PDA

View Full Version : Lakers get Nash

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks phoenix for getting worse and for sending one of the worst defensive players of all-time to a Laker team who have enough trouble defending TP. All the while they still have a defensive-minded coach who won't know how to mask Nash's big weakness. Funny shit...unless they manage to get Howard still.

Agloco
07-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks phoenix for getting worse and for sending one of the worst defensive players of all-time to a Laker team who have enough trouble defending TP. All the while they still have a defensive-minded coach who won't know how to mask Nash's big weakness. Funny shit...unless they manage to get Howard still.

They will get Howard tbh. This year or next, they will have him.

DMX7
07-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Seems like a good pickup for them, but who knows

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 08:51 PM

Nah, something tells me no one wants to hook them up this time. They traded alot of draft picks for Nash...and Orlando surely wants at least a couple good draft picks too. After seeing how the Lakers succeeded once they got Shaq, I have to believe Orlando doesn't want to hook them up again.

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Seems like a good pickup for them, but who knows

Good pickup to beat many teams in the West but not the top ones, especially us and the Thunder.

K-State Spur
07-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Because any time you can trade 4 picks for a soon to be 40 year old pg who may increase your defensive issues at the position, you have to do that.

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Because any time you can trade 4 picks for a soon to be 40 year old pg who may increase your defensive issues at the position, you have to do that.

TP usually gets a hard on anytime he faces the Lakers...imagine how he's gonna feel about playing them now!

Agloco
07-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Nah, something tells me no one wants to hook them up this time. They traded alot of draft picks for Nash...and Orlando surely wants at least a couple good draft picks too. After seeing how the Lakers succeeded once they got Shaq, I have to believe Orlando doesn't want to hook them up again.

I think that Orlando is less concerned about the success the Lakers might have and more concerned about the assets the Lakers have to offer them in return. And they have quite a few, despite the moves they made to get Nash.

Agloco
07-04-2012, 09:10 PM

The thing is, Nash is an upgrade to anyone they have now.

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I think that Orlando is less concerned about the success the Lakers might have and more concerned about the assets the Lakers have to offer them in return. And they have quite a few, despite the moves they made to get Nash.

What assets? You mean ONE asset, a temperamental knuckle-head who cares more about himself than the rest of the team and would rather chuck threes just to piss off a coach. Yeah, sign me up for that nutcase.

rascal
07-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Good pickup to beat many teams in the West but not the top ones, especially us and the Thunder.

The Lakers would have beaten the Spurs last year without Nash.
The Spurs are too small for the Lakers.

rascal
07-04-2012, 09:11 PM

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 09:12 PM
The thing is, Nash is an upgrade to anyone they have now.

No, not in the playoffs when it's all about matchups. And if they match up with us or the Thunder next year, they're in deep shit.

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 09:15 PM

Only two teams were better than us this past season, the Thunder and the Heat. We would've taken the Lakers out, no doubt about it. Pop would've out-coached Brown and the Lakers can't defend the pick and roll...much less so now with Nash at the point.

MI21
07-04-2012, 09:15 PM
San Antonio will have absolutely no chance to defend the Lakers now. Zero.

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 09:16 PM

We won't need to, we'll simply out score them at will with the worst player to ever defend the point in the history of the game.

rascal
07-04-2012, 09:18 PM
No, not in the playoffs when it's all about matchups. And if they match up with us or the Thunder next year, they're in deep shit.

Spurs won't be the number 1 seed next year.
Mark it down.

rascal
Only two teams were better than us this past season, the Thunder and the Heat. We would've taken the Lakers out, no doubt about it. Pop would've out-coached Brown and the Lakers can't defend the pick and roll...much less so now with Nash at the point.

Nope. The spurs were too soft on the frontline.

SpurPadre
WTF is up with the closeted Laker fans here. Nash is pushing 40 and a putrid defender, calm the fuck down. They're not a danger unless things are rigged for them to get Dwight.

spursince#99
07-04-2012, 09:20 PM

:lol yeah its crazy how good we are at running the pick and roll compared to how notoriously bad we are at defending it.

MI21
07-04-2012, 09:22 PM
We won't need to, we'll simply out score them at will with the worst player to ever defend the point in the history of the game.

Nash is a capable team defender and I expect having Bynum behind him will help.

When the Lakers trot out Nash, Bryant, Artest, Gasol, Bynum - they won't be easy to score on in a playoff environment.

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 09:24 PM

When the Lakers trot out Nash, Bryant, Artest, Gasol, Bynum - they won't be easy to score on in a playoff environment.

Again, Nash is a putrid defender and is pushing 40. I don't get the Laker fandom coming out of Spurs fans here.

MI21
07-04-2012, 09:24 PM
:lol yeah its crazy how good we are at running the pick and roll compared to how notoriously bad we are at defending it.

Yeah, it's frustrating.

I'm thinking that it's probably because you don't have to be athletic to dominate using a pick and roll offensively, but having nice lateral movement and the ability to hedge and recover with length and quickness can really help when defending the PnR.

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Notorious Laker homer J.A. Adande just said on ESPN that the Spurs and Thunder are still better than them because they are the deeper team and 'cuz Nash can't hang defensively against their PGs. He still has hope they get Howard, though.

MI21
07-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Again, Nash is a putrid defender and is pushing 40. I don't get the Laker fandom coming out of Spurs fans here.

No doubting he is a shit defender, it just isn't going to be as much of a liability with LA as it was with Phoenix.

rascal
07-04-2012, 09:27 PM
If Nash is pushing 40 then Duncan is pushing 38.

T Park
07-04-2012, 09:30 PM

Since when did Nash become a capable defender?

SpurPadre
If Nash is pushing 40 then Duncan is pushing 38.

Yeah but TD has the fortune of not having to defend a wide range of All-Star caliber bigs since there's a shortage of them compared to PGs in the league. And, oh yeah, TD isn't a shit defender unlike Nash. TD may be old but the defense is still there.

SpurPadre

In bizarro world.

MI21
07-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Capable team defender.

You know, like how Larry Bird was a shithouse defender but good in a team situation.

rascal
07-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Notorious Laker homer J.A. Adande just said on ESPN that the Spurs and Thunder are still better than them because they are the deeper team and 'cuz Nash can't hang defensively against their PGs. He still has hope they get Howard, though.

The lakers have a history of reloading their roster with stars. The spurs have to wait until they draft their stars.

Nash is getting old but he is still an upgrade to what they had there. Nash and Sessions is a solid pg rotation.

TD 21
07-04-2012, 09:33 PM

Of course, because everything conveniently always works out for them and because this move alone doesn't vault them into pole position. But Howard? He would or at the very least would have the potential to. Just like how every other time they're on the verge of being irrelevant something emerges out of the blue and saves them.

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Capable team defender.

You know, like how Larry Bird was a shithouse defender but good in a team situation.

You have any video clips to prove that because that's the first time anyone has put capable and defender in the same sentence with Nash whether it's mentioning the team or individual.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 09:35 PM
The lakers have a history of reloading their roster with stars. The spurs have to wait until they draft their stars.

Nash is getting old but he is still an upgrade to what they had there. Nash and Sessions is a solid pg rotation.

:rolleyes

If the Spurs traded for a player that will turn 39 before the next playoffs begin, and has a reputation as a poor defender, you'd be in here talking about what a puny,futile move the Spurs had made.

Oh, they won't be signing Sessions now. It will be Nash and Blake.

therealtruth
07-04-2012, 09:35 PM

I even doubt the Thunder or Heat were better.

rascal
07-04-2012, 09:36 PM

Nash is a good offensive player, a top floor general and he will get the bigs more involved. He will work well with breaking down the defense and getting kobe the ball on the break.

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Nash is a good offensive player, a top floor general and he will get the bigs more involved. He will work well with breaking down the defense and getting kobe the ball on the break.

Yeah, because Kobe has always had trouble getting the ball before...riiiiiggght.

rascal
07-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Yeah, because Kobe has always had trouble getting the ball before...riiiiiggght.

Kobe has never played with a pg as good as Nash.

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 09:40 PM
I even doubt the Thunder or Heat were better.

Good point...but with the Thunder getting a good draft pick, they're better now and KD, Harden and Westbrook haven't reached their primes yet.

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Kobe has never played with a pg as good as Nash.

With 5 championships, Kobe never needed one. He just needs one who can play some defense. The only reason he wanted Nash to play for them is so he can continue to pad up his stats in his never ending obsession to be like Mike...which he'll never be.

MI21
07-04-2012, 09:42 PM
You have any video clips to prove that because that's the first time anyone has put capable and defender in the same sentence with Nash whether it's mentioning the team or individual.

Nash is adept at drawing charges. His physicaly limitations inhibit him on defense, not his mind. He is a decent team defender. Capable.

Manu is also a below average man defender, but is a very good team defender. The two aspects are different.

ElNono
07-04-2012, 09:44 PM
:lol Nash has his vacations planned by the end of April... it isn't changing now... If they wanted no-defense playoff-clutch they should've stayed with Fish...

rascal
07-04-2012, 09:44 PM
i remember when the Lakers got O'Neal how many Spur fans said it wasn't going to make any difference because Shaq never won a title.

I remember when the Lakers got Gasol Spur fans said he wasn't any good, was too soft and never won anything.

No matter how good other teams upgrade talent spur fans will find a way to say it wasn't a good move.

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Nash is adept at drawing charges. His physicaly limitations inhibit him on defense, not his mind. He is a decent team defender. Capable.

Manu is also a below average man defender, but is a very good team defender. The two aspects are different.

I will agree to disagree but to insult Manu is pretty low, man.

ElNono
07-04-2012, 09:46 PM
i remember when the Lakers got O'Neal how many Spur fans said it wasn't going to make any difference because Shaq never won a title.

I remember when the Lakers got Gasol Spur fans said he wasn't any good, was too soft and never won anything.

No matter how good other teams upgrade talent spur fans will find a way to say it wasn't a good move.

:lol terrible comparisons... you're talking two young big men... Nash has been over the hill for a while now... Kirby isn't that far...

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 09:47 PM

:rolleyes

And no matter what the Spurs do, there you'll be to piss on it.

Ice009
It's a great move for the Lakers. Those of you saying otherwise are just not really seeing what Nash can do for them. His defensive limitations wouldn't be as bad with two good bigs behind him.

Xylus
Nash is a capable team defender like MI21 said.

And trust me on that, it's not often I compliment Lakers players.

SpurPadre

That's revisionist history. Most sane people complained about the Lakers getting Shaq and most people definitely believed the Grizzlies got raped by the Lakers in that deal, with even Pop complaining about that deal.

rascal
07-04-2012, 09:48 PM
:lol terrible comparisons... you're talking two young big men... Nash has been over the hill for a while now... Kirby isn't that far...

I am not comparing anything. I am saying that no matter what deal the Lakers pull off many in here will say it wasn't a good move.

dbestpro
So Dallas misses on Williams (trashed a defend ring season), Toronto misses on Nash (overpays Fields), and Houston (trades for picks to get Howard) and gets a team full of rookies.

So, which team is the biggest loser?

ElNono
Lakers did right by acquiring Sessions for nothing... mixing in some youth is what they need... what sucked for them is that Sessions was a terrible defender... that's obviously still to be addressed, seeing Nash is simply a downgrade in that department...

SpurPadre

Coming from a Suns fan, I'll take that with a grain of salt. It's not like you've been exposed to defense much in your time as a Suns fan, even the time your team swept us a few years ago.

MI21
07-04-2012, 09:49 PM
I will agree to disagree but to insult Manu is pretty low, man.

Not an insult to Manu. Playoff Manu used to be an above-average man defender and absolute elite team defender (like, Top 10 in the L) in my eyes.. but now, his man defense is quite bad. Not Nash bad, but bad.

Xylus
Coming from a Suns fan, I'll take that with a grain of salt. It's not like you've been exposed to defense much in your time as a Suns fan, even the time your team swept us a few years ago.

Okay.

rascal
That's revisionist history. Most sane people complained about the Lakers getting Shaq and most people definitely believed the Grizzlies got raped by the Lakers in that deal, with even Pop complaining about that deal.

You don't remember well. Yes pop complained but many in here ( not all) were saying Gasol was soft, never won anything and wasn't going to help the lakers much.

ElNono
I am not comparing anything. I am saying that no matter what deal the Lakers pull off many in here will say it wasn't a good move.

:lol sure you are... the entire league went nuts when Memphis pulled that trade, including Pop...

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 09:50 PM

rascal majored in revisionist history. Have him tell you the one about how the Spurs passed on Rasheed Wallace when they could have had him for scraps. It's a real hoot.

ElNono
07-04-2012, 09:52 PM
You don't remember well. Yes pop complained but many in here ( not all) were saying Gasol was soft, never won anything and wasn't going to help the lakers much.

Back then the Spurs were coming out of a championship... obviously there was some bravado there, and there were reasons to back it up... right now it's nothing like that...

rascal
07-04-2012, 09:53 PM
rascal majored in revisionist history. Have him tell you the one about how the Spurs passed on Rasheed Wallace when they could have had him for scraps. It's a real hoot.

Are you a woman? I always figured you to be a woman.

You sure like following me around at this site.

baseline bum
07-04-2012, 09:54 PM

I remember when the Spurs were winning titles with elite frontcourt players and rascal said he hated them because they were boring and didn't run.

Then I remember when the Spurs became a running team and rascal hated them for not having elite bigs.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 09:54 PM
:cry:cry:cry

rascal
07-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Nash is getting up there in age, no doubt but he is still a capable offensive force and is a big upgrade as a floor general who will make the other players better.

rascal
07-04-2012, 09:57 PM
I guess your a woman. Nothing wrong with that. :toast

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 10:01 PM
I guess your a woman. Nothing wrong with that. :toast

:lmao

You post garbage and get called on it.

Then you whine about getting called on it.

And for smack talk, that's weaker than your basketball takes.

What a miserable, pathetic, self-proclaimed loser you are.

rascal
07-04-2012, 10:01 PM
I remember when the Spurs were winning titles with elite frontcourt players and rascal said he hated them because they were boring and didn't run.

Then I remember when the Spurs became a running team and rascal hated them for not having elite bigs.

The Spurs are not a running team. You don't know running teams if you think the Spurs are a running team. the Spurs back in the 1970s were a running team.

They are a spot up shooting team with excellent 3 point shooters. Have excellent ball movement passing around the perimeter finding open looks.

The Spurs don't have enough athleticism to be a running team. They don't have enough finishers.

MI21
07-04-2012, 10:03 PM

Yeah, I've never liked Steve Nash and found him to be really overrated during his prime - but he is a capable team defender, which still is something.

Spurs fans often think that because our team was good defensive 5 years ago, we have some insider knowledge as to what defense is. Nearly every prospect is tagged as a bad defender, it frustrates me.

DPG21920
07-04-2012, 10:03 PM

Mel_13 doesn't always go HAM, but when he does, he does it on Rascal.

Stay regulated my friends

MI21
07-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Good thread though, would read again and recommend to family and friends.

MI21
07-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Mel_13 doesn't always go HAM, but when he does, he does it on Rascal.

Stay regulated my friends

:lol

I've never seen such emotion from Mel_13.

rascal
07-04-2012, 10:05 PM

Getting worked up over a loser makes you a loser. :lmao

SamoanTD
07-04-2012, 10:06 PM

That is what you call getting your sh** pushed in right there :lol.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Getting worked up over a loser makes you a loser. :lmao

I'm just having a good laugh at your expense.

Tell us another story so we can laugh some more.

rascal
07-04-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm just having a good laugh at your expense.

Tell us another story so we can laugh some more.

You have to come up with something better than that. :lmao

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 10:14 PM
You have to come up with something better than that. :lmao

My work is done here. You've been effectively neutered again.

TE
07-04-2012, 10:15 PM
This thread delivers. :tu :lol

baseline bum
07-04-2012, 10:18 PM
The Spurs are not a running team. You don't know running teams if you think the Spurs are a running team. the Spurs back in the 1970s were a running team.

They are a spot up shooting team with excellent 3 point shooters. Have excellent ball movement passing around the perimeter finding open looks.

The Spurs don't have enough athleticism to be a running team. They don't have enough finishers.

:cry I hate bigmen they're boring, now I hate the Spurs cuz they don't got bigmen :cry

cd98
07-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Looks like they might get Grant Hill as well. Last year Kobe couldn't get easy shots. Now he has a guy that can get him the balk without him having to work so hard.

Nash will also make the bigs better.

Defense will be an issue, but less so with Laker bigs being top notch shot blockers.

SpurPadre
07-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Looks like they might get Grant Hill as well. Last year Kobe couldn't get easy shots. Now he has a guy that can get him the balk without him having to work so hard.

Nash will also make the bigs better.

Defense will be an issue, but less so with Laker bigs being top notch shot blockers.

Yeah, instead of working a little harder on offense, he'll now have to work EXTRA harder on defense to guard the guy who will run by Nash each and every time out.

benefactor
07-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Why do people even bother with rascal anymore? Just give him a "Shut up, faggot" and move on.

maverick1948
07-04-2012, 10:43 PM

How the hell did you get a black name? Nash cant play 25 mins anymore. WTF Parker will kill him on every drive. If the Laker rotate it will be on a big stick not the court.

:toast

Wild Cobra Kai
07-04-2012, 10:43 PM

Exactly. He wasn't even a capable defender 10 years ago. I still watch the game six 4th quarter from the 2003 Mavs series with joy, as Nash repeatedly came off Kerr and allowed him to go off.

Part of what makes Nash the offensive force that he is is his constant probing and looking for mismatches in the half court, dribbling back and forth along the baseline behind the backboard.. Does anyone really think Kobe is going to allow him to handle the ball for 18 second per possession?

Capt Bringdown
07-04-2012, 11:01 PM
At some point, Nash's wheels are going to fall off, right? He seems overdue. A gamble on LA's part, but I guess if they can win with a stiff like Fisher, Nash might fit the bill.
I guess Kobe can get back to concentrating 100% on chucking...

T Park
07-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Capable team defender.

Nash and good defender are not not ever have been in the same sentence.

callo1
07-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Great addition to the Lakers tbh, Nash doesn't need to score any more, and can get open shots for others. To those saying Nash doesn't play defense, that is true, but it won't hurt the Lakers much at all with their length inside.

Great grab by the Lakers.

Duncan2177
07-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Bad trade for the lakers they traded there 2013 and 2015 first-round picks and 2013 and 2014 second-round picks for a 38 year old point guard. :lol

timvp
07-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Nash is Bruce Bowen compared to Ramon Sessions. Nash, as MI21 said, has morphed into a pretty good team defender. He is always near the top in the league in charges drawn and his rotations have come a long, long, long way is the last half decade. His ability to draw offensive fouls, cut off driving angles and rotate properly make him almost average on defense overall. Not quite but pretty damn close and a much better defender than someone like Sessions.

The Lakers got much better with this trade. Nash will make sure their bigs get touches and will probably allow Kobe to conserve energy to become a force in the second half of games. It will also allow them to do away with the weak version of the triangle offense that they used last year.

L.A.'s ceiling is pretty damn high. Way higher than the Spurs' ceiling, tbh.

The two things the Spurs have to hope for are:

1. The Lakers don't blend well. Maybe Kobe bristles at not being able to dominate the ball. Maybe Bynum won't want to expend the energy it takes to be a pick-and-roll bigman.

2. Mike Brown might run the team into the ground in the regular season. Brown played Kobe way too much last year ... and Bynum too for that matter. If Brown doesn't conserve Nash, Nash could easily break down.

To go along with No. 2, Nash is pretty damn old. Add to that the fact that he's leaving Phoenix's legendary training staff and I have my doubts he can stay healthy and playing at a high level.

But if he does, they could become a monster.

ducks
07-04-2012, 11:48 PM
sessions has not resigned yet
great move if sessions resigns and is happy coming off bench

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 11:50 PM
sessions has not resigned yet
great move if sessions resigns and is happy coming off bench

They won't bring back Sessions now. They have 3 PGs under contract.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 11:59 PM
1. The Lakers don't blend well.

Outside of injury, this the biggest obstacle for the Lakers. With Pau, Kobe, Bynum, and MWP, they have personalities that range from fragile to crazy. Mike Brown hasn't shown the ability to meld that bunch into a cohesive unit that plays for one another. If Nash can improve the team chemistry, then they will be much improved.

Even in that case, I still see OKC as the class of the conference.

The ADMIRAL 50
07-04-2012, 11:59 PM
I dont understand though: how is Steve Nash gonna pass Kobe the rock when Kobes already got it?

Spurs da champs
07-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Steve Nash on Lakers is fucking stupid, now they're gonna get burned even worse by Westbrook,Paul, Parker & Lawson, smh.

MI21
07-05-2012, 12:21 AM
How the hell did you get a black name? Nash cant play 25 mins anymore. WTF Parker will kill him on every drive. If the Laker rotate it will be on a big stick not the court.

:toast

Probably something to do with my being a member of the site since 2002 and having very good knowledge of basketball, tbh. I don't post a lot, but I know my shit.

Nash can't play 25MPG? He played 31MPG last season in a game style that is a bit more tiring than the way LA play. Yes Tony Parker will kill him on every drive. Much like has with every other Laker PG ever. Problem is this time, that PG can make him pay on the other end. Steve Nash shooting open 3's is not something I want to see.

Nash and good defender are not not ever have been in the same sentence.

Agreed. I said capable team defender. Once again, capable. I'm not trying to say the guy is Gary Payton or Lindsay Hunter, he is most definitely below average in man-to-man situations. But team wise, he is no liability.

Nash is Bruce Bowen compared to Ramon Sessions. Nash, as MI21 said, has morphed into a pretty good team defender. He is always near the top in the league in charges drawn and his rotations have come a long, long, long way is the last half decade. His ability to draw offensive fouls, cut off driving angles and rotate properly make him almost average on defense overall. Not quite but pretty damn close and a much better defender than someone like Sessions.

Thank you.

I expect the masses to all of a sudden change there tune because timvp has chimed in with his knowledgable and accurate take.

MI21
07-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Outside of injury, this the biggest obstacle for the Lakers. With Pau, Kobe, Bynum, and MWP, they have personalities that range from fragile to crazy. Mike Brown hasn't shown the ability to meld that bunch into a a cohesive unit that plays for another. If Nash can improve the team chemistry, then they will be much improved.

Even in that case, I still see OKC as the class of the conference.

Yeah, I agree with this.

If Phil Jackson was still coach, this team could be pretty amazing. As it stands now though, until I see it on the court, I gotta go with OKC above them.

ElNono
07-05-2012, 12:38 AM
ehhh, it's not a terrible signing or anything like that, but it still doesn't answer a lot of needs the Lakers had... they got roasted on the perimeter and their pick and roll defense was atrocious throughout. Denver and OKC also had success pushing the pace and running the ball against them. Sessions provided much needed penetration for them, but he was just burned on individual defense.

Nash doesn't really address any of that. Not even sold he would be bringing much leadership, which they lost when Fish went away. Nash does address the 3 point shooting situation for them. I also think Mik:lol Br:lolwn will be a detriment. If you look at Nash's minutes last season, you'll see he averaged 31 mpg, but at the very end of the season he had a tough time staying on the floor, and this was on a shortened season. If the Lakeshow doesn't start on a good winning streak, I can see Brown running them to the ground.

Andthentherewas21
07-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Nash is definitely an improvement for them, however I'm not sure if his presence vaults them above the Spurs. Definitely doesn't put them above OKC.

The Lakers bench is still suspect unless they unload Gasol for a handful of good role players. Match that with the age of Kobe, Nash, and even Artest and Gasol at this point, your going to be putting a lot of minutes on 4 guys the wrong side of 30. Also as MEL_13 pointed out, you've got a wide range of personalities. Bynum especially has been inconsistent (though that may change with someone other than Kobe running the offense).

baseline bum
07-05-2012, 01:03 AM

The Lakers got much better with this trade. Nash will make sure their bigs get touches and will probably allow Kobe to conserve energy to become a force in the second half of games. It will also allow them to do away with the weak version of the triangle offense that they used last year.

L.A.'s ceiling is pretty damn high. Way higher than the Spurs' ceiling, tbh.

The two things the Spurs have to hope for are:

1. The Lakers don't blend well. Maybe Kobe bristles at not being able to dominate the ball. Maybe Bynum won't want to expend the energy it takes to be a pick-and-roll bigman.

2. Mike Brown might run the team into the ground in the regular season. Brown played Kobe way too much last year ... and Bynum too for that matter. If Brown doesn't conserve Nash, Nash could easily break down.

To go along with No. 2, Nash is pretty damn old. Add to that the fact that he's leaving Phoenix's legendary training staff and I have my doubts he can stay healthy and playing at a high level.

But if he does, they could become a monster.

So what's their ceiling? Ensure LeBron gets better ratings when he repeats?

Russo21
07-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Man that's fucked they got a baller of Nash's capabilities without getting rid of one of their bigs, d'oh!

Kidd K
07-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Lakers were a pretender last year. With Nash, they're legit again. . .as long as Kobe doesn't ball hog like he always does.

Steve Nash
Kobe Bryant
Ron Artest
Pau Gasol
Andrew Bynum

garbage ass bench. . .but it doesn't matter with that starting 5.

dunkman
07-05-2012, 03:08 AM
Solid pickup for the Lakers.

T Park
07-05-2012, 03:51 AM

Kind of like you with the spurs.

Hypocrit.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-05-2012, 06:54 AM
I dont understand though: how is Steve Nash gonna pass Kobe the rock when Kobes already got it?

:lol:rollin

Das Texan
07-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Did Fake Bill Walton really break this story?

If so then that is just :lol

Cane
07-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Holy shit. I thought it'd be a cold day in hell before Nash joined either the Lakers or Spurs given the playoffs battles. Nash must really want to fuck over Sarver, and who can blame Nash since he's the one that's been bringing Suns fans to their building.

Nash should make the Lakers better, but Brown and Kobe could run his bad back into the ground.

If the Lakers can trade one of their bigs for more athletic pick and roll players and 3 point shooters, then they're legit contenders. Right now they're still too old with too many holes to stand up in a 82 game season and playoffs, imo

Juggity
07-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Man that's fucked they got a baller of Nash's capabilities without getting rid of one of their bigs, d'oh!

They may not have had to sacrifice on e of their big men, but they appear to have partially sacrificed their future. Several valuable 2013 and 2014 picks.

ambchang
07-05-2012, 11:23 AM
This pick up has potential on paper for the Lakers, but realistically, this is not going to have much of a positive impact on them.

Nash is most definitely an upgrade over the Saviour, especially on the offensive end of the court, but when you really look at the Lakers offense, I have serious doubts whether Nash can fit in. Nash has always been, and will continue to be, the most effective when the ball is in his hands.

His greatest strength on offense is to keep the ball alive with his dribble and find open teammates, and the only way to do that is if you have the ball. Guess who else needs the ball on the Lakers? Kobe!

Kobe is a ball-dominant SG who has the most success with isolation plays. The only ways the two of them can work together on offense are:
1) Nash became a pure spot up shooter
2) Kobe became a spot up shooter and cutter, while giving the ball to Nash
3) Nash and Kobe split the ball handling duties (ie, a combination of 1 and 2)

This leaves Bynum as a low post player who would get feeds from Nash, and likely not as many touches as before unless the Lakers offense would change into a Nash/Bynum pick and roll fest.. Bynum was already complaining about touches in the past, so this may not end well.

On the positive though, is if the Lakers change up the offense enough to have Nash work the pick and roll with Gasol, or have Gasol and Bynum work the high low post with Nash as the feeder, or even run the triangle to some extent. This would pretty much be an unstoppable offense. The issue though is will Kobe allow this, and will Bynum work enough on a team offense environment to allow the Lakers to consistently run this offense.

On defense, Nash sucks. Both individual and team. There is very little they can do to stop a pick and roll, or perimeter isolation plays.

tuncaboylu
07-05-2012, 01:04 PM
It will be fun to watch Nash is trying to defend Westbrook or Parker. It will look like Cayote and Road Runner.

Spurtacus
07-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Dont kid yourselves. This trade makes the lakers a better team. We have to hope thy dont land howard for bynum. I do like hearing the lakers give up 4 picks but when was the last time the lakers builtbuilt their team through the draft? Both first rounders will be late 20s.

sehui
07-05-2012, 05:19 PM
fucking dicks. We'll, hopefully OKC, MEM or LAC will face them and knock them out next playoffs.

We probably wouldn't have beaten the Lakers in a 7 game series this year, and there's no way now.

rascal
07-05-2012, 05:52 PM
They may not have had to sacrifice on e of their big men, but they appear to have partially sacrificed their future. Several valuable 2013 and 2014 picks.

The lakers haven't sacrificed anything. They will trade some srub for a first round future pick. They are an aggressive organization and always find a way to leap frog other teams with front office moves.

spurraider21
07-05-2012, 07:12 PM
this becomes a lot scarier if they land howard. he's much more deadly rolling to the basket than bynum is. he's also a much much better defender than bynum. also hearing that j-rich is also being discussed in the deal. giving the lakers nash, dwight, kobe, and a knockdown shooter is scary talk

Duncan2177
07-05-2012, 07:15 PM
this becomes a lot scarier if they land howard. he's much more deadly rolling to the basket than bynum is. he's also a much much better defender than bynum. also hearing that j-rich is also being discussed in the deal. giving the lakers nash, dwight, kobe, and a knockdown shooter is scary talk

How's that even fair? Like Kobe needs all that help it's fucken BS

LkrFan
07-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Two comments:

1) Lakers have had one 1st round pick (Bynum in 2006) to be worth it's weight since Kobe (1996). Yet, since then, they've rang 5 times.

2) Teams don't build champions with mid to lower draft picks. The picks we gave away most likely wouldn't mean jack in the grand scheme of things.

Like I said downstairs, the Lakers filled a major hole without gutting their core players. Nash won't shit the bed like Sessions did. The Lakers were a few "better decisions" away from being up 3-1 against OKC. Now we've upgraded with the best available PG on the market. And you are worried about their future? The Lakers don't rebuild...they reload. And with that mega billion dollar TV contract, it won't be hard to get players to come to LA.

When Kobe, Nash, and Pau are off the books, the Lakers will still have Bynum - in his prime - and close to $60M coming off the books to attract FAs. :toast

racm
07-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Two comments:

1) Lakers have had one 1st round pick (Bynum in 2006) to be worth it's weight since Kobe (1996). Yet, since then, they've rang 5 times.

2) Teams don't build champions with mid to lower draft picks. The picks we gave away most likely wouldn't mean jack in the grand scheme of things.

Like I said downstairs, the Lakers filled a major hole without gutting their core players. Nash won't shit the bed like Sessions did. The Lakers were a few "better decisions" away from being up 3-1 against OKC. Now we've upgraded with the best available PG on the market. And you are worried about their future? The Lakers don't rebuild...they reload. And with that mega billion dollar TV contract, it won't be hard to get players to come to LA.

When Kobe, Nash, and Pau are off the books, the Lakers will still have Bynum - in his prime - and close to $60M coming off the books to attract FAs. :toast

Bynum was in 2005 actually...

sehui
07-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Two comments:

Every single team in the history of the NBA playoffs were "a few better decisions away" from winning the title.

When Kobe, Gasol, Nash are all gone and only Bynum is left, the LA free agency isn't going to be as enticing as it was during the Kobe and Shaq era. No one wants to play with some overgrown Tracy Morgan looking baby.

Unless the Lakers tank a couple seasons to get some really solid draftees that will allow LA to be potential contenders, you guys are just going be an 8th seed drafting Chris Mihms.

LkrFan
07-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Every single team in the history of the NBA playoffs were "a few better decisions away" from winning the title.

When Kobe, Gasol, Nash are all gone and only Bynum is left, the LA free agency isn't going to be as enticing as it was during the Kobe and Shaq era. No one wants to play with some overgrown Tracy Morgan looking baby.

Unless the Lakers tank a couple seasons to get some really solid draftees that will allow LA to be potential contenders, you guys are just going be an 8th seed drafting Chris Mihms.

I didn't say "a few better decisions away" from a title. Context. Read it.

And you are fooling yourself if you think that players won't want to play with a prime Bynum in Los Angeles, California. I'm expecting 25/15/3 from a prime Bynum. Who wouldn't want to play with someone like that? The good part: he's still about 2 years away from his prime. He's still figuring it out and he is already giving the Lakers 18.7/11.8/2. This at age 24 and not a #1 option.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-06-2012, 02:27 AM

Parker @ 29 and Manu @ 57 say hi. Otherwise I agree.

Wild Cobra Kai
07-06-2012, 07:29 AM
I didn't say "a few better decisions away" from a title. Context. Read it.

And you are fooling yourself if you think that players won't want to play with a prime Bynum in Los Angeles, California. I'm expecting 25/15/3 from a prime Bynum. Who wouldn't want to play with someone like that? The good part: he's still about 2 years away from his prime. He's still figuring it out and he is already giving the Lakers 18.7/11.8/2. This at age 24 and not a #1 option.

How much more "prime" do you honestly think he's going to get? He's 25 years old, and a seven year vet. He is what he is. If they lean on him for more touches and minutes when Kobe is gone, that knee is going to collapse. Hell, if Brown keeps playing him 35, it's going to buckle. He's pretty much at his ceiling now, 18/12.

ace3g
07-10-2012, 11:13 PM
https://p.twimg.com/Axfq2BkCAAIMPrX.jpg:large

** Thought this was in the NBA Forum...

Mel_13
10-15-2014, 05:57 PM

Top floor general? Couldn't even get a rookie to carry his bag.

timtonymanu
10-15-2014, 06:04 PM
:lol can't even carry bags
:lol collecting his free pay check
:lol Lakers

FuzzyLumpkins
10-15-2014, 06:06 PM
Steve Nash is fucking the Lakers. On the one hand it makes me think Nash is an untrustworthy piece of shit but on the other hand he is doing that against the Lakers.

It is a win win really. :)

Russ
10-15-2014, 06:58 PM

Next time, Nash should just say: "Kobe, carry your own damn bags." :(

KaiRMD1
10-15-2014, 07:03 PM
I feel like this is Nash's way at getting back at the lakers for 2010

Uriel
10-15-2014, 07:04 PM
http://www.nbamodasi.com/wp-content/dosyalar/2012/10/sportsillustrated.jpg

Stand
10-15-2014, 07:48 PM
The Phx training staff apparently really are miracle workers. Nash leaves those guys and now he can't even carry his freaking bags without getting hurt.

KaiRMD1
10-15-2014, 09:25 PM
The Phx training staff apparently really are miracle workers. Nash leaves those guys and now he can't even carry his freaking bags without getting hurt.

They worked wonders for Grant Hill. Anywhere else, Grant couldn't play a fraction of a season. In Phoenix, he has a resurgence and talk of the fountain of youth

benefactor
10-23-2014, 07:39 PM
:lol out for the season

SupremeGuy
10-23-2014, 08:01 PM
LOLAKERS :lol

ElNono
10-23-2014, 08:23 PM

:lol I told y'all Manu is underpaid

Uriel
10-23-2014, 09:47 PM
In 2013, the Spurs were an aging dynasty that was to be consigned into oblivion. The Miami Heat, with their brand new Big 3, were the class of the NBA, while the Lakers, with their Big 4, were supposed to be the Western superteam that was to compete with them. Those two superpowers were supposed to archenemies, destined to clash with each other in many NBA Finals for years to come, while the Spurs quietly faded into irrelevance. It was time for the old guard to make way for the new game in town. But contrary to everybody's expectations, something entirely different happened.

The Lakers stumbled out of the gate and went through an injury plagued season, culminating in Kobe's torn achilles. The Spurs promptly proceeded to sweep them out of the playoffs in the most lopsided series (by point differential) in NBA playoff history, with Dwight Howard symbolically getting ejected in the last game of his Laker career. He then bailed out of Los Angeles on his way to Houston. A year later, Kobe suffers another season-ending injury, Nash still can't stay healthy, and Gasol leaves in the offseason for Chicago, despite being offered more money to stay in Los Angeles.

The Heat, on the other hand, also fell victim to the Spurs, suffering through the most lopsided (by point differential) NBA Finals series in history. The destruction was so palpable, it sent LeBron scurrying back home to Cleveland and completely ended the championship-era in Miami.

The old guard was supposed to make way for the new game in town. The Spurs were supposed to quietly cede their throne to LA and Miami as they faded into irrelevance. Instead, they annihilated the Lakers and Heat super teams on their way redemption, ultimately reclaiming the NBA championship that rightfully belongs to them.

What a beautiful story. Such poetic justice. :cry

KaiRMD1
10-23-2014, 09:57 PM
In 2013, the Spurs were an aging dynasty that was to be consigned into oblivion. The Miami Heat, with their brand new Big 3, were the class of the NBA, while the Lakers, with their Big 4, were supposed to be the Western superteam that was to compete with them. Those two superpowers were supposed to archenemies, destined to clash with each other in many NBA Finals for years to come, while the Spurs quietly faded into irrelevance. It was time for the old guard to make way for the new game in town. But contrary to everybody's expectations, something entirely different happened.

The Lakers stumbled out of the gate and went through an injury plagued season, culminating in Kobe's torn achilles. The Spurs promptly proceeded to sweep them out of the playoffs in the most lopsided series (by point differential) in NBA playoff history, with Dwight Howard symbolically getting ejected in the last game of his Laker career. He then bailed out of Los Angeles on his way to Houston. A year later, Kobe suffers another season-ending injury, Nash still can't stay healthy, and Gasol leaves in the offseason for Chicago, despite being offered more money to stay in Los Angeles.

The Heat, on the other hand, also fell victim to the Spurs, suffering through the most lopsided (by point differential) NBA Finals series in history. The destruction was so palpable, it sent LeBron scurrying back home to Cleveland and completely ended the championship-era in Miami.

The old guard was supposed to make way for the new game in town. The Spurs were supposed to quietly cede their throne to LA and Miami as they faded into irrelevance. Instead, they annihilated the Lakers and Heat super teams on their way redemption, ultimately reclaiming the NBA championship that rightfully belongs to them.

What a beautiful story. Such poetic justice. :cry
http://i.imgur.com/E38Nu.gif
http://i.imgur.com/wzLV8.gif
https://i0.wp.com/img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110625132235/icarly/images/e/ea/Joker-Clapping.gif
https://31.media.tumblr.com/3db8f3fde858393755be908603c984da/tumblr_inline_naj9u8XYi81ri4erv.gif

Skull-1
10-23-2014, 11:42 PM
He's a dumb liberal any way. My heart bleeds. Not.

wildbill2u
10-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Nash was one of the greats in his day. I always hate to see a great player go out because of injuries or simply the fading skills of age instead of retiring near his peak or after a final great victory. If we don't respect and honor his playing ability, we diminish our victories against him.

EVAY
10-24-2014, 08:54 AM
This morning's report on Yahoo (or somewhere - I forget where I read it) is that Nash is done forever now, and is retiring. The storyline was about Kerr and Curry's reaction to the news - a clear statement of how low Nash's stock has become with the sports media.

The guy was a great pg, but I can't feel sorry for a guy who insisted on coming back this year when he had to know he was going to be nowhere near capable of what they had expected when the contract was signed. Had he retired prior to the season, he would have gotten less money for the final year of his contract, but the timing of this really stinks, imo.

I know that the above applies to Kobe as well, in spades, but I just think it is a testament to how much that culture out in L.A. is so different than the culture here in terms of guys doing the right thing for the team and everything else.

spursparker9
10-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Lakers should start tanking now, tbh.

moisaenz
10-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Steve Nash is fucking the Lakers. On the one hand it makes me think Nash is an untrustworthy piece of shit but on the other hand he is doing that against the Lakers.

It is a win win really. :)

In reality he is doing O'Neal a favor by screwing Kobe and the lakers for all those MVP's he stole from Shaq.

Fireball
10-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Hope he calls it a career now and quits ...

Skull-1
10-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Hope he calls it a career now and quits ...

This was supposedly his last season any way. Would be hard to come back at his age after a year off.

Ice009
10-24-2014, 06:11 PM
What's actually wrong with him? What happened?

10-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Lakers should start tanking now, tbh.
They already started doing that way before Nash got injured.

On another note, this is why I want Duncan to retire after this year. Suffering a career ending injury can happen at any time once you are this old. Would be a damn shame if it was an injury that forces Duncan to retire. Retiring after this year while still relatively on top allows Duncan to leave on his own terms.

exstatic
10-24-2014, 08:10 PM
What's actually wrong with him? What happened?

He has nerve damage in his back. The Lakers have essentially paid him $30M for one shortened season of basketball spread over 3 years.

exstatic
10-24-2014, 08:12 PM
They already started doing that way before Nash got injured.

On another note, this is why I want Duncan to retire after this year. Suffering a career ending injury can happen at any time once you are this old. Would be a damn shame if it was an injury that forces Duncan to retire. Retiring after this year while still relatively on top allows Duncan to leave on his own terms.

Tim's been disgustingly healthy over his career. Nash hasn't. This degenerative back thing has been a chronic issue with him, and the reason that Cuban declined to re-sign him TEN YEARS AGO.

mkurts
10-25-2014, 02:45 AM
Good riddance I say. The man can hardly play three years ago with his injuries yet the Lakers were stupid enough to sign him. Nash knows his back is fucked yet scammed the LA FO into a deal. Good bust