PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Suns sign Eric Gordon for $58 million over 4 years

Venti Quattro
07-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Chris Broussard (http://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/220343107714170882): Eric Gordon and the Phoenix Suns agree to a Maximum Offer sheet worth $58 million over 4 years, sources said.

:lmao Phoenix

lurker
07-03-2012, 09:39 PM
I thought you were trolling. Jesus :lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Well, time to see if New Orleans matches this. Hopefully they do.

racm
07-03-2012, 09:41 PM
:lmao Suns
:lmao overpaying an injury prone player
:lmao starting backcourt of Marshall and Gordon
:lmao 17-65
:lmao dead last in Pacific division

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-03-2012, 09:41 PM
And if they don't hopefully I'm wrong and DPG is right. I don't like this move at all, but the positives I can draw from it are that Phoenix doesn't like THAT pathetic and that hopefully their training staff can work with EG.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-03-2012, 09:42 PM
I hope you're right and Gordon doesn't kill their chances at tanking.

Their backcourt won't be 1/10th as big of a problem as the PF position is.

:cry John Henson

Clipper Nation
07-03-2012, 09:42 PM
You people do realize that the Suns have the only medical staff in the world that could get 82 games out of Eric Gordon, right.... hope the Hornets match that offer sheet, tbh...

racm
07-03-2012, 09:48 PM

Channing Frye... and?

Tbh if the Suns overachieve they're gonna miss out on the lottery, plus this team got a 38 year old Steve Nash to average a double double and Grant Hill to be a serviceable player.

Pelicans78
07-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Hornets will match. No doubt about it. He was pimping teams for the max and Phoenix bit.

If he healthy, he can be a very good player.

Venti Quattro
07-03-2012, 09:49 PM
If Nawlins matches, can we expect a Basketball Reasons Hornet meltdown in here?

timvp
07-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Tbh, Gordon curbstomped the Spurs last year. They couldn't stop him.

Then again, the Spurs were pretty bad at defense so not sure how much that means.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Channing Frye... and?

Tbh if the Suns overachieve they're gonna miss out on the lottery, plus this team got a 38 year old Steve Nash to average a double double and Grant Hill to be a serviceable player.
I'm saying PF is still their problem position.

If they actually drafted Henson to go along w/ Gordon and possibly Dragic, I'd actually be interested in seeing how good they look.

A 25% chance at Shabazz is much more intriguing than Eric Gordon at this price.

Pelicans78
07-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Can't believe how stupid they were drafting a marginal talent like Marshall. Henson, TJones, and Royce White were all much better prospects. I love Henson and TJones. I would have rather drafted them over Rivers. I don't like the Rivers pick.

racm
07-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Can't believe how stupid they were drafting a marginal talent like Marshall. Henson, TJones, and Royce White were all much better prospects. I love Henson and TJones. I would have rather drafted them over Rivers. I don't like the Rivers pick.

Rivers was probably drafted with the understanding that he would be the no 1 scoring option, since his dad and Monty are buddies.

Pelicans78
07-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Rivers was probably drafted with the understanding that he would be the no 1 scoring option, since his dad and Monty are buddies.

Rivers was lucky to be drafted that high. If Gordon is around, he will never be the number one scoring option. Gordon is much more talented.

Killakobe81
07-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Rivers was lucky to be drafted that high. If Gordon is around, he will never be the number one scoring option. Gordon is much more talented.

Mistake if they do. Use the money address other spots might as well let Rivers play big minutes. Don't like what u see u can chase Harden in the summer.

racm
07-03-2012, 10:17 PM

Definitely. I think Phoenix intrigued him because of their staff.

NOLA will match though.

Pelicans78
07-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Mistake if they do. Use the money address other spots might as well let Rivers play big minutes. Don't like what u see u can chase Harden in the summer.

Rivers isn't close to Gordon's level. He isn't that good. They drafted him 10 to play PG next to Gordon. Didn't like the decision. I thought he was a lower 1st round talent.

Gordon is injury prone, but its really hard finding a talented scoring SG who can take over late in games. I'm worried he will stay healthy somewhere else and be a perennial All-Star SG. He's a good on the ball defender as well. It's easier retaining him than chasing someone else. Plus, even if he gets his 14 million per season, they have enough cap room to sign two more max contracts next offseason.

I'm not arguing with you about not matching. There's reasons not to. Plus, they can do a sign and trade as well. I like Houston's pieces more than Phoenix. But I feel its more risk to let him go than to keep him. If he stays healthy, he gives them a potential perennial All-Star at the SG position who can score on his own. That's hard to find.

baseline bum
07-03-2012, 10:26 PM
I thought you were trolling. Jesus :lmao

this

baseline bum
07-03-2012, 10:29 PM

Henson would have been a win-win. He's obviously not ready to play NBA basketball yet, so he doesn't hurt the tank for Shabazz. Yet, lots of upside and he looks like he's a pretty hard worker from the way he has drastically improved his game the last 2 seasons after a Drummond-esque freshman campaign. LOL Marshall (and I even like the guy, but he was the wr:lolng pick).

da_suns_fan
07-03-2012, 10:29 PM
I like the move. Hes worth the gamble. Four years isnt that long (great part of the new CBA).

If they can get both Dragic and Gordon, they could have a very potent backcourt. Their front court still absolutely sucks, but its a start.

The worry is that Hornets will threaten to match without S&T. They'll probably want first round picks, etc.

baseline bum
07-03-2012, 10:31 PM
I do think the Angels match though, not having to pay that fifth year now.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-03-2012, 10:31 PM
I also think it's time to trade Gortat while his value is high and before his stats dip without Nash. This team needs to stop letting players' value tank and never trading them when they can actually get something.

Killakobe81
07-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Rivers isn't close to Gordon's level. He isn't that good. They drafted him 10 to play PG next to Gordon. Didn't like the decision. I thought he was a lower 1st round talent.

Gordon is injury prone, but its really hard finding a talented scoring SG who can take over late in games. I'm worried he will stay healthy somewhere else and be a perennial All-Star SG. He's a good on the ball defender as well. It's easier retaining him than chasing someone else. Plus, even if he gets his 14 million per season, they have enough cap room to sign two more max contracts next offseason.

I'm not arguing with you about not matching. There's reasons not to. Plus, they can do a sign and trade as well. I like Houston's pieces more than Phoenix. But I feel its more risk to let him go than to keep him. If he stays healthy, he gives them a potential perennial All-Star at the SG position who can score on his own. That's hard to find.
Some great points I guess its worth the risk I like Gordon, just find that salary a bit high.u

Pelicans78
07-03-2012, 10:35 PM
I also think it's time to trade Gortat while his value is high and before his stats dip without Nash. This team needs to stop letting players' value tank and never trading them when they can actually get something.

Gortat could be used in a sign and trade with Gordon. He's the only asset I like for the Suns. I guess I would take Marshall and picks too.

Now I wish the Hornets really drafted Lamb instead of Rivers.

baseline bum
07-03-2012, 10:36 PM

I think you're really underestimating Rivers as a shooting guard. With his handles and his creativity in the lane he's a born scorer. He's just not and never will be a point.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Take Marshall in a SnT :hungry:

da_suns_fan
07-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Clowns bashing Gordon are the same clowns screaming "Amare Webber" back in 2006.

Gordon averaged 22 points, 4.5 assists, 1.2 steals while shooting 45% from the field two season ago.

Show me how many guys do that for under 14 million.

Laugh all you want. I just remember that Spurs fans were laughing at me when I told them Richard Jefferson wouldnt work in San Antonio (I was actually told only a Suns fan could see a negative in the Richard Jefferson trade). I remember DOK laughing when I told him the Suns would be better having NOTHING rather than Shaq, and I remember Laker fans laughing when I told them losing Odom meant they were DONE winning championships.

Even if Gordon is injured the next four years, its worth the risk. He's a fantastic talent and a good teammate. I say "Go for it".

Xylus
07-03-2012, 10:38 PM
I hope New Orleans lets him go to us. This is a great signing for Phoenix.

That kind of money will be worth a guy who will be one of the best SG's in the league in just a few years. Let our training staff work its magic--if they can animate the corpses of Shaq, Michael Redd, and Grant Hill, I'm sure they can help this guy out.

Pelicans78
07-03-2012, 10:40 PM
I think you're really underestimating Rivers as a shooting guard. With his handles and his creativity in the lane he's a born scorer. He's just not and never will be a point.

He has good handles, but he's not strong at all and doesn't shoot consistently well. Poor FT shooter. Plus, he takes a lot of awful shots. Doesn't know how to play within the offense. With Gordon gone, he will chuck a lot of shoots. Didn't mention how awful he is defensively. This dude is really overrated.

Pelicans78
07-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Take Marshall in a SnT :hungry:

Sure and we can leave him in the lower 9th ward.

SenorSpur
07-03-2012, 10:43 PM
I wonder if the Hornets will match?

Xylus
07-03-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm not sure if the Hornets will be willing to match that contract for a guy who implied in his statement that he doesn't want to play for New Orleans anymore. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, though.

redzero
07-03-2012, 10:46 PM
lel

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-03-2012, 10:46 PM
I remember DOK laughing when I told him the Suns would be better having NOTHING rather than Shaq
I remember you saying Goran Dragic didn't belong in the NBA :lol

tesseractive
07-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Sure and we can leave him in the lower 9th ward.
I have no idea what this means.

Pelicans78
07-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm not sure if the Hornets will be willing to match that contract for a guy who implied in his statement that he doesn't want to play for New Orleans anymore. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, though.

They will regardless.

I question why he would prefer Phoenix. The Hornets got a brand new owner who recently won a Super Bowl, have a shitload of cap room for the next few years and drafted Anthony Davis.

da_suns_fan
07-03-2012, 10:48 PM
I remember you saying Goran Dragic didn't belong in the NBA :lol

Got me there. I was was wrong about Goran and i was PISSED when they traded him.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-03-2012, 10:49 PM
I question why he would prefer Phoenix.
Because the other team is in New Orleans

Xylus
07-03-2012, 10:50 PM
I remember saying the Suns might be the 6th seed the year before last.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-03-2012, 10:51 PM
I remember saying the Suns might be the 6th seed the year before last.
At least you didn't say they'd win the West like a certain Lakers fan who lives in Maryvale.

Pelicans78
07-03-2012, 10:52 PM
The Hornets still have leverage. I would rather do a sign and trade with Houston. They have better pieces. All 3 of their 1st round picks are better prospects than Marshall.

da_suns_fan
Suns and Hawks were in the exact same situation 7 years ago.

Hawks made max offer to Suns. Suns said they would match unless given proper compensation.

So what will Hornets want?

DUNCANownsKOBE
Got me there. I was was wrong about Goran and i was PISSED when they traded him.
The Dragic trade convinced me being an NBA GM is 5% about qualifications and 95% about connections and luck. Somehow, everyone knew that trade was an abortion EXCEPT the two guys in control of the Suns' front office.

baseline bum
07-03-2012, 10:55 PM
The Hornets still have leverage. I would rather do a sign and trade with Houston. They have better pieces. All 3 of their 1st round picks are better prospects than Marshall.

Do they? Under the previous CBA all they could do is match or not match. Did restricted free agency appreciably change under the 2011 CBA?

da_suns_fan
07-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Do they? Under the previous CBA all they could do is match or not match. Did restricted free agency appreciably change under the 2011 CBA?

No, but they can simply match and then trade him next season. Or they can say "we'll accept a sign and trade if you want to go somewhere else, but we're not simply losing you without compensation".

Pelicans78
07-03-2012, 10:58 PM

They could match and leave it at that. Even if Gordon doesn't want to be there, they can still match and keep him. Better than taking whatever the Suns have. He could refuse to sign a max with the Suns and stick with the one year qualifying offer and the Hornets could negotiate with someone else.

baseline bum
07-03-2012, 10:58 PM
No, but they can simply match and then trade him next season. Or they can say "we'll accept a sign and trade if you want to go somewhere else, but we're not simply losing you without compensation".

Sure about that second part? I know that definitely wasn't the case under previous CBAs.

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 10:59 PM

They can't do a sign and trade with Houston unless Gordon wants to go there, but I'm sure they can get Gordon to fall in love with New Orleans by offering to add a 5th year to the contract.

Mr Bones
07-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Gordon's saying some funny stuff to the media: "I strongly feel (the Suns) are the right franchise for me. Phoenix is just where my heart is.'' It's gonna be awkward if New Orleans matches, and he has to go back. New Orleans played this pretty smart: the max from them would've been 5 years/79 mil, so by matching the Phoenix offer of 4 years/58 mil they'll be saving a bit of money. I don't understand why he'd want to leave a team that just got Anthony Davis-- most likely a franchise type player and potential DPOY for years to come-- to go to a Phoenix team starting from scratch...

baseline bum
07-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Larry Coon says the player's team can only match or not match. Since the full text of this CBA hasn't been put online yet, he's probably the best source on it.

If the player's original team exercises its right of first refusal within three days, the player is then under contract to his original team, at the principal terms of the offer sheet. If the player's original team does not exercise its right of first refusal within three days (or provides written notice that it is declining its right of first refusal), the offer sheet becomes an official contract with the new team.

Trill Clinton
07-03-2012, 11:02 PM
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Star_517bd8_1148702.gif

baseline bum
07-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Of course, that applies only if Gordon has actually signed the offer sheet.

BRHornet45
07-03-2012, 11:03 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/11ka25u.jpg

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Of course, that applies only if Gordon has actually signed the offer sheet.

Which can't happen until the 11th.

baseline bum
07-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Oh ok, now I see where 78 was coming from.

da_suns_fan
07-03-2012, 11:06 PM
BRHornet45 makes him sound like a glorified Shannon Brown.

mojorizen7
07-04-2012, 03:47 AM
Isn't that the point bro?
It should be.

mojorizen7
07-04-2012, 03:50 AM
Suns need to continue to be a bad team while acquiring young talent on the way. I think this could be a nice signing.

If Nash comes back then dismiss my entire post as garbage.

InK
07-04-2012, 06:08 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

benefactor
07-04-2012, 06:32 AM
The New Orleans Hornets plan to match the maximum four-year, $58 million offer sheet free-agent guard Eric Gordon received from the Phoenix Suns, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--eric-gordon-agrees-to-suns---58-million-offer-sheet--hornets-plan-to-match.html;_ylt=AgAon_NyDYjQkbd.h0V315s5nYcB

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 07:30 AM
I'm now hearing the Hornets will try a sign and trade instead of matching. Sounds like Demps is not comfortable giving Gordon 4 years 58 million. Gordon can't sign the offer until July 11th.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-04-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm now hearing the Hornets will try a sign and trade instead of matching. Sounds like Demps is not comfortable giving Gordon 4 years 58 million. Gordon can't sign the offer until July 11th.
Dudley, Warrick, and Kendall Marshall :hungry:

Never gonna happen but I can dream. Babby will win big points with me if he can arrange a SnT for Gordon where he also gets to unload one of the 3 shit contracts on the team.

A Josh Childress amnesty is also long overdue.

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Dudley, Warrick, and Kendall Marshall :hungry:

Never gonna happen but I can dream. Babby will win big points with me if he can arrange a SnT for Gordon where he also gets to unload one of the 3 shit contracts on the team.

A Josh Childress amnesty is also long overdue.

i think it will be Marshall for sure, an unprotected 1st round pick, maybe Morris. Not sure if they will want Gortat. I doubt Demps will take back a bad contract. He already dumped Ariza and Okafor's contract. They don't need salaries to much since both teams are under the cap.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-04-2012, 10:21 AM
:lmao no, they aren't trading an unprotected first rounder. Keep dreaming.

They can have Marshall and MarQueef, but they aren't getting a potential top 3 pick.

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 10:31 AM
:lmao no, they aren't trading an unprotected first rounder. Keep dreaming.

They can have Marshall and MarQueef, but they aren't getting a potential top 3 pick.

Then they're just better off matching. If Gordon is a cornerstone as they claim, then the pick won't be that high. But I don't think the Suns have anything to offer to do a sign and trade. Marshall and Morris are marginal prospects. Hornets aren't taking back a bad contract. And I don't think they see a use for Gortat on a rebuilding team.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-04-2012, 10:35 AM
It's quickly becoming a Joe Johnson situation where New Orleans thought they were gonna match anything but didn't expect a max offer. Also, Gordon has made it clear he wants to be in Phoenix, not New Orleans.

The Suns aren't gonna bend over backwards arranging a SnT when they know New Orleans doesn't wanna shell out a max deal for someone who's gonna fake another injury and only play 9 games for a team he doesn't wanna play for.

I'm guessing it ends with New Orleans settling for a protected 1st rounder and Morris.

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 10:41 AM
It's quickly becoming a Joe Johnson situation where New Orleans thought they were gonna match anything but didn't expect a max offer. Also, Gordon has made it clear he wants to be in Phoenix, not New Orleans.

The Suns aren't gonna bend over backwards arranging a SnT when they know New Orleans doesn't wanna shell out a max deal for someone who's gonna fake another injury and only play 9 games for a team he doesn't wanna play for.

I'm guessing it ends with New Orleans settling for a protected 1st rounder and Morris.

The Hornets had to be prepared for someone to give a max offer. They're not stupid. The question is who needs Gordon more. The Suns or the Hornets. Do the Suns really want him as badly as they appear to do? The Hornets can easily match and it won't hurt them for the future. They still have plenty of cap room in the future even with Gordon's contract.

DUNCANownsKOBE
07-04-2012, 11:00 AM
The question is not who needs Gordon more. The Suns don't need Gordon badly enough to throw away a potential top 3 pick to get him. No matter how many times you tell yourself the Hornets have all kinds of leverage in this situation and can call all the shots, that's not the case. The Suns know Gordon has no interest in playing for New Orleans, and it's not like they've planned their entire future around Gordon. He's currently their best available option. If it doesn't work out, they'll move onto OJ Mayo/Beasley.

The Suns should give a modest SnT offer and leave it at that. There's no reason for them to bend over backwards giving up every asset they have trying to get someone who played 9 games last year.

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 11:09 AM
The question is not who needs Gordon more. The Suns don't need Gordon badly enough to throw away a potential top 3 pick to get him. No matter how many times you tell yourself the Hornets have all kinds of leverage in this situation and can call all the shots, that's not the case. The Suns know Gordon has no interest in playing for New Orleans, and it's not like they've planned their entire future around Gordon. He's currently their best available option. If it doesn't work out, they'll move onto OJ Mayo/Beasley.

It doesn't matter if Gordon doesn't want to play in NOLA. He doesn't have any leverage. He can say whatever he wants, but if the Hornets match, he's gonna be there for 4 years. If he really wanted any leverage, he would just sign the qualifying offer and try to be an UFA next season, but he won't turn down 58 million. Hornets won't lose any sleep matching that offer. Its not gonna kill their salary cap. Even with Gordon signing, they have 30 million under the cap after this upcoming season.

Mayo and Beasley is a big drop off IMO. Assuming Gordon stays healthy.

Pelicans78
07-04-2012, 11:10 AM

The Suns should give a modest SnT offer and leave it at that. There's no reason for them to bend over backwards giving up every asset they have trying to get someone who played 9 games last year.

I agree with that. But I have a feeling they well.

AFBlue
07-04-2012, 01:54 PM
No way NOLA doesn't match, even though it'll probably backfire on them.

jag
07-04-2012, 02:11 PM
The Spirit should match the offer, keep Gordon's minutes low, allow Rivers and Davis to develop, and start making moves for next year's draft.