PDA

View Full Version : Will the Spurs win another ring in our lifetime?

DeadlyDynasty
07-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Real talk.

The NBA is increasingly becoming a league of haves and have-nots (it's always been that way really, but much moreso now), and a good system/good coaching can only take you so far as last year's WCF proved.

With that being said, the harsh reality is that no significant FA has ever signed with SA (from another team). They have drafted a very good bigman (D-Rob), and the greatest PF of all-time (Duncan) and ridden those two to 25 years of competitive basketball--and 14 years of being contenders.

The window has closed on this bunch now, and no heir apparent looms on the horizon. San Antonio is doomed to become the Atlanta Hawks for quite some time after this.

Taking all that into account, have we seen the last of the Spurs ringing?

Mel_13
07-02-2012, 07:08 PM
How much longer do you figure to live?

Ditty
07-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Hopefully our front office will go into full tank mode in 2 years, and we will get Jabari Parker :toast:lol

DeadlyDynasty
07-02-2012, 07:11 PM
How much longer do you figure to live?

I went to see the gypsy, staying in a big hotel...she smiled when she saw me coming and she said "well, well, well"

October 20th, 2051 is what I was told.

Trill Clinton
07-02-2012, 07:12 PM
In my lifetime? yes.

Mel_13
07-02-2012, 07:12 PM
I went to see the gypsy, staying in a big hotel...she smiled when she saw me coming and she said "well, well, well"

39 years.

Could hit the lottery again in all that time.

timvp
07-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Maybe not.

But down the road, the fact that RC/Pop are beasts at drafting will give the franchise a distinct advantage as long as the current FO stays around. Drafting two Hall of Famers and a handful of other high quality players without ever having a pick lower than 20 (until trading for Kawhi) is pretty disgusting if you think about it, tbh.

Rebuilding in San Antonio is going to be a difficult process but there's hope due to who will be in charge. Drafting ability plus the knowledge of how not to waste cap space might be able to make up for the small market. Guess we'll see one day.

DeadlyDynasty
07-02-2012, 07:19 PM
39 years.

Could hit the lottery again in all that time.

They will be the Galveston Spurs by then. That city was once great, but they've never quite recovered from the Hurricane of 1900.

I smell a comeback

Bruno
07-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Maybe, maybe not

And the same can be said for Lakers too. Aside of Bynum with his broken knees, Lakers have no good players. The new CBA is too a disaster for them and reduces a lot their big market edge.

acoelho1
07-02-2012, 07:30 PM
New York Knicks have the biggest and most attractive market for players and that hasn't really garnered them any championships. Sure, having stars is big to winning titles but don't discount the Spurs just yet. They have the best organization in the league and are great at finding star players late in the draft. Also, when Duncan and Ginobili retire that will improve our draft status.

timtonymanu
07-02-2012, 07:30 PM
On one hand, the homer in me says that this team was so close to winning it all this year and if things go right in the offseason, they will have the same roster (hopefully minus Bonner) next season with a full training camp. It would be foolish to think that they don't have any chance to win it all next year.

On the other hand, I don't see it happening. There's no guarantee our Big 3 will be healthy all season and it looks like Matt Bonner will retire a Spur. :rolleyes Plus we have no true superstar in a superstar-dominant league.

So I'm hoping for the former but expect the latter. I want to see Duncan win one more before he leaves. :cry

racm
07-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Unlikely but not impossible. How many teams have won multiple titles since 1980 again?

Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Pistons, Spurs, Heat.

Dex
07-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Maybe not.

But down the road, the fact that RC/Pop are beasts at drafting will give the franchise a distinct advantage as long as the current FO stays around. Drafting two Hall of Famers and a handful of other high quality players without ever having a pick lower than 20 (until trading for Kawhi) is pretty disgusting if you think about it, tbh.

Rebuilding in San Antonio is going to be a difficult process but there's hope due to who will be in charge. Drafting ability plus the knowledge of how not to waste cap space might be able to make up for the small market. Guess we'll see one day.

Just to play the pessimist for a bit...do you think that RC/Pops drafting abilities may be overrated a bit due to finding Parker and Ginobili? You're certainly right that finding two Hall of Famers in the draft that late is astounding, but what if that was either their peak (glass half full) or just plain luck (glass half empty)?

Since that time ('99 and '01), the Spurs have drafted a few other decent players, but nothing nearly as productive as Tony or Manu (which is, understandably, setting the bar high).

The case could be made for other successes like George Hill (productive player in his time here, and became a vital trading chip), or Kawhi Leonard (still unproven, but in a strange rookie season, showed all the promise one could hope to see from an NBA no0bie). But for every case like Hill or Leonard, there has been a James Anderson or Jack McClinton III.

Luis Scola was a great pick, but the brilliance of that selection was equally retarded by giving him up to a division rival for the financial flexibility to bring a certain ball-less Ginger who shall remain nameless on board.

Tiago Splitter seemed like a no-brainer, but the last couple seasons have highlighted a couple of the doubts that teams had about him going in (soft in the post, injury troubles, etc) and now he's found himself somewhere between being trade bait, or simply just wondering if he fits.

DeJuan Blair was a lucky pick, but apparently it wasn't just his knees that scared teams off, it was his height, and now he's another one of the players looking towards the door.

Marcus Denmon is the latest case of a question mark; seems to be a good, clutch player and a hard worker, but will his height prevent him from ever busting out of a ceiling any higher than a role player?

Maybe I'm just spoiled and/or don't follow the success of other teams drafts enough, because I suppose an argument could be made that even a 50% success rate is pretty damn good when you are constantly picking in the late 20s and late 50s. I guess my point is....if all Buford and Pop can pull out of the draft at this point is middle-ground talent, and the Spurs continue their habit of being snubbed by free-agents, doesn't that just keep them in the middle of the pack perennially (which is, debatably, the worst spot to be in with no championship hopes and no lottery picks to grow on?)

Russ
07-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Unlikely but not impossible. How many teams have won multiple titles since 1980 again?

Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Pistons, Spurs, Heat.

Rockets, too.

baseline bum
07-02-2012, 07:52 PM
I know dis nigga trollin, but I think Buford's talent in the draft gives them the ability to rebuild a competitive team in a few years after Duncan retires. Whether they can win a title again though? That's a huge jump from fielding a competitive team. That's going to require some luck in winning the lotto in a year when there's a legit franchise guy: for every Duncan, Shaq, or LeBron, there are a lot more consensus #1s like Rose, Iverson, Martin, Yao, Bibby (lol KandiAss going #1), Irving, Bargnani, Bogut, hell... even Howard... who aren't taking you to a title. It's a hell of a hill to climb.

racm
07-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Lottery era no 1s who won a title AS one of the top 3 players on his team:

D-Rob
Shaq
Duncan
LeBron

Lottery no 1s who won a title as a role player:

Glenn Robinson

Lottery no 1s who led their team to the Finals but didn't win it all:

Ewing
Iverson
Howard
LeBron (Cleveland)

So yeah, the draft is a crapshoot, but stumbling on two once in a lifetime players is like rolling two 20s in a row.

Russ
07-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Lottery era no 1s who won a title AS one of the top 3 players on his team:

D-Rob
Shaq
Duncan
LeBron

And only Duncan and D-Rob won with the team that drafted them. (And D-Rob doesn't win it if he's alone as the top guy on the team.)

racm
07-02-2012, 08:30 PM
And only Duncan and D-Rob won with the team that drafted them. (And D-Rob doesn't win it if he's alone as the top guy on the team.)

Yeah, even in the year the Admiral won MVP he got punked by the Dream... :depressed

It wasn't until they got Duncan that they went from excellent to dynasty.

Seventyniner
07-02-2012, 08:40 PM
So yeah, the draft is a crapshoot, but stumbling on two once in a lifetime players is like rolling two 20s in a row.

You can't roll a 20 in craps.

Nice DnD reference, though.

rascal
07-02-2012, 09:12 PM

I won't be alive on that day.

rascal
07-02-2012, 09:18 PM
The Spurs will not win another title. They will ride the current core group into the ground, and they will get worse with each passing year. The city will not support a loser for long and the Spurs will end up in St. Louis.

BatManu20
07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Possible but not probable. Let's face it, the dog days of Spurs basketball are upon us, and it's going to be a loooong time before we're even contending again. It would take another golden lottery ticket or two for us to win another title cause we all know we'll never lure a tope FA here. But, we'll always have the memories..

Spurious
07-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Haven't you watched the news? Before most of us are in the ground, global warming will have raised sea level 300 feet, meaning LA, Miami, NY, Boston, Philly, Houston, New Orleans and who knows what other NBA cities will be under water. SA will still be on dry ground and wreaking havoc on such perennial wannabes as Utah, Denver and Atlanta.

racm
07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Possible but not probable. Let's face it, the dog days of Spurs basketball are upon us, and it's going to be a loooong time before we're even contending again. It would take another golden lottery ticket or two for us to win another title cause we all know we'll never lure a tope FA here. But, we'll always have the memories..

How many titles do the Knicks have again?

spurraider21
07-02-2012, 09:52 PM
It's been our last run for 3 years in a row. I'm looking forward to another "last run" followed by a shitload of cap space next offseason

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Real talk.

The NBA is increasingly becoming a league of haves and have-nots (it's always been that way really, but much moreso now), and a good system/good coaching can only take you so far as last year's WCF proved.

With that being said, the harsh reality is that no significant FA has ever signed with SA (from another team). They have drafted a very good bigman (D-Rob), and the greatest PF of all-time (Duncan) and ridden those two to 25 years of competitive basketball--and 14 years of being contenders.

The window has closed on this bunch now, and no heir apparent looms on the horizon. San Antonio is doomed to become the Atlanta Hawks for quite some time after this.

Taking all that into account, have we seen the last of the Spurs ringing?

Two things:

1) we lost the WCF because OKC made a statistically aberrant number of long 2s (ie. shot the lights out), not because the system failed.

2) who the hell knows? Anything can happen in sports. Hell, I thought the window closed two years ago, and I never thought last season's team would be as good as they were, nor that we'd add Diaw and Jax at the deadline and almost go all the way but for aforesaid freakish shooting.

Yes, it looks like our reign as the winningest franchise in pro sports is coming to an end, but you never know.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Yeah, even in the year the Admiral won MVP he got punked by the Dream... :depressed

It wasn't until they got Duncan that they went from excellent to dynasty.

Don't buy the hater koolaid. DRob got punked that year because of the team - he had to cover Hakeem straight-up (and yes, Hakeem straight-up was unstoppable, everyone knew that) because the Rockets had deadly 3pt shooters all over the floor, while Houston threw double-teams at DRob all series because our outside shooting was mostly garbage. Hakeem had a far superior supporting cast than DRob ever had.

DontStopBelieving
07-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Greater chance than the Bills of ever winning a Super Bowl

Poolboy5623
07-02-2012, 11:37 PM
The spurs are sadly on their way to becoming the Utah jazz. ..competitive with good players, that nobody else is really after. .can they win one b4 this transformation? I sure hope so but I have my doubts...not enough assets or $$ to make the moves needed:(

therealtruth
07-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Don't buy the hater koolaid. DRob got punked that year because of the team - he had to cover Hakeem straight-up (and yes, Hakeem straight-up was unstoppable, everyone knew that) because the Rockets had deadly 3pt shooters all over the floor, while Houston threw double-teams at DRob all series because our outside shooting was mostly garbage. Hakeem had a far superior supporting cast than DRob ever had.

Hakeem dominated Shaq in the Finals that year. That's was the last time Shaq ever lost his matchup.

racm
07-03-2012, 03:05 AM

Imagine if DRob had the 2003 or 2012 supporting cast.

Greater chance than the Bills of ever winning a Super Bowl

Or OKC of winning the Finals :stirpot:

LongtimeSpursFan
07-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Yes!