PDA

View Full Version : Could The Spurs Get "Asik-ed" With Danny Green?

VI_Massive
07-02-2012, 09:10 AM
I know he was a second round pick, but I'm not sure if the fact he was signed to a minimum contract or other factors prevent it. Could someone make him an offer like Houston did Asik - using the Arenas exception to make SAS matching very unpalatable?

I doubt he'd get an offer as lucrative as Asik's, but could he still get one structured similarly -- making SAS very unlikely to match?

TXstbobcat
07-02-2012, 09:15 AM
There might be a team that likes green enough to give him 4 to 5 million per year.

cantthinkofanything
07-02-2012, 09:18 AM
my bad...I should have paid attention.

Mel_13
07-02-2012, 09:23 AM
I know he was a second round pick, but I'm not sure if the fact he was signed to a minimum contract or other factors prevent it. Could someone make him an offer like Houston did Asik - using the Arenas exception to make SAS matching very unpalatable?

I doubt he'd get an offer as lucrative as Asik's, but could he still get one structured similarly -- making SAS very unlikely to match?

No.

The Arenas provision applies to players with one or two years in the NBA. Green just completed his 3rd NBA season.

elemento
07-02-2012, 09:24 AM
The Arenas rule is only possible for players with one or two years in the league. This season was Green's 3rd. Green is only an early bird right FA but the Arenas rule is not applied to him.

Houston made that offer (5/5/15) because it's a rule to make it possible for Chicago to match not because that overrated fat GM is a genius or something.

elemento
07-02-2012, 09:24 AM
The Arenas rule is only possible for players with one or two years in the league. This season was Green's 3rd. Green is only an early bird right FA but the Arenas rule is not applied to him.

Houston made that offer (5/5/15) because it's a rule to make it possible for Chicago to match not because that overrated fat GM is a genius or something.

smaka
07-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Even if they can't use Arenas rule, there still might be teams which could offer him more than the Spurs want to. If they overpay him, we should let him go.

One stupid question, but I'm confused. If Green gets an offer from Spurs for example for 3 mil per year, and one other team offers him 4 mil per year, and let's say that Spurs don't offer him that much. He can still sign with the Spurs in this case, right?

Obstructed_View
07-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Even if they can't use Arenas rule, there still might be teams which could offer him more than the Spurs want to. If they overpay him, we should let him go.

One stupid question, but I'm confused. If Green gets an offer from Spurs for example for 3 mil per year, and one other team offers him 4 mil per year, and let's say that Spurs don't offer him that much. He can still sign with the Spurs in this case, right?

The way I understand it, Green would have to sign the other team's offer sheet for it to become official. Therefore, if he wanted to sign with the Spurs, he'd simply refuse the offer. Once he signs it, the only way the Spurs can keep him is to match it within three days.

smaka
07-02-2012, 12:37 PM
The way I understand it, Green would have to sign the other team's offer sheet for it to become official. Therefore, if he wanted to sign with the Spurs, he'd simply refuse the offer. Once he signs it, the only way the Spurs can keep him is to match it within three days.

Ok good, thanks!

Dex
07-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Green disappearing in the WCF may have been a best case scenario for the Spurs keeping Green. Even thought it was kind of a damning factor in the playoff run, hopefully it will at least help them build for the future.

Not only did his going cold under the bright lights (and subsequently getting stuck in the doghouse) limit his exposure to keep teams from throwing big dollars at him...but I imagine it will factor into Green's mindset as well.

Considering he seems like a good guy and buys into the team concept...he probably feels partly responsible for the playoff loss. Any guy worth his salt would want to remedy that failure...to try to make up for where he came up short for his team. If he truly values being a Spur, and wants to try to redeem himself for the silver & black (the team that gave him his big chance), that may convince him to stay here even if someone else does turn up to offer him slightly more money.

Kidd K
07-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Well I think we should keep him even if his deal is 4m.

Why:

He's better than Bonner on both ends of the floor, and Bonner was getting at least that much if not more.

The Spurs franchise is in the top 5 for earnings after expenses in the NBA. . .so "we" aren't exactly broke or poor right now. . .so an extra one mil isn't breaking old dude's bank. At all.

We also don't have anything worth using for 20+ minutes a game at SG to spell injury prone Ginobili right now besides Green (us expecting some improvements from him). Neal isn't good enough to use for that long due to defensive liabilities.