PDA

View Full Version : Spurs 2012-13 offseason roster thread

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2012, 09:23 PM
So, Mills is testing the market, no news on Diaw.

I'm pretty bummed that Mills didn't decide to stick around - I think he could be just the spark we need at PG off the bench. He can score in bunches, has quickness and is a willing defender, and is a great team mate. I hope no-one wants him and we can pick him up.

As for Diaw, anyone know what's going on there? I for one would love to see him re-sign here, although of course pricetag is the issue with rumours of the Spurs wanting to bring Lorbek over.

Apparently Grizz is being shopped - it'll be interesting to see what teams offer for him. It'd be nice if we could acquire a defensive big for when Timmy rests.

People saying Splitter should be traded need their head checked - it wasn't his fault we lost to OKC, and overall he played a fine season. He's just entering NBA maturity now and I look forward to a strong next season from him.

As for Bonner, gotta go. Always disappears when he's needed most. Such a pity, because he's a great regular season player and seems like a nice guy.

Oh, and my prediction for Timmy's contract is 2yrs 24mil, or he might go old skool and take exactly what DRob did, 2yrs 20mil.

racm
06-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Diaw looks to be resigning. Tony did say he was looking for a long-term SA residence.

Blair/Bonner can be packaged in a deal to provide cap relief - and enough room to sign Lorbek, cap holds aside.

Timmeh is in "one for the thumb" mode, so he won't go into overpriced Kobe mode.

Mills wants to test free agency, but the beauty of restricted free agency is that the Spurs can set his value - if a team wants to overpay for a 2nd string instant offense PG then so be it, but if not he can stay.

Splitter was amazing in Game 1 of the WCF, airball free throws aside. Sure he's not as super consistent as Kawhi but this is the first season he got significant PT - and he posted a top 10 PER for centers.

spurs10
06-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Yes Diaw should be a priority. Hopefully Lorbek will work out. Blair or Bonner will probably stay to be the 5th big.

pad300
06-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Our key to improving in this offseason is either a trade or sign and trade deal for a big man available.

I believe that Tim will resign, likely for 2 years. Dollar figures will be sufficient that we will not have cap space beyond the MLE.

We will either re-sign Green or have him play on his QO. I personally lean towards re-sign, preferably for ~9 million/3years. We have also made a QO to Mills, but I am not sure if he takes it... Anderson is gone.

I suspect that we can get Diaw and Lorbek into the MLE. Financial conditions in Europe lead me to believe that Lorbek will not get a huge offer there. I think Diaw's history (of losing focus & fitness when paid) and known play habits (passing up scoring opportunities) will result in him not drawing a large offer from another team.

I think we can and will get de Colo for the LLE. I think that Denmon has a shot at making the roster.

which leaves us looking like this:

C: Duncan, Tiago
PF: Diaw, Lorbek, Bonner, Blair
SF: Kawhi, Jackson, Byars
SG: Green, Manu, Denmon, Neal
PG: TP, De Colo, (maybe) Mills, CJo

we will have to drop at least 2 players to fit in the 15 man limit, and I suspect that we will drop more. It is clear that our bigs as a group are lacking athleticism; we will try and move a combination of Blair, Bonner, Byars, Neal and CJo for a big.

The key to actually improving our roster is how good a trade we can make.

IMO, targets should include S&T's for either Illyasova or Garnett. For either of those two, offers may well include our 2013 1st round pick. The offer should look like Blair, Bonner, Neal, Byars (unguaranteed) and CJo plus Spurs 2013 1st for Garnett/Illyasova in a S&T. This would allow incoming salary to approach $8 Million. Garnett should be offered a contract that is as long as Tim's. Illaysova on the other hand should be offered a full 4 years.

This would result in roster that looks like:
PF:Garnett, Diaw, Lorbek
SF: Kawhi, Jackson,
SG: Green, Manu, Denmon,
PG: TP, De Colo, Mills or vet min PG

Such a roster would challenge for a title.

racm
06-30-2012, 03:15 AM
KG will either retire or re-sign with Boston.

AussieFanKurt
06-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Mills isn't resigning

racm
06-30-2012, 10:23 AM
In that case the Denmon drafting and CoJo still on the roster make sense.

Mel_13
06-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Mills isn't resigning

Mills is a restricted free agent. Spurs have already tendered the required qualifying offer.

SPURSCHAMP
06-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Our key to improving in this offseason is either a trade or sign and trade deal for a big man available.

I believe that Tim will resign, likely for 2 years. Dollar figures will be sufficient that we will not have cap space beyond the MLE.

We will either re-sign Green or have him play on his QO. I personally lean towards re-sign, preferably for ~9 million/3years. We have also made a QO to Mills, but I am not sure if he takes it... Anderson is gone.

I suspect that we can get Diaw and Lorbek into the MLE. Financial conditions in Europe lead me to believe that Lorbek will not get a huge offer there. I think Diaw's history (of losing focus & fitness when paid) and known play habits (passing up scoring opportunities) will result in him not drawing a large offer from another team.

I think we can and will get de Colo for the LLE. I think that Denmon has a shot at making the roster.

which leaves us looking like this:

PF: Diaw, Lorbek, Bonner, Blair
SF: Kawhi, Jackson, Byars
SG: Green, Manu, Denmon, Neal
PG: TP, De Colo, (maybe) Mills, CJo

we will have to drop at least 2 players to fit in the 15 man limit, and I suspect that we will drop more. It is clear that our bigs as a group are lacking athleticism; we will try and move a combination of Blair, Bonner, Byars, Neal and CJo for a big.

The key to actually improving our roster is how good a trade we can make.

IMO, targets should include S&T's for either Illyasova or Garnett. For either of those two, offers may well include our 2013 1st round pick. The offer should look like Blair, Bonner, Neal, Byars (unguaranteed) and CJo plus Spurs 2013 1st for Garnett/Illyasova in a S&T. This would allow incoming salary to approach $8 Million. Garnett should be offered a contract that is as long as Tim's. Illaysova on the other hand should be offered a full 4 years.

This would result in roster that looks like:
PF:Garnett, Diaw, Lorbek
SF: Kawhi, Jackson,
SG: Green, Manu, Denmon,
PG: TP, De Colo, Mills or vet min PG

Such a roster would challenge for a title.

What makes you think our trash is their treasure? Blair bonner Neal byars cojo and a first for Garnett or illyasova :rollin marginal rotation players and a really late first for a high potential illyasova or a still high production Garnett. If you're going to get quality you have to give quality not the turd towers byars cojo and a late first. You can't have steak and lobster for 1 or 2 dollars

baseline bum
06-30-2012, 02:20 PM
I really want Diaw and Green back and Bonner cut. Lorbek is an unknown, so I want him replacing the redhead and not Boris. Blair's contract is too small to net anything in trade, so I'd rather keep him for another year and then likely wave goodbye next summer when he can get a long-term deal from someone. Not sure which way I swing on Mills vs Neal yet, but can't see them both here next year. Splitter is only tradeable if he can be combined with another player or two for a big upgrade in the frontcourt.

Bruno
06-30-2012, 02:44 PM
If another team is really interested in Mills, Spurs will have a hard time keeping him. Spurs don't have bird rights or early bird rights on him so they will need to use part of the MLE/LLE to match good offers. Spurs might want to use their exceptions on other needs like adding a good bigman.

Brazil
06-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Garnett is resigning with the Celts

pad300
06-30-2012, 05:17 PM
What makes you think our trash is their treasure? Blair bonner Neal byars cojo and a first for Garnett or illyasova :rollin marginal rotation players and a really late first for a high potential illyasova or a still high production Garnett. If you're going to get quality you have to give quality not the turd towers byars cojo and a late first. You can't have steak and lobster for 1 or 2 dollars

You clearly don't understand the situation. Both those guys are in a position to just walk. Right now, if they don't re-sign, the only way Milwaukee or Boston get jack is by sign and trade.

For a sign and trade, it has to make sense for 3 parties. The player, the signing team (SAS) and the players former team (MIL/BOS).

A S&T makes sense for SAS, as they get to improve their roster, and won't screw their salary cap position.

For the player, moving to SAS means a championship shot or two, which neither Garnett nor Illyasova will get where they are. A S&T makes sense for them as it gets them potentially more salary than the MLE, and a position where they get championship shots.

For the former team, to make sense, it has to give them assets that they value relative to the cap-space. Neal and Dejuan are both good contracts for the production; they will find space on just about any team. They can also be further traded for more assets. Bonner is filler, but he can play. During the regular season he eats minutes effectively, and is not overpaid. The next season his cap-friendly contract generates ~$4 million in capspace for paying out only ~$1 million. Co Jo is also filler, but he's only guaranteed the next year, and as a young player, might yet put it together... The question for the former team is "Is $6 million in cap-space a better asset than Bonner/Blair/Neal/CoJo and a 2013 first"?

If Garnett leaves, I say the answer is yes for Boston: they are in rebuilding mode again; they will want to accumulate assets, minor though they may be. Similarly, Milwaukee doesn't have much use for cap-space; they have a hard time attracting FA's, even worse than SA does...

SPURSCHAMP
06-30-2012, 06:30 PM
You clearly don't understand the situation. Both those guys are in a position to just walk. Right now, if they don't re-sign, the only way Milwaukee or Boston get jack is by sign and trade.

For a sign and trade, it has to make sense for 3 parties. The player, the signing team (SAS) and the players former team (MIL/BOS).

A S&T makes sense for SAS, as they get to improve their roster, and won't screw their salary cap position.

For the player, moving to SAS means a championship shot or two, which neither Garnett nor Illyasova will get where they are. A S&T makes sense for them as it gets them potentially more salary than the MLE, and a position where they get championship shots.

For the former team, to make sense, it has to give them assets that they value relative to the cap-space. Neal and Dejuan are both good contracts for the production; they will find space on just about any team. They can also be further traded for more assets. Bonner is filler, but he can play. During the regular season he eats minutes effectively, and is not overpaid. The next season his cap-friendly contract generates ~$4 million in capspace for paying out only ~$1 million. Co Jo is also filler, but he's only guaranteed the next year, and as a young player, might yet put it together... The question for the former team is "Is $6 million in cap-space a better asset than Bonner/Blair/Neal/CoJo and a 2013 first"?

If Garnett leaves, I say the answer is yes for Boston: they are in rebuilding mode again; they will want to accumulate assets, minor though they may be. Similarly, Milwaukee doesn't have much use for cap-space; they have a hard time attracting FA's, even worse than SA does...
Clearly u don't realize that Garnett is returning to Boston. So Boston is obviously not getting nothing. Neal is also going to be demanding money soon. And what makes you think Boston could get another team to accept Blair and Neal for assets when we couldn't get anything despite actively shopping Blair. The only player out of those two that will potentially leave is Illysaova and do you think we are the only team interested in him? Do you think we can put together the best package in a S&T? Don't get me wrong I like your plan it's just not realistic enough.

racm
06-30-2012, 06:58 PM
I really want Diaw and Green back and Bonner cut. Lorbek is an unknown, so I want him replacing the redhead and not Boris. Blair's contract is too small to net anything in trade, so I'd rather keep him for another year and then likely wave goodbye next summer when he can get a long-term deal from someone. Not sure which way I swing on Mills vs Neal yet, but can't see them both here next year. Splitter is only tradeable if he can be combined with another player or two for a big upgrade in the frontcourt.

Yeah, I wouldn't trade Splitter if it meant the Spurs didn't get a young big in return.

Has Neal ever gotten 12 assists while playing with CoJo, Anderson, Byars and Blair by any chance? :downspin:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Bump.