PDA

View Full Version : Asik agrees to deal with Rockets

crc21209
07-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski‏@WojYahooNBA

Rockets have reached agreement with Omer Asik on a three-year, $25.1 million contract, league source tells Y! Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏@WojYahooNBA

As a restricted free agent, the Bulls will have three days to match Asik offer sheet after it's signed on July 11th.

http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA/

Edward
07-01-2012, 06:46 PM
:lmao Morey

I wonder what advanced highly complicated metrics he used to determine Asik was worth over $8,000,000 a year.

benefactor
07-01-2012, 06:52 PM
:lol CBA

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Ugh McGee is going to bankrupt the Nuggets :depressed

Edward
07-01-2012, 06:56 PM
:lol Cully trying to tell me the owners dominated CBA negotiations. The players are gonna continue to get ridiculous contracts unless there's ever a hard cap

djohn2oo8
07-01-2012, 07:04 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t247/Djstupido/Animated%20GIFs/FlamingShot.gif

Kai
07-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Hmm... 8 mil per for a potential elite big sounds like it could be a good deal. If he shows up here and shits the bed he'll be an albatross for us though...

Doubt this has much affect on our 'star pursuit', before anyone says otherwise.

djohn2oo8
07-01-2012, 07:26 PM
That last year (15 million) better not fucking be fully guaranteed.

DPG21920
07-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Hmm... 8 mil per for a potential elite big sounds like it could be a good deal. If he shows up here and shits the bed he'll be an albatross for us though...

Doubt this has much affect on our 'star pursuit', before anyone says otherwise.

That last year (15 million) better not fucking be fully guaranteed.

It says the last year likely is. Don't see how CHI wouldn't match if it's not (which is the point).

Don't see how he's a potential "elite" big either. He is very solid defensively, but it's a long shot his production lives up to that contract IMO.

racm
07-01-2012, 07:29 PM
:lmao Morey
:lmao trading your only center on the roster for a bunch of scrubs
:lmao signing a backup center
:lmao advanced stats
:lmao signing an offensive stiff

Edward
07-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Hmm... 8 mil per for a potential elite big sounds like it could be a good deal.
:lmao "potential elite big"

He averaged 3 points and 5 rebounds last year.

Kai
07-01-2012, 07:30 PM
It says the last year likely is. Don't see how CHI wouldn't match if it's not (which is the point).

Don't see how he's a potential "elite" big either. He is very solid defensively, but it's a long shot his production lives up to that contract IMO.

Arenas rule.

3rd year only balloons up if Chicago matches. If they don't it only counts 8.3 per for the Rockets. Smart move by Morey to force Chicago to back off.

TIMMYtoZO
07-01-2012, 07:31 PM
:lol Rockets
:lol failing to get into the top 10
:lol going from Howard to a backup player
:lol stuck in mediocrity

djohn2oo8
07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Overpaying for Dragic would have been one thing, but Omar fcking Asik?!? :lmao

Kai
07-01-2012, 07:33 PM
:lmao "potential elite big"

He averaged 3 points and 5 rebounds last year.

I'm honestly not sure if I like this deal or not, but I can tell you haven't watched much of Asik. If he produces for us in big minutes the same way he did in Chicago with limited minutes, he can be a top 5 defensive Center. Problem is that no one knows if he can.

Kai
07-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Should be pointed out that Chicago is on record saying they will match any offer for Asik.

Edward
:lmao cool Daryl Morey logic glorifying per 36 minute stats.

Advanced metrics say he's worth if you stretch his stats out for more minutes! Nevermind the possibility of him not being as good per minute if his minutes go up, teh metrics say he's good per 36 minutes!

racm
I'm honestly not sure if I like this deal or not, but I can tell you haven't watched much of Asik. If he produces for us in big minutes the same way he did in Chicago with limited minutes, he can be a top 5 defensive Center. Problem is that no one knows if he can.

Is McHale a coach as elite on the defensive end as Thibs?

I think he's good but he's got a bunch of good but not great players to work with.

TIMMYtoZO
07-01-2012, 07:37 PM
:lol The Rockets have no hope now for the next 3-5 years. This summer was their best shot at stepping forward, and they failed miserably. The Rockets are in the worst position. They have enough to avoid being shitty but not enough to be elite.

DPG21920
07-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Arenas rule.

3rd year only balloons up if Chicago matches. If they don't it only counts 8.3 per for the Rockets. Smart move by Morey to force Chicago to back off.

It's still 24 million, no matter how you slice it.

Kai
07-01-2012, 07:40 PM
:lmao cool Daryl Morey logic glorifying per 36 minute stats.

Advanced metrics say he's worth if you stretch his stats out for more minutes! Nevermind the possibility of him not being as good per minute if his minutes go up, teh metrics say he's good per 36 minutes!

I agree, big risk and not sure I like this. Asik is a defensive beast though, there's no doubt about that.

Kai
07-01-2012, 07:41 PM
:lol The Rockets have no hope now for the next 3-5 years. This summer was their best shot at stepping forward, and they failed miserably. The Rockets are in the worst position. They have enough to avoid being shitty but not enough to be elite.

hold your horses asshole, offseason's not over yet :lol
not all of us can build rome in a day like you guys

It's still 24 million, no matter how you slice it.

Yep, could be a big mistake.

Edward
I agree, big risk and not sure I like this. Asik is a defensive beast though, there's no doubt about that.
There's plenty of doubt about his ability to be a defensive beast for 36+ minutes per game when all he's played is a 15 minute per game, high energy role.

racm

Forever 12-14 pick, while the Hornets and Puppies get back to the playoffs before them :lol

Kai
07-01-2012, 07:44 PM
There's plenty of doubt about his ability to be a defensive beast for 36+ minutes per game when all he's played is a 15 minute per game, high energy role.

very, very true, but he has shown he has the ability to guard the post/pick n role like boss. Rebounding as well. The talent is there, and that's why Morey is risking it. Still doesn't solve anything offensively though. I really want to know wtf the Rockets are planning with this Picasso of a roster.

Edward
07-01-2012, 07:46 PM
hold your horses asshole, offseason's not over yet :lol
not all of us can build rome in a day like you guys
:lol Daryl Morey has been trying to build Rome for years now

djohn2oo8
07-01-2012, 07:47 PM
:lol Yup.

Kai
07-01-2012, 07:48 PM

with 50 million dollars of dead weight on the roster. Yao and Tracy fucked us like a rhino.

4FvmG24SPII

:lmao :lmao hard to get through the first 10 seconds of this video :lol

djohn2oo8
07-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Proof rocketfans are retarded "Good deal. Dwight was never an option for us anyway so this is the next best thing". Just gives off the urge to punch a small child.

Kai
07-01-2012, 08:12 PM
^:lol

I'm still not convinced Chicago doesn't match.

racm
07-01-2012, 08:17 PM
^:lol

I'm still not convinced Chicago doesn't match.

Apparently if they match Boozer's gonna be amnestied.

Kai
07-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Apparently if they match Boozer's gonna be amnestied.

Which is a positive :lol If they think Asik has DPoY talent like they say they do, they might just have to match.

DPG21920
07-01-2012, 08:28 PM
you better hope they match but IMO they dont

Kai
07-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Rockets make offer to Asik; Bulls likely to match (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/07/01/rockets-make-offer-to-asik-bulls-likely-to-match/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed)

DPG21920
07-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Ya, I read that. Still dont see them paying that much for their back up C who is limited.

Kai
07-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Ya, I read that. Still dont see them paying that much for their back up C who is limited.

Same things were said about Gortat, and he's turned out pretty well. You never know with these guys that get limited minutes. Centers are a premium in today's NBA, it's embarrassing to look back at past generations.

racm
07-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Same things were said about Gortat, and he's turned out pretty well. You never know with these guys that get limited minutes. Centers are a premium in today's NBA, it's embarrassing to look back at past generations.

You've got the elites in Bynum/Howard, the veterans in Garnett/Duncan, the solid guys like Noah and Chandler, and then everyone else.

VBM
07-01-2012, 08:53 PM
This is like the Spurs summer of 03. Whiff on Kidd/Jermaine and settle on overpaying Rasho

DPG21920
07-01-2012, 09:22 PM

Except Gortat had a very good offensive game. That is what usually gets paid from an upside perspective, not really limited offensive bigs.

tomtom
07-01-2012, 09:26 PM
WTF is going on with GM's. This makes the max contract for Hibbert look like a steal

Killakobe81
07-01-2012, 09:27 PM
:lol Cully trying to tell me the owners dominated CBA negotiations. The players are gonna continue to get ridiculous contracts unless there's ever a hard cap

That is the hilarity of the CBA ... They did this shit to promote competitive balance, but they can do nothing to prevent competitive stupidity. 8 million for a role playing big?! No Yao, no Dwight, no NeNe, no Pau. Rox I don't just get I like their draft but that team seems destined for mediocrity in the meanwhile ...

djohn2oo8
07-01-2012, 10:07 PM
That is the hilarity of the CBA ... They did this shit to promote competitive balance, but they can do nothing to prevent competitive stupidity. 8 million for a role playing big?! No Yao, no Dwight, no NeNe, no Pau. Rox I don't just get I like their draft but that team seems destined for mediocrity in the meanwhile ...

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2258607463/image_normal.jpg Alex Rankin @ARankin11 (https://twitter.com/ARankin11) 1 Jul 12 (https://twitter.com/ARankin11/statuses/219593169925447682)
@RocketsJCF (https://twitter.com/RocketsJCF) Bulls have tough decision. Just some people are saying were done with Dwight now.

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1386229592/twitpic0607_normal.jpg Jason Friedman @RocketsJCF (https://twitter.com/RocketsJCF)@ARankin11 (https://twitter.com/ARankin11) Those people are either ignorant or ill-informed, sorry.

Edward
07-01-2012, 10:08 PM
:lol comparing Asik to Gortat

Gortat, even in limited minutes, showcased certain skills Asik never has.

Kai
07-01-2012, 10:15 PM

Edward, how many times have you watched Asik play? Asik can protect the paint as well as just about anybody in the league. If he pans out and plays at the same level with starter minutes, he is worth this contract. My concern is his ability to stay consistent and stay out of foul trouble. You don't seem to think he even has the skillset, which isn't really an issue to me.

Kai
07-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Just in case anyone is wondering what the Rockets are doing right now, this is what I've gathered as the apparent plan A:

1) Sign Asik.

2a) Sign Eric Gordon. We are currently holding discussions with New Orleans about doing a S&T where he would come here and we'd give up Kevin Martin (who Dell Demps does like and tried to acquire before) along with a young prospect or two on our roster. The financial commitment to Gordon would be 4 years, $55 million. The financial commitment to Martin would be one year, $12.4 million, so it works out salary wise. The hope from the Rockets' end is that the Hornets are apprehensive to sign a guy who was injured all last season and can't seem to stay healthy to a max deal. Depending on how much they like the prospects, New Orleans would make their decision whether or not to do the deal. I doubt we'll pull it off, but this seems to be the case.

2b) Trade for Dwight with a package centered around Lowry and the rest of our assets/prospects. Asik becomes the ulitmate insurance if Dwight should choose to leave. Sure, they'd have to cut some costs in the future with so much invested in the Center position, but Morey wants Dwight more than anything, and Asik isn't going to stop his pursuit. We'll hold his bird rights after the season, and if we can get Gordon on the roster, re-sign Dragic, and Brooklyn seemingly giving up, we hope it is enough to convince him to stay.

3) re-sign Dragic. His cap hold is small (much smaller than his salary will be), and we can go over the cap to re-sign him. He has to wait for Deron, Nash and company to set the market anyways, so he just has to wait.

There is a very good chance that absolutely none of these things happen, but these are the steps Morey has taken this offseason. It is what it is.

Spurs da champs
07-01-2012, 10:18 PM

Gortat could finish and…?

Edward
07-01-2012, 10:19 PM
If he pans out and plays at the same level with starter minutes, he is worth this contract.
Neat. If my uncle had a pussy, he'd be my aunt.

Kai
07-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Where the fuck is Phillip to back me up

Edward
07-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Where the fuck is Phillip
Getting fucked in the ass

Killakobe81
07-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Just in case anyone is wondering what the Rockets are doing right now, this is what I've gathered as the apparent plan A:

1) Sign Asik.

2a) Sign Eric Gordon. We are currently holding discussions with New Orleans about doing a S&T where he would come here and we'd give up Kevin Martin (who Dell Demps does like and tried to acquire before) along with a young prospect or two on our roster. The financial commitment to Gordon would be 4 years, $55 million. The financial commitment to Martin would be one year, $12.4 million, so it works out salary wise. The hope from the Rockets' end is that the Hornets are apprehensive to sign a guy who was injured all last season and can't seem to stay healthy to a max deal. Depending on how much they like the prospects, New Orleans would make their decision whether or not to do the deal. I doubt we'll pull it off, but this seems to be the case.

2b) Trade for Dwight with a package centered around Lowry and the rest of our assets/prospects. Asik becomes the ulitmate insurance if Dwight should choose to leave. Sure, they'd have to cut some costs in the future with so much invested in the Center position, but Morey wants Dwight more than anything, and Asik isn't going to stop his pursuit. We'll hold his bird rights after the season, and if we can get Gordon on the roster, re-sign Dragic, and Brooklyn seemingly giving up, we hope it is enough to convince him to stay.

3) re-sign Dragic. His cap hold is small (much smaller than his salary will be), and we can go over the cap to re-sign him. He has to wait for Deron, Nash and company to set the market anyways, so he just has to wait.

Ok well at least they have a plan. If I'm Magic I insist on Lamb, Lowry, Patterson Asik when he can be traded plus at,least one future pick.

There is a very good chance that absolutely none of these things happen, but these are the steps Morey has taken this offseason. It is what it is.

Pelicans78
07-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Kai, the Rockets aren't getting Gordon. Hornets will match any offer and won't trade him for what the Rockets have. Draft picks and Martin won't be enough.

Asik is a strong defender and rebounder in the paint and as a starting center will live up to that contract. He stinks offensively. Doesn't do anything right in that regard, but defensively will provide a strong presence in the paint.

baseline bum
07-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Oh my fucking god, $25 million over 3 years for a bench scrub. Fuck the playing time nonsense; this guy had plenty of opportunity when Noah went down and he still averaged 3.3 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in the Philly series against a frontline of Hawes and Brand. This isn't Nash to Toronto stupid, but it might be up there with the extension the Spurs gave Jefferson a couple of years ago. I cannot believe the Bulls are seriously going to match unless they're looking to unload Noah or something.

Stalin
07-01-2012, 10:36 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t247/Djstupido/Animated%20GIFs/FlamingShot.gif

:lol:lol

intlspurshk
07-01-2012, 10:39 PM
I dont believe what Rockets are doing. If they want to spend, spend on McJee or other more proven big man...and they just drafted big men. Do they have any excess bigman for trade other than Scola

Kai
07-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Kai, the Rockets aren't getting Gordon. Hornets will match any offer and won't trade him for what the Rockets have. Draft picks and Martin won't be enough.

Just letting you know what's going on. Gordon was in Houston today meeting with Morey and McHale, and the Hornets have at least had the conversation with the Rockets about a deal. Like I said, I'd be very surprised if it actually went down.

Pelicans78
07-01-2012, 10:43 PM
They didn't draft a center.

This is the Rockets way. They try to get a superstar outside of the draft and they fail. So instead of starting, they go for a coveted playoff spot. Asik will start and give them defense and rebounding. They should just use the amnesty on Scola. No one will trade for him. Dump his butt. Trade Lowry and resign Dragic.

Pelicans78
07-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Just letting you know what's going on. Gordon was in Houston today meeting with Morey and McHale, and the Hornets have at least had the conversation with the Rockets about a deal. Like I said, I'd be very surprised if it actually went down.

I know what's going. It was on Hornets Report earlier today. Gordon is visiting alot of teams. He visited the Pacers yesterday. Gordon is trying to get a max offer because he knows the Hornets won't offer him one.

Kai
07-01-2012, 10:58 PM
I know what's going. It was on Hornets Report earlier today. Gordon is visiting alot of teams. He visited the Pacers yesterday. Gordon is trying to get a max offer because he knows the Hornets won't offer him one.

:lol I didn't mean you. I meant anyone that chose to read my post. Felt like sharing because there isn't a thread on Gordon's visits on this site because everybody knows Hornets will match.

Venti Quattro
07-01-2012, 11:06 PM
H:lolust:loln R:lolckets

HarlemHeat37
07-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Massive overpayment and risk, Asik's people really played the system:lol..

However, as I've been saying since last year, Asik is just as good as Noah IMO, with the potential to be even better..the odds are against it, but I'm interested in seeing if my belief will be justified, tbh..

Pelicans78
07-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Massive overpayment and risk, Asik's people really played the system:lol..

However, as I've been saying since last year, Asik is just as good as Noah IMO, with the potential to be even better..the odds are against it, but I'm interested in seeing if my belief will be justified, tbh..

Asik won't be as good as Noah offensively.

Brazil
07-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Asik for $8M a year, I guess Duncan is going to sign for $16M

djohn2oo8
07-02-2012, 02:08 PM
They didn't draft a center.

This is the Rockets way. They try to get a superstar outside of the draft and they fail. So instead of starting, they go for a coveted playoff spot. Asik will start and give them defense and rebounding. They should just use the amnesty on Scola. No one will trade for him. Dump his butt. Trade Lowry and resign Dragic.
Asik won't start.

siraulo23
07-02-2012, 06:48 PM
holyy sshit wtf

i guess hibbert really is a max player :wow

Killakobe81
07-02-2012, 07:57 PM
IF Asik doesnt start why the fuck would they pay him $8 million, that kind of shit is crippling in this economy ...

baseline bum
07-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Asik won't start.

$8 million for a bench scrub? :rollin

They better think he's a starter with that retarded offer.

The Franchise
07-02-2012, 08:30 PM
$8 million for a bench scrub? :rollin

They better think he's a starter with that retarded offer.

Nobody is expecting him to do much scoring. If he can defend and rebound effectively for 30 mins then 8 million per will be worth it. Until he actually fails, all of this doom and gloom is premature.

Pelicans78
07-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Asik won't start.

Really? Who's gonna start over him? Dalembert is gone. Camby coming back? They can't pay him this much coming off the bench.

Latarian Milton
07-02-2012, 11:42 PM
bigs are generally getting overpaid these days imho

Mel_13
07-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Omer Asik's offer sheet with Houston is same terms as Jeremy Lin's -- $5M, $5.2M, $14.9M. Bulls have three days to match.

https://twitter.com/KBergCBS

TimmehC
07-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Omer Asik's offer sheet with Houston is same terms as Jeremy Lin's -- $5M, $5.2M, $14.9M. Bulls have three days to match.

https://twitter.com/KBergCBS

Maybe you know this, Mel... that 3rd obviously includes a lot more than the max raises that are supposed to be given in a contract. Any idea how Houston can get away with that?

Mel_13
07-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Maybe you know this, Mel... that 3rd obviously includes a lot more than the max raises that are supposed to be given in a contract. Any idea how Houston can get away with that?

It goes back to when Gilbert Arenas left GS to sign with Washington. GS was unable (no cap space or salary cap exception) to match Washington's offer and lost Arenas. The 2005 CBA created the Arenas provision to protect teams in that situation while allowing other teams to make an offer that will be difficult, but not impossible, to match.

It's all explained here:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q44

TimmehC
07-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Sweet, thx for the info.