PDA

View Full Version : BPA linked to Brain Tumors

InRareForm
06-28-2012, 12:51 AM
http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2012/06/bpa-linked-brain-tumor-first-time

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 12:56 AM
causes man boobs, feminizes you, and prostate cancer too

InRareForm
06-28-2012, 01:00 AM
link?

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 01:05 AM
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cancer/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100176179

Healthy eating may no longer be a matter of just what you eat and drink. It may also depend on what you buy, store, prepare, and heat those food and beverages in.

A growing body of scientific research has linked the weak estrogenic compound bisphenol-A (BPA) to a variety of health problems, such as infertility, prostate cancer, and breast cancer.

BPA is the main building block of polycarbonate plastic, a hard plastic widely used to make kitchen utensils, food storage containers, travel mugs, and water bottles. BPA is also a main component of the epoxy linings found in metal food and beverage cans.

The problem: Polycarbonate plastics can leach BPA into our food and beverages.

Heat, acid, alcohol, harsh detergents, age, and microwaving can also exacerbate the release of BPA, says Frederick vom Saal, a biology professor and BPA researcher at the University of Missouri.

Because their reproductive organs are still developing, fetuses, infants, and children are especially vulnerable to synthetic estrogens BPA. This means pregnant women and kids can benefit from reduced exposure to BPA. Reproductive-aged women may also want to be careful.

“From animal models, it appears that the period right after fertilization and before a woman even knows she’s pregnant, is the most sensitive time in development,” says Randy Jirtle, a Professor of Radiation Oncology at Duke University. “So if women are even thinking of becoming pregnant, they should consider limiting their exposure to BPA.”

While BPA may be impossible to completely eliminate it from your life, there are a few key steps you can take to reduce exposure.

Limit canned foods & beverages. The epoxy liners of metal food and beverage cans most likely contain BPA. Vom Saal especially recommends avoiding canned foods that are acid (tomatoes, tomato-based soups, citrus products, and acidic beverages like cokes) and canned alcoholic beverages, since acids and alcohols can exacerbate the leaching of BPA.

The good news: Many foods and beverages can be purchased in glass containers (think beer, olive oil, and tomato paste) or frozen (like vegetables).

Don’t store foods in plastic. Glass food storage containers are inert and there are plenty of wonderful Pyrex containers on the market. Just be sure to wash the lids, which are made of plastic, by hand.

Filter your drinking and cooking water. Since detectable levels of BPA have been found in the water, vom Saal recommends removing it using a reverse osmosis and carbon filter, which generally can be found for less than $200. “In the long run, it’s cheaper than buying bottled water, which isn’t tested for BPA,” he says.

Filter your shower and tub water. According to vom Saal, the relatively small BPA molecules can easily be absorbed through the skin. BPA can be removed from the water by adding ceramic filters to showerheads and tubs. Just be sure to change them regularly.

Don’t transport beverages in plastic mugs. Instead, opt for an unlined stainless steel travel mug. This is especially important when transporting hot beverages, like coffee or tea.

Limit use of hard plastic water bottles. Those colorful light-weight plastic bottles may be great for hiking, but unfortunately, they are made of polycarbonate plastic. For everyday use when a little extra weight isn’t an issue, choose a stainless steel water bottle, and make sure it’s unlined—some metal water bottles contain a plastic liner that may contain BPA.

Klean Kanteen makes an excellent series of unlined stainless steel water bottles

Minimize hard plastics in the kitchen. Hard plastic stirring spoons, pancake flippers, blenders, measuring cups, and colanders regularly come into contact with both food and heat. Fortunately, all of these can easily be replaced with wooden, metal, or glass alternatives.

Skip the water cooler. Those hard plastic five-gallon jugs that many companies use to provide their employees and customers with “pure” water are usually made of BPA-containing polycarbonate. Opt for tap water instead.

If You Must Use Plastic

Avoid using plastic storage containers for anything that contains acid ingredients, like tomatoes or citrus products.
Avoid putting any warm beverages or citrus products in plastic mugs or travel bottles.
Wait for foods to cool to room temperature before placing in plastic storage containers.
Transfer foods to ceramic or glass before placing in the microwave. Microwaving will break down the plastic, causing it to release BPA into the food.
Wash all plastic containers by hand. The harsher detergents and hotter temperature in the dishwasher will cause the plastic to break down more quickly.
Throw away any plastic food storage containers that are showing signs of age. If the plastic looks hazy or warped, feels “sticky,” or has any visible lines or cracks, it is beginning to break down and could be releasing even more BPA.
Choose plastics that have the recycling number 2 and 5. These are made out of far less reactive polypropylene and polyethylene.
Especially For Kids

Choose BPA-Free Baby Bottles. There are several alternatives to polycarbonate baby bottles. First, there’s the old-fashioned, inert glass baby bottle. If you prefer a plastic alternative, check out Born-Free’s new line of BPA-free plastic baby bottles.

As with any plastics, you should still avoid harsh detergents, dishwashers, and microwaves.

Choose BPA-Free Sippy Cups. Stainless steel sippy cups, like those by Klean Kanteen, are a great alternative to polycarbonate plastic sippy cups. Klean Kanteen also offers a BPA-free sippy-cup top adapter.

If you prefer a smaller, lighter-weight, totally plastic sippy cup, check out Born Free’s line of colorful, BPA-free sippy cups.

Again, it’s still wise to avoid exposing plastics to microwaves, harsh detergents, and dishwashers.

Limit Plastic Toys. Unfortunately, polycarbonate plastics are used to make toys, which young kids are so known for chewing on. Since chewing can break down the plastic and release BPA into a toddler’s mouth, minimizing plastic toys during the chewing stage is a good idea.

Especially for pregnant women

Here’s one more reason to keep taking that folic acid. Not only does it help prevent birth defects, it may also help protect a developing fetus from the effects of the BPA you’ll inevitably consume even if you take steps to reduce exposure.

“In pregnant mice, nutritional supplementation with folic acid helps protect fetuses against maternal BPA exposure,” Jirtle says. “We’re not sure if the same is true in humans, but since folic acid has other benefits for pregnant women, this could be just one more reason to continue with this nutritional supplementation.”

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 01:09 AM
http://mct.aacrjournals.org/content/5/12/3181.abstract

Bisphenol A facilitates bypass of androgen ablation therapy in prostate cancer
Yelena B. Wetherill1, Janet K. Hess-Wilson1, Clay E.S. Comstock1, Supriya A. Shah1, C. Ralph Buncher2, Larry Sallans3, Patrick A. Limbach3, Sandy Schwemberger4, George F. Babcock4 and Karen E. Knudsen156
+ Author Affiliations

1Department of Cell and Cancer Biology, 2Department of Environmental Health, 3Rieveschl Laboratories for Mass Spectrometry, Department of Chemistry, 4Department of Surgery/Shriners Hospital for Children, 5Center for Environmental Genetics, and 6University of Cincinnati Cancer Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio
Requests for reprints: Karen E. Knudsen, Department of Cell and Cancer Biology, Vontz Center for Molecular Studies, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 3125 Eden Avenue, ML 0521, Cincinnati, OH 45267-0521. Phone: 513-558-7371; Fax: 513-558-4454. E-mail: [email protected]
Abstract

Prostatic adenocarcinomas depend on androgen for growth and survival. First line treatment of disseminated disease exploits this dependence by specifically targeting androgen receptor function. Clinical evidence has shown that androgen receptor is reactivated in recurrent tumors despite the continuance of androgen deprivation therapy. Several factors have been shown to restore androgen receptor activity under these conditions, including somatic mutation of the androgen receptor ligand-binding domain. We have shown previously that select tumor-derived mutants of the androgen receptor are receptive to activation by bisphenol A (BPA), an endocrine-disrupting compound that is leached from polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resins into the human food supply. Moreover, we have shown that BPA can promote cell cycle progression in cultured prostate cancer cells under conditions of androgen deprivation. Here, we challenged the effect of BPA on the therapeutic response in a xenograft model system of prostate cancer containing the endogenous BPA-responsive AR-T877A mutant protein. We show that after androgen deprivation, BPA enhanced both cellular proliferation rates and tumor growth. These effects were mediated, at least in part, through androgen receptor activity, as prostate-specific antigen levels rose with accelerated kinetics in BPA-exposed animals. Thus, at levels relevant to human exposure, BPA can modulate tumor cell growth and advance biochemical recurrence in tumors expressing the AR-T877A mutation. [Mol Cancer Ther 2006;5(12):3181–90]

TE
06-28-2012, 01:33 AM
All the negatives to the human body associated with BPA predominantly derive from its disruptive antagonistic effects to the thyroid receptors. It's pretty disruptive over a long period as its concentrations accumulate from everyday exposure.

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 02:17 AM
yeah that's probably how everyone is getting hypothyroidism

InRareForm
06-28-2012, 10:52 AM
It would be terrible to get cancer... especially brain tumor.

But.. Problems regarding thyroid, aren't they easily corrected because of the medicine that mimics what the the thyroid does? The brain can't tell the difference and operates just as smoothly.

leemajors
06-28-2012, 11:46 AM

But.. Problems regarding thyroid, aren't they easily corrected because of the medicine that mimics what the the thyroid does? The brain can't tell the difference and operates just as smoothly.

hormone therapy can definitely help you lead a more stable life. I didn't find out before he died, but my grandfather had been on thyroid hormones for 30-40 years. Apparently if he was lax at all and forgot to take his pill one he would turn into an asshole, but otherwise was the nicest guy you can imagine.

TE
06-28-2012, 03:21 PM

Yes.

But do you really think the average person is informed enough about their exposure to BPA?

TE
06-28-2012, 03:23 PM
hormone therapy can definitely help you lead a more stable life. I didn't find out before he died, but my grandfather had been on thyroid hormones for 30-40 years. Apparently if he was lax at all and forgot to take his pill one he would turn into an asshole, but otherwise was the nicest guy you can imagine.

:lol fucking thyroid conditions man...

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 03:24 PM
my dog had hypothyroidism and it made him aggressive, which is a noted side effect. he's been on the pill ever since and hasn't had any issues in like 8 years.

HI-FI
06-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Yes.

But do you really think the average person is informed enough about their exposure to BPA?

I didn't even know about it until i clicked on the link. if BPA is essentially the shit that comes off of plastics, then i've always wondered about its effects.

how long have you guys known about this shit?

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 03:32 PM
it's been shown to feminize rats in studies and make the female rats less likely to mate with them lol

TE
06-28-2012, 03:35 PM
I didn't even know about it until i clicked on the link. if BPA is essentially the shit that comes off of plastics, then i've always wondered about its effects.

Learned about it a couple of years ago in a toxicology course.

TE
06-28-2012, 03:39 PM

On a second thought, Wiki actually has a pretty good description of the history of the compound.

HI-FI
06-28-2012, 03:40 PM
I always figured there was something controversial about plastics, especially drinking water from plastic bottles which i still do. I've listened to health debates about it, just never knew the term BPA before.

strange that it is linked to prostate cancer. I thought estrogen like substances decreased prostate cancer, like Japs with soybean consumption. I believe Japan has very little prostate cancer.

leemajors
06-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Learned about it a couple of years ago in a toxicology course.

yeah that was right around the big nalgene thing too

Shastafarian
06-28-2012, 04:00 PM
my dog had hypothyroidism and it made him aggressive, which is a noted side effect. he's been on the pill ever since and hasn't had any issues in like 8 years.

I guess a pill is a lot better remedy when compared to putting weights on your dick skin.

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 04:14 PM
dumb

TE
06-28-2012, 04:18 PM
:lmao Wtf, Shasta?

Shastafarian
06-28-2012, 05:02 PM
:lmao Wtf, Shasta?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200490

Shastafarian
06-28-2012, 05:06 PM
dumb

I can understand someone who is unhappy with their penis would feel this way. I'm sorry for your loss.

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 05:10 PM
I can understand someone who is unhappy with their penis would feel this way. I'm sorry for your loss.

:lol you think when i made that thread i didn't realize that little bitchasses like you wouldn't try to give me shit for it? i'm above being bothered by anything you say, enjoy your cut weiner brah.

keep on hating human rights and science

Shastafarian
06-28-2012, 05:19 PM
:lol you think when i made that thread i didn't realize that little bitchasses like you wouldn't try to give me shit for it? i'm above being bothered by anything you say, enjoy your cut weiner brah.

keep on hating human rights and science

:lol What exactly do you know about science?

Agloco
06-28-2012, 11:02 PM
strange that it is linked to prostate cancer. I thought estrogen like substances decreased prostate cancer, like Japs with soybean consumption. I believe Japan has very little prostate cancer.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/June08/wcmc.prostate.rubin.html

Using a breakthrough technology that reveals new data from 30-year-old samples, researchers led by Weill Cornell Medical College (WCMC) pathologist Mark Rubin have pinpointed the hormone estrogen as a key player in about half of all prostate cancers.

Estrogen-linked signaling helps drive a unique and aggressive form of the disease caused by a chromosomal translocation, the researchers found, which, in turn, results in the fusion of two genes.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pros.22534/abstract

Abstract

BACKGROUND

Through mediation of estrogen receptors, estradiol has been shown to have both carcinogenic and anti-carcinogenic effects on the prostate. We performed a population-based case–control study to investigate variants in estrogen-related genes ESR1, ESR2, CYP19A1, CYP1A1, and CYP1B1 and the potential association with risk of prostate cancer (PCa).

MATERIALS AND METHODS

We evaluated PCa risk conferred by 73 single nucleotide polymorphisms in 1,304 incident PCa cases and 1,266 age-matched controls. Analysis included stratification by clinical features and assessment of environmental modifiers.

RESULTS

There was evidence of altered risk of developing PCa for variants in ESR1, CYP1A1, and CYP1B1, however, only CYP1B1 rs1056836 retained significance after adjustment for multiple comparisons. An association with risk for more aggressive PCa was observed for variants in ESR1, ESR2, and CYP19A1, but none was significant after adjustment for multiple comparisons. There was no effect modification by obesity.

CONCLUSIONS

Germline genetic variation of these estrogen pathway genes may contribute to risk of PCa. Additional studies to validate these results and examine the functional consequence of validated variants are warranted.

http://www.earthyreport.com/site/estrogen-in-water-linked-to-prostrate-cancer-rise/

Canadian researchers may have discovered a link between estrogen from oral contraceptives that have found its way into drinking water supplies, and a rising rate of prostate cancer in men. Researchers at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto examined the percentage of women using the pill, condoms, intrauterine devices, and vaginal barrier contraceptives in 87 countries, and then examined the incidence and deaths from prostrate cancer. Lead researcher, Dr. David Margel, an urologist and fellow in uro-oncology said, “Looking at these percentages, we find a strong correlation between female use of oral contraceptives at a population level and both new cases of prostate cancer and mortality from prostate cancer. This was not found among other contraceptive modes,” he said. “We also checked the percentage use of intrauterine devices or condoms or vaginal barriers and the same relation was not found.”

HOWEVER

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100419150813.htm

ScienceDaily (Apr. 19, 2010) — A high level of one type of estrogen in a man's body might increase his risk of developing prostate cancer. That is one surprising conclusion from a new study which also offers another novel finding -- that high levels of the estrogen considered fuel for breast cancer might offer a protective benefit against prostate cancer.Details of the research were recently presented at the AACR 101st Annual Meeting 2010.

The health of the prostate has long been considered dependent on the level of the male hormones collectively known as androgens however, it is now recognized that estrogens and their metabolites (estrogen broken down by chemical processes in the body) play a role in its normal growth as well as in prostate cancer.

"The aim of our study was to evaluate the use of estrogen metabolites, as a marker for prostate cancer risk," says Ourania Kosti, PhD, at Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Which is to suggest that the science is far from settled on the matter.

mouse
06-29-2012, 01:12 AM
Didn't someone post last week Science cured Cancer already?

BlairForceDejuan
06-29-2012, 03:27 PM
My BPA laced water bottles contribute to working out which has got to help prevent cancer in some way...so it's all a wash. :toast