PDA

View Full Version : Five Graduate Degrees That Don't Pay Off

DarrinS
06-28-2012, 12:21 PM
http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2012/06/14/five-graduate-degrees-that-dont-pay-off/

In today's tough job market, many recent college graduates are enrolling in graduate programs to enhance their credentials and gain an edge with hiring managers. In some cases, the tactic may lead to lucrative job opportunities. A recent report from Georgetown University's Center on Education and the Workforce found that a graduate degree can boost an individual's earning power by more than 40% in some fields -- but the true value can vary wildly from industry to industry.

In disciplines such as medicine, for instance, an advanced degree can provide a 190% salary increase over a pre-med-focused bachelor's degree, according to the Georgetown study. For other programs, the return on investment isn't as certain: In some cases, available job opportunities are scarce or low-paying, or employers may value relevant work experience more than another diploma.

Particularly if you're planning to take out loans to attend graduate school, it pays to know what your realistic job prospects are, says Liz Pulliam Weston, a personal finance author and columnist for MSN Money. "A lot of schools will take your money and get you trained for jobs that don't exist," she cautions. "Take a buyer-beware attitude."

Master of Fine Arts Degrees

Students can obtain Master of Fine Arts, or MFA, degrees in disciplines including studio arts, creative writing, the performing arts and art criticism. Tuition costs vary, but at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, for instance, students can expect to pay more than $22,000 per term, plus the cost of housing, course books and other expenses.

That investment isn't likely to pay off: The Georgetown study saw just a 3% boost in income potential for studio arts MFA graduates.

Kristen Harris, owner of Portfolio Creative, a staffing agency in Columbus, Ohio, says her recruiting clients always favor candidates with relevant experience and work samples over those with graduate arts degrees. "It's hard to get that first work opportunity if you don't have that education and training, but after that, it's your portfolio and experience that speaks louder than your degree."

Computer Engineering

Computer engineering is a booming industry for job growth. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the market for software developers will grow by 30% between 2010 and 2020. Computer programmer jobs are growing at a 12% pace, which is about average. However, in most cases, there is little benefit for job seekers who go beyond a bachelor's degree in the field.

The Georgetown study saw just a 16% boost in pay for students with graduate degrees in computer engineering.

Paul Silvio, senior vice president at Modis, a large information technology recruiting firm, confirms that his client base doesn't place a high priority on graduate education. "The vast majority of jobs in IT are hands-on, where employees are utilizing a specific technology or skill set," he says. "Candidates grow their expertise by growing their skill sets and interpersonal skills," he says, rather than pursuing further academic qualifications.

PR, Advertising and Mass-Media Programs

The growth outlook for public relations positions is good, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The field is expected to grow by 21% between 2010 and 2020. However, as with the computer engineering industry, hands-on experience is more important than graduate degrees for job seekers. "The graduate degree doesn't really get you anywhere," says Weston.

Harris says her clients who need creative and marketing talent aren't seeking candidates with graduate degrees. "Generally, we don't get clients looking for an advanced degree unless they're looking for a higher-level strategy focus," she says.

In that case, however, they're typically seeking applicants with a Master of Business Administration, rather than communications-focused degrees. According to the Georgetown study, employees with graduate degrees in advertising and public relations can only expect an earnings boost of 12% for their diploma; mass-media students might see an 11% increase.

A Law Degree From a Fourth-Tier School

The number of law school graduates rose by 11% between 1999 and 2009, according to The New York Times, yet the paper also reports that 15,000 attorney and legal staff positions were eliminated between 2008 and 2011. For law students -- especially those from bottom-ranking schools -- a high-paying job is no sure thing.

A 2011 National Association for Law Placement survey found that, while 88% of 2010 law school graduates were employed, not all grads had positions in their field. Nearly 9% worked in "other capacities," and 11% worked part time. And while 18% of 2010 graduates were able to obtain starting salaries of around $160,000, nearly half of reporting graduates were making annual salaries that fell between $40,000 and $65,000.

No matter the quality of the law school, the education is pricy, and most students must obtain loans to pay tuition. Near the upper end of the spectrum at San Diego's Thomas Jefferson School of Law -- where 94% of the student body took out loans -- students graduated with an average of more than $153,000 in student loan debt, according to U.S. News and World Report. That kind of loan will take a long time to pay off on a $50,000 salary.

Atmospheric Sciences and Meteorology :lmao (sorry Manny)

The atmospheric science field pays reasonably well. The Bureau of Labor Statistics found a median salary of $87,780 for all atmospheric scientists, including meteorologists. Median represents the midpoint pay, so half receive higher pay and half receive lower. Graduate education in the field is necessary for many research-focused positions at universities. However, government and private sector positions rarely require graduate education.

To that end, job seekers looking for a substantial income boost by obtaining a master's degree or Ph.D. in the field will be sorely disappointed. Georgetown found a minuscule 1% increase in salary for employees with graduate degrees in the field. In this case, students should only pursue a graduate degree if they are truly interested in furthering their own education, rather than getting a bigger paycheck.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2012, 12:24 PM
CC posted it already. I'm not paying for my graduate degrees when I get them and since I want to do research I have to go the PhD route. Its stupid to include it in that list since virtually no one pays for a grad degree in atmospheric science.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Yes, stay away from Computer Engineering...

DarrinS
06-28-2012, 12:28 PM
CC posted it already. I'm not paying for my graduate degrees when I get them and since I want to do research I have to go the PhD route. Its stupid to include it in that list since virtually no one pays for a grad degree in atmospheric science.

No one pays for them?

CuckingFunt
06-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Of all the grad students I know who just got their degrees, the MFAs are the only group who all got hired immediately.

Anecdotal, of course, but still...

scott
06-28-2012, 12:46 PM
From a financial perspective, this may be dead on. However, it is important to remember that not all people are motivated by money.

cheguevara
06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Computer Engineering

Computer engineering is a booming industry for job growth. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the market for software developers will grow by 30% between 2010 and 2020. Computer programmer jobs are growing at a 12% pace, which is about average. However, in most cases, there is little benefit for job seekers who go beyond a bachelor's degree in the field.

The Georgetown study saw just a 16% boost in pay for students with graduate degrees in computer engineering.

Paul Silvio, senior vice president at Modis, a large information technology recruiting firm, confirms that his client base doesn't place a high priority on graduate education. "The vast majority of jobs in IT are hands-on, where employees are utilizing a specific technology or skill set," he says. "Candidates grow their expertise by growing their skill sets and interpersonal skills," he says, rather than pursuing further academic qualifications.

Paul Silvio is full of shit. Gotten plenty of jobs over other ppl due to having graduate degree

truth is when there are few equivalent candidates considered I'd pick the one with graduate degree 10/10 times

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 12:49 PM
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4272/bigmach.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/821/bigmach.jpg/)

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-28-2012, 12:54 PM
The law degree one is dead on. Unless you go to at least a good law school and kick ass academically, there's no jobs for law school graduates right now. I'm not sure why so many people I know are going to law school. Even in a good economy, America has had a surplus of lawyers for awhile now.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 12:57 PM
The law degree one is dead on. Unless you go to at least a good law school and kick ass academically, there's no jobs for law school graduates right now. I'm not sure why so many people I know are going to law school. Even in a good economy, America has had a surplus of lawyers for awhile now.

Yeah, there are St. Mary's graduates coming to my wife's office and offering to work for practically minimum wage just to get a legal job on their resume.

cheguevara
06-28-2012, 12:58 PM
of course. I thought that was common sense. You better have the experience to go along with your graduate degree, or else it's worthless.

CosmicCowboy
06-28-2012, 01:00 PM
When my son was in high school and wanted to be an attorney I warned him that if that's what he wanted to do he was going to have to make good undergraduate grades, kick ass on the LSAT and get into a top tier law school because I knew a bunch of brokeass attorneys that graduated from third and fourth tier schools.

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Yes, stay away from Computer Engineering...

it's saying that just a 4 year will suffice, getting the masters won't make your pay go up much.

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 03:07 PM
When my son was in high school and wanted to be an attorney I warned him that if that's what he wanted to do he was going to have to make good undergraduate grades, kick ass on the LSAT and get into a top tier law school because I knew a bunch of brokeass attorneys that graduated from third and fourth tier schools.

btw, does south texas college of law fall into that category?

Juggity
06-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Different people experience fulfillment from different activities. Don't hate, son.

DarrinS
06-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Paul Silvio is full of shit. Gotten plenty of jobs over other ppl due to having graduate degree

truth is when there are few equivalent candidates considered I'd pick the one with graduate degree 10/10 times

I'd pick the person with more skill and experience.

TE
06-28-2012, 03:54 PM

The irony... A new medical school graduate from a low tier US med school or international school (Mexico, carribeans) could get a great residency with great USMLE scores.

Great residency = great paying job

ElNono
06-28-2012, 04:10 PM
it's saying that just a 4 year will suffice, getting the masters won't make your pay go up much.

I'm just saying I want the market cornered, tbh... :lol

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 04:14 PM
real talk i noticed the other day that salaries in computer related fields have been dropping from what they used to be. i guess everyone flocked to it, same shit will happen with nursing. nursing will be like teaching in the future, RN salaries are already down to 64,000. sure you'll be able to get a job, but itll be dirty and hard work for the amount of pay.

ElNono
06-28-2012, 04:15 PM
real talk i noticed the other day that salaries in computer related fields have been dropping from what they used to be. i guess everyone flocked to it, same shit will happen with nursing. nursing will be like teaching in the future, RN salaries are already down to 64,000. sure you'll be able to get a job, but itll be dirty and hard work for the amount of pay.

And I married an RN... FML :depressed

:lol

mavs>spurs
06-28-2012, 04:23 PM
:lol she works long hours am i right?

cheguevara
06-28-2012, 04:25 PM
I'd pick the person with more skill and experience.

DarrinS
06-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Then they aren't truly equivalent -- to you.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Yeah, there are St. Mary's graduates coming to my wife's office and offering to work for practically minimum wage just to get a legal job on their resume.
rofl sounds about right

Even the big firms that are still hiring aren't paying near what they used to to new associates. Some have even cut the starting wage over 50% since 2008.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-28-2012, 04:33 PM
The irony... A new medical school graduate from a low tier US med school or international school (Mexico, carribeans) could get a great residency with great USMLE scores.

Great residency = great paying job
Well getting into a low tier US med school is a lot harder than a low tier US law school. Getting into law school is pretty easy if you're applying to the lesser ones. ASU's law school accepts pretty much anyone with tuition and an asshole.

TE
06-28-2012, 04:33 PM
:lol she works long hours am i right?

:lol probably. Nono probably has a shit ton of free time because of it. I don't speak for all men, but my woman would prefer me not to waste my time on this site. Don't really care though for what she wants me to do on my free time tbh.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2012, 04:55 PM
No one pays for them?

Not the students. Everyone I know in geology or surrounding areas goes to grad school with funding. We do research.

cheguevara
06-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Then they aren't truly equivalent -- to you.

bingo

SnakeBoy
06-28-2012, 06:33 PM

And how much more would you pay them?

cheguevara
06-28-2012, 09:25 PM
And how much more would you pay them?

graduate degree adds about 2-3 years to your pro experience salarywise

Agloco
06-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Well getting into a low tier US med school is a lot harder than a low tier US law school. Getting into law school is pretty easy if you're applying to the lesser ones. ASU's law school accepts pretty much anyone with tuition and an asshole.

This.

I have an.....ahem.....acquaintance who got into a tier four school. He's not someone I'd trust with that sort of business since he lacks much common sense (I won't start about his moral compass either).

He got into the school and they gave him an 80% scholarship, without so much as an interview. Scary stuff.

If he manages to graduate (he's on academic probation :lol) I feel for the people he represents in the future.

Agloco
06-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Graduate degrees are overrated tbh.

:hat

Agloco
06-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Not the students. Everyone I know in geology or surrounding areas goes to grad school with funding. We do research.

This is true, but in my profession they are going to a "professional degree" rather than the traditional PhD. So kids in the future will have to pay to get a doctorate, much like the Medical Doctorate (MD). The one being proposed is supposed to be called Doctor of Medical Physics or (DMP).

I suspect that you won't have this sort of issue in your field though, since it's all research. The PhD will survive the great scourge.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2012, 10:47 PM
This is true, but in my profession they are going to a "professional degree" rather than the traditional PhD. So kids in the future will have to pay to get a doctorate, much like the Medical Doctorate (MD). The one being proposed is supposed to be called Doctor of Medical Physics or (DMP).

I suspect that you won't have this sort of issue in your field though, since it's all research. The PhD will survive the great scourge.

Man that kinda sucks.

SnakeBoy
06-28-2012, 10:47 PM
graduate degree adds about 2-3 years to your pro experience salarywise

That's not much of a payoff so how is the guy full of shit?

GoodOdor
06-28-2012, 11:39 PM
I kinda wish I got an engineering degree now......much better pay right out of college compared to my economics/accounting degree, not to mention the fact both my parents are engineers with lots of conections.....fml:depressed

mavs>spurs
06-29-2012, 12:47 AM
you and me both wish that, economists make good money but engineering is by far the more sure path. and don't even get me started on accounting, i legitimately feel sorry for the people who have to work in that shithole of an industry.

GoodOdor
06-29-2012, 01:42 AM
you and me both wish that, economists make good money but engineering is by far the more sure path. and don't even get me started on accounting, i legitimately feel sorry for the people who have to work in that shithole of an industry.

It's not too late for you scrah, go into finance and you'll make bank right out of college. As for me, now I gotta get a CPA and a few more years experience before I even start getting close to that 80k+ annual.

mavs>spurs
06-29-2012, 01:45 AM
graduating with my finance degree in a month...realized before it was too late to get the fuck out of accounting but even now, i'm not guaranteed anything. i could potentially end up as a fucking bank teller with the way things are going.

GoodOdor
06-29-2012, 01:59 AM
graduating with my finance degree in a month...realized before it was too late to get the fuck out of accounting but even now, i'm not guaranteed anything. i could potentially end up as a fucking bank teller with the way things are going.

We all gotta do our "time" tbh, my first full time job out of college was as a temp accounting clerk at a credit union tbh.

mavs>spurs
06-29-2012, 02:03 AM
yeah but some jobs just don't offer a clear path to advancement, hence "bank teller"

you're lucky even to get a shitty entry level job with advancement potential these days

MannyIsGod
06-29-2012, 02:13 AM
I just realized Darrin laughed at me for choosing a field that I love and has a median income of just under 90,000 dollars. WTF?

:lmao

mavs>spurs
06-29-2012, 02:15 AM
yeah you just gotta learn to ignore the idiots on here..and there is a LOT of em. most of the time they don't even believe the shit they're typing, they just do it because they don't like you or have a grudge or whatever. there's nothing wrong with 90,000 a year to do what you love.

CosmicCowboy
06-29-2012, 08:23 AM
I just realized Darrin laughed at me for choosing a field that I love and has a median income of just under 90,000 dollars. WTF?

Yeah, but those hot bitches making half a mil to read the weather on TV skew the average. Lets face it Manny, you have a face for radio.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Yeah, but those hot bitches making half a mil to read the weather on TV skew the average. Lets face it Manny, you have a face for radio.
Do you know how medians work :lol, the whole point of using median pay is so the averages aren't skewed

DMX7
06-29-2012, 05:43 PM
It's not too late for you scrah, go into finance and you'll make bank right out of college. As for me, now I gotta get a CPA and a few more years experience before I even start getting close to that 80k+ annual.

You'll make bank if you graduated near the top of your class from a highly networked elite school. Otherwise, you may as well have graduated with a basket weaving degree from DeVry.

CosmicCowboy
06-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Do you know how medians work :lol, the whole point of using median pay is so the averages aren't skewed

Do you know how cyber joshing between friends works?

:rolleyes

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Whatever you do, don't drop 20k on getting a masters in accounting because someone told you its :cryreally hard:cry to pass the CPA test without taking the masters classes. Getting your CPA is all that matters in accounting, a masters in accounting is worthless. Once I'm done with school I'll only need like 9 more units to get my CPA assuming I don't find a job in finance that I like.

SnakeBoy
06-30-2012, 12:53 AM
I just realized Darrin laughed at me for choosing a field that I might love and has a median income of just under 90,000 dollars. WTF?

Fify. I loved writing code but it turned out to be more like this in practice.

WkXzlkOWLE0

x1TsOHyJPpw

GoodOdor
06-30-2012, 05:29 PM
You'll make bank if you graduated near the top of your class from a highly networked elite school. Otherwise, you may as well have graduated with a basket weaving degree from DeVry.

Yeah, I definitely made a mistake getting an average GPA - I went to UCSB and the top 4 recruit from there all the time.

That being said, my coworker worked for a couple of years for Ernest & young straight out of college, and he says it's basically 80 hour work weeks, so that's not something I would wanna do even if I was getting paid a lot more.

GoodOdor
06-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Whatever you do, don't drop 20k on getting a masters in accounting because someone told you its :cryreally hard:cry to pass the CPA test without taking the masters classes. Getting your CPA is all that matters in accounting, a masters in accounting is worthless. Once I'm done with school I'll only need like 9 more units to get my CPA assuming I don't find a job in finance that I like.

Definately, Masters in accounting in useless(lol is there even such a thing?) best thing to do is get CPA+at least 3 years doing actual accounting work(not bookkeeping, I'm talking about month/year end close, payroll, general ledger entries etc) and then get a masters in something like business management or finance. If you have all that, then you really won't be making less than 70k.

Still, I'm bitter that I could have been making 70k straight out of college if I did engineering.........even though I don't like doing that stuff:(:(

Wild Cobra Kai
07-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Definately, Masters in accounting in useless(lol is there even such a thing?) best thing to do is get CPA+at least 3 years doing actual accounting work(not bookkeeping, I'm talking about month/year end close, payroll, general ledger entries etc) and then get a masters in something like business management or finance. If you have all that, then you really won't be making less than 70k.

Still, I'm bitter that I could have been making 70k straight out of college if I did engineering.........even though I don't like doing that stuff:(:(

You'd have burnt out in short order.

GoodOdor
07-01-2012, 10:24 AM

Yeah, I guess I can look at it that way........:(

MannyIsGod
07-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Yup. I'm not sure why people are so worried about making 70k out of school anyway. Put some time in and work hard and you'll likely make a decent living.

Agloco
07-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Yup. I'm not sure why people are so worried about making 70k out of school anyway. Put some time in and work hard and you'll likely make a decent living.

Instant gratification. We're surrounded and saturated by shortcuts to the good life.

Anyone who lacks life experience will fall for this trap more often than not.

mavs>spurs
07-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Agloco are you the worlds smartest mexican

Agloco
07-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Agloco are you the worlds smartest mexican

Am I? Unlikely tbh

Edward
07-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Instant gratification. We're surrounded and saturated by shortcuts to the good life.

Anyone who lacks life experience will fall for this trap more often than not.
I really don't think an engineering degree is instant gratification. It's by far more work than any other undergrad degree and likely means a lot of Saturday nights where you can't go out.

mavs>spurs
07-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Am I? Unlikely tbh

I've never met another mexican who was even halfway there. Most of em struggle to tie their shoes and roof houses tbh.

You may very well not only be the smartest mexican in the world today, but the smartest mexican of all time.

Edward
07-01-2012, 07:09 PM
well CBF is an astronomical be@ner

mavs>spurs
07-01-2012, 07:10 PM
looking through a telescope doesn't require any real intelligence tbh

GoodOdor
07-01-2012, 07:34 PM
keep sucking cock on the street corner. that pays cash right away :tu

What's your annual income doing that?

mavs>spurs
07-01-2012, 07:41 PM
ccrofl

After hearing what goododor has to say about 80 hour work weeks in accounting, I'm really glad I didn't go that route. Don't get me wrong I don't mind hard work, but that's 2 fulltime work weeks crammed into one. If you account for time and a half and overtime, you're probably making 10 bucks an hour tbh.

spursncowboys
07-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Am I? Unlikely tbh I thought you were
black

Agloco
07-01-2012, 08:53 PM
I really don't think an engineering degree is instant gratification. It's by far more work than any other undergrad degree and likely means a lot of Saturday nights where you can't go out.

We will agree to disagree about difficulty. That's in the eye of the beholder.

As for instant gratifaction, I meant that many choose this route specifically for the promised payday coming out of school, not the work that went into obtaining the degree.

Agloco
07-01-2012, 08:54 PM
I've never met another mexican who was even halfway there. Most of em struggle to tie their shoes and roof houses tbh.

You may very well not only be the smartest mexican in the world today, but the smartest mexican of all time.

Again, doubtful.

I thought you were
black

Lies!!

Agloco
07-01-2012, 08:56 PM
looking through a telescope doesn't require any real intelligence tbh

Making meaningful inferences about said observations does however.

mavs>spurs
07-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Making meaningful inferences about said observations does however.

CBF ain't no real astronomer, he's a be@ner with a telescope set

Edward
07-01-2012, 09:58 PM
We will agree to disagree about difficulty. That's in the eye of the beholder.

As for instant gratifaction, I meant that many choose this route specifically for the promised payday coming out of school, not the work that went into obtaining the degree.
compared to other majors, it's more difficult. You don't agree?

Edward
07-01-2012, 10:01 PM
ccrofl

After hearing what goododor has to say about 80 hour work weeks in accounting, I'm really glad I didn't go that route. Don't get me wrong I don't mind hard work, but that's 2 fulltime work weeks crammed into one. If you account for time and a half and overtime, you're probably making 10 bucks an hour tbh.
Being an "analyst" at an investment bank (i.e. stapling papers and putting documents together) is pretty shitty the first few years as well with ridiculous hours. If you're not willing to put in 2-3 years of ridiculous work weeks early on you're only gonna get so far.

MannyIsGod
07-01-2012, 10:08 PM

LOL yeah right. I mean don't get me wrong; It definitely is a lot of work but my two best friends here are both engineering students and life doesn't stop.

Its harder than most other undergrad degrees but the people who can't hack it are weeded out extremely early (for the most part).

MannyIsGod
07-01-2012, 10:09 PM
ccrofl

Fuck doing something like accounting for 80 hours a week. Stuck in a fucking cubicle, bleh.

Edward
07-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Well then maybe the engineering majors I know are just dumb :lol

Edward
07-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Fuck doing something like accounting for 80 hours a week. Stuck in a fucking cubicle, bleh.
Big 4 audit accounting you're almost never in a cubicle. New associates often times don't even have cubicles as they're spending all their time at the client's site inquiring about stuff and performing tests. It's a myth that all accounting is behind a cubicle.

MannyIsGod
07-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Possibly. :lol

We've all sat at bars near campus drinking at 12 in the afternoon with our laptops open doing homework. They're both a bit older like me, though (passed their mid 20s) so we're all probably better at making the most of our time.

MannyIsGod
07-01-2012, 10:13 PM
You should expect to do shitwork out of school. Some people will get lucky, but most have to put in some time doing something that others have moved past as they've advanced. Can't all be CEOs at 24, tbh.

Edward
07-01-2012, 10:17 PM
You should expect to do shitwork out of school. Some people will get lucky, but most have to put in some time doing something that others have moved past as they've advanced. Can't all be CEOs at 24, tbh.
Exactly. It's not something exclusive to certain fields. If you wanna be successful then busting ass, making connections and good impressions your first few years outa school is key. There isn't a major out there that leads to a 90k a year job out of school where you work 40 hours a week or less and the work you do is fun stuff.

Agloco
07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
compared to other majors, it's more difficult. You don't agree?

Not in an absolute sense, no. Again, it's in the eye of the beholder.

ALVAREZ6
07-02-2012, 11:16 PM
:lmao I know some...well, frankly, quite unintelligent people who are planning on starting law school at bottom tier schools and will probably do average at best at those schools. AKA they are indebting themselves, while not working fulltime, for degrees that they will never use.

The idea of being a lawyer appealed to me years ago but I never realistically considered it because going through law school always seemed like such a pain in the ass. I'm glad I didn't get myself into that shit.

Anyway, I think we will see most salaries drop as things continue to be automated and outsourced, the college graduate (undergrad and grad) population continue to increase, and population in general increase. The natural level for the economy of the US can't get too much bigger, for the professional job sectors. There will continuously be more highly educated people but the disparity in rate of new job creation will increase. Moral of the story is to study and practice something you enjoy.

Nbadan
07-03-2012, 02:51 AM
Moral of the story is to study and practice something you enjoy.

Blah, work hard, educate yourself in some trade and keep your nose clean.....I have journeymen friends who make much more than most MBAs...

Nbadan
07-03-2012, 02:53 AM
....and the premise that one MBA is better than another MBA is baloney....to take full advantage of your MBA you use it to qualify for a higher status, higher paying position, not to make more money at the same position your at....

MannyIsGod
07-03-2012, 11:26 AM
....and the premise that one MBA is better than another MBA is baloney....to take full advantage of your MBA you use it to qualify for a higher status, higher paying position, not to make more money at the same position your at....

Of course alll MBA's are not created equal. An MBA from the University of Phoenix is not the same as an MBA from UT. Its not even close.

spursncowboys
07-03-2012, 12:02 PM
I have a buddy who is just computer savvy. He has no college and has always had a good IT job. He told me that the worst people to work with were people who have degrees.

GoodOdor
07-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I have a buddy who is just computer savvy. He has no college and has always had a good IT job. He told me that the worst people to work with were people who have degrees.

dem intelektuals thik they bettah then us hard workin men!!! mah hig scoool diplomah is jest es good as a coleg degree i sey!!!!!!1

boutons_deux
07-03-2012, 01:15 PM
anti-intellectualism, anti-education, anti-science, anti-facts, anti-rationalism are fundamental aspects of conservatives' toxic "philosophy"

resistanze
07-03-2012, 01:51 PM
dem intelektuals thik they bettah then us hard workin men!!! mah hig scoool diplomah is jest es good as a coleg degree i sey!!!!!!1

:lol

DarrinS
07-03-2012, 02:06 PM
anti-intellectualism, anti-education, anti-science, anti-facts, anti-rationalism are fundamental aspects of conservatives' toxic "philosophy"

whiff

your posts are about as good as these legs are tan

http://www.thegolfballfactory.com/the-golf-course/hole18/president-clinton-playing-golf.bmp

z0sa
07-03-2012, 02:09 PM
anti-intellectualism, anti-education, anti-science, anti-facts, anti-rationalism are fundamental aspects of every post I make.

FIFY :tu

vy65
07-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Those law school numbers are crazy

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-03-2012, 03:28 PM

coyotes_geek
07-03-2012, 03:38 PM

book lernin' :lol

boutons_deux
07-03-2012, 03:48 PM
very clever!!

GFY

MannyIsGod
07-03-2012, 04:18 PM

CosmicCowboy
07-03-2012, 04:36 PM

You guys crack me up.

Personally, I went the college track (hybrid engineering/architecture degree) but I am friends with at least 10 multi-multi millionaires here in SA that didn't...either skipped college completely or did a couple years and then went to work. All smart guys...they were just ready to move on. Personally I'm not sure the degree I got was really necessary for the small success I have had in life.

This forum is a prime example that people can have a college degree and still be stupid motherfuckers.

boutons_deux
07-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Study: For-profit college students end up with lower earnings

In a new working paper filed with the National Bureau of Economic research, a statistical analysis of for-profit college students show that earnings are significantly less than students who attend comparable nonprofit schools. The study found that “income in 2009 is approximately $5,500 lower for students starting at for-profit institutions than for students starting at not-for-profit/public institutions.”

Kevin Lang, the lead researcher on the study and a professor at Boston University, told Raw Story: “I’d certainly be very cautious about putting a lot of my eggs in the for-profit basket as a policy tool for improving labor market outcomes for disadvantaged workers. At this point the case has not been made.”

Other research has found that for-profit students make up about half of all student loan defaults, even though they make up about 12 percent of the general student population. The default rate among students at for-profit schools is 15 percent, more than double that of student who attend public universities and more than tripple that of students who attend private, nonprofit schools.

This study also confirms the findings of a previous NBER report that found for-profit students in 2004 were earning $1,800 to $2,000 less than their nonprofit peers.

The U.S. Department of Education issued regulations that would have restricted for-profit colleges’ access to federal student aid if they couldn’t meet student debt requirements, but a federal judge gutted one of the key aspects of the regulation in a ruling this weekend.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/03/study-for-profit-college-students-end-up-with-lower-earnings/

MannyIsGod
07-03-2012, 04:48 PM
You guys crack me up.

Personally, I went the college track (hybrid engineering/architecture degree) but I am friends with at least 10 multi-multi millionaires here in SA that didn't...either skipped college completely or did a couple years and then went to work. All smart guys...they were just ready to move on. Personally I'm not sure the degree I got was really necessary for the small success I have had in life.

This forum is a prime example that people can have a college degree and still be stupid motherfuckers.

Its not the idea that people need a college degree to succeed in life but if you line up 100,000 non degree holders and 100,000 degree holders I'm pretty damn sure I know who's going to come ahead.

I agree on your last point but there's no reason for you to call out Darrin like that.

TeyshaBlue
07-03-2012, 04:50 PM
I agree on your last point but there's no reason for you to call out Darrin like that.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/teyshablue/georgetakei.gif

MannyIsGod
07-03-2012, 05:04 PM
LOL awesome gif

Cant_Be_Faded
07-03-2012, 05:05 PM
One of my best friends wives is in accounting and has been doing just fine. I don't think she works 80 hr Weeks, and makes a good living

Agloco
07-03-2012, 08:10 PM

Probably not the most representative sampling one could take tbh.

Agloco
07-03-2012, 08:10 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/teyshablue/georgetakei.gif

:tu

Takei cracks me up.

ploto
07-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Not all payoffs are monetary.

I have a Master's Degree and it is required for me to hold the position that I do. It does not and will never pay a ton of money but it is what I wanted to do, so for me it paid off.

Agloco
07-08-2012, 11:11 PM

Nursing won't go the way of CS, and it certainly won't approach salaries associated with teaching. There's ever increasing demand and the rate of attrition is much too high (for ADN, LVN, LPN, BSN, etc.). Also, in nursing there are options in graduate training (MSN) that substantially increase salaries such as FNP's or Nurse Anesthesists. The former routinely make 80-90k, while the latter make around 120-150k.

You also mention that salaries in Nursing are "down" to 64000. What location and specialty are you referring to? How much experience are you considering? In SA, nursing salaries at the bachelors level are around 45-50k, starting.