PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs Extend Qualifying Offer to Danny Green

timvp
06-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Danny Green's qualifying offer was for $2,695,391 so it wasn't exactly a sure thing that the Spurs would extend the offer. That amount is guaranteed; if the Spurs didn't like him or were going to get creative with their cap space, they may have avoided giving him the QO and took their chances.

By giving Green the qualifying offer, he's now a restricted free agent. The Spurs could give him a multi-year deal or both sides could agree just to play out the season at that price. If he plays for the QO, Green would be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

Even though Green bombed in the WCF, I thought the Spurs definitely needed to extend the QO and should look to sign him to a reasonable contract over ~3 seasons. He's a solid rotation player who the Spurs may be able to lock up for a relatively cheap price.

In related news, the Spurs also extended a QO to Patrick Mills. I'm not sure the exact dollar amount but I believe it's around $1 million. That move is a little bit more surprising since I thought the Spurs could be going in a different direction at backup point guard. By extending the QO to Mills, that could be a sign that Mills is the player they want at backup point guard next season.

MannyIsGod
06-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Pours some cold water over the De Colo idea.

ElNono
06-29-2012, 12:54 AM
Great news all around. BTW, isn't this season Neal's last contract season? If it is, that might explain the Spurs drafting a SG. Neal has been an absolute bargain, but he might be looking at a big payday when his contract is up.

loveforthegame
06-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Good news about Green.

Surprised about Mills though. That doesn't sound good for DeColo.

So are we coming back with the same roster then?

timvp
06-29-2012, 12:58 AM
In related news, the Spurs also extended a QO to Patrick Mills. I'm not sure the exact dollar amount but I believe it's around $1 million.

If I'm understanding the new CBA correctly, Mills' QO was $1,085,120.

That's not a ton of money obviously but, since it's guaranteed, the Spurs probably don't extend it unless they actually want to bring him back.

spurs10
06-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the good news. I'm glad they both got an offer. Mills is bound to be a better back up pg than Neal. Green should return highly motivated to get back on track.

Spurs4#5
06-29-2012, 01:08 AM
I was never to big on shaking this roster up...the team just went to the wcf and I still believe the only reason we lost is the thunder just went on a ridiculous shooting streak...if the spurs thinks mills can be a good back up I trust their judgment

timvp
06-29-2012, 01:09 AM
Pours some cold water over the De Colo idea.

This is a good point. The Spurs are pretty guard heavy if everyone is coming back. Between Parker, Ginboili, Green, Mills and Neal ... that's already five players who will expect minutes. Adding De Colo on top of that doesn't make much sense unless they think he'll spend the year in Austin. The other option is to move one of the players -- with Neal being the one that makes the most sense to trade.

But yeah, the Spurs giving a QO to Mills tells me the Spurs aren't planning on De Colo being the backup point guard next season. You don't give guaranteed money to a third point guard ... especially when there is already an emergency point guard on the roster in Neal.

Ice009
06-29-2012, 01:16 AM
I really liked what Mills did, but I just don't know about him and how he will do in the playoffs. We simply NEED guys that won't shrivel in the playoffs. Offensively or defensively, gotta stay solid on both sides of the ball.

I do like Mills though, but not totally sure on him.

baseline bum
06-29-2012, 01:18 AM
Unless he's looking for something in the range of 3 years, $9 million or less, I'm hoping they just play out the QO for the season. As good as Green was this season, I want to see him do it again.

MannyIsGod
06-29-2012, 01:24 AM
Yeah - I'd rather they just play out the QO with DG too. I'm leery of him going Jaren Jackson on us.

timvp
06-29-2012, 01:29 AM
Unless he's looking for something in the range of 3 years, $9 million or less, I'm hoping they just play out the QO for the season.

I'd be pretty comfortable at $10 million over three years. Maybe eleven. But without looking at other comparables, that's about my ceiling.

Darkwaters
06-29-2012, 01:41 AM
This is a good point. The Spurs are pretty guard heavy if everyone is coming back. Between Parker, Ginboili, Green, Mills and Neal ... that's already five players who will expect minutes. Adding De Colo on top of that doesn't make much sense unless they think he'll spend the year in Austin. The other option is to move one of the players -- with Neal being the one that makes the most sense to trade.

Did somebody say Cory Joseph?

timvp
06-29-2012, 01:45 AM
:lol I forgot Joseph is on the team. Tbh, I expect Joseph to underwhelm in summer league and then the Spurs skip picking up his third year option. We'll see but yeah the Spurs picking up Mills' option is really bad news for Joseph. He'll have to do a lot to get that option picked up. Otherwise, he'll be going the James Anderson route.

racm
06-29-2012, 01:56 AM
Glad to see the FO remaining calm and not going nuts, unlike us fans.

De Colo doesn't seem to be in the FO's plans for next year unless they invite him for Summer League or something, and that doesn't look likely due to the Olympics.

Steve-O-Matic
06-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Yeah - I'd rather they just play out the QO with DG too. I'm leery of him going Jaren Jackson on us.

Bad comp. Jaren Jackson was already on the wrong side of 30 when he debuted for the Spurs. Green hasn't even hit his prime. Green may not have an All-Star ceiling, but there's little chance of him regressing given the nature of his game.

MannyIsGod
06-29-2012, 02:07 AM
Of course there's a sizeable chance of DG regressing. He's had about half a season of quality ball. He's not shown that its a lock he doesn't get worse. If you don't want to go with the JJ comparison, then I'll just compare him to RMJr.

jesterbobman
06-29-2012, 02:12 AM
He was excellent for all but the OKC series, definitely worth extending QO. If some team offers 6 million a year pass, but the QO is cheap and you are ensured of that, a cheap long term deal or nothing from offering it.(If he gets a Godfather offer)

Darkwaters
06-29-2012, 02:18 AM
:lol I forgot Joseph is on the team. Tbh, I expect Joseph to underwhelm in summer league and then the Spurs skip picking up his third year option. We'll see but yeah the Spurs picking up Mills' option is really bad news for Joseph. He'll have to do a lot to get that option picked up. Otherwise, he'll be going the James Anderson route.

All these factors seems to point more and more to Denmon being a draft n' stash. Unless he has a Gary Neal-esque summer league I think the Spurs need to consider it.

racm
06-29-2012, 02:31 AM
He was excellent for all but the OKC series, definitely worth extending QO. If some team offers 6 million a year pass, but the QO is cheap and you are ensured of that, a cheap long term deal or nothing from offering it.(If he gets a Godfather offer)

Yeah, he just cooled off at the worst time possible. Pop panicking and benching him didn't help either.

Salty
06-29-2012, 03:28 AM
Definitely feel like some people turned on him after that bad outing against OKC. He may be a streaky shooter, but the good thing is that he has plenty of time and room to develop his shot and other offensive skills (dude needs to work on that running floater if he's gonna keep on taking it). He'll always bring the most value on the defensive end, so that's why it's important to retain him.

Max I'd go is 12m/3yrs, probably a bit too generous but w/e. It's all relative to whatever Diaw wants too, and it's important that we retain both of those guys.

Mel_13
06-29-2012, 04:01 AM
Glad to see that the Spurs tendered the QOs for Green and Mills. I'd guess that the Spurs will match up to something around 3yr/10M, although I hope that they can get him signed for less without him seeking other offers.

As for Mills, I think they they let him walk once he gets any offer much over the minimum.

Bruno
06-29-2012, 06:05 AM
There is a true logjam at the guards spots with Parker, Mills, Joseph, De Colo, Denmon, Neal, Ginobili and Green. Spurs are too fine at the SF spot with Leonard and Jack so playing with a 3 guards lineup isn't a that legit options.

Some trades to clear that logjam would made sense.
Neal seems to be the most likely candidate to be traded. He can't really play PG and at SG, he can't expect to be more than a 3rd string SG. The Denmon draft pick might be a sign Neal will be traded . Denmon certainly won't be as good as Neal but he will fight for his roster spot of 3rd string SG.

Spurs have some very nice financial flexibility to make a trade. For example, with a package of Bonner, Blair, Neal, Joseph and Byars, they can take up to $11.6M in salary.

hsxvvd
06-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Mills value might rise during the olympics... he will be carrying the load for the Boomers team and Brett Brown is running much the same offence to the Spurs, a big plus for Mills.

Wild Cobra Kai
06-29-2012, 07:15 AM
There is a true logjam at the guards spots with Parker, Mills, Joseph, De Colo, Denmon, Neal, Ginobili and Green. Spurs are too fine at the SF spot with Leonard and Jack so playing with a 3 guards lineup isn't a that legit options.

Jack is big and strong enough to poach minutes at the stretch four.

SenorSpur
06-29-2012, 07:27 AM
Great news on Green. Despite his flame-out in the WCFs, he's still a key cog in the rotation. I also expect him to atone for his meltdown, too. I expect and hope that he's inserted back in the starting lineup.

With the QO extended to Mills, it would stand to reason that the Spurs don't have a place for De Colo this season. Perhaps they want to give another year-long look at Joseph to determine if he can make it at this level.

SenorSpur
06-29-2012, 07:27 AM
Great news on Green. Despite his flame-out in the WCFs, he's still a key cog in the rotation. I also expect him to atone for his meltdown, too. I expect and hope that he's inserted back in the starting lineup.

With the QO extended to Mills, it would stand to reason that the Spurs don't have a place for De Colo this season. Perhaps they want to give another year-long look at Joseph to determine if he can make it at this level.

silverblackfan
06-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Glad to see Danny getting the QO. He was pretty solid all year until the WCF. In his defense, that was a hell of a team and a lot of pressure. Except for Tim and Jackson, everyone else had some bad periods in that series.
As for Mills getting the QO, I think it must be for the cheap price tag and to let him know the Spurs are interested in him. If he catches fire in the Olympics this summer, it will make even more sense.
We do have a glut of point guards. Of which, I think only De Colo and Mills are qualified at the moment as back up pgs.

Redshadows
06-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Would extending Green Qualifying Offer kill all the cap space of Spurs if Duncan signed a $10m-per-year contract?

Bruno
06-29-2012, 07:50 AM
De Colo and his agent have been quite affirmative that Spurs wants them. Nothing unexpected like a trade has happened during the draft night so it should still be the case.

Even If De Colo is signed, keeping Mills makes sense. Having only a rookie as backup PG is very risky so Mills will be a nice and necessary insurance to have. However, Spurs wanting to keep Mills and wanting to add De Colo is a very bad news for Joseph. Spurs might very well have given up on him which wouldn't be that surprising given how bad he was in his rookie year.

SenorSpur
06-29-2012, 08:15 AM
De Colo and his agent have been quite affirmative that Spurs wants them. Nothing unexpected like a trade has happened during the draft night so it should still be the case.

It sure looks like the Spurs will need to free up a roster space or two real soon.

Mel_13
06-29-2012, 08:21 AM
If they did that and trade/amnesty Bonner and trade or didn't pickup the contract for Neal, Joseph or Blair, they would have 3+mil in Cap Space to sign Lorbek. They could use the two year exception to sign De Colo. Than the Spurs could resign Green or Mills to a larger contract than their QO and would push them over the cap, which would give them the Full MLE to resign Diaw.

This is what I have been saying for months, apart from Mills and cutting Joseph because I didn't realize Mills could be tendered. Bonner as well as neither Neal or Blair need to sacrificed and probably Joseph as well for it to be possible for the Spurs to sign De Colo and Lorbek.

:lol

And you've been wrong for months.

It is impossible for a team to be below the cap at one point, use that cap space to sign a player, then go over the cap and get to use the MLE.

Impossible.

Everything you need to know about salary cap exceptions from the acknowledged expert on the subject:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

How team salary is computed:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Everything you could ever want to know about the CBA can be found at Larry Coon's website.

bigfan
06-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Im glad DG will be around for a while too. Sure he disappeared against OKC but he was damn good the rest of the season. As for Mills, I liked what I saw and since Ive never seen Nando its better the devel you know. Joseph, well, I dont really care.

Mel_13
06-29-2012, 09:20 AM
The QO count against the Cap. That is why RFA are the last player to be signed in NBA FA because teams look to use up any remaining cap before resigning their RFA. The only way the Spurs would lose this leverage if Green or Mills signed an offer sheet from another team. At that point, that number counts against the tendering team's Cap.

But if Green and Mills just sit tight and just resign with the Spurs, the Spurs can just resign them without using any of their BAE or MLE. The Spurs will have the Full amounts for Two Year Exception and Mid level Exception.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/exceptions.jsp

Yes, reading up this it looks like the NBA made it to where these count against any remaining Cap Space. So, the Spurs more than likely with have to trade Joseph, Blair, and Neal for a trade exception to sign both Lorbek and Diaw.

Spurs have 1mil trade exception now that can be used this FA. But they could make a trade with the Raptors, Nets, Magic, etc. for another 2mil+. which probably why they didn't want another 1st round pick but are looking to clear cap space and get some back with a Trade exception.

Trade exceptions can't be used to sign Free Agents. As the name implies, they can be used to make trades.

Diaw and Lorbek will have to be signed using salary cap exceptions. For the Spurs, those exceptions are the MLE, the BAE, and the Veteran's minimum.

That's it.

loveforthegame
06-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Spurs have some very nice financial flexibility to make a trade. For example, with a package of Bonner, Blair, Neal, Joseph and Byars, they can take up to $11.6M in salary.

Let's hope teams are more interested than they were last night.

Redshadows
06-29-2012, 09:54 AM
BTW, when will the free agents market begin?

Bruno
06-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Let's hope teams are more interested than they were last night.

Spurs didn't have the same financial flexibility during the draft. Making trades will be easier to do after July 1st. It's possible too that Spurs weren't that interested in draft picks: they are in win now mode and still have some young players.

racm
06-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Spurs didn't have the same financial flexibility during the draft. Making trades will be easier to do after July 1st. It's possible too that Spurs weren't that interested in draft picks: they are in win now mode and still have some young players.

Exactly. It's not like the Spurs are OKC or Sacramento, where they don't have a guy over 30 starting.

Pop wants to make sure Duncan retires with a ring on his thumb, and not overloading the roster with draft picks - but with guys fitting into and willing to learn Pop's system is the way forward.

Redshadows
06-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Sunday, they can agree in prinicipal but FA can't officially sign until July 11.
thanks