PDA

View Full Version : Nando De Colo in SA for Physical

ace3g
07-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Basket Info ‏@Basketlnfo

Tony Parker et Nando De Colo (tests physiques chez les Spurs) de retour en France vendredi, Nicolas Batum attendu en fin de semaine

Thanks to Bruno for translation

timvp
07-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Wow. I guess they must be signing him. Why else would he have to pass a physical?

Good news if that's the case.

:tu

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Good news.

stxspurs
07-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Maybe physical for those invited to camp?

bklynspursfan
07-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Good stuff.

dylankerouac
07-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Crossing my fingers.

Sense
07-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Awesome, about time we see him in a Spurs uniform, I hope he's ready.

Luxic
07-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Training camp invitees are signed to regular contracts, with the only difference being that the money (which is usually unguaranteed anyway) doesn't count towards cap and taxes if they're cut before opening night.

So, if you decided to sign a draft pick for the training camp and then you cut him, you would lose the rights to him (e.g. James Gist in 2010).

elemento
07-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Nice

loveforthegame
07-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Crossing my fingers.

timvp
07-03-2012, 12:15 PM

Nah, much too early for that.If the Spurs aren't signing him, the only other explanation I can think of is the Spurs want to see him workout in person before they decide whether to extend a contract offer.

But my guess is he's going to sign. They've scouted him enough to know whether or not they want him.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Heeeeeeeere we go

Solid D
07-03-2012, 12:18 PM
So, apparently, De Colo and TP are expected back in France on Friday. Is it safe to infer that the Spurs have officially cleared Tony to travel?

Darkwaters
07-03-2012, 12:21 PM
What are we thinking here? LLE?

The_Worlds_finest
07-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Can someone give me an nba comparison for De Colo?

Bruno
07-03-2012, 12:23 PM
So, apparently, De Colo and TP are expected back in France on Friday. Is it safe to infer that the Spurs have officially cleared Tony to travel?

Parker will flight to New York Thursday and be back in France Friday. The doctor that has forbid him to flight to the USA before July 5th was the surgeon who worked on his eye in France. He has too made a trip to Genova to have another opinion on his eye.

All signs point in the direction that Parker will be cleared to play after that trip to NY. Everybody seems optimistic in the FNT and the coach has already cut 2 PGs.

Darkwaters
07-03-2012, 12:25 PM
If the Spurs ink both De Colo and retain Mills then Marcus Denmon should play Vegas then sign in Europe for a season or two. James Gist style.

timvp
07-03-2012, 12:25 PM
What are we thinking here? LLE?

Yeah, the BAE (that's what the LLE is called now) is probably the ceiling. BAE max is $4M over two years.

ace3g
07-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Equipe France Basket ‏@FRABasketball

Nando De Colo est à San Antonio pour passer des tests physiques dans le cadre de sa négociation de contrat avec les Spurs. Retour le 6.

--

Nando De Colo is in San Antonio to pass physical tests as part of its contract negotiations with the Spurs. Back on 6.

Libri
07-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Good to hear. I suspect he'll get ton's of playing time in summer league.

Bruno
07-03-2012, 12:28 PM
BTW, the source of this if a press release from the french federation:
http://www.ffbb.com/_actu/page_m.php?d=actu&p=actu&id=8692

Nando De Colo, qui doit passer des tests physiques à San Antonio dans le cadre de négociations avec la franchise texane, devrait être de retour à Orléans le vendredi 6 juillet dans la journée.

Nando De Colo, who has to pass physical tests in San Antonio, in the context of negotiations with the Texas franchise, should be back in Orleans (that's where FNT is) Friday.

timvp
07-03-2012, 12:31 PM

De Colo will be with the French national team. No summer league.

I guess it's possible that this could just be a case of getting the physical out of the way now while the two sides continue to negotiate. That makes a little bit of sense since De Colo will be busy with the FNT in coming weeks.

But I've never heard of the Spurs giving a physical to a player they aren't about to sign . . .

Libri
07-03-2012, 12:32 PM

No it won't, interfere's with the Olympics.

DPG21920
07-03-2012, 12:32 PM
So is he a back up PG for the Spurs or SG more than likely?

Libri
07-03-2012, 12:35 PM
De Colo will be with the French national team. No summer league.

I guess it's possible that this could just be a case of getting the physical out of the way now while the two sides continue to negotiate. That makes a little bit of sense since De Colo will be busy with the FNT in coming weeks.

But I've never heard of the Spurs giving a physical to a player they aren't about to sign . . .

I'm glad that we will get to see the games.

temujin
07-03-2012, 12:40 PM
De Colo is NOT looking for contracts in Europe.

Insider.

timvp
07-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Too bad Diaw isn't traveling back too. The Spurs could check Parker's eye, finish up the contracts with Diaw and De Colo, and then send them back to Old Orleans.

pad300
07-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Yeah, the BAE (that's what the LLE is called now) is probably the ceiling. BAE max is $4M over two years.

I don't really think it can be anything else. I can't believe de Colo would come over for the min, and we'd better not be using the MLE (not when we need it for big men)!

The only question is does he get all of the BAE. Do I recall correctly something about how it only actually becomes bi-annual if you use the whole exception ($2 Million/year), otherwise you can use it again next year?

TMT®
07-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Awesome news if true. Now let's amnesty Bonner and get Lorbek over here.

sehui
07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Ive seen some of his highlights from the 2011 euroleague.

He definitely has the physique, looks like he has a solid passing skillset at 6'5.

Ball handling looks a little iffy, but we'll see and he is 6'5. From what I saw, this dude has like barely any athleticism, and his vertical isn't anything to brag about.

His driving in game looks interesting, he kind has a manu esque type of skillset, utilizing the eurostep and driving left and finishing (despite being right handed).

Hope someone who actually has seen him in full games can contribute more..I really hope this guy can be our solid backup PG who has strong ball security.

smaka
07-03-2012, 01:02 PM
LOL@the front office bringing in even more soft white euros to surround Tim Duncan with.

De Culo
Lorbek
Splitter
Bonner

LOLOLOLOLOL!

You didn't pass geography, did you?

Bruno
07-03-2012, 01:07 PM
I like this move if he indeed signs with Spurs.

While I'm not 100% sure that De Colo will succeed in the NBA, he should be cheap and he is a good player so it's a good gamble. He is a very strong offensive player and is cold blooded.

smaka
07-03-2012, 01:10 PM
I like this move if he indeed signs with Spurs.

While I'm not 100% sure that De Colo will succeed in the NBA, he should be cheap and he is a good player so it's a good gamble. He is a very strong offensive player and is cold blooded.

which position do you see him playing in the NBA?

Bruno
07-03-2012, 01:16 PM
which position do you see him playing in the NBA?

I see him playing both PG and SG depending on the matchups and where the playing time is.

Phenomanul
07-03-2012, 01:20 PM
He can handle the rock better than Mr. Neal... so that's a plus... and from what little clips are available he seems to be a capable playmaker too...

Duncan2177
07-03-2012, 01:30 PM
He's a PG right? So if we bring him over that gives us Tony, Patty Mills (if he resigns), Cory Joseph, and Nando with Gary Neal serving as an emergency PG.

Seems a tad crowded.

SenorSpur
07-03-2012, 01:32 PM
He's a PG right? So if we bring him over that gives us Tony, Patty Mills (if he resigns), Cory Joseph, and Nando with Gary Neal serving as an emergency PG.

Seems a tad crowded.

Let us scratch Gary Neal from this list and refrain from mentioning him as a backup PG ever again. Experiment FAILED:

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 01:33 PM

Seems a tad crowded.

Neal=trade bait.

stxspurs
07-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Let us scratch Gary Neal from this list and refrain from mentioning him as a backup PG ever again. Experiment FAILED:

Amen brotha!

ro_50
07-03-2012, 01:36 PM
This is question for the Euro experts. Could you play De Colo and Parker together in spot mins? Does he play the PG or SG better?

Trill Clinton
07-03-2012, 01:52 PM
nice

SenorSpur
07-03-2012, 01:59 PM

He definitely has the physique, looks like he has a solid passing skillset at 6'5.

Ball handling looks a little iffy, but we'll see and he is 6'5. From what I saw, this dude has like barely any athleticism, and his vertical isn't anything to brag about.

His driving in game looks interesting, he kind has a manu esque type of skillset, utilizing the eurostep and driving left and finishing (despite being right handed).

Hope someone who actually has seen him in full games can contribute more..I really hope this guy can be our solid backup PG who has strong ball security.

I've only seen minimal highlights of De Colo, so I'm not going to slam him before he gets here. While I certainly hope that between De Colo and Mills, the Spurs will have addressed the gaping hole at backup PG, I am concerned about the "lack of athleticism" comment regarding De Colo.

The Spurs are getting owned in the playoffs, in part, because, as a whole, this team generally lacks length, quickness and athleticism - especially on the defensive end. I just don't see how adding a couple of plodding Euro players (Lorbek & De Colo) helps address one of the Spurs main deficiencies.

I'm open to being talked off the ledge.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm open to being talked off the ledge.It's more fun having you there tbh.

Trill Clinton
07-03-2012, 02:08 PM

Seems a tad crowded.

I can see Joseph being traded.

SenorSpur
07-03-2012, 02:09 PM
It's more fun having you there tbh.

That's not fair. :lol

phxspurfan
07-03-2012, 02:09 PM
If he's anything like his mixtape, that's a good signing!

lpbh85sHUfw

Knoxxx
07-03-2012, 02:14 PM
I can't see De Colo being any less athletic than Neal. I can certainly see him being a better ball handler. That alone improves our roster, and we may even keep Neal to boot. Mills, I just never saw him be much of a facilitator for us.

Minimum Salary = De Colo, + some small piece of the MLE (possibly and if permitted)

I think we will not use the full MLE on either Lorbek or Diaw, but instead give one the BAE, then supplement with some of the MLE money.

You can bet Spurs will employ the MLE to the maximum extent possible. Lorbek/Diaw/De Colo may all get pieces of it, assuming you can allocate towards as many players as you want, in addition to some other player we may not even be thinking about yet.

temujin
07-03-2012, 02:18 PM

De colo did not play Euroleague basketball (top 32 teams in Europe).
Rather Eurocup, which could be equivalent to D league.

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Minimum Salary = De Colo, + some small piece of the MLE (possibly and if permitted)

I think we will not use the full MLE on either Lorbek or Diaw, but instead give one the BAE, then supplement with some of the MLE money.

No go on both.

Exceptions can be split to sign more than one player, but you can't combine parts of different exceptions in a single contract.

Extremely unlikely that De Colo signs for the minimum or that we can get either Diaw or Lorbek for the BAE.

Best case scenario is that they fit both De Colo and Diaw into the MLE and retain the BAE to go after a project big on the open market.

Brazil
07-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Nando is a combo 1 and 2 now I think he is more a SG than a PG now considering SG athleticism in the nba I can see him spend some time at PG

Spurs Brazil
07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
And McDonald and Monroe with no news again :lol

temujin
07-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Parker and De Colo played alot together at the same time while playing with France at PG and SG and were very effective.

De Colo is a poor man's Manu Ginobli, that is the way I would describe him. He has a very good pull up jumper, can hit the open 3 ball, has really good ball handles, is a creative passer. Manu is quicker than De Colo but De Colo is pretty quick in his own right.

De Colo can guard at the NBA level as well. He has like a 6'7"+ wingspan with his 6'5" frame, which helps him stay in front of quicker guards in the Spanish league like Navarro and Llull.

I can't think of a more improbable comparison than De Colo-Ginobili.
When he went to the Spurs Ginobili was far and away the best player in Europe, in fact, Euroleague MVP, and a legend already.
De Colo didn't even play Euroleague basketball.

De Colo reminds a bit of a very very poor man Vinnie Del Negro.

temujin
07-03-2012, 02:31 PM
No go on both.

Exceptions can be split to sign more than one player, but you can't combine parts of different exceptions in a single contract.

Extremely unlikely that De Colo signs for the minimum or that we can get either Diaw or Lorbek for the BAE.

Best case scenario is that they fit both De Colo and Diaw into the MLE and retain the BAE to go after a project big on the open market.

Either it's the minimum or he should get back to Europe where he would get far less than the minimum.
I don't know whether he will be good, but sure enough he is going to be cheap.

T Park
07-03-2012, 02:33 PM

:rolleyes

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Either it's the minimum or he should get back to Europe where he would get far less than the minimum.

I hope you're right. It would give the Spurs much more flexibility.

btw- minimum 1st year salary for a second round draft pick is around 500K. Do you really think he would get far less than that if he stayed in Europe?

DPG21920
07-03-2012, 03:26 PM
He almost reminds me of a craftier/smaller Mike Dunleavy. I still don't know his position in the NBA but I have to believe he will serve very much the same role as Neal.

Keepin' it real
07-03-2012, 03:28 PM

Why would they report anything? They cater to the average Spurs fan, not to spurstalk fanatics.

If you told the average Spurs fan that "Nando de Colo" was in San Antonio for a physical, the replies you would get would be:

Como que "Nando De Colo"?
Who (or what) the fuck is that?
Why should I give a shit?

temujin
07-03-2012, 03:28 PM
I hope you're right. It would give the Spurs much more flexibility.

btw- minimum 1st year salary for a second round draft pick is around 500K. Do you really think he would get far less than that if he stayed in Europe?

I'd be very surprised if De Colo could sign for more than 0.3 M in Europe.
The guy is essentailly Euroleague untested and budgets are tight these days, except for Russian and Turkish teams. Which are largely covered at PG.

My information is that De Colo will sign for the Spurs for whatever they propose.

From the Spurs point of view, it's some sort of insurance for whatever happens with Mills.

dylankerouac
07-03-2012, 03:30 PM

I don't keep up with the Euro-league but I was under the impression that they played fewer games than the 82 game NBA regular season. Might he make more money per game over there?

Not that I want him to stay over there.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-03-2012, 03:38 PM
If he can give versatility, then I think this is a good prospect. If he's tall for a PG but can't cover anyone from lack of athleticism, then I'm curious if our recent draft pick might be just as good of an option even if he is shorter. Obviously, only time will tell.

From the comments above, it sounds like De Colo won't be in Summer League and would get a guaranteed contract...which with CoJo, Neal, possibly Mills hanging around, this doesn't give a lot of room for the new draft pick to get on the team.

temujin
07-03-2012, 03:40 PM
I don't keep up with the Euro-league but I was under the impression that they played fewer games than the 82 game NBA regular season. Might he make more money per game over there?

Not that I want him to stay over there.

You end up playing some 50/60 games on a good team that reaches EL Top 16 and PO in the national tournments.
Honestly, I think De Colo would benefit from playing one year on a good EL team.

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 03:43 PM
I'd be very surprised if De Colo could sign for more than 0.3 M in Europe.
The guy is essentailly Euroleague untested and budgets are tight these days, except for Russian and Turkish teams. Which are largely covered at PG.

My information is that De Colo will sign for the Spurs for whatever they propose.

From the Spurs point of view, it's some sort of insurance for whatever happens with Mills.

That would be awesome for the Spurs.

You called Splitter's deal when most of us thought he would get much more.

Hope you're right again.

timvp
07-03-2012, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't classify De Colo as unathletic. He's not James White! but he's not a Kapano/Korver/Neal/RMJ type non-athlete. He can move.

Now is he athletic enough to be a point guard at 6-foot-5 in the NBA? That's tough to say because he'd have to be a really good athlete to pull it off.

temujin
07-03-2012, 03:56 PM

Hope you're right again.

Good memory.

There were rumors here that Bo McCalebb was in talk with the Spurs.
Actually, he would have been my choice, and perfect for the Spurs system.
His coach then signed for Fenherbace and quickly called him up. He will sign in Turkey and I doubt for less than 2 M.
No way Spurs would match.

Hence De Colo.

I am also curious about the outcome of the Lorbek signing, bacause he did have an offer from CSKA.

GB20
07-03-2012, 03:58 PM
nando de colo could be next ricky rubio

DPG21920
07-03-2012, 04:00 PM

Hope you're right again.

That's what gives me hope - even in the midst of bigs getting bad deals when Tiago came over, Spurs still came away with a great deal (even if he showed nothing - a player of his caliber usually gets more).

If De Colo is signed for a minimum contract, that would be another great value and it would really help (potentially because we don't know if the Bae will really help the Spurs land anyone they need/want) the Spurs to maximize their chances in FA.

DPG21920
07-03-2012, 04:00 PM

He has already failed if that is your expectation :lol

temujin
07-03-2012, 04:04 PM

Yeap, both have family names ending in o.

Knoxxx
07-03-2012, 04:04 PM
So I will change my prediction:

De Colo = minimum
BAE = Diaw or Lorbek
MLE = partial to Diaw or Lorbek (whichever we can't get with the BAE)

We'll take Lorbek over Diaw, if it comes to that, to improve the team.

Is Diaw restricted, by the way? It would be nice to let the market confirm/deny his value, which is WAAAY below $9 million these days, IMO.

GB20
07-03-2012, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=DPG21920;6006872]He has already failed if that is your expectation :lol[/QUOTE

god said to have faith :lol

temujin
07-03-2012, 04:08 PM
So what would the Spurs be able to offer to LorbeK?

SenorSpur
07-03-2012, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't classify De Colo as unathletic. He's not James White! but he's not a Kapano/Korver/Neal/RMJ type non-athlete. He can move.

Now is he athletic enough to be a point guard at 6-foot-5 in the NBA? That's tough to say because he'd have to be a really good athlete to pull it off.

I guess after what we all saw from the failed Gary Neal experiment, almost anything else would be an upgrade.

Ocotillo
07-03-2012, 04:14 PM
If he can give versatility, then I think this is a good prospect. If he's tall for a PG but can't cover anyone from lack of athleticism, then I'm curious if our recent draft pick might be just as good of an option even if he is shorter. Obviously, only time will tell.

From the comments above, it sounds like De Colo won't be in Summer League and would get a guaranteed contract...which with CoJo, Neal, possibly Mills hanging around, this doesn't give a lot of room for the new draft pick to get on the team.

Hmmm, that provoked a thought that maybe they would be a second team backcourt combo. I know I am getting way ahead of myself here but, on offense De Colo would be the point but on defense, he would guard the opposing teams shooting guard while Marcus guards the point.

Would that work?

pad300
07-03-2012, 04:16 PM
So what would the Spurs be able to offer to LorbeK?

The absolute maximum they can put on the Table is a full MLE deal - approximately 5.1 Million $US + 8% yearly raises, for 4 years = ~23 Million $US.
That, unlike Euro salaries is pre-taxes.

I'd expect something more like 10 or 11 Million $US/3 years. Which is the kind of money Splitter came over for.

Bruno
07-03-2012, 04:25 PM
If De Colo signs for the minimum, it means that he would have taken a major paycut compared to what he could have earned in Europe. My guess is that is salary per year will be around $1M-$1.5M.

Darkwaters
07-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Hmmm, that provoked a thought that maybe they would be a second team backcourt combo. I know I am getting way ahead of myself here but, on offense De Colo would be the point but on defense, he would guard the opposing teams shooting guard while Marcus guards the point.

Would that work?

Sure. It's been done before with players like Daniel Gibson and Jason Terry.

Darkwaters
07-03-2012, 04:37 PM

James White!

temujin
07-03-2012, 04:38 PM
If De Colo signs for the minimum, it means that he would have taken a major paycut compared to what he could have earned in Europe. My guess is that is salary per year will be around $1M-$1.5M.

So what team would pay De Colo more than the minimum in Europe?

Bruno
07-03-2012, 04:48 PM
So what team would pay De Colo more than the minimum in Europe?

Barcelona, for example.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-03-2012, 04:49 PM
He seems to have good size but how physical is he? While Stern could very well change his mind again, this last years playoffs was hearkening back to the years where the postseason really was a different style of basketball with its physicality. I stopped looking for pushing fouls out on the perimeter after the first round. Can DeColo handle that?

temujin
07-03-2012, 04:53 PM
The absolute maximum they can put on the Table is a full MLE deal - approximately 5.1 Million $US + 8% yearly raises, for 4 years = ~23 Million $US.
That, unlike Euro salaries is pre-taxes.

I'd expect something more like 10 or 11 Million $US/3 years. Which is the kind of money Splitter came over for.

I would think something less, like 6/7 M, 2 years, could be sufficient.
CSKA could match, but I don't think they will throw more money to him.

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 04:59 PM

How do you rate the chances that he would sign for 2yr/4M? That's the amount of the BAE, which is the only tool the Spurs possess other than the MLE to offer a contract greater than the minimum.

Lorbek accepting the BAE, assuming you are right about Nando for the minimum, is the only way for the Spurs to sign both Diaw and Lorbek (I'm further assuming that there is no way that Diaw considers the BAE).

TD 21
07-03-2012, 05:03 PM
So is he a back up PG for the Spurs or SG more than likely?

Both. Despite the over the top analysis by many, I'd be surprised if the Spurs view him as anything more than the fifth guard for next season and possibly the following one, as well. If Mills is in fact brought back with the intention to make him the primary backup point (Neal would presumably be traded in this scenario), it's not out of the question that De Colo could leapfrog him or a player of similar caliber, though. But let's not forget, there's a long list of European combo guards in the past ten years who have flamed out in the league.

temujin
07-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Barcelona, for example.

Not sure. If that's the case, De Colo should stay in Spain and have a good year of Euroleague basketball. Even if I doubt he would start for barcelona.
The guy totally lacks experience at a certain level.
My infos are signalling De Colo is not even exploring the market at all in Europe.

I think a lot of people here -not you for sure- are unaware of how good the Spurs knowledge of the European market is.

pad300
07-03-2012, 05:04 PM

The Spurs will almost assuredly want a 3 year deal - that way they have full Bird rights. If you are right, 8-9 M, 3 years, would be a pretty good deal for both parties.
I think that would leave SA enough MLE left over to get Boris Diaw as well (~11 Million, 4 years)...

PS. How much do you hear about Kirilenko leaving CKSA? It's been mentioned in the press a few times, but I can't see it happening without Kirilenko giving up a fair bit of Money (he's on 3M Euro post taxes). Discussion is here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6006897

Budkin
07-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Sweet! :tu

Bruno
07-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Not sure. If that's the case, De Colo should stay in Spain and have a good year of Euroleague basketball. Even if I doubt he would start for barcelona.
The guy totally lacks experience at a certain level.
My infos are signalling De Colo is not even exploring the market at all in Europe.

I think a lot of people here -not you for sure- are unaware of how good the Spurs knowledge of the European market is.

It's not surprising that De Colo isn't exploring the European market at all. His agent said weeks ago that his priority was to sign with Spurs and that Spurs wanted him too.

I quite disagree with you on De Colo lacking high level experience. It's sure that he has only played one year the Euroleague but the Spanish league is at a high level too. For example, this year, he has played 14 games in Spain against teams that were playing the Euroleague too. He has too played a big role in some key games for France at the 2011 Eurobasket.

ace3g
07-03-2012, 05:16 PM
In the Olympics we will get a good benchmark of him when France plays either Argentina, Brazil, Spain, and/or USA.

temujin
07-03-2012, 05:18 PM
How do you rate the chances that he would sign for 2yr/4M? That's the amount of the BAE, which is the only tool the Spurs possess other than the MLE to offer a contract greater than the minimum.

Lorbek accepting the BAE, assuming you are right about Nando for the minimum, is the only way for the Spurs to sign both Diaw and Lorbek (I'm further assuming that there is no way that Diaw considers the BAE).

To me, a short, 2 years contract for Lorbek would be better than a longer one.
OK, injuries and all, but all considered, at 28, if he plays well, he'll soon be in a position to negotiate a much bigger, Scola-like deal.

However, 1,6M Euros per year might be on the low side: CSKA has an NBA-like budget, they were able to lure Kirilenko and Krstic away from the NBA and Teodosic from Greece (and from the NBA, although Teodosic might follow the Bodiroga pathway at that).
I think they can throw 2.5 M Euros at him.
On top there is a lot of respect between Lorbek and Messina: essentially the first thing after Messina was back to Moscow was that he made an offer to Lorbek.
That' why I wrote the Lorbek situation is more complex that what it seems.

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 05:20 PM
To me, a short, 2 years contract for Lorbek would be better than a longer one.
OK, injuries and all, but all considered, at 28, if he plays well, he'll soon be in a position to negotiate a much bigger, Scola-like deal.

However, 1,6M Euros per year might be on the low side: CSKA has an NBA-like budget, they were able to lure Kirilenko and Krstic away from the NBA and Teodosic from Greece (and from the NBA, although Teodosic might follow the Bodiroga pathway at that).
I think they can throw 2.5 M Euros at him.
On top there is a lot of respect between Lorbek and Messina: essentially the first thing after Messina was back to Moscow was that he made an offer to Lorbek.
That' why I wrote the Lorbek situation is more complex that what it seems.

Thanks.

Floyd Pacquiao
07-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Holy sh#t spurs stacked at guard

timvp
07-03-2012, 05:21 PM
The Spurs will almost assuredly want a 3 year deal - that way they have full Bird rights.

I think a two-year contract would be okay for the Spurs. They'd have Early Bird rights and would be covered by the Gilbert Arenas Rule in case another team tried to steal him.

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 05:24 PM
I think a two-year contract would be okay for the Spurs. They'd have Early Bird rights and would be covered by the Gilbert Arenas Rule in case another team tried to steal him.

Then there's the suggestion Bruno made a while back to make the BAE more palatable by including a player option for the second year. Lorbek could be in next summer's FA market and the Spurs would still be covered by the Arenas rule.

temujin
07-03-2012, 05:30 PM
It's not surprising that De Colo isn't exploring the European market at all. His agent said weeks ago that his priority was to sign with Spurs and that Spurs wanted him too.

I quite disagree with you on De Colo lacking high level experience. It's sure that he has only played one year the Euroleague but the Spanish league is at a high level too. For example, this year, he has played 14 games in Spain against teams that were playing the Euroleague too. He has too played a big role in some key games for France at the 2011 Eurobasket.

Exactly. That gives the Spurs a pretty good position to negotiate. Basically the guy wants to cross the ocean and that's it. Give him the minimum and he'll play.

As for the second point, I do agree that the Spanish league is tough with a lot of good games, yet he has yet to play for the favourite team anywhere. The perspective, in my experience, changes completely when you are on a team that HAS to win. He was simply never in that position including with the French national team.
Spurs are going to be like that. Very very different.

temujin
07-03-2012, 05:36 PM
The Spurs will almost assuredly want a 3 year deal - that way they have full Bird rights. If you are right, 8-9 M, 3 years, would be a pretty good deal for both parties.
I think that would leave SA enough MLE left over to get Boris Diaw as well (~11 Million, 4 years)...

PS. How much do you hear about Kirilenko leaving CKSA? It's been mentioned in the press a few times, but I can't see it happening without Kirilenko giving up a fair bit of Money (he's on 3M Euro post taxes). Discussion is here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6006897

Personally, I think Kirilenko would LOOK great with the Spurs, but, for whatever reason, the guy just never gets it done.
Including this year Euroleague. They looked unbeatable and then they lost.
I'd go for Lorbek, still.

DPG21920
07-03-2012, 05:40 PM
AK offers more upside IMO and is way more proven (in the NBA). If it's a legit shot for AK or Lorbek that is an easy decision to me - you go AK. He is about as versatile as Boris (can hanlde the ball and is a great passer), but is a much better all around defender too.

temujin
07-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Then there's the suggestion Bruno made a while back to make the BAE more palatable by including a player option for the second year. Lorbek could be in next summer's FA market and the Spurs would still be covered by the Arenas rule.

That would be even better, actually.

Keepin' it real
07-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Why would they report anything? They cater to the average Spurs fan, not to spurstalk fanatics.

If you told the average Spurs fan that "Nando de Colo" was in San Antonio for a physical, the replies you would get would be:

Como que "Nando De Colo"?
Who (or what) the fuck is that?
Why should I give a shit?

Yep, I asked my GF, who is your typical fair-weather Spurs fan. Twice I said to her, "Nando De Colo is in San Antonio for a physical." Both times, she busted out laughing before I could finish saying De Colo's last name.

Now that I think about it, if he signs, Steven A. Smith will have yet another name to make fun of:

Ti-a-go SSSplitter
Patty
and now, "Nando De Colo"

He'll have a field day with that one.

Bruno
Exactly. That gives the Spurs a pretty good position to negotiate. Basically the guy wants to cross the ocean and that's it. Give him the minimum and he'll play.

Well, it's possible that most of the negotiations have been made in May/June.

De Colo isn't too without a backup plan. If he doesn't sign with Spurs, his wish is to play the Euroleague with a Spanish team. That's another reason why you don't hear about him on the European market transfer: his agent is just staying in touch with a couple of Spanish teams.

temujin
AK offers more upside IMO and is way more proven (in the NBA). If it's a legit shot for AK or Lorbek that is an easy decision to me - you go AK. He is about as versatile as Boris (can hanlde the ball and is a great passer), but is a much better all around defender too.

In theory.
To me Kirilenko is in theory better.
The whole basketball career of Kirilenko has been a long theory.

DPG21920
07-03-2012, 05:49 PM
He has had some pretty special years in the NBA in my opinion. He is a very capable player in reality from my point of view.

temujin
07-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Well, it's possible that most of the negotiations have been made in May/June.

De Colo isn't too without a backup plan. If he doesn't sign with Spurs, his wish is to play the Euroleague with a Spanish team. That's another reason why you don't hear about him on the European market transfer: his agent is just staying in touch with a couple of Spanish teams.

Quite possible.

OK folks, need to go to sleep.

pad300
07-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Personally, I think Kirilenko would LOOK great with the Spurs, but, for whatever reason, the guy just never gets it done.
Including this year Euroleague. They looked unbeatable and then they lost.
I'd go for Lorbek, still.

He's had what, one shot at getting it done - this years Euroleague. Anything can happen in a single elimination tournament final... The rest of his time has been with Utah, post Stockton/Malone - he's never had anything there to "get it done".

TMTTRIO
07-03-2012, 06:15 PM
I don't know why almost every euro guard out there is compared to the next Manu? Must be really easy.

ace3g
07-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Plus Kirilenko isn't built to be a star, he is more of a complementary player, perfect addition to a team like the Spurs. Some players aren't meant to avg 20/10; yet get criticized by fans that don't understand their skill set.

BackHome
07-03-2012, 08:22 PM
I don't know why almost every euro guard out there is compared to the next Manu? Must be really easy.

I think it is because of his ball handling skills and the way he is able to find the open man and off course the no look between your legs pass....ie..Manu

ElNono
07-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Another frenchman? SMH... maybe we lucky out and he surrenders before signing the contract...

AFBlue
07-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Another frenchman? SMH... maybe we lucky out and he surrenders before signing the contract...

You've acclimated to America quite nicely.

tesseractive
07-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Holy sh#t spurs stacked at guard
Stacked is when you have a lot of players that can actually play. After Parker, Ginobili, and Danny Green, everybody is one big question mark, and even Green is still a below-average starter in the league.

Still, I'm fine with having a lot of possibilities, since it means that we're not putting all our eggs in one unproven basket. Hopefully someone will come in and prove they belong in the rotation.

DPG21920
07-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Nono - you accidentally put blue as the color of your text.

AFBlue
07-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Stacked is when you have a lot of players that can actually play. After Parker, Ginobili, and Danny Green, everybody is one big question mark, and even Green is still a below-average starter in the league.

Still, I'm fine with having a lot of possibilities, since it means that we're not putting all our eggs in one unproven basket. Hopefully someone will come in and prove they belong in the rotation.

The difference is this one can shoot AND pass...makes it much less likely we ever see Neal in that PG role again, thank God.

AFBlue
07-03-2012, 09:00 PM

He was being festive...tomorrow is Independence Day after all.

ElNono
07-03-2012, 09:13 PM

:lol

tesseractive
07-03-2012, 09:50 PM
The difference is this one can shoot AND pass...makes it much less likely we ever see Neal in that PG role again, thank God.
Don't get me wrong -- I'm totally in support of bringing in De Colo. For that matter, I'm amped about Denmon too, probably beyond what I should be. :lol

I just think it's way too early to talk about how great it is that we have so much depth at guard. We need to see what these guys can actually do in games -- and even more importantly, in the playoffs -- before we know how many guys we have that we can actually depend on.

timvp
07-03-2012, 10:08 PM
The more that I think about it, if the Spurs are signing him, it may very well be for the minimum. De Colo wants to come to the NBA. The Spurs rarely spend their BAE and probably wouldn't spend it until they make sure they fill other positions of need. Honestly, does anyone think the Spurs would spend their BAE before they know which bigman they will land and if they'll need to replace Green? That would be too risky judging by how safe and methodical the Spurs usually act in the summer.

If the Spurs told De Colo that they want him but only have the minimum to offer, he may very well take the deal with an eye at a payoff down the line. Playing in the NBA with potentially two countrymen also on the team for $500K isn't exactly slumming it. If he does well, he'll bank eventually.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Hmmmm, I'd like to think signing another french guy to the team increases our chances for keeping Diaw, but for some reason this makes me think Diaw is gone

pad300
07-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Heh, if we actually achieve what has been suggested in this thread - de Colo for the minimum, and Lorbek for a BAE contract with a player option after the first year (assuming the Arenas rule would apply), we would be in awesome shape. That would leave us with a full MLE contract to add a big - Kirilenko would be a real possibility....

Duncan/Tiago/Blair
Kirilenko/Lorbek/Bonner
Kawhi/SJax
Green/Manu/Neal
Parker/De Colo/Denmon

that is a stacked roster...

tesseractive
07-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Heh, if we actually achieve what has been suggested in this thread - de Colo for the minimum, and Lorbek for a BAE contract with a player option after the first year (assuming the Arenas rule would apply), we would be in awesome shape. That would leave us with a full MLE contract to add a big - Kirilenko would be a real possibility....

Duncan/Tiago/Blair
Kirilenko/Lorbek/Bonner
Kawhi/SJax
Green/Manu/Neal
Parker/De Colo/Denmon

that is a stacked roster...

And it doesn't count our QO to Mills or the fact that Joseph is under contract. If we kept both, we might even get to amnesty Bonner on the grounds that we ran out of roster space. :lol

ElNono
07-04-2012, 12:15 AM
All this could simply be due diligence by the Spurs too... if the guy has some injury in the Olympics, the Spurs might want to know if he had a prior, structural issue there or if it's just a first time occurrence.

It could also simply be that the Spurs want to know if he has a physical issue before tending an offer, whatever that offer ends up being.

temujin
07-04-2012, 02:55 AM
He was being festive...tomorrow is Independence Day after all.

More likely, he was being festive on that 30 years anniversary of surrending.....

Bruno
07-04-2012, 04:29 AM
De Colo tweeted a couple of hours ago that he was at the airport in Paris ready to come to SA.

When you look at the timing of this trip, he will basically spend one day in SA and spend something like 30 hours in travel to do so. It damn looks like De Colo and Spurs have agreed to a contract and he will pass his physical to finalize it. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Spurs making a press conference Thursday with him.

temujin
07-04-2012, 05:51 AM
De Colo tweeted a couple of hours ago that he was at the airport in Paris ready to come to SA.

When you look at the timing of this trip, he will basically spend one day in SA and spend something like 30 hours in travel to do so. It damn looks like De Colo and Spurs have agreed to a contract and he will pass his physical to finalize it. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Spurs making a press conference Thursday with him.

If the Spurs hang on a bit more, chances are De Colo will be actually paying to play for the Spurs...

racm
07-04-2012, 06:28 AM
If De Colo does end up being the piece to put the :lobt: on the Spurs cabinet again, even if he doesn't do much...

jiggy_55
07-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Ya he's not in SA yet he's probably landing in SA shortly...and definitely will come to SA to sign if you see his tweets!

Today,

‏@NandoDeColo
@ CDG : Paris -> SA !

2 days ago some dude wrote him: "@NandoDeColo We have GIANT cinnamon rolls in San Antonio." to which he replied:

‏@NandoDeColo
@David_B1212 so one more reason for me to come ! ;-)

Definitely looks like a player that's on his way to sign.. And since he's not an NBA player yet, does this mean he can be signed today and the Spurs would announce it officially or does he have to wait till July 11th also?

ploto
07-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Does he have the insurance lined up that will satisfy the Spurs to sign him before he plays in the Olympics?

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Definitely looks like a player that's on his way to sign.. And since he's not an NBA player yet, does this mean he can be signed today and the Spurs would announce it officially or does he have to wait till July 11th also?

Interesting question that follows nicely with the discussion of which salary cap exception the Spurs will use to sign Nando.

Generally speaking, agreements can made during the July moratorium (July 1-10), but contracts may not be signed until July 11th. As with everything in the CBA, there are exceptions.

Among contracts that may be signed during the moratorium are one or two year minimum salary contracts.

So if we see a press release, or a press conference, today or tomorrow to announce that Nando has signed a contract (rather than reached an agreement to sign), then we'll know that he has signed for the minimum (473K).

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q101

jiggy_55
07-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Interesting question that follows nicely with the discussion of which salary cap exception the Spurs will use to sign Nando.

Generally speaking, agreements can made during the July moratorium (July 1-10), but contracts may not be signed until July 11th. As with everything in the CBA, there are exceptions.

Among contracts that may be signed during the moratorium are one or two year minimum salary contracts.

So if we see a press release, or a press conference, today or tomorrow to announce that Nando has signed a contract (rather than reached an agreement to sign), then we'll know that he has signed for the minimum (473K).

Great find, thanks!

But do you think he may sign for the minimum? I wouldn't think he would sign for that little.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Great find, thanks!

But do you think he may sign for the minimum? I wouldn't think he would sign for that little.

I don't know, but we won't have to wait long to find out.

timvp
07-04-2012, 01:40 PM

Good find :tu

That makes it even more likely that he's signing a minimum contract. He can come to S.A., get his physical and sign his deal. The Spurs can even hold a press conference if they want to.

If he's signing something other than the minimum, he can come get his physical but he can't sign a contract and the Spurs won't hold a press conference. I don't know the specifics of the FNT's schedule but if he's signing for something other than the minimum, wouldn't it make sense to come to S.A. next week? In that scenario, I'd think it'd be easier to just come on the 11th and make everything official.

spurspokesman
07-04-2012, 01:51 PM
And it doesn't count our QO to Mills or the fact that Joseph is under contract. If we kept both, we might even get to amnesty Bonner on the grounds that we ran out of roster space. :lol
:lol Sorry Bonner. It's just business.

Bruno
07-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Good find :tu

That makes it even more likely that he's signing a minimum contract. He can come to S.A., get his physical and sign his deal. The Spurs can even hold a press conference if they want to.

If he's signing something other than the minimum, he can come get his physical but he can't sign a contract and the Spurs won't hold a press conference. I don't know the specifics of the FNT's schedule but if he's signing for something other than the minimum, wouldn't it make sense to come to S.A. next week? In that scenario, I'd think it'd be easier to just come on the 11th and make everything official.

FNT has friendly games the 7th, 10th, 12th, 13th and 15th. They have a little break after that.

It's in Spurs best interest to have De Colo passing his physical as early as possible. If there is something wrong with it, it will gives Spurs more time to go after someone else. De Colo surely wants too to sign as quickly as possible in case if he get injured with FNT.

TD 21
07-04-2012, 05:45 PM
I always thought he'd sign for the minimum. The Spurs weren't about to waste an exception on a fringe prospect/non rotation player, not when they're presumably trying to sign two (technically, re-sign in the case of one) bigs, one of whom would start and the other of which would probably be a rotation player. Let's not forget, this is an organization that got a far better/more accomplished prospect, in an area of need, to sign for well under market value, so it shouldn't be surprising that they'd get De Colo at the minimum.

They've got the leverage in his case. If he wanted this to be about the money, they could easily allow him to stay in Europe or trade his rights; it's not like they're not deep at guard. They've got Green's rights, they still have Neal and there's at least a decent chance Mills returns. So it's not like De Colo is a necessity now and the odds of him ever becoming more than a fourth guard are probably unlikely. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that he's coming, but they don't need him. So if he wanted to come, he needed to take whatever they were willing to give him.

Nathan89
07-04-2012, 11:23 PM
He's too slow to get me exited about his potential in the NBA.

Buddy Holly
07-05-2012, 12:24 AM
I guess green is gone. Spurs add another tweener, guess we are trying to biuld the slowest and shortest team in the NBA

Quit posting troll.

Chase_the_Bass
07-05-2012, 12:54 AM
I guess green is gone. Spurs add another tweener, guess we are trying to biuld the slowest and shortest team in the NBA

Slow and stocky wins the race.

racm
07-05-2012, 07:21 AM
I assume you mean excited. But anyways. Really, speed isn't everything. Players like Stockton, Ray Allen, Mitch Richmond, Hershey Hawkins, etc etc. weren't as fast as guys like AI, Hardaway, TP etc. But what the former did have were great pull up jumpers and high basketball IQs, both of which De Colo does display.

He reminds me a little of Jeff Hornacek with his high basketball IQ, court vision, passing ability, ability to finish at the rim and his pullup jumper. Hornacek was 6'4" 190lbs and yet averaged over 20ppg and 5apg a couple of seasons when the NBA had better defenders at the SG position. He was prime example that elite speed and size aren't the only things that can make a player great.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/07/04/assessing-nando-de-colo/

This is a good assessment of De Colo. If you look at this highlights, his length makes up for his lack of ELITE SPEED (Not every freakin player in the NBA has it). And for his defense, no he isn't a bad defender. A guy that average's over 2 stl per game and 1 block Per 36 for 3 straight years isn't a bad defender. De Colo is going to be huge pickup for the Spurs. He and Manu are going to be a great duo in the backcourt off the bench. Two guys with high IQs, excellent ball handling skills, great court vision, excellent pull-up jumpers, 3pt shot and ability to finish at the rim.

Everyone seems so set on speed because young, athletic teams like OKC beat teams with it and Pop favors a fast-paced showtime offense with TP at the helm.

The thing is that sometimes slow-it-down half-court sets are the best way to beat certain teams, like Denver or even OKC.

TheCerebral1
07-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Love the addition by subtraction of Patty Mills. While I would love the returning Mills as well as De Colo, hopefully this spells Neal from the PG handling. He should be what he is a spot up jump shooter/driving into the lane undersized two. Denmon should get a shot too.

Darkwaters
07-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Mills isn't gone just yet. The Spurs haven extended the qualifying offer and may match certain contracts. His situation will greatly depend on how the rest of the offseason goes.

ace3g
07-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Faut bien avouer qu'ils ne font pas semblant... ;-)

- Must admit they do not pretend ... ;-)

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/292419_10150881835666863_1011516880_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=10119642&l=a31d48ee1b&id=357290276862

smaka
07-05-2012, 01:25 PM
They do not pretend what? :lol

DPG21920
07-05-2012, 01:27 PM
It was probably a translation mix up. I think the statement means "they don't mess around" as in "what a cool place".

timvp
07-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Wonder if we'll hear anything today. If he's signed for the minimum, we might . . .

smaka
07-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Wonder if we'll hear anything today. If he's signed for the minimum, we might . . .

*fingers crossed*

benefactor
07-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Would be nice. The silence is deafening right now.

Darkwaters
07-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Yea, I'm ready to know exactly what we're dealing with

DPG21920
07-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Nando is more of a luxury if he pans out. SG (assuming the spurs keep DG which is not a given) is pretty well taken care of. It would be news, but still extremely minor news with regards to team need and where their title hopes lie going into next year. The only thing I really care about is his contract bc that impacts the most pressing issue: the front line.

ace3g
07-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Nando De Colo ‏@NandoDeColo

@ San Antonio Airport : San Antonio -> Paris ! Et retour avec l'EDF à Orléans.

Darkwaters
07-05-2012, 02:02 PM
If he plays PG then this is major news

Bruno
07-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Well, Nando is back at the airport so we will hear nothing from Spurs about it. It's not that surprising since he likely can't sign his contract right now.

ace3g
07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
This site is reporting he passed his physical

http://www.vuelo23.com/2012/07/nando-de-colo-pasa-reconocimiento.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

benefactor
07-05-2012, 03:52 PM
:tu

timvp
07-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Not sure how you find this stuff ace3g but great work :tu

Guess we won't hear anything official until the 11th at the earliest.

smaka
07-05-2012, 04:02 PM
That means he won't be signed for minimum?

Bruno
07-05-2012, 04:07 PM
This site is reporting he passed his physical

http://www.vuelo23.com/2012/07/nando-de-colo-pasa-reconocimiento.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I don't think it is. It's just that the translation isn't accurate enough.

however, I have no doubts De Colo has passed his physical. He is in great shape and he passed an in-depth physical three weeks ago before joining FNT.

Knoxxx
07-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Here is the Google Chrome translated version:

The previous player of Valencia Basket, Nando Colo is ready to close his arrival in the NBA at the hands of San Antonio Spurs . In fact, today passed a medical with the Texas franchise, which has forced him to miss the concentration of the French.

However, Valencia Basket has included Nando Colo in the list of first refusal in case the negotiations with the Spurs and had just truncase reaching an agreement with another team ACB .

Roger Freemason Jr.
07-06-2012, 03:10 AM
Looks like we're spared the trouble of giving him a nickname!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGRyuplOizU&feature=relmfu

Bruno
07-06-2012, 03:15 AM
Aladdin sucks as nickname. His true one should be "el monitor".

Roger Freemason Jr.
07-06-2012, 03:25 AM
Anything is better than Aladdin, but maybe his nickname is Aladdin, because he's going to show the NBA "a whole new world". :P

sinok
07-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Aladdin sucks as nickname. His true one should be "el monitor".
This...

Miss sport+ and the awesome voice of Monclar....

Spur|n|Austin
07-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Anything is better than Aladdin, but maybe his nickname is Aladdin, because he's going to show the NBA "a whole new world". :P

:lol that's lame bro

UnWantedTheory
07-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Anyone seen this?
Nando released....

http://www.projectspurs.com/2012-articles/july/de-colo-released-from-valencia-to-continue-career-in-nba.html

Bruno
07-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Anyone seen this?
Nando released....

http://www.projectspurs.com/2012-articles/july/de-colo-released-from-valencia-to-continue-career-in-nba.html

That's false.

UnWantedTheory
07-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Okie dokie.

dylankerouac
07-07-2012, 12:43 PM

I giggled.

ElNono
07-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Aladdin sucks as nickname.

Agree. "French RMJ" just sounds better...

Bruno
07-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Agree. "French RMJ" just sounds better...

Well, no.

De Colo could easily end up as a scrub in the NBA but he isn't at all the same kind of player than RMJ.

ElNono
07-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Well, no.

De Colo could easily end up as a scrub in the NBA but he isn't at all the same kind of player than RMJ.

I just said it sounds better than Aladdin, that's all :lol

AFBlue
07-07-2012, 03:36 PM
French Spanoulis?

dunkman
07-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Isn't Nando already a nick?

Russ
07-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Isn't Nando already a nick?

How about "the Maginot Line" because it's so easy to go around him. :)

ElNono
07-07-2012, 07:28 PM
French Spanoulis?

objective
07-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Nando 'FM' De Colo

French Mexican.

I know he's ethnically portuguese or whatever, but it's tailored to the market.

Bruno
07-07-2012, 07:37 PM
After 3 years in Spain, De Colo speaks some Spanish so it should help him in SA. After all, the only reason why people loves Manu is because he speaks Spanish...

objective
07-07-2012, 07:39 PM
French Mexican it is then.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-07-2012, 07:43 PM
After 3 years in Spain, De Colo speaks some Spanish so it should help him in SA. After all, the only reason why people loves Manu is because he speaks Spanish...

Yep, that's the only reason. Come on.

AFBlue
07-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Yep, that's the only reason. Come on.

Only reason I like him tbh. Well, the "swat a bat at full speed with my bare hand" thing was pretty cool too I guess.

SpurPadre
07-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Only reason I like him tbh. Well, the "swat a bat at full speed with my bare hand" thing was pretty cool too I guess.

Oh ok, so you don't like the fact that he's been a vital member of the Spurs for 10 seasons, that he's never been an arrogant player, he's a great team leader, and that he arguably should've been NBA Finals MVP in '05. No, you don't like him for those positives....ok. :rolleyes Piss poor fans, man.

SpursRock20
07-07-2012, 08:54 PM

He has spoon fed your avatar into a halfway decent player for 3 years. :lol

Buddy Holly
07-07-2012, 09:10 PM

:nope :rolleyes

I want to ca you an idiot but I know you're not an idiot. So I'll just say that that was the dumbest things I've seen you post.

AFBlue
07-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Oh ok, so you don't like the fact that he's been a vital member of the Spurs for 10 seasons, that he's never been an arrogant player, he's a great team leader, and that he arguably should've been NBA Finals MVP in '05. No, you don't like him for those positives....ok. :rolleyes Piss poor fans, man.

Guess I should've used blue font.

UnWantedTheory
07-07-2012, 11:06 PM
^Apparently Bruno should have too.
I have a hard time believing he really thinks that.

AFBlue
07-08-2012, 01:17 AM
^Apparently Bruno should have too.
I have a hard time believing he really thinks that.

Yeah it's doubtful, though the local love affair with a guy who has let the team down as much as he's lifted them up in the last 5 years has to be traced to something.

spurs10
07-08-2012, 02:37 AM
I agree without a doubt!!

Bruno
07-08-2012, 03:47 AM
I never use blue font. When I say a sarcasm in real life, I do it with a straight face.

ace3g
07-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Après le match de préparation contre la Grande-Bretagne, l'Arrageois Nando De Colo a évoqué son aller-retour à San Antonio, chez les Spurs où il espère signer son premier contrat NBA : « Ça s'est passé très vite. C'était un peu comme à l'INSEP au premier rassemblement des Bleus, des tests médicaux, assez basiques, un peu de courses, rien de très important, et retour dès le lendemain. C'était plus pour que les tests soient faits et que s'il y a besoin de quelque chose, je n'aie pas besoin d'y retourner. Ça fait plusieurs mois qu'ils disent qu'il y a une place mais il y a d'autres débats dans leur équipe. Moi, ça va arriver juste après, j'espère la semaine prochaine. Mais ça reste des négociations... »

After the warm-up match against Great Britain, Nando De Colo Arrageois described his return to San Antonio Spurs in which he hopes to sign its first contract NBA: "It happened very quickly. It was a bit like INSEP first gathering of Blues, medical tests, pretty basic, a bit of shopping, nothing very important, and return the next day. It was more for the tests are made ​​and if need something, I do not need to return. It's been several months that they say there's a place but there are other debates in their team. Me, it will happen right after, I hope next week. But it's still negotiating ... "

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/region/basket-nba-contrat-avec-les-spurs-la-semaine-prochaine-ia0b0n568629#.T_mxcZE7uMQ.twitter

Bruno
07-08-2012, 11:27 AM
De Colo talked about his travel to SA:
http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/region/basket-nba-contrat-avec-les-spurs-la-semaine-prochaine-ia0b0n568629

"It went very fast. It was a little like what I did with FNT three weeks ago: some basics medical tests, a little running, nothing too important. I was back on the plane the next day. It was more to do these medical test and not have to come back to SA if needed. They told me for many months that they have a place for me in their roster but there have other debates about their team. I just come after that, I hope next week. But it remains negotiations..."

ace3g
08-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Looks like we're spared the trouble of giving him a nickname!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGRyuplOizU&feature=relmfu

Just saw this tweet:

Jay Nanda ‏@Hawkeyedude93

Non-sports co-worker just referred to @spurs Frenchman Nando de Colo as Nando Calrissian. Billy Dee Williams would be oh so proud #StarWars.

so how about it? lol

Nando Calrissian

tp2021
08-08-2012, 12:50 AM
I love it. But with a nickname like that, he's bound to steal a teammate's girl.