PDA

View Full Version : Ground Bacon Burger

Fat boy
07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/ground-bacon-burger-10388403

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/Cm/esq-merica-burger-lg.jpg

Like us, you probably love bacon burgers — who doesn't appreciate a thick-cut slice of pork to top off a decadent beef patty? But what about a slice of pork to top off a decadent, uh, pork patty? Slater's 50/50, located in Anaheim, California, is celebrating the month of July by offering just that. The chain is known for its slightly unorthodox burgers: There's a "Peanut Butter and Jealousy" and "Burger Carbonara" on their menu (yes, that first one actually does mix up meat, peanut butter, and jelly — and it, too, is topped with bacon).

The 'Merica burger, as it's billed, boasts "100-percent ground bacon plus thick-cut bacon, a sunny-side-up egg, our new 'bacon island' dressing, all topped with bacon cheddar cheese." Granted, that's a lot of bacon. But too much? We have, after all, seen this kind of thing before, and there's definitely a bacon-loving part of us that's curious. It does raise another question, however: Is there something uniquely American about grinding up a lot of fatty pork slab, forming it into a ball, and throwing it on the grill?

:tu :tu

Wild Cobra Kai
07-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Barf.

TheMACHINE
07-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Ima try that. I don't live too far.Lol

xeromass
07-07-2012, 05:33 AM
No Baconnaise? Fail.

CosmicCowboy
07-07-2012, 10:27 AM
No Baconnaise? Fail.

X2

forgot the bacon salt too.

http://www.baconsalt.com/

leemajors
07-07-2012, 11:03 AM
I had a bacon sausage at Contigo a few weeks ago, it was delicious.

Drachen
07-07-2012, 12:13 PM
I would like to take off the bacon island dressing, cut the burger in half, then in half again, and eat that. I am a real 'Murican, I love bacon.

baseline bum
07-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Bacon Island dressing. :vomit:

CuckingFunt
07-07-2012, 12:48 PM
All this does is make me sad.

There probably isn't really a Bacon Island. :depressed

Woo Bum-kon
07-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Bacon is the most overrated food on the planet.

CuckingFunt
07-07-2012, 01:03 PM

I think it's overrated as a food item. As much as I love bacon, I very seldom just sit down and eat some bacon. If I'm going to eat a pork-based breakfast meat on its own, it's going to be sausage.

However, I do think it's worthy of its praise as an ingredient.

leemajors
07-07-2012, 01:15 PM
I think it's overrated as a food item. As much as I love bacon, I very seldom just sit down and eat some bacon. If I'm going to eat a pork-based breakfast meat on its own, it's going to be sausage.

However, I do think it's worthy of its praise as an ingredient.

a good portion of badass dishes owe a lot to bacon fat

baseline bum
07-07-2012, 01:45 PM
a good portion of badass dishes owe a lot to bacon fat

Man does it suck when you go to a Mexican restaurant and you can tell their refried beans weren't cooked in bacon fat.

InRareForm
07-07-2012, 05:12 PM

No, it's not.

IronMexican
07-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Bacon is good, but it will always ride Eggs coat tails.

scott
07-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Been to the Slaters 50/50 in San Diego. They in fact do have Bacon Salt and Bacon Ketchup.

It's a crazy monstrosity of a burger that is absolutely delicious, but I'm not in a hurry to go back. I felt like dying for the rest of the night after eating that thing. They also have a Peanut Butter Nutella shake that was off the chain.

Edit: I've actually only had the 50/50 burger, which is 50% ground beef and 50% ground bacon. This 'Merica Burger is a little much for me.

MannyIsGod
07-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Not a bacon burger, but have a burger with a nice over easy egg on it and its fucking delicous. Runny eggs + bacon on a burger is awesome.

Hooks
07-07-2012, 11:18 PM

Fuck you son of a bitch.

CuckingFunt
07-08-2012, 04:37 AM
Not a bacon burger, but have a burger with a nice over easy egg on it and its fucking delicous. Runny eggs + bacon on a burger is awesome.

A bar I used to go to a lot in Humboldt has a burger called the eye opener; patty, slice of ham, bacon, and a fried egg. Greasy bar food, but using fresh/local/organic/grass-fed/etc. ingredients. It was fucking amazing.

And I've yet to find a single food item that isn't improved by the addition of runny egg yolk.

Insomniac
07-08-2012, 05:31 AM
Runny egg yolks are disgusting.

JudynTX
07-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Runny egg yolks are disgusting.

No they aren't. A nice homemade flour tortilla will take care of that.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Man does it suck when you go to a Mexican restaurant and you can tell their refried beans weren't cooked in bacon fat.

That! Mendez sure does it.

man on wire
07-10-2012, 09:10 AM
I eat my eggs hard-boiled.

JudynTX
07-10-2012, 09:11 AM
I eat my eggs hard-boiled.

That's what she said.

The Gemini Method
07-10-2012, 10:43 AM
No Baconnaise? Fail.

They actually do have Baconnaise...

Slater's 50/50 is a dream if you're one of those that has good levels of Triglycerides and/or workout like a machine. You can add anything to your burger--which is also 50% bacon 50% sirloin or whatever cut of meat they use. Then you get your choice of a thousand toppings and a chance to name your burger. That's how they know which burger yours is and the waitresses aren't bad at the Huntington Beach one.

TheMachine -- careful with the sauces--I made the mistake of getting too much cheese-based sauce that it ruined the burger experience for me.

I would still take Father's Office or Umami over this place, but it isn't a bad burger by any stretch of the imagination.

baseline bum
07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
A bar I used to go to a lot in Humboldt has a burger called the eye opener; patty, slice of ham, bacon, and a fried egg. Greasy bar food, but using fresh/local/organic/grass-fed/etc. ingredients. It was fucking amazing.

And I've yet to find a single food item that isn't improved by the addition of runny egg yolk.

I love runny eggs (the way I always cook them at home for breakfast), but on a burger the egg has be over hard. I also skip the bacon in that case, since it drowns out the flavor of the egg on the burger.

Blake
07-10-2012, 01:12 PM
CaK9bjLy3v4

The Gemini Method
07-10-2012, 03:01 PM
I love runny eggs (the way I always cook them at home for breakfast), but on a burger the egg has be over hard. I also skip the bacon in that case, since it drowns out the flavor of the egg on the burger.

Agreed. Love bacon, but it's dominant smoky flavor supercedes the egg flavor on a burger and therefore, should be used in an either/or situation with regards to having an egg on your burger or not. Either way, you can't go wrong even if your preference is to have both.

ididnotnothat
07-10-2012, 03:06 PM
I too hate runny egg yolks. It looks like vomit.

baseline bum
07-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Agreed. Love bacon, but it's dominant smoky flavor supercedes the egg flavor on a burger and therefore, should be used in an either/or situation with regards to having an egg on your burger or not. Either way, you can't go wrong even if your preference is to have both.

Yeah, it's almost like chili in that no other topping makes any difference once bacon is there.

leemajors
07-10-2012, 09:10 PM
The doucheburger:

http://boingboing.net/2012/07/10/behold-the-doucheburger.html

http://boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/this-is-666burgers-doucheburger-it-is-gold.jpg