PDA

View Full Version : Would You Support Duncan for 2012 Olympics?

07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
from the news reports that i have read, the U.S. basketball team will have until july 8th to name their roster and training camp begins on the 6th. i was going over the list and that team is extremely short on centers. with the injuries to chris bosh, aldridge, and now anthony davis, team USA is stuck with griffin (still recovering from playoff injury) and odom (still nursing his sore vagina). the only stable backup to tyson chandler will be kevin love.

should the U.S. basketball team extend a last minute invitation to tim duncan? a gold medal would make his resume complete. duncan will probably only be used moderately so it's a chance for him to have some fun and finally get his gold medal. parker and ginobili are already going to play for their national teams, why shouldn't duncan? it's not like the spurs have much hope in winning a championship next year. duncan might as well get some more shiny hardware near the end of his career.

what's even more funny is that the U.S. has been placed in the same group as Argentina and France. parker/ginobili/duncan will all be in the same group.

Mel_13
07-02-2012, 03:58 PM
That was most noticeable in how Duncan played. Unable to figure out the officiating and in constant foul trouble, the USA's best player was seldom a major factor. He fouled out of the semifinal loss to Argentina in only 19½ minutes.

"If Tim Duncan knew this was the system and how he was going to be treated in that sense, I think he would have thought seriously about not coming," said U.S. assistant Gregg Popovich, who also coaches Duncan and Ginobili on the Spurs.

A frustrated Duncan, who said that he is 95% sure his FIBA career is over and that "FIBA sucks," was asked if he felt his frustrations would deter other stars from playing in the Olympics. "I hope not," he said, "I'll try not to share my experience with anyone."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/basketball/2004-08-29-mens-hoops_x.htm

Juggity
07-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I think Duncan has stated in the past that he would not participate in another Olympics after the 2004 debacle. But the team he would be joining this year is much better than the 2004 team, and they probably would genuinely like to have his (declining) skills given the dearth of Centers.

I think if he could get a guarantee that he'd be used in a strictly backup role behind Tyson Chandler, he might participate. His veteran presence would probably help the team.

07-02-2012, 04:04 PM
duncan won't even be playing that much and won't be a focal point on the team like he was the last time. he'll get a few minutes and will only play meaningful minutes if shit hits the fan like if tyson chandler goes down. and duncan was 95% sure he didn't want to play international ball anymore.

cd98
07-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Both Duncan and Garnett are showing they have something in the tank. But not sure either of these guys would prioritize the Olympics over contending for NBA championships. Garnett already has won gold.

Budkin
07-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Maybe since Timmy doesn't have a gold medal, but I'd lean towards no.