PDA

View Full Version : Spurs cap situation next summer

Big Empty
07-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Assuming Duncan, Diaw & Green resign with us and are under contract next year still, we would have about 37 million tied up in contracts. How much cap space would we have to sign a big free agent and maybe resign Gino & Jackson to smaller contracts? Im assuming Duncan signs on for 11 million, green for 4 milion, and diaw for 5.

sehui
07-05-2012, 04:49 PM
We are most likely not resigning Ginobili or Jackson next offseason.

They'll be 37 and 34 if I remember correctly, respectively. Maybe one year short stints if they still feel like they can ball at a high level w.o any injuries until Timmy's contracts over.

cd98
07-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Dallas Mavericks are saying cap space is overrated.

Big Empty
07-05-2012, 05:01 PM
true, but not only do we have expiring contracts to work on a trade this year, we may have cap space to work with next year.

Mel_13
07-05-2012, 05:28 PM
true, but not only do we have expiring contracts to work on a trade this year, we may have cap space to work with next year.

In most cases, using those expiring contracts in a trade this year will decrease the amount of cap space available next year. It's something we've seen the Spurs do in recent years. A bird in the hand and all that.

TMTTRIO
07-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Manu needs to retire. I know he's said he wants to play as long as he can but I wonder if he'll consider retiring if the Spurs aren't successful this season. He has nothing else to play for. Why not hang it up and spend more time with his kids.

UnWantedTheory
07-05-2012, 10:25 PM

They'll be 37 and 34 if I remember correctly, respectively. Maybe one year short stints if they still feel like they can ball at a high level w.o any injuries until Timmy's contracts over.
36 & 35 methinks.

ViceCity86
07-05-2012, 10:42 PM

Exactly why Spurs should give Duncan a one year 15 mill.

Hooks
07-05-2012, 11:36 PM
The only way I can see Manu coming back is if he remains injury free and the Spurs get back to the WCF or make it to the Finals.

Manu was quoted as saying that he probably had around 2 years left and that was prior to this season meaning that this is probably his very last season as a Spur.