PDA

View Full Version : Tomlinson would choose Hall over Super Bowl

Fabbs
07-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Where is that pic of him pouting on the bench while PRivers was going on two torn ACLs in almost beating the Pattycakes in the AFC Championship.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jun/26/lt-would-choose-canton-over-super-bowl/

LaDainian Tomlinson chased but never captured a Super Bowl ring in 11 NFL seasons.

On Tuesday, he seemed content with it.

The newly retired Chargers running back was asked on NBC Sports Talk if he'd rather be a Hall of Fame player without a Super Bowl ring or a Super Bowl champion without a place in Canton, Ohio.

Tomlinson, who stepped away from the game for good this month, took a second before answering "a Hall of Fame player without a ring."

"I feel like you’ve got to sacrifice so much individually just to be good,” Tomlinson said. “Now, they draft you individually, and you’ve got to back them up and make them right. I think at the end of the day, even though I didn’t win a Super Bowl ring, I felt like I backed them up for drafting me. I backed the San Diego Chargers up for picking me with the fifth pick (in 2001).”

He'll get his preference.

The 33-year-old will become Hall of Fame eligible in 2017.

Answering another hypothetical, Tomlinson said former Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer would be, "without a question," his choice in Hall of Fame presenter if the ceremony was today.

"Because he put the ball in my belly," Tomlinson said. "He believed in me enough, he believed in my skills, believed that I could help the team win. I think, of anybody in my professional career, he gave me the most encouragement and just positive feedback every single time."

Schottenheimer coached Tomlinson during the bulk of his prime from 2002 to 2006.

Avante
07-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Totally agree with that. A place in Canton is far more important than a SB ring.

Trent Dilfer has a SB ring, so? You can sit on the bench and win a SB ring.

Tomlinson without question one of the top 10 backs of all time, you can argue where in the top 10.

IronMexican
07-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Agree as well. I would take The Hall over a ring. It's not like we're talking basketball, where just about everyone eligible gets in.

Fabbs
07-01-2012, 05:21 PM
What a couple of wusses you two are.

To clarify, sure if you are a good player on teams who simply cannot win then you take the Hall as a second place.

1st place for great players is Super Ring(s) and then Hall too.

LT showed what a leader he wasn't many times.
Year 2006 however was not his fault at all. Martyball as only Marty can choke. :lol

Avante
07-01-2012, 05:27 PM
What a couple of wusses you two are.

To clarify, sure if you are a good player on teams who simply cannot win then you take the Hall as a second place.

1st place for great players is Super Ring(s) and then Hall too.

LT showed what a leader he wasn't many times.
Year 2006 however was not his fault at all. Martyball as only Marty can choke. :lol

Obviously you know nothing about the NFL.

Compare a Heisman to a National Championship.

You are on the track team, would you rather win your race and the team lose the title or you lose your race and the team win the title?

King
07-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Also, a HOF career means you sustained it for a long time. A SB ring means that you may have been good for one year.

Would you rather be Timmy Smith or LaDainian Tomlinson?

Trent Dilfer or Dan Marino?

Most anyone would take the HOF. I saw Tedy Bruschi arguing that a ring is more important - largely because he'd never be anywhere near the discussion as a HOF player.

Fabbs
07-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Trent Dilfer or Dan Marino?
Trent Dilfer in spades.

Fabbs
07-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Eli Manning or Tomlinson?

IronMexican
07-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Eli or Tomlinson? I would much rather be Eli. But he has nearly cemented his HoF legacy as well.

Edward
07-01-2012, 08:07 PM
It's stupid to compare QB to RB. Obviously you'll take the QB as they're harder to come by.

I'll take Tomlinson over Ahmad Bradshaw, James Starks, Pierre Thomas, Willie Parker, Brandon Jacobs and Joseph Addai though.

Spursfan092120
07-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I can see him wanting Canton over a ring, but it kind of shows his selfish side, saying he'd rather get noticed for his numbers alone than his team's victories. But oh well...I'm not hatin. He deserves it.

Josh McRoberts
07-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Great player, but played an increasingly overrated position and he had a cunty personality.

Avante
07-01-2012, 10:23 PM
What a ridiculous debate. A Hall of Famer has a bust in Canton, he is among a very elite group, he is one of the elite of the elite. Third string QB's can win a SB ring. Think of what it takes to get into the Hall of Fame, sooooooooooooo much easier to win a SB ring.

Blake
07-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Trent Dilfer in spades.

lol Dilfer

Avante
07-02-2012, 01:32 AM
What NFL back wouldn't wanna be in a club with...

Jim Brown
Marion Motley
Lenny Moore
Jim Taylor
Red Grange
Jim Thorpe
Frank Gifford
Paul Hornung
Joe Perry
Ollie Matson
Paul Hornung
Gale Sayers
Tony Dorsett
Earl Campbell
Walter Payton
Emmitt Smith
Eric Dickerson
Marcus Allen
Hugh McElhenny
Jerome Bettis
John Henry Johnson
Curtis Martin
Barry Sanders
Larry Czonka
John Riggins
fuck O.J.

Being special would mean more than just another guy on a SB winning team.

johnsmith
07-02-2012, 10:42 AM
What do you want the guy to say? "This hall of fame thing is worthless without a super bowl ring"?

Of course that's how he's gonna react.