PDA

View Full Version : Despite a disappointing draft night..

Roger Freemason Jr.
06-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Watching last night's draft, I grew more & more disappointed
watching other teams add talent (especially watching PJ3 go to
the Thunder).

By the end of the first round, I knew the Spurs were going to either
pick a combo guard, or an undersized 2 guard. Marcus Denmon did average 18 ppg for Mizzou last season, but it's painfully apparent that his size will restrict him (unless he somehow transforms into a decent PG, doubtful).

Although it was an uneventful draft for SA, I'm still excited.
Kawhi will actually have a training camp, & will develop immensely.
The Spurs extended some QO's to Green & Mills, two players I felt
the Spurs absolutely needed to bring back.

With a training camp, Mills too will be integrated into the system,
as well as Diaw (if staying) & Jackson. The team will grow, Diaw & Stak
came in and played their own individual games, without really knowing the
system, but even then, they were steady contributers, especially Diaw on defense.

I say '12-'13 will be another year that people sleep on the Spurs,
but I feel that this next time around, the Spurs will be in the Finals.

So in hindsight, trading away our pick for Jackson was great.
Would you rather have Jefferson & Festus? I think not.
Have a good day.

Russ
06-29-2012, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't call the draft disappointing, just uneventful.

And off season moves are just beginning.

Drz
06-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Watching last night's draft, I grew more & more disappointed
watching other forum posters' lack of understanding (especially watching
people who seem to not realize we only have the 59th pick).

By the end of the first round, I knew the posters were going to either
whine about not drafting a lottery-caliber player, or about not trading DeJuan Blair. Marcus Denmon did average 18 ppg for Mizzou last season, but it's painfully apparent that it doesn't matter because the posters here complain about everything (unless it's about getting a player who'll replace Bonner, Blair, or Jefferson).

Have a good day.

dunkman
06-29-2012, 08:56 AM
They Spurs could add Lorbek in the off-season, the firstrounder had to be shipped to get out of RJ's contract. Lorbek is older than a rookie, but on the other hand in his prime and very talented.

CGD
06-29-2012, 09:01 AM
We had the 59th pick in the draft. Some people here had ridiculous expectations that the Spurs would make another George Hill-type move (and that every draft going forward that's going to be the norm), while simultaneously wearing rose-tinted glasses when "valuing" trade assets like Blair and Neal. I'm not saying that they don't have value, but seriously, Blair + Neal for the Warrior's 7th pick?

What happened yesterday is no surprise. Let's move on. Free agency is about to start.

NickiRasgo
06-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Maybe that 59th Pick, Denmon is a sign that Blair + Neal will be traded for a big man?

racm
06-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Maybe that 59th Pick, Denmon is a sign that Blair + Neal will be traded for a big man?

Neal certainly looks the most expendable. Denmon has nearly everything Neal has, but with better D (think Avery Bradley).

Blair is also very shoppable for an undersized power forward with no ACLs - but who amazingly managed to play in most games in his career so far. Averaging 9 and 6 while playing relatively limited minutes is very good for a guy drafted in the second round.

DrSteffo
06-29-2012, 12:27 PM
A 59th pick is no sign of anything at all.

Harry Callahan
06-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Dallas radio idiots are too much sometimes.

R.J. Choppi from 105.3 the fan said in response to another host saying the Mavies cannot draft in the late first early second like the Spurs that Sam Presti was the one who did all that stuff. Sam left in 2007. Splitter, Hill, Blair, Leonard (not to mention Neal) were all rotation players for the Spurs in recent years.

Dallas has not drafted well at all for a long long time. Devin Harris, Dirk, and Josh Howard are the only notable draftees for them in the last 14-15 years. That stinks.

Even with their fluke title, the Spurs envy up here does not go away easily.

BTW Choppi is a no talent New Jersey blowhard.

Mr. Body
06-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Dallas radio idiots are too much sometimes.

R.J. Choppi from 105.3 the fan said in response to another host saying the Mavies cannot draft in the late first early second like the Spurs that Sam Presti was the one who did all that stuff. Sam left in 2007. Splitter, Hill, Blair, Leonard (not to mention Neal) were all rotation players for the Spurs in recent years.

Dallas has not drafted well at all for a long long time. Devin Harris, Dirk, and Josh Howard are the only notable draftees for them in the last 14-15 years. That stinks.

Even with their fluke title, the Spurs envy up here does not go away easily.

BTW Choppi is a no talent New Jersey blowhard.

During the draft ESPN posted that of Dallas's last 35 draft picks, none of them are currently on the team.

yavozerb
06-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Do not watch the draft if it bothers you guys so much...Other than last season, when is draft night considered a must watch by spurs fans..

Sean Cagney
06-29-2012, 04:56 PM
What the hell did some think was going to happen with the 59th pick? A superstar? Barring a trade up which did not happen what else could they have gotten to help out with the team next year that late? Thats rare.
Do not watch the draft if it bothers you guys so much...Other than last season, when is draft night considered a must watch by spurs fans..

Exactly.

racm
06-29-2012, 09:10 PM
What the hell did some think was going to happen with the 59th pick? A superstar? Barring a trade up which did not happen what else could they have gotten to help out with the team next year that late? Thats rare.

Exactly.

Spurs fans getting spoiled by Manu and the whole Hill for Leonard deal tbh

AFBlue
06-29-2012, 10:28 PM
That draft was definitely disappointing, not just uneventful. When you consider the Spurs will need to continue to get younger and the next draft is supposedly going to rival 2000 for its dearth of talent, this was a prime opportunity to continue adding young depth.

I trust the FO didn't have the resources to get the players(s) they coveted, but that doesn't make it less disappointing. Hopefully the Spurs are able to retain some of their quality depth from last season and add a piece or two in FA to make up for it.