things were that easy, I could mandate everybody to buy a house, and that would solve the problem of homelessness. It doesn’t.

TheMACHINE
06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
It's not a tax!

bg-ofjXrXio

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
We aren't just talking about emergency room access. Add 30 million federally subsidized people to the "insured" pool and SOMEBODY is damn well going to pay for it and it's sure not going to be the newly insured.

And this is why the ACA won't do anything to reduce premiums that the currently insured are already paying. Before we just had the hospitals overcharging insurance companies to cover the cost of the uninsured, now the insurance companies have to pay taxes to cover the costs of the insurance we're going to give away, as well as the added cost to fund an inefficient federal bureaucracy to administer it all.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Presidents don't write legislation...

scott
06-28-2012, 12:31 PM
And this is why the ACA won't do anything to reduce premiums that the currently insured are already paying. Before we just had the hospitals overcharging insurance companies to cover the cost of the uninsured, now the insurance companies have to pay taxes to cover the costs of the insurance we're going to give away, as well as the added cost to fund an inefficient federal bureaucracy to administer it all.

I disagree with that. There are certain thing, like exchanges across state lines, that will put downward pressure on premiums. There are provisions that are downward pressure points and some that are upward pressure points.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 12:32 PM
that said, I don't like this healthcare law, because I think we've basically forced the middle-men (insurance co's), which I don't think it's necessary... but this is probably what's going to take to eventually get to any meaningful reform...

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 12:33 PM
does your insurance cover office visits? do you have a copay? do you think doctors in private practice will choose not to charge their office visit?

The copay is just a fraction of the cost of the office visit. Paying a copay doesn't equal paying for the office visit.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 12:33 PM
An interesting take from the comments on scotusblog:

Taxation and regulation under the health care Act
Chief Justice Roberts’ decision that sustains the individual mandate under the taxing power of the United States is filled with twists and turns that requires some words of protest. In the section of his opinion that deals with the Commerce Power, the Chief Justice accepts the view that Congress cannot regulate individuals unless and until they engage in some form of economic activity. He therefore accepts in full the arguments against the expanded reading of the Commerce Clause that were made by conservative commentators. He did so, as is his habit, without stopping a moment to analyze the enormous expansion in federal power that was ratified in Wickard v. Filburn, which authorized Congress to regulate under the Commerce Clause of the amount of wheat that a farmer could produce for home consumption. Big government, we shall have, but not that big, after all.

But when it comes to the taxing power all bets are off. Here the key statement that he makes is this: “it makes going without insurance just another thing the Government taxes, like buying gasoline or earning income.” With all respect, the point is little short of absurd. The earlier portion of the Chief Justice’s opinion noted the huge expansion in federal power that could arise if the government were permitted to regulate various forms of inactivity. What possible argument then could be put forward to say that the same risks do not apply to the expansion of the taxing authority to those same forms of inactivity, in ways that it has never been exercised before. The two examples that the Chief Justice gives are the tax on buying gasoline or earning income. Both of those are obvious activities that have long been regarded as acceptable bases for taxation. But not buying health insurance is not an activity. I am not aware of any tax imposed on individuals for not buying gasoline and not earning income, or not taking a bath or not working in a home office. To allow this to stand as a tax is to accept the same kind of absurdity that was rejected in connection with the taxing power. Intellectually shabby, to say the least.

Drachen
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Ok, I am going to the coast now. Yall have fun with this.

clambake
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
The copay is just a fraction of the cost of the office visit. Paying a copay doesn't equal paying for the office visit.

my point is that if they visit a doctor (more often that some contend) they will be out of pocket where they weren't before.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 12:37 PM

Have fun, dude...

johnsmith
06-28-2012, 12:38 PM
I bet the middle class gets fucked from this tbh.

I know next to nothing about obamacare, but I know that anything the United States government does that changes stuff, fucks the middle class.

GO USA!

clambake
06-28-2012, 12:40 PM

check for BP logos on your catch! just kidding

ElNono
06-28-2012, 12:41 PM
the middle class certainly will feel this the most, IMO... they make enough not to qualify for much of the subsidies, but not enough to purchase anything but very high deductible insurance... which if you don't max out over a year, you're basically paying out of pocket...

cheguevara
06-28-2012, 12:52 PM
:lmao welfare state

:lmao corporate welfare state

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 01:04 PM
I disagree with that. There are certain thing, like exchanges across state lines, that will put downward pressure on premiums. There are provisions that are downward pressure points and some that are upward pressure points.

I think the exchanges would have helped had the bill not added a bunch of requirements that make most of the insurance plans look the same. Seems to me like we went from more products in fewer stores to fewer products in more stores.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 01:07 PM
my point is that if they visit a doctor (more often that some contend) they will be out of pocket where they weren't before.

Understand. My counterpoint is that people will be more inclined to make additional trips to the doctor if it's only going to cost them a $20 copay everytime they go as opposed to $200 for the full cost of the visit.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2012, 01:11 PM
I am not aware of any tax imposed on individuals for not buying gasoline and not earning income, or not taking a bath or not working in a home office.There is a tax on not living anymore.

boutons_deux
06-28-2012, 01:17 PM
I bet the middle class gets fucked from this tbh.

I know next to nothing about obamacare, but I know that anything the United States government does that changes stuff, fucks the middle class.

GO USA!

not as much as the UCA, health and financial sectors fuck the middle class.

As long as it can be called "free market" and "capitalism", You People don't object to getting fucked.

Jacob1983
06-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Isn't a large portion of the debt a result of America's lovefest with entitlement programs?

clambake
06-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Understand. My counterpoint is that people will be more inclined to make additional trips to the doctor if it's only going to cost them a $20 copay everytime they go as opposed to $200 for the full cost of the visit.

if they pay for insurance they will have $0 to whatever copay their coverage allows.

if they don't get insurance and pay the fine, they will be responsible for paying their office visit.

i haven't seen anything that suggest paying the fine gets you office visit coverage. did i miss something?

TeyshaBlue
06-28-2012, 01:34 PM
if they pay for insurance they will have $0 to whatever copay their coverage allows.

if they don't get insurance and pay the fine, they will be responsible for paying their office visit.

i haven't seen anything that suggest paying the fine gets you office visit coverage. did i miss something?

Nope. That's pretty much it. Tax <> Insurance policy.

clambake
06-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Nope. That's pretty much it. Tax <> Insurance policy.

now, could you imagine doctors that would wave their office fees for these people?

that would certainly take the pressure off abortion clinics.

boutons_deux
06-28-2012, 01:42 PM
the penalty is way too low. It should be equal to what the market price for a healthy person.

clambake
06-28-2012, 01:45 PM
the penalty is way too low.

true

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 01:47 PM

I see where we got crossed up. You're talking about people with no insurance who are paying the fine and I'm talking about people who are going to be given insurance that they don't have to pay for.

clambake
06-28-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm talking about people who are going to be given insurance that they don't have to pay for.

wait, what?

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 02:00 PM
wait, what?

Certain low income folks are going to get refundable tax credits to buy their insurance with.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Isn't a large portion of the debt a result of America's lovefest with entitlement programs?

More like politicians lovefest with power...

PublicOption
06-28-2012, 02:02 PM
This Thomas/money thing is funny. I wonder if any of the resident liberals here looked up the facts over that. I'm just waiting for them to make fools of themselves more than ShazBot already has.

can't have a federal income tax, if you think obamacare is unconstitutional....think about it.

clambake
06-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Certain low income folks are going to get refundable tax credits to buy their insurance with.

keep going. where's the qualifications on that? what are the parameters?

PublicOption
06-28-2012, 02:04 PM
next stop......................break up the insurance monopolies.

6 insurance companies for 300 million people=monopoly

think about it.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 02:07 PM

I'm not sure why you are busting his balls on this. It's common knowledge and has always been a talking point in support of the plan.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 02:08 PM

Link below should answer all your questions about this.

http://healthreformgps.org/resources/tax-subsidies-for-individuals-and-families-who-purchase-coverage-through-state-health-insurance-exchanges/

clambake
06-28-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure why you are busting his balls on this. It's common knowledge and has always been a talking point in support of the plan.

i'm not in any way trying to bust his balls. i want to know what the parameters are for those getting tax refunded/subsidized health insurance.

have you seen it?

clambake
06-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Link below should answer all your questions about this.

http://healthreformgps.org/resources/tax-subsidies-for-individuals-and-families-who-purchase-coverage-through-state-health-insurance-exchanges/

i'll be reading now.

clambake
06-28-2012, 02:20 PM
gotta spend more time on that. the ambiguity on that is stifling!

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 02:24 PM
gotta spend more time on that. the ambiguity on that is stifling!

:)

Precisely why I linked it instead of trying to explain it.

clambake
06-28-2012, 02:25 PM
:)

we could have both died if you tried to do that. :lol

TeyshaBlue
06-28-2012, 02:25 PM

The depth thing again?:lol

clambake
06-28-2012, 02:26 PM

i need a longer snorkel.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 02:29 PM
we could have both died if you tried to do that. :lol

Definitely. I read just enough to determine that it was talking about what I thought it was talking about, and even that made my head hurt.

:lol I'm definitely trying to stay a little closer to shore with this one.

boutons_deux
06-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Romney Blasts Supreme Court, Calling Healthcare Act ‘Worst Idea I Ever Had’

Just minutes after the Supreme Court upheld President Obama’s Affordable Care Act, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney slammed the Court, calling the law “the worst idea I ever had.”

“I vow to repeal this law on my first day in office,” he told a crowd at a campaign rally. “Until then, I will work tirelessly to make people forget that I used to totally love it.”

At the White House, President Obama greeted the news of the Court’s decision in muted fashion: “I haven’t been this pumped since I smoked bin Laden.”

Dissenters in the 5-4 decision included Justice Antonin Scalia, who wrote, “The only medical procedures the government should pay for are forced transvaginal ultrasounds and exorcisms.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell also had harsh words for the healthcare law, telling reporters, “Under Obamacare, you will be forced to marry a gay doctor.”

http://www.borowitzreport.com/

Th'Pusher
06-28-2012, 03:20 PM
So if the republicans win the senate and the WH and keep the house, can they repeal the ACA or can the dems filibuster to prevent it from being repealed (assuming repups don't have 60 in the senate which is obviously not happening)?

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 03:47 PM
The more I look into this the crazier it gets. This thing is going to cost BILLIONS more than they projected because of people like me.

The biggie is going to be the insurance subsidies. Insurance is going to be subsidized for everyone making up to 4X the poverty level or $88,000. There is no way they can pay for them without raising income taxes substantially on those that are paying taxes.

From a selfish standpoint I guess I should be for it if if wasn't going to finish bankrupting the country.

I know that I am a small employer that currently pays 100% of insurance for employee and family, but with a high deductible. When this goes through I can drop their insurance, give them all $2 an hour raises and they will get lower deductible federally subsidized insurance than I can currently buy for the same out of pocket cost.

I'm a small enough company that the penalty won't apply to me and since I run my corporation to show zero profit the tax credit won't help. I can quit paying for insurance, let uncle sam pick up the tab for my employees and put $75,000 in my pocket after buying a personal policy for myself.

clambake
06-28-2012, 03:49 PM
The more I look into this the crazier it gets. This thing is going to cost BILLIONS more than they projected because of people like me.

The biggie is going to be the insurance subsidies. Insurance is going to be subsidized for everyone making up to 4X the poverty level or $88,000. There is no way they can pay for them without raising income taxes substantially on those that are paying taxes.

From a selfish standpoint I guess I should be for it if if wasn't going to finish bankrupting the country.

I know that I am a small employer that currently pays 100% of insurance for employee and family, but with a high deductible. When this goes through I can drop their insurance, give them all $2 an hour raises and they will get lower deductible federally subsidized insurance than I can currently buy for the same out of pocket cost.

I'm a small enough company that the penalty won't apply to me and since I run my corporation to show zero profit the tax credit won't help. I can quit paying for insurance, let uncle sam pick up the tab for my employees and put $75,000 in my pocket after buying a personal policy for myself.
gotta see how it plays out in 2014, but i hear ya.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 03:58 PM
So if the republicans win the senate and the WH and keep the house, can they repeal the ACA or can the dems filibuster to prevent it from being repealed (assuming repups don't have 60 in the senate which is obviously not happening)?

Twenty democratic senators are up for relection in 2014, so if the republicans were somehow able to pull off a Romney win I don't think they'd need to make it all the way to 60 to get past a filibuster. They'd probably be able to pick off some dems scared for their jobs. But the republicans would still need to get at least into the mid 50s this november and it's incredibly unlikely that's going to happen. Not to mention the obvious problem of Romney winning in the first place.

Th'Pusher
06-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Twenty democratic senators are up for relection in 2014, so if the republicans were somehow able to pull off a Romney win I don't think they'd need to make it all the way to 60 to get past a filibuster. They'd probably be able to pick off some dems scared for their jobs. But the republicans would still need to get at least into the mid 50s this november and it's incredibly unlikely that's going to happen. Not to mention the obvious problem of Romney winning in the first place.

Thanks

ElNono
06-28-2012, 04:09 PM
I predict the country won't go bankrupt over this...

Bold prediction, tbh

coyotes_geek
06-28-2012, 04:19 PM

I'd be curious to know what percentage of the country lives in a household that's under that 4x line. I'll bet you it's easily half, if not two thirds.

I don't think it will take too long after implementation for everyone to realize that the subsidies are going to need to get scaled back quite a bit. For this to survive in any form you'd have to scale back the subsidies and jack up the fines.

BlairForceDejuan
06-28-2012, 04:36 PM
I predict the country won't go bankrupt over this...

Bold prediction, tbh

Already is.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Already is.

When did the US default on it's debt? Oh, wait, it hasn't.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 05:17 PM
I don't think it will take too long after implementation for everyone to realize that the subsidies are going to need to get scaled back quite a bit. For this to survive in any form you'd have to scale back the subsidies and jack up the fines.

Or actually attack the cost of care...

TheMACHINE
06-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Does this guy make a good point?

" Well, as far as paying goes, as a nation we spend twice as much per person for healthcare and receive much worse care. Will this bill help alleviate that? I have no damn idea, single payer would do that, but this is a big question mark. I t...hink it might possibly help though, consider the following situation:

I don't have insurance, and when my appendix almost burst I had to go to the ER (three times, due to complications post surgery). I couldn't afford it, and got signed up to the state's MSI program (basically it's medicaid for low income people). They paid my bills, which wound up being about $50,000. That much money could have paid for a LOT of check-ups and regular visits. I have to think that if I had had regular healthcare and my operation had been done without any ER visits, it would ultimately have cost the tax payers way, way less.

So, cross your fingers that this thing is an effective piece of legislation that hasn't been mutilated too badly by political cat-fighting. The last thing small business owners like you and me need is to have yet another high cost. I wish places of employment had nothing to do with healthcare, and that we had a single payer system though. If that makes me a socialist, so be it. I can't wrap my head around how it will ever be moral or ethical to make money off of people's pain and suffering. And anyway, we have tons of "socialist" programs already: the police, firemen, the VA, etc.

Whatever happened to the American idea of taking all the best ideas from other countries and using them in a hybrid system to our benefit? Fusion, baby. Embrace it! :D"

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 05:29 PM
I'd be curious to know what percentage of the country lives in a household that's under that 4x line. I'll bet you it's easily half, if not two thirds.

The fine is actually close to the cost of buying insurance up to probably 2X the poverty level, because of all the subsidies. A family making $50,000 gross could actually end up paying $600 a year for health insurance. Obviously the other $10,000+ of cost is picked up by SOMEBODY...multiply this by millions and you start talking some serious jack.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Here's the subsidy calculator if you want to run some numbers:

http://healthreform.kff.org/SubsidyCalculator.aspx

ElNono
06-28-2012, 06:44 PM
A family making $50,000 gross could actually end up paying $600 a year for health insurance.

More like $3,300/year for a family of 4... or $800+ per person...

Capt Bringdown
06-28-2012, 06:45 PM
It’s a too-good-to-be true deal for the insurance companies.
A major “victory” for a President and his party who are deep into the pockets of said insurance companies.
Republicans get their stupid ideas turned into law and they get to pretend that they are pissed about it.
A win-win all around.

Except if you work for a living.

Capt Bringdown
06-28-2012, 08:34 PM
How is Obamacare going to reduce costs?
If it doesn’t reduce costs, Obamacare becomes a political sledgehammer that the Repugs and Demoncrats can use to bludgeon Social Security & Medicare.
Obamacare delivers more profits to our corporate masters, provides more ammunition for the Austerity wrecking crew, and serves a tidy propaganda purpose of killing the notion of health care for all.

Clipper Nation
06-29-2012, 11:58 AM
When did the US default on it's debt? Oh, wait, it hasn't.

So? Our dollar has lost 97% of its purchasing power since 1913 due to the Fed's money printing... that's the real reason we're broke, tbh...

ElNono
06-29-2012, 12:56 PM
So? Our dollar has lost 97% of its purchasing power since 1913 due to the Fed's money printing... that's the real reason we're broke, tbh...

So? Our country's production has grown way beyond 97% since 1913... we're not broke, nor under any major inflation... every currency has been devalued over a 100 year period.