PDA

View Full Version : Batum and Portland not on the same page

SpurPadre
06-29-2012, 06:58 PM
http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?Batums-agent-requested-Olshey-not-contac=1&blockID=732842&feedID=5212

Is there no way in hell we can do a sign and trade for him to play SG? Excuse my ignorance, but can we deal restricted a FA of our own in Green as part of a package to get Batum? Package would be Green, Neal, Bonner for Batum?

Mel_13
06-29-2012, 07:02 PM
http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?Batums-agent-requested-Olshey-not-contac=1&blockID=732842&feedID=5212

Is there no way in hell we can do a sign and trade for him to play SG? Excuse my ignorance, but can we deal restricted a FA of our own in Green as part of a package to get Batum? Package would be Green, Neal, Bonner for Batum?

Why would Portland make that trade?

tomtom
06-29-2012, 07:03 PM
:lol

elemento
06-29-2012, 07:08 PM
POR must have low-balled Batum badly :lol

BackHome
06-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Well he can do what most players do and cry and say let them go or trade them to a team or they won't play/or become a cancer in the locker room.

baseline bum
06-29-2012, 07:15 PM
No way I want Batum for the money he'll be asking when Leonard is already here cheaply. The Spurs need a 4 and a backup PG.

yavozerb
06-29-2012, 07:16 PM
All the trailblazers did was use there qualifying offer. OF course Batum considers it too low, but the Blazers have all the momentum in talks and might not even make an offer till other teams start to make there own..Tough luck for Batum...

Bruno
06-29-2012, 07:21 PM
There are for sure some drama around Batum new contract.

The main reason for that drama is that it's the first time Batum's agent is negotiating a big contract. He knows that if he can get Batum a fat contract, it will open him the door to become a significant NBA agent. Batum's agent is going to fight hard to get the most money because his career as an agent is in play.

Bruno
06-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Reports from France is that Batum draws a lot of interest. Timberwolves and Hornets are among teams interested in him and they have the capspace. If Blazers don't want to offer him a big contract, they will likely have to decide whether or not to match a big offer he will receive. I can really see a team like Hornets giving Batum tons of money.

SpurPadre
06-29-2012, 07:51 PM
No way I want Batum for the money he'll be asking when Leonard is already here cheaply. The Spurs need a 4 and a backup PG.

Yeah? Ok who do you think will be the SG when Manu retires? Don't you think we'll need to address that ASAP?

Mel_13
06-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Yeah? Ok who do you think will be the SG when Manu retires? Don't you think we'll need to address that ASAP?

Doesn't matter. Don't have the cap space to bid on Batum and a trade like the one you suggest has no chance of becoming reality.

SpurPadre
06-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Doesn't matter. Don't have the cap space to bid on Batum and a trade like the one you suggest has no chance of becoming reality.

I just remember TP clearly being on record saying we had a chance to get him in the offseason. Of course, he's not running things but why would he say that if the team has zero chance in getting him like many here think?

Mel_13
06-29-2012, 08:00 PM
I just remember TP clearly being on record saying we had a chance to get him in the offseason. Of course, he's not running things but why would he say that if the team has zero chance in getting him like many here think?

Ask Tony.

Fact is, we don't have the cap space to make an offer to Batum.

CitizenDwayne
06-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Agreed.

Regardless of what Parker says, it's delusional to think Spurs land Batum, and anyway, why not just work on Leonard's game instead of acquiring someone else to fill the same role? The Spurs have several off-season priorities, this isn't one of them

T Park
06-29-2012, 08:06 PM

Why would Portland make that trade?

SpurPadre
06-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Agreed.

Regardless of what Parker says, it's delusional to think Spurs land Batum, and anyway, why not just work on Leonard's game instead of acquiring someone else to fill the same role? The Spurs have several off-season priorities, this isn't one of them

Ok fair enough on Batum being a pipe dream but why do people constantly assume Batum can only play the 3? He played SEVERAL games at the 2 for the Blazers and in international play. And having Kawhi and Batum as a one-two punch is not a detriment to a team. The Spurs do have several off-season priorities, and getting an athlete with huge upside like Batum IS one of them.

Andthentherewas21
06-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Ok fair enough on Batum being a pipe dream but why do people constantly assume Batum can only play the 3? He played SEVERAL games at the 2 for the Blazers and in international play. And having Kawhi and Batum as a one-two punch is not a detriment to a team. The Spurs do have several off-season priorities, and getting an athlete with huge upside like Batum IS one of them.

It is, but its a lot lower on the list than things like getting a starting caliber PF, or someone to patrol the paint when Duncan is on the bench. Given the limited assets the Spurs have and the areas where they are weakest, it doesn't make a ton of sense to use those limited resources on a position where they are competitive with most of the league.

SpurPadre
06-29-2012, 09:20 PM
It is, but its a lot lower on the list than things like getting a starting caliber PF, or someone to patrol the paint when Duncan is on the bench. Given the limited assets the Spurs have and the areas where they are weakest, it doesn't make a ton of sense to use those limited resources on a position where they are competitive with most of the league.

Lack of bigs wasn't the main reason why we lost to the Thunder. The main reason was that they outgunned us and had more athletes than we had. Replace Green with Batum and we easily would've won that series. Besting the Thunder is all that should matter to the Spurs right now. And what starting caliber PF is accessible to us right now? Lorbek? A rookie who will be 29 next season in his rookie season?

racm
06-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Lack of bigs wasn't the main reason why we lost to the Thunder. The main reason was that they outgunned us and had more athletes than we had. Replace Green with Batum and we easily would've won that series. Besting the Thunder is all that should matter to the Spurs right now. And what starting caliber PF is accessible to us right now? Lorbek? A rookie who will be 29 next season in his rookie season?

The problem was that Pop panicked and threw Manu into the starting lineup when it was clear the Thunder were hitting all the shots the Spurs gave up (i.e., midrange jumpers, which Pop determines as the least efficient shot) and the guys not named Leonard or Jackson were hitting a cold spell due to streakiness (Green) illness (Neal) or typical playoff choking (Bonner).

Also, would turning the Spurs into the French national team short of trading for Kevin Seraphin or Joakim Noah really be the answer?

BackHome
06-29-2012, 10:18 PM

ADAM HANGA...........THAT IS RIGHT I SAID IT........:hat

AFBlue
06-29-2012, 10:19 PM
This is like the 10th Batum thread of the offseason and they all reach the same conclusion.

The only way the Spurs have a shot at him this summer is if Duncan and Ginobili both retire, the Spurs pony up big money, and the Blazers decide not to match. The only other scenario is that he signs the one-year tender, declines long-term offers from other teams this season, and the Spurs make a run at him next season as an unrestricted free agent.

I guess either of those could play out, but neither is likely.

BackHome
06-29-2012, 10:21 PM

We lost because we don't have guys who can dribble the freakin ball. We are a jump shooting three point team. They just stepped out and we could not dribble the ball without turning it over. Also we could not come close to replacing Parker or Duncan when they went out of the game.

Ps. Batum sucks.

Duncan2177
06-29-2012, 10:42 PM
We lost because we don't have guys who can dribble the freakin ball. We are a jump shooting three point team. They just stepped out and we could not dribble the ball without turning it over. Also we could not come close to replacing Parker or Duncan when they went out of the game.

Ps. Batum sucks.

Batum sucks? Are you kidding? The kid has a shitload of potential.

Ditty
06-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Batum wants to come to SA

The best option would for him to sign the qualifying offer, and sign with us next summer. If Batum comes for $8-10 million a year, then I'll take him. Leonard and Batum SF & SG duo would be a pretty dang good start to rebuild.

SpurPadre
06-29-2012, 10:52 PM
The problem was that Pop panicked and threw Manu into the starting lineup when it was clear the Thunder were hitting all the shots the Spurs gave up (i.e., midrange jumpers, which Pop determines as the least efficient shot) and the guys not named Leonard or Jackson were hitting a cold spell due to streakiness (Green) illness (Neal) or typical playoff choking (Bonner).

Also, would turning the Spurs into the French national team short of trading for Kevin Seraphin or Joakim Noah really be the answer?

So now we're knocking players because of their nationality? What kind of reasoning is that? If a player is good, he's freaking good. Oh, and having Manu as a starter is NOT a problem. Since when is it a problem to start a Hall of Fame player? Especially when the guy he was replacing turned to a deer-in-headlights when the going got rough?

Duncan2177
06-29-2012, 10:53 PM

The best option would for him to sign the qualifying offer, and sign with us next summer. If Batum comes for $8-10 million a year, then I'll take him. Leonard and Batum SF & SG duo would be a pretty dang good start to rebuild.
Yea did Batum say he wanted to play with the spurs? And If him and Parker are friends he just might.

AFBlue
06-29-2012, 10:54 PM

Passing up on $8-10M isn't an easy thing for someone to do, no matter how much they want to play for a particular team.

SpurPadre
06-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Passing up on $8-10M isn't an easy thing for someone to do, no matter how much they want to play for a particular team.

That's why I'm calling for a sign and trade deal. We give up multiple players to get him...thing is, would Portland take the bait? I'd give up Neal, Blair, and Green for him. I'd even throw in Splitter and two of the others for him.

AFBlue
06-29-2012, 11:11 PM
That's why I'm calling for a sign and trade deal. We give up multiple players to get him...thing is, would Portland take the bait? I'd give up Neal, Blair, and Green for him. I'd even throw in Splitter and two of the others for him.

Highly, highly doubtful. None of those players outside of maybe Splitter are starting-caliber, which is what they'd lose in Batum. Quantity doesn't necessarily equal quality.

Ditty
06-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Yea did Batum say he wanted to play with the spurs? And If him and Parker are friends he just might.

It seems to be written on the wall for quite a while, since he was supposed to be drafted by us but of course he isn't going to say it. Some fans from other teams have also noticed the relationship.

Ditty
06-29-2012, 11:18 PM

Well goodluck to the team who pays him $13 million a year unless he improves being a shot creator gradually

racm
06-30-2012, 03:17 AM
S&T Green/Bonner/Blair for Batum?

This could backfire if the Spurs meet the Blazers in the playoffs and Green scores 25 in a quarter.

temujin
06-30-2012, 04:04 AM
batum is soft.
I wouldn't trade Green for him.
Much less pay him 8 frigging M

racm
06-30-2012, 05:51 AM
batum is soft.
I wouldn't trade Green for him.
Much less pay him 8 frigging M

Is he as good a defender as Green is?

Hoops Czar
06-30-2012, 07:51 AM
S&T Green/Bonner/Blair for Batum?

This could backfire if the Spurs meet the Blazers in the playoffs and Green scores 25 in a quarter.

People in here with cavier tastes, but a tunafish wallet. Spurs can't afford to sign Batum. And even worse, what would ever possess Portland to S&T Batum for three marginal scrubs with little to no upside? Why is it that Spurs fans feel as if their garbage is everybody else's treasure? Two of those players would barely scratch the back end of the rotation and Green, who plays well within the system in SA would probably be marginal at best in Portland. Green is so overrated amongst Spurs fans in this forum, it isn't even funny.

elemento
06-30-2012, 09:48 AM
To be fair with Green, Portland fans also overrate Batum a lot and it's even funny. He has been the new Pippen for the last 4 seasons and for a career 10/4 guy i would never pay 10m/year.

As for all the talk of lock-down defender, Batum was among the top 5 worst defenders in the league according to synergy last year. He may have to defend the best perimeter players in the league, but so does Lebron, Iggy and Tony Allen and they're always among the best perimeter defenders in the NBA.

Most Spurs fans think that what the neighbor has is always better than what we have, but that's not true most of the time.

Mark in Austin
06-30-2012, 09:52 AM
based on last season, Leonard > Batum

racm
06-30-2012, 10:25 AM
based on last season, Leonard > Batum

Has Batum ever held Durant to 22 points?

TBH I think the Batum contingent are those folk who would like to turn the Spurs into the French national team short of S&Ting Duncan for Seraphin or Noah.

yavozerb
06-30-2012, 10:49 AM
TBH I think the Batum contingent are those folk who would like to turn the Spurs into the French national team short of S&Ting Duncan for Seraphin or Noah.

:lol, do you really think Leonard was the reason for this by himself? What happened in the other 5 games then?:lol

SpurPadre
06-30-2012, 11:24 AM

So, you're knocking players because of where they come from? They can come from a shithole in Antarctica for all I care as long as they can ball.

BackHome
06-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Batum sucks? Are you kidding? The kid has a shitload of potential.

I will take great or good right now then I would someone with Potential....Every time I hear the word potential I think of bust.........sorry but he can play the game but is not a basketball player.

SpurPadre
06-30-2012, 11:34 AM
I will take great or good right now then I would someone with Potential....Every time I hear the word potential I think of bust.........sorry but he can play the game but is not a basketball player.

So are you insinuating Green is great or good AND better than Batum? If you are, what are you smoking and can I have some?

ginobili fan
06-30-2012, 11:39 AM
let batum work under pop and he'll be a monster0

CGD
06-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Batum strikes me as mentally soft, or worse, uninterested at key times. He hasn't had the opportunity to choke BC the blazers haven't made a significant playoff run, but I just get the feeling he'd shrink in the big moment. Portland can have him to pair along their other mentally soft player lamarcus Aldridge

Josepatches_
06-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Na,Batum isn't a SG. He could play some minutes but I can't imagine him guarding players like Wade,Bryant,Harden.... every play . And he's not Durant to surpass them with his size and dribbling in the other end.

Last year it would be different but now we have Leonard. So unless we want to play Leonard at 4 Batum is not a priority

Spurs da champs
06-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Na,Batum isn't a SG. He could play some minutes but I can't imagine him guarding players like Wade,Bryant,Harden.... every play . And he's not Durant to surpass them with his size and dribbling in the other end.

Last year it would be different but now we have Leonard. So unless we want to play Leonard at 4 Batum is not a priority

Leonard showed he could play some 2 guard last season. And as far as I'm concerned Batum>Green.

racm
06-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Batum strikes me as mentally soft, or worse, uninterested at key times. He hasn't had the opportunity to choke BC the blazers haven't made a significant playoff run, but I just get the feeling he'd shrink in the big moment. Portland can have him to pair along their other mentally soft player lamarcus Aldridge

How many playoff series has he won again?

Leonard showed he could play some 2 guard last season. And as far as I'm concerned Batum>Green.

Eh, in Pop's system there's no difference in how a 2 and 3 work, except if the wing is named Manu.

BackHome
06-30-2012, 08:24 PM
So are you insinuating Green is great or good AND better than Batum? If you are, what are you smoking and can I have some?

No you can not have what I am smoking cause it is the good stuff.:greedy As far as Green he should be a HELL of A LOT cheaper then Batum's who is HIGHLY overrated.

BatManu20
06-30-2012, 09:43 PM
We can't afford Batum for the type of money he's going to ask for. Move on.

therealtruth
07-01-2012, 12:51 AM
We can't afford Batum for the type of money he's going to ask for. Move on.

DMC
07-01-2012, 01:04 AM
Portland is paying like 8 crippled ex-players. Batum has to get in line.

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2012, 05:56 AM
wolves just gave him a offer of 40-50m/4yr deal....lmao no way his worth that much let alone anything

yavozerb
07-01-2012, 07:32 AM
http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?Batum-has-offer-from-Minnesota-and-meeti=1&blockID=733614&feedID=5212&
10-12 mil per year offers already according to site for Batum :wow. Can we please close this thread now...

Kidd K
07-01-2012, 01:49 PM
I would've liked Batum a lot LAST year. . .but I don't know if we're able to sign him now. We need to re-sign Diaw too. . .I would say that's more important than adding to the team.

Adding Batum (over Green) also adds 5-7 mil to the team salary, which just about sends them into the tax, doesn't it?

Though tbh, I did look up how much money the Spurs make, and they're the 7th most profitable team in the NBA in terms of income to expense ratio (and close to being #5). So they could certainly be spending more and still be well into the black.

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Source says Nic Batum wants no part of the Trail Blazers

Nic Batum does not want to return to the Portland Trail Blazers, according to an NBA source close to the situation.

Batum, a free agent who visited the Minnesota Timberwolves this week, is said to have told the Blazers Tuesday that he does not want to return to the team under any circumstances.

Minnesota has reportedly offered Batum $45 million over four seasons but is said to be willing to negotiate a sign-and-trade deal with the Trail Blazers for a package that might include players and future draft choices. Batum's agent tried to negotiate a contract extension during the season but believes the team low-balled him with an offer estimated around $6 million.

"Batum never wants to play in Portland again," the source said. "And has determined that Minnesota is the best for him and his family."

Apparently he has a relationship with Wolves point guard Rickey Rubio and while in Minnesota this week developed a relationship with the team's coach, Rick Adelman.

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingdwight?Source-says-Nic-Batum-wants-no-part-of-t=1&blockID=735074&feedID=8351

BackHome
07-04-2012, 12:33 PM
The curse on the Blazers strikes again...

benefactor
07-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Jason Quick ‏@jwquick
Blazers just complete meeting w/Batum and agent in downtown Portland and say they will match any offer and will not engage in sign-and-trade

DPG21920
07-05-2012, 05:35 PM
:lol Max offer time to test that theory

Vic Petro
07-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Seriously this thread is NBA forum material. Has nothing to do with the Spurs anymore (and really never did).

AFBlue
07-05-2012, 06:45 PM
:lol Max offer time to test that theory

Based on how this free agency period has played out thus far, a max offer for Batum wouldn't surprise me.

Big P
07-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Seriously this thread is NBA forum material. Has nothing to do with the Spurs anymore (and really never did).

Like the nash to lakers thread?

It happens, it's the off season...things like this are discussed..even in the Spurs forum.

SpurPadre
07-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Like the nash to lakers thread?

It happens, it's the off season...things like this are discussed..even in the Spurs forum.

It also happens when your team sits on its ass with only a 59th pick of another undersized player to show for it while everybody else is wheeling and dealing like there is no tomorrow.

Dex
07-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Jason Quick ‏@jwquick
Blazers just complete meeting w/Batum and agent in downtown Portland and say they will match any offer and will not engage in sign-and-trade

:lmao Only the Blazers. More money than common sense.

racm
07-05-2012, 11:54 PM
It also happens when your team sits on its ass with only a 59th pick of another undersized player to show for it while everybody else is wheeling and dealing like there is no tomorrow.

Would you seriously go after FAs if 1. you're in cap-space hell and all you have is the MLE and 2. it would be wiser to get the gang together again instead of risking a bad fit player a la Richard Jefferson?

Hoops Czar
07-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Would you seriously go after FAs if 1. you're in cap-space hell and all you have is the MLE and 2. it would be wiser to get the gang together again instead of risking a bad fit player a la Richard Jefferson?

That was a risk the franchise took when they signed RJ. A colossel mistake like that has made the organization cautious saavy when dealing with free agents on the open market and in trade proposals. The Spurs are in a state of mind where they flat out refuse to take any risks for fear they'll get "Richard Jeffersoned".

The Spurs won't be making a splash this offseason until all the major players are off the board and most team's roster's are complete. Then they'll go dumpster diving to pick over any remaining stragglers that no other team wanted.

And when they can help themselves like amnesting Matt Bonner, they won't because ethical/moral principles and out of pocket costs overrides fufilling team needs and shoring up weaknesses.

benefactor
07-06-2012, 04:52 AM
So you watched them do nothing in person?

temujin
07-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Blazers did the rest of the league a big favour trying to keep this softy.
Minnesota is doing the Blazers an even bigger favour. >40 M for this guy.

:lol

No matter how stupid you look, there is always one who is more stupid.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-06-2012, 07:19 AM
If Batum really wants out, there is any easy way. Accept the QO and leave next summer. Plenty of teams will have money, and he will be unrestricted.

elemento
07-06-2012, 07:29 AM
45m contract to Nicolas Batum

Teams are insane this off-season. Role players getting a shit load of money.

Mel_13
07-06-2012, 09:11 AM
If Batum really wants out, there is any easy way. Accept the QO and leave next summer. Plenty of teams will have money, and he will be unrestricted.

+1

All these guys that bitch and moan about where they play, and where they want to play, have complete control of their futures. Just play out your contract and go where you want to go!

tesseractive
07-06-2012, 01:38 PM
So you watched them do nothing in person?
They're not making hyped signing announcements right now like the teams that are willing to overpay for players are doing, therefore they're doing nothing.

Q.E.D., tbh

SpurPadre
07-06-2012, 06:21 PM
They're not making hyped signing announcements right now like the teams that are willing to overpay for players are doing, therefore they're doing nothing.

Q.E.D., tbh

So, in your world, what have the Spurs done so far at this point in the offseason? I'm not saying they won't do anything but at THIS point, they haven't...unless you see something they've done that no one else sees.

Mel_13
07-08-2012, 07:08 PM
For those interested, good article on l'affaire Batum:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2012/07/canzano_nicolas_batum_is_doing.html