PDA

View Full Version : Miami

Edward
07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Chalmers just played great in the playoffs and knows his role. Norris Cole also played decent and is a good defensive backup PG. Why are they going after Nash and Billups?

The lack of a veteran point guard isn't gonna hurt them, a lack of size will. Lebron at PF and Bosh at C won't work in the long term. They'll both burn out.

DMC
07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Star power

Also, probably short, expiring contracts that don't require negotiations for more money when they ring again. Younger guys will want to be rewarded for things that any role player could have done with the same group.

Wouldn't touch Billups after that "no one else better bid on me" comment he made last year.

Edward
07-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Both Nash and Billups would be nothing but spot up shooters on Miami imo.

DMC
07-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Both Nash and Billups would be nothing but spot up shooters on Miami imo.

They can run the point just fine, especially when Lebron does the point forward thing anyhow. If they come cheap, no problem, but Nash especially isn't worth anything close to 10m a year.

mavs>spurs
07-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Replacing Nash with those 2 only makes them worse, because of defense. With playmakers like Lebron and Wade who need the ball in their hand to be effective, the last thing they need is a pg like nash running around dribbling the ball trying to set stuff up while taking the ball away from those 2. Lebron >> Nash as a playmaker at this point.

What they need is to continue focusing on defense and COME UP WITH SOME FUCKING PLAYS, RUN A REAL OFFENSE. Don't fix what ain't broke tbh.

baseline bum
07-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Nash would be an awful fit. Billups is just completely done, and injured on top of that.

TIMMYtoZO
07-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Both are old and shit on D. Miami doesn't need a pg. They need another big, but that seems unlikely.

mavs>spurs
07-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Miami's strength is their defense..why would they want to fuck with that?

Also, I agree with T2Z. They need a fucking center.

DMC
07-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Same reason Cuban did; money > championships

baseline bum
07-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Both are old and shit on D. Miami doesn't need a pg. They need another big, but that seems unlikely.

Wish the Spurs would trade Bonner for Mike Miller's retirement papers tbh.

mavs>spurs
07-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Same reason Cuban did; money > championships

if it's about money then why pay nash more than you would have to pay chalmers? that still doesn't make sense.

DMC
07-01-2012, 05:28 PM
if it's about money then why pay nash more than you would have to pay chalmers? that still doesn't make sense.
Nash pulls Phoenix fans. Chalmers isn't going to pull more fans.

TIMMYtoZO
07-01-2012, 05:29 PM

:lol

DMC
07-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Bonner would be a good fit in Miami. Doesn't need to play interior defense, just sit outside and hit regular season 3s.

mavs>spurs
07-01-2012, 05:30 PM
pretty sure miami is going to sell out all their games and lead the league in merchandise sales anyway, i dont think any minimal sales nash might bring offsets overpaying him and consequently not winning a championship.

you know what sells? winning

baseline bum
07-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Bonner would be a good fit in Miami. Doesn't need to play interior defense, just sit outside and hit regular season 3s.

Yeah, except he'd get scared, pass up the shot, put the ball on the floor, and wreck the sets constantly in any important game after letting them fly without conscience in February and before.

DMC
07-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Yeah, except he'd get scared, pass up the shot, put the ball on the floor, and wreck the sets constantly in any important game after letting them fly without conscience in February and before.
Shhh no he wouldn't. You're just a hater.

DMC
07-01-2012, 05:38 PM
pretty sure miami is going to sell out all their games and lead the league in merchandise sales anyway, i dont think any minimal sales nash might bring offsets overpaying him and consequently not winning a championship.

you know what sells? winning
It does but winning 4 rings didn't make the Spurs popular.

mavs>spurs
07-01-2012, 05:49 PM
made them as popular as a team from SA is ever gonna be. if the spurs don't win 4, there is no spurstalk and the spurs have probably already relocated.

Edward
07-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Agreed, Daunte. Their biggest strength is their other-wordly perimeter defense. Sign Nash and Billups to fuck up Chalmers' confidence and that takes away a lot of their perimeter defense. Chalmers hits open 3s, drives and finishes when the opportunity is there, doesn't mind being barked at by Bron and Wade, and most importantly is a top 3 defensive point guard. Why fuck that up? Show that you're fully invested in him by not signing a veteran point guard who doesn't wanna work hard and play D.

Latarian Milton
07-01-2012, 06:28 PM
signing a few vet mins ain't hurting our team and they'd be excellent backups in the event chalmers/cole get injured or suspended, if they want to coattail ride our wagon and win some rings before retiring, we're gonna embrace their signings with open arms but sorry we ain't giving them nothing more then vet minimums, and hence nash is very unlikey to join us

Edward
07-01-2012, 06:31 PM
I'd be anxious to see how pissed Lebron/Wade get after Billups chucks his vintage pull 30 footer with 20 seconds left on the shot clock.

racm
07-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Bonner would be a good fit on Miami tbh

He can hit the open 3 until the regular season ends and provides size.

Kai
07-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Camby is reportedly interested in Miami among other teams. That would be a huge acquisition, IMO. Allows them to play 2 different ways.

racm
07-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Camby is reportedly interested in Miami among other teams. That would be a huge acquisition, IMO. Allows them to play 2 different ways.

A starting 5 of Chalmers/Wade/James/Bosh/Camby would have 3 shot blockers.

They can also go small with their Finals starters, so Spo has options depending on matchups (although he decided to dictate the matchups making Brooks look dumb)

DMC
07-01-2012, 09:58 PM
made them as popular as a team from SA is ever gonna be. if the spurs don't win 4, there is no spurstalk and the spurs have probably already relocated.

The popularity of the Spurs is very localized. They cannot get names to come to SA. If Lebron came to SA, suddenly other players would want to come there as well. It would be popular suddenly. It's never going to happen that SA becomes popular regardless of their wins, so winning in and of itself does not make a team popular. There are much more popular teams that have never won a ring.

Edward
07-01-2012, 10:03 PM
There are much more popular teams that have never won a ring.
Like who?

Ace
07-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Before the draft, Riley said in an interview that the point guard position wouldn't see any additions and Rio/Cole are staying.

ducks
07-01-2012, 10:35 PM
he speaketh forketh tongue?

baseline bum
07-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Camby would be god damn scary off the bench in Miami. He can't play starter's minutes, but Cotton Camby is a fucking rebounding machine.

TIMMYtoZO
07-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Camby is 38...no thanks.

baseline bum
07-02-2012, 01:41 AM
Camby is 38...no thanks.

Joel Anthony and Dexter Pittman

Mr Bones
07-02-2012, 02:09 AM
The Heat are in a fortunate position-- they don't need anything resembling stars to make themselves better. If there were to sign Vladimir Rachmanovic, Shelden Williams, or Donte Greene, it would probably work out brilliantly...

100%duncan
07-02-2012, 04:45 AM
They don't need to add another TOSB to that team much less a pg. Heat like T2Zo said in another thread needs to get younger and add a reliable big instead.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Them not using their draft pick on youth at SG or SF was also a bad move IMO. Doron Lamb would have been a good knock down shooter backing Wade up, while Will Barton is big enough to play SG/SF and rebounds really well for his position. Lamb woulda been the right pick though as it woulda been an easy transition for him.

baseline bum
07-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Them not using their draft pick on youth at SG or SF was also a bad move IMO. Doron Lamb would have been a good knock down shooter backing Wade up, while Will Barton is big enough to play SG/SF and rebounds really well for his position. Lamb woulda been the right pick though as it woulda been an easy transition for him.

I can't blame them for not wanting to add salary for a player they can't develop anyways. They're much better off just signing ring-chasing vets on the cheap.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-02-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't think Lamb would need much developing. He'd play the spot up shooter role he played in college.

Ace
07-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Tbh I was fine with Moultrie but Riley seems to value roster space for ring chasing vets more. Can't say I agree because I would love Miami to get younger and bigger, but what do I know?

DMC
07-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Like who?
The Clippers, the Suns, I could go on and on.

baseline bum
07-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Tbh I was fine with Moultrie but Riley seems to value roster space for ring chasing vets more. Can't say I agree because I would love Miami to get younger and bigger, but what do I know?

Nah, no room for rookies when you're a legit title contender. Just plug in quality vets every year to fill in a few minutes and that team probably win another 2 rings minimum in the next 3-4 years.

TIMMYtoZO
07-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I'd prefer to have youth on the bench rather than a bunch of slow, old, washed up players. The only youth Miami has on their bench that produces is Norris Cole. Everyone else is over 30 years old. Terrell Harris needs more burn next year. I can accept Camby, but hell no to Ray Allen. It is okay to have a few vets but overloading with them is a fatal mistake.