PDA

View Full Version : Odom to Clippers in 4 team deal

racm
06-29-2012, 10:03 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221896/Odom_Williams_Four_Team_Trade_Completed

The Los Angeles Clippers acquired Lamar Odom from the Dallas Mavericks as part of a four-team trade also involving the Utah Jazz and Houston Rockets.

The Clippers sent point guard Mo Williams to the Jazz and the draft rights to Furkan Aldemir, the Clippers’ second round selection (53rd overall) in the 2012 NBA Draft to Houston while the Jazz conveyed the draft rights of Tadija Dragicevic, Utah’s second round pick (53rd overall) in the 2008 NBA Draft to Dallas.

To complete the trade, Dallas sent the draft rights of Shan Foster, the Mavericks’ second round selection (51st overall) in the 2008 NBA Draft to the Jazz with Houston sending cash considerations to Dallas.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/221896/Odom_Williams_Four_Team_Trade_Completed#ixzz1zF3xS W1a

Clippers get a big man who can shoot (but dogged it away from Hollywood), Jazz get an upgrade over Devin Harris, Dallas frees up roster and cap space, and Houston again goes hyper on trades.

Kai
06-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Morey's playing 2k out here. Just making trades for the hell of it.

Clipper Nation
06-29-2012, 11:09 PM
I really like this trade.... Odom's going to be motivated because it's LA and we're good... we also keep our exceptions for free agency.... Dallas really fucked themselves over though tbh, they're going to have to gut their team even more and still lose out on Deron anyway....

baseline bum
06-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Good move for Dallas to get that exception from the mini Dust Chip to add someone after Williams signs there.

baseline bum
06-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Here's an ESPN link in case people don't trust realGM

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8113523/lamar-odom-traded-los-angeles-clippers-mo-williams-utah-jazz-four-team-trade

Sean Cagney
06-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Good move for Dallas to get that exception from the mini Dust Chip to add someone after Williams signs there.

Williams is signing there? I thought he was leaning towards BK? No clue yet but I don't think it's a given yet like you think.

m>s
06-30-2012, 03:17 AM
lateral move for us at best, we got that nigga LO at the expense of a TE the prior year and now we just got the trade exception back, and you can't combine the TE with a player to trade for a max

baseline bum
06-30-2012, 03:19 AM
Williams is signing there? I thought he was leaning towards BK? No clue yet but I don't think it's a given yet like you think.

I just can't see this guy who played his entire career with garbage supporting casts signing on for 5 more years of playing with complete crap. There's just no reasonable way they can land Howard and there's no one good in free agency other than point guards.

racm
06-30-2012, 03:22 AM
I just can't see this guy who played his entire career with garbage supporting casts signing on for 5 more years of playing with complete crap. There's just no reasonable way they can land Howard and there's no one good in free agency other than point guards.

Unless Prokhorov throws money at him the way the Wolves threw money at Garnett.

Plus you never want to scorn a Russian...

Sportcamper
06-30-2012, 08:40 AM
I don’t know what to make of this…Odom was coddled by Phil Jackson & Kobe…He wilted with Dallas no nonsense “you are getting paid get out there & perform” system…Plus he is still a Kardasian & that drama can’t be overstated…I think DelNegro is a fantastic coach & protective of his players but I doubt he is prepared to handle the drama that comes with Lamar Kardasian…

Mel_13
06-30-2012, 08:52 AM

In order for Dallas to sign Williams with cap space, they'll have to renounce that exception. The only way to get Williams and keep the exception would be for Brooklyn to agree to a sign and trade.

racm
06-30-2012, 09:44 AM
I don’t know what to make of this…Odom was coddled by Phil Jackson & Kobe…He wilted with Dallas no nonsense “you are getting paid get out there & perform” system…Plus he is still a Kardasian & that drama can’t be overstated…I think DelNegro is a fantastic coach & protective of his players but I doubt he is prepared to handle the drama that comes with Lamar Kardasian…

I think playing in a place like Dallas and yeah, like you said being told to perform as a rotation player instead of the third best player broke him.

DPG21920
06-30-2012, 11:03 AM
In order for Dallas to sign Williams with cap space, they'll have to renounce that exception. The only way to get Williams and keep the exception would be for Brooklyn to agree to a sign and trade.

Yup, the smart part from Dallas was that they cleared 2M in additional cap space by trading Odom and bringing nothing back. Now they can renounce that exception and make 2M in extra cap space.

They cleared another 1M by including Azubuike in the draft day trade too.

dylankerouac
06-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Odom is a crybaby scrub.

DMC
06-30-2012, 04:52 PM
I think Odom is fucked. He cried about rumors of a trade, folded and then refused to really participate in Dallas. Dude thinks he's entitled, like he's not just a Kardashian fuck stick.

He won't improve the Clippers.

Dallas, like SA, is late to the party. Their star player is too old to attract attention from young guns, and their owner is too cheap to really want another ring.

Dex
06-30-2012, 05:03 PM
I think Odom is fucked. He cried about rumors of a trade, folded and then refused to really participate in Dallas. Dude thinks he's entitled, like he's not just a Kardashian fuck stick.

He won't improve the Clippers.

Dallas, like SA, is late to the party. Their star player is too old to attract attention from young guns, and their owner is too cheap to really want another ring.

It's amazing what blemishes production can cover up.

This next season is huge for Odom....could very well determine if his career in the NBA continues or not.

If all he really wanted was to be in L.A. (and not necessarily be a Laker), and if he is able to even somewhat revitalize his Sixth Man of the Year production, people will quickly forget about last season (as damning as it should have been).

However, I'm not sure if that's in the cards. With Dallas, he was playing for the defending champions and a team that very well should have been a championship contender, but obviously that wasn't motivation enough for him to give a fuck. It's hard to say that the Clippers of next year will be any more of a favorite than the Mavericks of last year. (There is also the weird stigma of playing hard for the team that bitterly ousted you from the previous playoffs, and I think that played a factor as well).

I assumed that Odom was sulking because :cry he wanted to be a Laker :cry, so it will be interesting to see if being a Clipper suits him any better. If he's happy to be back in L.A., despite the color of the jersey, then it might. If he plays like he did with the Mavericks, his career is probably over.

Then again, the Lakers being ousted in the second-round, and consensus that their glory days are over until they make another blockbuster (read: bullshit) move may influence his decision. Odom may see that being a Laker doesn't necessarily guarantee him a ring, and that might lessen his desire to play in yellow and purple.

DMC
06-30-2012, 07:25 PM
It's amazing what blemishes production can cover up.

This next season is huge for Odom....could very well determine if his career in the NBA continues or not.

If all he really wanted was to be in L.A. (and not necessarily be a Laker), and if he is able to even somewhat revitalize his Sixth Man of the Year production, people will quickly forget about last season (as damning as it should have been).

However, I'm not sure if that's in the cards. With Dallas, he was playing for the defending champions and a team that very well should have been a championship contender, but obviously that wasn't motivation enough for him to give a fuck. It's hard to say that the Clippers of next year will be any more of a favorite than the Mavericks of last year. (There is also the weird stigma of playing hard for the team that bitterly ousted you from the previous playoffs, and I think that played a factor as well).

I assumed that Odom was sulking because :cry he wanted to be a Laker :cry, so it will be interesting to see if being a Clipper suits him any better. If he's happy to be back in L.A., despite the color of the jersey, then it might. If he plays like he did with the Mavericks, his career is probably over.

Then again, the Lakers being ousted in the second-round, and consensus that their glory days are over until they make another blockbuster (read: bullshit) move may influence his decision. Odom may see that being a Laker doesn't necessarily guarantee him a ring, and that might lessen his desire to play in yellow and purple.

I think Odom got too deep into the belief that he's someone to be respected because of the Kardashian reality show, because he was a Laker, because he won rings, because he won the 6th man award, and just refused to adapt when reality set in that he's just a piece on a chess board where the players are wealthy white men and that his world could be shattered at the whim of one person.

I don't think Odom wants/wanted success on the court as much as he wanted to keep the lifestyle he had. I also think he felt he was part of a big ____ (fill in the numerical blank) with the Lakers so he wasn't trade material. Of course, finding out through other sources that the "team" is kicking you to the curb can taint an outlook, but many have dealt with it in the past.

I think Odom will try to make it work, but his brief stint in Dallas will be with him for a long long time. It's not going to help the Clippers. Sure, if he was 2011 motivated Odom, no problem. He would be a huge asset, but his psyche is thin as fuck and I don't see him recovering from D league tbh.

racm
06-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Will we see CP3 and Blake decide to shut out Odom from the Clippers' playoff pot money next year? :lmao

NRHector
06-30-2012, 09:44 PM
he's going to have the best games against the Lakers and the Mavs

Clipper Nation
06-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Odom absolutely will help the Clippers... we need his size, rebounding, and versatility off the bench a LOT more than we needed Mo's chucking and utter lack of defense, tbh...

DMC
06-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Odom absolutely will help the Clippers... we need his size, rebounding, and versatility off the bench a LOT more than we needed Mo's chucking and utter lack of defense, tbh...
Same thing the Mav fans said last year tbh.

:lol thinking Odom will be "better" in LA without being a Laker
:lol thinking playing for the Clippers in LA is more prestigious than playing for the defending champs in Dallas

Seriously, the Clippers are to LA what the Mets are to NY, "the other team".