PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Sentinel: Magic to interview Jacque Vaughn for Head Coach

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 02:20 PM
The Orlando Magic are expected to interview Michael Malone, Brian Shaw, Quin Snyder and Jacque Vaughn for their head-coaching vacancy, the Orlando Sentinel has learned from league sources.

Although it's unclear whether additional candidates are on the list or will be added to the list, Magic general manager Rob Hennigan likely will conduct first-round interviews with Malone, Shaw, Snyder and Vaughn over the next week.

http://ht.ly/c1chs

Darkwaters
07-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Interesting. Good for Jacque.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Damn, I was hoping he was going to spend the summer working with Cory

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Damn, I was hoping he was going to spend the summer working with Cory

Still have TJ, don't we?

Darkwaters
07-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Still have TJ, don't we?

Technically he was traded to Golden State and retired a Warrior.

Is he still hanging around the Spurs organization though? I hadn't heard that.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Technically he was traded to Golden State and retired a Warrior.

Is he still hanging around the Spurs organization though? I hadn't heard that.

After the trade and his release from GS, he spent the rest of the season in Austin with the Toros on a sort of coaching internship.

Darkwaters
07-04-2012, 02:47 PM
After the trade and his release from GS, he spent the rest of the season in Austin with the Toros on a sort of coaching internship.

Oh, you're right! I totally had forgotten about that, but I do remember hearing about it when it took place.

Yea, hopefully some TLC on Cory Joe's game will make him serviceable.

timvp
07-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Vaughn already getting HC interviews is pretty awesome for him. Only a matter of time before he's a head coach.

Vic Petro
07-04-2012, 03:12 PM
I thought he'd be the eventual Pop replacement tbh. Guess he'll be gone long before then.

Nathan89
07-04-2012, 03:14 PM
What a great career move he made by finishing with the Spurs. It allowed him to get a coaching position with the team. Anyone who has the Spurs on their resume goes to the top of the stack of open positions around the league.

Dunc n Dave
07-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Brian Shaw is long overdue for his shot. TBH, I can't see Orlando taking Jacque over Shaw.

Lakers should have gone with Shaw over Brown last year, IMO...

Steve-O-Matic
07-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Courtesy interview. Vaughn isn't close to being ready. He's ostensibly been a coaching intern for 2 seasons.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Courtesy interview. Vaughn isn't close to being ready. He's ostensibly been a coaching intern for 2 seasons.

Which is 2 years more coaching training/experience than either Vinny del Negro or Mark Jackson had before being hired as NBA coaches.

Steve-O-Matic
07-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Which is 2 years more coaching training/experience than either Vinny del Negro or Mark Jackson had before being hired as NBA coaches.

Yep, and they weren't qualified either.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Yep, and they weren't qualified either.

And their interviews weren't courtesy interviews.

Steve-O-Matic
07-04-2012, 03:51 PM
And their interviews weren't courtesy interviews.

Never said they were.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Never said they were.

Connect the dots.

FkLA
07-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Why doesnt Budenholzer get more love from teams? Is it cause hes the clear cut heir to Pop ?

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Why doesnt Budenholzer get more love from teams? Is it cause hes the clear cut heir to Pop ?

That has to be the case. Seems to me that Bud would only leave the Spurs to go to a very favorable situation. Bud probably has as much insight as anyone about when Pop plans to leave the bench.

Bruno
07-04-2012, 06:29 PM
All 4 candidates are relatively young coaches that have never been NBA head coach. It's a sure sign that Orlando will trade one way or another Dwight Howard this summer. It will be suicide to put an inexperienced coach against a disgruntled NBA superstar.

We were all laughing at the Nets but they might very well get Howard with their crappy offer.

bigfan
07-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Always thought JV was a pretty sharp dude. Good luck to him!

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-04-2012, 08:09 PM
I've seen him on the bench during the games but never saw him interact with the players or other coaches during games. He was always just sitting and watching. Maybe I just missed it. I'm sure he was quite active behind the scenes, but he seems very green to get this kind of offer. But good for him to be in the mix already.

racm
07-04-2012, 10:29 PM
From second string point guard in 07 to head coach candidate. Wow.

TE
07-04-2012, 10:36 PM
From second string point guard in 07 to head coach candidate. Wow.

Can't teach basketball savviness and IQ, TBH. J.V. certainly had that while he wore the Spurs uniform.

kolko
07-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

The candidacy of San Antonio assistant Jacque Vaughn has gathered momentum in Orlando's coaching search, league sources tell Y! Sports.

coyotes_geek
07-13-2012, 08:56 AM
If I were Jacque I'd pass on this one. Orlando's situation is just so screwed up. There will be other opportunities for him.

timvp
07-13-2012, 09:18 AM
If I were Jacque I'd pass on this one. Orlando's situation is just so screwed up. There will be other opportunities for him.

Vaughn should take it on the condition that Howard will be traded and they'll enter a full rebuilding stage. If that's the case, Vaughn will have a few years of low pressure coaching to adjust.

But, yeah, if the Howard situation is going to be hanging over his head at all, that's not a very good job to walk into, especially since Vaughn will be a head coach one way or another.

mountainballer
07-13-2012, 09:25 AM
if the Magic get rid of Howard and JV can start from scratch he has to take care that they don't do to good. he will get fired if they win more than 20 and eventually lose the lottery.

coyotes_geek
07-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Vaughn should take it on the condition that Howard will be traded and they'll enter a full rebuilding stage. If that's the case, Vaughn will have a few years of low pressure coaching to adjust.

But, yeah, if the Howard situation is going to be hanging over his head at all, that's not a very good job to walk into, especially since Vaughn will be a head coach one way or another.

Taking that job on a promise that Dwight gets traded is still incredibly risky because you have no idea what that trade is going to leave you to work with. Are you going to end up with Bynum, or just some collection of rocket scrubs and expiring contracts? What could be percieved as a few years of low pressure without an expectation to win could just as easily end up being a few years of stockpiling lottery picks for your successor to work with.

bigfan
07-13-2012, 11:00 AM
I agree with TIMVP that JV should ensure DH is long gone before he comes there. That whole situation is poison for whomever is the coach, a no win situation. Jaque will probably make a good coach but if I were him Id stay away from DH altogether.

tesseractive
07-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Taking that job on a promise that Dwight gets traded is still incredibly risky because you have no idea what that trade is going to leave you to work with. Are you going to end up with Bynum, or just some collection of rocket scrubs and expiring contracts? What could be percieved as a few years of low pressure without an expectation to win could just as easily end up being a few years of stockpiling lottery picks for your successor to work with.
Honestly, I think he'd be crazy to accept until the situation is actually resolved and he knows what he has to work with.

Gregzilla
07-13-2012, 02:06 PM

agree 100%, only reason he's getting interviewed is because of Hennigan...Jacque was probably very nice to him when he was interning and now Hennigan is just trying to touch all bases and rekindle past relationships. No way in hell Vaughn gets the job..or any other head job at least for a few more years

slick'81
07-13-2012, 04:03 PM
if vaughn wants to coach now great for him

Mel_13
07-14-2012, 06:10 PM
League sources say Jacque Vaughn is front-runner, with Lindsey Hunter second for Magic job.

https://twitter.com/GeryWoelfel

Wild Cobra Kai
07-14-2012, 07:40 PM
You can't be picky about your first HC job. The really plum positions are usually filled with well regarded veteran head coaches. Vaughn should absolutely take it since it seems they are doing a complete organization re-boot in the Spurs image.

Mel_13
07-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Michael Malone is no longer under consideration for ‪#Magic‬ coaching job, Malone's agent told the @OrlandoSentinel.

Confirmed by the OS. RT @sam_amick: Brian Shaw has pulled out of the Orlando coaching search, a source told http://SI.com

https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins

timvp
07-15-2012, 05:41 PM
You can't be picky about your first HC job. The really plum positions are usually filled with well regarded veteran head coaches. Vaughn should absolutely take it since it seems they are doing a complete organization re-boot in the Spurs image.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it's a great job for Vaughn. The Magic are going to trade Howard, it's just a matter of time. Vaughn will have a smart front office, an owner who has shown willingness to spend whatever it takes and a window to learn on the job. Oh, and a new arena and one of the better practice facilities.

If you look at it, it's almost the same exact situation that Doc Rivers had with his first coaching job. He joined the Magic a couple years after Shaq left and was able to make a good impression and learn the craft with little pressure. And Rivers has gone on to have a great coaching career.

Vaughn is a damn smart, has a good head on his shoulders and was always one of those players who was obviously going to make a better coach than player. I hope he gets the Magic job and does well.

Mel_13
07-15-2012, 05:47 PM
does it mean that Jacque Vaughn will get it?

No, but some of his primary competitors for the job are out of the running. Plus the GM is a San Antonio product.

Mel_13
07-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Jazz assistant Jeff Hornack has been told he will not be the new head coach at Orlando. More to come.

The 3 finalists for the ‪#Orlando‬ ‪#Magic‬ coaching job indeed are Michael Curry, Lindsey Hunter & Jacque Vaughn.

https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins

timvp
07-16-2012, 03:14 PM
I think Vaughn has that job if he wants it. Curry was a disaster in Detroit. Hunter hasn't even been an assistant coach yet in the NBA, AFIAK.

DPG21920
07-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Shaq:

@SHAQ: Orlando magic is about to hire jock Vaugh over mike Malone or Brian shaw are u kidding me, wow, good luck winning wit Dat team Dwite howard

Spurs da champs
07-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Shaq:

Can't blame him tbh, Vaughn's barely been an assistant for 3-4 years & he hasn't even been on the big boy bench.

tesseractive
07-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Can't blame him tbh, Vaughn's barely been an assistant for 3-4 years & he hasn't even been on the big boy bench.

He's just pissy because his boy Shaw got passed over.

Spurs da champs
07-22-2012, 07:42 PM
He's just pissy because his boy Shaw got passed over.

Shaw is a better choice then Vaughn tho he got that right.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Didn't Shaw withdraw?

bigdog
07-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Looks like Vaughn got it.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/New-Magic-coach-to-be-named/-/1637132/15630634/-/hxbyqv/-/index.html

dunkman
07-22-2012, 08:38 PM
No way Vaughn passes on that job if gets offered, he well get paid at least $2-3M per season. Assistant coaches get nowhere near that money. He can't be picky even if the Magic doesn't trade Howard. It will be difficult to get another chance. Shaw has yet to have his chance after a lot of years.

slick'81
07-22-2012, 09:46 PM
great for vaughn the spurs pipeline continues

JonNOKC
07-22-2012, 09:52 PM
With Newman and Vaughn on to other gigs. Anybody have any info or guesses on who may be joining POP and coach Bud on the bench

baseline bum
07-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Major congrats to JV. I wish him nothing but success after his years of service here. And anyone who wants to rag on the guy is ignorant. Vaughn hit two huge shots and made 2 even bigger assists in the last couple of minutes of the third quarter against Phoenix in game 6 of '07 to really blow open the most important game of the season.

SenorSpur
07-22-2012, 10:11 PM
I hope Vaughn does get the job. I wish him nothing but the best of success. The Spurs organizational success continues.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-22-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm surprised Holt doesn't start charging money to join the Spurs FO. Great track record to getting other, bigger jobs.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Great to see that a good number of owners are willing to follow the Spurs FO approach. Not sure what the net total effect on the league will be, but in some small way it makes me think the league is moving in a good direction.

Spurs Brazil
07-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Major congrats to JV. I wish him nothing but success after his years of service here. And anyone who wants to rag on the guy is ignorant. Vaughn hit two huge shots and made 2 even bigger assists in the last couple of minutes of the third quarter against Phoenix in game 6 of '07 to really blow open the most important game of the season.

:tu

Mel_13
07-28-2012, 10:32 AM

agree 100%, only reason he's getting interviewed is because of Hennigan...Jacque was probably very nice to him when he was interning and now Hennigan is just trying to touch all bases and rekindle past relationships. No way in hell Vaughn gets the job..or any other head job at least for a few more years

Courtesy hire, I guess.

Vaughn Named Magic's Coach

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/denton-vaughn-named-magics-coach

BackHome
07-29-2012, 05:25 PM
They want to tank so they get a new coach which is good for both I guess. Vaughn get's head coaching experience the Magic probably get top four pick next draft everyone happy.

Halberto
07-30-2012, 03:41 PM
^your sentences make my head hurt