PDA

View Full Version : True Hoop:Jack McCallum Tells Story about Dream Team and David Robinson

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Saw this on true hoop. Jack McCallum tells anecdote about Dream Team in Monaco playing golf, specifically Barkley and David Robinson, and Barkley's excessive cursing getting under Robinson's skin.

video link -http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8134942

Juggity
07-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Chasing Rodman around with a bible.
Chasing Barkley around with a bible.

Par for the course, tbh.

weebo
07-06-2012, 05:05 PM
The one knock I have against DRob is that he comes off like a bit jerk with those not inline with his ideology. Not very tolerant.

Destro
07-06-2012, 05:30 PM
some people drink too much, some people pray too much. everyone has problems

Thompson
07-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Not 'tolerant'? McCallum said David wasn't a jerk about it; he didn't insist they do things his way, he only asked once to tone it down. When they couldn't, he quietly excused himself (he apparently didn't make a big scene or have a 'holier-than-thou' attitude). How is getting tired of non-stop foul language (and quietly leaving) intolerant? It just starts to grate on you after a while -why should he stay and be miserable?

blizz
07-06-2012, 05:51 PM
I dont see anything wrong with that at all. Infact it makes me proud.

SpurPadre
07-06-2012, 06:25 PM
And Da Admiral and Charles have a good relationship to this day, too.

Dunc n Dave
07-06-2012, 07:18 PM
The one knock I have against DRob is that he comes off like a bit jerk with those not inline with his ideology. Not very tolerant.

So a parent with kids around them that asks a group of guys nearby to keep the language clean around their kids is being "intolerant?"

From wathcing the video, it seemed that Jack thought David handled it respectfully. It seems to me he was VERY tolerant of it, but when they decided not to honor his request he removed himself from the situation. Nothing wrong with that....

weebo
07-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Not 'tolerant'? McCallum said David wasn't a jerk about it; he didn't insist they do things his way, he only asked once to tone it down. When they couldn't, he quietly excused himself (he apparently didn't make a big scene or have a 'holier-than-thou' attitude). How is getting tired of non-stop foul language (and quietly leaving) intolerant? It just starts to grate on you after a while -why should he stay and be miserable?

He's a grown man who is part of a club of elite athletes. Grown men are allowed to spit, cuss, and fart around each other. It's what builds camaraderie. If he didn't like what was going on he could of just played it cool and not hang with them again, but instead he comes off being the choir boy drama queen.

DMC
07-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Normally I would agree that religious folk who volunteer to be in a crowd then ask the crowd to respect their sensitivity toward things they have themselves done are off the mark, but it's clear that David was asked to join the group, and in order to remain there comfortably he requested the atmosphere be tolerable to him. It was until Charles made (probably intentional) light of it at which time David excused himself. Nothing wrong with that, pure class, just like David always was.

Had it instead been Dwight Howard, he would have probably gotten someone in the group preggers.

weebo
07-06-2012, 09:48 PM
So a parent with kids around them that asks a group of guys nearby to keep the language clean around their kids is being "intolerant?"

From wathcing the video, it seemed that Jack thought David handled it respectfully. It seems to me he was VERY tolerant of it, but when they decided not to honor his request he removed himself from the situation. Nothing wrong with that....

No kids were around...just a bunch of jocks talking smack. He's passive-aggressive attitude may have come off to you as very tolerant, but don't sit there and say that if you were with a group of your buddies talking shit and one of your friends got up and left because you were dropping f-bombs left and right you wouldn't think lesser of the guy. :lmao

weebo
07-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Normally I would agree that religious folk who volunteer to be in a crowd then ask the crowd to respect their sensitivity toward things they have themselves done are off the mark, but it's clear that David was asked to join the group, and in order to remain there comfortably he requested the atmosphere be tolerable to him. It was until Charles made (probably intentional) light of it at which time David excused himself. Nothing wrong with that, pure class, just like David always was.

Had it instead been Dwight Howard, he would have probably gotten someone in the group preggers.

Well you know dem navy boys...squared away...nary a cuss word.

Isn't that sort of pretentious, tho? The group has to acquiesce to your every whim or you'll just take your ball and go home.

Listen, I get it. David Robinson is a great guy, a good role model, and a pillar of the community. But seriously he was asked to join a game of golf with a group of guys that included Charles Barkely. What did he expect? Everyone sit around the ninth hole, hold hands, and sing Kumbaya.

ploto
07-06-2012, 10:03 PM
I think if this were to happen today that David's response might be a little more moderate. At that time, I think he was fairly "new" in his religious fervor and acted, like many in that situation, that he needed to make bolder statements to display and to prove his faith.

blizz
07-06-2012, 10:22 PM

Isn't that sort of pretentious, tho? The group has to acquiesce to your every whim or you'll just take your ball and go home.

Listen, I get it. David Robinson is a great guy, a good role model, and a pillar of the community. But seriously he was asked to join a game of golf with a group of guys that included Charles Barkely. What did he expect? Everyone sit around the ninth hole, hold hands, and sing Kumbaya.

you're a dick.

Sean Cagney
07-06-2012, 11:17 PM
He played on a court where some "thugs" were in the NBA until 2003, I am sure he had to get used to the N word all the time being uses and F*CK and so on by then! I hear it on the TV during games you watch live, they players talk alot of crap and curse a whole lot! At the end of the day a curse word is man made, I could make up a word today and tell you it's bad and make it that, well that to me is what curse words are. I respect D ROB though and his love for GOD! No doubt thats cool, but the profession you are in you will hear a whole lot of that being around younger NBA players who are drinking etc.

weebo
07-06-2012, 11:32 PM
you're a dick.

Why, because I have an opinion that doesn't agree with yours? That's pretty intolerant of you.

DMC
07-06-2012, 11:39 PM

Did you read my post? It would be pretentious if he expected them to acquiesce, but he didn't. He asked them to, and when they did not, he exercised free will to do other things elsewhere. Nothing at all wrong with that.

He was asked.

Nice bifurcation at the end btw.

weebo
07-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Did you read my post? It would be pretentious if he expected them to acquiesce, but he didn't. He asked them to, and when they did not, he exercised free will to do other things elsewhere. Nothing at all wrong with that.

He was asked.

Nice bifurcation at the end btw.

It's not like he didn't know these guys and what type of behavior usually follows. So, yes its a little pretentious of David to think that because he is a bible thumper everyone should expect to be on their best behavior because of his beliefs.

And by the way, I never said he was wrong for asking them to tone it down and when they didn't he left. I just said he came off looking like an intolerant butt hurt drama queen because those big bad NBA players were using dirty words.

Just go to sleep old man.