PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Lewis Considering Spurs (and 4 others)

Duncan2177
07-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Take it for what it is.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/07/rashard-lewis-eyeing-five-teams.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

GB20
07-03-2012, 04:12 PM
every time there is a free agent the spurs is mentioned

Ocotillo
07-03-2012, 04:15 PM
He may be considering the Spurs but I doubt they are considering him. Agent fluffing.

timvp
07-03-2012, 04:19 PM
He's pretty damn done but I'll take him for the minimum if it means no more Bonner.

Knoxxx
07-03-2012, 04:19 PM
I'd swap this guy out for Bonner in a heartbeat. Also he is willing to play for the veteran's minimum. 32 years old, 39% career 3 PT %.

Let's get him!

(and amnesty Bonner while at it)

DesignatedT
07-03-2012, 04:20 PM
He's been pretty bad the last couple of years but if this last sentence is true it is something to look at.

Despite being released by the Hornets, Lewis will still earn nearly $14MM in guaranteed salary from New Orleans, so he isn't expected to be seeking another big payday this summer. According to Berman, Lewis has interest in the $3.09MM mini mid-level exception, and could potentially be persuaded to sign for the veteran's minimum for the right opportunity with a title contender.

Knoxxx
07-03-2012, 04:20 PM
He's pretty damn done but I'll take him for the minimum if it means no more Bonner.

jinx LOL

We are thinking the same thing.

Seriously, this is a pretty decent veteran addition in my mind.

Was injured last year, and where do we stand with that?

Obstructed_View
07-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Calling BS. He's mentioning the Spurs in order to run away from his money-grubbing image, and he'll still go with whoever offers him the most money.

CGD
07-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Interesting. Not sure what he has left in the tank, I recall him being a tough cover for us.

loveforthegame
07-03-2012, 04:42 PM

bigfan
07-03-2012, 04:44 PM
I dont think Pop would take kindly to his prima dona act.

Darkwaters
07-03-2012, 04:45 PM
He wants a title shot? The OKC owned Sonics were begging for him to stay the year they drafted Durant. Instead he chased the money to Orlando. Oh what might have been.

SenorSpur
07-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Another guy that would help the Spurs improve their defense.

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Don't like Lewis and I don't believe he'd ever sign with the Spurs, but a combo of Lewis for the minimum and a Bonner amnesty would be fine with me.

timvp
07-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Lewis gets a bad rap but he's a quality guy. One of the most laidback, genuinely nice NBA players I've ever met. And he's always talking about how much he loves Texas when he's in San Antonio.

He took a gargantuan contract from the Magic that way overpaid him but all of us would have done the same.

P.S.

JJ Redick ‏@JJRedick

Saw that Rashard Lewis got bought out today. Hope he catches on with a contender. Best teammate and professional I've ever been around.

P.P.S.

All that said, he has looked really bad for about two and a half years now. Again, as a Bonner replacement I'd like him -- as long as he's making the minimum. But he can't start anymore.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Actually, now that you mention it, wasn't there some mutual interest before he got humungously overpaid?

Budkin
07-03-2012, 05:06 PM
He was great in 2009 for the Magic... is really done now? He's been playing for the Wiz the last 3 years.

Nathan89
07-03-2012, 05:07 PM
More versatility in the lineups would be nice to have.

SenorSpur
07-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Lewis gets a bad rap but he's a quality guy. One of the most laidback, genuinely nice NBA players I've ever met. And he's always talking about how much he loves Texas when he's in San Antonio.

He took a gargantuan contract from the Magic that way overpaid him but all of us would have done the same.

Not bad for a former second round pick.

And yes, every one of us would've taken the cash.

TD 21
07-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Camby, Lewis, even Ilyasova, is probably just due diligence by the Spurs. I'd be shocked if at least one of Diaw or Lorbek isn't the route they go. However, it's not only intelligent, but essential to have fallback options.

Like I said the other day though, if they want Diaw badly enough, he's theirs, because they can go to the full MLE. It's beyond highly unlikely he get's offered more than that and even if he did get slightly more, I think he'd leave some money on the table to return to the Spurs. What the holdup probably is, is they're waiting him out on accepting 3 years/$9 million, so that they can offer Lorbek 2 years/$4 million.

Mark in Austin
07-03-2012, 05:16 PM
all that said, he has looked really bad for about two and a half years now. Again, as a bonner replacement i'd like him -- as long as he's making the minimum. But he can't start anymore.

+1

pad300
07-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Camby, Lewis, even Ilyasova, is probably just due diligence by the Spurs. I'd be shocked if at least one of Diaw or Lorbek isn't the route they go. However, it's not only intelligent, but essential to have fallback options.

Like I said the other day though, if they want Diaw badly enough, he's theirs, because they can go to the full MLE. It's beyond highly unlikely he get's offered more than that and even if he did get slightly more, I think he'd leave some money on the table to return to the Spurs. What the holdup probably is, is they're waiting him out on accepting 3 years/$9 million, so that they can offer Lorbek 2 years/$4 million.

I'd be extremely surprised if they offered Lorbek a 2year/4M$ contract. They would want 3 years to get Lorbek's bird rights. I'm also confident that Lorbek will want more money than that...

hooperflash
07-03-2012, 05:22 PM
I like it. Most of ST said the same about Diaw, Rashard is in decent shape IMO ... why not take a chance? GTFO Bonner --- please? (:

TD 21
07-03-2012, 05:27 PM
I'd be extremely surprised if they offered Lorbek a 2year/4M$ contract. They would want 3 years to get Lorbek's bird rights. I'm also confident that Lorbek will want more money than that...

Yeah, they may offer 3 years, but I doubt he accepts 3 years at that money (he might not even accept that money altogether). He's already 28, he's going to want to cash in and get his one big contract (if he proves to be effective in the league, of course) as soon as possible.

pad300
07-03-2012, 05:28 PM
I don't like Lewis for anything more than the vet min, and maybe not then. A worse shooter than Bonner, A worse rebounder than Bonner (TRB% 9.3 to 8.4) and a worse defender than Bonner (Drating - pts/100 possessions against, estimated - 106 (Bonner) to 108 (Lewis)). Maybe is was just recovery from injuries, but Lewis has been REALLY crap for a couple of years.

Hooks
07-03-2012, 05:30 PM
As long as he replaces Bonner I'd be happy, he could be the next Diaw where he gets motivated playing for a contender. All he's got to do is knockdown his wide open 3s.

If they somehow get Lorbek/Diaw and Lewis I cannot see Bonner staying on the roster, that's 3 stretch big men making Bonner's role pretty useless.

Bonner+Blair for a 2013 1st round pick makes the most sense IMO.

07-03-2012, 05:37 PM
lewis's career is done. he can't play without his steroids.

Keepin' it real
07-03-2012, 05:49 PM
lewis's career is done.

And Bonner's career never began, yet he's still here. So what?

therealtruth
07-03-2012, 05:53 PM
I think it's not just Bonner but Pop needs to stay away from soft bigs that can only shoot. We need better defense.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Isn't this all moot if the Spurs can't find a way to actually get rid of Bonner? Using the amnesty on him would be fine and all, but they still have to pay him. Seems like there's a need to free up his salary to pay his replacement.

07-03-2012, 06:01 PM
And Bonner's career never began, yet he's still here. So what?
:lol what part of my post did you interpret as enthusiastic support for bonner?

Russ
07-03-2012, 07:24 PM
lewis's career is done. he can't play without his steroids.

People said Horry was washed up, too, when the Spurs got him (after the Lakers released him).

The comparison of Rashard Lewis to Matt Bonner seems strained. Like Horry, Lewis has contributed numerous three pointers during a Finals run. Bonner hasn't.

This would be a big pickup if the Spurs can pull it off.

MI21
07-03-2012, 08:39 PM
I would much rather have Rashard Lewis on the floor for 10 MPG than Matt Bonner.

DPG21920
07-03-2012, 08:51 PM
How is Bonner so untradeable? Even if he's just a regular season player - he hits a ton of 3's, is a good lockerroom guy and is on a contract that is small and only partiallly guaranteed the following year (for 1M)...

angelbelow
07-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Bonner is a better post defender.

Drz
07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
How is Bonner so untradeable? Even if he's just a regular season player - he hits a ton of 3's, is a good lockerroom guy and is on a contract that is small and only partiallly guaranteed the following year (for 1M)...
Have you seen all the dumbf*cks here who think we should amnesty him? It's not just a few people, there's a whole swarm of them.

This forum is filled with lemmings. They see all the baseless Bonner bashing and because they're not smart enough to think for themselves, they parrot it.

Big P
07-03-2012, 10:01 PM
bonner was fools gold from the get go. I've been saying for the last three years we need to trade him.

tesseractive
07-03-2012, 10:04 PM
People said Horry was washed up, too, when the Spurs got him (after the Lakers released him).

The comparison of Rashard Lewis to Matt Bonner seems strained. Like Horry, Lewis has contributed numerous three pointers during a Finals run. Bonner hasn't.

This would be a big pickup if the Spurs can pull it off.

This. If he's available for a cheap deal as a backup for Diaw, I'll be legitimately excited.

Even in the worst case, he can't possibly contribute any less in the playoffs than Bonner did, and in the best case, it turns out that he was undermotivated on the clusterfuck that is the Wizards, and returning to a real team turns him back into a real player again.

The ADMIRAL 50
07-03-2012, 10:42 PM

Exactly.

If we can get him for the min or close to it and he takes over Bonner's role I would love it. Mostly because he's not Bonner.

That said if we brought him in and he was expecting something more, no thanks. Because of that I dont really expect him to come here; he probably isnt looking for that kind of role and I doubt our FO would want him for a larger one.

SamoanTD
07-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Sign him amnesty Bonner sounds good to me we wouldn't be looking half bad if we did strictly as a Bonner replacement.

Bonner just makes the team look super soft getting him out of SA is way over due.

SamoanTD
07-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Bonner is a better post defender.

Your point?

mudyez
07-04-2012, 02:00 AM
lewis should get a logo (a la jerry west) as "player that actually is good but everyone hates on him, because he gets paid twice as what he is worth".

that said I'd like him over Bonner but not much more...spend that money on Asik!

...wait: what is Asik getting paid by Houston??? LOL

blkroadrunners
07-04-2012, 02:17 AM
Idk if Lewis is "done." If he went to a contender w/ their heads in the right direction, he could possibly bounce back and play well as a role player.

The only way I'd want the Spurs to sign him if it ment Bonner's a goner.

Russo21
07-04-2012, 06:36 AM

Amen my brother:toast

Big P
07-04-2012, 09:44 AM
I don't think Lewis is done if we just ask him what we asked of bonner...just knock down the 3's!

Wild Cobra Kai
07-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Your point?

Are you really that dense? Rashard isn't quick enough to play the 3 any more. He'll be asked to play the 4. That involves playing post defense.

Seventyniner
07-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Are you really that dense? Rashard isn't quick enough to play the 3 any more. He'll be asked to play the 4. That involves playing post defense.

Bonner's post D, at least by the numbers, was stellar this season. Post D might be overrated.

Agloco
07-04-2012, 07:20 PM

This. Can't get any worse in the postseason than what we've gotten from Bonner thus far.

spurspokesman
07-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Dont think i can stomach another year of bonner. Nice guy but he is tough to watch outside of his wide open 3s. Lewis is not great but I just dont want any more bonner period?

smaka
07-05-2012, 12:23 PM
He can't produce less than Bonner does in the playoffs. If he came instead of Bonner, I'd be ok with it, otherwise not..

jermaine
07-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Yr after yr Bonner goes 'suga to shit" faster than any player I've ever seen in the NBA. He's gotta have a suga meter for the regular season with a shit over ride switch that automatically clicks on when the playoffs starts. An I'm a Bonner fan.

lefty
07-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Yr after yr Bonner goes 'suga to shit" faster than any player I've ever seen in the NBA. He's gotta have a suga meter for the regular season with a shit over ride switch that automatically clicks on when the playoffs starts. An I'm a Bonner fan.
This post makes a lot of sense

baseline bum
07-05-2012, 01:58 PM

truth

4down
07-05-2012, 03:13 PM
truth

Would be a major upgrade, tbh. Playoff shooting and the "Hells yeah Bonner is guarding me" effect warrant it.

Thing is, though,what will Pop do? I don't know how Coach B earned Pops undying and eternal love when TP and Manu have yet to have fun trust from him

Darkwaters
07-05-2012, 03:34 PM
I do miss those Coach B segments. That was Bonner's greatest contribution to this team.

ace3g
07-05-2012, 04:55 PM
David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt

Veteran F Rashard Lewis, bought out by the Hornets after coming in Okafor/Ariza trade from D.C., will visit Miami this weekend, per source.

sehui
07-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Rashard was decent back in his sonic days..

without a doubt he's an overall better player than Bonner.

This is like choosing between the lesser of two evils..

Russ
07-10-2012, 09:09 PM
David Aldridge (on NBA TV) reports Rashard Lewis to Miami. The rich do get richer.

kobyz
10-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Is he retired? Spurs should sign him...

NameLess Scrub
10-09-2015, 10:40 AM
:lol

He was kind of showing his last legs in Miami..

D_Admiral
10-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Dudes need to let this guy RIP

Splits
10-09-2015, 10:48 AM
What's Gilbert Arenas up to these days?

admiralsnackbar
10-09-2015, 10:49 AM
"Rashard Lewis" and "MLE" in the same sentence is humorous.

D_Admiral
10-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Lol gilbert arenas prolly still gettin paid 25m's

NameLess Scrub
10-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Arenas might be helping Rose rehab..

UNT Eagles 2016
10-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Arenas might be helping Rose rehab..
By shooting him in the kneecap?

NameLess Scrub
10-09-2015, 12:11 PM
By shooting him in the kneecap?

Might work with Rose.. you never know :lol

Splits
10-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Arenas is actually playing in China. He also described his gun incident with the Bullets. http://deadspin.com/gilbert-arenas-posts-rebuttal-to-caron-butlers-version-1735566952

I respect Caron Butler’s book and got my copy but the guns in the locker room story is FALSE in his book.

Butler and I were asleep and JaVale McGee, Javaris Crittenton, and Earl Boykins were playing cards. By the time I woke up Crittenton was balls deep in losing so I decided to join the game. Crittenton got booed which means he did get one book of spades, so he had to match the pot which was $1,100, but $800 was his so he just lost $800 and the pot is now $1,400 and $1,100 of it is his.

JaVale McGee won the first $1,100 pot so he scooped the money. Boykins asked JaVale, “can I get my $200 now since you have money?” JaVale said “after we land, I don’t wanna jinx myself. Crittenton spazzed—“give that nigga his money, you just won my money pay that nigga”—so I jumped in and said “damn dog, that’s between them two niggas.” He turned to me and said “fuck you nigga” and I responded “shit you owe me $200, I think you owe Caron Butler $300, but we ain’t saying shit.” Crittenton pops off again: “Oh fuck you nigga you would try to money-talk somebody.”

So now it’s my deal. Earl said “I’m out.” JaVale said “I don’t need cards.” Crittenton needed five new cards so most likely he was about to match the pot once again so I said “I’m out” knowing JaVale had AKQ, so since it was Crittenton’s money in the post there was no need to fight if he was going to get booed. I showed my hand and Crittenton got mad I had three trump cards and didn’t fight with him. So he screams “MISDEAL, Gil showed his hand!” JaVale said “fuck that I win, I have AKQ.”

So Crittenton tries to use misdeal as a way of starting the hand over so I said “y’all figure that out.” I walked to the back of the plane and they stayed arguing, but Earl convinced them that JaVale won. Crittenton yells loudly “FUCKIN’ MISDEAL” so I yelled back “come get the shit with yo hands if you wanna misdeal.”

When the plane lands he walks back talking tough, saying if we were in the streets “I’d pop you in your knees.” I said “shit I’ll give you the guns to do it on Monday.” It was Saturday, and we had Sunday off. I get to the gym on Monday at 8 a.m. and put four empty guns on his chair and a note that said “pick one.” No one saw me touch a gun or put them there. With Crittenton came in I was in the training room. Crittenton, DeShawn Stevenson, Andray Blatche, and Dominic McGuire were the only ones in the locker room when I walked in.

So Crittenton says “what’s this shit?” I said “you said you were gonna shoot me so nigga there go guns so pick one,” meaning pick the one you are going to shoot me with like you said. He said “I don’t need this shit.” That’s when Caron is now in the room, and a trainer. Crittenton takes the guns off his seat and throws them on the floor, hitting the trainers foot. He runs into the training room and Crittenton pulls out a little silver gun that Eddie Murphy shot the pinkie toe off with lol (I’m not going to say if it was loaded or pointed at me, no need to bash a man who can’t defend his name). Let’s just say I started laughing and said “put that Harlem Nights gun away, look at the shit I’m GIVING you, imagine what I have at home so you can keep those.” The fucking end.

JaVale picks up my guns and takes them to my car. Caron hides Crittenton’s gun in the locker room. I was in the jacuzzi so Crittenton comes in with me and we started talking and he said I play too much, and I told him he was just a hot head. We started shooting around.

They called Crittenton first to ask what happened. I was last so the story became I pulled a gun and wanted to shoot Crittenton. But I owed him money LMAO. I owe money but I’m gonna shoot you #WhereTheyDoThatAt. If he owed me money, I make $20 million so I wouldn’t pull a GUN for $1,100 SMDH. This happened December 21, and the story was told January 1.

Like I said no one saw me touch, hold, grab, move anything. The funny thing is, I got suspended 50 games, charged with a felony and the only teammate Crittenton decided to call when he needed money for his mom was me because he knows I won’t hold a grudge against a teammate and I gave him $60,000 for his mom’s surgery. I sent money after he just said he was scared for his life, but I said “don’t worry about me, I’ll take the blame what do you need?”

I do regret making fun of him and calling his bluff, the same thing I’ve done with Matt Barnes and Derek Fisher is the same shit I did that day. I wish him the best and Caron Butler’s book to sell out, but what I wrote is the real story.

Chinook
10-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Love Arenas. NBA needs more personalities like him.

HarlemHeat37
10-09-2015, 12:49 PM
ML1XK7X_O2E

Ice009
10-09-2015, 10:19 PM
So who do you guys believe here?

I actually liked Gilbert before his injuries and I don't like Caron, so not sure which story is closer to the truth.

Mikeanaro
10-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Is he coming???
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6hbi2TYZ31rwcc6bo1_400.gif

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M17fd0352379a36d5430ce183d6e23361H0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=219&h=165

apalisoc_9
10-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Butler looks like a total sleezy snake tbh. I believe Arenas even though I hated his game.

Kawhitstorm
10-10-2015, 12:24 AM

I actually liked Gilbert before his injuries and I don't like Caron, so not sure which story is closer to the truth.

Do you not think Butler is going to sensationalize just to sell the book? Publisher don't play around when it comes to maximizing their profits so even if he didn't want to they would just change the script & push him to sign off on it.

Spurtacular
10-10-2015, 12:34 AM
Rashard looked like expired dairy in the 2014 Finals (except on wide open corner threes).

Splits
10-10-2015, 12:35 AM

Stories actually aren't that divergent, differ on the edges.

Crittenton is serving a 23 year sentence, and Gil still didn't shit on him. So there's that...

Spurtacular
10-10-2015, 12:42 AM
Javaris Crittenton in jail for 23 years for voluntary manslaughter....

Damn; from the high life to the low life, man.

Ice009
10-10-2015, 12:54 AM
Stories actually aren't that divergent, differ on the edges.

Crittenton is serving a 23 year sentence, and Gil still didn't shit on him. So there's that...

Yeah, they're similar I guess, but Butler's really seems like a sensationalized version of the truth. Probably to sell more books.

Splits
10-10-2015, 12:54 AM
Javaris Crittenton in jail for 23 years for voluntary manslaughter....

Damn; from the high life to the low life, man.

And you think Jimmer getting cut again is a waste of talent...

Spurtacular
10-10-2015, 02:47 AM
And you think Jimmer getting cut again is a waste of talent...

Jimmuh ain't gettin' cut, brah.