PDA

View Full Version : Is Osama Dead?

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-10-2004, 02:57 PM
It's unfortunate that this is lost in the dust of Dan Rather's CBS screwup but....

I don't know if anyone caught it, but Osama's right hand man, Al-Zawahari, put out a tape yesterday talking trash about the US of A. Conspicuously absent in that tape was one Osama bin Laden.

It struck me this morning that it is VERY likely that our "good friend" OBL is dead. This is the first time a major "statement" tape from Al Qaeda like the one aired the other day has surfaced without Osama's ugly mug on it.

I don't know what anyone else thinks about that, but to me it causes pause for thought.

Tommy Duncan
09-10-2004, 03:04 PM
It does make one curious. OBL/UBL/ODB was not one to stay quiet.

Nbadan
09-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Who cares if Usama is dead or not? His legend is the stuff that motivates insurgencies and Islamic militants.

Tommy Duncan
09-10-2004, 03:32 PM
Well if the US capped him then the legend takes a hit.

It is odd that you don't see bin Ladin around anymore.

Joe Chalupa
09-10-2004, 03:36 PM
I'm down with OPP.

SpursWoman
09-10-2004, 03:38 PM
I'm down with OPP.

Other People's Ponytails? :wtf

Joe Chalupa
09-10-2004, 03:39 PM
D'oh!

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-10-2004, 03:50 PM
The legend of Osama, he of the "fought Russia and won, survived US coming into Afghanistan and looking for me and I'm gonna chalk it up to the great Allah watching over me", sure would take a hit if he were dead.

Nbadan
09-10-2004, 03:58 PM
sure would take a hit if he were dead.

Tell that to the thousands of insurgents and nationalists fighting the occupation forces in Iraq. They are outgunned about as bad as they can be outgunned, yet they have managed to keep the most superior military machine in the world on it's heels.

Tommy Duncan
09-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Well of course because if the world's greatest military power decided to throw caution to the wind and level everything in its way then your ilk would scream bloody murder.

Yonivore
09-10-2004, 04:01 PM
I've been saying he's been dead since about December 17th, 2001. That was about the time the U.S. Military rearranged the landscape in Tora Bora with a few Daisy Cutters.

Nbadan
09-10-2004, 04:04 PM
That was about the time the U.S. Military rearranged the landscape in Tora Bora with a few Daisy Cutters.

Your forgetting the tapes that were smuggled out of Western Pakistan with Bin Laden being interviewed after the Tora Bora battle.

Joe Chalupa
09-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Well if he is dead then we need to find the body because without it....we've got nobody.

Tommy Duncan
09-10-2004, 04:08 PM
...and the ones with him in a McLean, Virginia Starbucks enjoying a Cafe Americano with Lou Rawls and Karl Rove.

Shelly
09-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Ha! I was gonna ask this question the other day.

My husband thinks he is.

Isn't he on dialysis?

Yonivore
09-10-2004, 04:11 PM
There have been no verifiable images, recordings, or sightings of an alive and well Osama bin Laden after December 17, 2001. None.

Nbadan
09-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Isn't he on dialysis?

Yes. On the day the U.S. attacked Afghanistan, Bin Laden was reported by CBS News to be in Pakistan receiving dialysis treatment.

Shelly
09-10-2004, 04:15 PM
There have been no verifiable images, recordings, or sightings of an alive and well Osama bin Laden after December 17, 2001. None.

Interesting!

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Well given CBS's recent "reporting", who knows...

I don't see the insurgents in Iraq keeping us on our heels. On razor edge, yes, on our heels, no.

And if we didn't have all these stupid rules of engagement thanks to the chickenshit PC left, it'd be taken care of by now.

Back to Osama though...

Part of the myth of him, as well as his organization, was that he survived the Russians chasing him around the deserts of Afghanistan, and he had also ducked the U.S. when we ousted the Taliban.

Part of his sermons were about how "if Allah wasn't on our side, I wouldn't be here."

Kinda takes a hit if he's dead...

Yonivore
09-10-2004, 04:19 PM
"...CBS News..."
Well, if they reported it, it must be true.

Nbadan
09-10-2004, 04:21 PM

Once again, this is a matter of opinion, not fact. Usama has been seen on tapes smuggled out of Western Pakistan after the Tora-Bora battle which even U.S. forces admitted was not successful in either killing or capturing Usama.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-10-2004, 04:25 PM
I think he was alive after Tora Bora.

After seeing him absent from the newest tape however, I think he's not.

Yonivore
09-10-2004, 04:25 PM
"Once again, this is a matter of opinion, not fact. Usama has been seen on tapes smuggled out of Western Pakistan after the Tora-Bora battle which even U.S. forces admitted was not successful in either killing or capturing Usama."
So, what's your best guess on why he went from directly addressing the video camera to voicing over stock footage of him and Zawahri kicking stones around the desert to audio recordings to, well, nothing.

My guess. He was killed on December 17th. His last direct address to a camera was prior to that date. Then, they ran out of stock footage to voice over. Then, they ran out of audio recordings. That's my guess.

Oh, and why does the military and U.S. government seem so reticent to say one way or the other? Well, we were explicitly told that "misinformation" would be a part of this war. I say, if it serves our purpose for the world to believe his status is unknown...fine by me. I never expected that I would have a "need to know" on every aspect of the war, unlike Demoncrats.

Nbadan
09-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Oh, and why does the military and U.S. government seem so reticent to say one way or the other? Well, we were explicitly told that "misinformation" would be a part of this war. I say, if it serves our purpose for the world to believe his status is unknown...fine by me. I never expected that I would have a "need to know" on every aspect of the war, unlike Demoncrats.

Trouble is, this war has been so bad for the administration, they would jump at the chance to report Bin Laden dead if they had any inclination that it was true.

NameDropper
09-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Does it really matter?
Say he is dead. Terrorism will continue.
Say he is alive. Terrorism will continue.

So who really gives a shit?

Nbadan
09-10-2004, 04:36 PM
So who really gives a shit?

That's exactly what I have been saying. However, the Republicant's need a trophey to parade before the voters, so expect this speculation to continue.

NameDropper
09-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Trophy? Hell, they've turned 9/11 into their own personal "scare tactic" trophy.

It is totally pathetic.

Tommy Duncan
09-10-2004, 05:02 PM
So let's just ignore the fact that 9/11 happened? WTF?

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Republicans need a trophy?

What the hell does Kerry have to parade? A Purple Heart for a fucking flesh wound 30 years ago. Wow, that makes me want to vote for Kerry. :rolleyes

Dan it must suck to have so much hate for the country that gives you the freedom of speech required to spew such hate and such lunacy.

They can't claim he's dead, because if he's not he can prove it rather easily.

The problem with you Dan is that you take a conservative's thoughts (like Yonis or mine) and somehow convey those comments to come out of Bush's mouth himself.

I'm just making an educated guess, we've seen less and less of OBL in the last two years, and even less video tapes out of his group. Now a new one surfaces and his mug doesn't even appear?

He's either dead or cowering in fear under a rock somewhere.

Yonivore
09-10-2004, 05:20 PM
"Trouble is, this war has been so bad for the administration, they would jump at the chance to report Bin Laden dead if they had any inclination that it was true."
In a Demoncratic world, this may be true...but, I believe this administration is putting the mission over politics. And, that you point out how unpopular it is just supports this assertion.

Hook Dem
09-10-2004, 09:39 PM
You actually want him to be alive and well don't you Dan? It is becoming evident that he is your hero! You should have a hard time facing yourself in the mirror each morning!

Bandit2981
09-10-2004, 09:52 PM
i think osama is still alive and hiding

SpursWoman
09-10-2004, 10:20 PM
I think it's extremely peculiar that there hasn't been any recent (current) footage of him anywhere. When all of this first started he seemed to rather enjoy taunting us infidels that we didn't *get him*.

And I seriously think he's a big enough nut-job to believe that Allah will protect him from us--10ft tall and bulletproof, so to speak....so that would leave *somewhere hiding* out, IMO.

:)

And if that's the case, I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over it.

Spurminator
09-10-2004, 10:21 PM
I don't think it matters except to rabid supporters who want him dead so they can congratulate Bush, and rabid haters so they can have another reason to bitch about this administration.

JohnnyMarzetti
09-10-2004, 11:39 PM
http://www.cloakanddagger.ca/media/images/bush_binladen.jpg

spurster
09-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Is Osama dead? Who knows? It's pure speculation either way.

As for leveling various regions of Iraq, I say let Iraqis fight Iraqis. The US wasn't able to win Vietnam's civil war for South Vietnam, and they're not going to win Iraq's civil war for whatever lame side they've chosen. Our side has an incompetent, unwilling army and the other side is very motivated and willing to lay down their lives. You make the call.

SpursWoman
09-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Our side has an incompetent, unwilling army

huh?

Yonivore
09-11-2004, 01:17 AM
"...no verifiable..."
That is not a matter of opinion. Show me an image, video, or sound recording that contains information that will conclusively date it.

spurster
09-11-2004, 01:47 AM
That is, the Iraqi army that the US is trying to cobble together is incompetent and unwilling. The US army can level any place in Iraq it wants to, but in a fight between Iraqis, who would you pick to win?

SpursWoman
09-11-2004, 02:02 AM
Aaaaahh...I was hoping that's what you meant. :wink

I'd pick the good guys. :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-11-2004, 02:04 AM
incompetent, unwilling army?

WTF?

It's just an interesting observation, he's suddenly absent from any and all AQ communications.

I don't see us confirming he's dead unless we've got a body and DNA match. I don't see AQ ever admitting he's dead, because that would kill the OBL has Allah on his side myth, and that's one of their main recruiting tools.

E20
09-11-2004, 02:08 AM
News to Earth, Allah is supposed to be never on the side of murderers who spill innocent blood.

exstatic
09-11-2004, 02:21 AM
And if we didn't have all these stupid rules of engagement thanks to the chickenshit PC left, it'd be taken care of by now.

Without the ROEs, we'd be, well, SADDAM. If suppression of these fucks was the mission, we never should have invaded in the first place. They were already suppressed quite successfully.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-11-2004, 04:39 AM
I guess my point is if they want to go get their 72 virgins in "heaven", we should be accomodating them with extreme prejudice.

Yonivore
09-11-2004, 01:41 PM
"Damnit Jim, he's dead!"
--Bones to Captain Kirk in any number of Star Trek episodes.

MsMcGillyCutty
09-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Mmmmm...Captain Kirk could explore my universe any day and boldly go where many men have gone before.

E20
09-12-2004, 02:47 AM
72 virgins is fake.

MannyIsGod
09-12-2004, 05:33 AM
misunderstanding the enemy is one of the worst mistakes you can make. I think it is one many of the people in this country are guilty of.

Nbadan
09-12-2004, 05:36 AM
Misunderestimating the enemy is one thing. Voluntarily choosing the wrong enemy an entirely other.

ChumpDumper
09-12-2004, 05:46 AM
If he's dead he's a martyr, just another type of hero to the terrorists.

The only difference it would make is if news of his death is the new October surprise.