PDA

View Full Version : UTSA student mauled by chimpanzees in South Africa

BRHornet45
07-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Two adult chimpanzees that viciously attacked a U.S. student at a primate sanctuary in South Africa were defending their territory and will be allowed to live, the lead government investigator said Tuesday.

Conservationist Dries Pienaar blamed human error for Thursday's attack.

Oberle was in critical condition and in a medically induced coma in the hospital by Monday night. On Tuesday, doctors refused to describe his condition saying the family, which has arrived from the United States, is traumatized and asking for privacy.

Pienaar told The Associated Press that the chimps tore off one of Oberle's testicles and some fingers from one hand as well as mauling his head. This was "to my astonishment, I couldn't believe it because I know those chimps personally," he said.

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/U.S./TexasStudent.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/07/03/safrica-chimps-who-attacked-us-student-to-live/

Udokafan05
07-04-2012, 12:43 AM
I saw this on news. They said they tore off his ears and all his toes. Just crazy

CubanSucks
07-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Punishing wild animals? wtf? As if they made a conscious decision to hurt him?

Hooks
07-04-2012, 01:45 AM
Chimps are crazy and strong as shyt, I'd never get close to one. They're extremely powerful and intelligent, I read a female chimp had lifted 800lbs with one arm (sort of like a deadlift). I also read that if they catch another chimp from a rival group that they'll not only maul it and tear it to pieces but that they actually will rape it regardless of it being male or female.
http://blogphotos.cybertranslator.idv.tw/kaleidoscope/2010/10/hairless-chimp-1.jpg

CubanSucks
07-04-2012, 01:56 AM
Chimps are crazy and strong as shyt, I'd never get close to one. They're extremely powerful and intelligent, I read a female chimp had lifted 800lbs with one arm (sort of like a deadlift). I also read that if they catch another chimp from a rival group that they'll not only maul it and tear it to pieces but that they actually will rape it regardless of it being male or female.
http://blogphotos.cybertranslator.idv.tw/kaleidoscope/2010/10/hairless-chimp-1.jpg

which is why I'm confused by the whole "decided not to punish" thing. That should be a no-brainer

Do these people actually expect these animals to behave civilly?

blkroadrunners
07-04-2012, 02:00 AM

I would believe it if it was a silverback or an orangutan, but I never understood that w/ chimps as far as their strength. I remember the first time I read about the lady who's face was ripped off by a chimp, I thought 'how could a small monkey do that sh*t?' Guess size can be deceptive.

Destro
07-04-2012, 04:02 AM
chimps have 6 times the strength of a human.

TE
07-04-2012, 04:22 AM
chimps have 6 times the strength of a human.

Poor guy. :lol

Wild Cobra Kai
07-04-2012, 08:26 AM

This. These attacks continue on a pretty regular basis, and you never get slightly wounded, you are fucked up for life. This isn't the first time I've read about them going after a guy's junk. It must be a way to keep opponents from breeding so that your clan gains an edge.

Chimps are the second most vicious, cunning mammals on the planet.

mrsmaalox
07-04-2012, 10:22 AM
I would believe it if it was a silverback or an orangutan, but I never understood that w/ chimps as far as their strength. I remember the first time I read about the lady who's face was ripped off by a chimp, I thought 'how could a small monkey do that sh*t?' Guess size can be deceptive.

A small monkey?? I heard on the news that male chimps are 5'6 and weigh 150lbs, that's bigger than I am!

leemajors
07-04-2012, 10:46 AM

Chimps are roughly 5 times as strong as humans on average.

leemajors
07-04-2012, 10:47 AM
This. These attacks continue on a pretty regular basis, and you never get slightly wounded, you are fucked up for life. This isn't the first time I've read about them going after a guy's junk. It must be a way to keep opponents from breeding so that your clan gains an edge.

Chimps are the second most vicious, cunning mammals on the planet.

Killer whales?

Hooks
07-04-2012, 10:56 AM

On average they're around 4-5.5 feet tall, they don't really look that tall because they're always slouched over never standing up, plus their hair covers their lean, muscular body. Just look at these hairless chimps, you can see it's massive forearms, triceps, traps etc, they're like little body builders.

http://www.odditycentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/bald_monkey5.jpg

It's forearms have got to be around 16 inches at least:

http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/picture/baumer/bald-ape01.jpg

http://www.iber-press.com/foto/2010/09/28/2010_09_Jambo_The_Bald_Ape-005.jpg

Wild Cobra Kai
07-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Killer whales?

Nope. The smartest monkey of them all, the one that talks. :wakeup It's no coincidence that they are our closest DNA relative on the planet.

blkroadrunners
07-04-2012, 12:42 PM
On average they're around 4-5.5 feet tall, they don't really look that tall because they're always slouched over never standing up, plus their hair covers their lean, muscular body. Just look at these hairless chimps, you can see it's massive forearms, triceps, traps etc, they're like little body builders.

http://www.odditycentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/bald_monkey5.jpg

http://www.iber-press.com/foto/2010/09/28/2010_09_Jambo_The_Bald_Ape-005.jpg

Holy smokes! I never noticed the muscle tone on these monkeys until now. Their hair and slouchness obvious masked their physique. I guess I gotta catch up on my animal books.

leemajors
07-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Nope. The smartest monkey of them all, the one that talks. :wakeup It's no coincidence that they are our closest DNA relative on the planet.

aye, but they have their own very complicated language as well. hard to judge because their world is so different. i dig the stories of them fucking with humans in the wild, hiding things they are looking for after they watch them gather research equipment, etc

FkLA
07-04-2012, 01:34 PM
^which monkeys talks?

DMC
07-04-2012, 02:08 PM
http://www.grafxhq.com/wp-content/imagescaler/2c79a45a7f01721d2516d38557d0fe31.jpg
They aren't super tall but they can jump like crazy and are stronger than they appear.

BlairForceDejuan
07-04-2012, 03:32 PM
I knew Chimps were strong but never realized they were so jacked. I still want one as a pet.

http://creativecreativity.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8345158fb69e20147e39acf69970b-800wi

m>s
07-04-2012, 06:04 PM
felony charge expected and the chimp will face up to death penalty probably, the punishment should always be harsher than it should be if/when it's a black-on-white crime

TE
07-04-2012, 06:07 PM

:lol

How do you know if they didn't commit the mauling consciously?

GoodOdor
07-04-2012, 06:16 PM
lol usta.

ALVAREZ6
07-04-2012, 06:41 PM
holy fuck...I didn't realize chimps were so jacked. I also normally didn't used to associate them as such big primates because the ones you normally see on TV or in movies are young.

CubanSucks
07-04-2012, 06:55 PM
:lol

How do you know if they didn't commit the mauling consciously?

you know what I mean

It's not as if the chimp thought "Hmm, this human isn't going to harm me but I don't give a fuck! I'm fucking this upright walking bitch up for stepping in my territory!"

It's like saying we're not going to punish a down syndrome kid for going off on someone who scared them, well no shit! You can't punish someone who doesn't even know they did something wrong

Wild Cobra Kai
07-04-2012, 07:08 PM
^which monkeys talks?
Us, although I should have used the term ape instead of monkey. Chimps aren't even monkeys.
http://movieposterreviews.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/turkey-and-the-word-evolution-2010-02-25_l.jpg?w=590

Trill Clinton
07-04-2012, 10:02 PM
gotdamn this sux. white people love to put their lives in jeopardy by fucking with wild animals.

TE
07-04-2012, 10:07 PM
you know what I mean

It's not as if the chimp thought "Hmm, this human isn't going to harm me but I don't give a fuck! I'm fucking this upright walking bitch up for stepping in my territory!"

It's like saying we're not going to punish a down syndrome kid for going off on someone who scared them, well no shit! You can't punish someone who doesn't even know they did something wrong

So your saying because the chimp doesn't have sort of guilt complex (like us humans do), it doesn't deserve to be punished?

redzero
07-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Punished how? What will that accomplish?

TE
07-04-2012, 10:30 PM

Good question. I would think, since these chimps are situated in a sanctuary they've grown to dominate and territorialize, a punishment of banishment of the area would suffice (they would subsequently be relocated into isolated compartments). I mean it is being taken out of it's comfort zone (if that type of thing even exists with chimps)...idk just a thought. If these species are the slightest bit of similar to us humans, they would at least feel some microliter of isolation. I'm no fan of euthanizing an animal so that punishment would come to mind...

resistanze
07-04-2012, 10:31 PM

It's a deterrent!

Shastafarian
07-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Chimps are apes, not monkeys tbh

CubanSucks
07-04-2012, 11:29 PM

Good question. I would think, since these chimps are situated in a sanctuary they've grown to dominate and territorialize, a punishment of banishment of the area would suffice (they would subsequently be relocated into isolated compartments). I mean it is being taken out of it's comfort zone (if that type of thing even exists with chimps)...idk just a thought. If these species are the slightest bit of similar to us humans, they would at least feel some microliter of isolation. I'm no fan of euthanizing an animal so that punishment would come to mind...

Again, what will that accomplish? You'll be putting it through discomfort without it even knowing why. You're seriously over estimating them if you think they can make the connection between their attack and any punishment afterwards. Either euthanize it for being a continuous threat or realize that animals do what animals do

It's a deterrent!

If they're expecting this to keep happening either make sure no human's ever around it or euthanize it. It's not like they're dealing with a child who keeps talking back to its parents

Venti Quattro
07-04-2012, 11:45 PM
He didn't have to get beat by actual chimpanzees, if you know what I mean.

leemajors
07-04-2012, 11:56 PM
lol punishing a chimp for acting like any chimp would

TE
07-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Again, what will that accomplish? You'll be putting it through discomfort without it even knowing why. You're seriously over estimating them if you think they can make the connection between their attack and any punishment afterwards. Either euthanize it for being a continuous threat or realize that animals do what animals do.

Just a hypothetical suggestion I posed. I'm not overestimating anything, just speculating.

Since chimps are genetically the closest life form to human, one would find it fascinating to understand if the chimp actually uses some sort of guilt complex.

Idk just a crazy and unscientifically supported question derived out of my own curiosity.

CuckingFunt
07-05-2012, 12:38 AM

You really decided to double down on stupid this week, didn't you?

Incidentally, an argument between two posters with avatars from The Wire is confusing as fuck. Hard to remember who is season 1 and who is season 4.

TE
07-05-2012, 12:39 AM
You really decided to double down on stupid this week, didn't you?

Incidentally, an argument between two posters with avatars from The Wire is confusing as fuck. Hard to remember who is season 1 and who is season 4.

:lol it's stupid to speculate and wonder? GTFO.

Spurs da champs
07-05-2012, 12:58 AM

Well Chimps do form groups in the wild & will do this to other lone or smaller groups of Chimps. They obviously had the intent but as somebody mentioned white people usually do stupid stuff with or to wild animals. :lol

CubanSucks
07-05-2012, 01:55 AM
Well Chimps do form groups in the wild & will do this to other lone or smaller groups of Chimps. They obviously had the intent but as somebody mentioned white people usually do stupid stuff with or to wild animals. :lol

doesn't mean there's a reason to "punish" them

again, euthanize or do nothing at all, there's no such thing as punishment

Spurs da champs
07-05-2012, 02:01 AM
doesn't mean there's a reason to "punish" them

again, euthanize or do nothing at all, there's no such thing as punishment

I agree.

Creepn
07-05-2012, 02:18 AM
If the chimp was raised by humans and was taught that harming a human was wrong then the chimp should have some sort of connection in the back of it's head that he's doing something bad. I could see punishment in this case.

A wild ape though? No sense in punishing them.

CubanSucks
07-05-2012, 02:45 AM
If the chimp was raised by humans and was taught that harming a human was wrong then the chimp should have some sort of connection in the back of it's head that he's doing something bad. I could see punishment in this case.

How would you teach it that harming a human was wrong if it's never harmed a human? And since I didn't read anything about it doing anything like this before, I'm guessing it never has

BacktoBasics
07-05-2012, 02:44 PM
:lol it's stupid to speculate and wonder? GTFO.Try and do your best to contain your hatred.

cantthinkofanything
07-05-2012, 04:09 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__pxwUnuveJE/TB0dOpVWUyI/AAAAAAAAAWI/aT8yhUzz2pg/s1600/monkey-sword-fight1.jpg