PDA

View Full Version : Missed Opportunities

Salty
06-29-2012, 12:54 AM
Not moving Blair is one.

like several other Spurs fans, I keep trying to tell myself that I could tolerate Blair more than Bonner but I see no reason why I should. Blair's a good guy, but so is Bonner. They both contribute during the regular season, but serve no purpose in the playoffs. Bonner's inability to contribute in the playoffs comes from being mentally weak, while Blair's inability to contribute stems from his physical limitations and his occasional all-Whataburger diets. In reality, both players thrive in the regular season and contribute nothing of value in the playoffs. It's an especially dangerous situation because they're both regularly relied on in our big man rotation.

I'm just slightly bummed over this draft. It's nothing major at all tbh, just a missed opportunity. We can always amnesty Bonner and maybe Blair can be traded later on down the road, but tonight was the best opportunity we had at a trade. Just not the best way to start the offseason imo.

At least we can focus on more pressing issues such as getting Duncan his new contract, resigning Green and Diaw, and finding a quality backup PG. Still, the Spurs were on the verge of playing for the championship this year; 2 wins away to be exact. A few tweeks here and there, one or two "what-ifs" and we would've been in the finals. There's NO ROOM for rotation players that can't contribute in the playoffs and there's NO ROOM for missed opportunities if we wanna get back to the same position we were in this year.

ElNono
06-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Maybe other teams decided to simply draft prospects with more height and ACLs than gamble on Blair.

MannyIsGod
06-29-2012, 01:15 AM
So what Blair trade did the Spurs pass on?

timvp
06-29-2012, 01:17 AM
Blair is a huge bargain so it would have been dumb to trade him just for the sake of trading him. I'm sure the Spurs could have gotten something for him but if it's not something useful (like a first rounder), why throw him away? At worst you have a very good fifth bigman who gets paid near the minimum.

Bonner was highly unlikely to be traded tonight. The time to start worrying about Bonner's status is if the amnesty period comes and goes . . .

Duncan2177
06-29-2012, 01:20 AM
A couple of things that concerns me is other teams will get better while we just stay put. This spurs team needs athleticism and size at the 4 and 5.It seems Pop doesn't like Splitter and doesn't play him to his full potential so whats the point of having him? And Manu is not the same anymore he was healthy in all the playoffs and didn't do much that is a big concern also and who knows if he will stay healthy next season. I don't know about Lorbek but hopefully he will be the answer but who knows.Just showing my concerns as a spurs fan that's all.

Spurs4#5
06-29-2012, 01:21 AM
I think ur overreacting...just because nlair and Bonner weren't traded doesn't mean they didn't try to and whether u or anybody else likes it Blair and Bonner for about 4 and half million together is a great price servicable big men to eat minutes in the regular season...the problem was never Bonner or Blair they're just everyone's scapgoat...and like u said we were just 2 wins away from the finals and we did that without major contributions from Bonner and Blair in the post season...when u say there's no room on the roster for people who can't contribute in the playoffs where do u exactly suppose we find the money to get a 12 man roster who will all contribute? And also all play in the playoffs in a rotation? What everyone will eventually do is bitch and moan about moves this organization does or doesn't do and when they start winning everyone will jump on the bandwagon and if it eventually all goes to hell everyone will bash this organization....but really I think it's most of the people in here are in denial about our dynasty coming to an end and falling into mediocre limbo

sananspursfan21
06-29-2012, 01:48 AM
A couple of things that concerns me is other teams will get better while we just stay put. This spurs team needs athleticism and size at the 4 and 5.It seems Pop doesn't like Splitter and doesn't play him to his full potential so whats the point of having him? And Manu is not the same anymore he was healthy in all the playoffs and didn't do much that is a big concern also and who knows if he will stay healthy next season. I don't know about Lorbek but hopefully he will be the answer but who knows.Just showing my concerns as a spurs fan that's all.

Would have really helped if the spurs drafted some height with their pick

spurraider21
06-29-2012, 01:54 AM
Did anybody really expect a big move in this draft? Nobody is going to give a good pick for guys like Bonner or Blair. Blair is making peanuts. Our best shot is to roll with the same team, bring back Diaw/Green and hopefully have Lorbek come over. THe big changes will come next offseason, where we will clear tons of space due to the big expiring contracts of Manu and Jax as well as Tiago. That is going to be the offseason that shapes the future of this team.

racm
06-29-2012, 01:55 AM
You're overblowing the issue.

Most of the time the penultimate pick in the NBA draft doesn't even end up on a roster, let alone the team that drafted them. Draft picks are also a crapshoot, though of course lottery picks will make more impact than second rounders.

Plus, the Spurs have a history of finding quality players everywhere. A borderline All-Star at the 15th pick, an All-Star at the 28th, an All-Star and a possible Hall of Famer at 57th, and the only team to pick top 3 and win a championship with those top 3 players (except Jason Kidd, but he bounced around before heading back to Dallas).

angelbelow
06-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Would you say that you're salty over these missed opportunities?

Andthentherewas21
06-29-2012, 02:25 AM
Blair is a huge bargain so it would have been dumb to trade him just for the sake of trading him. I'm sure the Spurs could have gotten something for him but if it's not something useful (like a first rounder), why throw him away? At worst you have a very good fifth bigman who gets paid near the minimum.

Bonner was highly unlikely to be traded tonight. The time to start worrying about Bonner's status is if the amnesty period comes and goes . . .

Completely agree on Blair. I think the problem with Bonner is he makes too much and produces too little to justify his contract (especially from March onward), but its not enough that getting him off the books allows you to do anything significant. Hopefully they can find a FA willing to come that necessitates amnestying Bonner.

Salty
06-29-2012, 03:16 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to RC, the FO came to the conclusion that they'd be better off keeping the roster intact without making a move.

Blair isn't trash. I agree it'd be nonsense to trade him for something such as a mid second-rounder, but it'd be perfectly logical trade him to get the team in a position where they can bring in a player that can contribute immediately in the regular season AND the postseason. If the Spurs simply couldn't find a trading partner in the first round, then I concede; although it's still a missed opportunity. If the Spurs didn't want to move a few pieces around, which they indicated was the case, then it's certainly a talking point. I heard Golden State was quite interested in him, did they simply decide to go a different direction? Did we take Blair off the block?

And I know Bonner is never gonna be traded. No one is gonna take a 3m/year contract for a bigman that shoots open 3's during the regular season. I'm highly optimistic about amnesty in his case.

I think ur overreacting...just because nlair and Bonner weren't traded doesn't mean they didn't try to and whether u or anybody else likes it Blair and Bonner for about 4 and half million together is a great price servicable big men to eat minutes in the regular season...the problem was never Bonner or Blair they're just everyone's scapgoat...and like u said we were just 2 wins away from the finals and we did that without major contributions from Bonner and Blair in the post season...when u say there's no room on the roster for people who can't contribute in the playoffs where do u exactly suppose we find the money to get a 12 man roster who will all contribute? And also all play in the playoffs in a rotation? What everyone will eventually do is bitch and moan about moves this organization does or doesn't do and when they start winning everyone will jump on the bandwagon and if it eventually all goes to hell everyone will bash this organization....but really I think it's most of the people in here are in denial about our dynasty coming to an end and falling into mediocre limbo

Again, I was talking solely about trading Blair. Sorry if I didn't make that clear, and my argument isn't that they don't serve purpose in the regular season. They're both good regular season workhorses, but the problem is that they become relied on throughout the course of the regular season when they can't be relied on in the postseason.

I'll admit that Pop was very smart in keeping Blair's postseason minutes very limited, so obviously I can't blame Blair for the WCF loss :lol but Bonner still recieved a fair amount of minutes throughout the postseason. He's the exhibit A when it comes to ROTATION players that can't be relied on postseason. Every team has its end-of-the-bench players that don't do anything all season, so I'm not talking about fielding a full 12 man roster where every player contributes. I'm simply talking about your regular season ROTATION players being able to contribute the same way in the postseason. Was Bonner the reason we lost the WCF? Of course not. Would it have helped to have a good defensive, rebounding big in place of Bonner? Probably.

I'm not bitching and moaning, just offering my two cents brah. I know all good things come to an end, but the window of opportunity hasn't closed just yet imo. Until it does, Spurs need to take advantage of every opportunity to improve their roster.

Did anybody really expect a big move in this draft? Nobody is going to give a good pick for guys like Bonner or Blair. Blair is making peanuts. Our best shot is to roll with the same team, bring back Diaw/Green and hopefully have Lorbek come over. THe big changes will come next offseason, where we will clear tons of space due to the big expiring contracts of Manu and Jax as well as Tiago. That is going to be the offseason that shapes the future of this team.

No one except dellusional Spurfan was expecting a big move by the Spurs in this draft. Call me dellusional if you'd like, but Blair had late 1st round/early 2nd round value imo. He's a known quantity and teams know what they're getting. Part of the problem is that he doesn't fit well here in SA anymore. He doesn't work well offensively with Tiago, and he's not starter material. What room does that leave him in the rotation? (Especially since Diaw arrived)

It's a small risk to trade away a player who has no value in the postseason to potentially get someone in return that can be a solid rotation player in the regular season and the postseason. Not asking for an allstar in return for Blair, just someone who can play effective postseason minutes.

Would you say that you're salty over these missed opportunities?

well played :D

Salty
06-29-2012, 03:18 AM
Anyone know when the amnesty clause deadline is? I think it's at the start of the regular season, but I'm not sure

ChumpDumper
06-29-2012, 03:22 AM
Did the trade deadline pass already?

Mel_13
06-29-2012, 03:54 AM
If the Spurs simply couldn't find a trading partner in the first round, then I concede; although it's still a missed opportunity.

I would disagree. In that situation, no opportunity for a fair exchange existed, so nothing was missed.

Anyone know when the amnesty clause deadline is? I think it's at the start of the regular season, but I'm not sure

July 11-17, 2012 is the window for using the amnesty provision for 2012-13 season.

venitian navigator
06-29-2012, 04:23 AM
Blair has been our starting five PF for quite all the season...and he played more than decently, with some games absolutely stunning. Imho, if we didn't receive at least a decent first round for him, we made the right choice in retaining him.

The point is that a lot FO are scared to trade with us simply just because they're afraid to be outsmarted by our FO...and, imho, they're wrong. In the FO job you just have to take the risk of the trade if you suppose it makes your team better (see Indiana with Hill).

Coming to us, we altready realized, when we made trades losing value just for economic reasons or roster space (see the Scola + Butler trade) that it never works...

Wild Cobra Kai
06-29-2012, 07:21 AM
My guess is that every phone call SA made last might was met with one word: Kawhi.

Fuck that shit. He's the goods.

Bruno
06-29-2012, 07:52 AM
True opportunities to do trades will be in July, not in June.

Thomas82
06-29-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm surprised they didn't offer Splitter in any potential trades, and make either Blair or Bonner part of the package.

Mel_13
06-29-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm surprised they didn't offer Splitter in any potential trades, and make either Blair or Bonner part of the package.

How do you know that they didn't?

DMC
06-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Most other teams could get twice as good and still not be near the Spurs. When you are that close to being tuned, there are few things you can do to improve enough to make a noticeable difference. The core group isn't changing, and that's the driving force for the Spurs.

I don't expect next year to end any differently than this year except that the Spurs might not get the same easy path to the WCF. They might still get there pending the eye thing.

racm
06-29-2012, 10:57 AM
The Spurs don't have a lot of leverage until free agency starts.

So the FO decided to do a low risk, good reward pick with Denmon - shopping Red Rocket, Dancing Bear and Nailgun can wait.

dbestpro
06-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Move him for a future pick. Those always seem more easy to get than day of draft.

wildbill2u
06-29-2012, 11:48 AM
I agree. I think the Spurs could have easily traded into the top 10 if Kawhi was part of the deal, team probably would have taken Bonner off the Spurs hands as well. But Hell no to that. He just finished 4th in the Rookies voting ballot, he really didn't start to come into his own until after the midway point of the season.

Spurs have a lottery pick player already in Lorbek. Seriously, Lorbek is a better post player than any player that was drafted last night at this point in time, and probably the best midrange jump shooter, where he shot 56% last year. De Colo could have easily been a late lottery pick or mid first round pick if he came out this year. He led his team to the Eurocup Championship and Runnerup two of his 3 years. And lead his team to the Semifinals in Liga last year, where he pour on 22pts and 7 ast and 3stls the last game of the season against Navarro.

I have to admit. The more you saw of the players drafted last night, the more I realize the Spurs really wouldn't have picked up anyone better than what they already had, unless they were drafting in the top 5.

Spot on! Our 2012 first round pick came last year as part of the Kwahi deal.

Lorbeck is probably coming over this year and although he wasn't the ostensible target of the trade for Kwahi last year, he's a veteran pro in Europe with proven abilities. Once you get past the top 10 picks in most drafts every remaining player is a gamble so Lorbeck may be the best new player we can acquire for the front line.

thispego
06-29-2012, 12:11 PM
I guess it's funny to say over and over that Blair gorges on whataburger? I don't really get it, he's always been in pretty good shape from what I can tell. Obviously only fat people are making this joke, I guess obesity loves company. :rolleyes

Salty
06-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Spot on! Our 2012 first round pick came last year as part of the Kwahi deal.

Lorbeck is probably coming over this year and although he wasn't the ostensible target of the trade for Kwahi last year, he's a veteran pro in Europe with proven abilities. Once you get past the top 10 picks in most drafts every remaining player is a gamble so Lorbeck may be the best new player we can acquire for the front line.

I wouldn't expect Lorbek to come over just yet. CSKA Moscow is still after him and they're probably gonna offer him a bigger contract than the Spurs can due to rookie salary restrictions. Still, he is 28 and this is probably his last chance to come to the NBA so nothing is certain. I know the guy can shoot, so it'll probably be bye-bye Bonner if Lorbek joins the Spurs.

rr2418
06-29-2012, 04:11 PM
The Spurs don't have a lot of leverage until free agency starts.

So the FO decided to do a low risk, good reward pick with Denmon - shopping Red Rocket, Dancing Bear and Nailgun can wait.

Who's nailgun?

tesseractive
06-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Move him for a future pick. Those always seem more easy to get than day of draft.
You tend to get draft day trades when teams look over who's still available and don't see anyone who can help them. This was considered a deep draft, so teams were all starry-eyed about the possibilities of the players they could draft, and mostly only traded down when they could drive a hard bargain. So if there's no value there, there's no value there.

Maybe we can pick up future picks, maybe we can make trades this summer.

Worst case, we go into the season and spend some time showcasing Bonner, Blair, Neal, etc., and try to raise their value so that we can ship them off for something useful at the trade deadline. It's a lot easier trying to trade someone who's in the rotation and doing something useful than it is to trade a guy who's buried on your bench and can't earn any minutes.

maverick1948
06-29-2012, 07:03 PM

Amnesty period this season is July 11 until July 17. Guess we will know something by then about Lorbek and Bonner.